PDA

View Full Version : Saban talking to WVU! wow

CarMike
12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
http://wbgv.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/nick-sabans-agent-contacts-wvu/
Sources close to University President Mike Garrison have informed WBGV that Nick Sabanís agent has contacted WVU regarding our vacant head-coaching position.

These sources tell us that Saban is extremely unhappy in Tuscaloosa and has failed to recapture the situation he had in Baton Rouge with LSU. The purpose of the agentís call was to express initial interest in the position and to have WVU athletics put together a compensation package enough to lure Saban from Alabama. This package would not need to be as much as Saban is currently making at Alabama, but enough to not result in a 50% paycut. So, weíre obviously talking more than the $1.9 million former coach Rich Rodriguez was making.

Again, this is all very preliminary, but solid sources have confirmed that Nick Sabanís agent has contacted West Virginia University.

Stay tuned.

CNYSkinFan
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
oh good god....really?

Why would wvu take Saban....if they get that, then perhaps Petrino can go to Alabama, and Larry Brown can decide to coach college football at Arkansas

dj_stouty
12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
This is crazy...

Next you will tell me that Saban is interested in taking on the Miami Dolphins job again...

CarMike
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
oh good god....really?

Why would wvu take Saban....if they get that, then perhaps Petrino can go to Alabama, and Larry Brown can decide to coach college football at Arkansas

I'm not sure if I'm buying it really. Could this possibly be to weasel more money out of Ala? If so, let him go Ala. lol

These coaches think the need a raise every friggen year. There's a point where Universities can't be held hostage any longer. I mean come on.

CarMike
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
This is crazy...

Next you will tell me that Saban is interested in taking on the Miami Dolphins job again...

Personally, I think WVU should look at Bud Foster, the DC for VT.

I know i'd be happy to see Foster get out of the ACC. :) He's the reason VT is what they are, not Beamer. JMO

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 12:36 PM
As much of a rat Saban is, I cannot buy that he would leave Bama for WVU.

dj_stouty
12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Personally, I think WVU should look at Bud Foster, the DC for VT.

I know i'd be happy to see Foster get out of the ACC. :) He's the reason VT is what they are, not Beamer. JMO

Foster is great...and the sooner he leaves The Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University the better! (Yes, that really is the official school name of VT)

Foster has to be at the top of many colleges lists as Head Coaching material. I was reading an article inthe Richmond Times Dispatch over the weekend and he mentioned in an interview that he isn't getting any younger and that he wants to be a Head Coach sooner than later. Apparently he interviewed for the Arkansas job? I think he would be great at WVU, and he would have a solid defense to work with. Plus, he already knows the WV, MD, VA, NC region and would bring that wealth of recruiting knowledge with him. WVU would love some of those Hampton/VaBeach/Tidewater/Norfolk recruits. Perfect fit, if you ask me.

CarMike
12-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Foster is great...and the sooner he leaves The Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University the better! (Yes, that really is the official school name of VT)

Foster has to be at the top of many colleges lists as Head Coaching material. I was reading an article inthe Richmond Times Dispatch over the weekend and he mentioned in an interview that he isn't getting any younger and that he wants to be a Head Coach sooner than later. Apparently he interviewed for the Arkansas job? I think he would be great at WVU, and he would have a solid defense to work with. Plus, he already knows the WV, MD, VA, NC region and would bring that wealth of recruiting knowledge with him. WVU would love some of those Hampton/VaBeach/Tidewater/Norfolk recruits. Perfect fit, if you ask me.

yep, pretty much. I'm surprised he's lasted in Blacksburg this long without getting a HC gig.

Farmer Ted
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Are you sure this didn't come from The Onion?

CNYSkinFan
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
If Alabama felt like Pearl Harbor and 9-11 after a loss to a weaker college team then this lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_qdtlu6h6U) better be put on suicide watch

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
There's rumors in the Palmetto state that Tammy Faye Bowden and his brother want the job.

CarMike
12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
There's rumors in the Palmetto state that Tammy Faye Bowden and his brother want the job.

akh, I've also heard rumors that Bud Foster might be heading to SCAR. You hearing the same? That would be a deadly combination.

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
akh, I've also heard rumors that Bud Foster might be heading to SCAR. You hearing the same? That would be a deadly combination.

Foster claims that Spurrier met with him to ask him to be his DC, but Spurrier denies it(and Foster saying that he went up to Blacksburg to talk to him seems unlikely since HBC was in Augusta this weekend). Supposedly the Cocks are close to hiring Ellis Johnson away from MSU.

CarMike
12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Foster claims that Spurrier met with him to ask him to be his DC, but Spurrier denies it(and Foster saying that he went up to Blacksburg to talk to him seems unlikely since HBC was in Augusta this weekend). Supposedly the Cocks are close to hiring Ellis Johnson away from MSU.

Is Ted Roof out of the running?

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Is Ted Roof out of the running?

I never heard anything linking him to it. Just Johnson, Oregron and Tenuda.

CarMike
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
You and I had talked about it once before. No biggie. I didn't think he'd go to SCAR anyways. Better candidates out there for the taking.

dj_stouty
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm not sure what Bud Foster gets in return for lying about meeting with Spurrier. He has made it clear he no longer wants to be a DC, and that '08 will most likely be the last time he coaches the Hokies' defense. If he wanted some leverage, maybe he would lie about HC interviews, but not an interview for a DC position.

WarEagle
12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Sports radio here is scoffing at the Saban-WVU report.

I just heard that Terry Bowden wants the job at WVU. He hasn't coached since 1998.

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure what Bud Foster gets in return for lying about meeting with Spurrier. He has made it clear he no longer wants to be a DC, and that '08 will most likely be the last time he coaches the Hokies' defense. If he wanted some leverage, maybe he would lie about HC interviews, but not an interview for a DC position.

Neither do I. But I know that Spurrier wasn't in Blacksburg this weekend, he was at Augusta National and made some visits/calls in that part of GA. So Foster is probably lying.

chrisbcbu
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
LOL. this story is completely false. Quite hilarious. wordpress is known for starting rumors and most treat it like the National Enquirer.

dj_stouty
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Neither do I. But I know that Spurrier wasn't in Blacksburg this weekend, he was at Augusta National and made some visits/calls in that part of GA. So Foster is probably lying.

Apparently the story is that Bud contacted Spurrier about the position over a week ago (not this weekend), in hopes that being the Gamecocks DC position would make him more attractive for a HC job down the road. When he did, Spurrier entertained the idea and offered him the job; but deep down he knew Bud wasn't going to make a lateral move anyway.

akhhorus
12-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Apparently the story is that Bud contacted Spurrier about the position over a week ago (not this weekend), in hopes that being the Gamecocks DC position would make him more attractive for a HC job down the road. When he did, Spurrier entertained the idea and offered him the job; but deep down he knew Bud wasn't going to make a lateral move anyway.

Spurrier wants an SEC guy with connections to SC anyways.

Keino
12-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Sports radio here is scoffing at the Saban-WVU report.

I just heard that Terry Bowden wants the job at WVU. He hasn't coached since 1998.

He has connections to WVU in that his Dad was the coach there in the 70's.

WarEagle
12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
He has connections to WVU in that his Dad was the coach there in the 70's.

I had to look up Terry Bowden's bio again on his website. He's an alum of WV. I forgot about that. He was very young when he took the Auburn job, but still did an excellent job, except for recruiting, I guess. My bottom line is that he would be a good, strong selection for WV. He loves the place.

nicefellow31
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
This is crazy...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! That's funny.

WarEagle
12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Interesting article in the Charleston (WV) Gazette about the HC candidates. Among them are Doc Holliday (Fla. Assoc. HC), Jimbo Fischer, and Terry Bowden. Says someone will be named sooner rather than later.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/WVU/2007121721