PDA

View Full Version : M. Washington practicing with D-Line?

Curtisprc3
05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But, I noticed that Marcus Washington was at Left DE during this video on Redskins.com.http://redskins.com/news/multimedia.jsp

Not sure what this means, if it means anything. But it sure made me curious.

bergiemoore
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But, I noticed that Marcus Washington was at Left DE during this video on Redskins.com.http://redskins.com/news/multimedia.jsp

Gibbs did say that he wants to apply pressure with Washington, using him much in the way Lewis used LaVar. It makes sense to see him practicing some with the DEs.

shally
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM

i think that GW has always seen him as a natural pass rusher.. they were going to use him more in that capacity last year but due to multiple factors it never worked out that way

chrisbcbu
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM
about a week back there was an article that they wanted to use him as a pass rusher. So i assumed they would practice him there. But its good to see that they are actually doing it.

He was a DE in college so he does possess the skills to rush the passer.

shally
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
about a week back there was an article that they wanted to use him as a pass rusher. So i assumed they would practice him there. But its good to see that they are actually doing it.

He was a DE in college so he does possess the skills to rush the passer.

hopefully his hip is better. that will make a big difference

culpeper
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
the Dline drills, i would imagine, would be less physically demanding than the LB drills. since he is not fully cleared yet, hes probably just studying up on a position GW wants him to spend some time at while he is rehabbing. gotta make that time productive!!

skinfanjon
05-24-2007, 02:50 PM
i think that GW has always seen him as a natural pass rusher.. they were going to use him more in that capacity last year but due to multiple factors it never worked out that way

Based on his ability (or lack there of) to rush the passer off blitzes last year, he needs all the work he can get. Too many times I saw him blitz the outside or shoot the gap and get completely engulfed by the oline. That must be fixed if we are to improve our pass rush this year. It's bad enough when you can't get pressure with your front four, but when you blitz six and its a stalemate it becomes disasterous.

culpeper
05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Based on his ability (or lack there of) to rush the passer off blitzes last year, he needs all the work he can get. Too many times I saw him blitz the outside or shoot the gap and get completely engulfed by the oline. That must be fixed if we are to improve our pass rush this year. It's bad enough when you can't get pressure with your front four, but when you blitz six and its a stalemate it becomes disasterous.
yeah i think our DT inability to attract a double team definatly cut down on our effectiveness when blitzing. from all positions. MW is better than Lavar was at pass rushing though, he at least has some technique. and lavar had what... 11 sacks in 2003?

skinfanjon
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
yeah i think our DT inability to attract a double team definatly cut down on our effectiveness when blitzing. from all positions. MW is better than Lavar was at pass rushing though, he at least has some technique. and lavar had what... 11 sacks in 2003?

It would have been great if the DT's had taken up a double team and allowed MW to blitz unabated more frequently, but IMO he has to beat some of those one on one's. Part of it my have been due to injury but he must do better in that regard this season. He's supposed to be a Pro Bowl caliber player (or at least he better be if our defense is going to function adaquately) and he simply wasn't last season. I'm glad to see him working on all area's of his skills, I expect to see the 2004&2005 version of him next year.

culpeper
05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
It would have been great if the DT's had taken up a double team and allowed MW to blitz unabated more frequently, but IMO he has to beat some of those one on one's. Part of it my have been due to injury but he must do better in that regard this season. He's supposed to be a Pro Bowl caliber player (or at least he better be if our defense is going to function adaquately) and he simply wasn't last season. I'm glad to see him working on all area's of his skills, I expect to see the 2004&2005 version of him next year.
me too, as long as he doesnt have any setbacks, swelling, soreness,etc.

urobm
05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
hopefully his hip is better. that will make a big difference

His hip is a big concern to me, but I hope he is 100% when the season starts. He is a good pass rusher and is one of those defenders that should always be on the field. Just a solid player all around, the total pack against the run, pass, and exceptional leader.

LadyNRedskinsfan
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM
im just glad he is practicing at all, lol.

urobm
05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
im just glad he is practicing at all, lol.

I agree, he is a big part of this defense.

HAWGZHEAD
05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
im just glad he is practicing at all, lol.I'm just glad the d-line is practicing :D

Meatsnack
05-24-2007, 08:55 PM
*sigh* I can picture Diron Talbert and Dexter "The Prize Bull" Manley killing QBs so clearly in my head. How long must we wander in the desert before we find the next great Redskins DE?

PennSkinsFan
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah. I thoughty Gibbs and Williams both said that by bringing in Flecther and drafting Landry, that would free up the defense to use Washington more in pass rush situations. I personally like the move because Washington has had a knack for making plays on the QB.

Red Bear
05-24-2007, 09:04 PM
*sigh* I can picture Diron Talbert and Dexter "The Prize Bull" Manley killing QBs so clearly in my head. How long must we wander in the desert before we find the next great Redskins DE?

if carter can play all this season like the last 6-7 games of 2006 then we may have him. he was even playing the run well at the end of last year. while his label of not playing the run well may have stuck with him thru media types etc, i think his time at LB in SF may have helped him understand playing the run game better. we will see this season.

as far as washington practicing at DE, i assume it will be part of some packages this season. but if he is getting significant time there now, it may be because they dont want him to be too hard on his hip with the running LBs have to do compared to DEs

shally
05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah. I thoughty Gibbs and Williams both said that by bringing in Flecther and drafting Landry, that would free up the defense to use Washington more in pass rush situations. I personally like the move because Washington has had a knack for making plays on the QB.

a very good point.. fletcher is pretty good in coverage so we do not lose much if marcus blitzes

also, fletcher can blitz well also.. some nice options for GW... but it still keys off of the d line pass rush

urobm
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM

He sure does have a knack for getting to the quaterback. His first year he was a monster, and I didnt realize that he was that good of a pass rusher. I would like to see him used in that manner more this season.

shally
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
He sure does have a knack for getting to the quaterback. His first year he was a monster, and I didnt realize that he was that good of a pass rusher. I would like to see him used in that manner more this season.

it will come down to how well his hip is doing.. i think that may have really influenced his play last year.. if he is healthy he should be rolling this year..

urobm
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
a very good point.. fletcher is pretty good in coverage so we do not lose much if marcus blitzes

also, fletcher can blitz well also.. some nice options for GW... but it still keys off of the d line pass rush

Thats very important that Fletcher is a 3 down LB. He opens up allot of options. That pass rush is going to be the key. I think someone stated earlier, that Carter played very well down the stretch, not only against the pass but also against the run. Hopefully he can build on the last years strong push. An improved Carter and healthy Griff should make this line a little more effective.

shally
05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Thats very important that Fletcher is a 3 down LB. He opens up allot of options. That pass rush is going to be the key. I think someone stated earlier, that Carter played very well down the stretch, not only against the pass but also against the run. Hopefully he can build on the last years strong push. An improved Carter and healthy Griff should make this line a little more effective.

agree. fletcher makes plays all over the field and on all downs

i am really looking forward to seeing him play this year

bgforever
05-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm just glad the d-line is practicing :D
:lol1:
Amen to that! Well Washington's bound to be a lot tougher to block, once he resumes more time in the LB position. Having so many guys with versatility on defense, that is playing at least 2 positions, and in so many multilple schemes. A larger part of our roster, has players who've had at least two DIFFERENT defensive schemes, exclusively used in the NFL currently.

Whatever hurt us as a team on defense and particularly the DLine, Safety combo, has been shored up. Result - Safties- ST, LL, PP, Fox, Doughty with ALL having the ability to make plays at the line and at three with NFL level coverage expertise (ST, PP, LL).

On the DLine, Wynn's got a new career, as a depth player at DT, at least for a couple of years, at best, but its better to have it, than not to, I suppose.
Salave'a bound to come on strong and push Golston to a monsterous level, hopefully. Montgomery keeps Griffin working -(Love this), while the DE are getting all kinds of makeovers and challenges. Perfect!

jaylen
05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I have really liked what I've seen out of Marcus Washington rushing the passer he can get to the edge nicely and push some on the olineman inside. We stunted waay too much last season we killed carter and washington stunting so darn much. it was comical how easily our rush was contained because of the stunts.

If we can get Griffin to giving any push inside we could get alot more sacks this season.

Our young D lineman have to be more unselfish though they have to commit to tying up guys inside to allow our blitzers a chance to come clean at the qb, Gholston and Evans were being far too sack happy on their pressures when we blitzed.

bgforever
05-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I have really liked what I've seen out of Marcus Washington rushing the passer he can get to the edge nicely and push some on the olineman inside. We stunted waay too much last season we killed carter and washington stunting so darn much. it was comical how easily our rush was contained because of the stunts.

If we can get Griffin to giving any push inside we could get alot more sacks this season.

Our young D lineman have to be more unselfish though they have to commit to tying up guys inside to allow our blitzers a chance to come clean at the qb, Gholston and Evans were being far too sack happy on their pressures when we blitzed.

Good Obs! Note*** Look for Evans to improve on that "jumpy" move and with a bit more weight, fullfill the promise of replacing Daniels after mid-season. Younger legs, quciker moves and a bit more of an edge makes him a prime candidate to replace Daniels. It would be hard for Evans to do, with a younger Daniels, but not now. Daniels still got game, but Evans, I believe is ready to turn it on now.

urobm
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM

With those young guys, part of the problem might just be inexperience. We have seen what Griff can do when he is healthy. The problem is that he and Springs have been so injury prone. Well let me take that back Griff is not quite as bad as Springs when it comes to injuries, but he needs to be on the field. I stated in a previous post that with a healthy Griff and steady Carter, we will see a big difference in the line this year.

skinsfan36
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
good news hope his hip is 100% then he will create havoc on qbs

LATrueRedskin
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Pretty cool to see Marcus with his hand in the dirt and working out already. Also, if anybody plays Madden, switch Marcus to DE and see what happens. ;)

Red Bear
05-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Good Obs! Note*** Look for Evans to improve on that "jumpy" move and with a bit more weight, fullfill the promise of replacing Daniels after mid-season. Younger legs, quciker moves and a bit more of an edge makes him a prime candidate to replace Daniels. It would be hard for Evans to do, with a younger Daniels, but not now. Daniels still got game, but Evans, I believe is ready to turn it on now.

Evans dissappeared the entire second half of last season, just when i thought he was coming on as a situational pass rusher for us the past couple years...

Patrick
05-25-2007, 07:11 AM

When we get a head coach that believes the games are won in the trenches!

colkurtz
05-25-2007, 02:39 PM
This is a good option as long as his hip has healed. Still, this just seems to be another bandaide on the bigger problem of DLine pressure.

I'd still like to get some sort of decent pass-rushing DE FA on 1 June. however, the fact that they are using MW as a pass rusher suggests even the FO is pessimisitc about getting any real talent via FA.

:cry:

shally
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
This is a good option as long as his hip has healed. Still, this just seems to be another bandaide on the bigger problem of DLine pressure.

I'd still like to get some sort of decent pass-rushing DE FA on 1 June. however, the fact that they are using MW as a pass rusher suggests even the FO is pessimisitc about getting any real talent via FA.

most of the time you cant get one that way

even jared allen now signed his 1 year tender. so the pass rush is likely to come from players other than the DE's.. that is the most worrisome thing for me this off season still.

urobm
05-26-2007, 10:04 AM

June 1st is right around the corner. It might be slim pickings, but still good see who might be available.

shally
05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
June 1st is right around the corner. It might be slim pickings, but still good see who might be available.

i do not think we are going to solve the need with a vet who is cut june 1

either we trade for someone or one of the rookies steps up to fill the need.
guys like justin smith and jared allen are signing their tenders.

i doubt that someone like burgess is going to be set free june 1

urobm
05-26-2007, 10:16 AM
i do not think we are going to solve the need with a vet who is cut june 1

either we trade for someone or one of the rookies steps up to fill the need.
guys like justin smith and jared allen are signing their tenders.

i doubt that someone like burgess is going to be set free june 1

No we wont solve the the need, but I was looking more for a stop gap for 1 year or so. How do you think the DL would have looked if Cincy did let Justin Smith walk, and we signed him. I know it didnt happen, but I have always liked the guy.

skinsfan36
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
we probably will just have to hope we can develop a situational pass rusher becasue or LDES can stop the run

urobm
05-26-2007, 07:41 PM
we probably will just have to hope we can develop a situational pass rusher becasue or LDES can stop the run

That would help us, haey do I hear a Lavar chant? Just kidding!

skinsfan36
05-27-2007, 10:40 PM
That would help us, haey do I hear a Lavar chant? Just kidding!

lol i was waiting to hear his name get brought up

Death_Venom
05-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Lavar can kiss my rosy red, pasty pale hind end............

shally
05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
No we wont solve the the need, but I was looking more for a stop gap for 1 year or so. How do you think the DL would have looked if Cincy did let Justin Smith walk, and we signed him. I know it didnt happen, but I have always liked the guy.

smith or alex brown would be top of the heap

even that would be fine because we really lacked that presence last year

Lavar can kiss my rosy red, pasty pale hind end............

lavar aint coming back either.. not for anyone

urobm
05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
lol i was waiting to hear his name get brought up

come on skinsfan36 you knew it was coming.

Death_Venom
05-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Good riddance is all i can say............

ChiefPowhatan17
05-30-2007, 08:43 AM
As long as GW finds a way to get all of our best players on the field. I don't mind Washington rushing the pass on 3rd down.

theWarpath
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I think MW could be our secret weapon this year at DE. He played DE in college and he's comfortable putting his hand down. If LaVar managed 11 sacks rushing from the DE spot I could see MW having similar success.

meloveskinslongtime
05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
I think MW could be our secret weapon this year at DE. He played DE in college and he's comfortable putting his hand down. If LaVar managed 11 sacks rushing from the DE spot I could see MW having similar success.

true ...

this could be part of one of those new "packages" that GW talks about

S.Taylor36
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
true ...

this could be part of one of those new "packages" that GW talks about

My main concern is getting a healthy MW back. Coming off hip surgery is a serious deal and I don't expect MW to be as explosive as he was before. I think that was a big factor when we were looking into trading for Briggs.

meloveskinslongtime
06-01-2007, 08:11 AM
My main concern is getting a healthy MW back. Coming off hip surgery is a serious deal and I don't expect MW to be as explosive as he was before. I think that was a big factor when we were looking into trading for Briggs.

yea ... the good news is that if he does go down we have marshall to step in