PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rooting Card: Week 15

CNYSkinFan
12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Bring out the whips and chains, time for the weekly beat down of my soul:

Playoff Rooting Card: Week 15 (http://www.hailredskins.com/?p=631)

If you want to just know the games:

NO @ CHI: I want both teams to lose one more game to keep from three way tiebreakers. This week I will root for the Saints since we own the h2h tiebreaker. Go Saints!!!
WAS @ CIN: If we do not win this we do not deserve to be called an NFL team. Go Redskins!!
TB @ ATL: Kind of a tough call here as another loss for Tampa could allow us to have 2 spots to chase, still Tampa is more then likely the #5 unless they lose out, so might as well go for the most probable scenario for us. Go Bucs!!
MIN @ ARI: I want MN out of the picture and winning the North. Go Vikings!!
NYG @ DAL: In my opinion our playoff hopes could hinge on this game. Go Giants!!
CLE @ PHI: Perhaps a loss here can bring them back to earth. GO Browns!!

Keino
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
You are clearly a glutton for punishment.

Epochalypse
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
So you're saying there's a chance...

shally
12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
rooting for the browns is a painful exercise

in one way, it was good that the giants lost last week. i dont see them losing 2 weeks in a row to nfc east opponents.. and we have philly the following week to take care of ourselves... GOOOOOO Giants !!!!

redskin_rich
12-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Especially when they are 14 pt dogs, lol. Haven't the Browns played their best in prime time though?

akhhorus
12-11-2008, 11:11 AM
As far down the tiebreakers as we are, we need to focus on sacrificing chickens and goats, not just rooting for other teams lol

Keino
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I really don't care about the Philly-Browns game. We have to beat them to get in and by beating them, we own any possible tie-breaks with them.

shally
12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Especially when they are 14 pt dogs, lol. Haven't the Browns played their best in prime time though?

they did beat the giants.. but i think they are down to their 4th option at qb by now.. could be ugly

smave
12-11-2008, 12:27 PM
sigh, my has that loss to the Rams really put a hurten on us

Keino
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Yep. Everyone leaving the stadium that day knew that loss in particular was going to bite us....and it has....

CNYSkinFan
12-11-2008, 01:00 PM
You are clearly a glutton for punishment.

Well Im am A Redskin fan...

So you're saying there's a chance...

Yes. There is also a chance I am going to give Jennifer Garner a go sometime soon. Hey it could happen....

in one way, it was good that the giants lost last week. i dont see them losing 2 weeks in a row to nfc east opponents.. and we have philly the following week to take care of ourselves... GOOOOOO Giants !!!!

I really don't care about the Philly-Browns game. We have to beat them to get in and by beating them, we own any possible tie-breaks with them.

Yeah and the tie is going to really hurt Philly...but why the heck not lol. Maybe the Browns will catch the eagles peeking past them.

Yep. Everyone leaving the stadium that day knew that loss in particular was going to bite us....and it has....

Yep. NFC losses are always tyough, tougher against one of the worst teams in the league.

CNYSkinFan
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
As far down the tiebreakers as we are, we need to focus on sacrificing chickens and goats, not just rooting for other teams lol
I think we may be in human sacrifice range nest week...perhaps now we found a way to get rid of vinny.

Keino
12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I think we may be in human sacrifice range nest week...perhaps now we found a way to get rid of vinny.

And his final act would be something good for the Redskins........Where do I sign him up?

CNYSkinFan
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
And his final act would be something good for the Redskins........Where do I sign him up?
At the nearest Volcano

Keino
12-11-2008, 01:21 PM
At the nearest Volcano

My cursory research indicates that Yellowstone Caldera would be the nearest active Volcano.

Though with Zorn's time in Washington State, Mt. St. Helen's may be the most prudent choice....

Epochalypse
12-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes. There is also a chance I am going to give Jennifer Garner a go sometime soon. Hey it could happen....

Hmm...

oh I'm sorry I lost my train of thought when you mentioned Jennifer Garner...

oh wait did it again...

smoak
12-11-2008, 03:19 PM
go atlanta.

akhhorus
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM

The point of a sacrifice is an appeasement to the Gods of something you'll miss. Not rendering onto them a ***CENSORED BY DJ*** sandwich.

ChiefPowhatan17
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Honestly I am just worried about us winning our game right now. Cincinnati will be up for this game, they have a chance at ending our season.

CNYSkinFan
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
go atlanta.
duuuude......

shally
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Honestly I am just worried about us winning our game right now. Cincinnati will be up for this game, they have a chance at ending our season.

if going to the playoffs does not happen because of losses to the rams and cincy, we really dont deserve to be there...

skinsfan36
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
could have alot going for us.nut at the point we just need to frickin win

shally
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
saints defense let them down at the end of the 4th quarter and in the overtime.

got to feel bad for brees who really played his guts out

smoak
12-12-2008, 03:41 AM
duuuude......

they deserve it.
we don't.
i don't want dallass or philly in.

CNYSkinFan
12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
they deserve it.
we don't.
ok I agree but still lol

hogs86
12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
they deserve it.
we don't.

Rooting against your team is a bad thing. Its still not over. Three games is a long time to improve and get this thing turned around. You know durn well we all root for the skins and rooting for another team or not wanting your team to make the playoffs is just sick.

csquared
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Rooting against your team is a bad thing. Its still not over. Three games is a long time to improve and get this thing turned around. You know durn well we all root for the skins and rooting for another team or not wanting your team to make the playoffs is just sick.

Were you not the one that posted a thread about the season being over and starting Colt Brennan?

Edit: Here it is right here....http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=47805

hogs86
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=csquared;1178932]Were you not the one that posted a thread about the season being over and starting Colt Brennan?

Yep, if the redskins are eliminated from the playoffs why no get some film on Colt. I also would like to se Fred Davis play.

Death_Venom
12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Were you not the one that posted a thread about the season being over and starting Colt Brennan?

Yep, if the redskins are eliminated from the playoffs why no get some filmon Colt. I also would like to se Fred Davis play.

I could not disagree more about the C. Brennan part..........Campbell needs to continue to play the season out (regardless the outcome) so the Zorn & Campbell can iron out the wrinkles and work on plays. Brennan is a project that needs need ALOT more time to work on his throwing and mechanics.

I do agree about letting F. Davis getting some time tho'.............

hogskins
12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I could not disagree more about the C. Brennan part..........Campbell needs to continue to play the season out (regardless the outcome) so the Zorn & Campbell can iron out the wrinkles and work on plays. Brennan is a project that needs need ALOT more time to work on his throwing and mechanics.

I do agree about letting F. Davis getting some time tho'.............

I agree with you about both Brennan and Davis.

What I would really like to see is our Cincy OL depth chart. There has been a lot of speculation about what we'll do at tackle, but I would also be interested to see who is active for the game. It sounds like (from various sources) that Fabini will see significant time at RT (which might tide us over until we play the Eagles), but I'd love to see something more viable for the remainder of the season, and beyond ..

smoak
12-12-2008, 07:29 PM

if i hadn't had the week from hell, I'd argue with you... but I'm too tired. I'll just say that I am not rooting against the Skins. There is a difference between having ZERO faith and rooting against you team.

shally
12-12-2008, 07:46 PM
if i hadn't had the week from hell, I'd argue with you... but I'm too tired. I'll just say that I am not rooting against the Skins. There is a difference between having ZERO faith and rooting against you team.

totally understandable... but as bad as it is, this isnt even close to as bad as it felt for me under marty or norv or spurrier.. those were truly dark days

and even worse was that period when howie milstein was trying to buy the team and everything was in limbo

Death_Venom
12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
totally understandable... but as bad as it is, this isnt even close to as bad as it felt for me under marty or norv or spurrier.. those were truly dark days

and even worse was that period when howie milstein was trying to buy the team and everything was in limbo

Why OH WHY must you bring the those days??? How dreaded nightmare Norv and the Ole Ball Coach who did not apparently know football.......As far as Marty goes I dont have opinion there one way or the other.......Still you must refrain from bringing that stuff up...........:devil2:

give_portis_the_rock
12-12-2008, 10:47 PM
CNY,
Isnt that Philly-Cleveland game meaningless for us?
Since we'll probably have to win out to get in anyway, and one of those remaining games is against the Iggles.

NamVet4
12-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Rooting against your team is a bad thing. Its still not over. . .

"Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! " . . .

Just had to use one of my favorite quotes once this season :)

shally
12-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Why OH WHY must you bring the those days??? How dreaded nightmare Norv and the Ole Ball Coach who did not apparently know football.......As far as Marty goes I dont have opinion there one way or the other.......Still you must refrain from bringing that stuff up...........:devil2:

lol... just trying to bring perspective to the current situation.. i admit to overreacting myself, although i think this is going to be more of a long term problem IF zorn is to be a long term HC.

jtovb2005
12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
"Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! " . . .

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I didn't see that in the news?? :)

Redskinmayhem
12-13-2008, 05:19 PM

"Wormer dropped the big one. it's over".

2nd favorite movie of all time.

Patrick
12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
This thread should be done .......... ALL BY IT'S SELF!!!!
Next season is only 9.5 months away! ....... :rolleyes:

CNYSkinFan
12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
This thread should be done .......... ALL BY IT'S SELF!!!!
Next season is only 9.5 months away! ....... :rolleyes:
unfortunately we are not mathmatically eliminated...but don't worry...we will be next week.

smoak
12-14-2008, 06:15 PM
unfortunately we are not mathmatically eliminated...but don't worry...we will be next week.

i look forward to seeing your thread. :rolleyes:

skinsfan36
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
root on atlanta to get in now!

CNYSkinFan
12-14-2008, 07:45 PM
i look forward to seeing your thread. :rolleyes:
i don't look forward to writing it...but I can give oyu a preview...it wilol have ALOT of sarcasm

WinnpegSkinsFan
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
i don't look forward to writing it...but I can give oyu a preview...it wilol have ALOT of sarcasm

I appreciate your threads but you should save yourself the pain. We are all masochists to some degree because we cheer for the Redskins, but you take it to a new level. You're a stronger man than I, LOL.

CNYSkinFan
12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I appreciate your threads but you should save yourself the pain. We are all masochists to some degree because we cheer for the Redskins, but you take it to a new level. You're a stronger man than I, LOL.
I made a commitment and I intend on seeing it through. Unlike the redskins.......

CNYSkinFan
12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I am happy we won today and finally played decently on defense...but by virtue of Atlanta's win, we are eliminated form the playoffs. Though we went a long way of making Philly get eliminated too

ryflan47
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I am happy we won today and finally played decently on defense...but by virtue of Atlanta's win, we are eliminated form the playoffs. Though we went a long way of making Philly get eliminated too

Can you make another one next week..
(Rooting against Philly + Dallas making the playoffs)

techskinsfan
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
the vikes gave that game away...jackson fumbled on a sack and the ball flew 30 yards backwards, plus at least 2 fumbles by ap i saw...no luck

skinsfan36
12-21-2008, 11:08 PM
the vikes gave that game away...jackson fumbled on a sack and the ball flew 30 yards backwards, plus at least 2 fumbles by ap i saw...no luck

ap is a fumbling machine. losing to cincy,stl killed us. also if you need tavaris jackson to win for you ur screwed

SkinsfaninNJ
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Can you make another one next week..
(Rooting against Philly + Dallas making the playoffs)

+1 with the focus on what has to happen for Dallas to miss.

Redskin4Life
12-22-2008, 05:31 AM

CNY, why are we out? If Philly beats Dallas and we beat the 49ers, then wouldn't we get in (we swept them)? Assuming TB and Chicago loses, is a tie worth something more than a loss? I mean isn't your winning percentage the number of wins divided by total games (9 wins/16 games for both us and the Eagles)?

Taylor21TheUndertaker
12-22-2008, 05:38 AM
CNY, why are we out? If Philly beats Dallas and we beat the 49ers, then wouldn't we get in (we swept them)? Assuming TB and Chicago loses, is a tie worth something more than a loss? I mean isn't your winning percentage the number of wins divided by total games (9 wins/16 games for both us and the Eagles)?

There was a tie.... philly 9-6-1, Was 9-7

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Would you rather tie or lose a game?

A tie is obviously worth more than a loss. Winning percentage means nothing at the end of the season. It's just a way of comparing records during the season where teams may have played a different number of games.

Redskin4Life
12-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Would you rather tie or lose a game?

A tie is obviously worth more than a loss. Winning percentage means nothing at the end of the season. It's just a way of comparing records during the season where teams may have played a different number of games.

I understand a tie is BETTER than a loss but the mantra I've always heard was a tie is basically a loss as far as the winning percentage. But when I went to check the standings, I saw that Philly had a higher winning percentage than we do despite the fact that we've both got only 9 wins. So my question is... is a tie worth something like in hockey? I thought a tie doesn't add any points to your winning percentage (essentially it's like both teams lost the game)...

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I understand a tie is BETTER than a loss but the mantra I've always heard was a tie is basically a loss as far as the winning percentage. But when I went to check the standings, I saw that Philly had a higher winning percentage than we do despite the fact that we've both got only 9 wins. So my question is... is a tie worth something like in hockey? I thought a tie doesn't add any points to your winning percentage (essentially it's like both teams lost the game)...

Again, ignore winning percentage. It's useless. If you really wanna think about it in terms of winning percentage (although it is tecnically incorrect) whink of it this way: we won 9 games out of 16, the Eagles 9 games out of 15 (or 9,5 games out of 16).
As for the mantra, it's wrong. A tie is a tie, it's not "basically a loss". Whoever said that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Redskin4Life
12-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Again, ignore winning percentage. It's useless. If you really wanna think about it in terms of winning percentage (although it is tecnically incorrect) whink of it this way: we won 9 games out of 16, the Eagles 9 games out of 15 (or 9,5 games out of 16).
As for the mantra, it's wrong. A tie is a tie, it's not "basically a loss". Whoever said that doesn't know what they are talking about.

Spicy, so how does one get into the playoffs again? I believe it's based on the number of wins a team has (ie winning percentage)???

Here's the big dilemma... I thought that the NFL might do what you just outlined above (Eagles played only 15, games one a tie). But then they should have the same winning percentage as the Bears since they're 8-6 right now. But they don't... Philly's win percentage is 0.567 while Chicago's is 0.571. So again, a tie is worth something according to win percentage?

PS... dude, why so cranky?

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Spicy, so how does one get into the playoffs again? I believe it's based on the number of wins a team has (ie winning percentage)???

Here's the big dilemma... I thought that the NFL might do what you just outlined above (Eagles played only 15, games one a tie). But then they should have the same winning percentage as the Bears since they're 8-6 right now. But they don't... Philly's win percentage is 0.567 while Chicago's is 0.571. So again, a tie is worth something according to win percentage?

PS... dude, why so cranky?
Because yesterday we were eliminated from the PO.. ;)

Seriously, final standings aren't determined by winning percentage. They are determined by number of wins and losses. Since ties are part of the equation, they are worth half a win. So the Eagles, if they win the last game, will have "won" 9,5 games.

Philly: 8.5 % 15 = .56666
Chicago: 8 % 14 = .571

And number of wins is not equal to winning percentage. Number of wins is the number of games you won, period. Winning percentage takes into account the number of games you played as well.

Epochalypse
12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Actually it is winning percentage but ties don't factor in. The reason Philly has a higher winning percentage but the same number of wins is because they divide those wins by one fewer game. Philly's winning percentage is 9 divided by 14 as opposed to our 9 divided by 15.

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Actually it is winning percentage but ties don't factor in. The reason Philly has a higher winning percentage but the same number of wins is because they divide those wins by one fewer game. Philly's winning percentage is 9 divided by 14 as opposed to our 9 divided by 15.
This is incorrect.

9 % 14=.642, which is not Philly's current winning percentage (and Philly hasn't even won 9 games yet).

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

SkinsKY
12-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Wrong. Instead of looking at wins, look at losing pct. If philly is 8-6-1 and we're at 8-7. They have lost one fewer than us, therefore they are ahead of us. Are we done with this yet?

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Wrong. Instead of looking at wins, look at losing pct. If philly is 8-6-1 and we're at 8-7. They have lost one fewer than us, therefore they are ahead of us. Are we done with this yet?

If I'm not mistaken, we should be the #1 seed in the NFC right?

Epochalypse
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
This is incorrect.

9 % 14=.642, which is not Philly's current winning percentage (and Philly hasn't even won 9 games yet).

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

My mistake, I was wrong on two accounts here. First, I thought we and Philly had 9 wins instead of 8 and second, after a bit of math it seems that ties count as halves which I believe someone mentioned earlier. So our win pct is 8/15, Philly 8.5/15.

Guess I'm not too old a dog to keep learning :smash::thinker:

SpicyMcHaggis
12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
My mistake, I was wrong on two accounts here. First, I thought we and Philly had 9 wins instead of 8 and second, after a bit of math it seems that ties count as halves which I believe someone mentioned earlier. So our win pct is 8/15, Philly 8.5/15.

Guess I'm not too old a dog to keep learning :smash:
That would be me. ;)

By far the most depressing fact is this: we were eliminated from the playoffs because we lost to the BENGALS and the Eagles tied them.

shally
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
That would be me. ;)

By far the most depressing fact is this: we were eliminated from the playoffs because we lost to the BENGALS and the Eagles tied them.

actually we are not in the playoffs because we lost to the bengals and rams.. that is all anyone needs to know..11-5 coulda woulda shoulda...

smave
12-22-2008, 12:54 PM
actually we are not in the playoffs because we lost to the bengals and rams.. that is all anyone needs to know..11-5 coulda woulda shoulda...

all we had to do is win ONE of those two games, and we were in.