PDA

View Full Version : Jim Zorn?

PennSkinsFan
01-23-2008, 01:51 PM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Redskins are interviewing Seattle Qb coach Jim Zorn for an offensive coordinator position, according to league sources. The Redskins asked premission to talk to him this week - again not the head coaching job - and flew him from the Senior Bowl in Mobile to town today, where was expected to interview at owner Daniel Snyder's house.

CNYSkinFan
01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Could be for either Fassel or Williams....

I wish they would announce a coach already

Skins7ny
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
to read the tea leaves, query what connection Zorn has to either GW or Fassel at a previous stop. I seem to remember Zorn serving as the QB coach of a team other than the Seahawks at some point, but I cannot remember whom and when. Does he have any OC experience? Puzzling choice.

SkinsfaninNJ
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Could be for either Fassel or Williams....

I wish they would announce a coach already

We do everything backwards. It could be that Fassel or Williams is on board with a Zorn interview, but why do we do everything backwards?

By the way, I have actually accepted a position with the team as water boy. I asked Snyder during the interview if he was concerned about how I may mesh with the still unhired HC, and he said it was much more important to secure me as waterboy now, and he doesn't really care what some HC thinks.

PennSkinsFan
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I like the idea of Zorn, young, energetic former QB that can probably help JC grow in many ways. Seems like Snyder is believing in this notion that he really wants JC to develop. Fassel was known for developing QBs and now Zorn. Interesting. I really like the idea of Rex Ryan. Could we actually some day have a real defensive line?

PennSkinsFan
01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I think Snyder wants to cart out with the whole team in place when he announces Fassel.

hail2skins
01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
So, the head coach isn't interviewing for his staff, the front office is. Hmmm.

You will be head coach of the Redskins and I'm assigning you your Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

hail2skins
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Snyder wants to cart out with the whole team in place when he announces Fassel.
Shouldn't the head coach pick his assistants.

ChapelHillMatt
01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I really wish we would keep Saunders, I just don't understand why we are in such a rush to get rid of him.

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
to read the tea leaves, query what connection Zorn has to either GW or Fassel at a previous stop. I seem to remember Zorn serving as the QB coach of a team other than the Seahawks at some point, but I cannot remember whom and when. Does he have any OC experience? Puzzling choice.

He was QB coach for the Lions from 98-2000, there does not seem to be any connection between he and either GW or Fassel. The closest I could come to connecting the two is that Zorn was QB coach at Boise State while Fassel was at Utah.

Its hard to know much about the guy, but he has helped Hasselbeck develope into one of the better QB's in the league. Again, I'm not sure exactly how responsible he is for that, but never the less.

I think this means we have our man and we are getting the staff in order. And it defintely spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E for Saunders either way.

Santheb
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Snyder wants an All-Jim coaching staff.

akhhorus
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Zorn is WCO guy, so this has to be Fassel. He's very good with Qbs.

fent
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Shouldn't the head coach pick his assistants.

maybe the Fassell deal is set, they just haven't announced it. if so, i can see where Mark is going that he wants this all in one fell swoop rather than dragging it on any longer.

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I like the idea of Zorn, young, energetic former QB that can probably help JC grow in many ways. Seems like Snyder is believing in this notion that he really wants JC to develop. Fassel was known for developing QBs and now Zorn. Interesting. I really like the idea of Rex Ryan. Could we actually some day have a real defensive line?

Perhaps this is what Gibbs meant by continuity...the QB position. I'm ready to push all in on Campbell, he's shown enough in the past two years to convince me we should take our shot and build around him. He still has a ways to go in terms of progresion, but if we get the right guys in here to help him (which we appear to be doing), he could really take flight in the next season or two.

HC- Fassel
OC- Zorn
DC- Ryan

Yeah, I'm cool with that.

redskin_rich
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Jim ***Censored By Spence*** Zorn?!? This is probably a Fassel pick, not that they have worked together but Zorn obviously knows the ins and outs of the WCO.

Man, this sucks. WCO and possibly a 3-4 D... Talk about blowing the whole team up and starting over.

hail2skins
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
maybe the Fassell deal is set, they just haven't announced it. if so, i can see where Mark is going that he wants this all in one fell swoop rather than dragging it on any longer.I can understand that but I thought the coach did the interviewing for his assistants, not the owner. That's my concern. Maybe he gave them names and wants them to meet, who knows with this thing.

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I really wish we would keep Saunders, I just don't understand why we are in such a rush to get rid of him.

I think its pretty clear that the FO has determined (for better or worse) that Saunders system is not the right one to maximze JC's abilities. I'm not so sure the WCO is either, I'd like to see a passing attack more similar to the Norv Turer downfield attack, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think we can expect an announcement by the end of the week for HC, OC, and DC.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I really wanted Saunders to stay... I'm not sure Zorn is qualified to be an OC

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I can understand that but I thought the coach did the interviewing for his assistants, not the owner. That's my concern. Maybe he gave them names and wants them to meet, who knows with this thing.

If the deal is in place with Fassel, then he's probably involved with the interview for OC.

techskinsfan
i was wondering about that...did fassel defintely run the WCO...i dont know if baltimore was necessarily a WCO n my memory of his giants days is pretty vague

dj_stouty
Zorn is WCO guy, so this has to be Fassel. He's very good with Qbs.

That was my first thought as well; it appears its Fassel and the WCO.

Anyone know if Jason had any similar offensive schemes when he had 4 different OC's at Auburn?

SkinsfaninNJ
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM

I think this is absolutely true. Maybe he'll do it at Six Flags or halftime or a Wizzards game.

akhhorus
01-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Anyone know if Jason had any similar offensive schemes when he had 4 different OC's at Auburn?

Borges, his coordinator in 2004(his break out year), was a WCO hybrid guy.

smave
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Borges, his coordinator in 2004(his break out year), was a WCO hybrid guy.

well thats good news

dj_stouty
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I think this is absolutely true. Maybe he'll do it at Six Flags or halftime or a Wizzards game.

Or maybe the press conference will be inside one of his Johnny Rockets locations....with American Bandstand classics playing in the background. ;)

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM

It will be interesting to see how Moss, Portis, Cooley, and Randel El respond to the WCO. They could all flourish once they grasp the concepts.

chrisbcbu

Borges kinda ran a WCO offense(Campbells senior year). Perhaps Danny saw the success of QB coach Garrett last year to an OC position so he is looking to do the same with Zorn.

Edit: I actually think on the offensive side of the ball we have the personnel for the WCO.

Dolla Bill
This has to be for Fassel. Williams never has tinkered with the WCO offense in Tennesee or Buffalo, did he?

akhhorus
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Borges kinda ran a WCO offense(Campbells senior year). Perhaps Danny saw the success of QB coach Garrett last year to an OC position so he is looking to do the same with Zorn.

Yeah, he ran a run heavy hybrid of it(much like they ran in Seattle until this past season).

Dolla Bill
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
If they were going after OC's, why not give Norm Chow a chance? Get him some REAL talent on offense.

PennSkinsFan
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Wait, here is a post from a suppossed insider at ES,

Okay, now that it's all coming out, I can tell you what I know.
Jim Zorn has emerged as the leading candidate to be Offensive Coordinator, ahead of John Ramsdell (Chargers QB coach) and Mike Shula (Jags QB coach).
Rex Ryan is a contract negotiation away from being D-Coordinator, and I'm assuming they'll outbid the Ravens for him.
The heirarchy wants to keep Byner, Bugel and Blache from the previous staff. All others are probably gone.
Snyder simply does not trust or mesh with Gregg Williams, and the debacle of '06 is what started that. The heirarchy felt Williams was arrogant, stubborn and not forthright that year, and another red flag was his horrible relationship with Ralph Wilson in Buffalo. It was too much for Williams to overcome. Just wasn't a good fit here.

followed up by this ...

Since I posted, I hear it's mayhem again.
Snyder's interviewing Zorn without Fassel! Shouldn't your next coach be there?
Fassel is in Phoenix and knows nothing yet.
Rex Ryan also knows nothing yet.
They're leaving everyone hanging, and ships might sail, including Rex Ryan's. Snyder is apparently holding all this up. Does he go back to Williams? For the moment, it's in limbo again. For the moment.

Sounds like a damn mess.

hogs86
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe the skins hired Fassel and now they are getting the coaching staff together. Just like when Gibbs made his come back. That night they showed up at Williams front door.

WarEagle
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM

I honestly think the offensive scheme back then at Auburn was give the ball to Cadillac, or give the ball to Ronnie Brown. The Giants' Brandon Jacobs was at Auburn back then and had to transfer because he never saw the ball.

redskin_rich
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
You all think the lack of a big WR hurt us before, wait until we try to run a WCO with our group of midgets.

skinfanjon
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM

followed up by this ...

Sounds like a damn mess.

If that second thing he wrote is true, I really don't know what to say. That would be absurd.

Dolla Bill
01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow. Very disfunctional indeed if its true.

akhhorus
01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
You all think the lack of a big WR hurt us before, wait until we try to run a WCO with our group of midgets.

Which makes me think that overhauling the WR position will be a priority in this offseason.

CNYSkinFan
01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Not one of us should ever laugh at the atlanta predicament....we are making them look like professionals right now

techskinsfan
01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
maybe this year we dont ignore that need

cal_junior
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
HC- Fassel
OC- Zorn
DC- Ryan

Sounds like a solid staff. Then again, so did Gibbs, Saunders and Williams . . .

nicefellow31
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM

followed up by this ...

Sounds like a damn mess.

Man that supposed ES insider does not paint a pretty picture. I did not think that the 06 performance sat well with Snyder.

Keino
01-23-2008, 02:30 PM
So, the head coach isn't interviewing for his staff, the front office is. Hmmm.

You will be head coach of the Redskins and I'm assigning you your Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

I'd guess that the Head Coach has all been decided and that guy, whoever he is has input in the process.

smave
01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
this is getting interesting

akhhorus
01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd guess that the Head Coach has all been decided and that guy, whoever he is has input in the process.

Yeah, Fassel has connections to both of these guys. Ryan in Balto and Zorn is a fellow WCO guy. I would be shocked if Snyder/Vinny just did this sight unseen from Fassel. I'm betting Fassel gave them a list of people he would want(and probably called) and Vinny/Snyder are negotiating with them.

Biggie
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Since I posted, I hear it's mayhem again.
Snyder's interviewing Zorn without Fassel! Shouldn't your next coach be there?
Fassel is in Phoenix and knows nothing yet.
Rex Ryan also knows nothing yet.
They're leaving everyone hanging, and ships might sail, including Rex Ryan's. Snyder is apparently holding all this up. Does he go back to Williams? For the moment, it's in limbo again. For the moment.
So much for Snyder learning from Gibbs.

SkinsfaninNJ
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
this is getting interesting

If by interesting you mean gut wrenching, vomit inducing, then yeah, this is very interesting.

joethefan
01-23-2008, 02:37 PM
isn't that the same thing dallas did, hire a qb to be the oc?...hmmm

dj_stouty
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Never a dull moment being a Redskins fan...

I'm so jaded right now, I'll probably take a page out of the Jets' fanbase playbook and immediately boo whoever gets hired. ;)

SkinsfaninNJ
01-23-2008, 02:41 PM

I'm so jaded right now, I'll probably take a page out of the Jets' fanbase playbook and immediately boo whoever gets hired. ;)

Its really difficult not to be jaded.

Here's the thing, this could work out with Fassel, Ryan and Zorn. But to get to that result, you have to trust that Snyder/Cerrato can put all the pieces in place and do so without alienating anyone who will be here in April. Does anyone give Snyder/Cerrato the benefit of the doubt to pull it off?

joethefan
01-23-2008, 02:42 PM
:sfight:Yeah, Fassel has connections to both of these guys. Ryan in Balto and Zorn is a fellow WCO guy. I would be shocked if Snyder/Vinny just did this sight unseen from Fassel. I'm betting Fassel gave them a list of people he would want(and probably called) and Vinny/Snyder are negotiating with them.

i concur

Redskin-4-life
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
isn't that the same thing dallas did, hire a qb to be the oc?...hmmm

I was thinking the same thing. I guess Snyder is starting to duplicate his buddy Jones

Battle Cat
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I honestly think the offensive scheme back then at Auburn was give the ball to Cadillac, or give the ball to Ronnie Brown. The Giants' Brandon Lloyd was at Auburn back then and had to transfer because he never saw the ball.
I never considered what they ran at Auburn then the west coast offense. If it was it is nothing like the west coast offense ran by NFL teams. Unless this was a run first west coast offense. They also didn't have the quick crossing patterns that you would think of with a west coast offense. J. Campbell did a lot of play action and deep passes. J. Campbell whose release is not the quickest now was even slower at Auburn and did not get rid of the ball quickly enough for a west coast offense in my opinion.

joethefan
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I guess Snyder is starting to duplicate his buddy Jones

that's why dallas fans are always saying we're always a step behind them...

KidBroSweets
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
We're winning the division next year.

silverspring
01-23-2008, 02:57 PM

followed up by this ...

Sounds like a damn mess.

Yikes. I can't believe we are talking about blowing it up on both sides of the ball. This could be a personnel nightmare.

Santheb
01-23-2008, 02:57 PM
We're going to suck this year. Snyder seems to want to take a good thing and just completely blow it up for some reason.

Redskin4Life
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM
What about the possiblity that it's still GW and AS with Zorn replacing Breaux and Burns. Don Breaux has the official title of "offensive coordinator"....

Either coaching staff could still be in play....

coffdogg
We're winning the division next year. I try to be an optimist but wow either you are joking or you know something the rest of us don"t.:dalassuk:

KidBroSweets
We're going to suck this year. Snyder seems to want to take a good thing and just completely blow it up for some reason.

A good thing? We've been extremely inconsistent over 4 years. Im not so sure it was a GOOD thing. However, I do realize that we have alot of the right pieces in place. Maybe Fassel can make a big time player outta JC and we can get over the hump.

Redskin4Life
01-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Also Lazor could move to TE coach and replace Rennie Simmons (he came with Simmons from ATL to DC)... he worked with Crumpler. Could be that we're trying to get rid of the Ol' Skool guys.

WarEagle
01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Yikes. I can't believe we are talking about blowing it up on both sides of the ball. This could be a personnel nightmare.

Maybe Dan feels that GW and AS didn't "take care" of Coach enough. Left him hanging out there at critical moments time after time. Ask yourself, if you own the Redskins: "What kind of qualities do I want in my coaching staff?" If he does blow up the staff, we should maybe try to empathize with Dan a little.

greatest2
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
who is jim zorn. they said he is good with qb's but who has he brought up? I thought Holmegran was the QB genius in seattle, so i don't think that has anything to do with Jim Zorn.

He is a west coast offensive guy huh, is that best for JC? he does have a longer release, and im not sure he has perfect accuracy altho i think it is above average. the good thing is he is tall and can take those 3 step drops and stuff and see everything and i think he is smart, and according to AK he did well in a similar system. Im not sure its best for JC, but hopefully this guy is like Jason g. and develops our bright star into something great.

JasonCampbell
01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Funny video with Zorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGZsPLDkY8

KidBroSweets
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Funny video with Zorn

ahhhhhhhahahahaha.....great video. thats hilarious.

shally
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
very righteous person.. kind of like danny wuerffel but with far more talent

LEFT handed, but has been a long term qb coach with the seahawks.. no question that he has been a major influence in the development of hasselbeck into one of the better qb's in the nfl

meshed very well with holmgren. as this will be homlgrens last year, it is a very good time for zorn to make the move up to OC.

dont be surprised if the redskin offense takes off next year that he gets a real shot at returning to seattle as HC.. but he has definitely put in the years as qb coach and is ready to move up

he should be a great mentor for JC.. far more down to earth than AS

colkurtz
01-23-2008, 05:34 PM
very righteous person.. kind of like danny wuerffel but with far more talent

LEFT handed, but has been a long term qb coach with the seahawks.. no question that he has been a major influence in the development of hasselbeck into one of the better qb's in the nfl

meshed very well with holmgren. as this will be homlgrens last year, it is a very good time for zorn to make the move up to OC.

dont be surprised if the redskin offense takes off next year that he gets a real shot at returning to seattle as HC.. but he has definitely put in the years as qb coach and is ready to move up

he should be a great mentor for JC.. far more down to earth than AS

Some good news. Let's see what this guy can do for us.

This offense the last 4 seasons hasn't exactly blow the NFL away - generally we've been way less than average overall. The prior Gibbs magic on offense looked pretty darn ordinary most of the time in Gibbs II. We struggled to score points. Not sure Saunders could be considered a success - although he probably never had full rein except at the very end.

So I'm going to give Jim Zorn the benefit of the doubt.

chrisbcbu
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Here is a pretty interesting article on Zorn from last year.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/328887_hawk24.html
Zorn never has done things the traditional way, from his days as the Seahawks' original quarterback to his rise through the coaching ranks to his current position as the team's quarterbacks coach.

"There's no question, Jim comes at things from a different perspective," said a smiling Steve Largent, Zorn's Hall of Fame teammate and favorite target from the franchise's infancy and still his best friend.

"He thinks about things differently than a normal person does."

Look no further than the Seahawks practice field for evidence of that. The drills Zorn puts his quarterbacks through are, well, "whacky," as Hasselbeck puts it.

They play dodge ball to help improve their footwork and agility in the pocket. Zorn will break out a Slip 'n Slide to help the quarterbacks work on their slides at the end of scrambles. They toss passes into small pockets in a net to help improve their touch and accuracy -- but also because Zorn knows how competitive they are by nature.

"We did a drill today where we were walking, practicing our handoffs," Hasselbeck said, shaking his head. "I haven't done that stuff since I was 12 years old.

"But then we get into practice and I felt myself getting the ball deeper to the tailback in a running drill. So, what a good drill. I really do think they help."

skinsfan36
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
this guy uses slip and slides hes atleast worth a look lol

redskin_rich
01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
This Jim Zorn talk is taking me back. As long as we're interviewing QB's from that era, where are Brian Sipe, Steve Grogan and Greg Landry these days?

Bengal224ord
01-23-2008, 11:54 PM

Wow...you are so right, Danny and Crew makes it hard to be a Fan. I have both my boys loving the Skins, but you know kids love a winner. In addition, I drive with my Big Redskins Helmet on my car and people ask all the time "What are you all doing now?" It is hard, but I bleed Burgundy and Gold.

Bengal224ord

SpicyMcHaggis
01-24-2008, 03:19 AM
So right now the situation seems pretty clear: Williams and Sauders are both gone, and we will have a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, and a new defensive coordinator (plus god knows how many changes in the roster).

Basically we are blowing the whole team up. Aside from any personal considerations about the validity of this, a few questions come to mind...
Weren't we "close"?
Didn't we have a great chance to go "all the way" (Gibbs's own words)?
Wasn't Gibbs supposed to leave us, if not with a Lombardi trophy, at least with a great base from which to build on?
Wasn't Gibbs supposed to teach Danny how to run things the proper way?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if things go in the direction they seem to be heading, Gibbs's 4 years here will have been completely and utterly useless.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
01-24-2008, 03:28 AM
So right now the situation seems pretty clear: Williams and Sauders are both gone, and we will have a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, and a new defensive coordinator (plus god knows how many changes in the roster).

Basically we are blowing the whole team up. Aside from any personal considerations about the validity of this, a few questions come to mind...
Weren't we "close"?
Wasn't Gibbs supposed to leave us, if not with a Lombardi trophy, at least with a great base from which to build on?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if things go in the direction they seem to be heading, Gibbs's 4 years here will have been completely and utterly useless.
Sometimes I just hate perspective :banghead:

SpicyMcHaggis
01-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Sometimes I just hate perspective :banghead:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any other way to look at the current situation...

smoak
01-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Jim ***Censored By Spence*** Zorn?!? This is probably a Fassel pick, not that they have worked together but Zorn obviously knows the ins and outs of the WCO.

Man, this sucks. WCO and possibly a 3-4 D... Talk about blowing the whole team up and starting over.

so THIS is what Snyder talked about the press conference when he said the words "patience" and "continuity"! I get it know...

:smash:

My friend... We are going to need to invest in a gallon of Patron for next season.

smoak
01-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Funny video with Zorn

Great. We've turned this once proud franchise into Camp Krusty.

joethefan
01-24-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see any other way to look at the current situation...

I'm sorry I might be the minority, but I'd rather a change, Danny went with Joe and no one on the team was made accountable. It was always "All of us together and we were always fighting our guts out" for 4 years. Gregg was too stubborn, which may have led to lavar, AP being gone. Too many games were lost due to clock manangement or playcalling. remember for 4 years, we all were singing the same ole song by the 11th game, "we gotta win out or were not in". when are we gonna return to knowing that were in the playoffs by the 12th game and winning the division? Then Joe goes and sets the team back two years by bringing in a whole new system when we were two games from the superbowl...WTH!!!!

Portis didn't get his legs until after the 7th game after having the entire offseason off!!! HUH? I don't know about yall but I'm for a change, I'd like to see someone get in these guys faces and see if they'll punk out or play some ball. MAybe they need to have someone get madd at them a little. But as long as Danny keeps paying everyone the kitchen sink before they catch a pass or make a tackle...it'll all probably stay the same.

Skins3
01-24-2008, 05:25 AM
not sure what is gonna happen with the team with Fassel Zorn Ryan dont see much change on the offense except for maybe the O-line and WR maybe depth at TE

on defense I see T-Sizzlie (Terrel Suggs) and lance briggs then that would give us Washingtone Briggs Fletcher Suggs great LB's there D-line worries me Griff not sure I think he could play NT Carter we know not good in the 3-4 and the only other would be Wilson and we were just starting to see what he had in the 4-3 the secondary needs help anyway but the change from 4-3 to the 3-4 makes our needs at d-line and the secondary that much more needy

I would say the team would stay together somewhat, but many players need restructuring and that maybe harder for some of the players to swallow with new coaches coming into town and not knowing their role on the team

SpicyMcHaggis
01-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Funny video with Zorn

CNYSkinFan
01-24-2008, 07:02 AM

Weren't we "close"?

I am not sure we have to blow up the whole team.

On Offense you have a good base of young (or relatively young) talent to build around. You start with Campbell, Cooley, Heyer. And you find ways to keep slightly older players like Portis, Moss, Rabach, Samuels, who can still be relatively young after a 1 year build up. Spend the next season rebuilding the offensive line and addressing a true compliment to Moss, and we are just fine.

On Defense it is a little trickier, espescially if we go with a 3-4. In many real senses wiht the loss of Taylor and the injuries to Rocky and Carlos, next year is a lost season no matter what we do. Build around Carter, Montgomery, Blades, and Landry (and Rocky and Rogers when they are healed). Address the Dline in season 1, and the back 7 in year 2. Use stop gaps in FA until then. I rather not go to the 3-4, but that is mainly because I don't like that defensive scheme. Blades and Fletcher could be the middle LB, Washington and Rocky on the outside in year 1 and transition away from washington and Fletch in year 2.

I don't think we have to totally blow up the team, but minor explosions are neccessary IMO

SpicyMcHaggis
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM

On Offense you have a good base of young (or relatively young) talent to build around. You start with Campbell, Cooley, Heyer. And you find ways to keep slightly older players like Portis, Moss, Rabach, Samuels, who can still be relatively young after a 1 year build up. Spend the next season rebuilding the offensive line and addressing a true compliment to Moss, and we are just fine.

On Defense it is a little trickier, espescially if we go with a 3-4. In many real senses wiht the loss of Taylor and the injuries to Rocky and Carlos, next year is a lost season no matter what we do. Build around Carter, Montgomery, Blades, and Landry (and Rocky and Rogers when they are healed). Address the Dline in season 1, and the back 7 in year 2. Use stop gaps in FA until then. I rather not go to the 3-4, but that is mainly because I don't like that defensive scheme. Blades and Fletcher could be the middle LB, Washington and Rocky on the outside in year 1 and transition away from washington and Fletch in year 2.

I don't think we have to totally blow up the team, but minor explosions are neccessary IMO
But all this using logic and common sense.
Keep in mind that right now absolutely nobody (and certainly not Fassel) will keep Danny and Vinny from doing anything they please.

tbfoster1
01-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Keep in mind that right now absolutely nobody (and certainly not Fassel) will keep Danny and Vinny from doing anything they please.

Lol, that got me laughing. Logic and Common sense definately seem to be foreign concepts to this organization.

CNYSkinFan
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
yeah....i guess wildly throwing around money and acting like frat boys in europe does not lend itself to logic

God help us.

smoak
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM

I'll give you JC and Cooley. Heyer is a very quality back-up and future starter (imo), and I would offer him a 5-7 year deal at a considerable discount next season (the Philly approach). Samuels has enough in the tank for a couple years, but is not an elite LT (imo). So where is this young "base"? Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Wade, and Jansen are all older, and with the exception of Kendal, injury plagued. So our "base" on the O-line is one starter and one back up.

I love Santana Moss, but he was horrifically terrible this year. This wasn't '06 where he played with some injuries and we struggled with a new system... This was udder and complete failure on the part of Moss both physically and more importantly, MENTALLY. He quit on the team and I am not just referring to the GB game. My view is that due to our cap status and his contract, he gets a year at most. Without 1M yards and 5-10 TDs he needs to be gone. Period. ARE is a nice complimentary player, but is drastically over paid. Lloyd is a complete bust. So by my count we need 3-4 WRs over the next two years. Maybe Caldwell sticks and helps a bit, but ARE and Moss are not WCO WRs (imo).

Portis is still relatively young, but there is a TON of mileage on those tires. Without the hope of continuity, I personally want him GONE (And I hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out). I'm sick of the feeling I have that he doesn't work hard. I'm sick of all the good "talk" in the offseason and then nothing to show for it but a slow start. I'm sick of a schizophrenic RB that runs with BEASTLY passion on minute and falls on minimal contact the next. I want him gone, but that aside, even if someone really likes him, Betts is older! We need at LEAST 2 RBs over the next couple years. Sellers is not only on the back nine, but the clubhouse is in sight. We need a FB.
And on defense it is MUCH, MUCH worse....

So once Dan Snyder decided to take a dump on the meaning of the word "continuity", I think you need to throw the players out with the coaches and start completely new. With good management, we would be ready to start with a freash approach in three years. Sadly, unicorns aree seen more frequently than good management at Redskins Park...

GWBlitzST
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll give you JC and Cooley. Heyer is a very quality back-up and future starter (imo), and I would offer him a 5-7 year deal at a considerable discount next season (the Philly approach). Samuels has enough in the tank for a couple years, but is not an elite LT (imo). So where is this young "base"? Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Wade, and Jansen are all older, and with the exception of Kendal, injury plagued. So our "base" on the O-line is one starter and one back up.

I love Santana Moss, but he was horrifically terrible this year. This wasn't '06 where he played with some injuries and we struggled with a new system... This was udder and complete failure on the part of Moss both physically and more importantly, MENTALLY. He quit on the team and I am not just referring to the GB game. My view is that due to our cap status and his contract, he gets a year at most. Without 1M yards and 5-10 TDs he needs to be gone. Period. ARE is a nice complimentary player, but is drastically over paid. Lloyd is a complete bust. So by my count we need 3-4 WRs over the next two years. Maybe Caldwell sticks and helps a bit, but ARE and Moss are not WCO WRs (imo).

Portis is still relatively young, but there is a TON of mileage on those tires. Without the hope of continuity, I personally want him GONE (And I hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out). I'm sick of the feeling I have that he doesn't work hard. I'm sick of all the good "talk" in the offseason and then nothing to show for it but a slow start. I'm sick of a schizophrenic RB that runs with BEASTLY passion on minute and falls on minimal contact the next. I want him gone, but that aside, even if someone really likes him, Betts is older! We need at LEAST 2 RBs over the next couple years. Sellers is not only on the back nine, but the clubhouse is in sight. We need a FB.
And on defense it is MUCH, MUCH worse....

So once Dan Snyder decided to take a dump on the meaning of the word "continuity", I think you need to throw the players out with the coaches and start completely new. With good management, we would be ready to start with a freash approach in three years. Sadly, unicorns aree seen more frequently than good management at Redskins Park...

I agree on almost all counts here. Except the offensive line. I think that by adding 1 very good backup and getting Wade healthy we have a line that should last us at least the next 3-5 years, as linemen are like golfers in that they usually play their best around 30-34.

redwolf1218
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
We do everything backwards. It could be that Fassel or Williams is on board with a Zorn interview, but why do we do everything backwards?
By the way, I have actually accepted a position with the team as water boy. I asked Snyder during the interview if he was concerned about how I may mesh with the still unhired HC, and he said it was much more important to secure me as waterboy now, and he doesn't really care what some HC thinks.

perhaps because instead of an experienced general manager, we have the youngest owner in the league and a college scout (Vinny) calling the shots while playing raquetball?

i'm bracing myself for 3 years of rebuilding the roster (again) and learning another new system (again).

SpicyMcHaggis
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah....i guess wildly throwing around money and acting like frat boys in europe does not lend itself to logic

God help us.

Sorry, no can do.
Danny fired him as well and gave his job to Vinny.

smoak
01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree on almost all counts here. Except the offensive line. I think that by adding 1 very good backup and getting Wade healthy we have a line that should last us at least the next 3-5 years, as linemen are like golfers in that they usually play their best around 30-34.

If I thought they could stay healthy, I would absolutely agree. Golfers don't have crazed 300 lb linemen punching them in the mouth every play..

CNYSkinFan
01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Sorry, no can do.
Danny fired him as well and gave his job to Vinny.
there goes the continuity evolution had going

smoak
01-24-2008, 11:13 AM
there goes the continuity evolution had going

Now that we are looking for a replacement to Jim Fassel, I really hope Danny keeps continuity in mind and doesn't replaced ALL of Fassel's assistants.

colkurtz
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Back to original thread - I like the idea of Zorn, but why would he come here to this mess?

Essentially he has been promised the same thing in a year at a team he has longstanding ties with.

shally
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Back to original thread - I like the idea of Zorn, but why would he come here to this mess?

Essentially he has been promised the same thing in a year at a team he has longstanding ties with.

up until today, he had not received any guarantee of promotion when holmgren retires.. if he is given that, then snyder would likely have to up the ante considerably for him to move

but giving zorn the job as OC without knowing who the new HC would be is risky. maybe they go young and the new HC deosnt want zorn ? not a good situation.

it will come down to what options zorn has. he has been a qb coach for 7 years at seattle. that is a long time without promotion, so he has to be pretty happy or he could have moved on by now. on the other hand, he is limited in how high he can rise with the seahawks because of past history.. maybe he gets to be OC and maybe not..

colkurtz
01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
up until today, he had not received any guarantee of promotion when holmgren retires.. if he is given that, then snyder would likely have to up the ante considerably for him to move

but giving zorn the job as OC without knowing who the new HC would be is risky. maybe they go young and the new HC deosnt want zorn ? not a good situation.

it will come down to what options zorn has. he has been a qb coach for 7 years at seattle. that is a long time without promotion, so he has to be pretty happy or he could have moved on by now. on the other hand, he is limited in how high he can rise with the seahawks because of past history.. maybe he gets to be OC and maybe not..

Yes, certainly he would be part of a package deal with Fassel, which is why the HC hiring process [as executed by Snyder/Vinny] is stuck in the mud.