PDA

View Full Version : Statement Game

santanadasavior
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
This is the type of game that can really mold a season and change the complextion completely. I think that this is the kind of game that can get this team going. Who is with me? Playoffs or bust right now.

OCSKINSFAN
11-05-2006, 10:13 PM
This is the type of game that can really mold a season and change the complextion completely. I think that this is the kind of game that can get this team going. Who is with me? Playoffs or bust right now.

Get real. The Skins are 3-5. 1 more loss in the next few games and they are all but numerically out of it. A better time for this thread would be (hopefully) when they are 5-5.

redskinz#1fan
11-05-2006, 10:14 PM

I was there already this season, before this game. So you know I'm there now!

PennSkinsFan
11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I dunno
I am still very concerned abotu the play of our secondary. They were not strong today, we got lucky on a few Dallas drops, including TO's. Despite the offensive performance, I still see TO's drop and Vincent's block as gifts we got lucky on. Were still just not playing good pass defense at all.

Kudos to the Skins on an exhilirating win, but man pass defense, let's get the junk together man!

WarEagle
11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
For this team, I think the playoff train left the station already.

We just got a lucky break in this game. Could've gone either way. I'm happy, but I'm not ready to get psyched up about a postseason.

Strangest game of the day in the NFL, for sure.

redskinz#1fan
11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Get real. The Skins are 3-5. 1 more loss in the next few games and they are all but numerically out of it. A better time for this thread would be (hopefully) when they are 5-5.

It is stuff like this that should getted you jumped in a back alley. We just beat the cowgirls and you have something negative to say! :rolleyes:

santanadasavior
11-05-2006, 10:40 PM
I dunno
I am still very concerned abotu the play of our secondary. They were not strong today, we got lucky on a few Dallas drops, including TO's. Despite the offensive performance, I still see TO's drop and Vincent's block as gifts we got lucky on. Were still just not playing good pass defense at all.

Kudos to the Skins on an exhilirating win, but man pass defense, let's get the junk together man!

After all of the unlucky breaks we've gotten this season, it was about time that we got a lucky one. We also made a great play to get it done, ST showed athletesism, and Novak has confidence and we have confidence in him.

OCSKINSFAN
11-05-2006, 10:42 PM
It is stuff like this that should getted you jumped in a back alley. We just beat the cowgirls and you have something negative to say! :rolleyes:

I'm extremely happy with the win. I just don't think it makes sense to start talking playoffs at this point. I don't think that is negative.

Axegrinder
11-05-2006, 10:50 PM
As bad as we've been playing,I'll take this win to jump start the rest of the season.

FanFromArizona
11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
It's good that we got a good break, but let's remember that it was PURE LUCK that allowed us to win today.

We still have some TOUGH games ahead of us. We need another streak before we tallk about:

Mora: " PLAYOFFS? Playoffs?" :)

redskin_rich
11-05-2006, 11:00 PM
What he said was not negative. It was realistic. Look, I'm all for enjoying this win but this is not the time to start projecting. We are a flawed team but as we saw today, with 100% effort in all phases, we can win some games.
The only statement made today is that we will not go silently into the night.

shally
11-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I dunno

agreed.. we need to string together some more wins.. we need to begin by beating philly on the road

but a fine win to get things started.

Fathead
11-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm still on this team's bandwagon. I won't leave until they are mathematically eliminated.

Next week is another must win. Tough divisional game.

shally
11-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm still on this team's bandwagon. I won't leave until they are mathematically eliminated.

Next week is another must win. Tough divisional game.

i think we should be able to run on philly..

but the flip side is that our db's better play better or mcnabb will carve them up..

we need to prove we can win on the road...

CarMike
11-05-2006, 11:21 PM
I dunno

Couldn't disagree more. yeah, the TO drop was a gift. But how can you say Vincents block was a gift? What about we made a play when it was needed?

shally
11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Couldn't disagree more. yeah, the TO drop was a gift. But how can you say Vincents block was a gift? What about we made a play when it was needed?

absolutely not a gift.. that was his first block in 15 years inthe nfl..

he found an opening and made a great play.. no taking that away from him..

CarMike
11-05-2006, 11:26 PM
absolutely not a gift.. that was his first block in 15 years inthe nfl..

he found an opening and made a great play.. no taking that away from him..
He made a GREAT play! :D

shally
11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
He made a GREAT play! :D

a tremendous play by a guy who knows how to show leadership.. hopefully that spills over to the other db's the rest of the season.. it was columbo who missed his block.. that is what the dallas boards have been saying..

Green-Is-Good
11-06-2006, 12:44 AM
a tremendous play by a guy who knows how to show leadership.. hopefully that spills over to the other db's the rest of the season.. it was columbo who missed his block.. that is what the dallas boards have been saying..

Blah blah blah we've had enough of their excuses
We got the W and that's all that matters

I am still giddy from this win, but what made me more giddy was this thought:
Imagine if the situation were reversed. If we had the ball at the Dallass 19 with 6 seconds left, and attempted a 36 yard FG that was blocked. If the ball had been returned to our 32 after a penalty, and if Vanderjagt were to make the game winning 47-yarder. How PISSED would we be then?
Well that is what those Dallass fans are feeling, and that makes me pretty damned satisfied. :D

http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/positive6.jpg

shally
11-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Blah blah blah we've had enough of their excuses
We got the W and that's all that matters

I am still giddy from this win, but what made me more giddy was this thought:
Imagine if the situation were reversed. If we had the ball at the Dallass 19 with 6 seconds left, and attempted a 36 yard FG that was blocked. If the ball had been returned to our 32 after a penalty, and if Vanderjagt were to make the game winning 47-yarder. How PISSED would we be then?
Well that is what those Dallass fans are feeling, and that makes me pretty damned satisfied. :D

http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/positive6.jpg

actually, throughout the long history with dallas it has usually been us who were left down and depressed by the once in a decade play.. i have no mercy for them..

their boards are filled with stuff like, they can't win in blue jerseys.. or better still, they cannot win with aikamn calling their games.. imagine that ?
we know him to be a major homer for dallas, but they cannot get past losing 3 in a row which he was a commentator ... that is the stuff of losing franchises

Green-Is-Good
11-06-2006, 12:56 AM
actually, throughout the long history with dallas it has usually been us who were left down and depressed by the once in a decade play.. i have no mercy for them..

LoL
Shally I think you misread my post
I am saying that the fact they are whining ninnies after a loss makes the loss more enjoyable to me :D

RedSkinBrit
11-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Great win for the Skins,we needed that big time.Hopefully we can grow from this and take some cofidence into the next game.:)

smoot
11-06-2006, 03:28 AM
i'll just say one thing. it's one of the biggest cliches in sports, but i love it because of how true it is.

"You make your own luck"

LATrueRedskin
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Absolutely. Vincent made a really nice play to block that kick, and Sean made a really heads-up play by picking it up and running with it. Teams win with a little luck and things going their way. Yesterday we had that.

smoak
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I wasn't off the playoff bandwagon when we started 0-5 under Marty, and I am never off it until we are mathmatically eliminated.

I really think that in '07 we'll appreciate the tough learning experience that was '06.

hail2skins
11-06-2006, 08:59 AM
This game could have been different. We didn't get TD's when we had opportunities. Blunders with our center/QB exchange hurt us. Bogus penalties that took big plays away. It was nice to have the ball bounce our way for a change. I'll take the luck if it means we win.

santanadasavior
11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
As bad as we've been playing,I'll take this win to jump start the rest of the season.

That's what I'm saying. Despite recent events, this is the type of win that can change a season.

redskinz#1fan
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
What he said was not negative. It was realistic. Look, I'm all for enjoying this win but this is not the time to start projecting. We are a flawed team but as we saw today, with 100% effort in all phases, we can win some games.
The only statement made today is that we will not go silently into the night.

Rich, I have been predicting the playoffs the entire time. So I did'nt just start saying this, not unless you consider the beginning of the season.....just starting! ;)

santanadasavior
11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
This game could have been different. We didn't get TD's when we had opportunities. Blunders with our center/QB exchange hurt us. Bogus penalties that took big plays away. It was nice to have the ball bounce our way for a change. I'll take the luck if it means we win.

We've had enough bad luck this season that we need some good luck.

stonebraker
11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Lets just win next week?

Win next week or bust, imo.

Skins7ny
11-06-2006, 09:37 AM
When that kick curled back to the left of the right goal post, I just laughed uncontrollably for 5 minutes. Man, I needed that. Perfect, versus the Cows and Bill Parcells, Parcell's brain cramp on the 2-point converstion and the icing on the cake was T.O. dropping that 72 yard-bomb. Just beautiful.

Let's not forget to give credit to Kenny Wright, who knocked away Romo's 2-point conversion by reading the receiver's face and body language. That was one of the most important plays of the game-if he does not make it, the Cows probably win and everyone is talking about how ballsy Parcells is to have gone for the 2 points! Even though we were extremely lucky to win the game, this team certainly is capable of using this as a springboard to win 6 in a row and jump back into playoff contention. Let's hope it happens. They are relatively healthy compared to other teams, and proved last year that they could do it.

That said, this was an incredibly lucky win. We got out-played, and I'm sorry to say, out-coached. We had 3 opportunities in the first 10 minutes of play to knock the ball across the goal line, and we failed each time. We were getting no push in the running game all day long. Under those circumstances, Gibbs should have gone for 3. At the end, with the 49-yard attempt, Gibbs ran into the line three times even though Portis was averaging 2 yards a pop (except for his TD run). It was extremely conservative, and IMO a mistake. nd where the hell was T.J. Duckett on all of those short yardage plays at the goal line? He was dressed-if we weren't going to use him there, with Portis struggling, why did we trade for him?????? Also, Brunell gift-wrapped 2 interceptions to the Cowboys, who fortunately declined to catch the ball. That pass Brunell threw to Cooley in the end-zone was horrible, and a good microcosm as to why he should not be playing-he diagnosed the defense late, threw the ball late, failed to put enough muscle in it (if he had put it out a few feet more towards the back of the end zone, it would have been an uncontested catch) and floated it enough to give the Dalass defenders time to catch up to it. Cooley went from being wide open to having to make a great catch on a highly-contested ball.

Redskinmayhem
11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I dunno

agreed but the good teams are able to capitalize on those gifts. luckily, we were able to do so yesterday.

Apache
11-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't see us changing fate. That game coulda gone either way. Had we come out and totally dominated the Boy's, I say we might be at the beginning of a streak but, it was a good game to watch and I love the win but, I just can't picture anything of a post season hope unless the rest of the NFC lays down and play's dead and we start winning every game.

Redskinfan28
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I very happy with the win, but I don't think we are more than a 7 win team. We still have the worst DL in the league and teams still move the ball at will.

firehawk157
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't see us changing fate. That game coulda gone either way. Had we come out and totally dominated the Boy's, I say we might be at the beginning of a streak but, it was a good game to watch and I love the win but, I just can't picture anything of a post season hope unless the rest of the NFC lays down and play's dead and we start winning every game.

At the same hand, the game last season (Week 2) was a lot of luck and us barely squeezing by. It still catapulted our season. Anyways, I dont know at which NFC you guys are looking at, but right now the wild card spots are going to 4-4 teams. If we can win against Philly and Tampa, that should put us right there in the thick of things.

lightskin
11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Could we stop saying "luck".............that's how the dejected Cowboy fans refer to the game.

I'd like to say we won because of effort.........(i.e. blocked field goal).

:)

RedskinsReaper21
11-06-2006, 10:56 AM
As happy as I am for the win, lets not forget the Jags game. I thought that game would be the turnaround that we needed. Lets win 2 in a row (especially East games) then we can talk turnaround.

The Skinsinator
11-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Great victory but if we beat Philly we can really start to get excited. That was a heckuva game and a big loss for the Girls. Aikman and Jimmy Johnson you could tell a bit weren't thrilled with the outcome especially Johnson.

Apache
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Could we stop saying "luck".............that's how the dejected Cowboy fans refer to the game.

I'd like to say we won because of effort.........(i.e. blocked field goal).

:)

You have a good point. Had we not blocked the punt, recovered, and actually remembered we needed to run the ball it coulda gone differently. Sometimes, players remember that yes we need to block, then somone says we need to recover the ball but, they forget that they should run too. They very well could've blocked the ball and Dallas recovered. They could have blocked the ball, and jumped on it and settled for the fate of OT but, instead we remembered to not only block it, not only recover it, but managed to try for as many poitive yards as we can. The only luck we had on that play was the 15 yard face mask to put us in FG range. Great concentration on the Skins part. You did everything you could to help your team on that play. May Kuddos.

I would like to take this time to address Dallass. I want to thank TO for dropping several passes 1 in particular that would have given them a lead.
I would also like to give my thanks to the person who pulled the face mask penalty setting up our FG.

Thank you to the Skins for keeping the faith alive to the very end and I mean very end.

Does that work for you lightskin? LOL

DCassain21
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
For this team, I think the playoff train left the station already.

We just got a lucky break in this game. Could've gone either way. I'm happy, but I'm not ready to get psyched up about a postseason.

Strangest game of the day in the NFL, for sure.
i dont think so i beleive we are only one game out of the second wildcard spot i beleive it's a couple teams at 4-4 and were at 3-5 still very much in it

dukeuch
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I was traveling so I didn't actually see the game, but from the replays and stories, it seems we got awfully damn lucky. I suppose we make our own luck, so good job having the chance to win and taking it. But: we also had six chances at the end zone from the four and didn't score; except for one play, our running game totally sucked; for some bizarre reason, Parcells goes for two in the second quarter(?!). So I love beating the 'Boys, but I am afraid that the biggest thing that comes out of this game is the further delay in Campbell getting a shot. I will hate it if we go into his thrid year still having no idea if we can depend on him for our (near) future.

RedskinsATW!
11-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I am not on the playoff bandwagon and have not been since Week 2. Sorry, I know I'm a total.... skeptic (was that the word you were thinking of?). But anything is possible and we'll see. Somethings defy logic and odds. Is this team "one of those things"? Don't know. One game at a time. Let's go kick Philly in the keester and re-evaluate. Still 8 regular season games left to play.

Anywho, for those of us who remember Clint Longley's pass to Drew Pearson, Riggo's 80 yard run in Texas Stadium in 1979 just to lose 35-34 on a Staubach to Tony Hill fade route over Lemar Parrish which knocked the Redskins out of the playoffs, the Monday Night loss in 1983 (35-34 again, I believe), and Dallas going 1-15 with their ONLY win coming against guess who, or them ending our undefeated season (thus far) in 1991, I must say this is what makes the Redskins-Cowboys rivalry what it is: One of the greatest in sports. We've lost our share of "heartbreakers" and the fact that Dallass is feeling the pinch right now makes me giddy as a 8 year old school girl. Our win in Texas Stadium last year when "the triplets" were enshrined in their ring of honor and then yesterday is a down payment on many years of heartbreak. May they get ALL that they have coming to them. How 'bout dem Cowboys? <snicker>.

The fact that TO dropped "the game winner" in front of the world makes it even better. I'd give a week' pay to have ST put a Jack Tatum "assassin" type hit on him and put him out of all our misery (The only part I wished paralyzed is his mouth).

So far, even if we lose them all from here, the season will not be a total waste. Spite is a wonderful motivator, isn't it?!

MPCSkins
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
The one thing I think this game could do is give this team more chemistry. They were saying on Fox that this team said that they were lacking the chemistry they needed and I think coming together at the end of this game and blocking the kick and then all celebrating together on that 47 yarder will help bring this team closer and give them a lot more heart for next week's game. If we can beat Philly, then I'd completely forget about the losses. If we beat Philly at Philly, the season is not anywhere near over.

Redskin4Life
11-06-2006, 01:18 PM
The game was AWESOME... I watched it LIVE as my beautiful fiancee got me tickets as a b-day present and we sat sec 117 row 10?!?!?!?

As great as this game was, I am lacking one little thing to make this perfect... I didn't get a game program. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one?

smoak
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
The game was AWESOME... I watched it LIVE as my beautiful fiancee got me tickets as a b-day present and we sat sec 117 row 10?!?!?!?

As great as this game was, I am lacking one little thing to make this perfect... I didn't get a game program. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one?

Try ebay. They are all advertising any way. I like the media guide MUCH more.

Redskin4Life
11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks Smoak. Any other way to get them? Officially from the Redskins?

What's the difference between the media guide and the game program? Which one were they selling at the game?

Bluuz
11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Anywho, for those of us who remember Clint Longley's pass to Drew Pearson, Riggo's 80 yard run in Texas Stadium in 1979 just to lose 35-34 on a Staubach to Tony Hill fade route over Lemar Parrish which knocked the Redskins out of the playoffs, the Monday Night loss in 1983 (35-34 again, I believe), and Dallas going 1-15 with their ONLY win coming against guess who, or them ending our undefeated season (thus far) in 1991, I must say this is what makes the Redskins-Cowboys rivalry what it is: One of the greatest in sports. We've lost our share of "heartbreakers" and the fact that Dallass is feeling the pinch right now makes me giddy as a 8 year old school girl. Our win in Texas Stadium last year when "the triplets" were enshrined in their ring of honor and then yesterday is a down payment on many years of heartbreak. May they get ALL that they have coming to them. How 'bout dem Cowboys? <snicker>.

The fact that TO dropped "the game winner" in front of the world makes it even better. I'd give a week' pay to have ST put a Jack Tatum "assassin" type hit on him and put him out of all our misery (The only part I wished paralyzed is his mouth).

Yeah I remember and witnessed all of the above heartbreaker losses to Dallas.
The game lost by the improbable Clint Longley pass was the worst. That guy was a nobody and I think he was kicked off the team the next year for punching Roger Staubach.

Last year was indeed sweet when the "ring of honor" celebration was spoiled at the last minute by S. Moss. Yesterday's game was maybe even better because of the shocking conclusion. I think these games prove that the Redskins-Cowboy rivalry still lives and are some of the most exciting games in the NFL.

smoak
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks Smoak. Any other way to get them? Officially from the Redskins?

What's the difference between the media guide and the game program? Which one were they selling at the game?

The game day program is the magazine sized book that is 75% advertisment. If you call the Redskins store, they could probably get you one.

The media guide is a smaller book that has LOADS more information in it. It is not printed week to week so it wouldn't have anything on new players (i.e. Troy Vincent), but it is has everything the media need to prep for the game. Roster, historical stats, bios, news, milestones, etc.

skins111111
11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
so we're 3-5 1/2 way through the season..........7-1 gets us in the playoffs and 6-2 could get us in especially with a W over the Giants and 2 against Philly. It all starts next week and I feel good about it.

PennSkinsFan
11-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Mike, your right. I guess I stated this wrong. I guess it should have been stated such as, instead of gifts, rare plays. We rarely get a block like that and I do not mean to downgrade that Vincent effort by calling it a gift when it was more of just a fantastic play. The fact is though, take out TO's drop and Vincent's block and we were 2-6. I guess my whole point here is, i really am smiling wider than ever right now with this win, but in essence, it really has not changed my mind about the lack of offensive chemistry and cohesiveness and the horrendous downgrade our defense has taken in pass defense. I really di dnot see much improvement, defensivly. The pass defense is simply scary!

EagleAye
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Enjoyed the game guys. That was a squeaker. The 'evil one' admitting he left the team down was priceless!! Congratulations to the Skins. Ya hung in there and came out a winner. However, it wasn't a typical Redskins type of game. What's happened to that defense this year?

On to Philly. Should be a barn burner.

shally
11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Enjoyed the game guys. That was a squeaker. The 'evil one' admitting he left the team down was priceless!! Congratulations to the Skins. Ya hung in there and came out a winner. However, it wasn't a typical Redskins type of game. What's happened to that defense this year?

On to Philly. Should be a barn burner.

a real statement game for our team.. can we finally win on the road against a good opponent ?

vabeach_skinsfan
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I won't be tricked into thinking about the playoffs! We need to take it one game at a time. Granted this was great win, and problay more so a moral victory which should get us some of our mojo back. But we still need to play D, especally the secondary.

This victory just bought us another week. Hopefully we can continue this winning trend.

EagleAye
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
a real statement game for our team.. can we finally win on the road against a good opponent ?
Based on the recent Eagles losing streak, you guys have as much chance as the Eagles to win it. They have been VERY unlucky this year. Get'em while they're down folks!

EagleAye
11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I won't be tricked into thinking about the playoffs! We need to take it one game at a time. Granted this was great win, and problay more so a moral victory which should get us some of our mojo back. But we still need to play D, especally the secondary.

This victory just bought us another week. Hopefully we can continue this winning trend.
Anytime you can beat a rival its a very good win. Those Cowgirls are having a tough time with the NFC-E. Oh, I feel so sad for those cowpokes...........:)

Nah, jumpin' for joy here. Can't get enough of it!!:dalassuk:

X-Factor13
11-07-2006, 11:08 PM
The NFC is WIDE OPEN...

we have the talent to beat everyone in our division...

brunell might have finally solved his issue with never throwning downfield...

... and we finally have our starting defense out and ready to play...

... no matter how bad...

what have we got to lose? you bet i'm in!!

X-Factor13
11-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Anytime you can beat a rival its a very good win. Those Cowgirls are having a tough time with the NFC-E. Oh, I feel so sad for those cowpokes...........

Nah, jumpin' for joy here. Can't get enough of it!!:dalassuk:

you and me both man!

unfortunatley your team has to be next!

:Padawan:

Skins57
11-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I dunno

I agree Mark but could this game been a sign, if any three coaches can get this teams and thier units together it is Joe, Al and Greg. maybe this is a wake up for the whole team. But I will say this Dallas game was a huge win but the Philly game this weekend is much bigger I believe, we can not lose any more division games and this is the biggest one to date