PDA

View Full Version : democrates promised openness and transparency

remaxjon
06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/18/earmarks/index.html

The democrates promised a more open and honest congress but its the same thing as before.

Did your district report its earmarks?

RedskinsDave
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Anyone who thought business as usual would change is naive.

Spence
06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
This is an important issue. If we can't get rid of earmarks [and, to be honest, budgetary discipline does not depend on that since earmarks represent a small percentage of federal spending], public reporting of earmarks is the least we can expect. The compromise is better than what we had before, but nowhere near where we ought to be. Public reportage of earmarks is a real issue. Like I said, it's not as if earmarks are busting the budget, but I don't see any reason why legislators shouldn't be forced to acknowledge and defend their earmarks. Then the voting public can render its judgment on those earmarks. [I doubt it would result in much turnover, though, since the voting public typically loves federal spending in their own neighborhood and hate it everywhere else.]

I commend those legislators who publicly divulged their earmarks. Those that did not should do so without delay.

remaxjon
06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
not one district in MD or VA reported its earmarks.

shally
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM

The democrates promised a more open and honest congress but its the same thing as before.

which is why the latest polls (abc ?) show that the public holds the congress and dems in even LOWER regard than bush.. i didnt think that was even possible

lakewinola
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
which is why the latest polls (abc ?) show that the public holds the congress and dems in even LOWER regard than bush.. i didnt think that was even possible

I heard that they were close but that W was still lower, care to post a link to this poll?

Ibleedburgundy
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Meh, no matter what, people aren't going to approve of congress. Hell, most Americans have no idea what congress is working on at any given moment.

akhhorus
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Congress has always had low poll numbers, I can't recall it every being above 40%(even during the Tip O'Neill years when he had 100+ majorities and legislation just flew through) and its a poll about both parties in congress.

BurgundyNGold
06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Meh, no matter what, people aren't going to approve of congress. Hell, most Americans have no idea what congress is working on at any given moment.
That's because Congress doesn't have an idea of what it should be working on at any given moment. Assuming they're working at all. ;)

Spence
06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
which is why the latest polls (abc ?) show that the public holds the congress and dems in even LOWER regard than bush.. i didnt think that was even possibleActually, the polls indicate disapproval of Congress is mostly due to Republicans not liking someone else in charge and Democrats not liking that their party hasn't ended the Iraq War.

shally
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I heard that they were close but that W was still lower, care to post a link to this poll?

sorry it took me a moment to find the article

it was in the june 18 edition of washington times on line

www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070617-115222-5077r.htm

and even if you feel that the numbers are not accurate, i think it is hard to dispute that the dems in congress have wasted an opportunity to seize the upper hand and demonstrate leadership and are seen as no better than bush

shally
06-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, the polls indicate disapproval of Congress is mostly due to Republicans not liking someone else in charge and Democrats not liking that their party hasn't ended the Iraq War.

you might be correct.. but i think it is more basic than that.. it is that congress has descended into the same kind of political morass (no confidence vote of gonzales ?? why waste anyone's time with this stuff?)
that they were supposed to have gotten beyond.
add to it the usual pork projects and it is still business as usual.

shally
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
you might be correct.. but i think it is more basic than that.. it is that congress has descended into the same kind of political morass (no confidence vote of gonzales ?? why waste anyone's time with this stuff?)
that they were supposed to have gotten beyond.
add to it the usual pork projects and it is still business as usual.

and were they not elected with a mandate to end the war ? we have discussed it, so there is little reason for us to rehash it, but i think they has missed an opportunity

Ibleedburgundy
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
and even if you feel that the numbers are not accurate, i think it is hard to dispute that the dems in congress have wasted an opportunity to seize the upper hand and demonstrate leadership

Totally agree. Dems had big mouths as a minority, now it's time to lead and they are not putting their money where their mouth was.

and are seen as no better than bush

Whoa there! Let's not go crazy. :)

Spence
06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Kudos to Barack Obama, who has voluntarily released his funding requests [aka earmarks] for this year appropriations. [You can read the full list here.] (http://obama.senate.gov/press/070621-obama_announces_3/) He is also calling on all other presidential candidates who have made funding requests to do the same. They should. This is the openness and transparency you wanted, Remaxjon.

SkinsKY
06-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Democrates as in the brother of Socrates? Lesser known, but just as important to world history.

Spence
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
:lol3:
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the spelling.

SkinsKY
06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
:lol3:
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the spelling.

If you freeze Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when they go to get Socrates, the other is milling in the background.

Back on subject, I don't know why people would hide earmarks unless they have something to hide. Looking over Obama's list, I don't see anything I think is a waste of money. If anything it could only help by showing your constituents what're your doing on their behalf. Comments like Jim McCrery's only make me more suspicious about what he's doing.

Patrick
06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
not one district in MD or VA reported its earmarks.

Better check again - District: Maryland 06 Rep: Roscoe G. Bartlett (R)

Spence
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
If the Congressional Election were held today, 46% of American voters say they would currently vote for the Democrat in their district while 34% would pull the voting lever for a Republican. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found 6% favoring a third-party option while 14% are not sure. A month ago, the Democrats enjoyed a seven-point advantage, 45% to 38%. Two months ago, it was the Democrats by eleven.

Support for the Democrats has remained very steady, ranging from 45% to 47% in each of the past four months. Over the same four months, support for Republicans has ranged from 34% to 38%. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, Democrats are currently favored 41% to 18%.

Thirty-three percent (33%) of voters see most Democrats in Congress as politically liberal. Thatís down eight points from a month ago. Forty-five percent (45%) say most Democrats in Congress are moderates. Thatís a shift to the right over the past month and puts the Democrats back to where they were at the end of 2006.Source (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/congressional_ballot)