PDA

View Full Version : Patten was healthy enough to play?

PennSkinsFan
01-17-2006, 08:20 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601296.html

wewantdallas
01-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Hmm, that's a little surprising, but I think they did the right thing by keeping him out. That can be a tricky injury, and it's pretty amazing to think he was really "100 percent" after that surgery. He certainly didn't sound bitter or anything, so hopefully he'll make the same kind of statement next year that Moss made this year.

dj_stouty
01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
At the time, (Nov 17th) the injury was believed to be season-ending...thus he was placed on IR. If he felt 100% the last few weeks, then good for him. The team had to move on and not waste a roster spot hoping to prove the doctors wrong.

hail2skins
01-17-2006, 08:39 AM
At the time, (Nov 17th) the injury was believed to be season-ending...thus he was placed on IR. If he felt 100% the last few weeks, then good for him. The team had to move on and not waste a roster spot hoping to prove the doctors wrong.I agree. It would be nice if the IR only covered the regular season.

Spence
01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Such is life.

vbskins
01-17-2006, 08:46 AM
he said they knew there was a chance that could happen, but had to make the IR call because if they did not make playoffs it would not have mattered. Based on what they did before and after his injury, do ypou really think it would have mattered much. Brunell was making 2 reads Moss, Cooley, and running. Although against Seattle, he was actually checking down to Portis for the first time all season.

hail2skins
01-17-2006, 08:53 AM
he said they knew there was a chance that could happen, but had to make the IR call because if they did not make playoffs it would not have mattered. Based on what they did before and after his injury, do ypou really think it would have mattered much. Brunell was making 2 reads Moss, Cooley, and running. Although against Seattle, he was actually checking down to Portis for the first time all season.You can't be serious about this. He's checked down to him before this season.

Redskin4Life
01-17-2006, 08:53 AM
he said they knew there was a chance that could happen, but had to make the IR call because if they did not make playoffs it would not have mattered. Based on what they did before and after his injury, do ypou really think it would have mattered much. Brunell was making 2 reads Moss, Cooley, and running. Although against Seattle, he was actually checking down to Portis for the first time all season.
Oh no, here comes a Ramsey debate... I'm outta here.

redskin_rich
01-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Maybe he felt healthy but what if we didn't IR him and he didn't get healthy. Or what if he went back out and reinjured himself worse? This is a non-issue, I'm not going to second guess the staff on this one. I'm glad to hear that Patten is healthy, he is going to need to be to fight for his spot next season.

CNYSkinFan
01-17-2006, 09:21 AM
It may have been another mistake by the training staff, but it is not Gibb's fault. he trusted them and then made the call. This is now strike 3 for the trainign staff in my opinion (making the call on Barrow, Arrington's injury setback, and now misdiagnosing Patten) but I am not sure all of those are completely their fault.

Axegrinder
01-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Consider this more of the learning curve.
At least it's got Patten chomping at the bit.

The Skinsinator
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
This is interesting. IMO, Patten is a very good #3 not even 2. Let's get that big effective #2 and insert David as #3. That's how he primarily used in New England and put up really nice stats. Glad to hear his injury is going alot better.

Cowboys Suck
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't know if i would be so quick to fault the training staff on this one. Just because Patten felt 100% doesn't mean he actually was. Just because a surgically repaired knee feels good enduring the rigors of everyday life (going up/down stairs, walking, running, etc.....) doesn't mean that he would have been effective enough in his movement to add another WR option. Even saying all of that...... he might still have been a better option than TJ injury or not.

smoak
01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, IMHO this is a non-issue. Roster spots are more valuable than gold to an NFL franchise and it is rare that one is held for an injured player that may not be back. We needed immediate help to win 5 in a row just to get to the playoffs.

I agree that I wish IR only lasted for the regular season, but rules are rules I guess.

wewantdallas
01-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Even saying all of that...... he might still have been a better option than TJ injury or not.

When you look at Jacob's production, I think Herve Villachez could've been a better option. At least he could've confused defenders by saying, "Look, Da Ball, Da Ball!"

Of course, him being dead for a few years now probably would've worked against him.

CNYSkinFan
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Ironically it is because of Gibbs first tenure that IR was changed to a season ending placement since Gibbs used to use IR to stow talent and get over the roster limit.

helimech24
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I am with most of people here. This is a meaningless issue because of what happened cost him the season. The trainers were right, he was out all season. Because we made it to the playoffs, doesn't mean that they were wrong. This actually good news because it means he will be 100% to start next year when we make our SB run.

3644Skins
01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
At the time, (Nov 17th) the injury was believed to be season-ending...thus he was placed on IR. If he felt 100% the last few weeks, then good for him. The team had to move on and not waste a roster spot hoping to prove the doctors wrong.

We wasted a roster spot when John Hall was hurt all those weeks, same deal to me. Except in that case Novak was out performing Hall in my opnion.

SkinsfaninNJ
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
This is not an un-common occurence. In fact, Carolina is dealing with the same issue now with Stephen Davis. It made sense based on the injury and the need for the roster spot (I think for Farris, if I recall correctly) to IR him.

DoGood
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
That would have been nice if he could have made it back for the postseason even after being placed on IR, but I think his conditioning would be a different matter all together.

burgundy4life
01-17-2006, 09:16 PM
This is interesting. IMO, Patten is a very good #3 not even 2. Let's get that big effective #2 and insert David as #3. That's how he primarily used in New England and put up really nice stats. Glad to hear his injury is going alot better.

As a #3 reciever he wont hardly see the field much less a football!

in this order the ball will fly

1. moss
2. cooley
4. patten

good grief he never seen the ball as a #2. I wonder why honestly?

B4L

BigPlayJay
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe he felt healthy but what if we didn't IR him and he didn't get healthy. Or what if he went back out and reinjured himself worse? This is a non-issue, I'm not going to second guess the staff on this one. I'm glad to hear that Patten is healthy, he is going to need to be to fight for his spot next season.

I'm with you Rich. While it was interesting to hear Gibbs talk about it yesterday, it's a non-issue. Remember at the end of last season jansen said he could have played the end of the season? Patten wasn't real great this season anyways, I would have hated to see a playing-with-an-injury version of him in the playoffs!

DoGood
01-17-2006, 09:36 PM
As a #3 reciever he wont hardly see the field much less a football!

in this order the ball will fly

1. moss
2. cooley
4. patten

good grief he never seen the ball as a #2. I wonder why honestly?

B4L

Do you know that you misspelled Burgundy in your Screen name?

santanadasavior
01-17-2006, 10:54 PM

good call

helimech24
01-17-2006, 10:55 PM
good call
:lol1:

DoGood
01-17-2006, 10:57 PM
good call

That is probably THE single misspelling that I cannot stand on this board.

Runners up include; hole and whole, lose and loose

helimech24
01-17-2006, 10:59 PM
That is probably THE single misspelling that I cannot stand on this board.

Runners up include; hole and whole, lose and loose

there and their tick me off.

LuvSkins17
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
When you look at Jacob's production, I think Herve Villachez could've been a better option. At least he could've confused defenders by saying, "Look, Da Ball, Da Ball!"

Of course, him being dead for a few years now probably would've worked against him.
Hell,........ Jaun Valdez would have been a better upgrade than Jacobs.....:lol1: At least he could have provided fresh coffee to the team mates. Jacobs should be gone after this season. Gibbs just seems to really care about all of the players. It's cool that he never blasts players in the media.

SimplyZ
01-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Hell,........ Jaun Valdez would have been a better upgrade than Jacobs.....:lol1: At least he could have provided fresh coffee to the team mates. Jacobs should be gone after this season. Gibbs just seems to really care about all of the players. It's cool that he never blasts players in the media.
we shoulda just called nick novak back to play instead of jacobs...he has more experience than jacobs...especially when it comes to beating the seahawks

dj_stouty
01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
We wasted a roster spot when John Hall was hurt all those weeks, same deal to me. Except in that case Novak was out performing Hall in my opnion.

Hall's injury wasn't as serious as Patten's injury.

Therefore...the FO took different paths on both players.

GolfFreak
01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
It would be nice if the IR only covered the regular season.

The Carolina Panthers would agree with you -- apparently Steven Davis is healthy enough to play.

Too bad for Patten, it would've been nice to have his 22 catches for 200 yards on the field ...

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
For such a "team player", David Patten sure is developing a pattern of opening his mouth.

ChiefPowhatan17
01-18-2006, 10:26 AM
We needed him, but we shouldn't have, but some people didn't step up to all the talk that people said how good they were. (Jacobs) buster.

burgundy4life
01-18-2006, 12:01 PM

i didnt know you had to be an english major with a minor in creative writing to be a member here but ill definitly work on the skills a bit just for you!

B4L

smoak
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
i didnt know you had to be an english major with a minor in creative writing to be a member here but ill definitly work on the skills a bit just for you!

B4L

B4L -

First off, welcome to HR!

Secondly, don't take it personally. I hope you stay for a long time, but you definitely can't have thin skin baby! Everyone gets called out once in awhile. :D

stonebraker
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
It's pretty easy to second guess after the season is done. I was suprised by the move at the time, but we needed the roster spot. I was also suprised by the C. Clemons move to the IR, on a 2-3 week injury if I'm right. Granted, this was at the end of the season, but we could really have used his help in the playoffs. Maybe that's just me being high on Clemons though, since I think hes a viable option for the Pass rushing DE everyone seems to crave.

The only question I'll bring up is: Was Nemo Broughton's roster spot really necessary? I guess if we were willing to start the season with him, we weren't really going to let him go. Still...

Edit: I don't know why so many people are so low on Patten. Who cares if he only had 22 Catches when he went out? Who cares if he dropped a few passes. He can get open sometimes, and thats more than we can say about Jimmy Farris or Taylor "OMG I THINK I GOTS A CONCUSSION" Jacobs. Our coaching staff and FO have proved everyone wrong with their Free Agency acquisitions thus far, I think Patten will show his stuff next year.

DoGood
01-18-2006, 12:12 PM

B4L

I wasn't attacking you. I just wasn't sure that you knew and found it slightly humorous. Please, enjoy hR.com with us and discuss the Redskins.:)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I wasn't attacking you. I just wasn't sure that you knew and found it slightly humorous. Please, enjoy hR.com with us and discuss the Redskins.:)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
He's not the only one who has done this. Unlike some folks, at least our new friend is not so far in that everyone has noticed yet. There's still time!!!

helimech24
01-18-2006, 12:21 PM
B4L -

First off, welcome to HR!

Secondly, don't take it personally. I hope you stay for a long time, but you definitely can't have thin skin baby! Everyone gets called out once in awhile. :D

Totally agree with ya Smoak. Don't have thick skin around here because of discussions and jokes.

smoak
01-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Totally agree with ya Smoak. Don't have thick skin around here because of discussions and jokes.

Yeah, you have to know that at the end of the day we're on big happy family... albeit very dysfunctional and at times embarrassing. :D

helimech24
01-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you have to know that at the end of the day we're on big happy family... albeit very dysfunctional and at times embarrassing. :D

I don't think we help matters either.:lol1: We are like two little kids poking a stick...

becky
01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
For such a "team player", David Patten sure is developing a pattern of opening his mouth.

Yeah, I agree. This worries me for next year. If we bring someone in to fill the #2 role, I worry how Patten will react. Didn't he go on and on about how he was so pumped up about being the #2 here? I could do without another disgruntled WR (ala Coles).

DoGood
01-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I agree. This worries me for next year. If we bring someone in to fill the #2 role, I worry how Patten will react. Didn't he go on and on about how he was so pumped up about being the #2 here? I could do without another disgruntled WR (ala Coles).

I think he also went off earlier this season about not getting enough balls thrown his way.

LadyNRedskinsfan
01-18-2006, 02:09 PM
oh well. too late now, lol.....

becky
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I think he also went off earlier this season about not getting enough balls thrown his way.

Yeah he did. I hope he gets his act together, because I think he could be an assset to the team, but not like this. Does he really think mouthing off to the media is a good way to get more productivity? Just shut up and work hard.

DoGood
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah he did. I hope he gets his act together, because I think he could be an assset to the team, but not like this. Does he really think mouthing off to the media is a good way to get more productivity? Just shut up and work hard.

Well put.

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 02:29 PM
That's what the other 52 or so are doing -- even LaVar. Still, if we get a #2 with decent size and move Patten to the Z, we'll be pretty darn good.

Moss = Gary Clark
Monk = ???
Patten = Ricky Sanders

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Monk = ???
Reggie Wayne, I don't care what he costs.

DoGood
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Reggie Wayne, I don't care what he costs.

You guys are KILLING me with this Reggie Wayne business!:bangdesk:

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 02:54 PM
You guys are KILLING me with this Reggie Wayne business!:bangdesk:If we can find a way to afford him I don't see why we wouldn't want the best available player on our team.

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
If we can find a way to afford him I don't see why we wouldn't want the best available player on our team.
Wayne is a talent, I'll grant you that, but he will likely end up in Philly before he ends up here. You can take that one to the bank too.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Wayne is a talent, I'll grant you that, but he will likely end up in Philly before he ends up here. You can take that one to the bank too.Ugh... I hope not.

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Ugh... I hope not.
They've got the $$$ and we don't. They've got the #1 WR slot open and we don't. Really, we don't have much to offer the guy aside from the ability to play with Moss and Portis, his college buddies.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
They've got the $$$ and we don't. They've got the #1 WR slot open and we don't. Really, we don't have much to offer the guy aside from the ability to play with Moss and Portis, his college buddies.Well he'll take that and like it mister!!

DoGood
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
If we can find a way to afford him I don't see why we wouldn't want the best available player on our team.

Because would you sign Edgerian James as a back up running back? Or Deangelo Hall as a number 2 corner? His talent just isn't necessary to fill our need. We don't NEED him and I guarantee you that Gibbs won't even seriously consider signing him. Why would you sign Reggie Wayne if he is going to be getting less than half of the passes between Moss, Patten, Cooley and him?

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Because would you sign Edgerian James as a back up running back? Or Deangelo Hall as a number 2 corner? His talent just isn't necessary to fill our need. We don't NEED him and I guarantee you that Gibbs won't even seriously consider signing him. Why would you sign Reggie Wayne if he is going to be getting less than half of the passes between Moss, Patten, Cooley and him?He'd be playing the same role he does now in Indy. He has never been a number one. I don't see the problem with having too much talent on the field, besides money issues.

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
He'd be playing the same role he does now in Indy. He has never been a number one. I don't see the problem with having too much talent on the field, besides money issues.
You see, I think that's part of why he'd leave Indy. Think about it. Why leave if you're willing to settle for #2 money? He's already a #2 up in Indy and they went 13-3, do it's not like he'd be leaving a bad team.

I think he's looking for top WR money and a top WR slot. He'll get both from somebody, only it won't be us. I speculate that if he leaves at all he will go to Philly because they have both the cap room and the dire need for a true top WR. PLus, McNabb is a top QB so all the pieces are in place for him to be successful. JMO.

DoGood
01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
He'd be playing the same role he does now in Indy. He has never been a number one. I don't see the problem with having too much talent on the field, besides money issues.

Money issues are what your going to get. He is the premier WR on the market. He is going to be someone's number one and they are going to pay him number one money. And to say he will never be a number one isn't fair IMO. Watching him play, I realize he is quite an athlete. He is built like a number one and he has skills.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:30 PM
You see, I think that's part of why he'd leave Indy. Think about it. Why leave if you're willing to settle for #2 money? He's already a #2 up in Indy and they went 13-3, do it's not like he'd be leaving a bad team.

I think he's looking for top WR money and a top WR slot. He'll get both from somebody, only it won't be us. I speculate that if he leaves at all he will go to Philly because they have both the cap room and the dire need for a true top WR. PLus, McNabb is a top QB so all the pieces are in place for him to be successful. JMO.Lets just say I would like to see him come here, It is unrealistic that he will but I can dream can't I? Indy IMO is done. Losing this year in the divisionals will have every player but Harrison and Manning questioning whether they should move on to another team so I don't see him staying there. I would just like to them both on the field at the same time (Moss & Wayne) it would be a beautiful thing to see again IMO.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
. And to say he will never be a number one isn't fair IMO. I said has never been...

DoGood
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I said has never been...

You also said he would be playing the same role he has in Indy.

BurgundyNGold
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Lets just say I would like to see him come here, It is unrealistic that he will but I can dream can't I? Indy IMO is done. Losing this year in the divisionals will have every player but Harrison and Manning questioning whether they should move on to another team so I don't see him staying there. I would just like to them both on the field at the same time (Moss & Wayne) it would be a beautiful thing to see again IMO.
I'm not going to call Indy's demise just yet. They still play in a weak division so they'll at least have a puncher's chance in the playoffs for the next several years if nothing else. Philly, however, will either turn it around next year or they will explode in a glorious burst of cheeseteak.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
You also said he would be playing the same role he has in Indy.Yes if he came here he would be a 2. He could be a 1 somewhere else no doubt.

DoGood
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes if he came here he would be a 2. He could be a 1 somewhere else no doubt.

My point is...

1. The guy is not going to settle as second fiddle here just because we want him to.

2. He is going to be expensive as he is the most desired WR on the market. MONEY MONEY MONEY is what he is going to get. Like, Mushin Muhammad money. Do the Redskins have that? No.

Actually, I can't discuss this topic anymore. I have been trying my little heart out to persuade hR and I'm not making any progress. Signing Reggie Wayne is so improbable, so unecessary, and so wasteful.

HAWGZHEAD
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
My point is...

1. The guy is not going to settle as second fiddle here just because we want him to.

2. He is going to be expensive as he is the most desired WR on the market. MONEY MONEY MONEY is what he is going to get. Like, Mushin Muhammad money. Do the Redskins have that? No.

Actually, I can't discuss this topic anymore. I have been trying my little heart out to persuade hR and I'm not making any progress. Signing Reggie Wayne is so improbable, so unecessary, and so wasteful. That doesn't change the fact that I would like to see him here. It isn't unnecessary to me to fill this team with talent, especially a talent that other players are for that are already here.

CowboyKilla
01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Bummer. THANKS ALOT DAVID.