PDA

View Full Version : Trotters Game Losing penalty.... an informal poll of sorts

Redskinmayhem
09-25-2003, 11:08 PM
....May not have been completely his fault. While I'm not ready to absolve a bone headed mistake like that, there may be something to this. Here's my take on this: I've played all the major team sports out there and this is something that is fairly common in the higher levels of competition of those sports. I KNOW that Fassel or one of the coaches or players told that O-lineman to pick on the most volatile, smack/trash talking guy on the defense. He picked out Trotter from a group of 3 or 4 skins (trotter wasn't even in on the tackle) and victimized him. The moment trotter retaliated, the lineman threw his arms in the air like he was totally innocent. Think about it...how the hell else were they going to get out of a 3rd and 24 or whatever it was??? It's obvious it was a setup. They knew a personal foul was the only way to convert that 3rd down. They probably picked trotter because he'd been jawing with the giants O-line all day. What does everyone else think?

Redbeard
09-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh I'm sure of it. I think people have been doing it for years. That is part of what makes it so unexcusable. Every co-ordinator will put it in his book. 3&long - provoke Trotter; 1rst down completion - cheap shot McCants.

Riggo said, the other guy started it & even then it was one of the mini-est "spats" he'd witnessed. Coming short of exonorating Trotter (and you know Riggo fries people up in pan just for fun, though he does it with knee-slap & beer belch) Riggo said he could not believe the Refs 1rst downed a 3&24 over it. And that the Refs simply can't be altering the game on stuff like that.

Anyone here the Trotter Quote? He said Spurrier came up to him in practive and smacked him in the head & said - now what are you going to do about it? Are you going to hit me back??. *lol* Trotter said it was funny. Also like the refs they brought into practive. Sometimes you have to outplay the refs as well. Time we learn.

hail2skins
09-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Good point Redbeard, the refs should have not have made that game altering call. Arrington has even spoken to the number of penalties that are being called against us.

Hailyeah
09-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Good point about the game altering call. Nonetheless, Trotter is a complete jackass for playing into their hands. I'm down on him right now because of that play. He should know that he could be targeted for provocation. He's a veteran player, not a younger dude like McCants who hasn't had near the game action. Talk about quotes, what about Trotter's ultra lame comment in the Post on Sunday when asked about the penalty play:

"I thought he hit me late," Trotter said. "I didn't hit the dude. I just grabbed his facemask, and the ref threw the flag."

Duh, you grabbed the facemask? Oh, oh, I see, you should be exonerated as you didn't smack him back. What a joker. Now keep in mind, this is coming from a person who has defended #54's signing and play in the past. He owes us big IMO.

Redbeard
09-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Hail Yeah

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Jerimiah has got to know better - he's got to recognize provocation as the desperation act of the vanquished inferior NOT a challenge. Trotter should have realized he'd already won the true challenge and not been suckered by the act of desperation.

In my book it had better be a once-a-season type of mistake (especialy with THAT contract, & very good point you make on McCants too, starter, experience & money-wise). Otherwise I start counting it against an inevitable "restructuring of his contract" down the road.

First time I've heard the face-masking. That would be really dissappointing because intentional face-masking ALWAYS gets a first down, does it not? Much less intentioal face-masking AFTER the play? And that even takes away the complaints about "subjectivity of the refs".

Jerimiah may be a bullfrog (sometimes)... but he's still a good friend of mine.
I might not understand a single thing he does... but I won't stand for any whine.

I also like Trotter. Hope this is his one time gaffe.

Redbeard
09-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Hail2skins,

I was a little PO'ed Fox didn't have any shots of either of the double penalties from 3&29. And was skeptical of HOW bad could it be it the media missed it. Especially the way the media flocks to sensationlism like "unsportsmanlike conduct" spats. But if Trotter intentionally grabbed the face-mask, that's a double-fault in my book. One for getting suckered, two for gift-wrapping it.

If Trotter face-masked, the refs were not only correct. They were unquestionably correct. Sorry Riggo.

hail2skins
09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Agreed, I didn't know he grabbed the face mask. I thought he had jersey. I do agree it's a total bonehead play and anyone who has been in the league knows it. It's unexcusable.

Skins57
09-26-2003, 04:42 PM
He has to just walk away from that and not grab anything but he did not and he was flagged no one fault but his.

JoeDaSchmoe
09-26-2003, 11:14 PM
I doubt we'll see anything like that again for a while from Trotter. He's gotten a lot of flak for it.

hail2skins
09-27-2003, 04:29 AM
Yeah, especially with Spurrier smacking him on his helmet in practice.