PDA

View Full Version : CB depth.....Ahmad Carroll is available

csquared
10-03-2006, 05:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2611948 Ahmad Carroll was released today. Im thinking he wouldnt be a bad guy to look at. I mean Rumph wasnt as good with S.F as he is doing here. Plus we are hurting for depth. Mods if this needs to be moved go for it.

dj_stouty
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2611948 Ahmad Carroll was released today. Im thinking he wouldnt be a bad guy to look at. I mean Rumph wasnt as good with S.F as he is doing here. Plus we are hurting for depth. Mods if this needs to be moved go for it.

Mike Rumph and Ahmad Carroll must be living identical lives...

One 'overated" CB acquisition is enough for this franchise.

shally
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM

who does he replace? jimoh ? burns? fox? wright? another position player?

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 05:51 PM
He got destroyed last night but they are giving up on him kind of early. It seems they could have got something in a trade for him. I guess the new coach is trying to send a message.

ryflan47
10-03-2006, 05:51 PM
...because of his play on Monday night
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2611948

He entered the league in 2004 as a first round draft pick. If we're willing to give Kenny Wright a chance, we should give him a chance. I don't think he's all that bad, and it doesn't help that he has been playing with a pass defense thats the equivalent of, well nothing.

I'm not saying we should take this guy and start him right away, but we should at least give him a look for depth. I never thought this guy would have been cut this early in his career.

dj_stouty
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Wasn't Ahmad Carroll the guy whose coaches asked him to practice with boxing gloves on the field because he ALWAYS made contact with the WR before the ball arrived?

Or was that Rumph?

Or both?

Santheb
OWNED.

csquared
He got destroyed last night but they are giving up on him kind of early. It seems they could have got something in a trade for him. I guess the new coach is trying to send a message.
Right! Carlos Rogers better be glad he doesnt play in Green Bay. :lol1: In all honesty he probably couldnt do any worse than Wright. Id say he has more upside than Wright.

dj_stouty
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Merged...

shally
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Mike Rumph and Ahmad Carroll must be living identical lives...

One 'overated" CB acquisition is enough for this franchise.

it depends upon the situation.. i sure would think that working him out would be a no lose situation.. depending upon how springs is coming along..

ryflan47
10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Merged...

Sorry, didn't check Cherokee because I thought it was just a league thing.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Exactly. I would much prefer to keep Jimoh over getting Carroll. In fact, I'd rather get Carroll O'Conner than him. Or Jimmy Conners for that matter. Or Jimmy Carter. Or Andre Carter... oops.

shally
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Wasn't Ahmad Carroll the guy whose coaches asked him to practice with boxing gloves on the field because he ALWAYS made contact with the WR before the ball arrived?

Or was that Rumph?

Or both?

the other question is how physical he is.. that is an absolute prerequisite.. i do not know enough about carroll to say whether he fits what williams wants. for sure he has to be willing to come up and hit on run support

dj_stouty
10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Exactly. I would much prefer to keep Jimoh over getting Carroll. In fact, I'd rather get Carroll O'Conner than him. Or Jimmy Conners for that matter. Or Jimmy Carter. Or Andre Carter... oops.

I'll take Carol Brady over Ahmad Carroll.

http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/education/DLiT/2004/12simps/images/mum.jpg

csquared
10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Right but somehow our DB coaches have gotten more in the short time Rumph has been here than S.F had gotten out of him in what 3 years.

whitskins
This guy is a walking highlight reel... for the other team.

ryflan47
the other question is how physical he is.. that is an absolute prerequisite.. i do not know enough about carroll to say whether he fits what williams wants. for sure he has to be willing to come up and hit on run support

GW should give him an interview, with a full polygraph test!

dj_stouty
Sorry, didn't check Cherokee because I thought it was just a league thing.

No worries...

Skinz4lyfe
Ask any Packer fan, Ahmad Carroll is horrible. I don't think he's an upgrade over what we have right now. However he could be revived in our defense because he's a tought tackling CB. Bottom line, I'll pass and see if this unit can turn the corner. Then, if we're lucky we can use our #1 pick on a CB, if there is one available.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:00 PM
GW should give him an interview, with a full polygraph test!

how about a saliva test to see if he has taken steroids.. if not, let's put him on them, ...or at least whatever "diet" sellers is taking:lol1:

shally
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Ask any Packer fan, Ahmad Carroll is horrible. I don't think he's an upgrade over what we have right now. However he could be revived in our defense because he's a tought tackling CB. Bottom line, I'll pass and see if this unit can turn the corner. Then, if we're lucky we can use our #1 pick on a CB, if there is one available.

you would probably have heard the same things about rumph from niner fans before he got here..

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Same things we could have asked all S.f fans about Rumph. I feel he is doing well now. Why do we have to spend another 1st rounder on a cb when we have Rogers? We have much more glaring needs right now like pass rushing lineman.

EDIT: Dang Shally beat me to it. Great minds think alike. Or just means im 28 going on 55 now LOL!

Santheb
10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
No. Ahmad Carroll is terrible. Ask any GB fan about him and they'll say much worse. His nickname up there isn't Batman anymore...its Flagman. It also says a lot about your ability when GB cuts you.

No.

ryflan47
10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Same things we could have asked all S.f fans about Rumph. I feel he is doing well now. Why do we have to spend another 1st rounder on a cb when we have Rogers? We have much more glaring needs right now like pass rushing lineman.

EDIT: Dang Shally beat me to it.

Hopefully we won't need those pass rushing linemen if Golston and Montgomery progress!

Syllable
10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I say we hold a bust clinic, you get your first shot for free then you gotta start paying.

Syllable
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
No. Ahmad Carroll is terrible. Ask any GB fan about him and they'll say much worse. His nickname up there isn't Batman anymore...its Flagman. It also says a lot about your ability when GB cuts you.

No.
I think they did pretty well with Al Harris and McKenzie when he was there, Carrol probably did some loud mouthing because you just don't cut someone when your that bad.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM

EDIT: Dang Shally beat me to it.

our d line is going to get better as the season goes along because of all the depth we have. rotating evans, wynn, carter and daniels is going to pay dividends inthe second half of the season as o linemen wear down around the league..

i still think 1A and 1B next year are o lineman and cb between the draft and FA's depending upon who is available..

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Right but somehow our DB coaches have gotten more in the short time Rumph has been here than S.F had gotten out of him in what 3 years.
Did you not see the game last night? Ahmad Carroll made Greg Lewis... GREG LEWIS look like Jerry Rice. He got flat out OWNED by the Iggles 3rd WR. And this is the Iggles, not Indy.

Unless Greg Williams can enlist Miracle Max to made Ahmad Carroll mostly undead, I don't want to see him in this town.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Hopefully we won't need those pass rushing linemen if Golston and Montgomery progress!

especially golston and salaveaa... we have a real nice mix.. i wonder how long they keep boschetti based upon him being inactive?

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
I'll take Carol Brady over Ahmad Carroll.

http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/education/DLiT/2004/12simps/images/mum.jpg
Don't laugh, she's a beast in the slot. Ask Greg, lol.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Did you not see the game last night? Ahmad Carroll made Greg Lewis... GREG LEWIS look like Jerry Rice. He got flat out OWNED by the Iggles 3rd WR. And this is the Iggles, not Indy.

Unless Greg Williams can enlist Miracle Max to made Ahmad Carroll mostly undead, I don't want to see him in this town.

you just do not want to see jimoh lose his spot... (actually, me neither)

Syllable

Half the Plays I didn't even see Carroll I just saw Lewis wide open running routes.

BurgundyNGold
Not to state the obvious, but we have good tackling corners. What we need are good COVERING corners. ;)

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
you just do not want to see jimoh lose his spot... (actually, me neither)
To a cadaver? No, I do not. I would also add that I think Jimoh should be playing in front of Wright (because the other teams WR play behind him ;)).

shally
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Don't laugh, she's a beast in the slot. Ask Greg, lol.

i am sorry.. even with a red headed hair job, that is a no-go.....

green bay is really a graveyard now... mccarthy has to be suffering badly..

shally
10-03-2006, 06:12 PM
To a cadaver? No, I do not. I would also add that I think Jimoh should be playing in front of Wright (because the other teams WR play behind him ;)).

that bothers me a lot as well.. i just hope he doesn't follow the same trajectory as morton.. playing, then not playing, the off the team..
jimoh tackles like a maniac. we need to keep him for his special teams work if nothing else

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
i am sorry.. even with a red headed hair job, that is a no-go.....

green bay is really a graveyard now... mccarthy has to be suffering badly..
They deserve what they get in GB. McCarthy wasn't the right candidate. He wasn't even the best candidate. I get the feeling that he was the cheapest candidate.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
They deserve what they get in GB. McCarthy wasn't the right candidate. He wasn't even the best candidate. I get the feeling that he was the cheapest candidate.

sherman got hosed.. i like him more than a lot of other coaches and i bet he re surfaces again in a year or 2 as a head coach.. his problem was that the GM let the team get old around him..

Syllable
You would think that a Proud franchise wouldn't go through such a stink like this.

csquared
I do agree with you there.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 06:16 PM
You guys are trashing this guy, deservedly so, but what if he gets brought in? It wouldn't surprise me, to tell you all the truth. Carroll was asked to do a lot of man coverage in Green Bay and that is probably not his strength. I don't know what his strength is but if the raw talent is there, I would give him a tryout at least.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I do agree with you there.

he was not that great as an assistant in new orleans.. cheapness must have been the deciding factor

shally
10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
You guys are trashing this guy, deservedly so, but what if he gets brought in? It wouldn't surprise me, to tell you all the truth. Carroll was asked to do a lot of man coverage in Green Bay and that is probably not his strength. I don't know what his strength is but if the raw talent is there, I would give him a tryout at least.

work him out.. but, again, who do you cut to keep him?

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
You would think that a Proud franchise wouldn't go through such a stink like this.
They all do S.F, Miami, Buffalo, etc... Even our Redskins have been through a stink or 2. One was named Norv and the other was Steve.

LATrueRedskin
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM

I agree. Hell, he could be another Mike Rumph. Who knows what this kid has been taught by whatever coach in Green Bay. Their defensive scheme is awful there. Maybe a change of scenery and good coaching could make him be a player again.

csquared
work him out.. but, again, who do you cut to keep him?
Well we cant give him Wrights #25 because its so charcoal black you cant tell its a Skins jersey.

shally
[QUOTE=Syllable]You would think that a Proud franchise wouldn't go through such a stink like this.[/QUOTE
They all do S.F, Miami, Buffalo, etc... Even our Redskins have been through a stink or 2. One was named Norv and the other was Steve.

san fran deserves to stink..forever...:lol1:

shally
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Well we cant give him Wrights #25 because its so charcoal black you cant tell its a Skins jersey.

too bad.. i thought that was one of our new black on blackened-burgundy unis we are going to trot out for the giant game...:lol1:

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
too bad.. i thought that was one of our new black on blackened-burgundy unis we are going to trot out for the giant game...:lol1:
In all seriousness could he do any worse than Wright? I guess Wright had a decent play or 2 the last few games. But he is 29 Carroll is like 23? Shoot we get him in here get him to learn the system. Who knows he may prosper and then we take that 1st or 2nd rounder and fill another need.

Syllable
10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
In all seriousness could he do any worse than Wright? I guess Wright had a decent play or 2 the last few games. But he is 29 Carroll is like 23? Shoot we get him in here get him to learn the system. Who knows he may prosper and then we take that 1st or 2nd rounder and fill another need.
I agree, Don't start Carroll untill he proves himself in nickel, but we can shape him into a man cover guy while Kenny does 2nd and 3rd when springs is back. I see no reason not to get a 23 year old guy with potential except for cap.

Meatsnack
10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Ahmad Carroll

5'10" 190# University of Arkansas

Picked 1st round, #25 overall, by the Green Bay Packers in April 2004.

Games Played: 34
Career Sacks: 3
Career Ints: 3 (38 yards)
Career PD: 21
Career Tackles: 95 (89 solo)
Fumbles recovered: 4
21 kicks returned for 421 yards (20 yard avg.)

Combine Timed (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=224867) 4.34 40-yard dash, 10'8" broad jump, 41" vertical leap
10.38 100-meters at the AAU Nationals.

We would be foolish not to have him in for a look. The Packers have no pass rush and crappy coaching. Anyone could look pretty bad in those circumstances.

MWballer
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Who would u guys rather have Carroll or Curry Burns...Who's basically on the team due to P. Priealou's injury...I'd rather have Carroll he's got upside gives us another Corner and Doughty and Fox can prolly do the exact same thing that Burns has been doing.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM

wright has gotten a little better with each game.. but you just know, it would not be wright who was cut to make room for carroll.. and i do not want to lose jimoh..

shally
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Who would u guys rather have Carroll or Curry Burns...Who's basically on the team due to P. Priealou's injury...I'd rather have Carroll he's got upside gives us another Corner and Doughty and Fox can prolly do the exact same thing that Burns has been doing.

burns did look bad.. but fox is not much of a safety-- he is a special teamer. and doughty is not ready.. only if rumph is going to move to safety does it make sense to cut burns..

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
First off, he has to clear waivers. Then 21 or so other teams have to decline putting in a claim on him. If we get him after all of that, what does that tell you?

If he's brought in then I'll support him. But that won't change the fact that he sucks.

Syllable
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
wright has gotten a little better with each game.. but you just know, it would not be wright who was cut to make room for carroll.. and i do not want to lose jimoh..
Jimoh has been a backup his whole life though, and Carroll at least is better than Jimoh. If Carroll is clean I don't see why not play him. What I am thinking is that Carroll will probably want to be second cb at least and we cant give him that.

LATrueRedskin
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Ahmad Carroll

5'10" 190# University of Arkansas

Picked 1st round, #25 overall, by the Green Bay Packers in April 2004.

Games Played: 34
Career Sacks: 3
Career Ints: 3 (38 yards)
Career PD: 21
Career Tackles: 95 (89 solo)
Fumbles recovered: 4
21 kicks returned for 421 yards (20 yard avg.)

Combine Timed (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=224867) 4.34 40-yard dash, 10'8" broad jump, 41" vertical leap
10.38 100-meters at the AAU Nationals.

We would be foolish not to have him in for a look. The Packers have no pass rush and crappy coaching. Anyone could look pretty bad in those circumstances.

I agree. And the Packers cut him purely as a scapegoat; out of frustration that their team sucks.

Meatsnack
According to this article (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20060615/ai_n16497030) his weakness seems to be a needs to put his hands on people unnecessarily - that is, he has the speed to keep up he just grabs out of habit.

Carroll has speed and above-average cover abilities. He also has a penchant for picking up costly penalties that keep drives alive.

Right now, unless either Harris or Woodson gets injured or plays far below expectations, Carroll's high end for the 2006 season will be the role of nickel back. That's hardly what one would hope for a first-round pick.

So, it seems like the Packers were planning to play him at nickel, anyway.

MWballer

I don't think we'd cut Jimoh I think its much more likely we cut C. Burns and move R. Doughty or give V. Fox some playing time. I think both could do the exact same job if not better as Burns is doing and at the same time maybe recycle someones career. The guy is only 23 I think it'd be a good move. Jimoh goes no where though thats been GW's project since day 1/

Syllable
10-03-2006, 06:34 PM
First off, he has to clear waivers. Then 21 or so other teams have to decline putting in a claim on him. If we get him after all of that, what does that tell you?

If he's brought in then I'll support him. But that won't change the fact that he sucks.
Yes plenty of other teams will be going after him. You know the Texans will be for sure, Giants since they do look like swiss cheese, and many others who can pay him for a more prominant role.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Jimoh has been a backup his whole life though, and Carroll at least is better than Jimoh. If Carroll is clean I don't see why not play him. What I am thinking is that Carroll will probably want to be second cb at least and we cant give him that.

if carroll is from arkansas he is probably as dumb as a box of hammers and there is no way he is going to learn GW's system on the fly...

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:35 PM

His game last night sounded like a few of our games. Burned a few times and deep penalties. Sounds like our secondary. But we back our guys up and attribute it to a bad game. This guy had a bad game. Everyone does. Especially if you play for the Packers defense. Your right ill bet ya he wont get to us.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't think we'd cut Jimoh I think its much more likely we cut C. Burns and move R. Doughty or give V. Fox some playing time. I think both could do the exact same job if not better as Burns is doing and at the same time maybe recycle someones career. The guy is only 23 I think it'd be a good move. Jimoh goes no where though thats been GW's project since day 1/

except jimoh seems to be getting very little playing time lately..

i just hope doughty starts to look like a player soon

redskin_rich

He'll clear waivers and then he will be a free agent. Then he can chose who, of his suitors, he wants to visit. Why not come here?

BurgundyNGold
Did you not watch the game? Carroll looked lost. I mean really lost. Like "you could give him a map to his man, a compass and a seeing eye dog and he'd still be out of position" lost.

MWballer
10-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Me two still tho I think we bring might just bring him in to light a fire under some of these guys.

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Did you not watch the game? Carroll looked lost. I mean really lost. Like "you could give him a map to his man, a compass and a seeing eye dog and he'd still be out of position" lost.
Has anyone been able to stop the Eagles through the air this year? Not that i have seen.

Meatsnack
Bio at Scout.com: (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=8&c=1&yr=2006&nid=2432083)

Biography:
Pro
2005: Struggled early in the season with penalties and covering receivers. .... Lost his job to Joey Thomas but got it back when Thomas sustained a concussion and did not play any better. ... Committed 10 penalties in first eight games, but only two in second half of season. Finished with two interceptions. ... Showed potential late in season as a kickoff returner, averaging a team-high 20.5 yards on 19 returns.

2004: It was a trial by fire for Carroll during his rookie season. His penchant for holding and other penalties took away from the fact that he was in position on most pass plays, so the future is bright if Carroll gets a better grasp of the rules. Carroll took over the starting job at left cornerback in the sixth game, against Detroit. He started 11 games and made 53 tackles, one interception and scored one touchdown on his only fumble recovery. Also had two sacks and 10 passes defensed. Was rookie of the week against St. Louis, with an interception in the end zone and the aforementioned fumble recovery and touchdown. In first start against Detroit, Carroll helped limit the Lions to only 92 passing yards.

Selected 25th overall by Packers in 2004 NFL Draft. ... Junior eligible. ... Will be utilized as the team’s top defensive back off the bench in passing situations. If Mike McKenzie holds out or is traded, Carroll will be penciled in as the starter opposite Al Harris. ... Ran 4.26 40-yard dash in pre-draft workout.

College
Moved into starting lineup midway through his freshman year. Ranked as leading tackler on all of the squad’s coverage units. In 36 games with Razorbacks, he had 140 tackles (98 solos), 25 deflected passes, four interceptions, and 12 quarterback pressures.

I think this kid can play with the right coaching. Frankly, he would solve an ongoing problem we have which is we don't have any small, elite-speed nickel guy to cover little speed-burner slot receivers ala Terry Glenn. I hope we give him a look.

BurgundyNGold
I agree. And the Packers cut him purely as a scapegoat; out of frustration that their team sucks.
Then the coach should be canned next. There were 20 people that could've been cut because of all the missed tackles, blown assignments, dropped passes and especially bad passes. Cutting a 3rd year player, a a starter and a former first round draft pick to prove a point is beyond spiteful. It's juvenile, reactionary and stupid.

Unless he just straight up sucks the carrot.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Then the coach should be canned next. There were 20 people that could've been cut because of all the missed tackles, blown assignments, dropped passes and especially bad passes. Cutting a 3rd year player, a a starter and a former first round draft pick to prove a point is beyond spiteful. It's juvenile, reactionary and stupid.

coach trained under norval ?? cut someone, ANYONE to make a statement:lol1:

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
His game last night sounded like a few of our games. Burned a few times and deep penalties. Sounds like our secondary. But we back our guys up and attribute it to a bad game. This guy had a bad game. Everyone does. Especially if you play for the Packers defense. Your right ill bet ya he wont get to us.
Some might attribute it to a bad game. Not me. If they suck the carrot, I'll say so. Wright has been on my crumb list since preseason. I'm still undecided on Rumph because I don't think he has the physical tools to play corner against smaller, quicker receivers -- like the ones that routinely line up in the slot. Rogers is a disappointment to this point, but I've not given up hope. And, from what I've seen, Jimoh is better than Wright and comparable to Rumph. I think the reason Wright is playing is bacause we stroked a check for him in the offseason. I can't think of another reason why.

LATrueRedskin
10-03-2006, 06:47 PM

That's what I think. It's astounding how they hired that guy instead of a guy like Al Saunders.

How can you justify cutting one player as a result of the entire team's awful outing so far this year? That's pretty lame, and it looks like a big game of SYA by the coach.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Doughty (not Dougherty) will be pulling a Manny White/Nemo Broughton next year. He'll be lucky to make the roster, IMO.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Some might attribute it to a bad game. Not me. If they suck the carrot, I'll say so. Wright has been on my crumb list since preseason. I'm still undecided on Rumph because I don't think he has the physical tools to play corner against smaller, quicker receivers -- like the ones that routinely line up in the slot. Rogers is a disappointment to this point, but I've not given up hope. And, from what I've seen, Jimoh is better than Wright and comparable to Rumph. I think the reason Wright is playing is bacause we stroked a check for him in the offseason. I can't think of another reason why.

because fletcher stiffed us and we don't want to admit we took seconds ???:lol1:

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Has anyone been able to stop the Eagles through the air this year? Not that i have seen.
The Gints did pretty well in the second half of their game. But if you mean out of the 49ers, Texans and Packers then no, I don't think so. But they're a combined 3-9 if I'm not mistaken, so let's not give Philly the Golden Bagel award just yet. ;)

shally
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Doughty (not Dougherty) will be pulling a Manny White/Nemo Broughton next year. He'll be lucky to make the roster, IMO.

say it ain't so, joe..... doughty got a lot of reps this preseason and i think GW likes him.. neither nemo nor white got that kind of treatment..

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I disagree. Doughty has already showed a lot of effort and willingness to learn. He just needs to get up to NFL speed. He will be here a while and at the least, be a big contributor on Special Teams.

BurgundyNGold
because fletcher stiffed us and we don't want to admit we took seconds ???:lol1:
I'm glad you said it. :D

Meatsnack

Even so, it wasn't like you could point to one guy on the field and say he cost the Pack the game. You could just as easily have cut Favre for being so scattershot in the second half. Or Bubba Franks or Donald Driver for multiple drive-sustaining to drive-killing drops. Or the Packer front 4 for giving up a 34-yards TD scramble to McNugget. You see where I am going with this...

Teams win and teams lose in the NFL. QBs are more important on offense because they hold the ball every play but other than that one position, the rest are no more important than any other. Some are harder to fill than others because of the physical qualifications needed to play the position, like CB or OLT. In any case, every NFL team draws from the same pool of talent. What separates elite teams from also-rans is coaching and continuity. Green Bay doesn't have any.

Carroll got thrown into a starting role before he was ready due to injury. His technique seems to have improved year to year based upon what I can find. He certainly has the physical attributes needed.

In any case, as an extra for us, he was Arkansas' leading Teams tackler for punts and kicks every year there. So, he can play teams and is a good tackler. Surely that gets him Doughty's roster spot?

csquared
Well im glad we are on the same page about our guys. :lol1:

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I disagree. Doughty has already showed a lot of effort and willingness to learn. He just needs to get up to NFL speed. He will be here a while and at the least, be a big contributor on Special Teams.
Double or nothing on the tasty beverage?

BIGSEF3
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
i'd cut burns for this guy in a heartbeat. he did make some good plays against philly.

shally
10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm glad you said it. :D

i will say just about anything.. my wife says the filter between brain and mouth (in this case fingers) has worn out..:lol1:

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Well im glad we are on the same page about our guys. :lol1:
We're a disappointment back there without Springs. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another corner, but I don't want to cut Jimoh and I doubt they'll cut Wright or Doughty (not Dougherty). Especially not for Carroll.

Campbell2Moss13
10-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Sorry I have not been here for a while, but I think they should sign him and drop Ryan Boschetti because we do not need five DT. I think that he would work out great here with the great coaching staff of the redskins.

LATrueRedskin
10-03-2006, 06:55 PM
We're a disappointment back there without Springs. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another corner, but I don't want to cut Jimoh and I doubt they'll cut Wright or Doughty (not Dougherty). Especially not for Carroll.

What about Curry Burns or Vernon Fox? I think Carroll can play teams while he learns the position, and he probably has much more upside to him then either of those two.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Double or nothing on the tasty beverage?
Sure but that is a long wait for a drink. Why don't you pay up at the Tenn game and then we start a new one for higher stakes, like a bottle, lol.

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorry I have not been here for a while, but I think they should sign him and drop Ryan Boschetti because we do not need five DT. I think that he would work out great here with the great coaching staff of the redskins.
Thats an idea.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
That's actually not a bad idea. Boschetti won't be going anywhere, lol.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Sure but that is a long wait for a drink. Why don't you pay up at the Tenn game and then we start a new one for higher stakes, like a bottle, lol.
You're such a lush, lol.

OK, deal.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
What about Curry Burns or Vernon Fox? I think Carroll can play teams while he learns the position, and he probably has much more upside to him then either of those two.
Burns is first on the field between him and Fox, but Fox is supposedly a teams ace, so who knows.

csquared
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
The Gints did pretty well in the second half of their game. But if you mean out of the 49ers, Texans and Packers then no, I don't think so. But they're a combined 3-9 if I'm not mistaken, so let's not give Philly the Golden Bagel award just yet. ;)
Ill give you that. :)

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
CARROLL Ahmad 5- 9.5 195 4.36 [most recent time in the 40]

http://www.couchscout.com/pack.htm

he is short at 5'-8 (the height is never accurate) but he's pretty stout at 195 on that frame. he's a former 1st round pick. i dont know how physical he is but i know our coaching places a premium in physicality.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6784

edit: oops...posted this year's game log. then deleted it.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
You're such a lush, lol.

OK, deal.
I resemble that remark...err...yeah! ;)

Give me your terms via PM and I will accept or counter.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 07:03 PM
CARROLL Ahmad 5- 9.5 195 4.36 [most recent time in the 40]

he is short at 5'-8 (the height is never accurate) but he's pretty stout at 195 on that frame. he's a former 1st round pick. i dont know ow physical he is but i know our coaching places a premium in physicality.

he only played in the 1st (4) games last year...he must have been injured?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6784
He's only played in the first 4 games this year. He played in 16 last year and 14 the year before.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
He's only played in the first 4 games this year. He played in 16 last year and 14 the year before.
yes i edited my post because i was looking at this year's game log and thinking it was last year's. thanks.

Meatsnack
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I just realized that Carroll had a sack in the Phily game. Nice.

MONK_in_HOF
10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Man that is a quick trigger finger the Green Bay front office has. Carroll got roasted last night and I have seen him picked on like that before. The only thing I don't understand is why not replace him during the game?? If they drop him they must feel that they have somebody better.

Meatsnack
10-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Found This: (http://packers.blogspot.com/2004_05_01_packers_archive.html)

One thing that was mentioned on ESPN during the draft was that the CB Ahmad Carroll played man-to-man coverage at Arkansas, and that was needed by all teams in the NFL because the league would be enforcing the rule that defenders can't put their hands on receivers after 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. This was an issue last season, especially since keeping their hands on the receivers during their routes was a main part of the strategy used by Carolina's secondary in the playoffs. As jsonline.com reports, this isn't a new rule, just an actual enforcement of existing rules. Who knows if the NFL will actually improve their enforcement in this area, but it might take away some of the glamour from cover 2 coverage schemes in 2004.

on an old blog. Strange that the thing we was good at in the SEC is the thing he is weak at in Packer Land...Hmmm...could it be because the Razorbacks can pas rush better than the Packers? That gets my vote, anyway.

The fact that the guy has a history of very strong Teams play is a big plus as well.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Man that is a quick trigger finger the Green Bay front office has. Carroll got roasted last night and I have seen him picked on like that before. The only thing I don't understand is why not replace him during the game?? If they drop him they must feel that they have somebody better.
Al Harris and Charles Woodson, for starters. Carrol must have been the nickel. here's their roster:

LATrueRedskin
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Al Harris and Charles Woodson, for starters. Carrol must have been the nickel. here's their roster:

I think Woodson came out of that game, and Carroll took his place.

MONK_in_HOF
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM

Huh, I didn't realize they drafted Will Blackmon. I wonder how he is transitioning to the NFL and back to CB considering he played WR last year for BC. Actually I think it might have been the last 2 years of his college career at WR.
Edit: But the guy definitely has talent.

santanadasavior
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Sign him up, he is a great steal if we can get him. He would help secure our secondary and he could resume his form and be one of our guys of the future. He was drafted in the 1st round in Taylor's draft I believe.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
we are going to end up with our entire defense having been drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Syllable
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
There is so little chance this comes to life its unreal that we have 7 pages.

santanadasavior
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
we are going to end up with our entire defense having been drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

We're there right now with regards to the secondary, I think that that is a great thing, if we keep signing underachievers at other places I think that they can reappear. There is nothing that says that guys lose their touch because they preform poorly in one system. I would love to give this guy a shot in our system. The only problem is that when Springs comes back, with the way Rumph is playing right now, he might end up at dime back. There are teams that could play him at number two.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:31 PM

boschetti would seem to be the odd man out

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:33 PM
We're there right now with regards to the secondary, I think that that is a great thing, if we keep signing underachievers at other places I think that they can reappear. There is nothing that says that guys lose their touch because they preform poorly in one system. I would love to give this guy a shot in our system. The only problem is that when Springs comes back, with the way Rumph is playing right now, he might end up at dime back. There are teams that could play him at number two.
the entire secondary is composed of first round picks...Taylor, Springs, Rogers, Arch.

Wynn and Daniels were first round picks.

Griffin and Washington were 2nd rounders.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
he was inactive this past week, but he's still good depth in the event of an injury.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Burns is first on the field between him and Fox, but Fox is supposedly a teams ace, so who knows.

how many tackles has "ace" made for us this year ??
:lol1:

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:35 PM
just wait until Rocky gets his chance to play with the starters. Williams will determine when that happens, and he will be ready to go.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:36 PM
he was inactive this past week, but he's still good depth in the event of an injury.

honestly, i was surprised when he made the team.. but our def tackles are playing extremely well and he is unlikely to be better than #5 barring injuries.
the secondary is a point of weakness however.

MONK_in_HOF
10-03-2006, 07:36 PM

I agree. I would like to see him on the inactive list as opposed to TJ come game days. I think the performance and progression of Golston and Monty have made him expendable. I am assuming he will be inactive once Big Joe returns, which still leaves TJ out. :banghead:
Edit: I just noticed he was already inactive last week. Ughh I hate these roster crunches. The NFL needs to expand game day rosters considering how brutal the game has become.

The other person I would choose to dismiss would be Curry Burns. His futile effort at preventing Williams 1st TD was ugly.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM

I thought Woodson was playing Safety these days, I could be wrong on that but Carroll was definitely starting at CB last night.

BurgundyNGold
just wait until Rocky gets his chance to play with the starters. Williams will determine when that happens, and he will be ready to go.
If Holdman continues to cover like has has the last week or two, that could come sooner rather than later.

Syllable
how many tackles has "ace" made for us this year ??
I think Fox has made 2 big tackles on Kickoffs allready in the last 2 games. But that tells you nothing except we are wasting a roster spot on a kickoff guy instead of another CB to help depth. How many people are we behind in waivers before it comes to us?

shally

i thought that holdman has his poorest game last week... and the idea of him holding the edge against tiki is not reassuring to say the least..

bring on rocky...!!!

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I think Fox has made 2 big tackles on Kickoffs allready in the last 2 games. But that tells you nothing except we are wasting a roster spot on a kickoff guy instead of another CB to help depth. How many people are we behind in waivers before it comes to us?
I think that it is dependent on last year's draft order if I'm not mistaken, so like 20 or 21 teams.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM

about half the nfl... but, it is also about willingness to spend money and cap room.. philly was short on db's but i do not expect them to make a play

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
i thought that holdman has his poorest game last week... and the idea of him holding the edge against tiki is not reassuring to say the least..

bring on rocky...!!!
i find it hard to believe that Holdman or Posey are better than Rocky. he'll get his chance soon, and i think he will make plays to impress.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I think that it is dependent on last year's draft order if I'm not mistaken, so like 20 or 21 teams.

it is also about letting him clear waivers so his new team is not locked into a first round contract.. i bet he clears..

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
about half the nfl... but, it is also about willingness to spend money and cap room.. philly was short on db's but i do not expect them to make a play
every year they have more cap room than other team, but their owner wont spent it. that's why i have so much respect for Andy Reed.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
i find it hard to believe that Holdman or Posey are better than Rocky. he'll get his chance soon, and i think he will make plays to impress.

Posey is clearly a special teamer.. he is like campbell, but a poorer producer up to now..

shally
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
every year they have more cap room than other team, but their owner wont spent it. that's why i have so much respect for Andy Reed.

what have they gotten for their premium signings ? TO and kearse.. not exactly reinforcements for a policy of spending on premium picks...

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
it is also about letting him clear waivers so his new team is not locked into a first round contract.. i bet he clears..
Exactly, nobody is going to pick up his contract as is. He'll clear waivers and then be free to visit whoever calls and he will have to play out the year for a minimum salary most likely. No biggie, he has already received his bonuses to date from Green Bay. He should have a litle fire under his backside now, to try and get a new deal.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
what have they gotten for their premium signings ? TO and kearse.. not exactly reinforcements for a policy of spending on premium picks...
i actually applauded those signings, as a fan of a rival team. they had very few needs, being at the top of the nfc east. then they went out and got the premier pass rusher and wide receiver. that was all they needed, and they got the "best". i thought, that's how you do it, you get only a couple of really important guys, and you get the best in the league. but Kearse is hurt a lot, and TO is a cancer.

shally
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Exactly, nobody is going to pick up his contract as is. He'll clear waivers and then be free to visit whoever calls and he will have to play out the year for a minimum salary most likely. No biggie, he has already received his bonuses to date from Green Bay. He should have a litle fire under his backside now, to try and get a new deal.

absolutely, a contract year for him for certain.. if he is smart he could come out looking good.. if he is stupid he could end up with the texans...

shally
10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
i actually applauded those signings, as a fan of a rival team. they had very few needs, being at the top of the nfc east. then they went out and got the premier pass rusher and wide receiver. that was all they needed, and they got the "best". i thought, that's how you do it, you get only a couple of really important guys, and you get the best in the league. but Kearse is hurt a lot, and TO is a cancer.

i do not find fault with the concept.. what i mean is they got badly burned in one of their few forays into premium free agency.. that kind of thing has lasting effects.. perhaps that is why they did not go after bentley or any other top tier free agents...

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
i do not find fault with the concept.. what i mean is they got badly burned in one of their few forays into premium free agency.. that kind of thing has lasting effects.. perhaps that is why they did not go after bentley or any other top tier free agents...
every year they let their biggest problems fester like an infected sore, and then they are always at the top of the cap space, but do nothing. they let their leaders leave, and do nothing. then they finally take a chance on Kearse and TO and they get burned. i feel bad for Andy Reed, but i love it.

Skinz4lyfe
10-03-2006, 08:03 PM

EDIT: Dang Shally beat me to it. Great minds think alike. Or just means im 28 going on 55 now LOL!

You can never have too many CBs. Springs is getting older and to have 2 young CBs is gold. Besides, I believe Carter and Evans are both young and have some talent as pass rushing ends. We have some young guys w/good potential up front.

shally
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
every year they let their biggest problems fester like an infected sore, and then they are always at the top of the cap space, but do nothing. they let their leaders leave, and do nothing. then they finally take a chance on Kearse and TO and they get burned. i feel bad for Andy Reed, but i love it.

they have not addressed their lack of running game adequately.. year in and year out.. is is reid ? is it the front office? one way or other, they are not onthe same page.. or all are reading off the same wrong page...

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
they have not addressed their lack of running game adequately.. year in and year out.. is is reid ? is it the front office? one way or other, they are not onthe same page.. or all are reading off the same wrong page...
i'm pretty sure it's not Reid. i dont think he ever wanted TO. i dont think Parcells wanted him either. i think both of those singings were based on a meddling owner, which if we had gone there on the Redskins, Snyder would have been lynched by the media.

shally
10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
i'm pretty sure it's not Reid. i dont think he ever wanted TO. i dont think Parcells wanted him either. i think both of those singings were based on a meddling owner, which if we had gone there on the Redskins, Snyder would have been lynched by the media.

we had our moments with deion, jeff george, bruce smith, mark carrier...

shally
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
You can never have too many CBs. Springs is getting older and to have 2 young CBs is gold. Besides, I believe Carter and Evans are both young and have some talent as pass rushing ends. We have some young guys w/good potential up front.

especially with the pressure GW's defense puts on the corners.. we are seeing how vulnerable it can be without stellar corner play.. whatever we need to do to upgrade the corner position, i say, do it !!!

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 08:28 PM
we had our moments with deion, jeff george, bruce smith, mark carrier...
that's what i'm saying. we were bashed for having a "meddling owner" but they dont seem to have that same media coverage.

santanadasavior
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
especially with the pressure GW's defense puts on the corners.. we are seeing how vulnerable it can be without stellar corner play.. whatever we need to do to upgrade the corner position, i say, do it !!!

I agree, sign him to a one year deal and say that every corner spot is up for grabs every week, which isn't too much of a stretch, and see how he responds. If he plays well, hit him with a long term deal.

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
does he have to clear waivers? if so, i doubt we will even have a chance at getting him, much less clear the roster space and cap room for him.

RedskinRyan
10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
NO TO CARROLL

in the iggles/packers thread, i made a post saying he got released, and no talking of brinign him here, then i look in the cherokee forum...

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
my only question about getting Carroll is this...who gets released to make room for him? probably Burns. but what kind of a guy is he and how does it work for team chemistry? that's where i trust the coaches' decisions.

X-Factor13
10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I feel like the pack gave up on him way too early, but then again... he was cut from the 31st ranked pass D. But how could it possibly get worse than the corners we have? Plus it would mean fantastic depth for madden online if we picked him up!

shally
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
does he have to clear waivers? if so, i doubt we will even have a chance at getting him, much less clear the roster space and cap room for him.

we have a far better chance of getting him (if we really want him) if he has cleared waivers because HE gets to choose which offer he wants.. chances are he will want to go to a contender.

besides, once he clears waivers nobody has to honor his old contract.. very few teams are going to even want to consider locking themselves into a former first rounders contract.. he knows that as well..odds are overwhelming he will clear and then it becomes a free for all..

shally
10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
my only question about getting Carroll is this...who gets released to make room for him? probably Burns. but what kind of a guy is he and how does it work for team chemistry? that's where i trust the coaches' decisions.

burns is a safety and we are thinner there than at corner... doughty is not ready yet (he is always inactive),, fox is a special teamer... rumph is not a true safety..

the more i think about it, the greater is that some other position player goes.. boschetti ? maybe even molinaro ?

or we simply stand pat...

RedskinRyan
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
burns is a safety and we are thinner there than at corner... doughty is not ready yet (he is always inactive),, fox is a special teamer... rumph is not a true safety..

the more i think about it, the greater is that some other position player goes.. boschetti ? maybe even molinaro ?

stand pat.....carroll is no improvement, plus he'd need time to learn the system. at best we'd be hoping for another rumph type player, and well, rumph isnt our savior so it really is no help now, is it?

shally
10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
stand pat.....carroll is no improvement, plus he'd need time to learn the system. at best we'd be hoping for another rumph type player, and well, rumph isnt our savior so it really is no help now, is it?

i think rumph is an excellent pick up and will get better as the season goes on.. he is capable of eventually filling the role that that PP played..
but
rumph had a portion of preseason to get introduced to GW's defense. carroll wouldn't so his impact would not be felt for quite some time.
if they see carroll as a long time addition they might sign him, but i think it is less than 50/50 at this time..

SkinsASchamps
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I dunno if this has been said but I bet he goes to the Raiders or the Iggles. He wont come here IMO.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM

I think it depends on Springs. When he comes back, somebody will be deactivated and that same somebody could be released if the staff likes Carroll. Again, I think it hinges on Springs, if he will not be available for a while longer, why not seek an upgrade to what we have? Curry Burns or Vernon Fox are definitely succeptible to being deactivated and/or released.

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I dunno if this has been said but I bet he goes to the Raiders or the Iggles. He wont come here IMO.
Why would anyone go to the Raiders unless they were getting paid big money? The Eagles are in need of a Corner but would they want the guy they just got through victimizing?

shally
10-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I think it depends on Springs. When he comes back, somebody will be deactivated and that same somebody could be released if the staff likes Carroll. Again, I think it hinges on Springs, if he will not be available for a while longer, why not seek an upgrade to what we have? Curry Burns or Vernon Fox are definitely succeptible to being deactivated and/or released.

if it is last on, first off, that would be burns..

and you are right about springs being the key to the whole equation. if he comes back soon and comes back strong, anyone we pick up is either insurance or looking to the future

SkinsASchamps
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Why would anyone go to the Raiders unless they were getting paid big money? The Eagles are in need of a Corner but would they want the guy they just got through victimizing?

he would go the raiders bc he could play sooner. He will blame the packers overall D as the reason he stunk and was cut. He would go there to bring himself back to a 1st round type guy...

The eagles need a body. There arent many guys out there. Have you seen Hansen? He is terrible.

Why would we want a guy who just got victomizing?

shally
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM

well, at least he would be no surprise to the eagles..
and that is not the eagle way.. they usually have a couple defensive backs ontheir practice squad and that is where they would look to re load from..

redwolf1218
10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
when Springs comes back, i would think he would be tested. so i'm sure they will wait until he's totally 100% before playing.

shally
10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
when Springs comes back, i would think he would be tested. so i'm sure they will wait until he's totally 100% before playing.

you can imagine they will do to him what cincy did to rogers.. they will test him..
but, he may not be in football shape for most of this season.. i just get the feeling that this injury is really a lingering deal.. or he is becoming increasingly susceptible to injuries.

his dad was not particularly brittle as i recall. and he played FB.. go figure..

redskin_rich
10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
he would go the raiders bc he could play sooner. He will blame the packers overall D as the reason he stunk and was cut. He would go there to bring himself back to a 1st round type guy...

The eagles need a body. There arent many guys out there. Have you seen Hansen? He is terrible.

Why would we want a guy who just got victomizing?
We have picked up other reclamation projects and I think our coaching staff is a wee bit better than the staff up there in cheese country. ;)
Hey, we might not even bother and I would take that as a good sign but since we are just hypothesizing here, as we always do, I am just giving whatever reasoning I can come up with.
Do you really think it was Ahmed Carroll's fault that the Packers lost last night? Sure, he was abused but that whole team stinks and this move by them reeks of desperation more than prudence. The coach made a scapegoat out of Carroll, plain and simple. He could afford to do that, since he didn't draft him. Regardless of whether Carroll ultimately sucks or not, it was a stupid move.

lakeskin
10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
We have picked up other reclamation projects and I think our coaching staff is a wee bit better than the staff up there in cheese country. ;)
Hey, we might not even bother and I would take that as a good sign but since we are just hypothesizing here, as we always do, I am just giving whatever reasoning I can come up with.
Do you really think it was Ahmed Carroll's fault that the Packers lost last night? Sure, he was abused but that whole team stinks and this move by them reeks of desperation more than prudence. The coach made a scapegoat out of Carroll, plain and simple. He could afford to do that, since he didn't draft him. Regardless of whether Carroll ultimately sucks or not, it was a stupid move.

:goodpost:

shally
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
:goodpost:

it is the NORV way of doing things.... is he advising the pack inhis spare time ???

helimech24
10-03-2006, 10:23 PM
you can imagine they will do to him what cincy did to rogers.. they will test him..
but, he may not be in football shape for most of this season.. i just get the feeling that this injury is really a lingering deal.. or he is becoming increasingly susceptible to injuries.

his dad was not particularly brittle as i recall. and he played FB.. go figure..Now lets all be honest. When we picked up Springs, he had injury problems in Seattle and the big deal in DC was whether or not Springs could stay healthy long enough to replace Bailey. He was in perfect health in year 1 except when he got "Knocked the Hell Out," and he missed some time last year, and now he is missing time this year. We all forgot how he was after year 1 because he stayed healthy, but it looks like the critics were right. Lucky for us, GW depends more on the system than a single player.

hogs86
10-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I really think he can play in GW system.Carroll played at Arkansas and was a real good player.He just needs a new team.Sign him !! Real fast !!

shally
10-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Now lets all be honest. When we picked up Springs, he had injury problems in Seattle and the big deal in DC was whether or not Springs could stay healthy long enough to replace Bailey. He was in perfect health in year 1 except when he got "Knocked the Hell Out," and he missed some time last year, and now he is missing time this year. We all forgot how he was after year 1 because he stayed healthy, but it looks like the critics were right. Lucky for us, GW depends more on the system than a single player.

he takes good care of himself, from what i read about him, so maybe this is something he can overcome ?
if not, there is free agency next year and we will re load with the draft again..
they are doing the best that can be done this year...

helimech24
10-03-2006, 11:09 PM
he takes good care of himself, from what i read about him, so maybe this is something he can overcome ?
if not, there is free agency next year and we will re load with the draft again..
they are doing the best that can be done this year...Oh, I am not disagreeing with you about them not trying. Rumph is really getting into the act in a positive way, and Rogers is learning every game. I also love Springs, it is just that we can't put the blinders on. He is an older CB that has had problems in the past, and we need to learn to deal with them during the season.

shally
10-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh, I am not disagreeing with you about them not trying. Rumph is really getting into the act in a positive way, and Rogers is learning every game. I also love Springs, it is just that we can't put the blinders on. He is an older CB that has had problems in the past, and we need to learn to deal with them during the season.

right now i think they are thinking about who to target in free agency next year to fill springs role.. it will get done..

BurgundyNGold
10-04-2006, 12:21 AM
right now i think they are thinking about who to target in free agency next year to fill springs roll.. it will get done..
Mmmmm. Spring rolls....

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7171/homerdrool2zv8.gif

shally
10-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Mmmmm. Spring rolls....

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7171/homerdrool2zv8.gif

ouch !!!! the "humbler" at work..

Syllable
10-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I think there is more coverage talent at the secondary level then good pass rushers. That is... if we manage to have a first round pick come draft day...

thetrueyoung1
10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
don't know if this has already been posted because i didn't read all 11 pages but this is what was being said about him coming out of college

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/ahmad_carroll

he seems to have a ton of speed and seemed to be a top notch corner coming out of college, i say we give him a chance and let fox go.

fent
10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
here's all you need to know about Carroll...my old roommate (many know him from the draft party at my house) is a Packers fan and his comment on Carroll's release was "best day for the Packers in the last 2 years." he was also going to email ESPN to tell them to make Kevin Curtis the lock of the week for FFL because Carroll would be covering him as the third corner. one final question...what part of "third CB on the PACKERS DEFENSE" equals good?

edit...also, if he's worthy of playing in the NFL, why was he cut in week 4 rather than just released at the end of the year like every other schmuck used to fill out a roster?

smoak
10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
here's all you need to know about Carroll...my old roommate (many know him from the draft party at my house) is a Packers fan and his comment on Carroll's release was "best day for the Packers in the last 2 years." he was also going to email ESPN to tell them to make Kevin Curtis the lock of the week for FFL because Carroll would be covering him as the third corner. one final question...what part of "third CB on the PACKERS DEFENSE" equals good?

edit...also, if he's worthy of playing in the NFL, why was he cut in week 4 rather than just released at the end of the year like every other schmuck used to fill out a roster?

Honestly, a bag of elephant poo has a better chance of covering a WR than Carroll. He is the worst I've ever seen including Jimoh under Spurrier.

Redskinmayhem
10-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Honestly, a bag of elephant poo has a better chance of covering a WR than Carroll. He is the worst I've ever seen including Jimoh under Spurrier.
lol! I think we've got a good secondary right now....good enough to hold in a pinch at least. Next year, we really need to find some younger talent though. Or pick up a nice FA. Kinda makes you long for the days of Walt Harris lol.

NCskinsfanatic
10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
If someone releases a player that can play corner and safety and soften the blow of losing P2 then I'm all for it, but I think we need more depth at safety than CB right now....even with Springs hurt.

Redskinmayhem
10-04-2006, 10:15 AM
If someone releases a player that can play corner and safety and soften the blow of losing P2 then I'm all for it, but I think we need more depth at safety than CB right now....even with Springs hurt.
good point, losing P2 was a major blow.

Meatsnack
10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, but this bag of elephant poo can run a 4.3 forty. ;)

Syllable
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
lol! I think we've got a good secondary right now....good enough to hold in a pinch at least. Next year, we really need to find some younger talent though. Or pick up a nice FA. Kinda makes you long for the days of Walt Harris lol.
Our Secondary isn't "Broken" it is just lost like how our offense was in the first couple of games. We weren't completly dominated by the Jags on Defense, on the contrary we stopped them to limited first downs and played physical. When we get it figured out, which I know GW is going to work on this now that we had a pass rush, our defense will be in the top tier rather than smack in the middle or low tier.

shally
10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Our Secondary isn't "Broken" it is just lost like how our offense was in the first couple of games. We weren't completly dominated by the Jags on Defense, on the contrary we stopped them to limited first downs and played physical. When we get it figured out, which I know GW is going to work on this now that we had a pass rush, our defense will be in the top tier rather than smack in the middle or low tier.

i think you are right because the offense looked far different without portis.. hopefully the defense looks the same degree better with springs when he returns
the only other difference is that williams is in year 3 whereas saunders is just getting cranked up..

Syllable
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
i think you are right because the offense looked far different without portis.. hopefully the defense looks the same degree better with springs when he returns
the only other difference is that williams is in year 3 whereas saunders is just getting cranked up..
Yes, it is pretty ironic that we are faced with a Defense that is letting big plays up just when we start scoring. Also a blessing, Our offense is finally carrying the defense on it's back for a change.

shally
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM

so could cliff russell.. but he couldn't catch a cold.. you need some football skills too

PA Skins Girl
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
In 28 games with the Pack, he was called for 33 holding or pass interference penalties. This guy is possibly the worst CB ever.

Syllable
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
so could cliff russell.. but he couldn't catch a cold.. you need some football skills too
Don't remind me... How many Spurrier players who where picked up or drafted still play on the team?

shally
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Don't remind me... How many Spurrier players who where picked up or drafted still play on the team?

betts and rock ??

Syllable
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
betts and rock ??
2 years, 2 good men!

He really didn't go well picking players.

shally
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
In 28 games with the Pack, he was called for 33 holding or pass interference penalties. This guy is possibly the worst CB ever.

OMG ? is that true ? someone should have done him a favor and tied his hands behind his back..did he just develop bad habits because he could not possibly have functioned in the SEC with that kind of technique and been a 1st round pick.. that makes no sense

PA Skins Girl
10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
OMG ? is that true ? someone should have done him a favor and tied his hands behind his back..did he just develop bad habits because he could not possibly have functioned in the SEC with that kind of technique and been a 1st round pick.. that makes no sense
They made him practice with boxing gloves on to try to keep him from grabbing on. My husbands a Packer fan and he is thrilled that they let him go.

Meatsnack
10-04-2006, 06:45 PM

He may not have been very good with the Pack. But, really, who has been? Their D-line is a disaster area and their corners get left exposed for long periods of time.

Why have they drafted 8 CBs since 2002? Did all of them suck? When you have that kind of history, the burden of proof is on the organization to prove that they don't suck.

Carroll was a very good corner for Arkansas playing against SEC competition. He has the talent and had the mindset to play bump and run coverage. Why does he suddenly suck when he gets to Wisconsin? My theory is that he sucks at least in part because he started too early, got no support and played with a lousy front 7 in front of him.

PA Skins Girl
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
He may not have been very good with the Pack. But, really, who has been? Their D-line is a disaster area and their corners get left exposed for long periods of time.

Why have they drafted 8 CBs since 2002? Did all of them suck? When you have that kind of history, the burden of proof is on the organization to prove that they don't suck.

Carroll was a very good corner for Arkansas playing against SEC competition. He has the talent and had the mindset to play bump and run coverage. Why does he suddenly suck when he gets to Wisconsin? My theory is that he sucks at least in part because he started too early, got no support and played with a lousy front 7 in front of him.
I've seen him play enough to know he cant play on our team.

csquared
10-04-2006, 07:02 PM
I've seen him play enough to know he cant play on our team.
The Packers need to start by firing McCarthy. Then by getting rid of Favre. Cutting a cb after a bad game is ridiculous. With good coaching Carroll could be a servicable corner.

redwolf1218
10-04-2006, 07:57 PM
The Packers need to start by firing McCarthy. Then by getting rid of Favre. Cutting a cb after a bad game is ridiculous. With good coaching Carroll could be a servicable corner.
he might be better here than he was there. Rumph seems to be finding his way here pretty quickly. although Carroll is pretty small compared to our corners.

shally
10-04-2006, 08:09 PM

or has developed some atrocious work habits.. can they be undone?

shally
10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
he might be better here than he was there. Rumph seems to be finding his way here pretty quickly. although Carroll is pretty small compared to our corners.

he is 5' 11".. that is not that small.. but the main thing is that GW wants all his corners to be physical in taking on the run.. does he have that in him ? harris was not big, but he had heart and played the run decently..

redwolf1218
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
he is 5' 11".. that is not that small.. but the main thing is that GW wants all his corners to be physical in taking on the run.. does he have that in him ? harris was not big, but he had heart and played the run decently..
i saw him listed at 5'-9" here:

and they say most of those listing will add an inch to a short guy, or take away some pounds from a fat guy.

redskin_rich
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
i saw him listed at 5'-9" here:

and they say most of those listing will add an inch to a short guy, or take away some pounds from a fat guy.
He was listed as 5'10" on his NFL profile. That is usually the most accurate info.

On a side note, I read that he was charged with beating up a bouncer at a club, earlier this year, so I guess he can be physical.

shally
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
He was listed as 5'10" on his NFL profile. That is usually the most accurate info.

On a side note, I read that he was charged with beating up a bouncer at a club, earlier this year, so I guess he can be physical.

looks like he has trouble keeping his hands off people in all phases of life..

Syllable
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
If we bring Carrol in, we want him to be 'less' aggressive. We need smart players not fools.

shally
10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
If we bring Carrol in, we want him to be 'less' aggressive. We need smart players not fools.

that is a distinction that is lost on a lot of players.. we really want him to be smart. to attack the run. to play the receiver without getting called for stupid penalties, but to remain aggressive in his play.. it is asking a lot of a young player

Syllable
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
that is a distinction that is lost on a lot of players.. we really want him to be smart. to attack the run. to play the receiver without getting called for stupid penalties, but to remain aggressive in his play.. it is asking a lot of a young player
GW usually does this for vets, so far he has revitilized many vets careers since they are smarter on the ball and easier to coach. Younger players have the tendancy to overplay situations to try to make themself look better. This in turn causes mistakes and bad plays.

smoak
10-04-2006, 09:00 PM

Maybe not, but it can stay with WRs better and plays with better technique.

Honestly, I've seen Carroll in about 5-6 games and he is atrocious.

smoak
10-04-2006, 09:01 PM

It was probably a 4H club.

redwolf1218
10-04-2006, 09:03 PM
i guess if we brought in Carroll, someone else from the secondary would get released. that would probably be Curry Burns or Vernon Fox, but with Prioleau injured, and Doughty inactive every week, we need the depth at safety. plus our coaching staff will keep a guy like Fox for special teams, even if someone else is better than him at his position.

dabro
10-04-2006, 09:24 PM
We haven't already traded our number one pick away?

redwolf1218
10-04-2006, 09:53 PM
We haven't already traded our number one pick away?
not yet...but i wouldnt put it past them. it'll be pick number 32 anyway. but fortunately, we have no really big needs right now anyway.

Biggie
10-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I think the 49ers should sign him so that they could have the best secondary in the league: a formidable tandem of Walt Harris and Ahmad Carroll.

smave
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
i think we should go after him...im sure we could pick him up for cheap

BurgundyNGold
10-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, so Carroll was cut, what, 48 hours ago now? And the waiver period is, what, 24 hours? Has anybody signed him yet? I mean anyone in the NFL?

Meatsnack
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
*crickets*

MONK_in_HOF
10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, so Carroll was cut, what, 48 hours ago now? And the waiver period is, what, 24 hours? Has anybody signed him yet? I mean anyone in the NFL?

I thought that the waiver period was 48 hours, but no certain by any means. I am going to look for the rule. I would have to think some team will give him a shot once he clears.

shally
10-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I thought that the waiver period was 48 hours, but no certain by any means. I am going to look for the rule. I would have to think some team will give him a shot once he clears.

anyone seen redskin 1 circling ?

smoak
10-05-2006, 03:55 PM
anyone seen redskin 1 circling ?

If I saw Redskins 1 circling Carroll, I would try to shoot it down.

superskin
10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
If I saw Redskins 1 circling Carroll, I would try to shoot it down.

Exactly. Where were the "migs" in the air when we really needed them, as Redskins One approached Andre Carter?

No, just kidding. I am sure he will come around.

smoak
10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Exactly. Where were the "migs" in the air when we really needed them, as Redskins One approached Andre Carter?

No, just kidding. I am sure he will come around.

LMAO!!! You know... We do have quite a few members who are skilled in the fireld of aviation. Maybe we can get a man on the inside to help our interests.

Danny Boy: C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!!! We have to get this bird in the air so I can sign Ahmad Carroll.

helimech24: (wipes hands with a rag) Mr. Snyder, I'm afraid this plane isn't operational right now. I can't allow you to take off until we inspect the fuel system. (uses foot tohide wrench).