PDA

View Full Version : Our defense

skins74
08-04-2006, 11:02 AM
With the addition of Carter and the way Daniels has picked things up I think our defense is going to be the best in the league (barring injuries). We were 20th in the league in sacks last season I feel we can get atleast 10 more sacks this season and that will make a huge difference, more sacks equal more turnovers and more points. Anyone else feel the same way?

Ibleedburgundy
08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Statistically, I think the defense will be closer to 2004 (3rd in total yards) than 2005 (9th or so?) except with more sacks.

All the camp reports are saying Daniels is an animal and Carter is a freak. It's been a while since we had a d-line that was this good. Add that to the already good pass defense and I think it has the pieces be a top 5 defense.

bantu
08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Hellz yeah I feel the same way. I actually scouted Carter two years ago (after the Spurrier fiasco, where we couldn't buy a sack all year) and the rest of the young up-and-coming pass rushers in the NFL. Even back then I thought he would be the best fit for us cuz of his age and he plays DE in a 4-3. I was estatic when he got him, cuz even though his numbers don't show it lately, he is a good pass rusher. Add that to a defense that was already good, and it could be lights out for any opposing offense.

I mean, as 'Skins fans, we all know what its like to gameplan for all the Strahans, Kearse's, Douglas', Ware's, etc.; now we have one of our own..... Its gonna be awesome!!!

joethefan
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
as long as griffin and salaveya is in the mix...I'm happy....daniels and carter should benefit from the rush up the middle....

chrisbcbu
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
as long as griffin and salaveya is in the mix...I'm happy....daniels and carter should benefit from the rush up the middle....

DT montgomery is looking like a beast in camp, so i wouldnt be suprised if he pushed for more playing time in place of Salva'e.

Skinz4lyfe
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
I feel we'll be solid as well but IMO the key is still Griffin. When he's in there he makes a world a difference. He frees up our DEs and still manages to get pressure up the middle. One of these days he's gonna make the ProBowl and get the recognition he deserves.

Canfan
08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I feel we'll be solid as well but IMO the key is still Griffin. When he's in there he makes a world a difference. He frees up our DEs and still manages to get pressure up the middle. One of these days he's gonna make the ProBowl and get the recognition he deserves.

Absolutely, our D is at the point where we can sting you from anywhere on the field from anyone...lookout... top 5 for sure.:)

redwolf1218
08-04-2006, 12:49 PM
if the offense gets a lead and controls the clock, the defense will be off the field and will be ranked highly since the rankings are based on yardage allowed. if the other team is passing a lot to save the clock and play catch-up then the D should also have more sacks. it's perfect timing to add Carter right now and with Daniels getting better it's just a scary combination for opposition.

normally i would say the offense getting leads might result in more yardage and thus a worse D ranking if the defense gives up the underneath stuff like a so-called "prevent defense" but i dont see Williams doing that.

hockeygoalie29
08-04-2006, 01:18 PM
What I really want to see from our D this year is more points! The last couple of years our defense has been great at stopping the opposing offense but has been at the bottom in the league in points scored off of turnovers.

akhhorus
08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
If we stay healthy(big key), this defense is last year's defense with Carter in the mix at DE and McIntosh instead of LLH. They can be great, but who knows with injuries.

skinfan43
08-04-2006, 02:04 PM
DT montgomery is looking like a beast in camp, so i wouldnt be suprised if he pushed for more playing time in place of Salva'e.
Is that true, Chris? Hope so, I'll admit that while I love Big Joe, his health is a bit of a concern (although the man definitely plays through pain). Definitely intrigued by Golston as well, dude seems to have a nasty streak like Jenkins from Carolina...

shally
08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
If we stay healthy(big key), this defense is last year's defense with Carter in the mix at DE and McIntosh instead of LLH. They can be great, but who knows with injuries.

injuries are always a key... but this defensive coaching staff has a really combative attitude. they coach up who they have and will go to battle with the players available. that said, guys like griff and taylor are irreplaceable, but we are developing enough depth so that the defense is not likely to go in the tank like it did sometimes last year (middle stretch against the afc teams, i think)

akhhorus
08-04-2006, 02:33 PM
injuries are always a key... but this defensive coaching staff has a really combative attitude. they coach up who they have and will go to battle with the players available. that said, guys like griff and taylor are irreplaceable, but we are developing enough depth so that the defense is not likely to go in the tank like it did sometimes last year (middle stretch against the afc teams, i think)

Well, hopefully Mt Montgomery can lessen the sting of a Griff injury. We'll see. Taylor is truly irreplacable, but hopefully we have enough depth at DT now to weather some injuries.

shally
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, hopefully Mt Montgomery can lessen the sting of a Griff injury. We'll see. Taylor is truly irreplacable, but hopefully we have enough depth at DT now to weather some injuries.

the wise article was posted here as well as the tandler response.. that kind of sums things up.

taylor is so unique a player that taking him away changes the options that opponents have. griff was the cornerstone of the defense last year, but as you alluded to, if montgomery can provide that solid block in the middle, the other defensive lineman may be able to pick up the slack. one good thing for certain, is that there is enough depth that i expect them to rotate 7 or 8 guys through the d line during the course of a game depending upon the circumstances. we do not lose too much when guys like evans, wynn and killings rotate in. if nic clemons can give us another outside force we will be loaded.

there was a brief article in warpathinsiders this am that covered just that fact. there is so much flexibility now that def lineman can play multiple positions during the course of the game. blache is a very happy camper now (although you would never catch him admitting it)

i keep coming back to the steve mcmichael quote from years past. he was asked what the single most important thing was for a defense to excel. his response was the ability to get heat on the qb with just the front 4... if a team can do that it opens up all kinds of options for the DC. in that way the addition of carter and perhaps the selection of montgomery is key to the whole shooting match this year..

skins74
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Griffin
Salave'a
Carter
Daniels
Marshall
Washington
Rocky?
Taylor
Archuleta
Springs
Rogers

WOW! Just look at our starting lineup..... :)

Fathead
08-04-2006, 09:29 PM
It also sounds like Rogers is really coming along. Add in some pressure on QBs, our Defensive backfield should be scary.

Hopefully this season we'll be better at creating turnovers in the first part of the season.

FanFromArizona
08-04-2006, 10:38 PM

as long as the big boy commits himself to working hard I think he will be fine. I read in an article he wants to emulate MW's work ethic, I can see him making a push for some playing time this year if he works hard to develop his talents.

HanburgerBum
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Best in the League? Probably not. I think that distinction belongs to Tampa. But, the Skins defense has a good shot at being top 5.

And, the Washington defense is better than the over-rated Chicago defense, even though stats may not show it because the Bears play in the putrid NFC North, while the Skins play in the super tough NFC East.

redskin_rich
08-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I like our starters alot and I like our depth on the D-Line but I think some guys are being overhyped. Like Montgomery, for example. He is abusing our camp fodder on the O-Line. He has not had much work, if any, against our starters. This is similar to the hype Espy is getting on offense but people fail to mention he is going up against, at best, 3rd string DB's that probably won't make the team.
Some of our backups on the bubble, like Boschetti, have actually dominated against guys like Rabach. I just don't see Montgomery being a factor this season. I'm not saying he isn't a talent but I don't see him replacing any vets right now. We'll all get a good look at him and other rookies in the scrimmage tomorrow, set up your DVR's.

bgforever
08-05-2006, 12:29 AM
With the addition of Carter and the way Daniels has picked things up I think our defense is going to be the best in the league (barring injuries). We were 20th in the league in sacks last season I feel we can get atleast 10 more sacks this season and that will make a huge difference, more sacks equal more turnovers and more points. Anyone else feel the same way?

Interesting, that I also see these two feeding off each other, like the Bookends of Mann and Manley and the most monsterous tackle combination of Dave Butz and Diron Talbert. This could be the set of DE's that rewrites the books for the Skins. "Daniels is also interchangeable for DT and uses his athleticism like a power forward or LB".

shally
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I like our starters alot and I like our depth on the D-Line but I think some guys are being overhyped. Like Montgomery, for example. He is abusing our camp fodder on the O-Line. He has not had much work, if any, against our starters. This is similar to the hype Espy is getting on offense but people fail to mention he is going up against, at best, 3rd string DB's that probably won't make the team.
Some of our backups on the bubble, like Boschetti, have actually dominated against guys like Rabach. I just don't see Montgomery being a factor this season. I'm not saying he isn't a talent but I don't see him replacing any vets right now. We'll all get a good look at him and other rookies in the scrimmage tomorrow, set up your DVR's.

so far, akh is really high on montgomery.. i go with him.. he has unreal size/speed/strength and the only question is effort and technique

IowaSkinsFan
08-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Not to go offtopic but I think the player that will benefit the most from the signing of Andre Carter must undoubtedly be Chris Samuels.

He is going to be so much more prepared week to week to face the best pass rushers from each team just from seeing that speed of Carter's day to day in practice.

IowaSkinsFan
08-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, hopefully Mt Montgomery can lessen the sting of a Griff injury.

JDS has had some good things to say about him in his TC reports thus far. Let's hope the scouting department hit a homerun with this one and that we have acquired some quality depth that makes Blache and Williams comfortable with giving Griffin a breather now and then.

BandWagon
08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I totally agree. We have a fantastic unit that upgraded in one area screaming for improvement and upgraded the safety position. Obviously the scheme is valid. Opponents had more to go on last year and our rankings fell a little bit, but it was still one of the league's best units. I'm quickly become a fan of good defense watching these guys. They're really impressive across the board from the stars to the journeymen...they all produce.

colkurtz
08-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Is anyone worried about Rogers back spasms? I'd like to hear from shally on this issue since he has medical expertise. Is this just a normal consequence of NFL play or could this be a problem this season?

Definetly a top 5 defense. Going for #1 will take some luck with injuries.

FanFromArizona
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Is anyone worried about Rogers back spasms? I'd like to hear from shally on this issue since he has medical expertise. Is this just a normal consequence of NFL play or could this be a problem this season?

Let's wait until preseason game #3 to make that call. By then everything should be coming together and will be the best gauge as to how we'll do early in the regular season.

whistleandthumb
08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
D played pretty tight today. I was VERY impressed... it was like we picked up right where we left off last year. The D against the run was especially impressive. Let's hope that continues to roll on.

shally
08-05-2006, 11:57 PM

as far as it goes, so far it sounds just like muscle spasms. he was said to be on the sideline joking with byner.. no MRI even as of yet.

i would not begin to worry until they start doing tests on him. hopefully that will not happen.

shally
08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Let's wait until preseason game #3 to make that call. By then everything should be coming together and will be the best gauge as to how we'll do early in the regular season.

agree totally. we are not even to preseason games, much less regular season. it will be fine with me to limit wear and tear on the starters anyway..

redwolf1218
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Taylor has to stay healthy. as much as i like Prioleau, there is a huge drop-off from the 6'-2, 230 pound Taylor to the 5'-9, 190 pound Prioleau. actually, there is a choice between Corey Burns, Prioleau, and Reed Doughty for the backup to Taylor, but it seems like they are all better suited at strong safety than free safety. we have a bunch of strong safeties but not much for depth at free safety behind Taylor.

redskin_rich
08-06-2006, 12:25 AM
so far, akh is really high on montgomery.. i go with him.. he has unreal size/speed/strength and the only question is effort and technique
Montgomery was easily handled, one on one, by the 2nd string lineman of the Ravens today, on every play. Did I hear practice squad?

shally
08-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Taylor has to stay healthy. as much as i like Prioleau, there is a huge drop-off from the 6'-2, 230 pound Taylor to the 5'-9, 190 pound Prioleau. actually, there is a choice between Corey Burns, Prioleau, and Reed Doughty for the backup to Taylor, but it seems like they are all better suited at strong safety than free safety. we have a bunch of strong safeties but not much for depth at free safety behind Taylor.

actually prioleau is more a hybrid corner/safety than a pure safety.. i hope that doughty comes on to secure the position and i think he will-- although he got burned for a td inthe scrimmage today.. rookie mistake

helimech24
08-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Still, the fact of the matter is that we can't lose ST period. When he was out last year, teams were just airing the ball out over our CBs and Safeties, remember the TB game? He is to much of an impact player on Defense to lose for any stretch of time.

redwolf1218
08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
actually prioleau is more a hybrid corner/safety than a pure safety.. i hope that doughty comes on to secure the position and i think he will-- although he got burned for a td inthe scrimmage today.. rookie mistake
i remember Williams saying something a long time ago about putting new guys in a position to get burned once just to show them the speed of the nfl and bring them down to earth a little bit.

shally
08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
i remember Williams saying something a long time ago about putting new guys in a position to get burned once just to show them the speed of the nfl and bring them down to earth a little bit.

especially since williams described doughty as "pridefull" a couple of weeks ago.... man, if ever there was a guy he was ticketting for a humbling chew out, it would have to be doughty.. i get the feeling that williams was just looking for a chance to bring him back to earth..

shally
08-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Still, the fact of the matter is that we can't lose ST period. When he was out last year, teams were just airing the ball out over our CBs and Safeties, remember the TB game? He is to much of an impact player on Defense to lose for any stretch of time.

taylor is a unique talent in the nfl.. no team could lose a player of that caliber and not have a let down

FanFromArizona
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
If history is any sign, I think we will see how explosive we are in the Patriot preseason game. That is the game I have starred on my calendar to watch. By then, we should see what kind of team we have--both offensively and defensively.

And New England is no slouch of a team. The Cincy game will not feature our starters for a long time. We are going to hand the Jets their :moon1:, and so the 3rd preseason is the game to watch. It might even turn out to be the precursor to Superbowl 41 this year.

shally
08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
If history is any sign, I think we will see how explosive we are in the Patriot preseason game. That is the game I have starred on my calendar to watch. By then, we should see what kind of team we have--both offensively and defensively.

And New England is no slouch of a team. The Cincy game will not feature our starters for a long time. We are going to hand the Jets their :moon1:, and so the 3rd preseason is the game to watch. It might even turn out to be the precursor to Superbowl 41 this year.

i think the next to last preseason game is the one in which the starters get the most actual playing time, so it should be a good barometer of things..
the pats will be solid although their safety situation is not good. harrison is not going to be back until mid season and mitchell may be gone for the year.. they are thin back there

helimech24
08-06-2006, 04:01 PM

And New England is no slouch of a team. The Cincy game will not feature our starters for a long time. We are going to hand the Jets their :moon1:, and so the 3rd preseason is the game to watch. It might even turn out to be the precursor to Superbowl 41 this year.I can't wait to see Ramsey run for his life, :devil2:

FanFromArizona
08-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I can't wait to see Ramsey run for his life, :devil2:

and for that matter, it'll be ALL of their QBs running for their lives. Even their first team does not scare me.

James F. Quinn
08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I can't wait to see Ramsey run for his life, :devil2:

Nothing new about that for Patrick, except he doesn't run; he stands in trying to get the pass off. LOL

helimech24
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
and for that matter, it'll be ALL of their QBs running for their lives. Even their first team does not scare me.I think our 3rd stringers could give their starters a run for their money, lol

helimech24
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Nothing new about that for Patrick, except he doesn't run; he stands in trying to get the pass off. LOLLMAO, very true.

shally
08-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Montgomery was easily handled, one on one, by the 2nd string lineman of the Ravens today, on every play. Did I hear practice squad?

that is not a good sign.. if true, then it could be PS

bantu
08-07-2006, 01:14 AM
taylor is a unique talent in the nfl.. no team could lose a player of that caliber and not have a let down

My thoughts exactly. However, we cannot lose him to injury and think we have any way to replace him. I hate injuries, man. Even in the Eagles game, tonite, when that guy's neck got hurt, I got pissed. Pre-season injuries are so lame.

Shabba
08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
The defense is shapeing up nicely. Aseveryone has said, injuries will be the key. I love this defense.

redwolf1218
08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Griffin - round 2
Salave'a
Carter 1st round
Daniels 1st round
Marshall
Washington - round 2
Rocky? - round 2
Taylor 1st round
Archuleta 1st round
Springs 1st round
Rogers 1st round

WOW! Just look at our starting lineup..... :)
that is amazing use of free agency and the draft. almost all 1st round picks, a couple of second rounders, and Salave'a and Marshall.

and that list leaves out Wynn, another former 1st round pick.

skins74
08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah.......I think Danny, Vinny and Gibbs have this FA thang figured out. People keep talking about salary cap hell and I'm still waiting....meanwhile the Redskins are loading up on young, up and coming players. Danny has really learned from his mistakes, no more Bruce Smith, Deions, Carriers, ect. The future is bright I don't care what Mike Wise says!