PDA

View Full Version : Getting smart or getting older?

Hr fan
11-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I know this is early, but what position will the fo think is needed at the 1st round level? Virtually all early 2008 drafts have a D player, almost all a DE. Will the fo finally realize the need, or what position do you see them going for?

techskinsfan
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
wr or de...na well draft another corner probably

fent
11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
wr or de...na well draft another corner probably

if Rogers isn't progressing well, it wouldn't surprise me to see this...especially if Springs gets his walking papers.

redskin_rich
11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I'll post my answer at the end of March '08, after cuts and free agency.

The nice thing is we have all three first day picks, so we don't have to focus purely on one pick. What a concept!

smoak
11-05-2007, 01:50 PM
See to me you take the best available and I don't know the middle of the draft well enough to predict. The good (bad) news is that you can almost name any position and we could use a first rounder there. :D

My guess is o-line if a great OT drops, but most likely DE.

GolfFreak
11-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Certainly depends on FA and the rest of THIS season, but if you had to pick now I'd say DE, OLine or corner.

Lavar703
11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I would like to see us go after Chris Long and Xavier Adibi, maybe we could luck out and grab Lawrence Jackson in the second round.

akhhorus
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Unless we're players for someone like Samuel or DeAngelo Hall, I think we're going CB with Rogers' injury and Springs inevitable exit. Personally, I would rather give up a 3rd(and maybe a player) for Hall and go DL in round 1.

Lavar703
11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Unless we're players for someone like Samuel or DeAngelo Hall, I think we're going CB with Rogers' injury and Springs inevitable exit. Personally, I would rather give up a 3rd(and maybe a player) for Hall and go DL in round 1.

A 3rd for Hall, you really think that will do it? I just cant fathom another DB in the first round, its like running in circles, I argued for a reciever last year in Calvin Johnson, but if we go anything other than a DE in the first round Im going to pull my hair out

akhhorus
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
A 3rd for Hall, you really think that will do it? I just cant fathom another DB in the first round, its like running in circles, I argued for a reciever last year in Calvin Johnson, but if we go anything other than a DE in the first round Im going to pull my hair out

I think they want to dump Hall just to send a message that Petrino is in charge. A 3rd might get it done, I might offer them our 2nd also and see if they would throw in Crumpler also(who's also on his way out apparently). Run a 2 TE set with Cooley as more of an Hback and Crumpler.

TheUSwagger
11-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I think they want to dump Hall just to send a message that Petrino is in charge. A 3rd might get it done, I might offer them our 2nd also and see if they would throw in Crumpler also(who's also on his way out apparently). Run a 2 TE set with Cooley as more of an Hback and Crumpler.

If we could pull a deal like that I would be hesitant to do it. Would we give Hall an extension if we acquired him?

greatest2
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM

im sorry, i might be missing something here. But what have you heard that says hall is on the outs in Atlanta. He had that bad game with the penalties but he paid for it, and he is a big time player, and you can't just get rid of that, can you?

A 3rd would be fine with me, but i think ATL may have better suiters for his services. I guess it depends on the player we throw them. Washington and draft someone? who do you think we would send?

id be good with a 2nd and 3rd for hall, but they got throw us like a 4th and a 5th. I never like Crumpler (i don't know why, he is pretty productive, but he never did anythin for me), and i doubt they would depart with a 3rd.

joethefan
11-06-2007, 05:20 AM

my lawd you just sent goosvbemp up back..thinking about that cooley and crumpler...WOW

Lavar703
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
im sorry, i might be missing something here. But what have you heard that says hall is on the outs in Atlanta. He had that bad game with the penalties but he paid for it, and he is a big time player, and you can't just get rid of that, can you?

A 3rd would be fine with me, but i think ATL may have better suiters for his services. I guess it depends on the player we throw them. Washington and draft someone? who do you think we would send?

id be good with a 2nd and 3rd for hall, but they got throw us like a 4th and a 5th. I never like Crumpler (i don't know why, he is pretty productive, but he never did anythin for me), and i doubt they would depart with a 3rd.

Hes actually had quite a few incidents this year and is definately on the outs with Petrino, not to mention he said he would like to be traded, he doesnt want to be in Atlanta anymore.

akhhorus
11-06-2007, 05:54 PM
my lawd you just sent goosvbemp up back..thinking about that cooley and crumpler...WOW

Thanks for saving me the time L703, and Crumpler is also on the way out in Atlanta. I would make sure his knees aren't going to be a long term prob. I believe I mentioned earlier this year that the offense looked better in the two TE set. Crumpler and Cooley would cause a ton of match up probs while improving the blocking. And for those 2 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB, 1 WR sets: put Cooley, Portis, Crumpler, Moss and Sellers on the field together.

Meatsnack
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
If I put on my GM hat I go get Albert Haynesworth in FA, see what happens with Hall as Carlos insurance - I probably wouldn't trade for him unless the asking price fell to day 2 or an '09 3rd rounder because Springs is looking more like a bargain every day even at his highest salary point. Unless something crazy like Assante Samuels falling into our laps for similar money happened (since he will certainly get a bigger deal than Clements I consider this about as likely as Bill Belicheater quitting to head the American Red Cross). I would also look into Andre Davis out of Houston and Bernard Berrian out of Chicago as possible 2nd tier guys at WR.

In the draft I am looking at the BPA among DL, CB, WR, and OL with the plan to get two line players on day 1. DT is deeper than DE, so if you want a pass rusher who can start you are pretty much looking 1st round or FA. Since I want no part of Jared Allen's steroid problems and think Justin Smith is overrated, the draft it is.The DE class of '08 is a mess - guys with talent and physical things you can't teach but no production (Calais Campbell, Tyson Jackson, Kendall Langford) and guys with proven production but who may be maxed out in college (Long and Gholston). Personally, I would probably draft DT in round 1 knowing what I know now and either hope a Gholston fell to the second round or look for a guy like Langford ( a physical Phillip Daniels clone) early on day two.

If a crazy good backer fell and presented a too good to pass-up value I might be tempted because it looks like MW is having health issues pretty consistently now. The problem is, any of the guys good enough to start right away (e.g. Rivers or Adibi) do not have the size to play Sam or in the case of Maluaga don't have the cover skills. Plus, Rocky McIntosh doesn't cover well enough to slide over and take the TE to create space for a new Will. I do love Adibi's nose for the football, though. The guy is a player.

akhhorus
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
If I put on my GM hat I go get Albert Haynesworth in FA

I would be VERY careful on Haynesworth. He's always been a head case, lazy, bad work habits and uneven production--until this year when he's playing for a contract. PFT had a thing on him saying that the word around the league was that everyone thinks that he's playing for a big deal and he'll go back to the old Haynesworth. Frankly, I would rather target Randy Starks from the Titans.

In the draft I am looking at the BPA among DL, CB, WR, and OL with the plan to get two line players on day 1. DT is deeper than DE, so if you want a pass rusher who can start you are pretty much looking 1st round or FA. Since I want no part of Jared Allen's steroid problems and think Justin Smith is overrated, the draft it is.The DE class of '08 is a mess - guys with talent and physical things you can't teach but no production (Calais Campbell, Tyson Jackson, Kendall Langford) and guys with proven production but who may be maxed out in college (Long and Gholston). Personally, I would probably draft DT in round 1 knowing what I know now and either hope a Gholston fell to the second round or look for a guy like Langford ( a physical Phillip Daniels clone) early on day two.

Derrick Harvey? Quentin Groves? Lawrence Jackson?

Meatsnack
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I would be VERY careful on Haynesworth. He's always been a head case, lazy, bad work habits and uneven production--until this year when he's playing for a contract. PFT had a thing on him saying that the word around the league was that everyone thinks that he's playing for a big deal and he'll go back to the old Haynesworth. Frankly, I would rather target Randy Starks from the Titans. Haynesworth has risks no doubt. And Starks would be a good rotational guy with Kedric. If they let Randy walk out of Tennessee I would have him in for a look but his production has been low for the team that drafted him.

My thinking on Haynesworth is that we now know he can play like the guy they thought they were getting out of UT- who was a monster. If the coaches here can get that out of Monty, they can squeeze it out of Albert and we get two young 6'6" 320# destroyers in the interior, pretty much guaranteeing Malcom X single blocking. According to what I found Haynesworth felt like he had something to prove after the idiotic stomping of Gurode and I attribute at least some of his dedication this season to that - and no doubt a payday figures in there somewhere, too ;). If you have legit testimony that the guy is a lardbutt, then I would stay away. I also count on the Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams connection for good intel there.

Derrick Harvey? Quentin Groves? Lawrence Jackson?

Lawrence Jackson is too light at 6'5"/265# to play LDE and has limited quicks and athleticism. He isn't good enough to supplant Malcom X at RDE as a pass rusher and wouldn't be an upgrade over Wilson as a situational guy at LDE, imo. His production at Southern Cal has been limited and sporadic. To me, he is just a guy.

Groves has SEC production, which is huge, but is a "tweener" at 6'3" and 255#. In my mind, if he could play at a legit 275 and maintain his quickness, sign him up as the Redskins LDE. Those are a lot of if in a first rounder. To me he is a break-even risk in the 2nd and a good risk in the third but I doubt he lasts that long, especially if he grades out well as a 3-4 OLB.

Last, in my mind, Derrick Harvey is an unacceptable risk on Day 1. He is Quentin Moses in orange and blue. 6'4" and 260# he can't contribute right away except as a situational guy and he has only had one full, productive season at Florida. He may turn out to be great or he may turnout to be just a guy. There just isn't enough data on the guy to tell but my suspicion is he will be a rush backer in 3-4 land somewhere. Too much risk for my taste in the 4-3.

Frankly, the only guys I feel good about at LDE for us are Chris Long and guessing that Tyson Jackson is too big and has too much motor to bust even though he isn't a cinch to pan out either. I really like Kendall Langford as a Day 2 guy because he has several years of dominating at his level which is important for D-II guys and he can develop over a couple of seasons.

As an aside, I have been meaning to ask you for a while your take on Frank Okam. I can't figure the guy out. Dominant talent minimized by Mack Brown or fat guy with no desire to be the best? Do you have a take on the guy?

akhhorus
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Haynesworth has risks no doubt. And Starks would be a good rotational guy with Kedric. If they let Randy walk out of Tennessee I would have him in for a look but his production has been low for the team that drafted him.

My thinking on Haynesworth is that we now know he can play like the guy they thought they were getting out of UT- who was a monster. If the coaches here can get that out of Monty, they can squeeze it out of Albert and we get two young 6'6" 320# destroyers in the interior, pretty much guaranteeing Malcom X single blocking. According to what I found Haynesworth felt like he had something to prove after the idiotic stomping of Gurode and I attribute at least some of his dedication this season to that - and no doubt a payday figures in there somewhere, too ;). If you have legit testimony that the guy is a lardbutt, then I would stay away. I also count on the Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams connection for good intel there.

And when the Titans were looking to deal Haynesworth before 06, we had little interest. I'd much rather sign a DE(Suggs? Spicer?) and draft a DT.

Lawrence Jackson is too light at 6'5"/265# to play LDE and has limited quicks and athleticism. He isn't good enough to supplant Malcom X at RDE as a pass rusher and wouldn't be an upgrade over Wilson as a situational guy at LDE, imo. His production at Southern Cal has been limited and sporadic. To me, he is just a guy.

See, I disagree about him. I think he could bulk up to the 285 range without losing his quickness. He has a great motor and good technique.

Last, in my mind, Derrick Harvey is an unacceptable risk on Day 1. He is Quentin Moses in orange and blue. 6'4" and 260# he can't contribute right away except as a situational guy and he has only had one full, productive season at Florida. He may turn out to be great or he may turnout to be just a guy. There just isn't enough data on the guy to tell but my suspicion is he will be a rush backer in 3-4 land somewhere. Too much risk for my taste in the 4-3.

See, I'm a big Harvey fan. I think he's a better prospect than Moses(who I'm still high on).

Frankly, the only guys I feel good about at LDE for us are Chris Long and guessing that Tyson Jackson is too big and has too much motor to bust even though he isn't a cinch to pan out either. I really like Kendall Langford as a Day 2 guy because he has several years of dominating at his level which is important for D-II guys and he can develop over a couple of seasons.

Jackson has the perfect size/speed, but LSU dlinemen are hit and miss.

As an aside, I have been meaning to ask you for a while your take on Frank Okam. I can't figure the guy out. Dominant talent minimized by Mack Brown or fat guy with no desire to be the best? Do you have a take on the guy?

I think the answer lies in between. He's got way too much talent to be a total bust and he's got perfect 2 gap size. Brown is also awful at minimizing the talent he has now(see this season where despite a GREAT team, he's struggled to beat a ton of bad teams like UCF, Nebraska, etc). If someone can motivate him more, he's John Henderson. If we address the DE, CB and Oline issues in free agency, I wouldn't have a problem drafting him(or Dre Moore) to team with Monty.

Meatsnack
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
And when the Titans were looking to deal Haynesworth before 06, we had little interest. I'd much rather sign a DE(Suggs? Spicer?) and draft a DT.Yeah, I could get behind that. My issue would be what to do next. Suggs could supplant Malcom X at RDE but then what with AC? Neither is big enough to hold the point vs. an NFL ROT. Spicer is a true LDE but is 32. I'd rather take a chance on Jared Allen kicking his "flaxseed oil" habit if I go for an end in FA.

That's why I lean toward the draft. Riskier from a boom or bust standpoint but you can pick a true LDE body type and the kind of player that fits a system a little better. With the way Blache likes his LDEs (big and meaty run stoppers who can get 4-6 sacks as a bonus) I see Chris Long, the LSU kid, and Kendall Langford as fitting that style and body type.

See, I disagree about him. I think he could bulk up to the 285 range without losing his quickness. He has a great motor and good technique. Yeah, he is a good kid and plays hard. I get to see a lot of him out here in Cali. My problem is production - 2004: 6 sacks, 2005: 10 sacks, 2006: 4 sacks, 2007: 5.5 in 9 games. He is a good but not great end and he is too small to be anything but a situational guy in 2008, so we are looking at another season of "The Corpse of Phillip Daniels" at LDE. I think he could be a very servicable RDE in the league but we don't need a RDE as much.

See, I'm a big Harvey fan. I think he's a better prospect than Moses(who I'm still high on). I wish we had claimed Moses off waivers myself just to try to develop him for a full off-season. That aside, I don't regard Harvey as a guy who can claim to be as good as Moses in college. In 2005 he was a situational guy with 6 tackles in 9 games. He blew-up in 2006 with 11 sacks plus 3 in the National Championship game vs. Ohio State where he was a man on fire. He has 6.5 sacks through 9 games so far in 2007. To me, he is a great Elephant backer waiting to happen but probably not a DE, even a RDE because he looks too slender in build to me. In any case, I regard his production over 1.8 seasons as not enough evidence to draft him high in round 1. I would need to see him dominate when people know about him and scheme him away.

Jackson has the perfect size/speed, but LSU dlinemen are hit and miss. Yes, and he plays alongside some dominant guys. It is hard for me to tell how much is him and how much is playing on an NFL quality line in the NCAA. When I watch him, he has the LDE/swing tackle body Blache likes and he looks active with a high motor. So, I don't have to wonder if he can grow into his position and I don't have to worry that he's a lardbutt. His big knock is the same one on the other two above - he hasn't been dominant for long enough to tell what is real and what is memorex. He had 8.5 sacks from the LDE position to lead LSU in 2006 after being a 2-sack rotational guy in 2005. He only has 2.5 sacks through 9 games in 2007 (with good tackle numbers) so, you start to wonder "Is this a case of look like Tarzan play like Jane?" If only we could get Long...

I think the answer lies in between. He's got way too much talent to be a total bust and he's got perfect 2 gap size. Brown is also awful at minimizing the talent he has now(see this season where despite a GREAT team, he's struggled to beat a ton of bad teams like UCF, Nebraska, etc). If someone can motivate him more, he's John Henderson. If we address the DE, CB and Oline issues in free agency, I wouldn't have a problem drafting him(or Dre Moore) to team with Monty. I would take John Henderson. :)

SpicyMcHaggis
11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
As I said the day after the 2007 Draft, we're gonna pick a corner. You can take that to the bank.

akhhorus
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I could get behind that. My issue would be what to do next. Suggs could supplant Malcom X at RDE but then what with AC? Neither is big enough to hold the point vs. an NFL ROT. Spicer is a true LDE but is 32. I'd rather take a chance on Jared Allen kicking his "flaxseed oil" habit if I go for an end in FA.

If we're so damned determined to play the Tampa-2 no matter what, then a Dline of Suggs-Monty-Draftee(Okam/Moore)-AC would be pretty solid. The ends wouldn't have to face the OGs in doubles much because of the sheer size of the DTs.

That's why I lean toward the draft. Riskier from a boom or bust standpoint but you can pick a true LDE body type and the kind of player that fits a system a little better. With the way Blache likes his LDEs (big and meaty run stoppers who can get 4-6 sacks as a bonus) I see Chris Long, the LSU kid, and Kendall Langford as fitting that style and body type.

I like Long, but I'm not as high on him as y'all are. He's a 3-4 DE or the T-2 DT.

Yes, and he plays alongside some dominant guys. It is hard for me to tell how much is him and how much is playing on an NFL quality line in the NCAA. When I watch him, he has the LDE/swing tackle body Blache likes and he looks active with a high motor. So, I don't have to wonder if he can grow into his position and I don't have to worry that he's a lardbutt. His big knock is the same one on the other two above - he hasn't been dominant for long enough to tell what is real and what is memorex. He had 8.5 sacks from the LDE position to lead LSU in 2006 after being a 2-sack rotational guy in 2005. He only has 2.5 sacks through 9 games in 2007 (with good tackle numbers) so, you start to wonder "Is this a case of look like Tarzan play like Jane?" If only we could get Long...

He reminds me a lot of a Kevin Carter type guy. He'll play De on 1st/2nd, then pass rush at DT. I'm still not high on LSU DLmen, they always seem to disappoint.

firehawk157
11-07-2007, 02:52 PM
As I said the day after the 2007 Draft, we're gonna pick a corner. You can take that to the bank.

Personally, if I was the FO, I would hang onto Springs one more year. We can cut a couple of unproductive players, use the June 1st exception on a couple of the larger hits and restructure some of the bigger contracts and by the numbers I came up with, it looks like we'll end up about $9M under the cap. That frees us up to address other needs and figure out if Rogers was the solid (but unspectacular) corner we saw in flashes of 05 and 07, or the burnt toast we saw in all of 06. Springs can provide a safety blanket and we look solid again in the backfield.

We can pick up a DL in the first round (we can pick around 20) and Akh and Meatsnack have been discussing this plenty that I don't need to go over it. I would get a receiver in the 2nd (from my experience, 2nd round receivers produce just as well as first round) and pick up an OT/OG (depending) in the 3rd.

In FA, I think all we would necessarily need is a serviceable DL player and maybe a young guy at OG/OT.

Of course, if Derek Anderson becomes available (which might happen due to the Browns stinginess), I think it would be intriguing to see if we go for him. Campbell is still learning and yadda yadda yadda, but you can't deny that Anderson has looked very sharp.

akhhorus
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
We can pick up a DL in the first round (we can pick around 20) and Akh and Meatsnack have been discussing this plenty that I don't need to go over it. I would get a receiver in the 2nd (from my experience, 2nd round receivers produce just as well as first round) and pick up an OT/OG (depending) in the 3rd.

I don't have a problem with that as long as we get a Big Flanker WR. But honestly, unless we're dumping Moss, I think that 2nd should go for a guy like Chris Williams or another OT/OG type guy.

Of course, if Derek Anderson becomes available (which might happen due to the Browns stinginess), I think it would be intriguing to see if we go for him. Campbell is still learning and yadda yadda yadda, but you can't deny that Anderson has looked very sharp.

I think Anderson will be a RFA, and they'll tender him with first round compensation.

skinfanjon
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Ive always thought Limas Sweed would translate well to the pros, but he's having an awful year statistically. I haven't watched a Texas game all season, so I don't really know what the problem is. What's his projected draft status at this point?

If not Sweed, what guys should we be looking at to fill that flanker role? I bartend at a pretty slow bar on Saturday's, so I get to watch a ton of games but can't follow any of them close enough to evaluate any talent outside of the obvious studs. We obviously cant afford to spend a first rounder on a WR, so what bargains are there in the 2nd/3rd?

firehawk157
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I think Anderson will be a RFA, and they'll tender him with first round compensation.

That may even be worth it depending on what the coaches think of JC after reviewing the film. If they think he can be a good/great QB, obviously I'd rather use the first rounder on a DE. But if they look at it and don't see him being our guy going forward, I would offer the first and draw up a poison pill contract for the Browns.

akhhorus
11-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Ive always thought Limas Sweed would translate well to the pros, but he's having an awful year statistically. I haven't watched a Texas game all season, so I don't really know what the problem is. What's his projected draft status at this point?

If not Sweed, what guys should we be looking at to fill that flanker role? I bartend at a pretty slow bar on Saturday's, so I get to watch a ton of games but can't follow any of them close enough to evaluate any talent outside of the obvious studs. We obviously cant afford to spend a first rounder on a WR, so what bargains are there in the 2nd/3rd?

Sweed got hurt, and will miss the rest of the season. I think he'll be a star in the NFL in the right situation. I think he'll go the mid/late 2nd-early 3rd and he is the prototypical Flanker.

redskin_rich
11-07-2007, 06:13 PM
That may even be worth it depending on what the coaches think of JC after reviewing the film. If they think he can be a good/great QB, obviously I'd rather use the first rounder on a DE. But if they look at it and don't see him being our guy going forward, I would offer the first and draw up a poison pill contract for the Browns.

We can't do that unless we were willing to trade JC. Two good QB's = a bad situation. Not to mention that Cleveland is is airing it out and for good reason, their defense is giving up 30 ppg. We won't be running a wide open offense like that. JC may not be the most prolific passer but he can be a good QB, with the added dimension of having mobility. I am not thrilled with his accuracy but I do think the injuries to our WR's and the lack of practice time, with some of them, have something to do with it. JC and Cooley have a pretty good chemistry with each other and they probably have worked together the most. Unfortunately, Cooley hasn't been able to be a full time receiving threat and he has also gotten added attention, from the defenses, in the absences of Moss, ARE and another threat.

Meatsnack
11-07-2007, 07:23 PM

My two favorite big targets slated to come out are Adarius Bowman out of Arizona State and Malcom Kelly out of Oklahoma. Both are 6'4"+ and 220+ pounds who are fast, can jump, and have good hands. Both are productive in the redzone as well. Sweed is in that mold but not as fast as Kelly or Bowman in the games I watch but maybe uses his body to shield defenders a bit better. I don't suspect either Kelly or Bowman will drop to round 2, though.

skinfanjon
11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Sweed got hurt, and will miss the rest of the season. I think he'll be a star in the NFL in the right situation. I think he'll go the mid/late 2nd-early 3rd and he is the prototypical Flanker.

If he's a mid to late second rounder I think he should at least be on our short list of prospects. We should be looking at DL in the first, and best available T/WR in the second (unless there is a corner that is too good to pass on).

All that said, we'll proably go CB in the 1st and G in the 2nd, lol.

What kind of 40 time should we expect from Sweed? I've seen him go the distance plenty of times in college, and he looks swift on his feet. Is 4.45 out of the question? He reminds me quite a bit of Roy Williams, even aside from the obvious Texas connection. His size, build, and athletic ability are very similar IMO.

skinfanjon
11-07-2007, 07:58 PM
My two favorite big targets slated to come out are Adarius Bowman out of Arizona State and Malcom Kelly out of Oklahoma. Both are 6'4"+ and 220+ pounds who are fast, can jump, and have good hands. Both are productive in the redzone as well. Sweed is in that mold but not as fast as Kelly or Bowman in the games I watch but maybe uses his body to shield defenders a bit better. I don't suspect either Kelly or Bowman will drop to round 2, though.

Anybody you like that we have a more realistic shot at grabbing? I doubt we go for a WR in the first especially with how much time and money we've thrown at that position in free agency the last couple years. Im thinking WR in the second or third.

redskin_rich
11-07-2007, 08:33 PM
At this time, I don't think we should be targeting a WR with our 1st or 2nd pick. Very few WR's have an impact their first year and where we are and under our current regime, I don't think any WR we drafted would be higher than 4th on the depth chart and maybe a Kick Returner. Regardless of recent misses/failures, we need to address the WR position through free agency or trade, as far as getting a sufficient starter goes. I don't know who the free agents will be but there are also deals that can be made. Ocho-Cinco might be relatively cheap in a trade and he has friends here. He has character issues but he performs, unlike a certain #85 we have.

Good gosh, could you imagine if Reggie Wayne had been available to us? Word was that he was our #1 target but the Colts made sure he never got into our grasps.

Anyway, we need to draft on both lines with at least 2 of our 3 first day picks. If we could get Chris Long, I would be ecstatic. I don't care what he is best suited for, just put him on the field. He is a physical and mental stud, with a pedigree for both and he brings it every play. Heck, he brings it when he's not on the field.

Syllable
11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for saving me the time L703, and Crumpler is also on the way out in Atlanta. I would make sure his knees aren't going to be a long term prob. I believe I mentioned earlier this year that the offense looked better in the two TE set. Crumpler and Cooley would cause a ton of match up probs while improving the blocking. And for those 2 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB, 1 WR sets: put Cooley, Portis, Crumpler, Moss and Sellers on the field together.
Ugh, You think that we need to start growing some offensive players in DC considering the past. I've watched a couple games with Crumpler and he seems to have the dropsies sometimes.
Crumpler is a nice blocker in their system so he could block here as well. Though, as much as they want to drop Hall, it wouldn't be a smart Business decision to go that low to get him out of here.

And when the Titans were looking to deal Haynesworth before 06, we had little interest. I'd much rather sign a DE(Suggs? Spicer?) and draft a DT.
About Haynesworth, wouldn't be useless to get him since we are having success with developing Monty as a run stopper? And Suggs actually has a pretty big mouth, it wouldn't be in our best interest to get him in here also..

.[/QUOTE]

If we're so damned determined to play the Tampa-2 no matter what, then a Dline of Suggs-Monty-Draftee(Okam/Moore)-AC would be pretty solid. The ends wouldn't have to face the OGs in doubles much because of the sheer size of the DTs.

We would either need a top Draftee or someone who is experienced to take up the second DT spot. Monty hasn't shown much in terms of pressure so it would be nice to have someone in the middle who can generate some sort of pressure. Okam and Moore wouldn't be such a bad Idea, but if we would find some way to steal Long or Dorsey, ( if they happen to slip ) it would be great.

I like Long, but I'm not as high on him as y'all are. He's a 3-4 DE or the T-2 DT.

Hes a local boy and a nice Locker Room guy from what I've been reading. Also, the guy has good technique to be able to Roam around the line and have success at each position.

akhhorus
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
What kind of 40 time should we expect from Sweed? I've seen him go the distance plenty of times in college, and he looks swift on his feet. Is 4.45 out of the question? He reminds me quite a bit of Roy Williams, even aside from the obvious Texas connection. His size, build, and athletic ability are very similar IMO.

4.5-4.57 is realistic. He wasn't fast before his knee injury. His strengths are his quickness, hands, route running and intangibles. I'm a fan of his.

Ugh, You think that we need to start growing some offensive players in DC considering the past. I've watched a couple games with Crumpler and he seems to have the dropsies sometimes.

Meh. Crumpler is a top 5-10 TE in the NFL in receiving and blocking. I wouldn't hesitate to make a deal for him if we could keep our 1st.

About Haynesworth, wouldn't be useless to get him since we are having success with developing Monty as a run stopper? And Suggs actually has a pretty big mouth, it wouldn't be in our best interest to get him in here also..

As I said earlier, if we're going to run the T-2 or a hybrid of the Jags' system(C-2/3ish), we'll need another BIG DT to take up space. I don't like Haynesworth anyways.

We would either need a top Draftee or someone who is experienced to take up the second DT spot. Monty hasn't shown much in terms of pressure so it would be nice to have someone in the middle who can generate some sort of pressure. Okam and Moore wouldn't be such a bad Idea, but if we would find some way to steal Long or Dorsey, ( if they happen to slip ) it would be great.

I'm not too big on either Long or Dorsey(especially Dorsey), I would love a Frank Okam to team with Monty if we signed a DE.

skinsfan36
11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
if we can get suggs in free agency and then draft a cb,dt,wr in the first three rounds id be estatic

Meatsnack
11-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Anybody you like that we have a more realistic shot at grabbing? I doubt we go for a WR in the first especially with how much time and money we've thrown at that position in free agency the last couple years. Im thinking WR in the second or third.

The draft is such a crapshoot that I don;t doubt that between now and April it will come out that somebody rolls in catnip between games and falls. Bowman or Kelly either one could fall into the second along with Sweed. A lot depends on what happens with DeSean Jackson, Doucet, Manningham, and even Purify (speed sells even if he is a mental case) at workouts and interviews.

I think any of these guys:

Mario Urrutia - Louisville (6'6")
James Hardy - Indiana (6'6")
Marcus Monk - Arkansas (6'5")
Jaison Williams - Oregon (6'4")
Todd Blythe - Iowa State (6'5")

fit the bill as big athletic guys who can catch available 3rd round to UDFA. Some are a lot more developmental than others. Hardy, Monk and Urrutia are probably closest to ready to play.
Hardy is my favorite not in the headlines right now. He dominates his position at Indiana, was recruited to play basketball with the Hoosiers so you know he is athletic. Had 20 TDs coming into 2007 and 13 in 9 games this year breaking theall-time school record. From the IU website:had two of the best single-game performances in school history, lighting up Big Ten opponents No. 15/13 Iowa and Michigan State ... against the Hawkeyes, he made eight catches for 104 yards and three touchdowns to become the first Hoosier since Duane Gunn (Oct. 8, 1983) to record three TD receptions in a game ... followed that by becoming the first player in Indiana history and just the 11th player in Big Ten history to pick up four touchdown receptions in a game when he turned the trick against Michigan State ... became the second player in school history (Butcher) to post two games with three touchdown receptions ... caught nine passes for 151 yards and one touchdown at Purdue, his eighth career 100-yard game, tying him with Thomas Lewis (1991-93) for second on that list
Akh does a really nice synopsis of Monk HERE (http://draftacademy.blogspot.com/2007/09/25-prospects-flying-under-radar.html).
Urrutia has missed three games with turf toe so will probably be a round 4-to-UDFA guy unless he runs much better than expected at the combine. He is a four year player who catches the ball but there are desire questions.
Jaison Williams is 240# and can run so he could play WR or TE in the NFL - he has blow-up games followed by games with crucial drops but his talent is undeniable.
Blythe is big, not as fast but very good hands and a red zone maniac who scores a touchdown almost every game with Iowa State.

Redskin4Life
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't have a problem with that as long as we get a Big Flanker WR. But honestly, unless we're dumping Moss, I think that 2nd should go for a guy like Chris Williams or another OT/OG type guy.
What about Marcus Monk? I noticed that was a guy you mentioned a sleeper guy for WR.... 6'6", has good hands and is productive in his first three years. Maybe one of the FSU WRs (Fagg or Carr) or Louisville's Urrita or Carter? Any of these guys worth looking at for us with our 3rd or 5th?

Anderson will get the 1st and 3rd designation with the hope someone will bite... that'll give the Browns more first day pieces for their team, give Crennel more time as the coach, bring in Brady Quinn as the starter and gain a first rounder in this draft (since they gave up their pick for Quinn).

If no one bites, then they get their starter for this season back and can implement the "SD System" (franchise Anderson until they get a good trade offer or hand over the starting job to Quinn when he's ready).

Redskin4Life
11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I would name my first child Joe Gibbs Shah if he could get this deal done. The idea of having both Crumpler and Hall on this team would easily improve this team by leaps and bounds. I'd give them a 2nd (or 3rd and a 6th) for them in a heartbeat.

akhhorus
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
What about Marcus Monk? I noticed that was a guy you mentioned a sleeper guy for WR.... 6'6", has good hands and is productive in his first three years. Maybe one of the FSU WRs (Fagg or Carr) or Louisville's Urrita or Carter? Any of these guys worth looking at for us with our 3rd or 5th?

I'm a big fan of Monk, but he's more a fast TE than a tank of a WR. I like Carr, but you should be able to get him in the 4th round. Fagg is not much of a prospect to me. Urrita has the skills, but is a head case. Carter is RAW and probably is more a returner than anything else.

Redskin4Life
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm a big fan of Monk, but he's more a fast TE than a tank of a WR. I like Carr, but you should be able to get him in the 4th round. Fagg is not much of a prospect to me. Urrita has the skills, but is a head case. Carter is RAW and probably is more a returner than anything else.
Well with the way we use Cooley as a slot WR, couldn't we use Monk in a similar fashion? I guess what I'm asking is when you say he's a "fast TE than a tank of a WR", what's the real difference if he's going to be used as a possession receiver? He'll still be able to use his body to get great position in red zone and over-the-middle situations similar to a TE. And he'll have the speed to break it down the sidelines. Sounds like a possession guy to me.

akhhorus
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Well with the way we use Cooley as a slot WR, couldn't we use Monk in a similar fashion? I guess what I'm asking is when you say he's a "fast TE than a tank of a WR", what's the real difference if he's going to be used as a possession receiver?

Well, he has to run something better than a 4.6-4.65ish to be even a possession WR. If he can run a 4.52ish, I'd take him in a second. He's got amazing hands and route running abilities.

Redskin4Life
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, he has to run something better than a 4.6-4.65ish to be even a possession WR. If he can run a 4.52ish, I'd take him in a second. He's got amazing hands and route running abilities.
Oh so he's slower than a 4.6 guy... we'll that changes everything. I was under the impression that he's a low 4.4-4.5 guy. But I guess that would still be better than Thrash (I can't see him being faster than that).

Carr's my man then. I'd love to get him in the 5th since we don't have a 4th right now.

akhhorus
11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh so he's slower than a 4.6 guy... we'll that changes everything. I was under the impression that he's a low 4.4-4.5 guy. But I guess that would still be better than Thrash (I can't see him being faster than that).

I believe his latest 40 time was 4.64. If he runs faster than a 4.55, he'll be a first day pick.

Carr's my man then. I'd love to get him in the 5th since we don't have a 4th right now.

A few names to throw out for you:
DJ Hall from Bama
Paul Hubbard from Wisconsin
Amarri Jackson from South FLA
Bruce Hocker from Duquesne

Redskin4Life
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
A few names to throw out for you:
DJ Hall from Bama
Paul Hubbard from Wisconsin
Amarri Jackson from South FLA
Bruce Hocker from Duquesne

What do you see in Jackson... he's got average numbers for college and doesn't score TDs despite his height?

Hubbard's the same as Jackson... I don't see it through his numbers? Great technique, route runners?

Hocker's someone I can see us picking cause he's a local guy and we can get an extensive look at him.

Hall's intriguing but couldn't he end up being a first day pick?

akhhorus
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
What do you see in Jackson... he's got average numbers for college and doesn't score TDs despite his height?

Size/speed combo. He'll be a late pick anyways, but he has little risk-high reward written all over him.

Hubbard's the same as Jackson... I don't see it through his numbers? Great technique, route runners?

He's another version of Jackson, but I think he's got better intangibles.

Hocker's someone I can see us picking cause he's a local guy and we can get an extensive look at him.

Yeah, he's got some serious potential. I think he's worth the pick, and Gibbs like high production small schoolers(see Cooley).

Hall's intriguing but couldn't he end up being a first day pick?

I don't think so, especially with the swarm of WRs in this draft. He could be a high 3rd rounder maybe.

esmith1790
11-08-2007, 05:24 PM
When does the window close for draftees/developmental players? 3rd or 4th round? Since the offseason will be the end of year 4 for GIBBS2.0 and pretty much the last year of him coaching: Year 5, how much of an immediate impact will the draft have on next year? It will take a blend of FAs and picks that can come in a make a contribution right away.

You would have to think that picks 1,2,3 would be able to contribute faster then 4-7.

Is it possible that if JG knows its his last year of coaching that he wants to do the right thing and take the best player for long term versus the player that is most NFL ready to play?

hail2skins
11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
When does the window close for draftees/developmental players? 3rd or 4th round? Since the offseason will be the end of year 4 for GIBBS2.0 and pretty much the last year of him coaching: Year 5, how much of an immediate impact will the draft have on next year? It will take a blend of FAs and picks that can come in a make a contribution right away.

You would have to think that picks 1,2,3 would be able to contribute faster then 4-7.

Is it possible that if JG knows its his last year of coaching that he wants to do the right thing and take the best player for long term versus the player that is most NFL ready to play?I'm curious to see what direction they go in myself. He (Gibbs) has always said he's thinking long-term which to me means past his coaching time. It can't all be done in 1 draft and he's not responsible for a lot of the picks that were wasted before him but he and his staff has made some really bad decisions.

Depending on how this season ends, I can see them going in several directions but I'll reserve that until after the season. Right now I'm IN SEASON MODE>

Redskin4Life
11-09-2007, 08:32 AM

Is it possible that if JG knows its his last year of coaching that he wants to do the right thing and take the best player for long term versus the player that is most NFL ready to play?
While all your points make sense, I do remember JG stating that he's going to be the coach of the Skins until he rights the ship. So it wouldn't surprise me if JG stayed a year or two longer after his contract is up.

But I'd like to think that JG is thinking about the future with those later picks and not necessarily the now.

WinnpegSkinsFan
11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
A reciever I'd keep my on that we could get with a day 2 pick would be Jordy Nelson for Kansas State:
6-3 217lbs and he has caught 90 passes for over 1,200 yds so far this season. Hasn't got a great 40 time (4.6) but could be a good possession reciever.

esmith1790
11-09-2007, 05:12 PM
While all your points make sense, I do remember JG stating that he's going to be the coach of the Skins until he rights the ship. So it wouldn't surprise me if JG stayed a year or two longer after his contract is up.

But I'd like to think that JG is thinking about the future with those later picks and not necessarily the now.

thanks for the kind words, just kinda rehashing old posts. the FAs play now vs. draft picks that arent ready.

So if JC plays out the year and next year and doesnt really show improvment, do you expect them to mortgage the future with pics(ala JC) and get a new QB our try the Brunell method (ala trade).

why isnt there a developmental QB on the roster versus the old Collins/Brunell?

Why isnt the QB coach getting killed for not improving JC?

redskin_rich
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
thanks for the kind words, just kinda rehashing old posts. the FAs play now vs. draft picks that arent ready.

So if JC plays out the year and next year and doesnt really show improvment, do you expect them to mortgage the future with pics(ala JC) and get a new QB our try the Brunell method (ala trade).

why isnt there a developmental QB on the roster versus the old Collins/Brunell?

Why isnt the QB coach getting killed for not improving JC?
We did spend a draft pick on a developmental QB in Jordan Palmer, this past draft but decided to go with the two old vets instead. That will change next year. JC is coming along well with what he has to work with, I don't see why anybody should be panicking right now. I do doubt that he is ever going to be an elite passer but I think he will be a good QB and leader and worth building around.

3644Skins
11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
What's all this stuff I'm reading about D. Hall? He's one of the most overrated DB's in the game I think. Somebody enlighten me on why we should go after him please.

akhhorus
11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
What's all this stuff I'm reading about D. Hall? He's one of the most overrated DB's in the game I think. Somebody enlighten me on why we should go after him please.

Hall is overrated, but I'll take him over Springs, Smoot or Rogers right now. Especially if we can get him at 50 cents on the dollar.

greatest2
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Hall is overrated, but I'll take him over Springs, Smoot or Rogers right now. Especially if we can get him at 50 cents on the dollar.

i would take him as well, but what kind of extension will he be asking for??
he will get payed top dollar and be average....sounds familar.

akhhorus
11-13-2007, 06:17 PM
i would take him as well, but what kind of extension will he be asking for??
he will get payed top dollar and be average....sounds familar.

If we could give him a 6 years, 30 mil Danny Boy Special, I'd do it.

TheUSwagger
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Is Petrino really wanting to get rid of him that bad? If we could get him for cheap and sign him to that I would be really happy.

skinsfan36
11-13-2007, 10:58 PM
id take hall hes very fast and very good in man coverage,im not seeing springs here very much longer hall,rogers,smoot,landry,taylor would be a good secondary for along time then we can focus on the lines

greatest2
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
id take hall hes very fast and very good in man coverage,im not seeing springs here very much longer hall,rogers,smoot,landry,taylor would be a good secondary for along time then we can focus on the lines

not to sure how good he is in Man coverage. I think he is an average corner all the way around, but whats his tackling like? i would think its suspect because he has a small frame, but i really don't know.

agreed. THat would be a young secondary, plus we could draft another nickle corner in the 3rd or 4th round to help push smoot and for some more depth. We can then concentrate on the Backers, Lines, Wide outs (can't believe this isn't solved with all the money we have thrown at it.)

VegasSkinsFan
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I dont want to harp on free agents and honestly havent followed who will be available and how they are playing, but 2 names i hear are DT Hainsworth and charger cb who lost his spot to cromartie. Anyone know about them? GO SKINS !!!

Hr fan
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Agree, depending on the guaranteed money. Fill what you can in FA at CB, TE and WR, because pass rushers (Freeney) and OL (Dockery) were priced outta sight this year. Also our secondary looked pretty good in those few games the front four could generate pressure.

IMO Springs is gone, and Rogers will take a little more time to be back 100% than is being suggested. Hall is a talent and would fit given the Gibbs type of love. The secondary will look good again IF WE GET FRONT 4 PRESSURE. To this end I am intrigued by a suggestion you made in another thread - Move Montgomery to RDE and draft someone like Oakum to be Griffin's successor. I think Monty won't be handled by the RT alone, he is too strong and athletic. His size alone means he would be imposing in zone blitzing. And forget running to that side unless it is a sweep since he handles the double team so well.

If the 1st goes for a DT then the 2nd (hopefully traded for Hall/Crumpler) or the 3rd can be used on an OT or possession WR (I am wearing burgundy glasses and believe Alexander can become Thomas' heir apparent). I think on the terms that Kendall will play more than 80% of the snaps, meaning I think that we lose the 2009 4th. If the 4th, 6th and 7th are available shotgun the OL, with a prospect at SAM thrown in if available.

This scenario hangs on several threads. Will ATL trade Hall/Crumpler for what to me is a reasonable price? Can Montgomery become a RDE (Daniels replacement)? Can we afford to wait to the 3rd or lower for OL help? Is Alexander a viable OG option? I am more than interested on your take.

Redskin4Life
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Agree, depending on the guaranteed money. Fill what you can in FA at CB, TE and WR, because pass rushers (Freeney) and OL (Dockery) were priced outta sight this year. Also our secondary looked pretty good in those few games the front four could generate pressure.
I think Matt Jones aka "tall possession guy" can be had for cheap (5th or 6th) and I would love to see the scenario of Hall and Crumpler for our 2nd. The cost of FAs are going up every year and we're not going to be a player for the big names for a couple of years.

IMO Springs is gone, and Rogers will take a little more time to be back 100% than is being suggested. Hall is a talent and would fit given the Gibbs type of love. The secondary will look good again IF WE GET FRONT 4 PRESSURE. To this end I am intrigued by a suggestion you made in another thread - Move Montgomery to RDE and draft someone like Oakum to be Griffin's successor. I think Monty won't be handled by the RT alone, he is too strong and athletic. His size alone means he would be imposing in zone blitzing. And forget running to that side unless it is a sweep since he handles the double team so well.
Honestly, I don't see Springs gone... I know several of the guys on the hR believe he's out of here but I think with Rogers injury and the way FA money is getting out of control, we would be best to hang on to Springs (in my opinion, we should extend him for 5 yrs, $20M, no bonus just straight salary... that'll reduce his cap figure tremendously).

I'd keep Monty where he is and draft a DE... we need a pass rusher that can hold up against the run. No point in trying to get Monty to learn a new position when he's doing well in the position he's at. Just let him learn from Griff and get better.

If the 1st goes for a DT then the 2nd (hopefully traded for Hall/Crumpler) or the 3rd can be used on an OT or possession WR (I am wearing burgundy glasses and believe Alexander can become Thomas' heir apparent). I think on the terms that Kendall will play more than 80% of the snaps, meaning I think that we lose the 2009 4th. If the 4th, 6th and 7th are available shotgun the OL, with a prospect at SAM thrown in if available.
I'd love to see Alexander as the OG replacing Kendall in a year or two. I love what I see from him on Jumbo packages (I'm still waiting to see him in at FB). I think he could learn to be a pretty good OG under Buges.

As for finding a replacement for SAM, I think we're still a year or two away from that... especially with us running the 4-2-5 as our base. We just need another athletic LB to play Rocky's spot... we've got a guy in Blades for LF.

This scenario hangs on several threads. Will ATL trade Hall/Crumpler for what to me is a reasonable price? Can Montgomery become a RDE (Daniels replacement)? Can we afford to wait to the 3rd or lower for OL help? Is Alexander a viable OG option? I am more than interested on your take.
Since we're talking about dream scenarios, mine is to get a DE in the first, trade the 2nd for CB Hall/TE Crumpler, get an OT/OG in the 3rd, use our 5th on an DE/DT, trade the 6th for WR Jones, 7th on a DT/OG/C.

Offense:
OL: Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Heyer, Alexander, draftee, draftee
TE: Cooley, Crumpler, Yoder
WR: ARE, Moss, Jones, Thrash, McCardell, Espy, Caldwell
RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright
FB: Sellers
QB: Campbell, Palmer

Defense:
DL: Montgomery, Griffin, Carter, Evans, draftee, Golston, Wilson, draftee
CB: Hall, Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Torrence, Eubanks
LB: Washington, Baker-Fletcher, McIntosh, vet FA, K.Campbell, Blades
S: Prioleau, Landry, Taylor, Fox, Doughty

Special:
LS: Albright
K: Suisham
P: Frost

We wouldn't need Pucillo anymore with Crumpler and Alexander filling his most "important" spot (tackle eligible on goalline). We could continue with the WR corps we've been playing for most of the season to keep Campbell comfortable. Palmer can be the understudy for the Skins at QB. Evans can FINALLY break the starting lineup while the new draftee learns his position. We can bring in a vet LB to backup these guys. And we can stay CB/S heavy and finally can implement more man-to-man since we'll have a pass rush from our front four.

give_portis_the_rock
11-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll post my answer at the end of March '08, after cuts and free agency.

The nice thing is we have all three first day picks, so we don't have to focus purely on one pick. What a concept!

Don't speak too soon, you might jinx it and Danny will trade em all away! :devil2:

I think Matt Jones aka "tall possession guy" can be had for cheap (5th or 6th) and I would love to see the scenario of Hall and Crumpler for our 2nd. The cost of FAs are going up every year and we're not going to be a player for the big names for a couple of years.

Hall and Crumpler for our 2nd? Aint happening.
Hall alone is worth a high first rounder and a 3rd -- and knowing some teams, there WILL be some much more ridiculous offers than that. The Bailey Portis trade set a precedent for corners, and Hall has the potential to be even better than Champ.
And why do we need two pro bowl caliber tight ends? I think Yoder is fine as a 2nd TE.

ph33rtheD
11-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Don't speak too soon, you might jinx it and Danny will trade em all away! :devil2:

Hall and Crumpler for our 2nd? Aint happening.
Hall alone is worth a high first rounder and a 3rd -- and knowing some teams, there WILL be some much more ridiculous offers than that. The Bailey Portis trade set a precedent for corners, and Hall has the potential to be even better than Champ.
And why do we need two pro bowl caliber tight ends? I think Yoder is fine as a 2nd TE.

Hall does not command a 1st and a 3rd. And he doesn't and will not hold baileys jock. Hall is a headcase not only that but he is a man coverage corner. He is still raw when it comes to zone. The only skills that hall has that are in the same ball park with bailey is speed and man coverage skills. But as far as zone coverage, tackling, ball skills, Bailey is much better. When his career is over he may be regarded as the best CB ever. So saying hall might be better is a strech.

give_portis_the_rock
11-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Hall does not command a 1st and a 3rd. And he doesn't and will not hold baileys jock. Hall is a headcase not only that but he is a man coverage corner. He is still raw when it comes to zone. The only skills that hall has that are in the same ball park with bailey is speed and man coverage skills. But as far as zone coverage, tackling, ball skills, Bailey is much better. When his career is over he may be regarded as the best CB ever. So saying hall might be better is a strech.

I said he COULD be better as his career progresses
I don't see how a top 5 corner, who is only 23 years old (turns 24 in a few days so let's say 24), doesn't command a 1st and a 3rd. Especially when you see teams breaking the bank on corners these days.

Redskin4Life
11-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I said he COULD be better as his career progresses
I don't see how a top 5 corner, who is only 23 years old (turns 24 in a few days so let's say 24), doesn't command a 1st and a 3rd. Especially when you see teams breaking the bank on corners these days.
The only reason the Hall/Crumpler for a 2nd talk came up is cause Petrino is having difficulties with both players and both are pretty vocal about how they don't like the "youth movement" that's happening with this team. In Hall's case, he's been publicly bashing the head coach for everything he's doing... sounds like a ticket out of town the way TO did in Philly.

akhhorus
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM

As dramatically as Bailey has fallen apart this year, I seriously doubt he'll ever be in the top CB discussion ever.

greatest2
11-17-2007, 09:31 PM
As dramatically as Bailey has fallen apart this year, I seriously doubt he'll ever be in the top CB discussion ever.

completly agree. there have been better corners, with more impact, and more gifts then baily.

that doesn't mean bailey is a scrub, only that he isn't near the best ever

greatest2
11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
The only reason the Hall/Crumpler for a 2nd talk came up is cause Petrino is having difficulties with both players and both are pretty vocal about how they don't like the "youth movement" that's happening with this team. In Hall's case, he's been publicly bashing the head coach for everything he's doing... sounds like a ticket out of town the way TO did in Philly.

yes, i also read in an article a quote from him, saying that he is upset not just by the youth movement, but because it is coming at a bad time in his contract. He said he has 1 year left, and will be seriously p[aid, but that the organization doesn't want to win now (which will lower his prospects). this is why hall is upset. its all about money, and he is right, he will be seriously paid.

I can't find the article. It was on ESPN. Search d.hall and read the articles, it will be there

EDIT: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077313

Hr fan
11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
completly agree. there have been better corners, with more impact, and more gifts then baily.

that doesn't mean bailey is a scrub, only that he isn't near the best ever

Agree. We got value with Portis. He affects a game even with a subpar Oline. Bailey looks mortal when the Dline pressure isn't there, and is poor on ints (a reason he was traded). If I were to regret trading a great D back it would be Paul Krause to MINN (just testing the old floks out there).