PDA

View Full Version : I-35W bridge in Minnesota collapses

Santheb
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1338294.html

Holy crap, I hope everyone is okay.

LadyNRedskinsfan
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
:(i was just about to post this. im watching the coverage of it on CNN right now and the devastation is crazy. they say at least 3 people have died, but a police officer says he saw 7 dead bodies.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/art.lacroix.irpt.jpg

WackyJacky
08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Holy cow, I just saw this on CNN. How scary! They're saying 3 dead, but I'm sure that number will rise. What could cause a major bridge to collapse all of the sudden?

shally
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
since it was unlikely to be an earthquake (the way they usually happen out west).. my guess would be some kind of soil failure or erosion

Dept_of_Defense
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
That's crazy. I watched The Mothman Prophecies the other day and after I saw the bridge collapse @ the end of the movie, I've been nervous getting on any bridge. Now I'm really going to be nervous.

WarEagle
08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
That's crazy. I watched The Mothman Prophecies the other day and after I saw the bridge collapse @ the end of the movie, I've been nervous getting on any bridge. Now I'm really going to be nervous.

I'm a big fan of that movie, and immediately thought about it tonight.

The Twins are playing tonight and it is suspected that many fans were on the bridge headed for the game. When the news helicopters do a wide shot, you can really appreciate just how big that bridge was.

redskin_rich
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
since it was unlikely to be an earthquake (the way they usually happen out west).. my guess would be some kind of soil failure or erosion

They said the bridge was last inspected in 2003. I don't know that much erosion can happen in 4 years, also it looks like the collapse started right in the middle, since each end over land is still somewhat intact. My guess is something happened with the pillars down in the middle of the river bed. Probably something that was not done right back when it was built and 40 years later, it finally malfunctioned.

WarEagle
08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
For added perspective, here are three old photos of the bridge.

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/bridges/pages/ms16.html

redskin_rich
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
For added perspective, here are three old photos of the bridge.

http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/bridges/pages/ms16.html

That one picture shows how close the train runs to those pillars. There was a train under the bridge when it collapsed. I wonder...

WarEagle
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
That one picture shows how close the train runs to those pillars. There was a train under the bridge when it collapsed. I wonder...

I saw the same footage of that crushed train. Got me thinking, too, but it seems so unlikely. I'm sure we'll hear from lots of engineers over the next few days.

redskin_rich
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I saw the same footage of that crushed train. Got me thinking, too, but it seems so unlikely. I'm sure we'll hear from lots of engineers over the next few days.
My first theory about pillars in the river bed is shot, as there are no pillars in the river. So, now I'm going with the theory that the train had something to do with it. It doesn't have to be a derailment, which would be obvious if so. Just the constant jarring of a train going by can weaken bolts, concrete and steel. Anybody who has ever stood next to a train going by (and I have) knows the earthshaking vibration they cause.

shally
08-01-2007, 11:55 PM
They said the bridge was last inspected in 2003. I don't know that much erosion can happen in 4 years, also it looks like the collapse started right in the middle, since each end over land is still somewhat intact. My guess is something happened with the pillars down in the middle of the river bed. Probably something that was not done right back when it was built and 40 years later, it finally malfunctioned.

if it happened in louisiana you would know that someone's nephew got a no bid contract...

Biggie
08-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Wow, that is insane. I'm waiting to hear what the cause was as well.

SpicyMcHaggis
08-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Just saw this on the news this morning when I woke up. Wow...what a disaster...they are reporting 7 dead but many might still be in the river...
Damn..that is tragic.

Patrick
08-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Very scary for us - my wife's family is all out there. Haven't hear anything from them but I wouldn't think that's an area they would be in during that time of day. Very tragic - AND those kids on the school bus ?? Never heard if they were all alright.

Minnesota Mike
08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I was crossing the Mississippi River from St. Paul to Minneapolis last night about the same time this happened. I was on a bridge a couple of miles south of the I-35W.

I have been on the bridge that collapsed, but it was not a common thing for me (or my wife who works in Minneapolis).

The lawyer for the construction company that was doing some repair work to the bridge was on local radio last night telling whoever would listen that it wasn't the construction company's fault. They weren't doing anything structural, just repairing the deck. It seemed a bit out of place to me to be doing that so soon.

Minnesota Mike
08-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Very scary for us - my wife's family is all out there. Haven't hear anything from them but I wouldn't think that's an area they would be in during that time of day. Very tragic - AND those kids on the school bus ?? Never heard if they were all alright.

The kids on the bus all got off okay, according to several reports I've heard.

CarMike
08-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Mike, thanks for "checking" in with us! You were the first person I thought about when I saw this on TV. Glad you're alright! :)

AGibbsGirl
08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I was crossing the Mississippi River from St. Paul to Minneapolis last night about the same time this happened. I was on a bridge a couple of miles south of the I-35W.

I have been on the bridge that collapsed, but it was not a common thing for me (or my wife who works in Minneapolis).

Geeze Mike I thought of you and your family first thing last eve, glad that you checked in pal!

I, of course, thought it was a terrorist act at first, but then they said that the bridge had been cited for deficiencies back in 2005

Minnesota Mike
08-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Geeze Mike I thought of you and your family first thing last eve, glad that you checked in pal!

I, of course, thought it was a terrorist act at first, but then they said that the bridge had been cited for deficiencies back in 2005

It probably wasn't, but they were awfully fast in ruling that out. Literally before the dust had settled they were telling people that it wasn't.

AGibbsGirl
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
It probably wasn't, but they were awfully fast in ruling that out. Literally before the dust had settled they were telling people that it wasn't.

That's what I was thinking, probably so as not to start a panic