PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Ralph Friedgen being let go at UM

CarMike
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Due to health problems.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=3640256

smoot
12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Rumors for a while have been that Maryland desperately wants Turner Gil from Buffalo.

p.s. almost all of the scout.com membership and information has moved to terpcenter.com

smoot
12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks like there's already conflicting reports. In that same thread, Chris Turner's dad (CrespiBoy) is saying that Chris thinks Ralph isn't going anywhere.

CarMike
12-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, that's why I made sure to put "rumor" in my thread title.

I would like to see Ralph get his weight issue in check. Rivalry or not, I don't want to see him leave his family at this stage in his life.

smoot
12-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that's why I made sure to put "rumor" in my thread title.

I would like to see Ralph get his weight issue in check. Rivalry or not, I don't want to see him leave his family at this stage in his life.
Even if this is true, i'm not sure i believe the whole "health" report. Yeah, he's overweight, but it's much more likely that this is a mutual resignation which lets UMD give Ralph a smaller buyout while at the same time allowing Ralph to leave with more respect and thus find another job easier.

CarMike
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
If that's the case, and I was FR, there's no way i'd leave like that. I'd make them pay me every penny of my contract. Leaving with respect or not.

Didn't Maryland make it to a bowl game this year?

smoot
12-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, but it was still a disappointing year in that the two games Maryland had to win the ACC (FSU, BC), they completely crapped the bed in a late season collapse (can you say 1-5 Redskins). People have been calling for his head for a while now and those two games have pushed alot of people over the top

CarMike
12-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I would hate to see Turner Gill wind up at Maryland.

smoot
12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I would hate to see Turner Gill wind up at Maryland.
Why's that?

CarMike
12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Great coach and would be able to recruit players to Maryland easily.

smoot
12-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Fair enough.... but could he do THIS? (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recap?gid=200811150005)

CarMike
12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
probably so. We played prevent defense wayyy to much this year. We hardly ever blitzed. Especially on drives that end the game and at the end of halves.

akhhorus
12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I buy that they'd want to replace him with Gil, but the Fridge is out on the recruiting trail like he's staying in College Park.

smoot
12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I buy that they'd want to replace him with Gil, but the Fridge is out on the recruiting trail like he's staying in College Park.
Eh, it was a good year for recruitment, but the majority of it gets put on Cosh (primary school recruiter, now gone to KSU) and Franklin (Fridge's most likely successor.

Besides, the year wasn't even that great, 3 four stars, 14 three stars, and the rest two stars. Obviously stars don't mean a whole lot, but they're a decent indicator

akhhorus
12-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Eh, it was a good year for recruitment, but the majority of it gets put on Cosh (primary school recruiter, now gone to KSU) and Franklin (Fridge's most likely successor.

Ok, but if Fridge was negotiating or thinking about an exit, he wouldn't be recruiting right now.

smoot
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok, but if Fridge was negotiating or thinking about an exit, he wouldn't be recruiting right now.
True, unless it's a situation ala Fulmer and the increase in recruiting is an effort to keep his job. Far-fetched i know, but a definite possibility.

Besides, i'm also hearing reports that Yow just extended him until 2020, which is !!! worthy as he'll be 75 by then. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. My bet is on him not getting fired, not getting an extension, and nothing changing.

akhhorus
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
True, unless it's a situation ala Fulmer and the increase in recruiting is an effort to keep his job. Far-fetched i know, but a definite possibility.

Indeed, but when a coach leaves a program, you're almost certain to lose half your recruiting class. When Clemson fired Bowden(despite keeping their recruiting coordinator), they lost most of the top half of their recruiting class. If Fridge bolted for any reason, and no matter how smooth a transition, everyone and their money will jump in on the Terps' recruiting class.

Besides, i'm also hearing reports that Yow just extended him until 2020, which is !!! worthy as he'll be 75 by then. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. My bet is on him not getting fired, not getting an extension, and nothing changing.

Thats odd. Fridge has been decent/good, but that would be surprising.

smoot
12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Indeed, but when a coach leaves a program, you're almost certain to lose half your recruiting class. When Clemson fired Bowden(despite keeping their recruiting coordinator), they lost most of the top half of their recruiting class. If Fridge bolted for any reason, and no matter how smooth a transition, everyone and their money will jump in on the Terps' recruiting class.

While this is true, i don't see how it would affect Fridge's actions on the recruiting trail. While it becomes more difficult for coaches to recruit if they know they aren't returning the next year, that doesn't mean the effort lessens. Also, the majority of the recruiting occurred during the course of the season before Maryland's collapse against FSU and BC, when both Maryland and Fridge were riding high atop the ACC, before his job security came into question.

Thats odd. Fridge has been decent/good, but that would be surprising.

Very much so.

akhhorus
12-21-2008, 10:40 PM
While this is true, i don't see how it would affect Fridge's actions on the recruiting trail.

I don't think he would be out recruiting players who could possibly bolt, especially if he went into their living room and told him they would be there.

While it becomes more difficult for coaches to recruit if they know they aren't returning the next year, that doesn't mean the effort lessens.

You send out the assistants and recruiting coordinators in this situation(because they may be retained), you don't go out yourself. Fridge has been going out himself apparently.

Also, the majority of the recruiting occurred during the course of the season before Maryland's collapse against FSU and BC, when both Maryland and Fridge were riding high atop the ACC, before his job security came into question.

That doesn't really matter. You recruit year round, and coaches use the gap from the end of the regular season to the bowls(especially if you're playing in a bowl) as a major recruiting time.

smoot
12-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think he would be out recruiting players who could possibly bolt, especially if he went into their living room and told him they would be there.

You send out the assistants and recruiting coordinators in this situation(because they may be retained), you don't go out yourself. Fridge has been going out himself apparently.

I haven't heard much of him doing this anywhere above the norm, where are you seeing this?

That doesn't really matter. You recruit year round, and coaches use the gap from the end of the regular season to the bowls(especially if you're playing in a bowl) as a major recruiting time.

To some extent yes, but let's look at Maryland. For this year's incoming recruiting class, Maryland has 4 players that they are still actively recruiting, 3 of which they are extremely unlikely to get (Jenkins, Austin, White). Maryland has all but given up on Jenkins, Austin has announced a top two of UNC and WVU, and White is close to committing to PSU. The lone player that Maryland still has a realistic shot at, Holmes, took his official visit to the school on December 12. With 24 of 28 possible scholarship's given away in this year's class already, these are the only four still being targeted because they are immediate impact players. There is not much recruiting still being done, the bulk was finished a while ago.

Patrick
12-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Personally - I would like to see Ralph retire.
He's a good guy and he always thinks of the kids and thier education .... but
He's an average recruiter at best and that's sinking the Maryland program.
Next season - I only see five wins (at best)

akhhorus
12-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I haven't heard much of him doing this anywhere above the norm, where are you seeing this?

Rivals, they had an official visit this weekend that led to a commit. The head coach meets with the guy during an official visit.

To some extent yes, but let's look at Maryland. For this year's incoming recruiting class, Maryland has 4 players that they are still actively recruiting, 3 of which they are extremely unlikely to get (Jenkins, Austin, White). Maryland has all but given up on Jenkins, Austin has announced a top two of UNC and WVU, and White is close to committing to PSU. The lone player that Maryland still has a realistic shot at, Holmes, took his official visit to the school on December 12. With 24 of 28 possible scholarship's given away in this year's class already, these are the only four still being targeted because they are immediate impact players. There is not much recruiting still being done, the bulk was finished a while ago.

And there will be scholarship opening up from early entries in the NFL. I don't knwo what you do in the ACC, but Spurrier(and all the SEC coaches) go around to their top recruits and shore them up personally.

smoot
12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Rivals, they had an official visit this weekend that led to a commit. The head coach meets with the guy during an official visit.

Of course, i assumed you were implying that he was personally recruiting more than average this year.

And there will be scholarship opening up from early entries in the NFL. I don't knwo what you do in the ACC, but Spurrier(and all the SEC coaches) go around to their top recruits and shore them up personally.

The only possibility of and early entry is DHB. And as i said above, of course the head coach always wraps up a commitment at the end of the process, but that's about the maximum that they do. A head coach doesnt stop trying to bring in recruits just because his job may be in jeopardy.

akhhorus
12-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Of course, i assumed you were implying that he was personally recruiting more than average this year.

The only possibility of and early entry is DHB. And as i said above, of course the head coach always wraps up a commitment at the end of the process, but that's about the maximum that they do. A head coach doesnt stop trying to bring in recruits just because his job may be in jeopardy.

Absolutely not, but if he's working out some exit with UMD to save some face, he wouldn't be hosting official visits during this time period.

smoot
12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Absolutely not, but if he's working out some exit with UMD to save some face, he wouldn't be hosting official visits during this time period.
Eh, disagree.

Either way, the rumor seems to have run it's course and flamed out already.

Alex 22
12-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I think that it's hardly possible