PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Cuts Ties With Irvin

S.Taylor36
02-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I can only hope this is true.

Is ESPN on the verge of cutting ties with NFL analyst Michael Irvin?

One industry source believes the decision has already been made, and that some at the network view the outspoken Irvin as a ticking time bomb, ready to explode into a public-relations nightmare.

ESPN did not confirm or deny the report, but issued a statement, saying: "We are currently in the process of discussing studio assignments for next season."

There is speculation that newly retired Bill Parcells could end up at the network, but there is no indication that a deal is imminent.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02162007/sports/jd_singin_the_blues_as_garden_return_nears_sports_ pat_reichart.htm

CNYSkinFan
02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Would love to see it happen but I doubt it. if they wanted to get rd of him they would not have forgivinen him after his ....errr I mean his undisclosed friend's ....crack pipe was found in his car.

smoak
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Morons should have never let him on in the first place. The show went downhill fast from there.

SpicyMcHaggis
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
That's sad. He really gave insightful information in a calm and educated way on the NFL Countdown. I'll miss him.

GolfFreak
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Good riddance!!!

Ibleedburgundy
02-16-2007, 10:56 AM
That's sad. He really gave insightful information in a calm and educated way on the NFL Countdown. I'll miss him.

Don't let anyone tell you sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet. :lol1:

SkinsfaninNJ
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
That show has been a joke for years and is completely irrelevant now. I guess this would be a step toward salvaging the show, but it may be too late.

C-7
02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
TO just lost his last defender.

Farmer Ted
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Honestly, I'd rather that they keep Irvin than re-hire that useless re-tread Parcells. He's a blathering idiot. I hate the fact that everytime he quits a coaching job, he ends up with a cushy studio position for a year or two. The only reason he wants the studio job is so he can audition for the next coaching job. It's a vicious cycle. I hate that fat turd, and would just like him to retire and move to Arizona like everyone else. Besides, I get a kick out of watching Irvin humiliate the cowboys organization. It also ticks me off that espn basically kept Irvin on until he got in the HoF. I really think they just let him keep the job so that he could stump for his election. It's a bit hypocritical for them to cut him loose now because they think he's going to be a liability. He's always been a liability. Why get rid of him now?

SAKFurby
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I just hate seeing cowboys on TV. If they give him the boot Im not going to complain, hes an idiot anyway.

esmith1790
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I just hate seeing cowboys on TV. If they give him the boot Im not going to complain, hes an idiot anyway.

We have had so many of them. Might not be able to watch TV anymore.

Keino
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
They should never have replaced Sterling Sharpe with Irvin. I stopped watching their show largley because of this.

RedskinRyan
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
it would be about time for ESPN to jack him out.

ChiefPowhatan17
02-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Sterling Sharpe was really good, he had a likableness about him. Where with Irvin he takes sides on everything and is not neutral or objective about anything. He's just a bad analyst.

CarMike
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Yet, they [not ESPN] saw fit to put Irvin into THOF before Monk?!? Pricks.

VegasSkinsFan
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Michael Irvin is actually going to be speaking at the church I attend next weekend...Central Christian in Henderson,NV (suburb of Vegas). It will be interesting to hear. Our pastor is a huge Cowboys fan but I dont think he will pull any punches. The audio and video should be available probably around the 27th, he is speaking the 24th and 25th. I am not sure if I can post the website, but I will if someone lets me know if it is ok. GO SKINS !!!

Skinz4lyfe
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I love the little clip on YouTube where Tom Jackson looks at Michael Irvin and asks him, "Are you an idiot?" or something like that. It's freakin' hilarious!! That's about all I will miss.

Meatsnack
02-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Michael Irvin is to the studio analyst profession as Josef Mengel is to the medical profession.

That guy drove me off ESPN. What I have discovered since is that I didn't lose anything.

gibbsisgod
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Nfl CD is alright if parcells goes back, no marty .... Nfl primetime is the show people should pissed off about not countdown.

FanFromArizona
02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
it would be about time for ESPN to jack him out.

On queue:

"Michael Irvin, you got JACKED UP(and out)!" Laughing hysterically.

Man, I would do ANYTHING to not have ANY ex-Cowboys in the broadcast booth. Aikman, Moose, Irvin, the whole LOT of them: toss them to the curb.

akhhorus
02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
If this happens: what I'll miss most is Fent's impression of him. sigh, oh well lmao.

PyroGenic
02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I love the little clip on YouTube where Tom Jackson looks at Michael Irvin and asks him, "Are you an idiot?" or something like that. It's freakin' hilarious!! That's about all I will miss.

yeah, he asked him if he was retarded. it was great.

Axegrinder
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Not to worry,Irvin will spend his time shining his bust at the Hall Of Shame.

shally
02-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I can only hope this is true.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02162007/sports/jd_singin_the_blues_as_garden_return_nears_sports_ pat_reichart.htm

maybe the HOF should sever it's ties with irvin...???

oh wait, he belongs there more than monk.. on second thought, let them all wallow together.. swine !!!!

betterczechyourself
02-17-2007, 12:38 AM
That's too bad. I'm really gonna miss hearing about how every team needs to take a wide receiver with every pick...and how wide reveiver is the most important position in football...every 30 seconds. It usually goes something like this:

MI: "Well, you see, the Cincinnatti Bengals have some great wide receivers, but in football, you need more wide receivers to win football games. Wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver."

Berman: "The Bengals are certainly looking to fill some holes on the defensive side of the ball this year Their main needs are at..."

MI (at full volume): "Wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, win the football game, wide receiver."

Commissioner: "With the 18th pick in the NFL Draft, the cincinnatti Bengals select...Leon Hall, CB, Michigan"

Berman: "The Bengals selecting Hall with the 18th pick, certainly this should help their defense. What's your take John Clayton?"

MI: "You see, now. That's not a bad pick because you have to have someone who can cover the wide receiver. The wide receiver wins the football game. WIde receiver wide receiver. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go smoke crack and embarass the NFL before I get inducted into the hall of fame before someone that deserves it much more than I do."

SpicyMcHaggis
02-17-2007, 06:32 AM
That's too bad. I'm really gonna miss hearing about how every team needs to take a wide receiver with every pick...and how wide reveiver is the most important position in football...every 30 seconds. It usually goes something like this:

MI: "Well, you see, the Cincinnatti Bengals have some great wide receivers, but in football, you need more wide receivers to win football games. Wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver."

Berman: "The Bengals are certainly looking to fill some holes on the defensive side of the ball this year Their main needs are at..."

MI (at full volume): "Wide receiver, wide receiver, wide receiver, win the football game, wide receiver."

Commissioner: "With the 18th pick in the NFL Draft, the cincinnatti Bengals select...Leon Hall, CB, Michigan"

Berman: "The Bengals selecting Hall with the 18th pick, certainly this should help their defense. What's your take John Clayton?"

MI: "You see, now. That's not a bad pick because you have to have someone who can cover the wide receiver. The wide receiver wins the football game. WIde receiver wide receiver. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go smoke crack and embarass the NFL before I get inducted into the hall of fame before someone that deserves it much more than I do."
ROTFLMAO...

superskin
02-17-2007, 07:54 AM
I literally get a headache listening to him yell and scream his inaccurate points over everybody else. There were honestly two or three times last year that I screamed "Shut the ____ up!" and turned the channel in the midst of incoherent and overlapping banter between that entire crew.

csquared
02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
On queue:

"Michael Irvin, you got JACKED UP(and out)!" Laughing hysterically.

Man, I would do ANYTHING to not have ANY ex-Cowboys in the broadcast booth. Aikman, Moose, Irvin, the whole LOT of them: toss them to the curb.
Aikman and Moose i think are excellent broadcasters. I dont mind watching games they do at all.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
02-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Maybe they can replace him with Deion Sanders or some other snappy dresser. http://static.flickr.com/31/45113954_8a6db8417f_o.jpg

FanFromArizona
02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Aikman and Moose i think are excellent broadcasters. I dont mind watching games they do at all.

Yeck.

csquared
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeck.
They are announcers for crying out loud. Do you not like Shawn Springs because his dad was a Cowboy? Joe Gibbs racing is also worked very closely with Aikman and Staubachs nascar team last year. Do you not like Joe Gibbs for that?? :rolleyes:

shally
02-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Michael Irvin is actually going to be speaking at the church I attend next weekend...Central Christian in Henderson,NV (suburb of Vegas). It will be interesting to hear. Our pastor is a huge Cowboys fan but I dont think he will pull any punches. The audio and video should be available probably around the 27th, he is speaking the 24th and 25th. I am not sure if I can post the website, but I will if someone lets me know if it is ok. GO SKINS !!!

just curious what he would be speaking about ?

VegasSkinsFan
02-17-2007, 12:46 PM
just curious what he would be speaking about ?

Not sure Shally, but my guess would be that he has become a Christian and will talk about his life,mistakes and hopeful changes. I will give you an update next weekend. Go Skins !!!

shally
02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Not sure Shally, but my guess would be that he has become a Christian and will talk about his life,mistakes and hopeful changes. I will give you an update next weekend. Go Skins !!!

i mean no offense.. but did he become a Christian before or after his latest stumble ?

BurgundyNGold
02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
i mean no offense.. but did he become a Christian before or after his latest stumble ?
Exactly. After he's inducted into the ... don't be surprised to see him worshipping at the altar of the Church of the Controlled Substance and Convenient Ho again, lol.

betterczechyourself
02-17-2007, 01:14 PM

It pains me to say this, but you're right. Aikman is probably my favorite broadcaster. His insights are timely, concise, and accurate. He offers real insight into the strategy of the game, especially from the quarterbacking perspective.

That is the only time you will hear me say anything good regarding anyone from the cowboys organization, past or present.

rskinsfan10
02-17-2007, 10:53 PM
They have indeed let him go per SportsCenter.

RedskinRyan
02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
It pains me to say this, but you're right. Aikman is probably my favorite broadcaster. His insights are timely, concise, and accurate. He offers real insight into the strategy of the game, especially from the quarterbacking perspective.

That is the only time you will hear me say anything good regarding anyone from the cowboys organization, past or present.

some former players are hit or miss with announcing. aikman is a hit. brian baldinger is not.

shally
02-17-2007, 11:44 PM
They have indeed let him go per SportsCenter.

too bad it wasnt prior to the HOF voting... there had to be some kind of deal about that because this smells bad

schmitty199
02-18-2007, 03:22 PM
It's a good choice by ESPN. Irvin put them in hot water several times with his comments. He was clearly cowboys biased way to much as well.

I dont think Parcells would be a good analyst at all. But you know what would be hilarious? Him on NFL Live SB week talking about Wade Phillips chances of winning a SB in his 1st year with Dallas with the team Parcells spent 4 years building and just gave up on.

fent
02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
It's a good choice by ESPN. Irvin put them in hot water several times with his comments. He was clearly cowboys biased way to much as well.

I dont think Parcells would be a good analyst at all. But you know what would be hilarious? Him on NFL Live SB week talking about Wade Phillips chances of winning a SB in his 1st year with Dallas with the team Parcells spent 4 years building and just gave up on.

i wouldn't pin my hopes on Wade "0-3 in the playoffs" Phillips... ;)

akhhorus
02-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Oh thats just backstabbing Phillips right there. That makes me think that Parcells was pushed, rather than jumped.

schmitty199
02-18-2007, 03:30 PM
i wouldn't pin my hopes on Wade "0-3 in the playoffs" Phillips... ;)

Haha just saying if it happened it would be hilarious. No doubt Ditka would be takeing shots at Parcells about it all day long. With a ego the size of Parcell's it would crush him to see Phillips win the big one with the team that he built. If it didnt crush him he would definetly become short tempered and snappy on the subject.

Either way funny stuff. :lol1:

akhhorus
02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Haha just saying if it happened it would be hilarious. No doubt Ditka would be takeing shots at Parcells about it all day long. With a ego the size of Parcell's it would crush him to see Phillips win the big one with the team that he built. If it didnt crush him he would definetly become short tempered and snappy on the subject.

Either way funny stuff. :lol1:

I think Parcells won't be able to stop laughing on ESPN's pregame show if TO has the nuclear meltdown. Seriously, I think they'll have to cart him off to the funny farm because he'll he the Jack Nicholson joker smile and won't stop laughing at all. If Phillips does better than Parcells without major roster turnover, then Parcells will take credit for it...somehow.

shally
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I think Parcells won't be able to stop laughing on ESPN's pregame show if TO has the nuclear meltdown. Seriously, I think they'll have to cart him off to the funny farm because he'll he the Jack Nicholson joker smile and won't stop laughing at all. If Phillips does better than Parcells without major roster turnover, then Parcells will take credit for it...somehow.

well... parcells did buy the groceries...
:rolleyes:

schmitty199
02-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah no doubt Parcells will take credit for it but it would just kill him inside. I would wager he would get noticably short tempered and start snapping at Ditka.

shally
02-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah no doubt Parcells will take credit for it but it would just kill him inside. I would wager he would get noticably short tempered and start snapping at Ditka.

that would worth seeing

redskin_rich
02-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Actually, Parcells was a good analyst when he worked with Gibbs and Ditka on NBC, back in the '90s. He wasn't good when it came to matters involving him, though. Most notably was when he agreed to take the Tampa job, then left Culverhouse "standing at the altar." LOL, he sat there like a dope and never said a word, on live tv, while the other analysts talked about the whole debacle.

BurgundyNGold
02-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually, Parcells was a good analyst when he worked with Gibbs and Ditka on NBC, back in the '90s. He wasn't good when it came to matters involving him, though. Most notably was when he agreed to take the Tampa job, then left Culverhouse "standing at the altar." LOL, he sat there like a dope and never said a word, on live tv, while the other analysts talked about the whole debacle.
If Irvin is indeed gone, someone should rename this thread to "Ding Dong the Crackhead's Dead", lol.

shally
02-18-2007, 09:28 PM
If Irvin is indeed gone, someone should rename this thread to "Ding Dong the Crackhead's Dead", lol.

i still think it smells bad that they waited until after his election to the HOF before dumping him.

i bet if it had happened prior to the voting it might have swayed a few people who were on the fence

BurgundyNGold
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
i still think it smells bad that they waited until after his election to the HOF before dumping him.

i bet if it had happened prior to the voting it might have swayed a few people who were on the fence
Nah. Irvin was a shoe in. It's a popularity contest, not a measure of the deserved.

redskin_rich
02-18-2007, 09:38 PM

I agree. If ESPN had made this move prior to the final HOF voting, there is no doubt in my mind that the sheep would have followed.

coffdogg
02-18-2007, 10:06 PM
That would be the first good news of the off-season.The only thing after that is for that bum Deion to get sent packing off the NFL network.Both of them are self-righteous @sses.It will be little consolation ever since Art Monk got screwed out of the hall but I guess we have to have a silver lining somewhere.

WarEagle
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Irvin is a buffoon. I'm surprised ESPN kept him this long.

Unlike lots of you, I very much look forward to the Tuna as analyst. I've learned a lot about the game just watching his daily press conferences on line the past year. Give him a chance. I hope we revisit this topic in the Fall.

skinsfaninva
02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Could he have been hired just to get him into the HOF? I mean everyone from Troy, Emmitt, Irvin himself and the others on his show (not absolutely sure about this) was campaigning on their respective TV outlets that Irvin should get in. I don't think he was hired for his "skills" as an analyst. I mean they kept him after "his friend" left a crack pipe in his car not to mention his checkered past. Now less than a month after his election, they dump him. Smells fishy (this is not in reference to the Tuna)

chrisbcbu
02-19-2007, 06:18 AM
looks like its definately true! I cant believe it took them this long. They had an easy out with his whole crackpipe debacle, not sure why they didnt let him go then. But at least he is finally gone. Now when i watch the show i will know that someone will not be yelling at me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2769871
ESPN announced that Michael Irvin, who had been an NFL analyst for ESPN since 2003, is no longer with the network.

ESPN Communications Vice President Josh Krulewitz issued a statement, saying "We thank Michael for his contributions to ESPN and wish him well."

BurgundyNGold
02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
looks like its definately true! I cant believe it took them this long. They had an easy out with his whole crackpipe debacle, not sure why they didnt let him go then. But at least he is finally gone. Now when i watch the show i will know that someone will not be yelling at me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2769871
Time to change the title of this thread, I think.

X-Factor13
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Just read it on espn.com. No real article, the official statement from ESPN was "We thank Michael for his contributions and wish him well".

Thank God the guy can finally go home and hit his crack pipe whenever he so pleases!

hail2skins
02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Do you actually read this board? The reason I asked is because there is already a thread on this issue.

BurgundyNGold
02-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Do you actually read this board? The reason I asked is because there is already a thread on this issue.
I think this is why we might want to change the title of the thread. Right now, the thread is about the possibility, not the fact that is has happened. Common sense or no, if it's a done deal more folks are probably going to start a thread on it.

X-Factor13
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM

My bad! I just read the short article and posted it as I was leaving my house. What was the title of the other thread?

CNYSkinFan
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
To gain the HOF but to lose yourpaycheck.

This may actually be bad news as more then likely Irvin will land at CBS or Fox