PDA

View Full Version : Portis is NFC Offensive Player of the Week

cal_junior
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
"Portis is second in the NFL with 514 rushing yards, behind only Atlanta's Michael Turner (543) and is third in total yards from scrimmage (563).

This is the third time Portis has won the honor and the second time with the Redskins."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2008/Oct/08/portis-honored/

Keino
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Well deserved. Back to Back 100 yard games against stingy defenses on the Road.

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
My boy.......:beer:

RoanokeSkin
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
He had already won the far more distinguished "HR Player of the Week" award, but this isn't too bad either.

Well deserved.

Beast56Redskin
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM
for being the statistically best run defense, it sure didnt look like portis had any trouble. Props to the clintonmeister

SkinsKY
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Most of all, I'm glad for Clinton. He's put in so much work and I can imagine how frustrating it is to work so hard and still have "experts" and fans alike say that your skills are declining. I hope he has a career year, not just for us, but as a reward for everything he's done for us.

Sweepea436
10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Most of all, I'm glad for Clinton. He's put in so much work and I can imagine how frustrating it is to work so hard and still have "experts" and fans alike say that your skills are declining. I hope he has a career year, not just for us, but as a reward for everything he's done for us.

Ditto that!:Peace:

frankez99
10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Well deserved.

I actually got goose bumps watching him run on Sunday. Goose bumps I haven't felt watching a Redskins running back in a LONG time.

Redskinmayhem
10-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Congrats Clinton!! The recognition is well deserved. He's earned it. The guy blocks like a lineman, catches like a WR, fights for that extra yardage and pushes the pile...He's the consumate teammate and player.

I love me some Clinton!!!

ryflan47
10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
If he can run for more yards than he ever did in Denver, maybe people will shut up about his best days being behind him.

GreenspanDan
10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
it is not a coincidence that clinton's big numbers coincide with the redskins finally fielding an NFL-caliber passing game!

Biggie
10-08-2008, 01:21 PM
CLINTONIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

Much deserved.

cal_junior
10-08-2008, 01:25 PM
it is not a coincidence that clinton's big numbers coincide with the redskins finally fielding an NFL-caliber passing game!

Abso-freaking-lutely.

cal_junior
10-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Is anybody worried Portis is averaging 23 carries per game? That works out to about 370 carries for the season.

Let's say we end up playing a 17th game this season, I really hope our tailback has something left in the tank.

smoak
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
He had already won the far more distinguished "HR Player of the Week" award, but this isn't too bad either.

Well deserved.

This does feel like a distant second... :D

cal_junior
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
The last few running backs to rush 370 or more times in a season:

2007 NONE
2006 Larry Johnson - KC (416)
2005 Shaun Alexander - SEA (370)
2004 Curtis Martin - NYJ (371)
2003 Ricky Williams - MIA (392)
Jamal Lewis - BAL (387)

2002 Ricky Williams - MIA (383)
LaDanian Tomlinson - SD (372)

2001 NONE
2000 Eddie George - TENN (403
Edgerrin James - IND (387)

guess88
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Is anybody worried Portis is averaging 23 carries per game? That works out to about 370 carries for the season.

Let's say we end up playing a 17th game this season, I really hope our tailback has something left in the tank.

Not really. I think he's been top 5 in the league in carries since he's been here. Something left it in the tank I don't worry about with CP. Now injury... while I think CP's pretty durable, the physical way he plays, that could be in issue.

GreenspanDan
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
CP is a tough dude, and every season he puts up his best numbers at the end of the season regardless of his number of carries. he'll be fine! hell, i'd like to see how good he gets at the 500 carry mark.

Skins7ny
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Congrats to Clinton for the well-deserved honor.
Congrats also to his blockers, who I am sure take justified pride in CP's accomplishment.

SimplyZ
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Big congratulations.

Hopefully we can start blowing out some teams and give Portis some rest. He deserves it and at the level hes playing now, he could very well lead us to some blowouts

native skin
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Congratulations Portis!! :Partyup:

give_portis_the_rock
10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
He's already the best running back in team history at just 27 years old
He will not fall off for a LONG LONG time, he'll be another Curtis Martin I can feel it

InsomniaKiller
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Darn right he's offensive player of the week. Won't be the last time this year, either.

WarEagle
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Zorn's reaction was something like: "You pat him on the back and thank the O line. But we have another game this weekend. We're not going to hold a banquet."

lol

JoeJacksonTaylor28
10-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Zorn's reaction was something like: "You pat him on the back and thank the O line. But we have another game this weekend. We're not going to hold a banquet."

lol
Great reaction.

I'm really worried about how the team handles the recent success... we are not very used to it, lol

skinsfan36
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
lol no banquet for cp thats funny,zorn is keeping people humble i love it. congrats to cp

give_portis_the_rock
10-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Great reaction.

I'm really worried about how the team handles the recent success... we are not very used to it, lol

So far so good, right?
The players voted against on off day, every time Clinton or Zorn opens his mouth it's about how much work they still needs to do, and they're not playing with ANY sense of entitlement. I don't know what it is, but these guys GET IT. There's a swag in them that we havent seen for a long time.

greatest2
10-08-2008, 11:56 PM
does it on the road.
does it against two teams that know us very well
does it against front sevens that are very very dangerous and considered the strength of there respective teams
does it easily.

i say this was as sure a thing as jordan from the free throw line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkNBa-p7fQ

as for the carries. yes they worry me. just because he has done it the past few years, doesn't mean it won't slow him down later this year. i don't think they will, but i can certainly understand if they do and hope we can work betts in more without losing much.

lets not forget guys, his blocking also means he takes more hits. add that to his carries. calling him a workhorse is an understatement.

give_portis_the_rock
10-09-2008, 12:03 AM
does it on the road.
does it against two teams that know us very well
does it against front sevens that are very very dangerous and considered the strength of there respective teams
does it easily.

i say this was as sure a thing as jordan from the free throw line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkNBa-p7fQ

as for the carries. yes they worry me. just because he has done it the past few years, doesn't mean it won't slow him down later this year. i don't think they will, but i can certainly understand if they do and hope we can work betts in more without losing much.

lets not forget guys, his blocking also means he takes more hits. add that to his carries. calling him a workhorse is an understatement.

Definitely. I think Ladell has played very well this season though, and that is a big difference maker. Ladell is now a true changeup back, he no longer needs to get into a rhythm before he starts gaining yards.

guess88
10-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Definitely. I think Ladell has played very well this season though, and that is a big difference maker. Ladell is now a true changeup back, he no longer needs to get into a rhythm before he starts gaining yards.

I wouldn't call him a change up. More like a relief guy.

give_portis_the_rock
10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't call him a change up. More like a relief guy.

I know his running style does not really complement Portis', but he can be put into the game at any point and be fresh.

saratogan
10-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Congratulations to him. Congratulations also to an offensive line that has has really done an outstanding job so far.

LadyNRedskinsfan
10-09-2008, 01:43 AM

lol
You can't help but love that......:beer:

I think Darrell Green said it best in his blog on WT:

You better have that intangible something that Joe Gibbs used to call "a feeling," which is a sense of togetherness, respect and appreciation for one another and for the game itself.

Link BTW (http://www.washtimes.com/weblogs/darrell-green-football/2008/Oct/08/i-think-they-just-might-have-it/)