PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ideas for Philly game >>> NOW MAKES NEWS

Skins-R-Us
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey guys and and gals, I need some help thinking of wording for a banner for this weeks game. I will be sitting in the front row right where the Redskins run out of the tunnel. I would like to have a 3 ft by 2ft sign to hold up when they run out in the beginning and after halftime. Any ideas on what "we" should tell them.

I had a few lame ideas, but I know you all are creative, so have at it.

My ideas were trying to show that we are paying attention.

Jumping Off

Hip Hip Hooray

Then you always have the generic..

Hail to the Redskins

Go Skins

In Zorn We Trust

Patrick
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey guys and and gals, I need some help thinking of wording for a banner for this weeks game. I will be sitting in the front row right where the Redskins run out of the tunnel. I would like to have a 3 ft by 2ft sign to hold up when they run out in the beginning and after halftime. Any ideas on what "we" should tell them.

I had a few lame ideas, but I know you all are creative, so have at it.

My ideas were trying to show that we are paying attention.

Jumping Off

Hip Hip Hooray

Then you always have the generic..

Go Skins

In Zorn We Trust

If you're in Redskins geer:

HELP
I'M BEING ASSAULTED
Hail to the Redskins

Farmer Ted
10-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Seriously, I'd be more worried about being killed than what my banner said. You really want to put a big bullseye on your back?

Skins-R-Us
10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I have been to Philly before and as long as you can take being sworn at and verbally abused it isn't that bad. I have thick skin and basically just let them say what they want. But this is a football game and no one is going to tell me I can't root for my team. If they want to be morons let them.

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM

HELP
I'M BEING ASSAULTED
Hail to the Redskins
ROTFLMAO!

MPCSkins
10-03-2008, 10:24 AM

HELP
I'M BEING ASSAULTED
Hail to the Redskins

Nah, you won't need this sign. Just go with Portis' mom and she'll throw a couple left hooks to keep you safe.

Skins-R-Us
10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I had to get this done today because am traveling tomorrow. I went with the Hip Hip Hooray in Redskins coloring and the Redskins Font on a white sign 3' x 2'. Look for me by the tunnel when they run in and out!

guess88
10-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I had to get this done today because am traveling tomorrow. I went with the Hip Hip Hooray in Redskins coloring and the Redskins Font on a white sign 3' x 2'. Look for me by the tunnel when they run in and out!

Wear a bullet proof vest on the outside if you can. It'd just look hilarious on tv.

colkurtz
10-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm going to be on one of the end zones with a sign also.

Probably going with a Captain Chaos sign / flip over for either Horton or Portis (haven't decided yet).

UNSeriously how about:

"Thank you for hitting me with the battery - I need more AA's for my drawer"

dj_stouty
10-03-2008, 05:37 PM
How about:

"Herpes-free section"

colkurtz
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
How about:

"Herpes-free section"

In Philly?

dj_stouty
10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
In Philly?

YES, lol. 1 section out of 200 doesn't have herpes. :)

BurgundyNGold
10-03-2008, 06:02 PM
How about:

"Herpes-free section"
Nice, lol. It probably won't get any TV time though.

I'll think about this and see if I can come up with something.

colkurtz
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm making my signs tomorrow.

shally
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM

HELP
I'M BEING ASSAULTED
Hail to the Redskins

lol...true, so true...

hail2skins
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
What about

"REIDing WAS Fundamental" or "Kneel B 4 Zorn".

Fathead
10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm surrounded by thugs!

:D

skinfanjon
10-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Its a little late but if you really want to kick the hornets nest, how about:

"Congratulations on your Arena Bowl"

For those who aren't aware the team from Philly won the arena bowl this year.

InsomniaKiller
10-04-2008, 07:10 PM
"Congratulations on your Arena Bowl"

Aaaaahahahah that one's good!

Skins-R-Us
10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I made it back from Philly in tact! What a great game and the banner was a hit. I help it up when the players were running back into the tunnel at half time and got a few good looks and thumbs up from Phillip Daniels, Andre Carter, Cooley, and a few others. They mostly look straight ahead when heading to the tunnel because of the Philly fans. Then after they won I was holding it up again and a ton of NFL camera guys were filming and taking pictures so I may end up on TV somewhere. But I got a lot more attention at the end because all the philly fans left and the Redskin fans that were there came down so the guys were looking at us. So most of them saw it and either smiled, thumbs up or winked. Coach Zorn gave me a thinbs up and a wink. Rocky McIntosh threw me his glove, so that was cool. I would have liked to get a couple autographs but they all just ran back into the tunnel.

Over all a great game. Thought it was going to be a long day the first 8 minutes, but then we creeped back in. The second half the eagles fans just turned on themselves. It was awesome. Did not have any real altercations, just about 4 fans said redskins suck the whole day so I think that is petty good.

I have some pics on my phone fom the game, I will post a couple if anyone wants to see them. Got a few good ones of the guys coming out of the tunnel at half time. Portis celebrating the touch down in the endzone and a couple good ones of the eagle cheerleaders, they were pretty close! Couldn't resist. LOL

Patrick
10-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Well I made it back from Philly in tact! What a great game and the banner was a hit. I help it up when the players were running back into the tunnel at half time and got a few good looks and thumbs up from Phillip Daniels, Andre Carter, Cooley, and a few others. They mostly look straight ahead when heading to the tunnel because of the Philly fans. Then after they won I was holding it up again and a ton of NFL camera guys were filming and taking pictures so I may end up on TV somewhere. But I got a lot more attention at the end because all the philly fans left and the Redskin fans that were there came down so the guys were looking at us. So most of them saw it and either smiled, thumbs up or winked. Coach Zorn gave me a thinbs up and a wink. Rocky McIntosh threw me his glove, so that was cool. I would have liked to get a couple autographs but they all just ran back into the tunnel.

Over all a great game. Thought it was going to be a long day the first 8 minutes, but then we creeped back in. The second half the eagles fans just turned on themselves. It was awesome. Did not have any real altercations, just about 4 fans said redskins suck the whole day so I think that is petty good.

I have some pics on my phone fom the game, I will post a couple if anyone wants to see them. Got a few good ones of the guys coming out of the tunnel at half time. Portis celebrating the touch down in the endzone and a couple good ones of the eagle cheerleaders, they were pretty close! Couldn't resist. LOL

VERY COOL ........... sounds like you had a great day! Glad you got out of there in one piece.

AustinSkin
10-06-2008, 08:27 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/skins_hip_hip_hooray_again.html

Pictured in the Washington Post

AliBabba
10-06-2008, 09:27 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/skins_hip_hip_hooray_again.html

Pictured in the Washington Post
Nice!! That's you right Skins-R-Us?

hail2skins
10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
very nice banner indeed. You should get that picture enlarged and framed.

InsomniaKiller
10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Dude, that picture in JLC's blog is awesome. Perfect picture, amazing looking banner. You've been immortalized! Thanks for representing us in a hostile environment!

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
You know, I saw that pic late last night and wondering if that was him. If so, :beer:

Skins-R-Us
10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Nice find on the pic! That is me I knew they were taking a lot of pics at the end and that it would end up somewhere. Thank you so much for finding that!

RoanokeSkin
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM

That is awesome man... the pic on the site is awesome... you should definitely get that framed.

Not holding the pics of the Eagle cheerleaders against you, those have to be the smallest uniforms in the NFL.

Skins-R-Us
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I sent Dan Steinberg an email to let him know that I was the person with the banner and he told me to send details for a possible follow up story. I will keep you posted!

Skins-R-Us
10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I just got an email from Dan and here is the story that should be in the paper tomorrow... I'll post a link when it actually comes out!

"here's what i wrote for tomorrow's paper, it's running with the photo, this is the unedited version but i can't imagine it changed much, lemme know if you have any issues. i want to make hip hip hooray the new bandwagon, zorn willing"

During John Woloshen’s last trip to Philadelphia, he nearly caused a riot when an Eagles fan grabbed an autographed Joe Theismann jersey out of his hands and threw it into the crowd.

“So my history in Philly was not great,” John e-mailed me today.

Still, the 43-year old software exec and lifelong Skins fan—the kind who grew up with the posters and the bedspreads and everything—wasn’t cowed. He’s been in exile in Orlando for 20 years but frequently heads north for Washington road games, at Giants Stadium with his cousin Vinny (really) and at Eagles games with his best friend Larry. And with a seat in Philadelphia right next to the visiting team’s tunnel, he decided he would bring a banner, “something that would help inspire the team and not be controversial or antagonistic,” he wrote me.

Now, in this season of Zorn, if you were searching for an appropriate D.C. slogan, inspirational but not lewd or crass, hopeful but not aggressive, what would it be? Duh. It’s Hip Hip Hooray, stupid.

“The Redskins would know what I was talking about and the Eagles fans really wouldn’t have a clue,” Woloshen wrote me. “It was perfect.”

His company’s graphics guy helped him design an image. He called sign makers to see who could do a rush job with only a few hours notice. He found a $40 deal, and asked for his slogan in burgundy and gold. The colors weren’t perfect—more like Florida State than the Redskins—and his friend Larry was worried about causing a fuss. Woloshen nearly left the sign in Florida, but then decided he might as well bring it along. Good call, as it turned out.

“It felt a little corny at first, but when I saw the reaction of the players and coaches when they ran into the locker room at halftime and again at the end of the game, I knew I had made the right choice,” Woloshen wrote. “Antwaan Randle El gave me a big thumbs up and Coach Zorn gave me the smile and wink!”

The rest, of course, is good clean history. The team made it two upset wins in a row, Randle El made it two hokey cheers in a row when he stepped into the postgame huddle, and this autumn’s Hip Hip Hoorayride rolled on.

“I have to think it is now here to stay,” Woloshen wrote, and it’s hard to argue with that assessment. More than half of the Wikipedia entry for “Hip Hip Hooray” is already devoted to the Redskins. Fans are calling for Hip Hip Hooray towels and banners and cheers at this week’s home game. Sports bloggers are selling Hip Hip Hooray t-shirts. Woloshen, a musician by night, hopes to compose a Hip Hip Hooray song.

And players are being asked about the cheer daily; “first of all, the Hip Hip Hooray came out the first time at the Redskins luncheon,” Chris Cooley told DC101’s Elliot In The Morning yesterday. “And that was with all our sponsors and with whoever it was, and Zorn said it at the end of his talk. And that was REALLY uncomfortable.”

But Cooley also said the cheer’s “got to stick,” and other players have jumped on board.

“Oh yeah, that’s the new thang now, baby,” Demetric Evans told me. “That’s the new thang.”

When Hip Hip Hooray has become the new thang, you know you’re having a moment.

AliBabba
10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
I just got an email from Dan and here is the story that should be in the paper tomorrow... I'll post a link when it actually comes out!

"here's what i wrote for tomorrow's paper, it's running with the photo, this is the unedited version but i can't imagine it changed much, lemme know if you have any issues. i want to make hip hip hooray the new bandwagon, zorn willing"

During John Woloshen’s last trip to Philadelphia, he nearly caused a riot when an Eagles fan grabbed an autographed Joe Theismann jersey out of his hands and threw it into the crowd.

“So my history in Philly was not great,” John e-mailed me today.

Still, the 43-year old software exec and lifelong Skins fan—the kind who grew up with the posters and the bedspreads and everything—wasn’t cowed. He’s been in exile in Orlando for 20 years but frequently heads north for Washington road games, at Giants Stadium with his cousin Vinny (really) and at Eagles games with his best friend Larry. And with a seat in Philadelphia right next to the visiting team’s tunnel, he decided he would bring a banner, “something that would help inspire the team and not be controversial or antagonistic,” he wrote me.

Now, in this season of Zorn, if you were searching for an appropriate D.C. slogan, inspirational but not lewd or crass, hopeful but not aggressive, what would it be? Duh. It’s Hip Hip Hooray, stupid.

“The Redskins would know what I was talking about and the Eagles fans really wouldn’t have a clue,” Woloshen wrote me. “It was perfect.”

His company’s graphics guy helped him design an image. He called sign makers to see who could do a rush job with only a few hours notice. He found a $40 deal, and asked for his slogan in burgundy and gold. The colors weren’t perfect—more like Florida State than the Redskins—and his friend Larry was worried about causing a fuss. Woloshen nearly left the sign in Florida, but then decided he might as well bring it along. Good call, as it turned out.

“It felt a little corny at first, but when I saw the reaction of the players and coaches when they ran into the locker room at halftime and again at the end of the game, I knew I had made the right choice,” Woloshen wrote. “Antwaan Randle El gave me a big thumbs up and Coach Zorn gave me the smile and wink!”

The rest, of course, is good clean history. The team made it two upset wins in a row, Randle El made it two hokey cheers in a row when he stepped into the postgame huddle, and this autumn’s Hip Hip Hoorayride rolled on.

“I have to think it is now here to stay,” Woloshen wrote, and it’s hard to argue with that assessment. More than half of the Wikipedia entry for “Hip Hip Hooray” is already devoted to the Redskins. Fans are calling for Hip Hip Hooray towels and banners and cheers at this week’s home game. Sports bloggers are selling Hip Hip Hooray t-shirts. Woloshen, a musician by night, hopes to compose a Hip Hip Hooray song.

And players are being asked about the cheer daily; “first of all, the Hip Hip Hooray came out the first time at the Redskins luncheon,” Chris Cooley told DC101’s Elliot In The Morning yesterday. “And that was with all our sponsors and with whoever it was, and Zorn said it at the end of his talk. And that was REALLY uncomfortable.”

But Cooley also said the cheer’s “got to stick,” and other players have jumped on board.

“Oh yeah, that’s the new thang now, baby,” Demetric Evans told me. “That’s the new thang.”

When Hip Hip Hooray has become the new thang, you know you’re having a moment.
First of all congrats man. That is awesome.

I am trying really hard not to get too excited about this season but its hard. There is something special going on with this team ...

Patrick
10-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Just read the article in the WP in morning .......... VERY COOL!!!!
Also modified thread title.

Skins-R-Us
10-07-2008, 07:51 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/06/AR2008100602857.html

Here is the link to the actual story...

CarMike
10-07-2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/06/AR2008100602857.html

Here is the link to the actual story...

Don't forget us "little" people now that you've made it to the big time. :)

Big time congrats Skins-R-Us! :awesomewo

skinsfan44
10-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Very cool, Skins-R-Us.

I saw you and your banner on Comcast SportsNet here in MD.

Yeah, when I first saw the video clip of Zorn and the team doing the Hip-Hip-Hooray after the Dallas win, I thought is was a little cheesy, but now it is turning into something cool.

This season could turn out to be very special and having the slogan of Hip-Hip-Hooray go along with it will be special too.

Biggie
10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
That is AWESOME. Glad to see one of our own here at hR all big and famous now, lol.

Skins-R-Us
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
It is pretty cool, I am the banner guy! Trying to think of ways to parlay my 15 mins. I am going to send the article to the Today Show, Good Morning America, Regis, Letterman, Tonight Show, ESPN... you never know what they will pick up. Also going to see if somehow I can become the Cheer guy and after scores and victories do Hip Hip and on a mic and have the crowd do Hooray! Probably not but I am going to try and work it. I am hoping to have my song ready by the weekend also.

LMAO!

native skin
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
It is pretty cool, I am the banner guy! Trying to think of ways to parlay my 15 mins. I am going to send the article to the Today Show, Good Morning America, Regis, Letterman, Tonight Show, ESPN... you never know what they will pick up. Also going to see if somehow I can become the Cheer guy and after scores and victories do Hip Hip and on a mic and have the crowd do Hooray! Probably not but I am going to try and work it. I am hoping to have my song ready by the weekend also.

LMAO!

That is sweet! I read your HR thread on Friday before the game, saw you on comcast and thought to myself "Is that the same guy?" This morning I read the article in the Post, as well. Amazing how it all came together. It's incredible how the combination of television, the media, and the Web brings us all closer to the action, almost felt like I was a part of it.

It's also amazing how something seemingly "corny" can take on a life of it's own, if enough people believe in it. As Z says "Believe in Now!"

HIP HIP REDSKINS!!

RedskinsDave
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
That rocks!! I'm going to try to get my section to do a hip hip hooray this weekend.

Sweepea436
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
It's the coolest thing since pet rocks baby!

skinsfan36
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
thats awesome man

AliBabba
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM

LMAO!
You've gone national ....

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-42/Hip-Hip-Hoorayride-continues-.html

RedskinsDave
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Does anyone have the ability to make up some quick signs? I was thinking of bringing a small "hip" sign and a larger "hooray" with the R being the Skins script one if I can find some place to make it. I could also try to make them myself but I don't think a whole section could see an 8x11.

AliBabba
10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone have the ability to make up some quick signs? I was thinking of bringing a small "hip" sign and a larger "hooray" with the R being the Skins script one if I can find some place to make it. I could also try to make them myself but I don't think a whole section could see an 8x11.
I think we gotta do something like this for Sunday man, I will stop by the printer we use for the office tomorrow to see what they can do and get some idea of the price

RedskinsDave
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
If I have to, I may just make some up and and glue tongue depressers on them and wing it.

shally
10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
awesome.. great work !!!

Skins-R-Us
10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
You can get the signs made up ay any quick signs or place like that. My banner was 3' x 2' and it was only $40 bucks and they did it it under 3 Hrs. Definately go that route, they look good, they roll up and they can pur grommits to hang them. Keep the Cheer alive!!!

Skins-R-Us
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
It is spreading everywhere and he wrote a new version today a little different (the first link).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/the_fan_with_the_hip_hip_hoora.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3590

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/local/team?team=was

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Antwaan+Randle+El

http://www.newstin.com/tag/us/79863349

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-42/Hip-Hip-Hoorayride-continues-.html

Skins-R-Us
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Quick little followup. Had an interesting thing happen this weekend! I got an email this weekend from a Redskin fan in the DC area who took an interest in the story. He felt bad that I lost my autographed Theismann jersey at the Philly game the year before, so he wanted to try and get it replaced. He was at some event and he met Joe and told him about my story and arranged to get me a signed jersey.

More proof that Redskins have the "best" fan base anywhere. We may not be as obnotious, loud, arrogant or stupid as other fan bases but we have heart. I always feel a connection when I meet Redskins fans where ever I go and this just re-enforces my choice to be a fan of the best team in pro sports!

P.S. - I told the guy that I appreciated his gesture, but that he should keep the jersey or donate to a needy child in the area. Although it was great that he went through the effort, I wouldn't feel right taking it.

Just thought I would share. There are still thoughtful and unselfish people out there and I am proud that they represent the Burgundy and Gold (or the Maroon and Black, LOL)!

HIP HIP HOORAY

hail2skins
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
That's a pretty good story and shows we do have a lot good fans.

AliBabba
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
That's a pretty good story and shows we do have a lot good fans.
Yes, including Skins-R-US