PDA

View Full Version : there he goes again...

shally
12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
well, what would the holiday season be without former president jimmah carter lending his weight to uplifting spirits and good will towards men

he has just published his latest book comparing the palestinian situation to apartheid and setting off a firestorm of protest.. check it out on line at www.nytimes.com.. his position (historically totally already refuted) is that if only the israeli's would give back the territories they would have peace..

the man simply cannot contain his unabiding emnity towards israel.. in view of the on going iran conference denying the existence of the holocaust, i am truly surprised he is not attending at their keynote speaker

truly a vile and despicable human being wrapping himself in insufferable robes of false piety...

Spence
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Do you have a link to the actual book review? I can't find it at the site. Seems weird to me that Jimmy Carter would write that all problems between Palestinians and Israelis would disappear with a simple land exchange. Never heard him say that before.

Carter did a huge favor for Israel by negotiating the Camp David Peace Accords. Those accords, which brought peace between Egypt and Israel, made Israel safer than it had ever been before. A general war between Arabs and Israel is impossible without the biggest Arab country [and army] of them all, Egypt.

shally
12-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Do you have a link to the actual book review? I can't find it at the site. Seems weird to me that Jimmy Carter would write that all problems between Palestinians and Israelis would disappear with a simple land exchange. Never heard him say that before.

Carter did a huge favor for Israel by negotiating the Camp David Peace Accords. Those accords, which brought peace between Egypt and Israel, made Israel safer than it had ever been before. A general war between Arabs and Israel is impossible without the biggest Arab country [and army] of them all, Egypt.

the peace terms had actually been negotiated by the parties themselves and they were in the process of announcing it before carter insisted it be framed at camp david ..

the only reference i have is to the ny times.. i do not have any reviews of the book itself since this just hit the news today.. it points out that at least 1 of his staffers has resigned over the book

Spence
12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Here is a link. (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/13/america/NA_GEN_US_Jimmy_Carter_Israel_Palestinians.php)

Shally, you must know that no peace between Arabs and Israelis is possible without the intervention of the United States. Carter worked his tail off to get that deal done and only the U.S. could guarantee safety to both parties, Egypt and Israel.

Using the word 'apartheid' in the title of the book seems intended to provoke. He shouldn't have gone that way. I can't comment about the rest of the book since I haven't read even a single word of it. I will say, however, that Palestinians in Israel face pretty ferocious discrimination and have since long before either the first or second intifada. No one in Israel pretends Palestinians in Israel receive equal treatment before the law or government, so why should we pretend? Apartheid is not an accurate analogy, but I see what he is getting at. As I wrote, I'd have used a different word/analogy.

shally
12-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Here is a link. (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/13/america/NA_GEN_US_Jimmy_Carter_Israel_Palestinians.php)

Shally, you must know that no peace between Arabs and Israelis is possible without the intervention of the United States. Carter worked his tail off to get that deal done and only the U.S. could guarantee safety to both parties, Egypt and Israel.

Using the word 'apartheid' in the title of the book seems intended to provoke. He shouldn't have gone that way. I can't comment about the rest of the book since I haven't read even a single word of it. I will say, however, that Palestinians in Israel face pretty ferocious discrimination and have since long before either the first or second intifada. No one in Israel pretends Palestinians in Israel receive equal treatment before the law or government, so why should we pretend? Apartheid is not an accurate analogy, but I see what he is getting at. As I wrote, I'd have used a different word/analogy.

here is the deal as far as i can see it from my own slant.. the plight of the palestinians is truly awful.. but so much of it is due to the intransigent position their leadership has taken.. there is land enough for both to live in peace, but as long as the palestinian position is that israel must cease to exist totally, it will simply never happen.. . they could have easily had peace and a country of their own under clinton. they chose to reject the granted to ask for the destruction of israel and then launched the insane intifada..

as for the way they are treated in israel, i am not going to deny that discrimination exists.. but in israel there is the rule of law and the average palestinian is better and more fairly treated in israel than in any other arab country.. despite the lip service paid to their plight by other arab nations

when the palestinians want peace and demand it of their leadership there will be peace-- and not before that.. and it is certainly not aided by the election of hamas and the interstitial fighting between the various factions in palestine