PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here watch WCW as a kid?

ChapelHillMatt
01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Not sure what forum to put this in but wanted to see how many wrastling fans we have.

KidBroSweets and myself watch this guy's video's all the time, brings back great memories of when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=iCON41510

NCskinsfanatic
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Not sure what forum to put this in but wanted to see how many wrastling fans we have.

KidBroSweets and myself watch this guy's video's all the time, brings back great memories of when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=iCON41510

Yeah I did and remember the NWO all though I mwas already in my 20's in the mid 90's lol. I really grew up as a kid watching Dusty, the 4 hourseman, Magnum TA and the Russians....

CarMike
01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Matt, definitely the right forum.

Man, I hated the NWO! Especially Scott Hall. lol

NCskinsfanatic
01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Well thuis far a bunch of carolina boys talking wrasslin...lol

ChapelHillMatt
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Sting and Golberg was my favorites, I hated the NWO but watching it now, they are hilarious.

And Bobby Hennan was the greatest announcer of all time.

NCskinsfanatic
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I liked Sting too, forgot about him...

dj_stouty
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I was a huge wrestling fan...and even though I fell out of the "sport" after Junior High...I got back into it during the big WWF vs. WCW vs ECW years.

Over the years...my favorites have been the 4 horsemen, The midnight Express, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair (whooo!), Roddy Piper, HHH, Jake the Snake and Sgt. Slaugher. (I actually got to meet the Sarge!)

CarMike
01-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I was a huge wrestling fan...and even though I fell out of the "sport" after Junior High...I got back into it during the big WWF vs. WCW vs ECW years.

Over the years...my favorites have been the 4 horsemen, The midnight Express, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair (whooo!), Roddy Piper, HHH, Jake the Snake and Sgt. Slaugher. (I actually got to meet the Sarge!)

I saw a documentary on Jake the Snake a couple of years ago. He was wrestling in high school gyms and Armory's. He looked pathetic, and that's putting it nicely. He is on some big time drugs. He still had damien though.

dj_stouty
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I saw a documentary on Jake the Snake a couple of years ago. He was wrestling in high school gyms and Armory's. He looked pathetic, and that's putting it nicely. He is on some big time drugs. He still had damien though.

I saw it too. (I'm a doc junkie :))

Great flick...and he had clearly lost his battle against hardcore drugs. They took over his life in a bad way.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I go way back with Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. Ric Flair, Greg Valentine, Ricky Steamboat (before he became a dragon), Baron Von Roskie, The Mighty Igor, Black Jack Mulligan, Johnny Weaver, The Minnesota Wrecking Crew......man this brought back great memories of 70's rasslin'.

CarMike
01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and Jay Youngblood were my favorite tag team ever!

I worked out in Steamboats gym in Charlotte one time. Unfortunately he wasn't there.

HAWGZHEAD
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
It was all NWA for me when I was a kid. Loved the Legion of Doom and I was a big fan of the Boogie Woogie Man and Ronnie Garvin.

CarMike
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
It was all NWA for me when I was a kid. Loved the Legion of Doom and I was a big fan of the Boogie Woogie Man and Ronnie Garvin.
Boogie Woogie Man, Jimmy Valiant. I met his wife once. She owns a flower shop in Charlotte and she bought a copier from the place I was working. I had to go in and fix a paper jam. lol Sweet lady but not very smart. That paper jam cost her over $100 dollars for a 5 minute visit.

Boogie Woogie Man had the BEST song entrance ever.

VegasSkinsFan
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I am/was a huge wrestling fan, started watching wwwe in 1971 with mcmahon announcing and doing interviews after the match ringside. Watch any wrestling i saw on tv, wcw, georgia, wccw, global wrestling, even glow haha. Didnt get into wcw seriously until the nwo, liked the idea until it grew too big. In the early 90's i met many wrestlers when my band was travelling east coast/ mid-west. Hungout with hogan, dibiase, bravo, had a couple of drinks with shawn michaels. When my band played in charlotte, ron killings (aka the truth, k-kwik) would come onstage with us and dance, he was cool too. It would be fun to keep a wrestling thread going....at least until free agency starts haha. GO SKINS !!!!!

CarMike
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I am/was a huge wrestling fan, started watching wwwe in 1971 with mcmahon announcing and doing interviews after the match ringside. Watch any wrestling i saw on tv, wcw, georgia, wccw, global wrestling, even glow haha. Didnt get into wcw seriously until the nwo, liked the idea until it grew too big. In the early 90's i met many wrestlers when my band was travelling east coast/ mid-west. Hungout with hogan, dibiase, bravo, had a couple of drinks with shawn michaels. When my band played in charlotte, ron killings (aka the truth, k-kwik) would come onstage with us and dance, he was cool too. It would be fun to keep a wrestling thread going....at least until free agency starts haha. GO SKINS !!!!!

Good stories Vegas. Must have been a blast back in those days.

Anybody watch Raw tonight? Jeff Hardy just did his finishing move off of a 17 foot steel cage! I'm still speechless. It was some type of jump with a spin. Incredible. The risks these guys of today take are incredible.

VegasSkinsFan
01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Good stories Vegas. Must have been a blast back in those days.

Anybody watch Raw tonight? Jeff Hardy just did his finishing move off of a 17 foot steel cage! I'm still speechless. It was some type of jump with a spin. Incredible. The risks these guys of today take are incredible.

Those were good times. Hardy is nuts, but that is how the game is played now. Before the 90's/internet etc, matches revolved around storylines and not stunts per se. Then the promotions would run the same story in town after town up and down the circuit, now with internet/instant tv coverage etc there is no more suspense. Here is a good one for you too, back in the early/mid 70's the wwwe ( then wwf, then wwe ) had a wrestler named "The Wolfman"..real name was Jim something. He was led to the ring on a chain leash by his manager who i think was either albano or blassie. During the match he would start to bite his opponent on the forehead, but on tv they would put this big X so we couldnt see what was happening, those were the days haha.

KidBroSweets
01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow, the people over here are so much cooler than CPND lol. We started a WCW there and they didnt care one bit.

WCW was so awesome. Me and matt watch it almost every nite lol.

My favorites were always the bad guys. I loved Scott Hall and Raven. I always got sick of the announcers LOOOOOOOOOOVING the good guys (even though the announcers are really what made it). Also, Hall was just hilarious.

ChapelHillMatt
01-07-2008, 11:39 PM
The announcers got so mad at the NWO....

Calling them COWARDS, LAME BRAINS, and accusing them of ruining the sport.

LOL

VegasSkinsFan
01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Always liked the Brain announcing, he used to make me laugh. I absolutely hate Mike Tenay. Jesse Ventura made an interesting announcer also.

bfauble83
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Man, I LOVED the NWO back in the day. I was really excited with Hall came back to TNA last month...too bad he's in horrible shape.

HAWGZHEAD
01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
After the NWA dissolved I stopped watching until around 96-97 when I started watching WWF. Those were fun times when StoneCold, ManKind and The Rock were at their peaks, I ordered all the pay-per-views around that time. Now I don't watch any of it at all.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Flair/Steamboat feuds in Mid-Atlantic Wrestling were the best. Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8wpjVebaZg

CarMike
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Mean Jean was the man! :)

Ric Flair was a great bad guy. He could really make you hate him. And he could really make you like him.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
This is for the old schoolers when rasslin' was real and not entertainment.;)
http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/Lobby.htm

HAWGZHEAD
01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
This is for the old schoolers when rasslin' was real and not entertainment.;)
http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/Lobby.htmMan, I had totally forgotten about Dusty Rhodes "Let me tell you somethin Tony Schiavonne!!" lol

redskin_rich
01-09-2008, 07:23 AM
I used to love watching NWA wrestling, Saturday evenings on TNT, as a kid. I watched WCW too but I wasn't a kid anymore.
The original 4 Horsemen (Flair, Tully Blanchard and the Minnesota Wrecking Crew of Arn and Ole Anderson), the Road Warriors (LOD), The Midnight Express, the Fabulous Freebirds... Yeah, I always liked the bad guys, except for the Russians (Ivan and Nikita Koloff, Crusher Crushev).

CarMike
01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I used to love watching NWA wrestling, Saturday evenings on TNT, as a kid. I watched WCW too but I wasn't a kid anymore.
The original 4 Horsemen (Flair, Tully Blanchard and the Minnesota Wrecking Crew of Arn and Ole Anderson), the Road Warriors (LOD), The Midnight Express, the Fabulous Freebirds... Yeah, I always liked the bad guys, except for the Russians (Ivan and Nikita Koloff, Crusher Crushev).

I couldn't stand the Iron Sheik. :)

Anybody remember George "The Animal" Steel? I'd love it when he'd chew into the corner padding. lol

Good times.

WarEagle
01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
After the NWA dissolved I stopped watching until around 96-97 when I started watching WWF. Those were fun times when StoneCold, ManKind and The Rock were at their peaks, I ordered all the pay-per-views around that time. Now I don't watch any of it at all.

Very true. When I think of the 90's I think of WWF. I saw RAW in Boston and a bunch of local pro athletes were in the front row watching it (like Nomar). Just a huge event. It was quiet a time for pro wrestling. It really isn't the same anymore, but how could it be?

HAWGZHEAD
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
The original 4 Horsemen (Flair, Tully Blanchard and the Minnesota Wrecking Crew of Arn and Ole Anderson), the Road Warriors (LOD), The Midnight Express, the Fabulous Freebirds... Yeah, I always liked the bad guys, except for the Russians (Ivan and Nikita Koloff, Crusher Crushev).Tully Blanchard was a guest preacher at a church near my house quite a few years back but i didn't go to see him for fear of him hitting me with a fist full of quarters lol.

Sweepea436
01-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Therer they are, I was wondering when someone would bring them up.:beer: Junkyard Dog, The great kabuki, The british bulldogs, Kerry Von Erich......... The good old days...... I watched again for a while when the rock and stone cold were at their peak....... but haven't in a long time.

ihatedallas
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Does anybody remember the NWO wolfpack? Where kevin nash, randy savage, and sting broke away and wore red? that was the heart of my chilhood wrestling memories. Then I transitioned to WWF i guess around 98 or 97, when mankinf, the rock, and stone cold were there..I loved DX as well. I also remmeber some of the best matches ever being the TLC(tables ladders chairs) matches with edge and christian, the dudley boys, and the hardy's...watching wrestlin now just makes me halfway between nostalgic and angry.

dj_stouty
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I forgot to mention that the Rock and Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Rickey Morton) was also one of my favorites. IMO, they are the pioneers of fast-action tag team wrestling. Quick tags, top rope jumps, high flying acrobatics, bigtime teamwork...etc. They were fun to watch. As a kid, I used to tie bandanas to my wrists and knees just like them. lol\

http://www.wrestleinfo.com/Img82.jpg

ChapelHillMatt
01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Does anybody remember the NWO wolfpack? Where kevin nash, randy savage, and sting broke away and wore red? that was the heart of my chilhood wrestling memories. Then I transitioned to WWF i guess around 98 or 97, when mankinf, the rock, and stone cold were there..I loved DX as well. I also remmeber some of the best matches ever being the TLC(tables ladders chairs) matches with edge and christian, the dudley boys, and the hardy's...watching wrestlin now just makes me halfway between nostalgic and angry.

Sting should have never went NWO, WCW was at his best when he wore the black and white.

chrisbcbu
01-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Sting should have never went NWO, WCW was at his best when he wore the black and white.

I never really considered Sting to be NWO. Even tho he was i just never wanted to believe it, and always expected him to backstab them.

Sting was one of my favs as well. But i liked the original Sting look.

I also remember the old Wrestlemania when Hogan lifted up Andre the Giant. That was awesome, just because back then it was unheard of. Nowadays they do it like its nothing. My parents used to let me order Wrestlemania on PPV for my b-day.

I watched from WCW/WWF/ECW from 86-92 then got back into with Stone Cold and as soon as stone cold left i quit watching.

I went to Raw in STL one time and on the flight back from STL to Pensacola, FL i got to sit next to Road Dogg Jesse James. That was one cool dude. He would tour around my city(where he was from) before drugs got to him, then the city wouldnt allow him anymore. Also on the same flight was Mankind, and let me tell you what that is one huge dude! Or it could be because i am short.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I loved the submission holds/techniques back in the day of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling. Johnny Weaver's Sleeper Hold (his ring entry song was "Dream Weaver"), Ric Flair's Figure Four (holding the bottom rope for extra leverage), Rufus "Freight Train" Jones (Head Butt), Baron Von Raske (The Brain Claw).....those were the days.

Sweepea436
01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I forgot to mention that the Rock and Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Rickey Morton) was also one of my favorites. IMO, they are the pioneers of fast-action tag team wrestling. Quick tags, top rope jumps, high flying acrobatics, bigtime teamwork...etc. They were fun to watch. As a kid, I used to tie bandanas to my wrists and knees just like them. lol\

http://www.wrestleinfo.com/Img82.jpg

^^^Those guys are definitely 'roiding...... Look at how much bigger and more defined they are than todays wrestlers..........

Edit: Mullets are tuff.........

dj_stouty
01-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I went to Raw in STL one time and on the flight back from STL to Pensacola, FL i got to sit next to Road Dogg Jesse James. That was one cool dude.

"Ladies and Gentlemen...children of all ages..."

halter91
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Ahhhh, the greatest move in all off wrestling.....the Russian Sicle(sickle) how ever the hell you spell it. Nikita was the man. I used to love Sting too, he might have been my favorite. The Scorpian Death Lock, the Stinger Splash. Can't forget the good old Road Warriors too. Anyone remember the scaffold match? With the Harts?

Can't forget the Piper Show when he blasted Super Fly Snuka with a Pinneapple or Coconut. Those were the goodold days.

I'm a big Rock fan, he was the best with the mic, the best ever.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DCassain21
01-19-2008, 06:10 PM
man i was a huge wrestling fan when i was a kid, bret hart was my favorite.

Syllable
01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Diamond Dallas Page( Diamond Cutter), Sting( Stinger Splash), Kevin Hall( Power Bomb), Goldberg( Spear), Giant( Throwdown?)... Just to name a few that I remember, I was way to young to remember it all though. I do remember playing WcW vs NWO revenge on the N64.

WarEagle
01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Anyone remember the many various anonymous wrestlers in the latex ski masks? They always played bad guys. They always seemed to be "from parts unknown..." They used to scare me when I was little.

They were probably wrestlers on the way up, or on the way out. Just working out their moves and serving as fodder for the big names.

DCassain21
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Diamond Dallas Page( Diamond Cutter), Sting( Stinger Splash), Kevin Hall( Power Bomb), Goldberg( Spear), Giant( Throwdown?)... Just to name a few that I remember, I was way to young to remember it all though. I do remember playing WcW vs NWO revenge on the N64.

that was a great game me and my friends would play that for hours, boy did i hate hollywood hogan in that game.

Syllable
01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
that was a great game me and my friends would play that for hours, boy did i hate hollywood hogan in that game.

I loved playing the 50 man rumbles in that game.

DCassain21
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I loved playing the 50 man rumbles in that game.

i dont rember the 50 man matches, we just played a bunch of fatal 4 ways all the time.

KidBroSweets
01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
The coolest guys in WCW were Raven and Scott Hall.........hands down.

DCassain21
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
The coolest guys in WCW were Raven and Scott Hall.........hands down.

scott hall was better when he was razor roman in wwf and i always hated raven, that freak show.

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Anyone remember the many various anonymous wrestlers in the latex ski masks? They always played bad guys. They always seemed to be "from parts unknown..." They used to scare me when I was little.

They were probably wrestlers on the way up, or on the way out. Just working out their moves and serving as fodder for the big names.

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/woods3.jpg
"Mr. Wrestling" Tim Woods.

WarEagle
01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/woods3.jpg
"Mr. Wrestling" Tim Woods.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Man, that's right up there with clowns in the fright department for me. :D

dj_stouty
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Did any of you guys own the action figures as a kid? I used to have the old school WWF rubber wrestlers who were about 12 inches tall, and i had the ring to go with it. Figures included Hulk, Junkyard Dog and hillbilly Jim.

Then they came out with smaller figures from the NWA and I eventually used the smaller figures in the older, yet larger WWF ring. i would then use my Lincoln Logs to create scaffolding above the ring for scaffolding matches. lol.

Those were the days...

The_Sonny_Of_Sammy
01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Here's something coming up for old school rasslin' fans in Hampton Roads:
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/news/?p=1590

dj_stouty
01-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Anyone remember a wrestler from the past decade named Vic Capri. I believe he was in the ECW and WWE for a while. Anyway, he now is in sales and works with my wife. lol. She met him at their company's training event this past week and she got some pretty cool stories from him about some of the WWE wrestlers.

chrisbcbu
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
One guy that used to trip me out was Doink the Clown. He reminded me of the clown from the movie/book "IT"

WarEagle
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
One guy that used to trip me out was Doink the Clown. He reminded me of the clown from the movie/book "IT"

Never heard of him, so I looked up one of his old videos from the early 90's. Wow, what a great character and theme song. I read that he had a midget clown sidekick named Dink. Brilliant!

DCassain21
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Never heard of him, so I looked up one of his old videos from the early 90's. Wow, what a great character and theme song. I read that he had a midget clown sidekick named Dink. Brilliant!

yea doink had like a midget match vs jerry lawyler, they both had 3 midgets each. the storylines were ridiculous now looking back on them.

chrisbcbu
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
yea doink had like a midget match vs jerry lawyler, they both had 3 midgets each. the storylines were ridiculous now looking back on them.

What has changed? The story lines are still ridiculous.

DCassain21
01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
What has changed? The story lines are still ridiculous.

who said they changed? i said looking back on it, i dont watch wrestling any more so i wouldn't really know the storylines but im sure they are still plenty riduculous.

Sweepea436
01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Did any of you guys own the action figures as a kid? I used to have the old school WWF rubber wrestlers who were about 12 inches tall, and i had the ring to go with it. Figures included Hulk, Junkyard Dog and hillbilly Jim.

Then they came out with smaller figures from the NWA and I eventually used the smaller figures in the older, yet larger WWF ring. i would then use my Lincoln Logs to create scaffolding above the ring for scaffolding matches. lol.

Those were the days...

Yeah, I had a ton of them. George the animal Steele, Ricky Steamboat, Snuka, Tito Santana, Jesse Ventura, Andre the giant, big john stud..... I probably had all of them.... I'm tired of typing them out! Yeah I had the ring too. We used to throw them so their feet hot and flipped over the ropes............... endlessly. Why didn't we get tired of that? lol

chrisbcbu
01-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I had a ton of them. George the animal Steele, Ricky Steamboat, Snuka, Tito Santana, Jesse Ventura, Andre the giant, big john stud..... I probably had all of them.... I'm tired of typing them out! Yeah I had the ring too. We used to throw them so their feet hot and flipped over the ropes............... endlessly. Why didn't we get tired of that? lol

Did you happen to also have the "wrestling buddies" I had Hulk and Ultimate Warrior.

http://www.rasslers.net/assets/images/SHOP_12.jpg

Sweepea436
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Did you happen to also have the "wrestling buddies" I had Hulk and Ultimate Warrior.

http://www.rasslers.net/assets/images/SHOP_12.jpg

I can't open that link here, but if they were like stuffed wrestlers, I know what you're talking about, but no, I didn't have any. I did have the thumb wrestler guys. So if THAT's what you're talking about, then yes! lol

chrisbcbu
01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I can't open that link here, but if they were like stuffed wrestlers, I know what you're talking about, but no, I didn't have any. I did have the thumb wrestler guys. So if THAT's what you're talking about, then yes! lol

Ya it is the stuffed wrestlers. I broke my bed pretending i was a wrestler with those. I gave Ultimate Warrior an elbow drop and my bed collapsed. My parents werent too happy but i thought it was funny.

VegasSkinsFan
01-25-2008, 10:41 AM

On TNA wrestling last night, they have a masked guy named Shark Boy, and for some reason he took on Stone Cold Steve Austin's persona. Funny but scary haha.

lidocaine
01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I grew up a crazy Undertaker fan. I was also a big Razor Ramon fan, and Shawn Michaels. WCW when nWo took over was great, and right before WWF took over again, I stopped watching right after Hunter Hearst Helmsley won the big belt. DX was hilarious, nWo was hilarious, good times all around, definitely brings back fond memories.

bfauble83
01-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Thumb wrestlers! Now thats some nostalgia!