PDA

View Full Version : NOW wants Paterno to resign...

CarMike
01-09-2006, 06:01 AM
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- A leader from the women's rights group NOW has asked Joe Paterno to resign over comments the Penn State football coach made about an alleged sexual assault.

Joanne Tosti-Vasey, president of the National Organization for Women in Pennsylvania, said Sunday that she was "appalled" by Paterno's comments last week and that they represent an institutional insensitivity that endangers women.

ADVERTISEMENT
Paterno's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked about Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson, who was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players. He then added: "There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?"

"Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

Tosti-Vasey issued a news release calling for Paterno to apologize and step down from the post he has held for 40 years. She sent an e-mail to Paterno and the university president the next day, but said Sunday she has not heard back from either.

Read the rest here... (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-pennst-paterno-now&prov=ap&type=lgns)

RedskinRyan
01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
lets see, if he's not gonna listen to the university when they asked him to step down, what chance does this woman have? joepa is a tremendous person, and will be sorely missed whenever he leaves.

BurgundyNGold
01-09-2006, 10:00 AM
No kidding. I guess things are kind of slow up there at NOW since there really isn't any need for an Equal Rights Ammendment.

Seriously though, I saw what JoePa said on ESPN and it didn't seem offensive at all. Maybe I'm missing something?

PennSkinsFan
01-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Screw NOW

BurgundyNGold
01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Screw NOW
LMAO! That should be a bumper sticker.

Axegrinder
01-09-2006, 12:51 PM
It may have been his inference that if they came to his door that he'd pass them down.Also he infered that the players were naive,when he said:"what would you do?"
It's a two way street JoePa.
Some girls may be naive enough to just want to meet the players.
Highly doubtful,but possible.
I could see where his comments could offend,but he is from the Humphry Bogart generation.

VTBob
01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I think his comments can be perceived as offensive, but coming from a man of an older generation I wouldn't take them as such. He's old fashioned, his comments weren't straight-out saying "oh rape is no big deal" so NOW should shove it...

RedskinsDave
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Screw NOW

They have three letters and I have two for them.

CNYSkinFan
01-09-2006, 01:31 PM
His comments weren't as offensive as say Bobby Knight's "If you are gonna get raped just lie back and enjoy it." or Colorado's coach implying that the girlm kicker got assaulted because she scould not kick a football and was not respected enough. However he should know when asked about sexual assault the best answer is to refer it to the investigating body and let that be it.

BurgundyNGold
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
His comments weren't as offensive as say Bobby Knight's "If you are gonna get raped just lie back and enjoy it." or Colorado's coach implying that the girlm kicker got assaulted because she scould not kick a football and was not respected enough. However he should know when asked about sexual assault the best answer is to refer it to the investigating body and let that be it.
He's 900 years old! He's lucky if he can remember if he put his diaper on this morning, lol.

Axegrinder
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Well...... every year the lesson isn't learned.

BurgundyNGold
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Well...... every year the lesson isn't learned.
By either the guys OR the girls.

Axegrinder
01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
By either the guys OR the girls.
The coaches.

BurgundyNGold
01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
The coaches.
Them too. It's just sad that we keep hearing about the same sexual misconduct incidents happening year after year after year. If the coaches, the players or the groupies changed their behavior, we could rid ourselves of these brutish incidents.

CarMike
01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the United States of the Offended.

IowaSkinsFan
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Calling out JoePa, who has given more money to higher learning than everyone from NOW combined. NOW that's smart!

The Skinsinator
01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
You can't touch Mr. JoePa. Sorry that's just the way it is although her claim is interesting. He would have to do alot more far worse things to face any discipline/consequences from.

Patrick
01-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Joanne Tosti-Vasey - Figures - it's one of those hyphenated type woMEN.

CarMike
01-10-2006, 06:51 AM
LMAO! My first thought as well.

bwparker
01-10-2006, 09:23 AM
NOW is just doing this to get publicity. I have to believe they aren't stupid enough to think he'll actually quit or get fired, they just want thier organization and issues to be seen and heard and are using this as a platform.

BurgundyNGold
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM
LMAO! My first thought as well.
Me too. ;)

VTBob
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
JoePa issued a statement around the time he just won his fifth AP coach of the year award saying he only considers calls to resign if its from a legit source, such as the players or his staff - ie, not NOW :D

J-Rod
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
NOW is just doing this to get publicity. I have to believe they aren't stupid enough to think he'll actually quit or get fired, they just want thier organization and issues to be seen and heard and are using this as a platform.

I couldn't agree more. This woman and her organization just want to attack someone in the limelight to bolster their sagging social credentials. While i can see where some of what he said could be seen as a little "off-base", anyone with half a brain can see that he meant nothing negative towards the woman of the world with his comments. I will bet my life that she just read the first paragraph of the transcript, while not even attempting to watch the video of the media conference or reading the interview entirely, and came up with her assessment of Paterno's true feelings on the matter.

I get really ill with today's society sometimes...:banghead:

Axegrinder
01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Oink Oink!!!

BurgundyNGold
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Oink Oink!!!
Are you saying she's a porker? Axe, that's not nice. :)

Axegrinder
01-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Are you saying she's a porker? Axe, that's not nice. :)
Not at all.
The previous statement could be construed as chauvinistic,hence my response.