PDA

View Full Version : Durant Brooks

Pages : [1] 2

CarMike
09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
His first 4 or 5 punts were awful. His last one, or that I saw, was a 54 yarder.

Hopefully the first 5 punts were nerves and the last one is what we can expect from our rookie Punter.

What was everyone elses thoughts on his first game?

Keino
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
He was one the field WAY too much.

smave
09-05-2008, 10:34 AM
idk, his kicks didnt seem THAT bad. At least he didnt shank one. Because you know if Frost had to kick that many kicks, one would of been shanked.

Moe
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd like to see him shorten/quicken his steps. Seemed to me like the Giants came fairly close to blocking more than one.

SkinsfaninNJ
09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Dude can take a hit.

fent
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
his first and third kick were bad, but the rest were decent kicks...pinned them inside the 20 twice and inside the 25 on 2 others then of course the 53 yarder.

flave1969
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
He gets a lot of hang time there were very few returnable Punts last night. I think that he did pretty well all things considered.

LATrueRedskin
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
He gets a lot of hang time there were very few returnable Punts last night. I think that he did pretty well all things considered.

I agree. I didn't see a need to complain there. He took a pretty big hit in stride, got the ball inside the 20 a couple times, and didn't really allow a return. I thought he did pretty well. I agree with Keino though: I'd like to see less punts from him lol.

guess88
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
much better hangtime than Frost. already an upgrade. agreed i'd like to see less of him though.

Ibleedburgundy
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
When I see him live at fedex I'll get a better sense of it. If a punt goes above the top of the loge level that means it has decent hang time.

Either way, Brooks looks like he can actually put some air under the ball. Our gunners were standing around the punt returner waiting for the ball to come down-something we didn't see very often with Frost.

I think he'll be pretty good. And looking at our offense he'll get two years worth of experience this year. :)

silverspring
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
He needs to improve but at least he didn't shank one. That special teams unit needs to block better.

MONK_in_HOF
09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I think he did pretty well. As others have said, improved hang time as opposed to Frosty. I think his first punt can be chalked up to nerves.

bergiemoore
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
He was the best player out there in a Skins uniform, IMO.

He looks like he'll be solid. I really liked the hang time, and the fact that there were only 21 return yards on 7 freaking kicks.

BigHairedAristocrat
09-05-2008, 01:07 PM
his first and third kick were bad, but the rest were decent kicks...pinned them inside the 20 twice and inside the 25 on 2 others then of course the 53 yarder.

I agree. Even the first and third weren't THAT bad. I am not afraid of him punting like I was with Frost. He got good hangtime on most of them too.

Farmer Ted
09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

He looks like he'll be solid. I really liked the hang time, and the fact that there were only 21 return yards on 7 freaking kicks.

If our cover guys had made the one tackle where they had McQuarters pinned back for an 8 yard loss, the #'s would be even better.

Considering that he took a hard shot right to the family jewels his second time out there, I think he did pretty good. That's got to shake anyone up a little bit. He was a little slow on the draw a few times, though.

LadyNRedskinsfan
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
We have a winner! lol

He didn't do too bad. No shanks, decent hang time. He needs to work on placement though. Get more kicks inside the 15-20.

CarMike
09-05-2008, 02:48 PM

No. That belongs to Fletcher. He was the best player on the field for us last night.

NamVet4
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
We have a winner! lol

He didn't do too bad. No shanks, decent hang time. He needs to work on placement though. Get more kicks inside the 15-20.
:honor:
A pleasure to second with enthusiasm the Lady's succinct characterization!

greatest2
09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
while his punts may not have had the distance all the time, they had great hang time.

lets face it, Net yards are all that matter. that hang time won him the ball.

skinsfaninva
09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
while his punts may not have had the distance all the time, they had great hang time.

Exactly, his net average was 34.9. I like that for his first "real" game in the Meadowlands.

Biggie
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
If he's punting that many times a game the whole season, he'll have to retire by Week 15. Leg'll probably wear out.

shally
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
No. That belongs to Fletcher. He was the best player on the field for us last night.

17 tackles

sideline to sideline pursuit

meeting jacobs in the hole time after time

youre right. he is a man's man

shally
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

agree. no jitters at all (that showed)... he is only going to get better and better

give_portis_the_rock
09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Not a lot of length, but good hang time..

GeneralDisorder
09-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Not sure how you can single Brooks out for criticism last night.

If your rookie punter is responsible for your team's only first down of the opening quarter - you have problems. And none of them Brook's fault.

Jesus - Allow the kid time to develop before you hang him out to dry...

bigcmr
09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
We made the right move keeping Brooks. He looked decent and that was his first game. Wate intill he gets more real NFL games under his belt. He will be a good punter.

skinsfan36
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
he has great hang time and punted ALOT last night. we finally have our punter. his first few punts hey hes a rook.

shally
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
he has great hang time and punted ALOT last night. we finally have our punter. his first few punts hey hes a rook.

not only that, he had his clock cleaned and still came back to punt without looking shell shocked. he looks like a winner.. and it was the experienced feagles
who actually had the only shank of the night-- in the 4th quarter

Meatsnack
09-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Brooks getting the punter job lifted a cloud of tension from my body that I didn't realize was there until afterward. Not once last night did the appearance of the punter on the field cause mining for couch foam. Frosty the Shankman could be relied upon to let nerves drive him to 1-2 absolute shanks per close contest. The guy was a nightmare. Bless you, Durant. Thanks to you my alka seltzer budget is half what it was this time last year.

saratogan
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree with the following:
Had 2b nervous - 1st game an all
Giants put on a relentless rush I add this - their goal was to BLOCK A PUNT!
He had to two poor punts, two good punts and 1 long punt. Two he set inside the 20.

Considering the Giants desire to block him, he was a rookie, he did very well. I hope to see steady improvement from him in next couple of weeks.

28thegreat
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
The stat that won me over was 7 punts and only 21 return yards. We've gotten fooled into thinking that the only way a punt qualifies as "good" is if it goes fifty yards. Frosty's problem is that the way he kicks, the ball goes line drive fifty yards (when he doesn't shank it.) but the return team brings it back twenty yards every time. The other night, Redskins were consistently on the hip of the kick returner waiting for the ball to come down. He doesn't out kick the coverage. A little more length would be outstanding, but not at the expense of hang time.

smoak
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
giants stadium is an awfully tough place to kick. i thought the kid did a good job and started to settle in... i loved the hang time. it was nice to see coverage guys down field.

Patrick
09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
giants stadium is an awfully tough place to kick. i thought the kid did a good job and started to settle in... i loved the hang time. it was nice to see coverage guys down field.

Couldn't agree more. Brooks will improve as the season goes on. My fear is - he being the only one that improves.

Nomad
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
1. If he punts that much all year he'll need a robotic leg.
2. I saw alot of fair catches, usually w/coverage team RIGHT in guys face. It is about hang time and letting coverage get there as much as distance.

Slobberknocker
09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
The Green Bay game should be extra interesting.

JasonCampbell
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Zorn just explained why he was yelling at Brooks after the 52 yard attempt.

Brooks made sure everyone was ready, looked back at Suisham, Suisham nodded, and Brooks put up his hand, signaling to Albright to snap it. The only problem was the ref was standing over the ball. In essence, he had to do everyone over again, throwing off Suisham's rhythm. It basically iced him, LOL.

rskinsfan10
09-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Brooks made sure everyone was ready, looked back at Suisham, Suisham nodded, and Brooks put up his hand, signaling to Albright to snap it. The only problem was the ref was standing over the ball. In essence, he had to do everyone over again, throwing off Suisham's rhythm. It basically iced him, LOL.Thanks for sharing that. The replay showed a clean snap and hold, so I was really confused as to why he was given him the business on the sidelines. He must have been laying it on good because I noticed an assistant coach come by and tap Zorn on the butt, essentially telling him "enough".

JasonCampbell
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing that. The replay showed a clean snap and hold, so I was really confused as to why he was given him the business on the sidelines. He must have been laying it on good because I noticed an assistant coach come by and tap Zorn on the butt, essentially telling him "enough".

Chick Hernandez said he was watching the whole thing and it was between 60-90 seconds of giving him the business.

InsomniaKiller
09-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I noticed before the field goal attempt, Suisham looked like he was ready for the snap and thought it was coming, and then had to kind of stop and go back and get ready again. It looked weird, and I guess might have something to do w/ Brooks getting yelled at on the sideline. . . ?

(edit: sorry, didn't realize it had already been explained! I guess that was it, then.)

LATrueRedskin
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Brooks made sure everyone was ready, looked back at Suisham, Suisham nodded, and Brooks put up his hand, signaling to Albright to snap it. The only problem was the ref was standing over the ball. In essence, he had to do everyone over again, throwing off Suisham's rhythm. It basically iced him, LOL.

Thanks for that. Rookie mistake it looks like.

Patrick
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM

AGREE - teams are doing great when the punter nevers gets on the field.
As far as Brooks today - no problem and if he learns from his mistakes then he heading in the right direction. Until he cost us a game he a non issue for me.

saratogan
09-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Just hope he is pretty much out of finding major rookie mistakes to make.

I think he has some mental jitters, which in his job is a POTENTIAL major issue.

What was good was when we were in a pinch he boomed one with great hang time. Even the short ones had good hang times.

I just hope he starts to settle down, however.

InsomniaKiller
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
His punt right before halftime may very well have been a points-saver.. We'll never know if Arizona would've scored if given a shorter field to work with, and that's a good thing.

CarMike
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't know why Zorn was in his face after Swishy missed his 52 yarder. The hold looked as good as it could have. If Zorn wants fuss at someone why not the guy who missed the kick?

Cutter
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I was wondering that too. Maybe there was a problem pre-snap? I was trying to read his lips as he tore Brooks a new one and then talked with some staff. I believe they're bring people in today.

guess88
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I was wondering that too. Maybe there was a problem pre-snap? I was trying to read his lips as he tore Brooks a new one and then talked with some staff. I believe they're bring people in today.

I still don't see why we don't have Collins hold. It gives us trick play option if it ever came to it, and I think that was his job during the JG era

Skins3
09-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I read zorns lips and I read "If you ever do that again you will be outta here tomorrow."

Cutter
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
The only thing I can think of is that Albright only has one guy catching his snaps. Brooks should be really used to it coming at him. They can practice together while Collins helps coach or throw balls to people or buy movie tickets for other players using his senior citizen discount.

Cutter
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I read zorns lips and I read "If you ever do that again you will be outta here tomorrow."

Nice job. Any idea what he did?

redwolf1218
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice job. Any idea what he did?

Zorn explained it all on the post game interview. He iced the kicker by messing up his routine and making him start over, because the official was still standing over the ball while Brooks was going thru the pre-snap motions.

Zorn went to Brooks later in the locker room to talk to him about it and it's all okay now, he said Brooks is not on a try-out basis, he is our punter, and he will continue to improve. Brooks said he was scared, he thought Zorn was going to throw his head phones on him (i guess that would hurt?).

shally
09-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Zorn explained it all on the post game interview. He iced the kicker by messing up his routine and making him start over, because the official was still standing over the ball while Brooks was going thru the pre-snap motions.

Zorn went to Brooks later in the locker room to talk to him about it and it's all okay now, he said Brooks is not on a try-out basis, he is our punter, and he will continue to improve. Brooks said he was scared, he thought Zorn was going to throw his head phones on him (i guess that would hurt?).

frosty did not exactly have a booming night for the pack last night either...

we need to give brooks more time

redwolf1218
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
frosty did not exactly have a booming night for the pack last night either...

we need to give brooks more time

i agree. i think if Brooks gets as much time as Frost has had, Brooks will be much better.

shally
09-22-2008, 11:14 PM
i agree. i think if Brooks gets as much time as Frost has had, Brooks will be much better.

the only question is the mental aspect of it.. he has all the physical tools in the world to be a fine punter... as yoder said to him, he was born to punt..lol

redwolf1218
09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
the only question is the mental aspect of it.. he has all the physical tools in the world to be a fine punter... as yoder said to him, he was born to punt..lol

as all college players will learn when they get into an NFL game, the pressure and the speed is much greater. plus the official NFL ball is the only football that is 3 pounds...all the others are lighter and smaller. the next one in line is the college ball at 2 1/2 pounds. not sure if that matters for punters, but we've all seen lots of college QB's mis-handle it.

shally
09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
as all college players will learn when they get into an NFL game, the pressure and the speed is much greater. plus the official NFL ball is the only football that is 3 pounds...all the others are lighter and smaller. the next one in line is the college ball at 2 1/2 pounds. not sure if that matters for punters, but we've all seen lots of college QB's mis-handle it.

i knew the pro ball was slicker and feels harder. i did not know there was that great a weight difference

guess88
09-23-2008, 01:39 AM
i knew the pro ball was slicker and feels harder. i did not know there was that great a weight difference

And to think JC can launch it 60 yards in the air....

greatest2
09-23-2008, 04:52 AM
And to think JC can launch it 60 yards in the air....

off balance, while trying to put touch.

i wonder how far he can throw it. you know, just launch it. for fun.

im thinkin 70 yards easy, maybe 75. dare i say 80?

redbamaskins
09-23-2008, 05:08 AM
i just wondering why zorn felt the need to let a nervous rookie handle such an important part of the game. i think collins would have been a better fit

greatest2
09-23-2008, 05:11 AM
i just wondering why zorn felt the need to let a nervous rookie handle such an important part of the game. i think collins would have been a better fit

usually punters do it cause they are used to catching the ball from a distance away. also they are used to the long snapper and catching the ball. the downside is it doesn't give a credible passer in there in case you fake. used to be back up QBs hold. not so much anymore for the above reason.

i think we need to seriously consider putting Colt in there for this. he will be around longer so can get stable. but im not sure. Did brooks do it in college? i would think so, but i don't know. 2 weeks, 2 screw ups. comeon baby

redwolf1218
09-23-2008, 07:04 AM
i agree with using the backup QB for holding, but i think another reason we sont see it is because when they are in practice, they need to hang around the coach and learn, or take reps, while the special teamers can go practice kicks and punts.

redskin_rich
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM

3 lbs? Where did you get that info? I have a replica right here and if it weighs 1 lb, I would be surprised. I know it's not an official ball but there is no way that the ball weighs that much unless they are loading 2 lbs of lead into it.

redwolf1218
09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
3 lbs? Where did you get that info? I have a replica right here and if it weighs 1 lb, I would be surprised. I know it's not an official ball but there is no way that the ball weighs that much unless they are loading 2 lbs of lead into it.

you are right. accoring to wikipedia, the college and nfl balls are both the same size and weight. i could have sworn i read somewhere that the official NFL ball was bigger, and filled to higher psi, but after checking into it i found out i was mistaken. i could have sworn i had heard it was a difficult transition for kickers and QB's with smaller hands. soory for the misinformation. so much for that theory.

Weight of Football without air = 411 g

Weight of Football with Air = 421 g

Patrick
09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
you are right. accoring to wikipedia, the college and nfl balls are both the same size and weight. i could have sworn i read somewhere that the official NFL ball was bigger, and filled to higher psi, but after checking into it i found out i was mistaken. i could have sworn i had heard it was a difficult transition for kickers and QB's with smaller hands. soory for the misinformation. so much for that theory.

Weight of Football without air = 411 g

Weight of Football with Air = 421 g

Only difference is the strips.

hail2skins
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
The kid kicked a 60 yarder yesterday and had two inside the 20. Keep improving Brooks.

shally
09-29-2008, 09:35 AM
The kid kicked a 60 yarder yesterday and had two inside the 20. Keep improving Brooks.

and his holds were flawless all game.. i think he has passed the crisis

InsomniaKiller
09-29-2008, 09:36 AM

I was worried he had outkicked the coverage on that long one, but our special teams coverage on kickoffs and punts has been outstanding all year. Brooks stepped up and played great.

We made Felix Jones look downright *awful* on returns yesterday.

(The punt return by Reggie Bush, I consider Brooks at fault for an awful punt, not the coverage team.)

stonebraker
09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
People were far too critical of our ROOKIE punter early in the season. People need to remember that we drafted this kid not to lose us games in December, a la Derrick Frost. You guys should see what the Packers fans are saying about him today.

Keep up the good work Brooks, and keep improving so sometime in a December, whether or not its this year, you can hit some clutch punts

AliBabba
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
People were far too critical of our ROOKIE punter early in the season. People need to remember that we drafted this kid not to lose us games in December, a la Derrick Frost. You guys should see what the Packers fans are saying about him today.

Keep up the good work Brooks, and keep improving so sometime in a December, whether or not its this year, you can hit some clutch punts

I am very, very happy to see the marked improvement by Brooks yesterday but I disagree that the criticism he received was undeserved. When you spend a draft pick on a punter you are not drafting someone to simply "not lose games."

We spent a draft pick on Durant Brooks and for that reason all the criticism he received he deserved. Read his own comments about his play the first three games and see if he thinks it was undeserved. He had some conversation with his father who reminded him he was the best punter in the country (last year) b/c he was so down on his own performance. I think we are entitled to have felt let down by him as well.

However, having said that, when we needed him the most, yesterday, he came through big with that 60+ yarder. I hope he put the Aints and 'Zona games behind him now and has the very productive year everyone is expecting him to have.

redwolf1218
09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
just to play devil's advocate...according to espn's nfl stats leaders, i was surprised to see that we are ranked #32 in punt yardage average. i think Brooks will be good, but he needs to keep improving.

in other leaders, we have Campbell, Moss, Portis, and Fletcher among the top five in each category they are representing.

edit: and Horton is tied for 2nd with 3 int's.

redwolf1218
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I am very, very happy to see the marked improvement by Brooks yesterday but I disagree that the criticism he received was undeserved. When you spend a draft pick on a punter you are not drafting someone to simply "not lose games."
We spent a draft pick on Durant Brooks and for that reason all the criticism he received he deserved. Read his own comments about his play the first three games and see if he thinks it was undeserved. He had some conversation with his father who reminded him he was the best punter in the country (last year) b/c he was so down on his own performance. I think we are entitled to have felt let down by him as well.

However, having said that, when we needed him the most, yesterday, he came through big with that 60+ yarder. I hope he put the Aints and 'Zona games behind him now and has the very productive year everyone is expecting him to have.

i agree on all accounts...i am glad he's had some bright spots, but i also expect much more from him.

bergiemoore
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I was worried he had outkicked the coverage on that long one, but our special teams coverage on kickoffs and punts has been outstanding all year. Brooks stepped up and played great.

We made Felix Jones look downright *awful* on returns yesterday.

(The punt return by Reggie Bush, I consider Brooks at fault for an awful punt, not the coverage team.)

The biggest difference between Brooks and Frost is hang time. Frost is the king of the 60 yard line drive. Brooks seems to be able to get it up there, and this really allows the coverage unit to disrupt their protection long before the return man ever gets the ball.

His muffed punt in the Saints' game was not just a short kick, but one with almost no hang time, hence the big return.

cal_junior
09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Only difference is the strips.

Does the NFL still use the "K ball"? Because if they do that would be a HUGE difference for a kicker used to kicking broken-in balls.

NamVet4
09-29-2008, 12:41 PM
...the fact that there were only 21 return yards on 7 freaking kicks.

That's a compliment to the entire ST effort! Big improvement over Frost...

hail2skins
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
just to play devil's advocate...according to espn's nfl stats leaders, i was surprised to see that we are ranked #32 in punt yardage average. i think Brooks will be good, but he needs to keep improving.

in other leaders, we have Campbell, Moss, Portis, and Fletcher among the top five in each category they are representing.

edit: and Horton is tied for 2nd with 3 int's.I believe a lot of that is based on scenario for punting. If you're punting from deep on your side of the field alot, then your yardage may be higher. but if you around the 50 and you're trying to pin them deep, it will affect your yardage.

redwolf1218
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I believe a lot of that is based on scenario for punting. If you're punting from deep on your side of the field alot, then your yardage may be higher. but if you around the 50 and you're trying to pin them deep, it will affect your yardage.

true, there are lots of other variables listed, like net return yards, punts inside the 20, total number of punts, etc... but they just use the average distance to rank them (similar to how there are lots of variables on defense, but they just use yards allowed). so with this yardstick used, as of right now Brooks is last in the league.

i like the guy and i think he'll get better. it's only 4 games in, so if he can put together a string of booming punts like that 60 yarder, he will climb up the list.

guess88
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I believe a lot of that is based on scenario for punting. If you're punting from deep on your side of the field alot, then your yardage may be higher. but if you around the 50 and you're trying to pin them deep, it will affect your yardage.

Exactly what I was thinking. Technically, in some cases, wouldn't a low punt yardage average be a good thing, meaning the offense isn't backed up near their own endzone all the time? Where did the Patriots stand on that stat last year?

JasonCampbell
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Pretty terrible game for Brooks. He had two punts around midfield and one went to the 20, the other around the 23. Wasn't Brooks supposed to be solid at pinning guys inside the 20?

On the plus side, it looks like Suisham is finally feeling comfortable with him.

Skins7ny
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Pretty terrible game for Brooks. He had two punts around midfield and one went to the 20, the other around the 23. Wasn't Brooks supposed to be solid at pinning guys inside the 20?

On the plus side, it looks like Suisham is finally feeling comfortable with him.

Brooks did not have a good game. He has been disappointing so far, I thought he would be ready to step in and punt well consistently. However, he definitely has shown promise, demonstrating the ability to punt for distance out of his own end zone, the ability to boom high and get great hang time, and the ability to place kicks inside the 20. We have to be patient with this guy, he is most talented punter to come through here in years. If we are patient with him, he will be getting Pro Bowl consideration by next season, and will make it by 2010.
usually punters do it cause they are used to catching the ball from a distance away. also they are used to the long snapper and catching the ball. the downside is it doesn't give a credible passer in there in case you fake. used to be back up QBs hold. not so much anymore for the above reason.

i think we need to seriously consider putting Colt in there for this. he will be around longer so can get stable. but im not sure. Did brooks do it in college? i would think so, but i don't know. 2 weeks, 2 screw ups. comeon baby

I don't think Brennan can hold until he is No. 2 on the QB depth chart. The No. 3 guy cannot take the field, he is declared ineligible until one of the other 2 QBs gets injured in a game.

shally
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM

agree. he still hasnt needed to boom one out of his end.. after the td return, it looked like he was kicking it higher to let the coverage team get down there

shally
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think Brennan can hold until he is No. 2 on the QB depth chart. The No. 3 guy cannot take the field, he is declared ineligible until one of the other 2 QBs gets injured in a game.[/QUOTE]

exactly right.. and i guess collins doesnt hold.. but no problems on the holds today..

hail2skins
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Sometimes, punts aren't about distance but hang time even though it isn't a long kick. Let's not forget that this is a rookie punter we have. Let's give him some time like we gave ....

Skins7ny
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Sometimes, punts aren't about distance but hang time even though it isn't a long kick. Let's not forget that this is a rookie punter we have. Let's give him some time like we gave ....

Right. The key stats for punters are net average and Ins 20. Punters are usually ranked by gross average, which is misleading.

We can give Brooks until next training camp to show that he is the guy we thought he was when we drafted him. As long as he doesn't hurt us too much this year, I can live with his growing pains. He will be a Pro-Bowl caliber punter for the next 15 years and be a big help to our defense.

shally
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Right. The key stats for punters are net average and Ins 20. Punters are usually ranked by gross average, which is misleading.

We can give Brooks until next training camp to show that he is the guy we thought he was when we drafted him. As long as he doesn't hurt us too much this year, I can live with his growing pains. He will be a Pro-Bowl caliber punter for the next 15 years and be a big help to our defense.

weak game, but nothing catastrophic.. on the other hand, his holds were just fine..

JasonCampbell
10-12-2008, 03:10 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/18/books/cover600span.jpg

shally
10-12-2008, 03:16 PM
i think he is gone this week...

but, the defense failed us in the end today as well.. this was a 3 phase screw up

Lavar703
10-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Paging Derrick Frost

3644Skins
10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Pretty sure some punters will be in DC tomorrow. Brooks had one good punt today, that 54 yarder and that was it. That 26 yarder killed us. The 3 turnovers and sloppy play didn't help either.

silverspring
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
We can't give up on him yet. To help put it in perspective, frost is on the verge of being canned as well.

cal_junior
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I can't really see us cutting a drafted rookie after six games.

shally
10-12-2008, 03:28 PM

if he was alone.. maybe.. but there were a lot of goats today..

NCskinsfanatic
10-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I think you give him time...

Lavar703
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
We can't give up on him yet. To help put it in perspective, frost is on the verge of being canned as well.

Good, maybe we can get him back

Dolla Bill
10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Give him time? Are you guys serious? Its punting. Its not complicated. Its not learning a playbook. Your coach tells you what to do, and you execute. If you cannot, you get replaced. Its that simple.

colkurtz
10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Durant Brooks will be let go this week. He's had enough time and there's plenty of punters available who've had enough time bagging groceries that want to come back to the game.

Brooks is punting very inconsistently and costing us points.

ihatedallas
10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Not saying whether he deserves it or not, but i'm sure he'll be the scapegoat this week.

cal_junior
10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Give him time? Are you guys serious? Its punting. Its not complicated. Its not learning a playbook. Your coach tells you what to do, and you execute. If you cannot, you get replaced. Its that simple.

The 'K' ball takes time for kickers/punters, there's a reason why awesome college kickers (Nugent, for example) look terrible when they first get to the the league.

cal_junior
10-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Durant Brooks will be let go this week.

Wanna bet?

colkurtz
10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Wanna bet?

Yes, I'll bet a cold beverage if we ever meet at the tailgate or a game.

Punting is very much a mental game. I'm saying Brooks will be let go and unfortunately will be punting somewhere else. He's lost his confidence and concentration. The team has given him more than the normal time period to get his mojo back. That's my bold statement and 1.3 cents [inflation] of prediction. Perhaps I'm dead wrong.....

BTW, I have nothing against him and was really hoping he'd be the long-term punter for this team.

fent
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
that thump sound you hear is me practicing my punting in the alley behind my house ;)

cal_junior
10-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Punting is very much a mental game. I'm saying Brooks will be let go and unfortunately will be punting somewhere else. He's lost his confidence and concentration. The team has given him more than the normal time period to get his mojo back. That's my bold statement and 1.3 cents [inflation] of prediction. Perhaps I'm dead wrong.....

BTW, I have nothing against him and was really hoping he'd be the long-term punter for this team.

Given that Zorn came out and specifically said he wasn't going to put Brooks' job on the line every week and that the Skins used a draft pick on the kid I say there is ZERO chance he is cut this week. The guy had two 50 yarders and another where he pinned the Rams inside their 20. One crappy punt isn't going to do it.

guess88
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Brooks might be a scapegoat, but he didn't lose the game. We played one of the worst offense and defense in the league.. the way I see it, Brooks shouldn't have ever even seen the field. Not saying he did well today, but this was a team loss. Portis and Horton showed up to play... nobody else really did.

colkurtz
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Given that Zorn came out and specifically said he wasn't going to put Brooks' job on the line every week and that the Skins used a draft pick on the kid I say there is ZERO chance he is cut this week. The guy had two 50 yarders and another where he pinned the Rams inside their 20. One crappy punt isn't going to do it.

I guess our bet is on then. Again, I've got nothing against Brooks. Zorn is always going to back up his player in public - especially when he's trying to bolster his rookie's confidence.

If my memory isn't mistaken he had two mediocre-to-poor kicks this game. No one is going to dump a punter for one play. The commentators said Brooks has been punting very inconsistently and also wondered if Zorn would keep him. There's too many good punters out there who can give you consistent execution - even if we used a draft pick on Brooks.

JasonCampbell
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
http://theredskinsblog.com/

“We have to improve our punting or we’re gonna be in trouble every game. Either we bring someone in to compete we get our punter — who’s a young guy — to improve.”

This may not be the fire and brimstone, death from on high, eviscerating commentary that people were hoping for, but it’s a far cry from Zorn’s previous let’s-give-the-kid-some-time approach. I would be shocked if there’s not at least someone in for tryouts on Tuesday.

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Durant shouldn't even have to see the field...........

I've been a supporter of the guy and was hoping he do good things, but he is letting us down big time. For every one good/decent game, he has 2 terrible ones. :doh:

guess88
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Durant shouldn't even have to see the field...........

I've been a supporter of the guy and was hoping he do good things, but he is letting us down big time. For every one good/decent game, he has 2 terrible ones. :doh:

I feel the exact same way. I still think he can do it, he's just doubting himself too much. Someone needs to talk to him and give him a self esteem boost or something. Maybe yellow shoes.

But yeah... he should've never even had to punt today.

GWBlitzST
10-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Do you really, REALLY think they are going to cut the punter after week 6 with no backup in place? A guy they drafted? Come on, I know it was a tough loss, but come ON.

shally
10-12-2008, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=GWBlitzST;1153170]Do you really, REALLY think they are going to cut the punter after week 6 with no backup in place? A guy they drafted? Come on, I know it was a tough loss, but come ON.[/QUOT

maybe not, but they will bring punters in for tryouts this week, i betcha

GWBlitzST
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=GWBlitzST;1153170]Do you really, REALLY think they are going to cut the punter after week 6 with no backup in place? A guy they drafted? Come on, I know it was a tough loss, but come ON.[/QUOT

maybe not, but they will bring punters in for tryouts this week, i betcha

The kid is 22 years old. Let's give him a week or two more.

Skins7ny
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think he will be cut this week. I have been a big supporter of his, and I still think we should give him time, but I have to admit that I am very disappointed. I hope he turns it around soon.

Durant Brooks will be let go this week. He's had enough time and there's plenty of punters available who've had enough time bagging groceries that want to come back to the game.

Brooks is punting very inconsistently and costing us points.
He had two short punts that rolled for yardage and will look good in the stats. He had another punt that was excellent. And he had an extremely poor punt near his own end zone when we really needed him to boom one.

In other words, a typical Derrick Frost day in a Redskins uniform.

The 'K' ball takes time for kickers/punters, there's a reason why awesome college kickers (Nugent, for example) look terrible when they first get to the the league.
Good point. I hope he adjusts soon.
Brooks might be a scapegoat, but he didn't lose the game. We played one of the worst offense and defense in the league.. the way I see it, Brooks shouldn't have ever even seen the field. Not saying he did well today, but this was a team loss. Portis and Horton showed up to play... nobody else really did.

I thought Marcus Washington and Kedric Golston had excellent games. London Fletcher played very well too, as did Randle-El and Betts. Rogers and Springs also came to play.

JasonCampbell
10-12-2008, 05:11 PM
How do coaches evaluate punters? Frost (er Brooks), had one good punt if you watched the game (which was returned for 30 yards). On paper, he had 3 good ones and a shank.

shally
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
How do coaches evaluate punters? Frost (er Brooks), had one good punt if you watched the game (which was returned for 30 yards). On paper, he had 3 good ones and a shank.

he actually outkicked his coverage on one of the long ones.. gave hall a chance to make some moves and return it.. there is a huge amount of coordination needed between punter and coverage team

guess88
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I thought Marcus Washington and Kedric Golston had excellent games. London Fletcher played very well too, as did Randle-El and Betts. Rogers and Springs also came to play.

You're right about them, I was rash, and Portis and Horton were the only players that stood out in my mind at the time. The only player you mentioned I'd discount is maybe ARE, but he's become hard to criticize. He drops some gimmes and does nothing as a PR, but he usually comes up with at least 1 clutch catch a game.

They say on the deep ball to Avery someone blew their blitz assignment. I really wonder who that was. Game shouldn't have come down to that anyway.

shally
10-12-2008, 05:17 PM
You're right about them, I was rash, and Portis and Horton were the only players that stood out in my mind at the time. The only player you mentioned I'd discount is maybe ARE, but he's become hard to criticize. He drops some gimmes and does nothing as a PR, but he usually comes up with at least 1 clutch catch a game.

They say on the deep ball to Avery someone blew their blitz assignment. I really wonder who that was. Game shouldn't have come down to that anyway.

by the way, Avery was the only receiver taken in the draft BEFORE thomas..
he was the first one taken overall

guess88
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM

Interesting, always thought Thomas was the first. Gotta give him credit for the catch, he had to adjust a bit for that. Not sure why Torrence was on an island with him though. Either way... as Blache explained it, someone missed their blitz assignment, which should've added pressure and either a sack or quickly thrown ball that would've probably ended as an incompletion.

colkurtz
10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Do you really, REALLY think they are going to cut the punter after week 6 with no backup in place? A guy they drafted? Come on, I know it was a tough loss, but come ON.

I never said this was about punting badly in one game or one bad punt. Brooks has been punting completely inconsistently this whole season. He knew he was on the edge and said so last week to the WP. The commentators of this game [ Moose and his partner] said he was punting badly and said it was hurting the team and doubted he would last much longer. So says the Zorn, who may bring in competition or someone new. Punters are replaced quickly in this league. That's the way it goes - even if he was drafted.

joethefan
10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I say dial up some guys....show the kid that he'd better play with some consistancy or else

shally
10-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Interesting, always thought Thomas was the first. Gotta give him credit for the catch, he had to adjust a bit for that. Not sure why Torrence was on an island with him though. Either way... as Blache explained it, someone missed their blitz assignment, which should've added pressure and either a sack or quickly thrown ball that would've probably ended as an incompletion.

zorn said there were blown coverages and someone didnt blitz..

plus, he had to follow avery a long time and it was one of those darn come back routes.. those are the hardest to defend.. reggie brown of the eagles killed us last year the same way

colkurtz
10-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I personally hope Brooks makes it on our team.. HOWEVER, we can't keep a punter who costs us points -either due to poor short kicks [free FG's] or line drive kicks that allow long run-backs by the PR.

joethefan
10-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I personally hope Brooks makes it on our team.. HOWEVER, we can't keep a punter who costs us points -either due to poor short kicks [free FG's] or line drive kicks that allow long run-backs by the PR.

I agree...

guess88
10-13-2008, 02:30 AM
zorn said there were blown coverages and someone didnt blitz..

plus, he had to follow avery a long time and it was one of those darn come back routes.. those are the hardest to defend.. reggie brown of the eagles killed us last year the same way

yeah, the coverage actually wasn't bad by Torrence, just more of a good play by the receiver. He's the dime corner.. he covered about as well as you'd expect a dime corner to. Though lots of people might build him up as a scapegoat as well, it's the missed blitz assignment (who was supposedly Moore) that blew up the design of the play. I like Moore, but he's not going to be anything more than a special teams player if he freezes up like that.

hail2skins
10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Give him time? Are you guys serious? Its punting. Its not complicated. Its not learning a playbook. Your coach tells you what to do, and you execute. If you cannot, you get replaced. Its that simple.If it's so easy, why don't you go tryout. You look at it as easy relative to other positions on the team. If it was all about bombing the ball, I think this kid would be good. It's not, there's technique in directional kicking as well as trying to pin a team deep.

hail2skins
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I'll say one thing about Brooks. He bought down the high snap he got so Sweetsome could nail that field goal.

RedskinsDave
10-13-2008, 08:38 AM
They made a mistake when they kept Brooks. Frost was good for 3 of 4 where Brooks is the opposite and even the ones he hits well, they are too far and he outkicks the coverage.

Keino
10-13-2008, 09:03 AM
They made a mistake when they kept Brooks. Frost was good for 3 of 4 where Brooks is the opposite and even the ones he hits well, they are too far and he outkicks the coverage.

Thing about that is that IMO he out-punted Frost during the open competition. So how do you justify keeping Frost if you agree with the above statement?

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
looks like brooks era is done here in DC.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/cerrato_there_will_be_a_new_pu.html

cerrato has already said someone else will be punting when we play cleveland, though we have yet to release brooks

Skins7ny
10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Cerrato just announced on his show that the Skins will have a new punter Sunday, although Brooks has not been cut yet. They will bring in 2-3 guys for tryouts today, he did not identify them. I wonder if Brooks sticks on our practice squad. If I am him, I join some other team's PS.
He was drafted by Billy Devaney, who used to be one of Bobby Beathard's top lieutenants with us during Gibbs 2.0. It was a big surprise that he went so early.
I say dial up some guys....show the kid that he'd better play with some consistancy or else
JTF, I think it is the opposite. I think he knows that he has to be more consistent, and he is pressing from week to week. He did not handle the pressure well. He lost the job because of his head, not because of his leg.
I'll say one thing about Brooks. He bought down the high snap he got so Sweetsome could nail that field goal.
Yeah, Johnston/Siragusa/Albert missed that completely. That was a bad snap, and he handled it very well. Ironic that he makes a nice play on that in his last game in a Skins uni.
Brooks or no, Frost needed to be out of here. As they are finding out in GB, he is not what you want in an NFL punter. We gave Brooks way too much time here.

Biggie
10-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Cerrato just announced on his show that the Skins will have a new punter Sunday, although Brooks has not been cut yet. They will bring in 2-3 guys for tryouts today, he did not identify them. I wonder if Brooks sticks on our practice squad. If I am him, I join some other team's PS.
I'm not sure how I feel about Cerrato announcing these kinds of things the morning after a game. Seems unprofessional.

smave
10-13-2008, 09:38 AM
thank god the kid is going.

i had high hopes for him, but after yesterday, when he kicked that 26 or 28 yard punt out of bounds, i decided he needed to be let loose.

Im sorry, but im PRETTY SURE that they can pay me half his salary and i can go out there and kick a 30 yard punt..lol

cal_junior
10-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Cerrato announcing these kinds of things the morning after a game. Seems unprofessional.

No kidding. Did somebody name him special teams coach when I wasn't looking?

And I hope you're all prepared to watch Durant Brooks play in several Pro Bowls wearing somebody else's uniforms. That's what patience like this gets you.

SkinsfaninNJ
10-13-2008, 09:41 AM

And I hope you're all prepared to watch Durant Brooks play in several Pro Bowls wearing somebody else's uniforms. That's what patience like this gets you.

Teams change kickers and punters all the time. Its not like other positions. He has had more than a quarter of the season. He may get better, but let some other team take that chance. Its time to move on here. This is a step in the right direction. Now I want to hear someone else will be returning punts next week.

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 09:41 AM

so youd rather us hesitate? we need to get this new guy in here whomever it may be. i wonder if the new punter will also be our holder, if so he has a week to get some sort of chemistry with albright and suisham...

smave
10-13-2008, 09:44 AM
so youd rather us hesitate? we need to get this new guy in here whomever it may be. i wonder if the new punter will also be our holder, if so he has a week to get some sort of chemistry with albright and suisham...

i would expect Collins to come in and hold

cal_junior
10-13-2008, 09:52 AM
He may get better, but let some other team take that chance. Its time to move on here. This is a step in the right direction..

The issue is that the team used a draft pick (who was in charge of that department?) that they are tossing away after six games. Anybody we bring is will be unemployed for a reason, so the chances are we'll be getting an average punter at best.

The ceiling for this kid is much higher than anybody off the street, which is why I think we should wait a few more games. It just feels very knee-jerk, especially coming the morning after a loss. How about bringing a few guys in for a competition and letting THE COACHING STAFF make the call.

native skin
10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I guess this is why you don't draft punters. Not saying we would have gotten a keeper in his draft spot but its looking like we wasted a pick here. Shame...

Biggie
10-13-2008, 10:01 AM
No, I'm saying that the general manager of the team shouldn't be broadcasting this for all and sundry not 24 hours after the game's ended. If you're going to announce that someone else is punting next Sunday, do it after you've cut the guy and don't embarrass him in front of the whole region while he's still on the team. That's not classy or dignified at all.

BurgundyNGold
10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
It's the semblance of action in the wake of discontent, lol. But it sure seems pretty Spurrieresque to lose to a clearly inferior, 0-4 team and then fire the punter, though, lol.

bergiemoore
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
It's the semblance of action in the wake of discontent, lol. But it sure seems pretty Spurrieresque to lose to a clearly inferior, 0-4 team and then fire the punter, though, lol.

If Brooks had had only one poor showing, I'd agree. However, he had more than enough opportunity over the last 5 weeks to show improvement and consistency. The only consistency he showed was the ability to consistently cost the Skins points.

This was overdue.

Keino
10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
The issue is that the team used a draft pick (who was in charge of that department?) that they are tossing away after six games. Anybody we bring is will be unemployed for a reason, so the chances are we'll be getting an average punter at best.

That's kind of my thinking, but the guy in charge of that department has spoken.

I don't like the Brooks scapegoating personally. He is not the reason we lost this game. He didn't help, but he isn't the cause either.

InsomniaKiller
10-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm ok with watching Brooks in the Pro Bowl at some point in the future if it means I'm watching the Redskins in the playoffs this year instead of the Cowboys or Eagles.

How often does a punter cost the team a game? Did Brooks cost us the game yesterday? Certainly debatable, but he definitely did his part to help us lose.

smave
10-13-2008, 10:20 AM
That's kind of my thinking, but the guy in charge of that department has spoken.

I don't like the Brooks scapegoating personally. He is not the reason we lost this game. He didn't help, but he isn't the cause either.

he hasnt helped us at all this year honestly.

Keino
10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Todd Saurbrun is available I think. The dude can punt, but I am not sure his staus with the NFL with his steroid issues.

I went to WVU with the guy and I can tell you his work ethic is there. He would definitely offer a solution to our punting woes and he can kickoff (very well I might add).

BurgundyNGold
10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
If Brooks had had only one poor showing, I'd agree. However, he had more than enough opportunity over the last 5 weeks to show improvement and consistency. The only consistency he showed was the ability to consistently cost the Skins points.

This was overdue.
So, only after a loss do we take this action? Clearly, the team had to know that a rookie punter was going to have ups and downs. If anything, they should have kept crappy Frost and let this kid mature.

Brooks didn't lose us the game against the Rams. Neither did Torrence, nor Kendall. Generally, no one person loses a game -- especially against a bad team. It was the turnovers we made and the inability to generate our own. If we had played that way against Dallass, we would've lost by 21.

I don't particularly care for Brooks but, to me, this is a diversion from the real reasons we didn't compete well against the Rams.

Moe
10-13-2008, 10:29 AM

How on Earth did he find time to do this with a radio show to prepare for? Focus Vinnie, c'mon man.

Keino
10-13-2008, 10:31 AM
So, only after a loss do we take this action? Clearly, the team had to know that a rookie punter was going to have ups and downs. If anything, they should have kept crappy Frost and let this kid mature.

Brooks didn't lose us the game against the Rams. Neither did Torrence, nor Kendall. Generally, no one person loses a game -- especially against a bad team. It was the turnovers we made and the inability to generate our own. If we had played that way against Dallass, we would've lost by 21.

I don't particularly care for Brooks but, to me, this is a diversion from the real reasons we didn't compete well against the Rams.

Agreed, except the keeping Frost part. He was a turd. I am willing to live with the Rook's Turdificance while he got settled.

Moe
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Todd Saurbrun is available I think. The dude can punt, but I am not sure his staus with the NFL with his steroid issues.

I went to WVU with the guy and I can tell you his work ethic is there. He would definitely offer a solution to our punting woes and he can kickoff (very well I might add).

Saurbrun has a monster leg, but also a monster ego and a litany of issues (which include a monster liver, if you get my drift) and as you said, he might not be available due to the juice. Were it up to me, I'd pass on him.

Keino
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Saurbrun has a monster leg, but also a monster ego and a litany of issues (which include a monster liver, if you get my drift) and as you said, he might not be available due to the juice. Were it up to me, I'd pass on him.

From a pure football perspective, he is the best out there. It's the other stuff he brings to the table.......

I used to play B-ball every-night from about 9PM - Until Midnight while I was student at WVU. Todd would spend that entire time (also every night) practicing his punting. It got to the point where he would speak to us and us to him because we would see each other so much during that time period.....

shally
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
From a pure football perspective, he is the best out there. It's the other stuff he brings to the table.......

I used to play B-ball every-night from about 9PM - Until Midnight while I was student at WVU. Todd would spend that entire time (also every night) practicing his punting. It got to the point where he would speak to us and us to him because we would see each other so much during that time period.....

maybe he has one last season in him ??

and cerrato is truly a douchenozzle

shally
10-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Agreed, except the keeping Frost part. He was a turd. I am willing to live with the Rook's Turdificance while he got settled.

agree... frost has not exactly been all pro at green bay

question is who will now hold, and whether this shakes up suisham ??

InsomniaKiller
10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
agree... frost has not exactly been all pro at green bay

question is who will now hold, and whether this shakes up suisham ??

Coincidentally, I heard on the radio (no, not Vinnie's show!) that Green Bay is bringing in some punters this week as well.

Keino
10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
On LaCanfora's blog, someone just posted that Zorn has backtracked on Vinny's comments from this morning and has indicated that Brooksie may be hurt and destined for IR. This reminds me of the shenanigans Gibbs used to pull.......Which I am ok with by the way.....

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
On LaCanfora's blog, someone just posted that Zorn has backtracked on Vinny's comments from this morning and has indicated that Brooksie may be hurt and destined for IR. This reminds me of the shenanigans Gibbs used to pull.......Which I am ok with by the way.....

Zorn on the Punting Situation

Dan Steinberg reports:

Jim Zorn's Monday press conference began with repeated questions about the punting situation, and he seemed less certain than Vinny Cerrato that a punting change was inevitable.

Zorn said that rookie Durant Brooks is getting an MRI today for a sore quadriceps in his kicking leg that has been bothering him for some time, which could affect the situation. He also said the team had arranged for other punters to come in for auditions based on Brooks's performance, but that Brooks would have an opportunity to win that competition. There is "absolutely" a chance that Brooks could be kicking next weekend, Zorn said.

"Here's the deal, I would say his position's in jeopardy because of performance, not because of injury, because of performance," Zorn said. "He may be the best guy out there, and then we'd have to continue to work. The thing is, he punted well all week long, he got to the game and he didn't punt well. So we know he's a good punter, but a good punter also punts in the game good and he did not."

Zorn said he didn't want to "falsify" or contradict what Cerrato had said this morning, and he suggested that Cerrato's certainty about a change was based on Brooks's injury.

"I think if you read what he said in context it was just assuming that [Brooks] was down," Zorn said. "We already had contacted some punters to come in regardless of the injury, the punters were coming in, so I think those two factors could help Vinny say that in context."

Zorn also said that, if a punting change is made, the new punter would have to have experience as a holder, and that the punter job is the "biggest question mark" on the roster.

Who else is available?

SkinsfaninNJ
10-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Our weakest spot right now is punting (the punter and the coverage) and punt return. I don't know where we rank in either, but it has to be near the bottom. We are losing the field position battle BADLY this year.

To make matters worse, since we lack the home run threat, we have to put together 12 play drives to score. Its great for time of possession, but it gives too many opportunities for bad plays.

Keino
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Who else is available?

Sauerbrun and Feagles are the two household names that are out there right now.

shally
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Sauerbrun and Feagles are the two household names that are out there right now.

put brooks on IR.. he will be ready for next year.. no reason to lose him

then sign one of the 2 above

smave
10-13-2008, 12:35 PM
i would feel good bout signing Either of those two guys.

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Feagles is currently punting for the Giants, isn't he?

Keino
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Feagles is currently punting for the Giants, isn't he?

You are correct.....

NCskinsfanatic
10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I hope they do IR Brooks, because I dont see a legitimate punter available that would be more than a place holder, meaning we're right back to square one next year.

cal_junior
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Not sure I like that our GM comes out in the morning and says "Brooks won't be punting next weekend" and then a few hours later the HC says essentially "Brooks might punt next weekend."

That's some disorganized nonsense right there that makes the franchise look a little all over the place. Not that I'm surprised, given this FO, but still . . .

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Not sure I like that our GM comes out in the morning and says "Brooks won't be punting next weekend" and then a few hours later the HC says essentially "Brooks might punt next weekend."

That's some disorganized nonsense right there that makes the franchise look a little all over the place. Not that I'm surprised, given this FO, but still . . .

well, no one knew about brooks having a lingering quad injury when cerrato said that either...an injury that hasnt showed up on injury reports either, hope we dont get busted by the league for that, even though other teams get away with it week after week

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/ryan_plackemeier_and_josh_mill.html#more

2 punters we're bringing in tomorrow and one more possible/unconfirmed...

my question is, why is dallas looking for punters?

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/ryan_plackemeier_and_josh_mill.html#more

Word is McBriar was hurt during the block yesterday.

shally
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM

i believe so..

bergiemoore
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM

I think that Brooks would have been gone regardless of the outcome of the game. Every rookie has ups and downs, but Brooks became way too expensive. The two traits the Skins were trying to remedy in the punting game by bringing in Brooks were the lack of consistency and hang time.

I don't know of anyone who is blaming Brooks for this loss. He certainly contributed. The simple fact is, in 4 out of the last 5 weeks, he has cost the Skins a lot of field position, and in at least 3 of those games, points, whether it was from missing a hold on a field goal or a shallow pooch punt to an explosive returner. The punting position is too important to try and stick with a guy who is clearly not mature enough to consistently perform.

There was talk about working toward an injury settlement with Brooks, pending the result of an MRI on his kicking leg. Perhaps they'll bring him back in the offseason to compete.

shally
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM

all of them are solid.. plackemeier was pretty good in seattle.. he kept us pinned back in the playoff game, as i recall. the others are mature punters..

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah, i think thats the case. it completely slipped my mind when i asked the question, though i was watching the game when it happened. i just read mcbriar is on crutches today and had to be carted off the field

bergiemoore
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
all of them are solid.. plackemeier was pretty good in seattle.. he kept us pinned back in the playoff game, as i recall. the others are mature punters..

I do remember that. Boy, I would love to see some consistency at that position right about now.

cal_junior
10-13-2008, 01:54 PM
So it looks like our prize will be the guy not good enough to win the job in Green Bay. Awesome.

guess88
10-13-2008, 01:56 PM
put brooks on IR.. he will be ready for next year.. no reason to lose him

then sign one of the 2 above

I really hope this is the move they make. Brooks has a lot of potential, just lacks the nerves. If a year on IR to get into NFL shape is needed, so be it. He has tremendous upside, just needs to learn to believe in himself.

NCskinsfanatic
10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
So it looks like our prize will be the guy not good enough to win the job in Green Bay. Awesome.

well look at it this way that guys no worse than Frost either lol...

Skins7ny
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM

One of the thoughts that sprang to mind when David Akers missed that kick against us a couple of weeks ago in Philly was Norv saying, "See! I told you Akers can't kick in this league!". Same thing is likely to happen with Brooks. His problems are all in his head at this point, and chances are pretty good he will reach his potential once he gets the mental part of the game solved. I don't think it helped that Frost was apparently pretty popular here, and that Suisham and others seem to have frozen Brooks out socially (no pun intended), leaving the rookie without much-needed support. Not making excuses for the kid, but I think he will rebound and have a productive career like Akers did. I just hope we don't spend the next 10 years looking for a good punter, like we did with Akers at the PK position.

The ceiling for this kid is much higher than anybody off the street, which is why I think we should wait a few more games. It just feels very knee-jerk, especially coming the morning after a loss. How about bringing a few guys in for a competition and letting THE COACHING STAFF make the call.
you never know with punters, there may be some on the street who have the leg to excel but haven't put the mental part of the game together. But I agree with you, I think it would be a mistake to part ways with Brooks, if that is what we do. I would rather IR him and give him another shot next year.
No, I'm saying that the general manager of the team shouldn't be broadcasting this for all and sundry not 24 hours after the game's ended. If you're going to announce that someone else is punting next Sunday, do it after you've cut the guy and don't embarrass him in front of the whole region while he's still on the team. That's not classy or dignified at all.
Apparently, the players came in this morning wondering what was going on. The Zorn presser further mixed the signals. Not professional at all.

Sauerbrun is a mental patient. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

I hope someone asks Brian Mitchell about Sauerbrun on the radio today.

Red Bear
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I really hope this is the move they make. Brooks has a lot of potential, just lacks the nerves. If a year on IR to get into NFL shape is needed, so be it. He has tremendous upside, just needs to learn to believe in himself.

id hold up on the IR thing for right now. though it might be a possibility. matt terl of the redskins blog is saying the team is expected to reach an injury settlement with brooks, which actually could land him on IR briefly until a settlement is reached. so if he does go on IR it might not be for the season

smave
10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
i would love to see Scott Player come in. Hes got a boot and i love seeing him in his 1 bar helmet lol

shally
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM

true.. on the other hand, it validates our decision to cut frost..we just didnt get the right guy in brooks..

shally
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
i would love to see Scott Player come in. Hes got a boot and i love seeing him in his 1 bar helmet lol

only thing that bothers me a little is that he primarily was a hot weather kicker in arizona.. can he handle bad weather kicking in the nfc east ??

smave
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
only thing that bothers me a little is that he primarily was a hot weather kicker in arizona.. can he handle bad weather kicking in the nfc east ??

this is a good point. But its not like he never played in away games...

And being a punter for the cardinals, you know he was used a lot when game time comes lol

Swirvi
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM

oooh. good point. maybe durant is a hot weather kicker also. :sun:

shally
10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
this is a good point. But its not like he never played in away games...

And being a punter for the cardinals, you know he was used a lot when game time comes lol

i do remember him being consistent when we faced him..

shally
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
oooh. good point. maybe durant is a hot weather kicker also. :sun:

coming out of georgia, that was an issue.. but he handled rain well from what i read.. i think brooks needs an off season to toughen up mentally.. i think he will be in the nfl next year, somewhere

smave
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
well here are his stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/scottplayer/profile?id=PLA800918

career Avg: 43.2
Net Avg: 36.1
and hes punted 727 times in his career

and his career long is 67 yards.

not too shabby

NCskinsfanatic
10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm kinda hoping we get Plakemeier, but I think we'll regret cutting ties with Brooks as early as next season. The kid has talent and has been showing it in practice, either way we still made the right decision cutting Frost imo.

shally
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm kinda hoping we get Plakemeier, but I think we'll regret cutting ties with Brooks as early as next season. The kid has talent and has been showing it in practice, either way we still made the right decision cutting Frost imo.

if we sign plackenmeier i am less worried because he is young also.. signing an older guy has risks of needing to replace them sooner.. but the need is this year...

NCskinsfanatic
10-13-2008, 02:45 PM
if we sign plackenmeier i am less worried because he is young also.. signing an older guy has risks of needing to replace them sooner.. but the need is this year...

Yeah if we sign an older guy we should let Brooks clear waivers and add him to the PS imo. The age factor is what I liked about Plakemeier as well...

bergiemoore
10-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Any update as to whether or not Brooks is on IR? The closest I could find was this (http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/10/13/slight-punter-update/).

shally
10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Any update as to whether or not Brooks is on IR? The closest I could find was this (http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/10/13/slight-punter-update/).

injury settlement vrs IR... this year they have gone much more towards settlements rather than keep guys on IR

Santheb
10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm going to start the Bring Back Tupa bandwagon, even if he his older than Zorn. That dude could punt.

smave
10-13-2008, 03:54 PM
or how bout Matt Turk? where is he these days?

bergiemoore
injury settlement vrs IR... this year they have gone much more towards settlements rather than keep guys on IR

So, an injury settlement would leave him a free agent after week 8, right? I can never remember all the bizarre rules surrounding the roster....

NCskinsfanatic

So what does that mean exactly? Are we going to simply cut ties with him immediately with a settlement opposed to IR? And if so is he eligable for the ps after receivinmg an injury settlement...I wouldnt think so.

That just seems like a waste, they know the kid has potential, I'd keep him around if at all possible for a look-see next year.

skinsfan36
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
or how bout Matt Turk? where is he these days?

he was in houston.

id be fine with plackemier. man i miss reggie roby

shally
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
So, an injury settlement would leave him a free agent after week 8, right? I can never remember all the bizarre rules surrounding the roster....

correct. whereas IR binds him to the skins under his current contract

shally
10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
he was in houston.

id be fine with plackemier. man i miss reggie roby

nobody messed with roby.. he was as big as most DLmen.. never had one blocked. had a one step release.. only punter i ever saw who wore a wrist watch while punting.. dont think i ever saw him make a tackle either..lol

Skins7ny
10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah if we sign an older guy we should let Brooks clear waivers and add him to the PS imo. The age factor is what I liked about Plakemeier as well...
Brooks might not clear waivers. Some team that is going nowhere this year and has a mediocre or old punter might take a shot on him if they liked him coming out of college. And if he clears waivers, I guarantee that he will have other teams calling his agent to sign him to their PS. And he would probably leave DC under that scenario to a place where he can escape the pressure of having been a failed draft pick.
I believe the rule is that the injury settlement renders him ineligible to sign with us until we say his injury would have been healed. He is eligible to sign with any other team immediately, I believe. Could be wrong.
So what does that mean exactly? Are we going to simply cut ties with him immediately with a settlement opposed to IR? And if so is he eligable for the ps after receivinmg an injury settlement...I wouldnt think so.

That just seems like a waste, they know the kid has potential, I'd keep him around if at all possible for a look-see next year.

Me three. They invested too much in him. I don't want more mediocre-to-bad punting around here. I would keep him on the roster and give him a little longer to turn it around. Failing that, I would put him on IR with his quad injury and bring him to camp next year.

shally
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Brooks might not clear waivers. Some team that is going nowhere this year and has a mediocre or old punter might take a shot on him if they liked him coming out of college. And if he clears waivers, I guarantee that he will have other teams calling his agent to sign him to their PS. And he would probably leave DC under that scenario to a place where he can escape the pressure of having been a failed draft pick.

I believe the rule is that the injury settlement renders him ineligible to sign with us until we say his injury would have been healed. He is eligible to sign with any other team immediately, I believe. Could be wrong.

Me three. They invested too much in him. I don't want more mediocre-to-bad punting around here. I would keep him on the roster and give him a little longer to turn it around. Failing that, I would put him on IR with his quad injury and bring him to camp next year.

if they sign plackenmeier, brooks is likely done here.. but if they sign an older guy like miller or player, brooks might get another shot next year..

WarEagle
10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Coach said that Durant had a really good week in practice but it didn't transfer to the game. I hope we can keep this kid somehow - maybe send him to a sports psychologist to get his head squared away.

colkurtz
10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Brooks has potential but his mind is just not in the right place. I'd like to put him in a place where we could give him a chance next season.

Cal did we make that bet?

JasonCampbell
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
So why did Vinny announce to the world that we'd have another punter on the team before Brooks was cut, then have the HC come out and say that he could be the punter? What a moron.

It sure is good to see we still have the same cluster [radio edit] still going on at the top.

greatest2
10-13-2008, 07:15 PM
IR the kid. it ain't like he going to be better this year then anybody we pick up off the street. if we IR him we let him develop into his potential while still getting the same but probably better productivity this year.

i think that is the smart move. a gibbs 1 era type move when he stashed players everywhere.

BigHairedAristocrat
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
no reason not to IR him. We invested a draft pick in him. He has potential. Releasing him would be the dumbest move in the world. IR him and let him compete with next preseason with whoever we bring in to replace him this year.

shally
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
no reason not to IR him. We invested a draft pick in him. He has potential. Releasing him would be the dumbest move in the world. IR him and let him compete with next preseason with whoever we bring in to replace him this year.

that is how i would do it.. but this season we have been using the injury settlement route far more often..

silverspring
10-13-2008, 08:10 PM

I agree, apparently he kicks well in practice so lets give him time to develop.

skinsfan36
10-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree, apparently he kicks well in practice so lets give him time to develop.

hes shaken up in the head from punting bad so its all about that he has the talent weve seen flashes

MadDog97
10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
The only two options: IR or stick with him. I would see who they bring in to replace. I think it is entirely mental on his part.

cal_junior
10-13-2008, 09:25 PM
So why did Vinny announce to the world that we'd have another punter on the team before Brooks was cut, then have the HC come out and say that he could be the punter?

Is it that he needed something to talk about and therefore was firing from the hip without talking to anybody first? If that's the case it's incredibly irresponsible.

Or did he think the Skins were going to cut the kid and decided it was okay to announce it publicly before anybody talked to Brooks? That's even worse since it kind of seems like he's trivializing a man's livelihood for the sake of entertaining the public.

LATrueRedskin
10-13-2008, 09:46 PM
So why did Vinny announce to the world that we'd have another punter on the team before Brooks was cut, then have the HC come out and say that he could be the punter? What a moron.

It sure is good to see we still have the same cluster [radio edit] still going on at the top.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, and Zorn had to try to cover up whatever the hell Vinny said. Nice job making your coach look stupid, Vinny.

SkinsfaninNJ
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM

I don't disagree that is a way to go, but it is not the dumbest move in the world. People have to get over the fact we used a second day pick on him. I am not one to trivialize draft picks in any round, but you can't compound a mistake just becaue you used a second day pick on a guy. I would hazzard to guess most second day picks don't even make it out of training camp, so its not like cutting him would be unheard of.

shally
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't disagree that is a way to go, but it is not the dumbest move in the world. People have to get over the fact we used a second day pick on him. I am not one to trivialize draft picks in any round, but you can't compound a mistake just becaue you used a second day pick on a guy. I would hazzard to guess most second day picks don't even make it out of training camp, so its not like cutting him would be unheard of.

6th rounder, guys.. no big deal...especially when some of the other second day picks look promising

guess88
10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
I really don't care that he cost us a draft pick, especially a 6th rounder, but the kid does have tons of potential. Like someone mentioned earlier, I'd hate to see a David Akers situation come out from this. IR him if we have to, but I'd like to keep him around just a bit longer.

Skins7ny
10-14-2008, 10:44 AM

What was the reason that Vinny is doing the radio show again?
Oh yeah, so that we fans can hear the truth about the Redskins without the truth being distorted by the media!!

This shows once again that the FO doesn't need the WaPo to distort the truth-they can do it fine all by themselves!!

fent
10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
on the IR issue, now Brooks is saying that he has a hip flexor problem that started up in Dallas...seems like he's setting this up for a trip to IR.

shally
10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
on the IR issue, now Brooks is saying that he has a hip flexor problem that started up in Dallas...seems like he's setting this up for a trip to IR.

i have NO problem with that.. put him on IR and let's see if he can get his head together by next summer.. he has the leg

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
good, if we can find somebody better I'd love to IR him and hope he comes back with some more confidence next year

Redskin4Life
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
good, if we can find somebody better I'd love to IR him and hope he comes back with some more confidence next year
This sounds like a good idea to me too... no reason to let him go after only 6 GAMES when we gave Frosty much longer. Cutting him or sending him to IR will open up a spot either way for a new punter.

Next year, we've got our training camp competition in-house with both guys learning from Danny for a whole year...

guess88
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
i have NO problem with that.. put him on IR and let's see if he can get his head together by next summer.. he has the leg

I sincerely hope that's the road we take with him. Hate to see such a promising talent go.

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
This sounds like a good idea to me too... no reason to let him go after only 6 GAMES when we gave Frosty much longer. Cutting him or sending him to IR will open up a spot either way for a new punter.

Next year, we've got our training camp competition in-house with both guys learning from Danny for a whole year...

Have you seen our special teams play recently?? Who's Danny supposed to learn from, lol?

shally
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I sincerely hope that's the road we take with him. Hate to see such a promising talent go.

you never know.. we could end up with plackenmeier who himself was once the "promising" flavor of the month...lol

guess88
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
you never know.. we could end up with plackenmeier who himself was once the "promising" flavor of the month...lol

You know... Plackenmeier just sounds like a punters name to me. Don't know why, but I can't picture someone with that name being a successful QB, WR, or anything on defense. Maybe TE. But... going by only the shallow basis of last name alone. He sounds like a punter.

*this post has no educational merit what so ever.

SkinsfaninNJ
10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Have you seen our special teams play recently?? Who's Danny supposed to learn from, lol?

There were times during his Skins tenure that Danny Smith's units were having the most success on the team, but his coaching ability is really being tested this year. Our coverage is terrible. Our kick returns are average at best and our punt returns are laughable. Suisham seems to kick off out of bounds once a game lately, and obviously our punting is disasterous.

Smith has got to get this turned around.

fent
10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
There were times during his Skins tenure that Danny Smith's units were having the most success on the team, but his coaching ability is really being tested this year. Our coverage is terrible. Our kick returns are average at best and our punt returns are laughable. Suisham seems to kick off out of bounds once a game lately, and obviously our punting is disasterous.

Smith has got to get this turned around.

while we do occasionally have bad coverage, we've gone pretty close to entire games without allowing a kickoff return to go for more than 20 yards. in fact, i just checked (very) quickly and we appear to have only allowed 4 kickoff returns of more than 20 yards, and one of those was 23. our kick coverage has been a bright spot for the team and at this point i'm willing to pin the punt coverage problems on our rookie punter.

colkurtz
10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Durant Brooks is LAST in punting in the NFL this season. People in this thread are claiming the FO is blaming him for losing the last game or not giving him enough time. Not true. He's had his shot. He's got the potential but just not getting the job done. He's costing us points and will continue to do so until he improves. We're not a good enough team that can simply wait for him to "get his mind right".

Sixth rounders are nothing in this league - the vast majority don't make it. Punters are the most replaceable players in football - they're on speed dial from GMs on many teams. Many players who were great in college [like the #1 punter] can't make the transition to the pros. Durant Brooks will punt for someone else and may do well or not. We simply can't risk his inconsistency when we can bring someone else who can do better for each kick this season.

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
while we do occasionally have bad coverage, we've gone pretty close to entire games without allowing a kickoff return to go for more than 20 yards. in fact, i just checked (very) quickly and we appear to have only allowed 4 kickoff returns of more than 20 yards, and one of those was 23. our kick coverage has been a bright spot for the team and at this point i'm willing to pin the punt coverage problems on our rookie punter.
That is one statistic and actually our kick return coverage is one area of ST I would have said has played well without even looking.

It is just about everything else from holding, kickoffs out of bounds, punts, resulting punt coverage .... Danny Smith has had some good stretches here but right now our S/T is a HUGE liability

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Sixth rounders are nothing in this league - the vast majority don't make it. Punters are the most replaceable players in football - they're on speed dial from GMs on many teams. Many players who were great in college [like the #1 punter] can't make the transition to the pros. Durant Brooks will punt for someone else and may do well or not. We simply can't risk his inconsistency when we can bring someone else who can do better for each kick this season.

If my team's GM had punters on speed dial i'd be very worried, lol

colkurtz
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
If my team's GM had punters on speed dial i'd be very worried, lol

I was exaggerating a little. However, punters do shift teams a lot. Rent - don't buy a house. LOL.

Redskin4Life
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Sooooooooooo, we're going with two punters???

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/hamilton_cut_says_doughty_will.html

skinfan43
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Sooooooooooo, we're going with two punters???

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/hamilton_cut_says_doughty_will.html
Nope, read down a little further...
The Redskins worked out four punters today, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, including Josh Miller, Ryan Plackemeier, and Waylon Prather and sent Miller and Plackemeier for physicals.

The Skins will sign one of those veterans today, with a decision expected around 4 p.m. and that punter will get a roster spot vacated by Durant Brooks.

Brooks will either be waived, placed the injured-reserve list or reach an injury settlement, according to sources. MIller is the more experienced punter; Plackemeier has ties to the staff from his time punting in Seattle.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/skins_intend_to_sign_alexander.html

Fine by me, I'm leaning towards Miller because he's an experienced holder as well, but either should be an upgrade. Fine with Alexander too, if he's healed up decently he knows this system like the back of his hand and could spell Portis at least as effectively as Betts IMO..

colkurtz
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Is it that he needed something to talk about and therefore was firing from the hip without talking to anybody first? If that's the case it's incredibly irresponsible.

Or did he think the Skins were going to cut the kid and decided it was okay to announce it publicly before anybody talked to Brooks? That's even worse since it kind of seems like he's trivializing a man's livelihood for the sake of entertaining the public.

So Cal - do you owe me a beverage now [bet earlier in this thread]? I'm sorry to see Durant go, I think someday he will be a very good punter. Perhaps even for us if he's put on the IR. The Redskins are going for consistency with a veteran.

JasonCampbell
10-14-2008, 02:56 PM
According to JLC, Jeremy Kapinos was another punter at the park today. He punted for PSU (my favorite college team) and I always found it funny that PSU had a better punter than the Redskins, a professional team. I can't remember a time he shanked a punt in a critical moment. IIRC, he was up for the Ray Guy Award (which apparently means nothing, LOL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Kapinos#Professional_career

Redskin4Life
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I guess we went with Plackemeier... I have NO problems with him. He had some BOOMING kicks against NC State and literally won a game all by himself against us (he kicked FGs as well for Wake). Hopefully he'll look like THAT guy instead of the one in Seattle...

Snarky
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
According to some sources (rotoworld, for one) we've signed Ryan Plackemeier. Here:

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=nfl&id=4021

Redskin4Life
10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Here's the original source:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/14/redskins-turn-to-former-seahawks/

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
JLC's newest entry says we cut Brooks not IR'd him ... I think we should have done the latter if possible

BurgundyNGold
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
JLC's newest entry says we cut Brooks not IR'd him ... I think we should have done the latter if possible
Ridiculous. I guess that he and Frost were equally crappy in preseason. I hope the new guy can hold kicks property. Suisham has made 7 in a row.

cal_junior
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
So Cal - do you owe me a beverage now [bet earlier in this thread]? I'm sorry to see Durant go, I think someday he will be a very good punter. Perhaps even for us if he's put on the IR. The Redskins are going for consistency with a veteran.

http://www.alcohol-stuff.co.uk/images/beer-mug.JPG

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Ridiculous. I guess that he and Frost were equally crappy in preseason. I hope the new guy can hold kicks property. Suisham has made 7 in a row.
Well the Packers have had many in to replace the frostyman too, so yeh

silverspring
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I wonder why we didn't IR him. Maybe he didn't qualify?

JasonCampbell
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM

UPDATE: Brooks was waived injured, according to a league source. Because the team used this designation, Brooks can be placed on injured reserve if/when he clears waivers.

What are the odds an injured, worst performing punter in the league clears waivers? I really hope we IR the kid and give him another chance in the spring to prove himself.

AliBabba
10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
What are the odds an injured, worst performing punter in the league clears waivers? I really hope we IR the kid and give him another chance in the spring to prove himself.
Thanks. This is good news because he's definitely got talent.... needs to get his head on straight.

silverspring
10-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Great, this works out well. Hopefully he can reclaim his spot next season

shally
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM

agreed.. suisham may be far better a kicker than we give him credit for

skinfan43
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
agreed.. suisham may be far better a kicker than we give him credit for
*COUGH COUGH* Kickoffs *COUGH COUGH*

Seriously, he's been great at FGs, but he's really gotta stop screwing a kickoff every game..

inevitable
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Brooks was waived injured, according to a league source. Because the team used this designation, Brooks can be placed on injured reserve if/when he clears waivers.

I think he'll end up on IR soon.

SimplyZ
10-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I think he'll end up on IR soon.

Lets hope plackmeier isn't the same story over again. I would hate to see a revolving door of punters...the position is important as long as we get consistency.

bigcmr
10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Plz tell me he doesnt end up on Dallas and turns out to be what we thought he was ganna be.

I would IR him.

WinnpegSkinsFan
10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
According to the Skins website he was waived with an injury settlement:
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Replace_Brooks_With_Plackemeier_25210.jsp

guess88
10-14-2008, 06:19 PM
According to the Skins website he was waived with an injury settlement:
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Replace_Brooks_With_Plackemeier_25210.jsp

That sucks... best of luck to him. Sincerely hope it doesn't bite us in the rear...

WinnpegSkinsFan
10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
That sucks... best of luck to him. Sincerely hope it doesn't bite us in the rear...
Agreed - much preferred to have IRed him and bring him in to compete for the job next TC.

guess88
10-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Agreed - much preferred to have IRed him and bring him in to compete for the job next TC.

Speaking of which, what would've been the consequences if we IR'ed him?

Keino
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
It's a punter people. Not a real football player, but a punter who couldn't do his one and only job well. Let him go to Dallas. Who cares. He may have won the Ray Guy award, but he ain't Ray Guy.

GloryHog
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
It's a punter people. Not a real football player, but a punter who couldn't do his one and only job well. Let him go to Dallas. Who cares. He may have won the Ray Guy award, but he ain't Ray Guy.

Somehow I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. It's obvious he has the physical tools to be a good punter. I wonder what happened to cause them to lose faith in his ability to pull his act together.

shally
10-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Somehow I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. It's obvious he has the physical tools to be a good punter. I wonder what happened to cause them to lose faith in his ability to pull his act together.

26 yard punt this past game ????? yeah, that might do it.....lol