PDA

View Full Version : HailRedskins.com NFL Awards

Spence
12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
It's updated weekly and we've got about half a dozen changes to the list this week, so read it now! (http://www.hailredskins.com/blog/index.php?p=384)

SkinsfaninNJ
12-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Good picks Spense. I'm glad you join me on the Jason Taylor side for D. He's had an incredible season that got lost in disappointment of the team.

What about Chad Pennington for comeback player? His stats aren't great, but he's played a whole season and leading Jets to places most thought not possible.

dj_stouty
12-21-2006, 01:29 PM
As much as i hate to admit it...Marion Barber should probably get some consideration for most improved. The guy is 2nd in the league in rushing TDs.

Of course, I wouldn't take anything away from Frank Gore, who is a on rushing tear...

Spence
12-21-2006, 02:03 PM
What about Chad Pennington for comeback player? His stats aren't great, but he's played a whole season and leading Jets to places most thought not possible.Well, he completes a very high percentage of his passes, but they don't go very far and he has more interceptions than touchdowns. He's certainly an upgrade over what the Jets had at quarterback last season, when Pennington missed 13 games to injury, but I just don't think he's been all that good. If you read The World's Most Prestigious Power Poll you know I've been on a bit of a jihad against the Jets because of their preposterously weak schedule.

Spence
12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
As much as i hate to admit it...Marion Barber should probably get some consideration for most improved. The guy is 2nd in the league in rushing TDs.

Of course, I wouldn't take anything away from Frank Gore, who is a on rushing tear...Barber would be a good choice, even though picking two Cowboys for honors on that list would be like swallowing poison. I came close to going with Barber, but I think Gore is playing great and Losman has come out of nowhere to very quietly have a terrific season. Losman completed fewer than 50% of his passes last year. This year he's completing over 63% of his passes. His passer rating has gone from 64.9 to 88.5 -- which is higher than Tom Brady's passer rating. Losman has helped turn Lee Evans into a legitimate star wideout and he hasn't had much help other than that. The Bills don't have a single decent wideout after Evans. The offensive line is mediocre, Willis McGahee is having a subpar season, but the Bills are one of the hottest teams in the NFL. They've gone 5-2 since their bye and those two losses were to the Colts by one point and the Chargers by three points. I've taken a few shots at Losman the last few years, but I have to give him what's due. He's had a hell of a season and now looks like a very good late first round draft pick.

CNYSkinFan
12-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Best Rookie: TB/RS Maurice Jones-Drew [Jacksonville Jaguars]
Runner Up: QB Vince Young [Tennessee Titans]

Look I love Jones-drew because he is on oen of my teams ....BUT

The Roy vote starts and ends with Bush and Young. The impact those two have had on their respective franchise outweigh the stats and accolades of others.

Spence
12-21-2006, 02:30 PM

The Roy vote starts and ends with Bush and Young. The impact those two have had on their respective franchise outweigh the stats and accolades of others.I don't agree. I think the biggest reasons for the turnaround in New Orleans are Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and Reggie Bush -- in that order. Maurce Jones-Drew has 13 TD this season. He's got 10 TD as a runner, 2 TD as a receiver, and one TD as a kick returner. [And he averages almost 28 yards per kick return.] He does it all. He averages an incredible 5.7 yards per carry. Compare that to Bush's 3.2 yards per carry. Fact is, Bush is a terrific pass receiver, but he's a lousy running back so far. Not sure why that is, but it is true. Jones-Drew plays in a rinky-dink little town for a team almost nobody notices and Bush is the Heisman Trophy winner playing for what has become America's Team since the Katrina disaster. I get that. But the season Jones-Drew has been having is masterful.

I've got no argument with Vince Young, as I've placed him in my runner-up position. He's a real winner. If his stats were a bit better he'd be in the lead, but it is hard to give him credit for a win last week, when the defense scored three times and his offense amassed fewer than 100 total yards.

esmith1790
12-21-2006, 02:53 PM
i am leaning towards MJD also, i heard on the ESPN radio that he has over 2000 combined yards from scrimmage. that is a lot from a rookie.

Dolla Bill
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I have to agree with Jones-Drew, but Colston would of had this on lockdown if he didn't get injured. That's in a world of woulda, shoulda, couldas though.

RedskinRyan
12-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I have to agree with Jones-Drew, but Colston would of had this on lockdown if he didn't get injured. That's in a world of woulda, shoulda, couldas though.

he also practically disappeared against our secondary, who hasnt been able to stop many receivers this year.

id give losman the most improved. gore showed a lot of promise as a backup to barlow last year, so much that they decided they could trade him to the jets, which they only got a draft pick, but they have a running back who is having one of the best seasons this year still, while barlow isnt playing much at all. giving the fulltime starter job, gore has gotten his chance. losman always struggled, but has really caught on lately.

Spence
12-21-2006, 04:56 PM
id give losman the most improved. gore showed a lot of promise as a backup to barlow last year, so much that they decided they could trade him to the jets, which they only got a draft pick, but they have a running back who is having one of the best seasons this year still, while barlow isnt playing much at all. giving the fulltime starter job, gore has gotten his chance. losman always struggled, but has really caught on lately.Gore/Losman is the closest race on my honors list and there are two games to play [neither is going to the playoffs] so it could definitely change. Gore was good last season, but he's a stud this year and it is his first year as the primary tailback. Two more good games from Losman could put him over the top, though. Aside from LT and Hester, a lot of these awards could change.

RedskinsDave
12-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I still will always disagree with giving the coach of the year to the guy with the most talent. I prefer it goes to someone like Payton or Mangini.

openallnight
12-21-2006, 05:05 PM

You have another team besides the Redskins??? :confused:

openallnight
12-21-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't agree. I think the biggest reasons for the turnaround in New Orleans are Drew Brees, Sean Payton, and Reggie Bush -- in that order. Maurce Jones-Drew has 13 TD this season. He's got 10 TD as a runner, 2 TD as a receiver, and one TD as a kick returner. [And he averages almost 28 yards per kick return.] He does it all. He averages an incredible 5.7 yards per carry. Compare that to Bush's 3.2 yards per carry. Fact is, Bush is a terrific pass receiver, but he's a lousy running back so far. Not sure why that is, but it is true. Jones-Drew plays in a rinky-dink little town for a team almost nobody notices and Bush is the Heisman Trophy winner playing for what has become America's Team since the Katrina disaster. I get that. But the season Jones-Drew has been having is masterful.

I've got no argument with Vince Young, as I've placed him in my runner-up position. He's a real winner. If his stats were a bit better he'd be in the lead, but it is hard to give him credit for a win last week, when the defense scored three times and his offense amassed fewer than 100 total yards.

Actually, I think Hester should win rookie of the year. A rookie breaking Kenny Houston's all-time single season TD return record is just silly. But, since you already have him getting an award I guess it's all fair ;)

openallnight
12-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow, now that I think about it this year is a stellar rookie class!
Would have been a good year to have a first rounder :banghead:

HAWGZHEAD
12-21-2006, 05:30 PM
he also practically disappeared against our secondary, who hasnt been able to stop many receivers this year.

Well he had 7 catches for 84yds, pretty solid.

garedskin
12-24-2006, 06:54 AM
Tomlinson is a no brainer.My second choice how ever would be dare I say it.....oh what the hell QB.........Drew Brees from the team formerly known as the aints.He is the 1st saints QB (who actaully deserved) to go to the probowl not named Manning.Archie Manning was th last saints QB to go to Hawaii.I really believe he has done alot more for his team than Payton has done for his.What I mean is that we all expect Payton to be Payton year in and year out.Brees was cut by the Chargers,has lifted his new team from the ruins, and won their division when most predicted them to finish last once again.I am glad to see Brees having such a great year especially since the only team that wanted him was a team that was displaced the season before as well.
It is emotional for me some what of my assesment but If they decided to give it to them both as co MVPS I would applaude that decision.But that is just me.:Peace:

swheeler
12-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Good to see Drew getting respect this year. He's definitely the best player to come out of UCLA in a while.