PDA

View Full Version : Sicko

remaxjon
06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I watched Sicko tonight and all though I am opposed to the government running our health care the movie was great and points out a lot of the problems with the health care system today. Moore does a great job and pulls at the heart strings a lot. My feelings are that the health care system is so messed up right now because the government got involved in the first place.

The only thing in the movie that I thought was very misleading was that Moore references our infant mortality rate on several occasions and makes sure to note it is much lower than countries with government run health care. He fails to mention this is because we are able to carry far more mothers to term who have serious at risk pregnancies. Also he mentions life expectancy rates a lot but I think the main reason for this is that we eat too much crap.

Well anyway those are my thoughts about the movie. I would recommend that everyone should see it.

BurgundyNGold
06-30-2007, 02:15 AM
I watched Sicko tonight and all though I am opposed to the government running our health care the movie was great and points out a lot of the problems with the health care system today. Moore does a great job and pulls at the heart strings a lot. My feelings are that the health care system is so messed up right now because the government got involved in the first place.

The only thing in the movie that I thought was very misleading was that Moore references our infant mortality rate on several occasions and makes sure to note it is much lower than countries with government run health care. He fails to mention this is because we are able to carry far more mothers to term who have serious at risk pregnancies. Also he mentions life expectancy rates a lot but I think the main reason for this is that we eat too much crap.

Well anyway those are my thoughts about the movie. I would recommend that everyone should see it.
Moore has toned down his act apparently for this latest film. I hope that applies to his hyperbole as well. In any case, I respect what he is trying to do. There are things wrong with health care in the US. He's pointing that out and "tugging at heart strings" to affect change. If he's truthful in his message then I wish him well.

shally
06-30-2007, 09:25 AM

again, infant mortality is a complex issue and i believe it is more related to poverty and neglect that to health care delivery

plus, we have far more poverty that the scandinavian nations so it is grossly unfair to compare our rates to them

shally
06-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Moore has toned down his act apparently for this latest film. I hope that applies to his hyperbole as well. In any case, I respect what he is trying to do. There are things wrong with health care in the US. He's pointing that out and "tugging at heart strings" to affect change. If he's truthful in his message then I wish him well.

i have not yet seen the movie, so i temper my remarks.. but from all i have read by critics, he has an agenda and wants european style health care.. why would he present a movie that does not support his goal ?

dukeuch
07-01-2007, 06:59 AM
i have not yet seen the movie, so i temper my remarks.. but from all i have read by critics, he has an agenda and wants european style health care.. why would he present a movie that does not support his goal ?

He wouldn't, so what? Why would anyone present an arguement counter to their beliefs?

Two points:

1) Could his agenda be to present an accurate description of the problem?

2) Could his presentation accurately portray the problem?

If both are at least possible, than so what that he has an agenda? Perhaps his agenda is in response to correct the problems and his proposed solution is a certain style health care system.

BurgundyNGold
07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
He wouldn't, so what? Why would anyone present an arguement counter to their beliefs?

Two points:

1) Could his agenda be to present an accurate description of the problem?

2) Could his presentation accurately portray the problem?

If both are at least possible, than so what that he has an agenda? Perhaps his agenda is in response to correct the problems and his proposed solution is a certain style health care system.
Just because something is possible doesn't make it the case or even probably. How something is presented is more important that what is actually presented when influencing opinion. Let us not forget that 70% of what people react to is to how you look; 20% is about how you sound; and only 10% is what you say. So, by my calculations, Moore is 90% screwed before people even process what's coming out of his mouth, lol.

dj_stouty
07-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I think Moore is a turd, but I believe he is a good film maker. The guy certainly gets his point across, even if I believe he doesn't have any motive or desire to show any other point of view (or facts) that disagrees with his.

That being said...I'm sure Sicko will make our healthcare system look like crap. However, I'm fairly certain Moore is so good at movie making, that if he wanted to, he could create an entirely different movie that actually glorified the healthcare system.

...and since I know I'm only getting one side of the problem, I'll refrain from watching.

RedskinsDave
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Michael Moore wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in his fat rump. What he makes are mockumentaries. He's hardly more than a crazy on the street corner with a sandwich board declaring the end of the world.

Patrick
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I personally don’t care for the guy from most aspects BUT keep in mind that this guy first priority is making money for himself. Knowing he’s not going to produce any academy award winning films the next best thing for him is to produce very controversial films that gain him popularity (and make him some money). He seems to thrive off it IMO and does well at it. ………… But like I said – don’t care for him.
THAT being said – The Health Care System needs some serious attention AND most American don’t need Mike Moore to tell them that.
Common sense tells us that!!!!!!!

BurgundyNGold
07-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I personally don’t care for the guy from most aspects BUT keep in mind that this guy first priority is making money for himself. Knowing he’s not going to produce any academy award winning films the next best thing for him is to produce very controversial films that gain him popularity (and make him some money). He seems to thrive off it IMO and does well at it. ………… But like I said – don’t care for him.
THAT being said – The Health Care System needs some serious attention AND most American don’t need Mike Moore to tell them that.
Common sense tells us that!!!!!!!
I think Moore has won an academy award. That crowd loves him. He's the cat's meow.

dj_stouty
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
BTW - onlinecinema.org is showing the movie for free on their website.

GreenspanDan
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
can't wait to see this. i've heard good things.

it also seems people who haven't seen his movies are harder on him than those who have.