PDA

View Full Version : Portis NOT experiencing knee tendinitis again

hogs86
10-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I got this from rotoworld. Man this could be a long season. Portis experiencing knee tendinitis again.

Link http://www.rotoworld.com

dj_stouty
10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I really don't see this as news. They talk about Portis missing training camp...and then mention that he didn't practice on Monday. (Did anyone really practice on Monday?) Seems as if they are making a big leap on this...

NCskinsfanatic
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah i caught that on redskins.com tv...just super huh?

NCskinsfanatic
10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I really don't see this as news. They talk about Portis missing training camp...and then mention that he didn't practice on Monday. (Did anyone really practice on Monday?) Seems as if they are making a big leap on this...

Gibbs mentioned that he didnt practice todaay and that he agrravated the knee after the giants game.

Slobberknocker
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Good thing he and Betts are interchangeable.

Biggie
10-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Fantastic. Just fantastic.

I'm really wishing we had that Giants game in the win column now. We might need it later.

BandWagon
10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Let's sign Ricky Williams! :)

WarEagle
10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I got this from rotoworld. Man this could be a long season. Portis experiencing knee tendinitis again.

I hope he does a light workout this week to help rest it. I wonder if cold weather aggravates knee tendinitis. We're right around the corner from chilly temps.

whitskins
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I think he'll play, I'm a lot more worried about Moss.

Hr fan
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Let's sign Ricky Williams! :)

He's under contract with Miami. Now we see why Portis wasn't in the game and why Mason is on the team. Doesn't look good.

Slobberknocker
10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
He's under contract with Miami. Now we see why Portis wasn't in the game and why Mason is on the team. Doesn't look good.

Mason is only on the practice squad. If he gets elevated to the roster, then I'll worry about Portis.

greatest2
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
portis will play, how healthy will he be, probably 85 percent the entire year (granted no other injuries come up). I had the same type of tendinitis during my basketball season. I bothers you alot, and hurts a little bit, but it shouldn't hamper his speed, cuts, stops, or anything. As long as he can manage the pain he will be ok, and as we all know, portis is a gamer.

I am extremely concerned with moss. He has a history of hamstring and groin problems, and i don't see him playing this week even if it is fully healthy as a precaution for the rest of the season. but i do see him playing the following week.

griffin is also injured, and i believe he tore something, so thats something to keep an eye on even though they didn't report that he missed practice

LATrueRedskin
10-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I think he'll play, I'm a lot more worried about Moss.

Me, too. He has groin/hamstring problems every year. Having Moss go down for any significant period of time will leave us severely depleted on offense.

RedskinRyan
10-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Me, too. He has groin/hamstring problems every year. Having Moss go down for any significant period of time will leave us severely depleted on offense.

antwan randle el has been the guy so far this year. moss has made his plays, but im beginning to wonder if his 2005 form was a fluke.

LATrueRedskin
10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
antwan randle el has been the guy so far this year. moss has made his plays, but im beginning to wonder if his 2005 form was a fluke.

Doubtful. Moss has made probably as many plays as Randle El has.

shally
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM

not entirely unexpected.. still, this is not what the team needs right now

jaylen
10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Man we're in a rough spot now, If Portis can't go. betts ran well behind our A+ line last season. This season we only have strength on the left side running. betts is surely struggling because the holes aren't there and he doesn't have great vision to begin with. We need Portis this game more than ever. Without him I don't see how we can get this win. He has the great vision needed in tight holes and the explosiveness to make something out of nothing.

And if Moss can't go we can't rely on a passing game to fall back on.

JC is gonna have to really use his legs this week if Portis can't go scrambling and staying alive trying to find someone open. The Lions surely won't fear anyone aside from Cooley with Portis and Moss out.

skinsfan36
10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
if poris cant go maybe we will open up the offense with betts since you know that doesnt make any sense since portis and turn the corner. but im comfortable with betts we need to score points sunday boys and theres no doubt about it.

joethefan
10-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Gibbs mentioned that he didnt practice todaay and that he agrravated the knee after the giants game.

after the gian't game? Huh? or was it during the Giants game....did that explain his inablilty to get on the field after the spiked ball on the 2 or was it when Gbbs announced they were getting a week off and he leaped down the press conference stairs in ashburn...?

whistleandthumb
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Portis said during the preseason that if he had to play with the tendinitis, he could, so let's hope they can get that under control this week, and he can get on the field. I'm confident in Betts after what I saw last year, but I'm not as confident in this OL, which was a LARGE reason Betts had the success he did.

smave
10-02-2007, 07:41 AM
sigh... this tendinitus thing is getting old :bangdesk:

GWBlitzST
10-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Give Betts all the carries and let him get into a rhythm. Spell him with Sellers a few plays, and stay away from Sean Rogers and we'll be fine.

smave
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Give Betts all the carries and let him get into a rhythm. Spell him with Sellers a few plays, and stay away from Sean Rogers and we'll be fine.

And Cartwright!!

YAY!!!

SkinsfaninNJ
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I am also more worried about Moss than Portis, but this Portis thing worries me too. I hate these nagging injuries.

shally
10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
And Cartwright!!

YAY!!!

not inspiring confidence, you know...lol

smave
10-02-2007, 09:15 AM
not inspiring confidence, you know...lol

oh hush Shally :)

Cartwright is so explosive in the backfield when he gets the ball. i just want the Skins to GIVE THE LITTLE GUY A CHANCE!!!

Skins57
10-02-2007, 09:42 AM
glad I drafted Betts along with Portis in my fantasy league

firehawk157
10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Portis said during the preseason that if he had to play with the tendinitis, he could, so let's hope they can get that under control this week, and he can get on the field. I'm confident in Betts after what I saw last year, but I'm not as confident in this OL, which was a LARGE reason Betts had the success he did.
Exactly... Didn't Portis say during training camp that if it was the season, he'd play??? And he's had almost 2 weeks of rest... He'll play IMO, but reiterating the growing concern over Moss, this is bad.

dj_stouty
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
glad I drafted Betts along with Portis in my fantasy league

Yeah...that should have been a no-brainer for any Portis owner.

SkinsfaninNJ
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I had a chance to read JLC's blog (link below), and at this point, the way Redskins Park discloses injuries, I would say at best we are looking at a very diminished Portis and Moss this Sunday, and maybe one or both sitting.

Now I love both of these guys and what they have contributed, but we have a real problem here. Each year, we are relying on key guys who can't make the dance each week. I know every team has injuries, and this is early to be talking about this, but I don't think we can go into next year with these two guys being our two best skill position players.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

hessy36
10-02-2007, 11:56 AM

SHOOT ME NOW!!! :bangdesk:

Dolla Bill
10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I think we'll be seeing more Lloyd, Caldwell, and McCardell this weekend. Maybe not McCardell, but definitely the other two. I also would expect that Campbell would be throwing more in this game than in the past 3. This is where the passing game, sets up the running game. Not the other way around this season.

frankez99
10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
sigh... this tendinitus thing is getting old :bangdesk:

Yeah it is...but not as old as his penchant for oxygen on the sidelines after a 10 yard scamper.

Hopefully he is o.k. though.

redskin_rich
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
The latest news on Portis is that it's not tendinitis but a bruise and a mild knee sprain suffered in the 1st quarter of the Giants game. I guess this is a little relief, if Tyer is telling the truth.

firehawk157
10-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds like we'll have him in the game and honestly, I don't think it'll end up affecting him at all. Moss sounds iffy...

jaylen
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Why does this not sound encouraging. A small tear in the knee now interesting. I got this feeling that neither Portis or Moss will be playing Sunday just a hunch. With how they feel about Betts they're gonna probably use him more often anyway and then it becomes is it worth it to have Portis in a limited role when he can just sit and get healthier.

I hope thats not the case because with the O line now we need Portis more than we need Betts.

greatest2
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
grade 1 sprain. Minor, he be fine on sunday, no worriers.

Moss will not play. He has had this type of injury, groin or hamstring, almost every year. He will sit this out to make sure he is 100 percent before entering this long grind that is the rest of the season. this hurts our offense tremendously for ONE game, but i rather have it for one game then him play at 75 percent, and possibly missing more games when it gets worse.

shally
10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Why does this not sound encouraging. A small tear in the knee now interesting. I got this feeling that neither Portis or Moss will be playing Sunday just a hunch. With how they feel about Betts they're gonna probably use him more often anyway and then it becomes is it worth it to have Portis in a limited role when he can just sit and get healthier.

I hope thats not the case because with the O line now we need Portis more than we need Betts.

sitting him is not likely to make much of a difference.. this is a chronic condition that only a whole lot of rest can cure.. off season.. until then, they just play him and hope for the best

smave
10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
with his knee knagging him, how long can u expect the office to take this?

sooner or later there gonna realize they need a dependable back.

shally
10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
with his knee knagging him, how long can u expect the office to take this?

sooner or later there gonna realize they need a dependable back.

nothing happens until the off season. portis will slog through the season unless it gets too bad and he shuts it down and goes on IR..

if we have 2 straight years of him going onto IR, i think the front office will give serious thought to bringing in someone else to pair with betts next year

but, we are a long way from that right now

firehawk157
10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
At some point though (even if he doesn't go on IR) you've got to look at his production vs. his pay and make the determination if he's worth keeping. I'm not advocating trading Portis, because I think there are a total of 5 players that aren't nicked up in this league at this point, but if he does end up sitting out most of the season, we've got to look at what he brings vs. what he costs.

redskin_rich
10-02-2007, 04:55 PM
The latest news on Portis is that it's not tendinitis but a bruise and a mild knee sprain suffered in the 1st quarter of the Giants game. I guess this is a little relief, if Tyer is telling the truth.

sitting him is not likely to make much of a difference.. this is a chronic condition that only a whole lot of rest can cure.. off season.. until then, they just play him and hope for the best

I guess I should change the title of the thread for those who comment without reading through. There is nothing chronic about a mildly sprained and bruised knee, as you would know, Shally.

shally
10-02-2007, 05:39 PM

sounds like tyer is studying at the gibbs school of dissembling and coachspeak

grade 1 sprain. Minor, he be fine on sunday, no worriers.

Moss will not play. He has had this type of injury, groin or hamstring, almost every year. He will sit this out to make sure he is 100 percent before entering this long grind that is the rest of the season. this hurts our offense tremendously for ONE game, but i rather have it for one game then him play at 75 percent, and possibly missing more games when it gets worse.

my guess is that he plays on sunday.. and moss does not

shally
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
I guess I should change the title of the thread for those who comment without reading through. There is nothing chronic about a mildly sprained and bruised knee, as you would know, Shally.

rich, i think we are talking about several different injuries here

tendonitis is a chronic inflammation of the tendon, which runs between muscle and bone and surrounds the kneecap.. it is from chronic overuse (hence it is often called "jumpers knee" because it is often seen in basketball players) and it responds to prolonged rest, as it is a function of overuse or overtraining inthe first place... only prolonged rest between seasons is usually effective

a bruise is blunt trauma from one or more specific blows and usually involved hemorrhage or tearing of the tissues. it responds to ice, anti inflammatory agents, rest, elevation and short term rehab..it is usually a limited-time injury

sprains are stretch or tear injuries to ligaments (or muscles)which are the relatively in-elastic bands that hold the knee together. they take longer to heal than bruises but are usually due to single traumas as opposed to overuse injuries. it is also a limited-time injury but is usually longer in resolving than a bruise. again, ice, anti inflammatories, stretch and rehab are the order of the day

so, we are getting a lot of clutter and noise describing what portis has.
perhaps he has more than 1 condition ?
but it makes it difficult to guess whether he will, or should play through it...

themightyjoegibbs
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Good thing he and Betts are interchangeable.

Booo-hahahahaha.

Go slob some knockers......and stop with the comedy.

I guess we or Saunders could also say Lloyd is interchangeable for Moss.

skins74
10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Interchangeable?

Carries/Yards/AVG./TDs
Clinton Portis 48/ 227/ 4.7/ 3
Ladell Betts 30/ 82/ 2.7/ 0

I don't think so. Besides the stats Ladell has blown it when we needed him to come through. I think Marcus Mason would be a better runner with our banged up line. Hopefully Portis is fine and we won't have to go there. One thing I am sure of and every person I have talked to about this agrees they are not interchangeable it's obvious CP is a star and Ladell is a good back up. I would like to see CP get a few more carries if he is up to it.

Battle Cat
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
rich, i think we are talking about several different injuries here

tendonitis is a chronic inflammation of the tendon, which runs between muscle and bone and surrounds the kneecap.. it is from chronic overuse (hence it is often called "jumpers knee" because it is often seen in basketball players) and it responds to prolonged rest, as it is a function of overuse or overtraining inthe first place... only prolonged rest between seasons is usually effective

a bruise is blunt trauma from one or more specific blows and usually involved hemorrhage or tearing of the tissues. it responds to ice, anti inflammatory agents, rest, elevation and short term rehab..it is usually a limited-time injury

sprains are stretch or tear injuries to ligaments (or muscles)which are the relatively in-elastic bands that hold the knee together. they take longer to heal than bruises but are usually due to single traumas as opposed to overuse injuries. it is also a limited-time injury but is usually longer in resolving than a bruise. again, ice, anti inflammatories, stretch and rehab are the order of the day

so, we are getting a lot of clutter and noise describing what portis has.
perhaps he has more than 1 condition ?
but it makes it difficult to guess whether he will, or should play through it...
Portis doesn't like to practice everyone take a deep breath. Idle weeks are the devil's workshop. When he misses a week or it affects his play let me know. Moss is another story.

Slobberknocker
10-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Sounds about right.

shally
10-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Sounds about right.

maybe so, but it is not a good thing in the long term scheme of things

you can take that kind of behavior too far

joethefan
10-03-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm getting to the point where I don't beleive anything coming from ashburn...I can only believe what I see on Sundays....why do I say that...now all of a sudden Portis has a mild knee sprain...no one saw him being worked on during the game, no one saw him running to the locket room, nor was there a report given this so called sprain, the next thing is that if Gibbs has given him the right to go in and out when he wants, then why didn't he run on the field at the last drive and why is everyone questioning Sanders if Portis has the right to get in the game when he wants? Why is Earnest Byner telling him or Betts to go in or out, if he (Portis) has the right to go in and out when he pleases?

shally
10-03-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm getting to the point where I don't beleive anything coming from ashburn...I can only believe what I see on Sundays....why do I say that...now all of a sudden Portis has a mild knee sprain...no one saw him being worked on during the game, no one saw him running to the locket room, nor was there a report given this so called sprain, the next thing is that if Gibbs has given him the right to go in and out when he wants, then why didn't he run on the field at the last drive and why is everyone questioning Sanders if Portis has the right to get in the game when he wants? Why is Earnest Byner telling him or Betts to go in or out, if he (Portis) has the right to go in and out when he pleases?

dysfunction junction... the nearest stop on the metro line to ashburn

it really is a circus, and i think you are correct to ignore everything that is being said (plus about 25% of what you think you actually see)

JoeDaSchmoe
10-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Portis didn't practice all offseason, and he currently has his best ypc average of his Redskins tenure.

I'm not gonna worry unless I see him in street clothes on Sunday.

joethefan
10-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Portis didn't practice all offseason, and he currently has his best ypc average of his Redskins tenure.

I'm not gonna worry unless I see him in street clothes on Sunday.

All I'm saying is that, when the game is on the line, I want my 50m guy onn the field and If i were Danny, I would have had a conversation with someone....I don't care if you call if meddling or not.....

PennSkinsFan
10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I am surprised that anyof you actually had taken Ashburn at their word. They have not been forthcoming on injuries and players issues for years. Thats fact, thats reality.

Back to the point, Portis knee will be an issue all year, many of us predicted that before the season even commenced. Get used to it.

Hr fan
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I am surprised that anyof you actually had taken Ashburn at their word. They have not been forthcoming on injuries and players issues for years. Thats fact, thats reality.

Back to the point, Portis knee will be an issue all year, many of us predicted that before the season even commenced. Get used to it.

And it's not like this is a 'Skins trait alone. NE is worse, and has been punished by the league for being very non-forthcoming about injuries.

redskin_rich
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think the Skins are hiding anything here. If they were, Gibbs wouldn't have blurted out the tendinitis thing in the first place.
Portis will play this week and that is all that matters. If anyone thinks that he has a knee problem that having all of the summer off and then all of training camp off, hasn't cured, then you must also think that Portis is permanently damaged goods at this point.

shally
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think the Skins are hiding anything here. If they were, Gibbs wouldn't have blurted out the tendinitis thing in the first place.
Portis will play this week and that is all that matters. If anyone thinks that he has a knee problem that having all of the summer off and then all of training camp off, hasn't cured, then you must also think that Portis is permanently damaged goods at this point.

that might turn out to be the case, sadly... let us hope not

culpeper
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
that might turn out to be the case, sadly... let us hope not

hes just getting nicked up. that has been his MO throughout his career. but 90% of the time he plays through it. (i love how no one is questioning his shoulder injuries anymore in light of those devestating blocks hes dishing out. also the hit on the eagles #21 when he picked JC, even dawkins cheered that hit!)

anyways back to the topic...i find it halarious that everyone (media) gets all anxious about knee tendonitis, but once they find out its a grade one MCL they POO POO it !!!! IMO the MCL is an actual injury! the tendonitis is just pain, you can play through pain!

shally your the doc, regardless of grade, wouldnt you be MORE concerned about the MCL?

ps. and portis is still going to play through this...hes tough

redskin_rich
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
hes just getting nicked up. that has been his MO throughout his career. but 90% of the time he plays through it. (i love how no one is questioning his shoulder injuries anymore in light of those devestating blocks hes dishing out. also the hit on the eagles #21 when he picked JC, even dawkins cheered that hit!)

anyways back to the topic...i find it halarious that everyone (media) gets all anxious about knee tendonitis, but once they find out its a grade one MCL they POO POO it !!!! IMO the MCL is an actual injury! the tendonitis is just pain, you can play through pain!

shally your the doc, regardless of grade, wouldnt you be MORE concerned about the MCL?

The concern over the tendinitis is due to the recurring nature of it, it supposedly flared up over the summer and again in camp. If it is flaring up again after barely 3 games of work, it is a concern. On the other hand, a bruise and mild sprain is not good but it could be a lot worse and is just part of the normal wear and tear on a RB.

techskinsfan
10-03-2007, 10:39 PM

thats exactly it...im so much more comfortable with tendenitis...cuz thats just pain and inflamation there is no structural damage...u can play thru that depending on desire n pain meds...something i dont think anyone here will question CP has

culpeper
10-04-2007, 01:33 PM
The concern over the tendinitis is due to the recurring nature of it, it supposedly flared up over the summer and again in camp. If it is flaring up again after barely 3 games of work, it is a concern. On the other hand, a bruise and mild sprain is not good but it could be a lot worse and is just part of the normal wear and tear on a RB.

well without getting into the whole physiological effects of each injury (because youre right weve been discussing this since the summer), there are two different grades of an athletic injury.

#1 hurt.
-when an athlete is hurt, it does not compromise anything structural. the injury does not place the athlete at risk for harm or increasing the risk to hurt the injury further. (ie knee tendonitis would fit this catagory. the nature of this injury is chronic to begin with. so a 're-occurance' should not be of any alarm)

#2 injured.
-when an athlete is injured, this may include structural damage, but most importantly it will in some way place the athlete at risk to further increase the related injury if they play through it. (ie. any grade of MCL.)

now i understand that there are a lot of grey areas between these two, and depending on what doc you talk to, they may have the same opinion as you do.

*fact is portis has taken more work when he has had this MCL injury than when he was in TC with tendonitis!

but if portis were to take a hit to the knee (RB have this happen frequently obviously) i believe there would be greater risk to re-injuring or further injuring an MCL sprain. i would not be worried AT ALL that a hit could worsen knee tendonitis.

i know, i know...'but if he has tendonitis, he cant run'. if its that bad, he would not have been playing at all this year so far. that injury happens over time. not in the second half of the giants game.

bergiemoore
10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
i know, i know...'but if he has tendonitis, he cant run'. if its that bad, he would not have been playing at all this year so far. that injury happens over time. not in the second half of the giants game.

Unless it's very severe, this isn't entirely true. You can run all you want, but you pay for it later. The inflammation takes longer to go away the more you irritate it, but you can play through it. It just isn't very smart for your long-term health. Marshall Faulk commented on this earlier in the year, stating that he played through the same injury in his second year. He said it hurt, but after the following offseason, he never experienced another incident.

culpeper
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Unless it's very severe, this isn't entirely true. You can run all you want, but you pay for it later. The inflammation takes longer to go away the more you irritate it, but you can play through it. It just isn't very smart for your long-term health. Marshall Faulk commented on this earlier in the year, stating that he played through the same injury in his second year. He said it hurt, but after the following offseason, he never experienced another incident.

i know, that was my point. but im glad someone else feels the same!:D