PDA

View Full Version : I totally just bombed on camera....

dj_stouty
09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
My company decided it would be cute to tape employees talking on camera in front of a green screen about our upcoming conference in Vegas. Today was the video shoot. They would then edit some funky stuff in the background and then put it on our website promoting the conference.... (No chance I'm posting the link, sorry!)

I only had three lines, but it took 2 dozen cuts to get it remotely right. My throat kept closing up...I kept stumbling...and I could barely get to the end...and all of this happened in front of 8 people in my department. Everyone else nailed it on first or second take...

Talk about embarrassing. Guess I won't be auditioning for any Whistle or Whitskin movies in the near or far future. ;) :banghead:

RedskinRyan
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
lol well atleast we know you can make the bloopers

SpicyMcHaggis
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
My company decided it would be cute to tape employees talking on camera in front of a green screen about our upcoming conference in Vegas. Today was the video shoot. They would then edit some funky stuff in the background and then put it on our website promoting the conference.... (No chance I'm posting the link, sorry!)

I only had three lines, but it took 2 dozen cuts to get it remotely right. My throat kept closing up...I kept stumbling...and I could barely get to the end...and all of this happened in front of 8 people in my department. Everyone else nailed it on first or second take...

Talk about embarrassing. Guess I won't be auditioning for any Whistle or Whitskin movies in the near or far future. ;) :banghead:
LOL..that must have been pretty terrible...but at least give us some clues so we can find it..kinda like a treasure hunt..we would never EVER make fun of you..promise!

dj_stouty
09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
lol well atleast we know you can make the bloopers

Oddly enough...they really are doing a blooper real; probably for our next all-staff meeting. :devil2:

chrisbcbu
09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Thats sucks. Tho i would like to see the bloopers!!

C-7
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Speaking on camera is not easy at all and some people just can't do it. You shouldn't feel bad at all.

PGiddy18
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM

I know how you feel DJ! I actually went on air for the first time for one of our Television shows. I had about 20-30 seconds of air time, the rest doing a voiceover on graphics. I stumbled over a few words, and then the lovely anchor decided to go off script and ask random questions, but i held it together. I think next week, I'll stay in the control room!

Fathead
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Speaking on camera can be insanely difficult at times. And sometimes it's incredibly easy. So don't worry about it.

C-7
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Speaking on camera can be insanely difficult at times. And sometimes it's incredibly easy. So don't worry about it.

If I even have my voice recorded I totally freak out!

shally
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM

don't be so hard on yourself.. it is an acquired skill and does not come naturally to many people. keep practicing and looking for opportunities to speak in public. the more you do it, the better you get at it..

CNYSkinFan
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM

I have done about 30 or 40 community theater shows both acting and directing and some TV work, and yet I still stammer when it comes to impromptu public speaking, espescially when a Camera is involved. Don't be hard on yourself.

And whatever you do, do not imagine everyone is naked....that is very distracting and disturbing.

SkinsKY
09-28-2006, 01:20 PM

Talk about embarrassing. Guess I won't be auditioning for any Whistle or Whitskin movies in the near or far future. :banghead:
Enter the verbal version of PSF. ;)

SkinsKY
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I have done about 30 or 40 community theater shows both acting and directing and some TV work, and yet I still stammer when it comes to impromptu public speaking, espescially when a Camera is involved. Don't be hard on yourself.

And whatever you do, do not imagine everyone is naked....that is very distracting and disturbing.

I'm far better at impromptu speaking than when I've rehearsed something. I stopped planning speeches when I had to give them. I make a note card with the main points. And go from my head when the time comes. If I have to recite something or read something aloud, I crash and burn almost everytime.

CarMike
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM

You HAVE to link to your companies website! lol

ryflan47
09-28-2006, 01:59 PM
LOL, don't feel bad. Whenever I'm on camera I always start cracking up.

Santheb
09-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I'd rather bomb in front of a camera than bomb on a midterm, which is probably going to be my situation tonight :(

redskin_rich
09-28-2006, 02:41 PM
You should have had a 3 martini lunch, then you would have nailed it. ;)

RedskinsDave
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I am now sooooooo glad I know where you work!!! :D

shally
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
You should have had a 3 martini lunch, then you would have nailed it. ;)

or we could have seen the results posted on youtube...:lol1:

WarEagle
09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
This happens to a lot of folks. I encourage you to join the local Toastmasters group. They help you master public speaking in a helping, fun environment. Great networking opportunities, too. My group didn't have video cameras for training, but I would guess some do.

allberts
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
You are out of Nyobium for this... We need guys with stage presence.