PDA

View Full Version : Is the time for Saunders' Offense now?

DoGood
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Last year, I was one of the many that incorrectly predicted that Al Saunders' offense would instantly be tops in the league. Now while they were far from dreadful and the defensive collapse should certainly be taken into consideration, I did not see the kind of improvement that I was expecting.

Some of those that were a little more conservative and correct in their predictions believed that installing a whole new offense and one as complicated as Saunders' was not a task to be taken lightly.

Well, the fact that we are one year into the Saunders experiment is being grossly overlooked by both the media and the fans. To those that thought it would some take time to implement this O, is this the year that we see some return on our investment?

MONK_in_HOF
08-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I hope so. I also thought Saunders O would have a greater immediate impact. This year I am expecting them to take the next step as Saunders offenses historically have in year 2. We have basically the same lineup of players on O, who all have 1 year of the system under their belt, so I am expecting improvement.

Not only that but I think Campbell will take more shots down the field, which should stretch the field and make defenses play honest, instead of the whole D being within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

However I think this unit only improves if the OL, Campbell, and Moss stay healthy.

DoGood
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I hope so. I also thought Saunders O would have a greater immediate impact. This year I am expecting them to take the next step as Saunders offenses historically have in year 2. We have basically the same lineup of players on O, who all have 1 year of the system under their belt, so I am expecting improvement.

Not only that but I think Campbell will take more shots down the field, which should stretch the field and make defenses play honest, instead of the whole D being within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

However I think this unit only improves if the OL, Campbell, and Moss stay healthy.

There is certainly a lot going on here that could make or break our offense. I was actually having trouble articulating what I wanted to say in my OP. But perhaps it is best to let it play out in the thread.

But I would like to address the fact that we had very little turnover on specifically the offensive side of the ball, with the only exception being the very important loss of our OG.

But other than the loss of Dock, we are largely intact on offense. The combined comfort level between our players and the experience of one year in the Saunders offense should definitely provide noticeable changes in the way that we operate.

I'm not even going to touch the issue of changing Brunell for Campbell. I'll leave that up to you guys.:)

dj_stouty
08-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Saunders did something last season that GW refused to do; evolve his system mid-season to benefit the talent on the field. As soon as Portis went down, Al created a revised run-blocking system that was tailored for the offensive line as well as the RB corp. What did it reap for the offense? It allowed our starting RB to average 128 yards of rushing a game over the last 6 weeks. A few clicks of the calculator tells us that is the type of production you get from a 2,000-yard RB over the course of a season.

Now, assuming Al leaves that area alone, I think Portis will be able to thrive and shine like he did in Denver and as a Redskin in '05...and defenses won't know what to do when a fresh Ladell Betts comes in to relieve him every quarter. Assuming the running game picks up were it left off last season, I look for good things to come. However, if Al gets too complicated as he was in weeks 1-10 last season, then I could see them struggle.

Only time will tell...

firehawk157
08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Saunders did something last season that GW refused to do; evolve his system mid-season to benefit the talent on the field. As soon as Portis went down, Al created a revised run-blocking system that was tailored for the offensive line as well as the RB corp. What did it reap for the offense? It allowed our starting RB to average 128 yards of rushing a game over the last 6 weeks. A few clicks of the calculator tells us that is the type of production you get from a 2,000-yard RB over the course of a season.

Now, assuming Al leaves that area alone, I think Portis will be able to thrive and shine like he did in Denver and as a Redskin in '05...and defenses won't know what to do when a fresh Ladell Betts comes in to relieve him every quarter. Assuming the running game picks up were it left off last season, I look for good things to come. However, if Al gets too complicated as he was in weeks 1-10 last season, then I could see them struggle.

Only time will tell...
Agree whole-heartedly with the last statement. I think earlier, Saunders tried to outthink himself. He would do the unexpected purely because they were unexpected. Here's a hint, maybe the other team expects it because it works most of the time. Like a QB sneak on 3rd and inches. Sure, we all expect it, but it works more often then not.

Hr fan
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Last year, I was one of the many that incorrectly predicted that Al Saunders' offense would instantly be tops in the league. Now while they were far from dreadful and the defensive collapse should certainly be taken into consideration, I did not see the kind of improvement that I was expecting.

Some of those that were a little more conservative and correct in their predictions believed that installing a whole new offense and one as complicated as Saunders' was not a task to be taken lightly.

Well, the fact that we are one year into the Saunders experiment is being grossly overlooked by both the media and the fans. To those that thought it would some take time to implement this O, is this the year that we see some return on our investment?

Yes, or ditch it. His O always shows up in yr 2. If it doesn't here the players will have shown they will not adopt it as their own.

lakewinola
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
If this is not the year, get ready for a 6-10 season.

BurgundyNGold
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM

However I think this unit only improves if the OL, Campbell, and Moss stay healthy.Good to see you, DoGood. And I agree with your assessment.

AustinSkins
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
It's been a long time since I have posted on this forum.

I think Jason Campbell is the key to making Saunders system work. Brunell just doesn't have the legs any more.

DoGood
08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Good to see you, DoGood. And I agree with your assessment.

Well, 'Tis the season.;)

Can't wait to get back into the swing of things with you guys.

Hrabanmaur
08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure that's accurate. I could've sworn I've seen a couple of comments in the media about how Saunders system traditionally does mediocre in the first year and then blossoms in the second year. Sorry to say, that I'm too lazy to look up the evidence to support my assertion. Anyone else think this rings a bell?

The Skinsinator
08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
After watching the way it began last season we deserve the authentic offense now. Campbell and co. have a good year under their belt with the complexity of it and it's time to let it shine. His offense was highly unique and effective in Kansas City. If Dockery is sufficiently replaced and Campbell is the apparent star we've been hearing about this offense should be a sight to behold.

DoGood
08-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure that's accurate. I could've sworn I've seen a couple of comments in the media about how Saunders system traditionally does mediocre in the first year and then blossoms in the second year. Sorry to say, that I'm too lazy to look up the evidence to support my assertion. Anyone else think this rings a bell?

While it is certainly a matter of opinion, I think the development of Campbell and the revival of the defense have overshadowed this story.

Brit'Skin
08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
The Saunders offence seems to come good in year 2 so lets hope that trend continues.
JC has the ability and the supporting cast to get it done. All Saunders needs to do is let them go out there and make some plays.

Sweepea436
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
While it would be nice to see this O explode....... I'm really more concerned/interested in the D. Unless he can make our O good enough to force teams to score 40 to beat us.......

HAWGZHEAD
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
While it would be nice to see this O explode....... I'm really more concerned/interested in the D. Unless he can make our O good enough to force teams to score 40 to beat us.......
Well, that is his bag baby lol.

LATrueRedskin
08-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Only time will tell...

Spot on. And I'm sure Coach Gibbs gave him a "gentle nudge" towards the offensive revision last year. If Saunders keeps at the running scheme, we'll be in every game this season. Our offense was looking mighty fine towards the end of the year (ranked 4th over a 7-game span I believe ), and I suspect we'll only get better as the players understand more and commit more to memory. IMO, the offense isn't the unit in question for me.

Hrabanmaur
08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I think a bit of Saunders excitement and infatuation may have worn off a little, which is a good thing. After being with the Cheifs and their below average WRs, why else would he execute so many WR screens and WR run arounds? Because he was just so enthusiastic about the athleticism Moss and Randle El. Once he got over that, he started to get down to better football. I think he'll have a much better perspective this season - like getting Randle El to actually catch passes past the line of scrimmage rather than catch, run, or throw from behind it.