PDA

View Full Version : La Confora: Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn Meet the Press

LATrueRedskin
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009-nfl-draft/snyder-cerrato-zorn-meet-the-p.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Snyder: "There are players every year that are the consensus 'hot guy' with the media and throughout the league, but really what interests me more is the work of the scouts and coaches and Vinny's group that they put in throughout the year than just the hot guy."

HA!

akhhorus
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
http://dunamai.com/Humor/BagdadBob/images/bagdad_bob_large.gif

"Mark who?"

shally
04-22-2009, 05:33 PM
http://dunamai.com/Humor/BagdadBob/images/bagdad_bob_large.gif

"Mark who?"

perfect..lol

i was wondering where Baghdad Bob ended up................

Question? WTF is snyder doing even participating in this type of conference ? Would Bob Kraft ?
maybe only jerry jones would.. that is emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this franchise

JasonCampbell
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
The press conference is also in ESPN 980's audio vault for those that don't wish to read.

I'll save you 20 minutes...they don't tell you who they are drafting :)

firehawk157
04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
perfect..lol

i was wondering where Baghdad Bob ended up................

Question? WTF is snyder doing even participating in this type of conference ? Would Bob Kraft ?
maybe only jerry jones would.. that is emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this franchise
Baghdad Bob ended up captured and he had a fairly easy captivity. We knew he didn't know anything...

firehawk157
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
The press conference is also in ESPN 980's audio vault for those that don't wish to read.

I'll save you 20 minutes...they don't tell you who they are drafting :)
They don't tell you anything of substance if I remember. But I bet nobody past the top-5 have a clear clue who they are drafting...

akhhorus
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
They don't tell you anything of substance if I remember. But I bet nobody past the top-5 have a clear clue who they are drafting...

Yeah, I've read the transcript a couple times and they say basically nothing in it. They either have no clue or are working on contingencies with no backup plan if Sanchez is taken too high.

LATrueRedskin
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I've read the transcript a couple times and they say basically nothing in it. They either have no clue or are working on contingencies with no backup plan if Sanchez is taken too high.

That's what I'm afraid of. They think they're getting Sanchez and have no idea what to do when he's off the board. They could possibly be thinking about what else they can give up in order to move up and get him. I have a feeling if we do trade up, it'll be for more then what the Broncos were asking for Cutler.

JasonCampbell
04-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Get this...this Friday at 5 pm Doc Walker will interview Snyder, Vinny, and Zorn on the radio. So...23 hours before the start of the draft, the people making the selections have NOTHING BETTER TO DO than go onto a radio show owned by Snyder and basically say a bunch of nothing for probably 30 minutes. Complete and utter incompetence.

I am going to imagine they won't be taking callers, but if they do, I fully intend on asking that question.

redskin_rich
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM

The back up plan, if Sanchez is gone and the phone isn't ringing when the Skins are on the clock, is to refer to Vinny's BPA chart. Gawd help us, Vinny will probably say, "look, the top rated TE is still there! That's value!"

akhhorus
04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. They think they're getting Sanchez and have no idea what to do when he's off the board. They could possibly be thinking about what else they can give up in order to move up and get him. I have a feeling if we do trade up, it'll be for more then what the Broncos were asking for Cutler.

Sadly, I agree with this. I think if they don't get Sanchez, they'll panic and deal down for 40 cents on the dollar.

Get this...this Friday at 5 pm Doc Walker will interview Snyder, Vinny, and Zorn on the radio. So...23 hours before the start of the draft, the people making the selections have NOTHING BETTER TO DO than go onto a radio show owned by Snyder and basically say a bunch of nothing for probably 30 minutes. Complete and utter incompetence.

I am going to imagine they won't be taking callers, but if they do, I fully intend on asking that question.

They'll take callers, but they'll be Larry Michael(and his staff) reading questions that Snyder wrote himself.

firehawk157
I don't think so. They said they've identified two major spots of need, so I think they take BPA with a slant to those two. They never actually said what those need areas are but it's hard to imagine they aren't OT and OLB.

akhhorus
The back up plan, if Sanchez is gone and the phone isn't ringing when the Skins are on the clock, is to refer to Vinny's BPA chart. Gawd help us, Vinny will probably say, "look, the top rated TE is still there! That's value!"

Vinny: Is it too soon to take a fullback?
Snyder: Never too soon for that Vinny...never too soon....

firehawk157
04-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Well Doc said he's going to really touch on the JC vs. Sanchez and Cutler thing, so I look forward to their answers to that.

Regardless, I'm very much with your sentiments here. It's like, don't you have more pressing concerns at that point? If nothing else, I would expect them to be in Nashville, at a hotel, getting rest.

firehawk157
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
As a matter of fact, franchise fullbacks are usually traded up for

JasonCampbell
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Sadly, I agree with this. I think if they don't get Sanchez, they'll panic and deal down for 40 cents on the dollar.

If they panic, I think it would be more giving up too much to move up than get too little and drop down. I'm somewhat concerned about a bidding war we could get into with another team at #4/#8 if Seattle/Jacksonville wants out. Snyder already lost one in the Cutler deal. Is he willing to lose another if the price is too high?

I mean, at the very least we could draft our starting SLB more than likely at #13. The team gets a starter and the fan base would be content with that considering all the crazy rumors we've been hearing.

redskin_rich
04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Vinny: Ok, cool. Wait! The Eagles are on the phone offering their 2nd round pick and a 6th in 2010. We can use that 2nd to acquire the top Punter in the nation and we'll be covered for the next ten years!
Danny: Yes! Do it!

colkurtz
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
The reason Snyder and Cerrato went on tv is to prove that they aren't on vacation right now. They've got this draft thing NAILED DOWN after 8 years.

They've got EVERYONE FOOLED and have multiple contingency plans.

I wonder is JC will be a Redskin by the end of this weekend.

Keino
04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I will be in Tampa. It's a good thing, because if I were in DC I would likely try to sneak some automatic weapons and attend this "Meeting of the Press".

Not one more Penny beyond my contractual obligation? Do you hear me Danny Boy with your belt buckle you BAMA!

skinsfan36
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think so. They said they've identified two major spots of need, so I think they take BPA with a slant to those two. They never actually said what those need areas are but it's hard to imagine they aren't OT and OLB.

they have to be. the phillip daniels has us set at DE line(or to that extent) made me vomit

skinsfan36
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
i think the plan is try to get sanchez,then orakpo then hope oher falls. next plan is to trade down. then if that fails they will draft rey mauguala

shally
04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
i think the plan is try to get sanchez,then orakpo then hope oher falls. next plan is to trade down. then if that fails they will draft rey mauguala

just draft maulauga to begin with and everyone can go home smiling and we will look like geniuses when he is D-ROY and an impact player for years to come...

colkurtz
04-23-2009, 05:26 AM
just draft maulauga to begin with and everyone can go home smiling and we will look like geniuses when he is D-ROY and an impact player for years to come...

+1. Draft Maulauga; then use the rest of the picks for the OL. Pick up John Runyon.

Unfortunately, Dan Snyder appears to have what we call in the fighter aircraft business: "TARGET FIXATION", i.e., you stare and concentrate so much on the target that you crash into it or hit the ground.

dj_stouty
04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
The back up plan, if Sanchez is gone and the phone isn't ringing when the Skins are on the clock, is to refer to Vinny's BPA chart.

And with the 13th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft; the Washington Redskins select.............Ohio State running back, Chris "Beanie" Wells.

smittyskin
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

For those in the Malauga camp, where would you have him play? SSLB? Can he play this position?

skin4ever
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
And with the 13th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft; the Washington Redskins select.............Ohio State running back, Chris "Beanie" Wells.

That would actually be pretty funny.

Skinzlover223
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
"Cerrato on having only one pick in the first 79 because they traded their second-round pick for defensive end Jason Taylor: "It is what it is. We made a trade last year with our second-round pick. We wish Jason [Taylor] would have stayed healthy, but it is what it is."

Did this answer make anyone else want to waterboard Vinny. It is what it is!! For some reason that answer just heated me up.

culpeper
04-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Vinny: Especially since we have him rated as a 4th rounder and we dont have any more picks till the 7th round! This is how I shop at Costco BTW

Snyder: Lets draft Costco...

ChiefPowhatan17
04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
I love how they always have this press conference to say nothing. They shouldn't say anything anyways, but it's kind of funny to hear them sidestep every question.. It's like Gibbs taught them how to be like him, the master at saying nothing over and over again.

shally
04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I love how they always have this press conference to say nothing. They shouldn't say anything anyways, but it's kind of funny to hear them sidestep every question.. It's like Gibbs taught them how to be like him, the master at saying nothing over and over again.

who care what they say ?.. their actions are what screws up this franchise time and again...

skinsfan36
04-23-2009, 01:05 PM

i agree with you between him and curry they are the two safest players in the draft. safe=what we need along with a playmaker

NCskinsfanatic
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
This is Jasons Q&A from fans today...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/04/22/DI2009042202698.html

ARParr
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
man, i just want this draft over and done with. tired of waiting, guessing, speculating. i just wanna move on. mostly because i don't think anyone in the FO has learned anything over the last 8 years, and i think that our record this year will be within 1 game, plus or minus, of what we did last year.

having said that, if i'm proven wrong and we deccide to use this draft to build the lines, then i'll feel better. not necessarily about the upcoming season, but about the direction in which the team is moving.

dj_stouty
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
This is Jasons Q&A from fans today...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/04/22/DI2009042202698.html

So, in JLC's mind....

Skins will entertain trading up for Sancez or Orakpo.
Skins will entertain trading down for any USC LB.

shally
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
So, in JLC's mind....

so we have a 4 out of 5 chance of our first pick being a SoCal player ??

silverspring
04-23-2009, 03:17 PM
So, in JLC's mind....

Orakpo screams bust way too much to trade up for.

Lavar703
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Orakpo screams bust way too much to trade up for.

How so?

silverspring
04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
How so?

Well the knocks I am aware of are thus:
-More of a workout warrior who plays football than a true football player
-Has bulked up beyond what his frame naturally holds which tends to equal injuries
-Injuries history already, two knee injuries in two seasons, then a hamstring in the draft
-Might not have a true position in the nfl. Not big enough to be a good LDE, maybe not fast enough to be a RDE, can he play linebacker? Could he cover a TE?
-Inconsistent motor on the field

I worry the most about injuries and i don't think has enough experience to start next year at OLB, he will need to develop cover skills

VegasSkinsFan
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
so we have a 4 out of 5 chance of our first pick being a SoCal player ??

No thanks...i am hoping our first 2 picks go for Oline. GO SKINS !!!!!

NCskinsfanatic
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
So, in JLC's mind....

I like the trade down scenario far better...

Lavar703
04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
No thanks...i am hoping our first 2 picks go for Oline. GO SKINS !!!!!

Meanwhile we neglect LB and DE

VegasSkinsFan
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Meanwhile we neglect LB and DE

Unfortunately yes...we will add the obligatory vet-cut lb. A DE is a waste of a pick with our scheme....well let me restate that.....the DE that we as fans want isnt the de that blache would use....we already have the guy GB wants. Plus we have our late round picks to fill those needs haha.

bigcmr
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I like the trade down scenario far better...

I Agree

Lavar703
04-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately yes...we will add the obligatory vet-cut lb. A DE is a waste of a pick with our scheme....well let me restate that.....the DE that we as fans want isnt the de that blache would use....we already have the guy GB wants. Plus we have our late round picks to fill those needs haha.

The way Im seeing it, all the top OT will be gone by 13 with buffalo now in need of that position. Rey Maualuga should be the pick, if hes not then I have absolutely no idea what they will do, I honestly could see Moreno being the pick as crazy as that sounds. Who knows maybe they trade down and still pick up one of the USC LBs.

Lavar703
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Well the knocks I am aware of are thus:
-More of a workout warrior who plays football than a true football player
-Has bulked up beyond what his frame naturally holds which tends to equal injuries
-Injuries history already, two knee injuries in two seasons, then a hamstring in the draft
-Might not have a true position in the nfl. Not big enough to be a good LDE, maybe not fast enough to be a RDE, can he play linebacker? Could he cover a TE?
-Inconsistent motor on the field

I worry the most about injuries and i don't think has enough experience to start next year at OLB, he will need to develop cover skills

I can see the knee injuries being a problem, but bulking up beyond what his body naturally holds makes absolutely no sense to me, what does a body naturally hold?

Meatsnack
04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I can see the knee injuries being a problem, but bulking up beyond what his body naturally holds makes absolutely no sense to me, what does a body naturally hold?

Like a fat man being told to lose weight to spare his aching knee joints, you can put on too much muscle for your body. This happens a lot with unsupervised lifting. I went to college with a guy obsessed with getting big quads to play rugby. The dude did so many squats and leg presses without working his hammies appropriately that the unbalanced pull on his pelvis wedged his lower vertebrae out of alignment.

Bigger framed guys can put on more weight without overstressing bones and connective tissues. Look at Clay Matthews next to Brian Cushing. Within an inch of height and 5# of weight of each other but Cushing is already stiff and relatively unathletic. Cushing has speed but in a straight line.

Matthews by contrast looks relaxed and agile on the move and his frame looks like it could add another 15 or 20 pounds without getting stiff or too big to move

Looking at Orakpo, he has packed so much meat on his 6'3", relatively small-boned, frame that he has no more room to grow. Plus, you wonder if the hammy is due to more muscle than his connective tissues can stand. Remember, he was under 200# when he came to Austin, TX. You grow muscle that fast, your connective tissues often don't strengthen as fast in relation. Put a quick-twitch max load on them and they stretch or snap.

silverspring
04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Like a fat man being told to lose weight to spare his aching knee joints, you can put on too much muscle for your body. This happens a lot with unsupervised lifting. I went to college with a guy obsessed with getting big quads to play rugby. The dude did so many squats and leg presses without working his hammies appropriately that the unbalanced pull on his pelvis wedged his lower vertebrae out of alignment.

Bigger framed guys can put on more weight without overstressing bones and connective tissues. Look at Clay Matthews next to Brian Cushing. Within an inch of height and 5# of weight of each other but Cushing is already stiff and relatively unathletic. Cushing has speed but in a straight line.

Matthews by contrast looks relaxed and agile on the move and his frame looks like it could add another 15 or 20 pounds without getting stiff or too big to move

Looking at Orakpo, he has packed so much meat on his 6'3", relatively small-boned, frame that he has no more room to grow. Plus, you wonder if the hammy is due to more muscle than his connective tissues can stand. Remember, he was under 200# when he came to Austin, TX. You grow muscle that fast, your connective tissues often don't strengthen as fast in relation. Put a quick-twitch max load on them and they stretch or snap.

Great explanation. All i can think of is imagine putting a corvette engine/body on top of a go cart frame. It might look good and go fast for a bit, but eventually it will rip the go cart frame to pieces

redskin_rich
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Great explanation. All i can think of is imagine putting a corvette engine/body on top of a go cart frame. It might look good and go fast for a bit, but eventually it will rip the go cart frame to pieces

That's a pretty good analogy. I don't know if he has a big bone frame or not. That can be determined pretty easily, though. My general experience is that guys that add a lot more bulk than they were meant to have are injury prone as hell. Musclebound, weight room warriors being the worst.

firehawk157
04-24-2009, 06:22 AM
That's a pretty good analogy. I don't know if he has a big bone frame or not. That can be determined pretty easily, though. My general experience is that guys that add a lot more bulk than they were meant to have are injury prone as hell. Musclebound, weight room warriors being the worst.
Extensive stretching and things like yoga can really take off a lot of pressure. The point is getting your body limber and to loosen up the muscles. Too bad these guys are too macho to do it.