PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Shifting vs. Offensive Motion

wave6ten
09-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Well lets face it...game one didn't go as planned.

While waiting for Al Saunders vaunting 700 page playbook I noticed a few things.

1. The running plays as has been stated in other threads definitely suits CP to a T. This may not be Denver's zone blocking, but the slashing style with the blocking will do well for us.

2. Pass protection looked good in my opinion. I was impressed with Brunell's comfort in the pocket...even though he didn't put up great numbers.

3. Shifting...I personally was not a fan of all the shifting of the offense. Plainly stated I think it only benefits ARE. I understand it is to get the defense off balance and confuse their reads, but frankly I thought the shifting took Capt. Chaos out of the game.

Which brings me to my question.

With all of the shifting in our offense, will this take Cooley out his comfort zone? Last year as an H-back Cooley was one of our biggest weapons. I noticed in the red zone he just seemed under utilized. Last year it seemed that with motion as apposed to "shifting" Cooley had to be accounted for on every play. Now it just seems he gets set after the shift or ends up chip blocking before his route.

Etiher way I liked the motion of last year. I think it accented his effectiveness in findig zones and taking advantage of matchups. It also opened holes for routes being run by other recievers.

whistleandthumb
09-12-2006, 12:47 PM
We didn't use a whole lot of motion last year, and haven't really used much at all since Gibbs returned. Especially if you look back at Gibbs v.1, where there was all kinds of motion before the snap.

I thought Saunders did a pretty good job of disguising plays, and creating creative motion with the WR's. Several times, I saw ARE line up in a FB spot, then, right before the snap, move out to the slot. I thought it was kinda cool...

shally
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Well lets face it...game one didn't go as planned.

While waiting for Al Saunders vaunting 700 page playbook I noticed a few things.

1. The running plays as has been stated in other threads definitely suits CP to a T. This may not be Denver's zone blocking, but the slashing style with the blocking will do well for us.

2. Pass protection looked good in my opinion. I was impressed with Brunell's comfort in the pocket...even though he didn't put up great numbers.

3. Shifting...I personally was not a fan of all the shifting of the offense. Plainly stated I think it only benefits ARE. I understand it is to get the defense off balance and confuse their reads, but frankly I thought the shifting took Capt. Chaos out of the game.

Which brings me to my question.

With all of the shifting in our offense, will this take Cooley out his comfort zone? Last year as an H-back Cooley was one of our biggest weapons. I noticed in the red zone he just seemed under utilized. Last year it seemed that with motion as apposed to "shifting" Cooley had to be accounted for on every play. Now it just seems he gets set after the shift or ends up chip blocking before his route.

Etiher way I liked the motion of last year. I think it accented his effectiveness in findig zones and taking advantage of matchups. It also opened holes for routes being run by other recievers.

cooley is definitely diminished in effectiveness if heis not on the move..unless saunders changes his outlook it may be a negative--damn shame to give up that kind of weapon

Dolla Bill
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
We didn't use a whole lot of motion last year, and haven't really used much at all since Gibbs returned. Especially if you look back at Gibbs v.1, where there was all kinds of motion before the snap.

I thought Saunders did a pretty good job of disguising plays, and creating creative motion with the WR's. Several times, I saw ARE line up in a FB spot, then, right before the snap, move out to the slot. I thought it was kinda cool...

I think we did in 2004. There were alot of shifts, but we always got flagged for false starts, illegal formations, and such. He then simplified it by cutting out a great deal of motion.

SpicyMcHaggis
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM

...except that it didn't work most of the time ;)

whistleandthumb
09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
...except that it didn't work most of the time ;)
I don't understand the point of that comment. Should we stop blitzing teams because it was ineffective last night?

I wasn't totally unimpressed by our offense last night. Other than not getting into the endzone but once in 4 red zone trips, we moved the ball pretty okay.

SpicyMcHaggis
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't understand the point of that comment. Should we stop blitzing teams because it was ineffective last night?

I wasn't totally unimpressed by our offense last night. Other than not getting into the endzone but once in 4 red zone trips, we moved the ball pretty okay.
There was no point..it was a joke (I must have put in the wriong smiley face). Actually I agree with you..especially in the first half we moved the ball pretty well, considering it was the first time we tried some stuff in a real game. In the second half we had more trouble though.

skinfanjon
09-12-2006, 01:03 PM

I kinda understand what he's saying. It appeared we got to cute for our own good at times, but then again it is only the first week. I'm sure eventually all those shifts and formations are going to amount to something on the scoreboard, but in the 4th quarter last night I found myself wishing we would just pound it down their throats.

Syllable
09-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Offense works, brunell isn't a fit if he keeps throwing it away.

ryflan47
09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I love all of the motion and shifting. It really makes the defense think about a lot of things in a short period of time.

Redskin4Life
09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I think the "Cooley issue" has been fixed with the latest signing... Nemo cut for TE Yoder. Cooley will be in the backfield as a HB/TE more often with Yoder and Fauria in as blocking TEs.

skinfanjon
09-12-2006, 02:51 PM
I think the "Cooley issue" has been fixed with the latest signing... Nemo cut for TE Yoder. Cooley will be in the backfield as a HB/TE more often with Yoder and Fauria in as blocking TEs.

Interesting take on the signing, I hope you're right.

ryflan47
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Did Cooley run a lot of routes last night, or was he used mainly for blocking?

Redskin4Life
09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Did Cooley run a lot of routes last night, or was he used mainly for blocking?
I saw him go on one or two routes last night... but then again, I'm watching it on TV at a local bar. But I did notice he got bogged down having to block in the normal TE spot.