PDA

View Full Version : Portis NOT on the Hands Team

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:04 PM
What is going on? Clinton Portis is not practicing and it is starting to show in a big way. There were a number of plays today where he made bad reads and just didn't look in the zone. Furthermore, and more costly, Portis has started fumbling the ball. Now, it didn't cost us this week, but it cost us last week. It may have cost us the game. It is so frustrating to see an athlete as talented as Clinton just being lazy all week and coming in rusty on Sundays. All of this stuff about being injured is bullcrap. When is he getting injured? His 15 carries a game? His 0 reps in practice? Clinton is getting extremely tired....If we were not in serious contention this year, I would say ship him now! Thoughts?????

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 06:08 PM
:rolleyes:

If this was coming from anyone else, this might be a decent topic, but you've been on the "ship Portis out of town" bandwagon as long as I can remember here. Portis always seems to have a little run of 2-3 games where he gets the fumbles, then they disappear.

And there's no way Portis' fumble cost us the Giants game. It hurt, but the defense should have stopped them.

greatest2
10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
i think he will practice more when the bad luck on injuries stops. He has just had bad luck with these injuries, so don't look for him to miss much more of practice, and with practice he will shake that fumble problem and get that rust off, i have faith

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:14 PM
:rolleyes:

If this was coming from anyone else, this might be a decent topic, but you've been on the "ship Portis out of town" bandwagon as long as I can remember here. Portis always seems to have a little run of 2-3 games where he gets the fumbles, then they disappear.

And there's no way Portis' fumble cost us the Giants game. It hurt, but the defense should have stopped them.

So the fact that I bring this up makes it irrelevant? Otherwise it would be a decent topic? You are downright laughable.... I suppose some like the Great Akhhorus has to come up with all the "good" topic of conversation. Get off your high horse guy. It is a relevant topic regardless of the fact that I have an opinion on it.

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 06:17 PM
So the fact that I bring this up makes it irrelevant? Otherwise it would be a decent topic? You are downright laughable.... I suppose some like the Great Akhhorus has to come up with all the "good" topic of conversation. Get off your high horse guy. It is a relevant topic regardless of the fact that I have an opinion on it.

Please show where I said that I "have to come up with all the good topics of conversation". You've been dumping on Portis for every little failure of his since he got here, so a thread questioning his play is weak coming from you. And ending it with hinting that the skins might want to ship him out for a couple fumbles just proves what I'm trying to say here. You don't like POrtis. Fine. You can believe anything you want. But don't be surprised when someone calls you out for your bias when you start a thread advocating dumping him for a couple fumbles.

FanFromArizona
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Truthfully, I don't give a tarn hoot about this. We're winning. The chemistry between Betts and Portis works for me. Beyond that, if CP wants to play x or y amount of plays, then I'll leave it to the better judgment of Gibbs and company.

And what does this have to do with Clinton on/off the Hands Team?

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Please show where I said that I "have to come up with all the good topics of conversation". You've been dumping on Portis for every little failure of his since he got here, so a thread questioning his play is weak coming from you. And ending it with hinting that the skins might want to ship him out for a couple fumbles just proves what I'm trying to say here. You don't like POrtis. Fine. You can believe anything you want. But don't be surprised when someone calls you out for your bias when you start a thread advocating dumping him for a couple fumbles.

Number 1... Just because I am questioning his play does not mean that what I am saying has no realevance.

Number 2... Your right, I do not like Portis. I feel like a could have taken the 279 dollars that I dropped on his authentic jersey could have been better spent over the winter being burned in a ceramic bowl for heat. He made has made statements underminding the coaching staff ever since his arrival. There is a reason Saunders likes Betts more. He made statements earlier in the offseason saying that Mike Vick should be able to fight dogs as long as it was on his property and everyone should mind their own business. Hmm, standup guy eh?

Number 3... My "Lobbying to dump him for a few fumbles" is not accurate. It is a combination of not wanting to practice. Crying about playing in the preseason. Phantom knee injuries that disappear on gameday. Moronic remarks to the media encouraging Dog Fighting. And don't try to say he didn't encourage it, if their were any kids watching that they probably thought "hey, he said it's OK." There are many reasons for my opinion, and that does not devalidate it.

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Truthfully, I don't give a tarn hoot about this. We're winning. The chemistry between Betts and Portis works for me. Beyond that, if CP wants to play x or y amount of plays, then I'll leave it to the better judgment of Gibbs and company.

And what does this have to do with Clinton on/off the Hands Team?

Meaning he fumbles too often and drops passes on critical 3rd down plays.

SpicyMcHaggis
10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Number 1... Just because I am questioning his play does not mean that what I am saying has no realevance.

Number 2... Your right, I do not like Portis. I feel like a could have taken the 279 dollars that I dropped on his authentic jersey could have been better spent over the winter being burned in a ceramic bowl for heat. He made has made statements underminding the coaching staff ever since his arrival. There is a reason Saunders likes Betts more. He made statements earlier in the offseason saying that Mike Vick should be able to fight dogs as long as it was on his property and everyone should mind their own business. Hmm, standup guy eh?

Number 3... My "Lobbying to dump him for a few fumbles" is not accurate. It is a combination of not wanting to practice. Crying about playing in the preseason. Phantom knee injuries that disappear on gameday. Moronic remarks to the media encouraging Dog Fighting. And don't try to say he didn't encourage it, if their were any kids watching that they probably thought "hey, he said it's OK." There are many reasons for my opinion, and that does not devalidate it.
What proof do have of this?

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 06:30 PM

In retort: It makes you a bad source of complaint and hard to take seriously.

Number 2... Your right, I do not like Portis. I feel like a could have taken the 279 dollars that I dropped on his authentic jersey could have been better spent over the winter being burned in a ceramic bowl for heat.

huh? So, you're whining because you bought his jersey? Thats your fault.

He made has made statements underminding the coaching staff ever since his arrival. There is a reason Saunders likes Betts more.

He does?

He made statements earlier in the offseason saying that Mike Vick should be able to fight dogs as long as it was on his property and everyone should mind their own business. Hmm, standup guy eh?

And Portis was an idiot to say that. So what?

A-Its going to be tough to dump him before 2009 with his contract.
B-He produces. Much better than Betts(who's mysteriously forgotten how to run after getting his extension).
C-You were whining about him before everything you list here.

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 06:31 PM

You must hate Betts then. Portis has 11 lost fumbles in 1400+ carries, Betts has 8 lost fumbles in 604 carries.

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Well, gotta go to work, sorry to disturb the board Ahk. Where only your opinion can be correct!!

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
You must hate Betts then. Portis has 11 lost fumbles in 1400+ carries, Betts has 8 lost fumbles in 604 carries.

Betts doesn't have one the highest paid contracts in the league either. Portis has to be held to a higher standard.

SpicyMcHaggis
10-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I
B-He produces. Much better than Betts(who's mysteriously forgotten how to run after getting his extension).
Betts so far: 38 carries, 104 yards, 0 TDs, and a 2.7 average.

Stellar.

The Iceman
10-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Betts so far: 38 carries, 104 yards, 0 TDs, and a 2.7 average.

Stellar.

lol, I'm not lobbying for Betts. Just wish Portis would take this whole "football" thing a little more seriously. Like, uhmmm, maybe practice.

SpicyMcHaggis
10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
lol, I'm not lobbying for Betts. Just wish Portis would take this whole "football" thing a little more seriously. Like, uhmmm, maybe practice.
I'm just curious to know what evidence you have that Saunders likes Betts more, since Portis is getting the vast majority of the snaps (and prodcing the vast majority of the time).

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, gotta go to work, sorry to disturb the board Ahk. Where only your opinion can be correct!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Please show where I said that here. I'm sorry someone dared to call you out as someone who just wants to dump on a certain player, but thats just too bad. I look forward to when Portis has a great game and you're nowhere to be seen here.

Betts doesn't have one the highest paid contracts in the league either. Portis has to be held to a higher standard.

Betts is one of the highest paid backups in the NFL and has a whopping 2.8 ypc. Be consistent with your criticism, or you're nothing but a guy with a weak agenda.

FanFromArizona
10-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Hands Team is the unit that comes on the field when an obvious on-side attempt is about to be made by our opponent.

Battle Cat
10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Portis is a top running back. I am a Portis fan but do you trade him for the best defensive back of his era and a 2nd rounder well lets not go there we won today. Betts is very good when the offensive line is very very good, otherwise Betts is slightly above average at best. Portis can take plays to the house that Betts can't. Portis can pick up the blitz that Betts doesn't. Portis is a game changing back. He is worth his contract. The fumble last week was a problem with the exchange and not a traditional taking a hit fumble. Betts has lost more games on late fumbles than I care to remember so bringing up Portis' one time is probably a little harsh. But everyone's opinion should be valued and I can disagree without being disagreeable.

Redskinfan28
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Portis seems to be suffering from a lack of concentration - his is not taking many shots which cause the fumbles.

The Skinsinator
10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
We need Clinton healthy practice or not. The fumble today was bs but he is a game changing back and I want him playing alot every week. Love how we put him right back in after this fumble. Possibly a different outlook 2 weeks ago had we done the same thing. This is a new violent nfl folks. If Portis wants to not practice for games I have no problem with it if his health is the reason. These guys wanna win. CP isn't complaining because his yards are below average. Lloyd isn't even complaining about catching 1 ball this year and seeing gametime is a pipedream. They all want to win.

jaylen
10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
This is an extreme overreaction by the thread starter. Portis is fine, its football rb's fumble it happens. You never want to see it but it can happen to anyone running hard as he does. He's not being lazy he's just laboring with injuries.

Its apparent to me that he doesn't have his EXTRA gear right now because of the knee. He was run down from behind by a couple lineman in todays game on plays he usually explodes away from.

He is fine gutting it out because we need him.

firehawk157
10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I wonder if Giants fans are saying the same thing about Burress...

Anyways, this is retarded, Portis has fumbled twice in four games, it happens. Betts has costs us games with his fumbles. Betts is a good back-up, but nothing above just good. Portis is a threat every play. If you think Betts is as good as Portis, you haven't been watching the games or dont care for stats. So what have you been doing, playing madden and basing your opinion on those games???

sinskin
10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Portis is a top running back. I am a Portis fan but do you trade him for the best defensive back of his era and a 2nd rounder well lets not go there we won today. Betts is very good when the offensive line is very very good, otherwise Betts is slightly above average at best. Portis can take plays to the house that Betts can't. Portis can pick up the blitz that Betts doesn't. Portis is a game changing back. He is worth his contract. The fumble last week was a problem with the exchange and not a traditional taking a hit fumble. Betts has lost more games on late fumbles than I care to remember so bringing up Portis' one time is probably a little harsh. But everyone's opinion should be valued and I can disagree without being disagreeable.

*applauds*

best thing Ive read since Ive been here

Biggie
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Akh is right when he says Portis gets a case of the drops once a year. He had a two-fumble game once every year between '02 and '05. It happens, and he's always gotten over it.

LuvSkins17
10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Who is this guy?????

RedskinRyan
10-07-2007, 09:19 PM
i agree and disagree on both sides. portis fumbles a bit more than we'd all prefer, but not nearly as much as betts. and let's face it. CP is how we get things done.

firehawk157
10-07-2007, 09:20 PM
*applauds*

best thing Ive read since Ive been here
You must have everyone on ignore then...

shally
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=RedskinRyan;1018548]i agree and disagree on both sides. portis fumbles a bit more than we'd all prefer, but not nearly as much as betts. and let's face it. CP is how we get things done.[/QUOTE

totally agree.. when the game is on the line, i want portis in there.. regardless of his fumbles..

and i dont think it has anything to do with practice

RedskinRyan
10-07-2007, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=RedskinRyan;1018548]i agree and disagree on both sides. portis fumbles a bit more than we'd all prefer, but not nearly as much as betts. and let's face it. CP is how we get things done.[/QUOTE

totally agree.. when the game is on the line, i want portis in there.. regardless of his fumbles..

and i dont think it has anything to do with practice

yeah, allen iverson doesnt need practice ;)

shally
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=shally;1018551]

yeah, allen iverson doesnt need practice ;)

i loved that video of iverson that was posted on postgameheroes with iverson saying at least 50 times, "it's practice"

a classic... i guess portis feels the same way..lol

chicago_skinz_fan
10-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Portis played OK. He really seemed banged up this game and was coming out for a bunch of plays which is OK. You know why? Be cause we have Ladell. That is such a great feeling to have two backs which can both produce.

You know what is really getting me? All the freaking dumb arse arguments on these boards. AK you seem to be getting on anyone's case that does not speak your position. Normally I agree with what you say, but you really seem to be getting on everyone's ass that does not agree with you.

We won! We had a great performance and I will be up at Lambeau representing next week!!! Who is rolling up there as well?

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Portis played OK. He really seemed banged up this game and was coming out for a bunch of plays which is OK. You know why? Be cause we have Ladell. That is such a great feeling to have two backs which can both produce.

You know what is really getting me? All the freaking dumb ass arguments on these boards. AK you seem to be getting on anyone's case that does not speak your position. Normally I agree with what you say, but you really seem to be getting on everyone's ass that does not agree with you.

We won! We had a great performance and I will be up at Lambeau representing next week!!! Who is rolling up there as well?

I don't read or respond to most threads in this forum. And I don't comment on a lot of things I disagree with of the stuff I don't agree with because it just isn't worth it. What I respond to is when someone is being disingenuous(like this one is), using bad facts or flat out is making a point that goes beyond the pale.

chicago_skinz_fan
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't read or respond to most threads in this forum. And I don't comment on a lot of things I disagree with of the stuff I don't agree with because it just isn't worth it. What I respond to is when someone is being disingenuous(like this one is), using bad facts or flat out is making a point that goes beyond the pale.

That is totally cool dude. I respect what you have to say most of the time. YOu are obviously a well educated fan. However, you need to not get down on people so much. THat is all I am saying... Also, if you don't respond to most threads on these forums then how do you have 30K posts?

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
That is totally cool dude. I respect what you have to say most of the time. YOu are obviously a well educated fan. However, you need to not get down on people so much. THat is all I am saying...Also, if you don't respond to most threads on these forums then how do you have 30K posts?

This is a conversation we should take to pm.

RedskinRyan
10-07-2007, 09:49 PM
That is totally cool dude. I respect what you have to say most of the time. YOu are obviously a well educated fan. However, you need to not get down on people so much. THat is all I am saying... Also, if you don't respond to most threads on these forums then how do you have 30K posts?

political forum would be my guess......and you know those drunken phone calls to ex-girlfriends that are inevitable, and we can't remember what we said? perhaps it's the same way he posts.....one can only speculate.

shally
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM

let me take a whack at that one...

because, akh gets more question or comments addressed to him than probably anyone else here. he will respond to coherent arguments and vigorously, but fairly defends his positions. he has been here nearly longer than anyone and posts on a tremendously wide assortment of topics. .... and he is right the vast majority of times

firehawk157
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Is that still open? I thought that was closed forever...

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 09:52 PM
political forum would be my guess......and you know those drunken phone calls to ex-girlfriends that are inevitable, and we can't remember what we said? perhaps it's the same way he posts.....one can only speculate.

I have guest posters. I think Fent is scheduled to post as me this week lol. It was Desmond Tutu last week.

hail2skins
10-07-2007, 09:52 PM

You know what is really getting me? All the freaking dumb arguments on these boards. AK you seem to be getting on anyone's case that does not speak your position. Normally I agree with what you say, but you really seem to be getting on everyone that does not agree with you.

We won! We had a great performance and I will be up at Lambeau representing next week!!! Who is rolling up there as well?What's with all this profanity you're using here. You know it's against the guidelines. Consider yourself warned and modify your post.

It also amazes me that people will throw out an opinion and not have evidence to back it up and then to them it becomes someone attacking them.

akhhorus
10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
What's with all this profanity you're using here. You know it's against the guidelines. Consider yourself warned and modify your post.

It also amazes me that people will throw out an opinion and not have evidence to back it up and then to them it becomes someone attacking them.

Its not just happening to me, but whenever someone has nothing else, they attack the person questioning them and try to make them the issue. Thats annoying as heck whenever I see it.

hail2skins
10-07-2007, 09:57 PM
political forum would be my guess......and you know those drunken phone calls to ex-girlfriends that are inevitable, and we can't remember what we said? perhaps it's the same way he posts.....one can only speculate.Sometimes it is best to stay out of conversations. hint

Biggie
10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I have guest posters. I think Fent is scheduled to post as me this week lol. It was Desmond Tutu last week.
It's true. Akh is really just a collaborative effort of the hR community. 437 posts of his posts have been me, actually.

RedskinRyan
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
and sometimes i choose to excerise freedom of speech

culpeper
10-07-2007, 10:11 PM
i think the important thing here is not portis vs. betts, or who fumbles. i think the important thing here is that our 'workhorse' went for 72 yards today and we RAN AWAY with this game.

fact is portis was our only hope 2 years ago on our playoff run. NOW hes just another part of the team.

whatever is going on, its working. portis not going for 200yrds and a TD is NOT that important for our football team! (and thats a good thing!)

chicago_skinz_fan
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
i think the important thing here is not portis vs. betts, or who fumbles. i think the important thing here is that our 'workhorse' went for 72 yards today and we RAN AWAY with this game.

fact is portis was our only hope 2 years ago on our playoff run. NOW hes just another part of the team.

whatever is going on, its working. portis not going for 200yrds and a TD is NOT that important for our football team! (and thats a good thing!)

very nicely said!

hail2skins
10-07-2007, 10:14 PM
and sometimes i choose to excerise freedom of speechWhen you're mature enough, you'll know what I meant.

You exercised your freedom of speech but don't think that you can at will. This is a private message board you know and it has rules that govern it. You may think you're entitled to free speech but you aren't technically speaking.

culpeper
10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
very nicely said!

lol, cut out my double negative there in the last sentence and i thank you sir!

chicago_skinz_fan
10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
lol, cut out my double negative there in the last sentence and i thank you sir!

Thanks for making me look like a complete idiot! ;-)

culpeper
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for making me look like a complete idiot! ;-)

LMAO!!!!!! you sir are WELCOME!!!!!

DoGood
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
How can you just discount that CP has an injury? Are you Bubba Tyer? Until you are, I'm not taking you seriously.

dj_stouty
10-09-2007, 07:40 AM
and sometimes i choose to excerise freedom of speech

Freedom of speech doesn't cary over into privately owned websites or message boards. The Admins decide what is appropriate and what isn't. To paraphrase Judge Dredd; "They are the Law".

Hr fan
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Now that impresses me (lol).

bergiemoore
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
What is going on? Clinton Portis is not practicing and it is starting to show in a big way.

Portis practiced at least Thursday and Friday this past week. He did so in order to guarantee that Gibbs would allow him to play, according to his interview.

There were a number of plays today where he made bad reads and just didn't look in the zone. Furthermore, and more costly, Portis has started fumbling the ball. Now, it didn't cost us this week, but it cost us last week. It may have cost us the game.

Fumbling the ball is not an indication of not practicing. At this level, basic fundamentals, like carrying the ball, are pretty well instinct. Sometimes, accidents happen. Right now, RBs with 2 fumbles in the year include Frank Gore, Edgerrin James, Willie Parker, Steven Jackson and Jamal Lewis.

It is so frustrating to see an athlete as talented as Clinton just being lazy all week and coming in rusty on Sundays. All of this stuff about being injured is bullcrap. When is he getting injured? His 15 carries a game? His 0 reps in practice? Clinton is getting extremely tired....If we were not in serious contention this year, I would say ship him now! Thoughts?????

It only takes one play in a game/practice to get injured.

The NFL and the Player's Association have been very serious about teams accurately disclosing injuries, for a number of reasons. I think that the Skins and Portis risk too much to lie about his condition just so he can play XBox.

Clinton is getting extremely tired....If we were not in serious contention this year, I would say ship him now! Thoughts?????

As for shipping him out, I think that is about the worst thing that the Skins could do. He is the best back on the team, with game breaking potential, and reads defenses better than anyone we currently have on the roster. He is an all around back, excellent blocker, and a decent pass receiver. He is a crucial weapon in this offense, just ask any defensive coordinator. He makes teams scheme for him, which opens up other aspects of the offense.

Do we apply your same logic to other players that haven't been playing up to their potential this year? What about Moss?

SpicyMcHaggis
10-09-2007, 11:47 AM
What about Moss?
The Iceman doesn't dislike Moss, so he can stay.

Ibleedburgundy
10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Fumbling the ball is not an indication of not practicing. At this level, basic fundamentals, like carrying the ball, are pretty well instinct.

I agree with most of what you said but this point strikes me as counter intuitive. Fumbling hand offs would seem to be chemistry-something that could be improved with reps.

bergiemoore
10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with most of what you said but this point strikes me as counter intuitive. Fumbling hand offs would seem to be chemistry-something that could be improved with reps.

Good point, I was thinking more of the fumble Portis had in the Lions game.

Still, even QB/RB tandems that have played together for years muff this on occasion. This is the only time I recall Portis and Campbell missing the exchange.

The Iceman
10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey, naysayers. I guess were back to square one. I mean square 3. 3 fumbles for Portis now, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I think it's time open up your eyes and admit that my statement carry some validity.

Biggie
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, naysayers. I guess were back to square one. I mean square 3. 3 fumbles for Portis now, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I think it's time open up your eyes and admit that my statement carry some validity.
We're not going to legitimize your anti-Portis tirades. You see, most of us don't root for a player on the team to fail just because it'll make us look smart.

akhhorus
10-15-2007, 08:49 PM

I'm glad you're happy because Portis fumbled, just proves my point. Too bad that Moss' fumble was more costly. Shouldn't you be starting a thread on him to at least go through the pretense that you're not just a guy with a bias against Portis?

skinsfan45
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
i don't think CP would draw as much criticism if he hadn't publicly stated so many times how much he hates practice and pre-season - i can't imagine that most of the guys love either one but they do it anyway knowing that it will make a difference once the season starts -- CP blowing these off is coming off as lazy and not being a team player to alot of people- whether that is a correction assumption, IDK -- once the mistakes start happening the overall assumption is that they are coming from a lack of reps with the team -- now with him dictating when he comes in or out of the games, he's asking for all the criticism he's getting - on the back side of that is the fact that the coaches are allowing it -- if he is injured, keep him out until he heals, do not risk further injury to guy you've given all the $ to and don't put the team at a disadvantage by rotating -- we need the guys on the field during the games to be comfortable with each other and the plays that they are running - injuries have set us back enough on offense, any kind of consistency we can put together would be an asset