PDA

View Full Version : What about Grimm?

garedskin
12-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I sure as hell dont know where threads are to be slotted in what form.I will leave that to the mods.

I know we have all been wondering out loud over the last 3 to 4 years why Monk is not in the HOF.
I am equally miffed why at least one of the great HOGS is not in Canton as well.Hell the Hogs brought much attention to a mostly silent dirty job.
Russ Grimm helped pave the way for 1000+ yards backs such as Riggins,Rogers,and Byner.Hell even Jay Schroeder was able to stand tall in the pocket to pass for over 4000 yards in 86.He was part of a unit that went to 4 superbowls and won 3 of them in record fashion.I believe they still have the top 2 records for team rushing yards in a superbowl.If that is not performing under pressure I dont know what is.
It is ALSO time to start making noise about Russ Grimms accomplishments and his lack of respect by those so honorable electors to Canton.Someone needs to make a video of this guy if possible.He has earned my vote every year....as well as Monk.Just wanted to throw that out there.:Peace:

I hope that is better.

hail2skins
12-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Each forum description should give you an idea of where threads go. You can help the mods by posting in the appropriate thread. It would also be nice to seperate your sentences so we can read you better.

Keino
12-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I agree Grimm should be in the HOF, and in fact, potentially has a stronger argument than Monk does. It would be nice to see them both get into the Hall this year, with a Darell Green induction on his first ballot next year.

BurgundyNGold
12-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I agree Grimm should be in the HOF, and in fact, potentially has a stronger argument than Monk does. It would be nice to see them both get into the Hall this year, with a Darell Green induction on his first ballot next year.
Huh? Are you basing that on pro bowl appearances?

Grimm should definitely be in, but I say let's focus on the no brainer induction first (Monk). Then we can get WWD to do a pancakce video for Grimm, lol.

garedskin
12-26-2006, 08:58 AM

I agree.
It would be a great day when they ALL finally get in.
I dont think DG is eligible until the 2008 vote.
I believe it is after the 5th year of retirement that they are allowed to be shafted by the process.
I am worried they will some how shaft DG.
I am weary of the lack of thought process the voters show these days.
No one can tell who is going to get in every year.
Some day they will make a "Live Show" announcing the chosen few and the shafted deserving.:Peace:

Spence
12-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I agree with Keino. The two players from the Gibbs 1.0 era who have the best claim to the Hall of Fame are Darrell Green and Russ Grimm. I'd also stick Monk in there, of course.

Dolla Bill
12-26-2006, 09:00 AM
When I saw the title for this, I thought it was about a coaching change. I do agree about Grimm. He was a dominating OL during Gibbs 1.0

BurgundyNGold
12-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree with Keino. The two players from the Gibbs 1.0 era who have the best claim to the Hall of Fame are Darrell Green and Russ Grimm. I'd also stick Monk in there, of course.
[reminder to stick in picture of stupid owl here later]

I really would like to know the basis of this. Is is pro bowls? As I see it, Grimm and Green never lead the league in anything. Granted, Grimm gets a pass since they don't really track stats aside fron penalties for an OL, but you get my point. Set set both season and career records which are easily measurable against his contemporaries as well as those who came before.

For the record, I'm not saying you're not right, I just would like to know how you can be so sure that Green and Grimm have a better argument.

hogs86
12-26-2006, 09:58 AM
The Hogs go down as the best ever !! I think May, Jacoby,Grimm, Bostic,Starke,Warren should go in as a team one can not get in with out the other.You can make a case for each player why they should be in the HOF.By the way IMO Monk will get in this year.Then we will start to see the Hogs get in.The NFL has a pecking order.

OCSkinzFan
12-26-2006, 10:22 AM
What about Dave Butz?!

As far as linemen, I'd say:

Jacoby
Butz
Grimm

And Manley (if he wasn't banned for life from the NFL)

Ibleedburgundy
12-26-2006, 10:24 AM
In a perfect world the Hogs would be elected to the HOF as a group.

RedskinRyan
12-26-2006, 10:53 AM
When I saw the title for this, I thought it was about a coaching change. I do agree about Grimm. He was a dominating OL during Gibbs 1.0

lol same here. but grimm seems to be highly respected. who knows, could take over pitt.

OCSkinzFan
12-26-2006, 10:57 AM
In a perfect world the Hogs would be elected to the HOF as a group.
Perfect HOF = oxymoron

shally
12-26-2006, 11:10 AM

me too..

i think grimm belongs in there for certain.. jacoby as well.. add monk and green who should be locks..

hogs86
12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Since we are talking about redskins players that should be in the HOF.Please tell me why a player who made the pro bowl 10 times and is not in the NFL HOF.
Chris Hanbuger.

Keino
12-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Huh? Are you basing that on pro bowl appearances?

Grimm should definitely be in, but I say let's focus on the no brainer induction first (Monk). Then we can get WWD to do a pancakce video for Grimm, lol.

No. I am basing it on sheer dominance at the position relative to others who played the position during the years Grimm played for us. Grimm was for a decade the best OG in the game. He led the best Offensive line unit in football and contributed to 4 Superbowl Appearances and 3 rings. Grimm is arguably the best G to play in his era. He is the no brainer induction.

There were years that Monk, as deserving as he is to have his bust in Canton, was not the best WR on our team. At the risk of sounding like Peter King, Monk was rarely our most explosive WR. It is the other things he did, in addition to the measurables that make Monk deserving of the HOF. He was Consistant, but not always dominant. We made 2 of our Superbowls with Monk injured and yet didn't miss a beat in the passing game. I don't think we could've withstood losing Grimm the way we did Monk.

As for Darrell Green, he is a 1st ballot guy, hands down. He has an argument for best CB ever (though I wouldn't personally make it). In addition to being the NFL's fastest man for like 10 years (Irrelevant to football, but that is leading the league in something) Green was asked to folllow every team's best WR around all day in Man coverage. In addition, DG has huge clutch plays, be it knocking down the Minnesota pass that propelled us to the SB or the Punt Return against Chicago when he willed us a TD. The guy played CB at a high level for 18 years and then was the best Nickle Back in the game for his final 2. That's 1st ballot material to me.

Keino
12-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree.
It would be a great day when they ALL finally get in.
I dont think DG is eligible until the 2008 vote.
I believe it is after the 5th year of retirement that they are allowed to be shafted by the process.
I am worried they will some how shaft DG.
I am weary of the lack of thought process the voters show these days.
No one can tell who is going to get in every year.
Some day they will make a "Live Show" announcing the chosen few and the shafted deserving.:Peace:

Well that would be next year. The 2007 vote is the one we are all hoping includes Monk and Grimm....that happens in January. The 2006 class has been inducted already.

Green is elligible in 2008, and should make it with no problems.

openallnight
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
me too..

i think grimm belongs in there for certain.. jacoby as well.. add monk and green who should be locks..

I'd add Dexter Manley to that list.

SkinsfaninNJ
12-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Assuming Green is firt ballot and Monk gets in, does that shut the door on the 80's Skins? Many people in discussing players credentials take a step back, look at the team and see how many teammates have made it. There is often a perception that certain teams should only have so many HOF's.

For 80's Redskins, that would make, Riggins, Green, Monk and Gibbs. I still think a member of most storied o-line in history has to get in, but could voters think 4 80's Redskins is enough?

shally
12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Assuming Green is firt ballot and Monk gets in, does that shut the door on the 80's Skins? Many people in discussing players credentials take a step back, look at the team and see how many teammates have made it. There is often a perception that certain teams should only have so many HOF's.

For 80's Redskins, that would make, Riggins, Green, Monk and Gibbs. I still think a member of most storied o-line in history has to get in, but could voters think 4 80's Redskins is enough?

i think the only way jacoby makes it in is via the old timers route.. he need gets the respect he deserves.

if he had played on the old packers or the miami dolphins he would be enshrined already.. darn shame

Keino
12-26-2006, 02:18 PM

Grimm and then I think the Door shuts.....or at least closes for about 30 years when the Jacoby contemporaries are on the Senior committee.

I actually am ok if it is Grimm, Green, Monk and Riggo as the HOF players from the 80's Redskins teams. I think Dexter derserves some consideration as well when you consider his numbers.

garedskin
12-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Since we are talking about redskins players that should be in the HOF.Please tell me why a player who made the pro bowl 10 times and is not in the NFL HOF.
Chris Hanbuger.

Your damn right about him.
He was getting in when making the Probowl actually ment something.It was not a popularity contest back then.They ALL had to earn it.I think his time limit of eligibility has expired so the only way in for him now is thru the old timers committee.It is a shame,I thought for sure he would get in when he retired.:Peace:

StogieHog
12-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I am just hoping that Peter King helps us get Art Monk in first.

shally
12-26-2006, 06:04 PM

welcome...nice to have you at hR

king isn't going to do anything that doesn't benefit himself.. he is a troll

StogieHog
12-26-2006, 06:09 PM
welcome...nice to have you at hR

king isn't going to do anything that doesn't benefit himself.. he is a troll

Thanks. I am a newbie here. Just registered today.

I agree King is a troll but I read today that he is having second thoughts about Art Monk now.

It is a shame that the one consistent thing the Skins had in the 80's and through 4 SB's was "The Hogs". The offense line was there for everyone SB Championship with different QB's and RB's and yet none of them are getting into the HOF.

shally
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM

I agree King is a troll but I read today that he is having second thoughts about Art Monk now.

It is a shame that the one consistent thing the Skins had in the 80's and through 4 SB's was "The Hogs". The offense line was there for everyone SB Championship with different QB's and RB's and yet none of them are getting into the HOF.

we have kicked the king thing around here a lot (he is often referred to as "queen").. and most of us feel that 2 things are at work in his supposed change of heart on art monk.
1. he wants to get michael irvin in, and frankly, it would be an embarrassment to the hall if irvin gets in before a sterling character like monk. so they will go in with monk first and then irvin.

2. i think even he is getting some heat for his refusal to consider monk. he is looking foolish.

but what works against monk is that he just does not promote himself and he does not have ties to the media like irvin and some others.. i think this year is his best chance

CarMike
12-26-2006, 06:34 PM

Welcome to hR StogieHog. I like the screen name.

let us know if you need any help with anything. Looking forward to getting to know ya.

StogieHog
12-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Welcome to hR StogieHog. I like the screen name.

let us know if you need any help with anything. Looking forward to getting to know ya.

Thanks appreciate the welcome!

nicefellow31
12-26-2006, 07:05 PM
I'd add Dexter Manley to that list.

If you look at Dexter's numbers, if he would have stayed clean and sober he would have been an HOF without a doubt. I wish we had a player like him on the team now. In addition to his sacks, his run defense was not to shabby either.

shally
12-26-2006, 09:20 PM
If you look at Dexter's numbers, if he would have stayed clean and sober he would have been an HOF without a doubt. I wish we had a player like him on the team now. In addition to his sacks, his run defense was not to shabby either.

well all things being equal he is not much worse than irvin.. and a much more down to earth and humble person as well..

nicefellow31
12-26-2006, 10:14 PM
well all things being equal he is not much worse than irvin.. and a much more down to earth and humble person as well..

Agreed, but I Irvin didn't get a one year suspension followed by a lifetime suspension. I think and I'm not completely sure about this, that Irvin was only suspended for 4 games in the 97 season.

FanFromArizona
12-26-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't think quotas have a place in the hall. I would certainly be ashamed if there was even an unofficial "quota" policy.....

Players enter based on their credentials. That is why there are 32 voters, one for each sports team....it would very difficult to have such a conspiracy that is allowed to be perpetrated in such a fashion.

FanFromArizona
12-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Agreed, but I Irvin didn't get a one year suspension followed by a lifetime suspension. I think and I'm not completely sure about this, that Irvin was only suspended for 4 games in the 97 season.

The difference between Irving and Manley is the "when" part. For Manley it was while he was still playing in the NFL, and for Irvin, most of his "illegitimate" activities occurred when he was not in football.

It's unfortunate that there are no sanctions for illegal/illegitimate activities post-NFL. I mean, isn't that what Pete Rose is being punished for(giving MLB a blackeye with his gambling?) In the same sense, there should be some form of sanction that can be levied for retired HOF-eligible members, perhaps being ineligible for 5, then 10, then permament ineligibility?

SkinsfaninNJ
12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't think quotas have a place in the hall. I would certainly be ashamed if there was even an unofficial "quota" policy.....

Players enter based on their credentials. That is why there are 32 voters, one for each sports team....it would very difficult to have such a conspiracy that is allowed to be perpetrated in such a fashion.
I hear this talked about all the time on talk radio, particularly when a HOF voter (P. King for instance) is on. I also don't think its outlandish. For example should the 80's Redskins have more HOF's by numbers then the 70's Steelers or 60's Packers? Probably not. This has come up a lot in recent years when looking at the 70's Steelers WR's and comparing to the sheer number of HOF's from the early 70's Dolphins and 60's Packers.

Think about it, when names are being discussed its an easy way for a dissenter to make a point if he says "this guy would be the fifth 80's Redskins member giving them more members than 70's Steelers, is that just?" Before anyone jumps down my throat, I have no idea if the above numbers are true, but you get the point. I think this is discussed a lot among voters because its an easy measuring stick when you're talking about players from dynasty type teams.

FanFromArizona
12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
I hear this talked about all the time on talk radio, particularly when a HOF voter (P. King for instance) is on. I also don't think its outlandish. For example should the 80's Redskins have more HOF's by numbers then the 70's Steelers or 60's Packers? Probably not. This has come up a lot in recent years when looking at the 70's Steelers WR's and comparing to the sheer number of HOF's from the early 70's Dolphins and 60's Packers.

Think about it, when names are being discussed its an easy way for a dissenter to make a point if he says "this guy would be the fifth 80's Redskins member giving them more members than 70's Steelers, is that just?" Before anyone jumps down my throat, I have no idea if the above numbers are true, but you get the point. I think this is discussed a lot among voters because its an easy measuring stick when you're talking about players from dynasty type teams.

I can understand your point, but HoF players usually come from dominating teams(dominant players help their teams dominate). In a sense I believe it's one of the arguments being levied against Monk (he wasn't dominating enough on a team that was dominant).

I sincerely doubt that there is a "We can only have x number of <insert team here> in the Hall." Bias about greatnesses are the biggest obstacle prospectives have, not votes to support a certain quota level.

Spence
12-27-2006, 08:01 AM
[reminder to stick in picture of stupid owl here later]

I really would like to know the basis of this. Is is pro bowls? As I see it, Grimm and Green never lead the league in anything. Granted, Grimm gets a pass since they don't really track stats aside fron penalties for an OL, but you get my point. Set set both season and career records which are easily measurable against his contemporaries as well as those who came before.

For the record, I'm not saying you're not right, I just would like to know how you can be so sure that Green and Grimm have a better argument.I watched almost every single game each of those players played during the entirety of their careers. My eyes tell me that Russ Grimm was one of the five best offensive linemen of his era [he was a first-team selection to the 1980s all-decade team] and a more dominating player at his position than Monk was at wide receiver. The Redskins won a Super Bowl [17] without Monk, but they never won a Super Bowl without Russ Grimm. The offensive line was the engine of that offense and Russ Grimm was the best player on that offensive line. He was the best offensive player on the team until Jim Lachey arrived.

This is in no way a slight to Art Monk, who, in my mind, at least, clearly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Russ Grimm was simply one of the greatest offensive linemen of all time. He played most of his games at guard, but he also filled in at tackle and center when necessary. Basically, if it involved blocking another human being, Russ Grimm was better at it than almost anyone. He was a better offensive lineman than Monk was a wide receiver.

The case for Darrell Green, I believe, is self-evident.

Keino
12-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I watched almost every single game each of those players played during the entirety of their careers. My eyes tell me that Russ Grimm was one of the five best offensive linemen of his era [he was a first-team selection to the 1980s all-decade team] and a more dominating player at his position than Monk was at wide receiver. The Redskins won a Super Bowl [17] without Monk, but they never won a Super Bowl without Russ Grimm. The offensive line was the engine of that offense and Russ Grimm was the best player on that offensive line. He was the best offensive player on the team until Jim Lachey arrived.

This is in no way a slight to Art Monk, who, in my mind, at least, clearly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Russ Grimm was simply one of the greatest offensive linemen of all time. He played most of his games at guard, but he also filled in at tackle and center when necessary. Basically, if it involved blocking another human being, Russ Grimm was better at it than almost anyone. He was a better offensive lineman than Monk was a wide receiver.

The case for Darrell Green, I believe, is self-evident.

Precisely. It is more of a crime that Grimm isn't there than Monk (though that is criminal as well). In my mind he should've gotten in the same year Anthony Munoz got in.

CNYSkinFan
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
One of my friends at the bar was actually hoping Monk would not get in this year so he gets in next year with Green and Grimm and have an All Redskins love fest.

It would be nice to see but IMO Grimm and Monk are long overdue and should be in this year for their's and their family's sake. Plus I believe that with Peter King publicly switching his stance on Monk the time for Monk to get in is nigh. If he doesn't make it this year, he never will.

StogieHog
12-27-2006, 08:46 AM
I The Redskins won a Super Bowl [17] without Monk, but they never won a Super Bowl without Russ Grimm. The offensive line was the engine of that offense and Russ Grimm was the best player on that offensive line. He was the best offensive player on the team until Jim Lachey arrived.

The HOGs won superbowls with different QB's and RB's each time. The one thing that was consistent about those 3 superbowl championships were the HOGS.

garedskin
12-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Screw king.He is losing credibility amongst his pears over the Monk fiasco.
I have heard numerous commentators over the last 2 votes miffed that Monk did not make it.I think king and his small band of partners in crime are being looked at hard this year over the Monk issue.
king is feeling pressure not from us Redskin fans ,but from his peers in his own profession.
He really has no choice to vote for him this year......none,unless he really wants to lose his credability amongst his peers.That is something even he does not want to happen.:Peace:

CNYSkinFan
12-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Screw king.He is losing credibility amongst his pears over the Monk fiasco.
I have heard numerous commentators over the last 2 votes miffed that Monk did not make it.I think king and his small band of partners in crime are being looked at hard this year over the Monk issue.
king is feeling pressure not from us Redskin fans ,but from his peers in his own profession.
He really has no choice to vote for him this year......none,unless he really wants to lose his credability amongst his peers.That is something even he does not want to happen.:Peace:
While I wish this was true, I know in my heart it is not. King is flip flopping not because of pressure from his peers, or because of Redskin fans, nor is it because he claims to have changed his mind. Nope. He flip flopped to horsetrade for Irvin as many in the room made it very clear last year they will not vote for Irvin if Monk is not in as well.

It will be ironic and sad that when Monk gets in it will be with irvin on the stage. Monk was total class who excelled in his job but shunned the media so his career did not get as much attention as it deserved. Irvin was a crack head over-hyped, usually by himself, player who does not deserve the credit he will get.

BurgundyNGold
12-27-2006, 09:20 AM
While I wish this was true, I know in my heart it is not. King is flip flopping not because of pressure from his peers, or because of Redskin fans, nor is it because he claims to have changed his mind. Nope. He flip flopped to horsetrade for Irvin as many in the room made it very clear last year they will not vote for Irvin if Monk is not in as well.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner. ;)

openallnight
12-27-2006, 09:38 AM
The best comparison you can make is Dexter to Hall Of Fame inductee, Howie Long. Both came out in the same draft class, '81.
Dexter played 2 seasons less than Long, actually a total of 36 less games. Yet, Dexter had 14 more sacks than Long!
There is no official stat I've found but, Dexter must have caused 3 times as many lost yards with induced penalties on offensive lineman. And Dexter showed up big time in big games. He was responsible for (IMHO) the greatest play in Redskins history in the '82 NFC championship game with his tipped pass that resulted in the game clinching TD by Grant. The man was unmatched physically and played with a passion rivaled by few.

Keino
12-27-2006, 10:14 AM
The best comparison you can make is Dexter to Hall Of Fame inductee, Howie Long. Both came out in the same draft class, '81.
Dexter played 2 seasons less than Long, actually a total of 36 less games. Yet, Dexter had 14 more sacks than Long!
There is no official stat I've found but, Dexter must have caused 3 times as many lost yards with induced penalties on offensive lineman. And Dexter showed up big time in big games. He was responsible for (IMHO) the greatest play in Redskins history in the '82 NFC championship game with his tipped pass that resulted in the game clinching TD by Grant. The man was unmatched physically and played with a passion rivaled by few.

Thanks OAN. I hadn't realized that he was so statistically superior to Howie Long. How does he compare to Dan Hampton? Richard Dent should've been in the HOF before Hampton in my opinion.

openallnight
12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks OAN. I hadn't realized that he was so statistically superior to Howie Long. How does he compare to Dan Hampton? Richard Dent should've been in the HOF before Hampton in my opinion.
Hampton came into the league 2 years prior to Manley and finished at the same time. Hampton played 14 more games than Dexter and had a total of 57 sacks, 41 less than Manley. Although, it's not really a fair comparison since Hampton wasn't necessarily a sack specialist and played a large part of his career on the interior DLine.
Dent on the other hand played 4 more seasons, 60 more games than Manley and had 40 more sacks than Manley. Definately HOF #'s IMO.

redskin_rich
12-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Hampton came into the league 2 years prior to Manley and finished at the same time. Hampton played 14 more games than Dexter and had a total of 57 sacks, 41 less than Manley. Although, it's not really a fair comparison since Hampton wasn't necessarily a sack specialist and played a large part of his career on the interior DLine.
Dent on the other hand played 4 more seasons, 60 more games than Manley and had 40 more sacks than Manley. Definately HOF #'s IMO.
Dent goes in this year, along with Monk. :)

On a side note, does anybody know if Bruce Smith retired as a Redskin or did he do a sign and retire with the Bills? He will be coming up for HOF consideration in the following years and it wouldn't be right for him to go in as a Redskin.

CNYSkinFan
12-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Dent goes in this year, along with Monk. :)

On a side note, does anybody know if Bruce Smith retired as a Redskin or did he do a sign and retire with the Bills? He will be coming up for HOF consideration in the following years and it wouldn't be right for him to go in as a Redskin.
I believe he did a sign and retire but I am noit sure. You are right, I don't want him to go in as a Redskin.

Keino
12-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Actually Hampton was a DE. He played on the opposite side of Dent. McMichael and Perry were the interior lineman. He was a great player for sure, but I question him being in the HOF before Dent and a few others from that 85 Bears squad.

garedskin
12-28-2006, 12:17 PM

Manley has always been one of my favorite players.
I have always stated that I thought he desrved to get in because of what he did ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.
You know they let Lawrence Taylor in and he had his share of drug problems as well.Suspended for 4 games in 86 or 87(cannot remember which year) for cocaine use.
Hell TODAY they are considering naming Meariman the defensive MVP and he was suspended for steroid use DURING THE SEASON.Both are bad but Meariman was clearly trying to get an edge(cheating by all accounts) and some how his name is brought up as a finalist for defensive MVP.He will not get it.....Jason Taylor of Miami will and deservingly so he earned it on his own.
Man I just thought of how nice it would be to see a highlight video of Dexter making some of those sacks of his.He could take over a game at times. :Peace:

garedskin
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Actually Hampton was a DE. He played on the opposite side of Dent. McMichael and Perry were the interior lineman. He was a great player for sure, but I question him being in the HOF before Dent and a few others from that 85 Bears squad.

Richard Dent should have already been elected into the HOF.His sack totals are staggering.He was even picked as the Superbowl MVP the only time that great bears defence made it to the big show.:Peace: