PDA

View Full Version : ? illegal hit on trent green ?

shally
09-10-2006, 05:00 PM
i just saw the film clip of the hit on trent green that caused a concussion..it was ugly..
he was sliding and almost on the ground while the defender launched himself and caught green under his chin.. could have been even worse than it turned out..

i think it was flagrant and should result in fine/suspension

any comments ?

redskin_rich
09-10-2006, 05:05 PM
No question about it, the whole purpose of the QB slide is that they are immediately down and not to be hit in any way. It is just like taking a knee on a kickoff or calling a fair catch. The hit was not only illegal but malicious and the player should have been ejected, IMO. I heard he wasn't even flagged and that is beyond ridiculous.
If it was up to me, the player that did that would miss as many games as Trent Green misses and be fined double his pay for those games.

shally
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
No question about it, the whole purpose of the QB slide is that they are immediately down and not to be hit in any way. It is just like taking a knee on a kickoff or calling a fair catch. The hit was not only illegal but malicious and the player should have been ejected, IMO. I heard he wasn't even flagged and that is beyond ridiculous.
If it was up to me, the player that did that would miss as many games as Trent Green misses and be fined double his pay for those games.

if any team should be sensitive about that,it should be cincy.. they would be insane if anyone did that to palmer..

the league is going to mete out something because of the impact of the hit.. they have to or it will be open season on qb's as they are sliding

Dolla Bill
09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I could see something happen two fold. 1) player is fined and/or suspended, and 2) the officiating crew will be reprimanded behind closed doors for the no call. That was as obvious as it can get. His whole body was sliding, and the Geathers never let up at all.

ryflan47
09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
He better get fined.

PyroGenic
09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
i just saw the film clip of the hit on trent green that caused a concussion..it was ugly..
he was sliding and almost on the ground while the defender launched himself and caught green under his chin.. could have been even worse than it turned out..

i think it was flagrant and should result in fine/suspension

any comments ?

i think that as soon as you cross the line of scrimmage and establish yourself as a runner you're game for any hit. Hits like happens to running backs all the time but they never do the QB slide so its rare to see them get hit on the chin.

Slobberknocker
09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
The no-call was unbelievable. Watching Trent Green get carted off the field strapped to a stretcher was the most horrific sight of opening weekend.

HAWGZHEAD
09-10-2006, 06:56 PM
The no call was idiotic. I saw a far less worse hit on Hasslebeck less than 5 minutes later I think that was called without hesitation. That hit was atrocious, especially since he is my fantasy starter.

MONK_in_HOF
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I have got to believe a fine is imminent.

Slobberknocker
09-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I have got to believe a fine is imminent.

Agreed. But how could they not even call it a penalty?

InsomniaKiller
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
i don't know, it seemed like trent started his slide very late. if you're going to be out there running around and you know you're going to slide, you'd better start the slide before bodies start flying at you. if you wait until they're breathing down your neck, you're going to get hit. as you should.

shally
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
i don't know, it seemed like trent started his slide very late. if you're going to be out there running around and you know you're going to slide, you'd better start the slide before bodies start flying at you. if you wait until they're breathing down your neck, you're going to get hit. as you should.

he was feet first.. that shouldbe the difference.. we will see what the league does..

Ibleedburgundy
09-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I thought it was malicious-the epitome of unnecessary roughness. Should be a minimum 2 game suspension IMO. The league has said it wants to protect QB's.

shally
09-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought it was malicious-the epitome of unnecessary roughness. Should be a minimum 2 game suspension IMO. The league has said it wants to protect QB's.

agreed. designed to hurt and it did.. the ball is squarely in the league's court...

MONK_in_HOF
09-10-2006, 09:31 PM

I really have no idea. Especially considering the amount of ticky tack calls I have seen called in effort "protect QBs". This was no ticky tack hit, the refs missed the call.

LATrueRedskin
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
The reason I heard was that Geathers was pushed into Green, that's why the refs didn't throw a flag. I haven't seen the hit since I heard that, so I don't know if that's the case.

shally
09-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I really have no idea. Especially considering the amount of ticky tack calls I have seen called in effort "protect QBs". This was no ticky tack hit, the refs missed the call.

i do not think that non calls on that type of penalty are reviewable..except by the league office afterwards

MONK_in_HOF
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
i do not think that non calls on that type of penalty are reviewable..except by the league office afterwards

Who said anything about a review? It should have been called on the field. Period.

shally
09-10-2006, 09:53 PM
The reason I heard was that Geathers was pushed into Green, that's why the refs didn't throw a flag. I haven't seen the hit since I heard that, so I don't know if that's the case.

i did not see the whole play, but it sure looked like geathers launched himself into green.. could be an explanation for the non call

smoak
09-10-2006, 10:49 PM

I only saw it once and it was really not at the right angle, but I heard the defender was pushed into Green??? It sure didn't look that way.

shally
09-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I only saw it once and it was really not at the right angle, but I heard the defender was pushed into Green??? It sure didn't look that way.

that was my impression, but i did not see much of the earlier part of the play.. we will see what the league does.

any word on how badly trent is affected?

MONK_in_HOF
09-10-2006, 10:56 PM
that was my impression, but i did not see much of the earlier part of the play.. we will see what the league does.

any word on how badly trent is affected?

Apparently he doesn't remember the play happening.

Edit: oops, forgot the link. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2582288)

shally
09-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Apparently he doesn't remember the play happening.

that much amnesia is not unusual.. the larger question will be how he feels in the next few days.. he could have lingering effects for days depending upon how severe it was...

redskin_rich
09-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Pushed or not, he didn't have to lower his helmet and take a head shot on Green. It was despicable and there is no excuse for it.

smoak
09-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Pushed or not, he didn't have to lower his helmet and take a head shot on Green. It was despicable and there is no excuse for it.

Oh I am not disagreein g at all. Just saying why I heard the flag wasn't thrown.

No to pour salt in the KC wound, bujt even with Trent Green I jusyt don't see the Chiefs being thaty good.

shally
09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Oh I am not disagreein g at all. Just saying why I heard the flag wasn't thrown.

No to pour salt in the KC wound, bujt even with Trent Green I jusyt don't see the Chiefs being thaty good.

yeah, and to make matters worse, now they don't have todd collins to back him up...:lol1:

redskin_rich
09-10-2006, 11:19 PM

Me either. I've stated a few times now that the Chiefs would be no better than a 7-9 team this year. Their defense still sucks and now they don't have the best offense in the league anymore, due to Saunders leaving, losses on their O-Line and Herm Edwards conservative approach, which will handcuff what was the strength of the team.

Axegrinder
09-10-2006, 11:19 PM
The first time that I saw it,it looked like a late hit.
The second time that I saw it,it looked like Geathers may have been blocked into him.

RedskinRyan
09-10-2006, 11:26 PM
yeah, and to make matters worse, now they don't have todd collins to back him up...:lol1:

:lol1:

redskin_rich
09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
The first time that I saw it,it looked like a late hit.
The second time that I saw it,it looked like Geathers may have been blocked into him.
It doesn't matter whether or not he was launched into Green, he lowered his helmet and took a shot when it was illegal and the QB was in a prone position.

becky
09-11-2006, 12:05 AM

lol I love all players in the B&G, but I'm not sure they are cursing that particular misfortune.

I feel bad for Trent.. he's not exactly young either. Hope he is fine to play the rest of the season.

Skinz4lyfe
09-11-2006, 06:52 AM
It doesn't matter whether or not he was launched into Green, he lowered his helmet and took a shot when it was illegal and the QB was in a prone position.

I don't know about him lowering his head. At first I thought it was an illegal hit myself but after looking at it again, I saw where it looked like Eddie Kennison blocked him into Green. If anything was illegal it should have been the block on Geathers because IMO after the block I do not see how Geathers could have controlled his body. However, I'll carefully look at it again to see if he lowers his head just before impact.

Patrick
09-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Nasty hit BUT NOT an illegal one. Too bad about TG but injuries are part of the game.

redskin_rich
09-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Nasty hit BUT NOT an illegal one. Too bad about TG but injuries are part of the game.
When did it become legal to hit a sliding QB?

Patrick
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
When did it become legal to hit a sliding QB?

At this point in time (and it may change because of this) there is nothing that says the QB can not be hit while "Going Into" a slide. Now from what I saw he was still in the process of sliding was he not. Besides the ref was right on top of the play. Now if the player is fine because of it - that's makes it another issue. .................. Rough sport! AND I've seen far worse hits that didn't warrant a flag OR a fine.

dallasadmin
09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Here (http://www.hotlinkthis.com/images/trenthit1.gif)is a .gif of the hit. It looks like he is pushed and it's shoulder to helmet instead of helmet to helmet.

In any event it was the nastiest thing I saw all weekend and I hope he's OK.

IllinoiSkinFan
09-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Here (http://www.hotlinkthis.com/images/trenthit1.gif)is a .gif of the hit. It looks like he is pushed and it's shoulder to helmet instead of helmet to helmet.

In any event it was the nastiest thing I saw all weekend and I hope he's OK.

I dont see any helmet to helmet hit.
I dont see him lowering his helmet.
Looks like the damage came when his head snapped into the ground.

GeneralDisorder
09-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I was watching a montage of the 'skins D at the FedEx Dallas game last year yesterday and there were a couple of hits nowhere near as bad that drew flags.

Then again, Green's not a Cowboy...

WarEagle
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the slo-mo, DallasAdmin. The QB and tackler started down at the same time. Wasn't a dirty hit, just an ugly hit, as things turned out. (A hit like that would've killed me!)

Camden
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the slo-mo, DallasAdmin. The QB and tackler started down at the same time. Wasn't a dirty hit, just an ugly hit, as things turned out. (A hit like that would've killed me!)

I agree. Not dirty. Plus his teammate, Tony Gonzalez, says the hit wasn't illegal and pointed out that Kennison blocked the guy into Green.

RedskinRyan
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
watching the slo-mo gif, kennison does block geathers from the back, and it doesnt even look helmet to helmet. thats why there was no flag.