PDA

View Full Version : Durant Brooks

Pages : 1 [2]

cal_junior
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
It's a punter people. Not a real football player,

Maybe not. But it's a real important football position, especially when you've struggled to find a consistent answer at the position for several years.

Chalk one up for the scouting dept.

MadDog97
10-14-2008, 09:48 PM
26 yard punt this past game ????? yeah, that might do it.....lol

I seem to recall stating during the draft that it was a waste to use a pick on a punter. I thought we were better off drafting a lineman, even a marginal one. Considering what Horton has done I am more convinced that we wasted a late rounder for this person. An offensive guard project would have been beneficial or even a DT. What a waste.

guess88
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I seem to recall stating during the draft that it was a waste to use a pick on a punter. I thought we were better off drafting a lineman, even a marginal one. Considering what Horton has done I am more convinced that we wasted a late rounder for this person. An offensive guard project would have been beneficial or even a DT. What a waste.

yeah, cause every 6th round pick gets signed and becomes a star.

bigcmr
10-15-2008, 02:29 AM
It's a punter people. Not a real football player, but a punter who couldn't do his one and only job well. Let him go to Dallas. Who cares. He may have won the Ray Guy award, but he ain't Ray Guy.

And what if he turns out to be a pro bowl punter? Then what "we should of put him on IR" Is what everyone on this bored will be crying.

WarEagle
10-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Maybe not. But it's a real important football position, especially when you've struggled to find a consistent answer at the position for several years.

Chalk one up for the scouting dept.

Can't blame the scouting dept. He won the Roy Rogers punting award or whatever they call it. As Coach said, he had a great week of practice, but lacked poise during the game. I think he's overstating his injury to make himself more marketable. Maybe he'll be ready for the NFL when he's a little older.

Keino
10-15-2008, 08:11 AM
And what if he turns out to be a pro bowl punter? Then what "we should of put him on IR" Is what everyone on this bored will be crying.

If he does than he does. He won't be a pro-bowl punter for us and he couldn't help us. That's all that matters. IR for a punter? No thanks.

Fathead
10-15-2008, 08:16 AM
He's a punter. There isn't a punter in the league who isn't replaceable. He was awful and put the D in bad situations.

Good riddance.

Moe
10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Plz tell me he doesnt end up on Dallas and turns out to be what we thought he was ganna be.

I would IR him.

From the Post:
The Associated Press reported that the Cowboys signed punter Sam Paulescu to replace Mat McBriar, who was placed on IR after breaking his foot against the Cardinals on Sunday.

Moe
10-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Can't blame the scouting dept. He won the Roy Rogers punting award or whatever they call it. As Coach said, he had a great week of practice, but lacked poise during the game. I think he's overstating his injury to make himself more marketable. Maybe he'll be ready for the NFL when he's a little older.

Yeah I don't reall see how this is the fault of the scouting department. A new punter was needed, they took the guy who was the best in college. Maybe he needs time to adjust or maybe he is just one of those guys who can't make the transition. Some guys work out, some don't but based on his college career the kid was worth a look.

Skins7ny
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Speaking of which, what would've been the consequences if we IR'ed him?
We would have had to pay his entire 2008 salary, which for a 6th-round rookie, wouldn't be much. We would have held his rights into next year, and could have had him compete for the job in camp. Apparently, we decided we have seen enough of him, period.
It's a punter people. Not a real football player, but a punter who couldn't do his one and only job well. Let him go to Dallas. Who cares. He may have won the Ray Guy award, but he ain't Ray Guy.
In his exit interview, Brooks could truthfully have said,
"I punted with Ray Guy. I know Ray Guy. Ray Guy is a friend of mine. I'm no Ray Guy". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Jack_Kennedy
Somehow I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. It's obvious he has the physical tools to be a good punter. I wonder what happened to cause them to lose faith in his ability to pull his act together.
It seemed to me that he really was unpopular with his teammates, even in training camp when he was performing well. It was clear that Suisham wanted Frost to keep the job. With so much of the punting game being mental, I wonder if maybe the locker room sabotaged this kids chances by playing with his psyche? I know he has to be mentally tough, etc., but let's face it, the guy is still a kid, playing in a strange city in strange surroundings. We were counting on him, and I wonder if he got the support that he needed to succeed. I mean, honestly, Frost got several years before he was shown the door, and he was lousy (as the Packers are finding out).
26 yard punt this past game ????? yeah, that might do it.....lol
I believe that Plackemeier shanked TWO punts for 22 yards apiece in week one for the Bills, which is what led to him being cut. I will take 26 yards over 22.

shally
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
We would have had to pay his entire 2008 salary, which for a 6th-round rookie, wouldn't be much. We would have held his rights into next year, and could have had him compete for the job in camp. Apparently, we decided we have seen enough of him, period.

In his exit interview, Brooks could truthfully have said,
"I punted with Ray Guy. I know Ray Guy. Ray Guy is a friend of mine. I'm no Ray Guy". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Jack_Kennedy

It seemed to me that he really was unpopular with his teammates, even in training camp when he was performing well. It was clear that Suisham wanted Frost to keep the job. With so much of the punting game being mental, I wonder if maybe the locker room sabotaged this kids chances by playing with his psyche? I know he has to be mentally tough, etc., but let's face it, the guy is still a kid, playing in a strange city in strange surroundings. We were counting on him, and I wonder if he got the support that he needed to succeed. I mean, honestly, Frost got several years before he was shown the door, and he was lousy (as the Packers are finding out).

I believe that Plackemeier shanked TWO punts for 22 yards apiece in week one for the Bills, which is what led to him being cut. I will take 26 yards over 22.

plackenmeier will be on a short leash, IMHO..besides, he was brooks before brooks.. ACC punter with a big leg... at least he has 2 years inthe nfl.

brooks will have a shot with someone next year. the nfl always needs punters...

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I wish him luck. He could be back here one day, who knows....

shally
10-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I wish him luck. He could be back here one day, who knows....

agree. brooks has nothing to complain about, he caused his own problems

guess88
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM

That really does speak levels about how the team, coaches, and management felt about him. If the players shunning him are true, I kinda feel for him, but you gotta earn respect to get it, and he didn't help himself at all in that regard. Wish him luck.

BurgundyNGold
10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, at least he didn't piss down the hallway at Redskins Park on the way out like Frost did. And who knows, he might be back at some point because of it.

cal_junior
10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah I don't reall see how this is the fault of the scouting department. A new punter was needed

They scouted him, and he turned out not to be ready for the NFL. Am I missing something?

colkurtz
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Punters move around a lot and are easily replaced. It's notable if you can just keep a punter for a few years. Brooks didn't have the support of his teammates - personality or did they just like Frost better?

The worst punter in the NFL so far this season is gone. Sorry to see him go but we need to improve our punting immediately and can't wait for him to get it together.

Although it's only a sixth round pick perhaps it will teach Vinny to take his chance on a DL than a kicker.

AliBabba
10-15-2008, 01:05 PM
They scouted him, and he turned out not to be ready for the NFL. Am I missing something?
I think you are.

Brooks was great in college, the best obviously. Zorn has said many times that if Brooks could kick in games like he did in practice he'd be great. So basically the scouting dep't is to blame b/c the kid kicks well everywhere but on an NFL field during a game? How should they have anticipated this?

I'm all for giving credit when due, and placing blame accordingly as well but I don't see how scouting could have determined this kid's inability to kick in pro games when he was so adept in college ones.

cal_junior
10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't see how scouting could have determined this kid's inability to kick in pro games when he was so adept in college ones.

Isn't that the point of scouting, to determine if outstanding college players will perform well in the NFL? Every time an awesome college player turns out to be a dud you can't just say "Well that's not out fault, he was good in college."

There are tons of great college players and only a small percentage of them turn out great in the NFL, figuring out which ones those are is what separates good scouting from poor scouting.

RoanokeSkin
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Good riddance. Wasted draft pick.

AliBabba
10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Isn't that the point of scouting, to determine if outstanding college players will perform well in the NFL? Every time an awesome college player turns out to be a dud you can't just say "Well that's not out fault, he was good in college."

There are tons of great college players and only a small percentage of them turn out great in the NFL, figuring out which ones those are is what separates good scouting from poor scouting.
That argument works in most places but not for punters, kickers, etc ....

Basically can the kid kick the ball? check
Can he kick the ball in the pressure of game situation? check
Can he pin it in the 20? Get hang time? Pooch? check, check, check

Beyond that there is not much to the evaluation of kickers. If this were a QB or WR I would agree with you. There are techniques, footwork, strength, agility, instincts, .... you could look for. But in the case of a punter its can he punt? This guy punted better than anyone in college, I don't see how they could have anticipated that the Sunday lights would blind him so much more than the Saturday lights did.

cal_junior
10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Beyond that there is not much to the evaluation of kickers.

That was clearly the way our FO looked at it.

AliBabba
10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
That was clearly the way our FO looked at it.
The point I'm trying to make is that you cannot scout punters like you would many other positions. Since you have not tried to dispute that I assume you agree with me.

RedskinsGuru
10-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't think a single person here is doubting Durant Brook's ability to kick the football. His biggest problem (which plagued me as well,) is his lack of confidence. It's apparent that he isn't comfortable, he's nervous, and I think he realizes he needs to get his swagger back. Because, sadly, its gone with the wind. Look at Justin Medlock, kicker drafted in the fifth round two year's ago. He lost his confidence, and never amounted to anything in the NFL, and probably never will. Confidence plays a big part in sports, and sometimes people just complete forget about that factor, its a big, big part. You lose your confidence, you lose your game.

This was the right move to bring in Plackemeier. Brooks just isn't ready, he needs to enjoy the practice sqaud (unless we put him on IR) and regain that swagger. Next year, if Plack performs well this season, we let them compete for the starting punter job throughout training camp and preseason. That, and only that, will decide Durant Brook's future with this team.

cal_junior
10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that you cannot scout punters like you would many other positions. Since you have not tried to dispute that I assume you agree with me.

Given that the position has a completely different skill-set it should be evaluated differently.

Go back and look how Ray Guy winners have fared in the NFL - the answer is not very well. So simply finding the college kicker with the best stats (clearly what the Skins did) is not the best way to ensure you get a good pro. It's seems possible that drafting punters takes more specialized work than that of other positions, and simply checking off three criteria (as you suggested) is a way to draft a guy you will soon be cutting.

The position is a challenging one to scout and the Skins, like many teams, failed at selecting the best player.

Skins7ny
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't think a single person here is doubting Durant Brook's ability to kick the football. His biggest problem (which plagued me as well,) is his lack of confidence. It's apparent that he isn't comfortable, he's nervous, and I think he realizes he needs to get his swagger back. Because, sadly, its gone with the wind. Look at Justin Medlock, kicker drafted in the fifth round two year's ago. He lost his confidence, and never amounted to anything in the NFL, and probably never will. Confidence plays a big part in sports, and sometimes people just complete forget about that factor, its a big, big part. You lose your confidence, you lose your game.

This was the right move to bring in Plackemeier. Brooks just isn't ready, he needs to enjoy the practice sqaud (unless we put him on IR) and regain that swagger. Next year, if Plack performs well this season, we let them compete for the starting punter job throughout training camp and preseason. That, and only that, will decide Durant Brook's future with this team.
I think his future with the team has been decided. He has none.

AliBabba
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I think his future with the team has been decided. He has none.

That's not necessarily true. If nobody adds him to their roster before he clears waivers he's on our IR

silverspring
10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
That's not necessarily true. If nobody adds him to their roster before he clears waivers he's on our IR

How long does that take?
Are you sure that players have to go through waivers to be moved to the IR?

AliBabba
10-15-2008, 04:21 PM
How long does that take?

Brooks was waived injured, according to a league source. Because the team used this designation, Brooks can be placed on injured reserve if/when he clears waivers.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/wrapping_up_the_day.html

redskin_rich
10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
How long does that take?
No but it is apparently the avenue the Skins took in this case. Possibly because the injury wasn't serious enough to outright IR Brooks.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/wrapping_up_the_day.html

Brooks was waived injured, according to a league source. Because the team used this designation, Brooks can be placed on injured reserve if/when he clears waivers.

I believe the waiver period last 24 hours. We'll see what happens but don't count Brooks as gone yet. Heck, Nemo is still hanging around Redskins Park, for what, nobody is quite sure.

guess88
10-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Heck, Nemo is still hanging around Redskins Park, for what, nobody is quite sure.

Maybe Danny boy is a closet Pixar fan?

shally
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
No but it is apparently the avenue the Skins took in this case. Possibly because the injury wasn't serious enough to outright IR Brooks.

I believe the waiver period last 24 hours. We'll see what happens but don't count Brooks as gone yet. Heck, Nemo is still hanging around Redskins Park, for what, nobody is quite sure.

good point.. if brooks' injury was negative on the mri, then the skins risk punishment for trying to stash a healthy player on IR.. since george allen, who had about 50 players on IR, the league has warned teams about using the IR for that purpose.. better to do it the way we did, if the injury is non verifiable or trivial...

Nomad
10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this should be merged, but it says it all.

shally
10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Not sure if this should be merged, but it says it all.

at this point, not sure it makes any difference at all...

Nomad
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
at this point, not sure it makes any difference at all...

I guess I always just look long term.
We spent a 6th round pick on him, and though he tanked a few games, many players who did have had great careers.
Hate to see us lose him.
Love to see him stashed on IR, and see what he has in camp next year.
Maybe he has resurgance, and that's one young player penciled in.
Or maybe not, of course.

greatest2
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
i also want to know.

I would like him to make it to IR. i think he can be good, certainly showed flashes. he just needs to keep practicing and he can come next year to punt and give competition.

hopefully he clears. he competes and gets better for next season.

shally
10-16-2008, 12:26 AM
i also want to know.

I would like him to make it to IR. i think he can be good, certainly showed flashes. he just needs to keep practicing and he can come next year to punt and give competition.

hopefully he clears. he competes and gets better for next season.

if plackenmeiier handles the job we wont need brooks because he is young himself.
if he cant, then my guess is we go an older veteran, so brooks is likely an odd man out also..

if i were betting i would say that brooks has seen the last of a redskin uni-- unless it is as an opponent

greatest2
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
if plackenmeiier handles the job we wont need brooks because he is young himself.

so he proves himself. we have have brooks for competition in preseason. if nothing else, he competes and gets cut. we lose nothing, and keep plackenmeiier head on straight (not that it wouldn't be anyway. but it doesn't hurt)

if he cant, then my guess is we go an older veteran, so brooks is likely an odd man out also..

again, ok, he don't work out. we get an older guy. we bring back brooks for competition. who knows, brooks shows up like he should and we get a young guy who just needed a year to really get ready. or we don't and he gets cut. cost us nothing

if i were betting i would say that brooks has seen the last of a redskin uni-- unless it is as an opponent

if i was a betting man, i would say the same thing. Brooks is done as a redskin. but that doesn't mean i don't hope he makes it throw waivers, and gets another shot next year. i won't cry myself to sleep if he didn't make it through waivers. i just don't see a downside for him making it through waivers, and i can see a downside if he doesnt (tho that down side is a slim slim chance)

WarEagle
10-16-2008, 02:42 AM

It ain't like they had the benefits of a Vulcan Mind Meld. He did great at GT, but the man chokes in NFL games.

Skins7ny
10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
The Skins list Brooks as having been released. He does not appear in the injured reserve section of their roster.
http://www.redskins.com/team/transactionList.jsp

The team's web site says that they released him with an injury settlement.
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Replace_Brooks_With_Plackemeier_25210.jsp
This means that he is off the team completely.

Waivers is a 24-hour process (depending on weekend/league holiday, etc.). He would have cleared waivers by now. We cannot re-sign him until his injury (the reason we waived him with the "injured" designation) heals.
I suspect that when that happens, he will sign to some other team's practice squad, or he will just take the rest of the year off and sign with someone for next year's camp.

I would have placed him on IR without the waived/injured designation, and kept him around to try again next year.

AliBabba
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
It's official

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/punter_brooks_is_gone.html
Durant Brooks cleared waivers, agreed to an injury settlement and is no longer with the Redskins, a team spokesman said.

The Iceman
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure by not placing Brooks on IR, but instead cutting him with an injury settlement allows us to resign him a) if he heals up in a few weeks and we want him back once he's healthy and b) if plackermeier faulters in the coming weeks and we feel Brooks would be a better option at this point.

It makes sense to waive him and bring him back in a couple weeks because we can still use him later in the year without having to burn a roster spot on an extra punter while he heals up.

Just a thought.

shally
10-20-2008, 05:59 PM
It's official

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/punter_brooks_is_gone.html

well, cerrato aint perfect no more this year...........

shally
10-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure by not placing Brooks on IR, but instead cutting him with an injury settlement allows us to resign him a) if he heals up in a few weeks and we want him back once he's healthy and b) if plackermeier faulters in the coming weeks and we feel Brooks would be a better option at this point.

It makes sense to waive him and bring him back in a couple weeks because we can still use him later in the year without having to burn a roster spot on an extra punter while he heals up.

Just a thought.

bring him back to do what ?? punt ????? no way.. not this year even if plackenmeier flames out or gets hurt...

sinskin
10-20-2008, 06:01 PM
It is what it is, he kicks a ball, that's it!

He doesn't go to bed at night going over all the plays and opposing players tendencies in his head. He doesn't creep into his bed every night nursing the bumps and bruises the other players deal with. He kicks a ball. This is all he has to think about every day and every night... kick a ball. And for alot of money I might add. THAT'S IT!

imo cya!

RedskinsGuru
10-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Plackemeier is terrible.

I'm salty that Steve Weatherford wasn't available when we had to get a punter. He was cut by the Saints yesterday. Not great, but he could get us through the season better than Fatty Placky could.

shally
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Plackemeier is terrible.

I'm salty that Steve Weatherford wasn't available when we had to get a punter. He was cut by the Saints yesterday. Not great, but he could get us through the season better than Fatty Placky could.

he will be there in a couple of weeks if we need him.. lots of punters out there all the time