PDA

View Full Version : Ladell Betts

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I am sick and tired of Betts as our backup running back i think the skins should draft another running back with one of the middle round picks they have........does anyone feel the same way ?

Tha Boss Hogg
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I am sick and tired of Betts as our backup running back i think the skins should draft another running back with one of the middle round picks they have........does anyone feel the same way ?

He fumbles too much yes, they should restructure his contract next...

BurgundyNGold
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes. I didn't like drafting him and I haven't liked much about him since he's been here. About the only thing I do like is that he's pretty cheap but there are any number of other RB I would rather have back there.

Ibleedburgundy
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
meh, this could be taken care of on the cheap via free agency.

AliBabba
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Q: What's a change of pace back?
A: A backup RB that does roughly the same things as your starter, only slower and not as well -- Vinny Cerrato

BurgundyNGold
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
damn! this could have be taken care of on the cheap via free agency.
Fixed for you. ;)

AliBabba
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Fixed for you. ;)
In spirit yes that's fixed, but I think IBB could teach you a thing or two about grammar, specifically the verb "to be" ... it's a tough one for sure

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes. I didn't like drafting him and I haven't liked much about him since he's been here. About the only thing I do like is that he's pretty cheap but there are any number of other RB I would rather have back there.

If im correct Ladell is making 5million a year if so.......overpayed! eveytime he gets tackled i hold mt breath thinking we bout to turn the rock over ! this could definitely be address for cheap in free agency!

PLEASE CERRATO DO SOMETHING RIGHT

AliBabba
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
If im correct Ladell is making 5million a year if so.......overpayed! eveytime he gets tackled i hold mt breath thinking we bout to turn the rock over ! this could definitely be address for cheap in free agency!

PLEASE CERRATO DO SOMETHING RIGHT
I think it's actually about half that ... 2.5ish

nicefellow31
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM

I agree with you on your thoughts, but since we don't have that many draft picks I would say that this needs to wait until next year or via FA.

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Marcus Mason we are sorry..............PLEASE COME BACK!

colkurtz
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
We need a younger and different type of RB than Betts. I'm surprised that they haven't worked FA better to get some competition for TC.

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Last but not least that jersey # is the worst alltime ! #46 is terrible !

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
We need a younger and different type of RB than Betts. I'm surprised that they haven't worked FA better to get some competition for TC.

only if we could get our hands on a chester taylor type running back !

GreenspanDan
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Q: What's a change of pace back?
A: A backup RB that does roughly the same things as your starter, only slower and not as well -- Vinny Cerrato

exactly. dump betts and pick up someone who ISN'T a poor man's portis.

GreenspanDan
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
i am always tempted to bring up sellers as a possible "change of pace" for portis, but unfortunately he's done an uncanny job of blowing the few opportunities he's been given with the rock :( :(

Tha Boss Hogg
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
exactly. dump betts and pick up someone who ISN'T a poor man's portis.

We need fast playmakers on that offense...

SkinsFan#26
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
i am always tempted to bring up sellers as a possible "change of pace" for portis, but unfortunately he's done an uncanny job of blowing the few opportunities he's been given with the rock :( :(

that brings up another topic Mike Sellers this what i think of him:
1. good run blocker/pass catcher
2. for someone so big he is the sadest goaline runner i have ever seen he always fumbles going back to 2005

shally
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
nothing will happen with betts this year. alridge MAY give us some instant offense.. other than that, we use what we have

lorimike
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I am sick and tired of Betts as our backup running back i think the skins should draft another running back with one of the middle round picks they have........does anyone feel the same way ?<<<

If we didn't have so many glaring needs at other positions I think the case could be made that we should use our top pick on a RB. I like Chris Wells in a trade down scenario in round 1. Clinton is still only 27 ( he will be 28 in Sept) but he's gotta lot of miles and seemed to be laying out on the field a lot as the season wore on.

shally
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
<<<

If we didn't have so many glaring needs at other positions I think the case could be made that we should use our top pick on a RB. I like Chris Wells in a trade down scenario in round 1. Clinton is still only 27 ( he will be 28 in Sept) but he's gotta lot of miles and seemed to be laying out on the field a lot as the season wore on.

off of radar.. we could have looked at either ward or morris and didnt even think about it

they are happy with what we have

AliBabba
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
<<<

seriously, Beanie Wells? you kidding me? If we had Probowlers at every position on both lines that'd still be a bad pick. That prima donna is gonna spend half his time in street clothes and the other half avoiding contact. NO thanks, there's much more value in drafting RBs outside of the 1st round anyhow.

BurgundyNGold
03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Marcus Mason we are sorry..............PLEASE COME BACK!
He's too busy with his Legion of Awesome gig. ;)

SkinsfaninNJ
03-03-2009, 05:56 PM
off of radar.. we could have looked at either ward or morris and didnt even think about it

Morris could have helped here.

nicefellow31
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
2. for someone so big he is the sadest goaline runner i have ever seen he always fumbles going back to 2005

As big as he is, Sellers kills me when he tries to jump over the pile instead of smashing thru them.

shoogknight
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM

It would be nice if we could ever know if Zorn would like an additional or different backup RB (or maybe starter) or if he is OK with the roster.

I get the feeling Snyder/Cerrato don't even consult the Coach.

BSMKF
03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Betts used to be a bad ass back up RB but he seemed to lose a step last year.

I'm ready for a young and more explosive RB myself.

BurgundyNGold
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
As big as he is, Sellers kills me when he tries to jump over the pile instead of smashing thru them.
Speaking of which, Lo Neal is out there still. If you want to help your running game, he's a cheap, sure fire way to do that.

coffdogg
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I am sick and tired of Betts as our backup running back i think the skins should draft another running back with one of the middle round picks they have........does anyone feel the same way ? Betts is not a change of pace for Portis and he fumbles too much. Paying that much money to a guy who barely touches the ball is a joke. I thought that we should have traded him while he had value, now we would be lucky to get a fourth for him

shally
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Speaking of which, Lo Neal is out there still. If you want to help your running game, he's a cheap, sure fire way to do that.

38 years old... or something like that.. but the list of 1000 yard rushers he has excorted is a mile long. the guy does only 1 thing, lead block, but he may do it better than anyone since charlie harraway (remember him guys ??)

shally
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Betts is not a change of pace for Portis and he fumbles too much. Paying that much money to a guy who barely touches the ball is a joke. I thought that we should have traded him while he had value, now we would be lucky to get a fourth for him

he does a couple of things well:

good hands for the screen or wheel route
picks up the blitz

then again, if we could get edge james for the same price as betts, i would jump on it

ZainZ
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Okay this is my first time postin on this forum. need i remind all of you ladell betts ran for 1000 yards in a certain season where he started 8 games. hes a solid number two running back and one of the best in league. when ur a running back u need enough carries to get into a rhythm. its like basketball. if u come into the game off the bench and shoot two shots and knw thtats all ur gonna get u have less confidence to play that way. even for a number two running back they give him LIMITED CARRIES. they run the WHEELS off of portis and ladell betts a few carries here n there. when ladell gets the opportunity to get consistent carries he will flourish in the offense. betts also gets through tackles better than portis and has a solid breakaway speed and has better hands on the screen passes

ZainZ
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
in addition to that, the offensive coordination for our team is garbage. they run the wheels off of portis, no number two rb of ours will ever flourish in our offense because we dont create opportunities for other players. hb gut to portis, hb dive to portis, screen to moss, and we do it all over again.

shally
03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
in addition to that, the offensive coordination for our team is garbage. they run the wheels off of portis, no number two rb of ours will ever flourish in our offense because we dont create opportunities for other players. hb gut to portis, hb dive to portis, screen to moss, and we do it all over again.

welcome

this is a great site..

betts is still mediocre at best, and fumbles far too often for my tastes.. he runs hard for a bout 3 games a year, and that is it for him

ZainZ
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
respectable. i understand. i jus feel like he needs more carries to get into the flow of the offense

Poindexter
03-04-2009, 05:26 AM
We should sign Deuce McAllister...he filed for bankruptcy becuase of a dealership. He should come cheap and he could learn how to run a real dealership in D.C. with Eastern Motors, lol.

Gravy
03-04-2009, 05:51 AM
38 years old... or something like that.. but the list of 1000 yard rushers he has excorted is a mile long. the guy does only 1 thing, lead block, but he may do it better than anyone since charlie harraway (remember him guys ??)

My Dad loved Charlie Harraway...but I don't think your as old as my dad:rolleyes:

firehawk157
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Okay this is my first time postin on this forum. need i remind all of you ladell betts ran for 1000 yards in a certain season where he started 8 games. hes a solid number two running back and one of the best in league. when ur a running back u need enough carries to get into a rhythm. its like basketball. if u come into the game off the bench and shoot two shots and knw thtats all ur gonna get u have less confidence to play that way. even for a number two running back they give him LIMITED CARRIES. they run the WHEELS off of portis and ladell betts a few carries here n there. when ladell gets the opportunity to get consistent carries he will flourish in the offense. betts also gets through tackles better than portis and has a solid breakaway speed and has better hands on the screen passes
Portis, if he had the blocking Betts had in 06, could have moonwalked for 1000 yards. Not to mention Betts lost games with his fumbles (St Louis painfully comes to mind) and is seemingly allergic to the endzone.

NamVet4
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
http://miscellaneousimages1.colony1.net/11101/charley_harraway_sport_card.jpg

For those not old enough to remember! :)

firehawk157
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Wow, I didn't know they had the printing press back then...

Patrick
03-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Aw Yes . What a great compliment player to Larry Brown. An undersize full-back (215 lbs) but had more than enough heart to make up for it. Excellent short yardage man. And I loved watching him play!

hogskins
03-04-2009, 07:47 AM

He has become less effective as a goal line runner in recent years--I have to think that part of that is our redzone offense, but the other part is that he tries to get airborne.

Also, he has pretty lousy hands, or some lack of concentration on passes.

3644Skins
03-04-2009, 08:06 AM

I was waiting for a positve reaction to Ladell. Personally I think with the starting spot to himself Ladell would at least match Clinton's output in rushing and easily surpass him in receptions. And he would do it without the drama and paycheck that Clinton gets. Ladell is a good back, yes he's had a fumble problem through out the years but Clinton's had a health problem, a can't keep his mouth shut problem and a inability to live up to his enormous contract problem. Give me Ladell Betts over Clinton.

Fathead
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Betts is a fumble machine who dissappears when the game is on the line.

AliBabba
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Give me Ladell Betts over Clinton.

That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

Fathead
03-04-2009, 08:25 AM
My wife and I laugh every time Betts goes in the game. We immediately call it:

"Gain of 2, gain of 1, incomplete, punt."

firehawk157
03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
That's really all you can say too. There's so much fail with what he said.

AliBabba
03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
My wife and I laugh every time Betts goes in the game. We immediately call it:

"Gain of 2, gain of 1, incomplete, punt."
Hence the moniker "Liddle Bitts"

Fathead
03-04-2009, 08:44 AM
lol

The reason we laugh is because the alternative is to cry. Ugh. I hate how much my blood pressure is Redskins dependant during the season.

shally
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
My Dad loved Charlie Harraway...but I don't think your as old as my dad:rolleyes:

62 next week.. is that old enough ?

i thought he played at about 230 ? he was called " the third guard" for a reason, and it wasnt just his blocking. he was a big guy for his time..

shally
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM

+1, in any way, except as a receiver.. at that, betts has the better, more consistent hands

shally
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Aw Yes . What a great compliment player to Larry Brown. An undersize full-back (215 lbs) but had more than enough heart to make up for it. Excellent short yardage man. And I loved watching him play!

and the great leroy kelly before that, with the browns

Gravy
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM

i thought he played at about 230 ? he was called " the third guard" for a reason, and it wasnt just his blocking. he was a big guy for his time..

My pop is 70...an ole sports fan and almanac...are family grew up a FSU fans cause Dad was a Bobby Bowden fan...when he was QBing Samford, how about them apples...okay:Offtopic:...Anywho, time to part ways with Betts and find a "Darren Sproles" type back-up

LASkin
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM

I remembered him as lighter, so I looked him up on NFL.com. He in fact was 215 lbs. - good for his time, but not remarkable. Maybe equivalent to 230 today.

He wasn't a great blocker because of his weight - it was his perfect technique and his frame. He was built a little lanky, but he had big wide shoulders and a big trunk and he would somehow just engulf LBs and DEs. He was probably a better blocker than some of the OGs the skins had at the time.

By the way, good to see that at least one person on this board is older than me.

SkinsFan#26
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Ladell Betts is garbage get em' outta here !