PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Mason Is Back With The Skins

JasonCampbell
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/marcus-mason-is-back-with-the.html

Really?

akhhorus
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Now the offseason is a success /sarcasm.

shally
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

SB baby !!

now if we can only get leigh torrence back, we will be the team of the next decade...

seriously, i thought it odd we signed nobody as a rb even after the draft..

let MM and Rock duke it out...

does this make him ineligible for the Legion of Awesome now ?

SkinsfaninNJ
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I was going to post the article about him being waved this morning just for laughs. We didn't wait long to pick him up. Maybe he will stick this time.

silverspring
04-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Well that ought to make some people happy.

Mason was good against the scrubs but he just seems like a Ladell Betts without the pass catching ability to me. He is a hard runner but not especially quick and not big enough to be the goal line runner we need. This isn't a bad thing but i just don't see this as a big need.

Personally I don't have a love affair with him. I am more interested in falling in love with our new super hero change of pace scat back camp fodder - Anthony Aldridge and Dominique Dorsey.

Edit: By the way as much as many of us decided he was going to carry us straight to a superbowl and were offended by our lack of commitment to him, I hope you recognize that he hasn't blown away other nfl coaches either.

shally
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I was going to post the article about him being waved this morning just for laughs. We didn't wait long to pick him up. Maybe he will stick this time.

our own version of Harrison, from the Steelers... let's hope MM ends up all-pro as well...

shally
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Well that ought to make some people happy.

Mason was good against the scrubs but he just seems like a Ladell Betts without the pass catching ability to me. He is a hard runner but not especially quick and not big enough to be the goal line runner we need. This isn't a bad thing but i just don't see this as a big need.

Personally I don't have a love affair with him. I am more interested in falling in love with our new super hero change of pace scat back camp fodder - Anthony Aldridge and Dominique Dorsey.

Mason doesnt nearly have the speed of the other duo.. but he is a far better all purpose back than Rock.. if he can return KO's without fumbling he could get a spot

silverspring
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Mason doesnt nearly have the speed of the other duo.. but he is a far better all purpose back than Rock.. if he can return KO's without fumbling he could get a spot

Well we already have that in betts. If we are going to add another back I would rather it be one that is a goal line back or a scat back not just another carbon copy of what we got.
And I love rock returning kicks, but if we do replace him I would prefer we do it with a player that has real speed.

Hrabanmaur
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Between Mason, Aldridge, and Dorsey, Rock's grasp on that #3 RB slot is looking pretty shaky.

Keino
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Sarcasm aside, I think this is a good move. It almost makes up for signing that bum made of Keebler Soft Batch Cookies who wasn't in football shape........almost.

He should beat out Cartwright. He is certainly more talented.

dj_stouty
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Good signing. The more competition the better.

Monk4HOF
04-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Meh....we need a new Rudy story for this preseason. MM had his chance on two teams.

Keino
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Edit: By the way as much as many of us decided he was going to carry us straight to a superbowl and were offended by our lack of commitment to him, I hope you recognize that he hasn't blown away other nfl coaches either.

If you want to take the discussion at the time out of context fine but it should be noted that not one team expressed passing interest in Alexander when we let him go, so lets view the previous discussion through the lense in which it was discussed.

When we signed Alexander, Mason was sitting on Baltimore's practice squad. That means he had been practicing football the whole year up to that point and we sign Keebler while having an immediate need (Both Portis and Betts were dinged) knowing we'd have to wait a few weeks before he got into football shape. So if you want to talk about the acrimony with not re-signing Mason, there is the correct context. Discuss away.

I would add that Mason is not at all like Betts and fits the scat back mold. Betts is a tweaner. Mason is not.

colkurtz
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I liked Mason and Cartwright just needs to go. Rock had a couple good returns last season that could have gone all the way if he had some speed left.

This is the Cerrato hiring and firing system. Keep a guy a year then fire him; bring him back, the repeat the cycle.

Surely in the entire college ranks there must be someone who has the speed, ability and talent to beat out Rock Cartwright or Thrash. Except we have no scouts to find anyone. Ok, let's just go back to dig up someone from the past. Next they'll be bringing back Marcus Washington, etc.

smave
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:(

GreenspanDan
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
mason looked pretty good. what's the problem?

silverspring
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
If you want to take the discussion at the time out of context fine but it should be noted that not one team expressed passing interest in Alexander when we let him go, so lets view the previous discussion through the lense in which it was discussed.

When we signed Alexander, Mason was sitting on Baltimore's practice squad. That means he had been practicing football the whole year up to that point and we sign Keebler while having an immediate need (Both Portis and Betts were dinged) knowing we'd have to wait a few weeks before he got into football shape. So if you want to talk about the acrimony with not re-signing Mason, there is the correct context. Discuss away.

I would add that Mason is not at all like Betts and fits the scat back mold. Betts is a tweaner. Mason is not.

Keino I didn't like the Alexander signing one bit. I can however understand it from the point of view that zorn/stump had familiarity with him and it was a comfortable situation. I am all for giving mason some more time to earn a spot, but i don't think he earned any more than say colt brennan did in pre-season last season. I believe that the only play he got in on before the scrubs was when he fumbled a kickoff return.

I am not sure I follow your last comment. Betts is 5-11 and 225 and Mason is 5-9 215. Neither are burners and both tend to make one cut and run straight after that. I guess because Betts is a decent pass catcher maybe he is seen more as a scat back?

JasonCampbell
04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
mason looked pretty good. what's the problem?

He's been let go now by the Skins, Ravens, and Jets. He isn't that good.

I'm more excited about Aldridge and the Canadian guy.

shally
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
He's been let go now by the Skins, Ravens, and Jets. He isn't that good.

I'm more excited about Aldridge and the Canadian guy.

agree.. but mason has shown he is able to run tough and break tackles.
absolutely no reason to not give him another shot in camp..

edit: by the way, the chargers also put in a claim for mason and they have some pretty good backs there as well. if nothing else, it saves wear on your top backs to have mason carrying the ball in camp and preseason

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
my question about MM is this,why?what has he done in the last year to make the team he did'nt do last year?he can't have picked up much can he?

CNYSkinFan
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
the legion of awesome awaits thee Marcus Mason

CNYSkinFan
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
In all seriousmness Marcus Mason got cut because he funbled a KO return...and the Redskins did not have a suitable return man to replace Rock. I am still not sure they do. But if they do Mason will make the squad over Rock, and I am a Rock Apologist

shally
04-28-2009, 05:58 PM
In all seriousmness Marcus Mason got cut because he funbled a KO return...and the Redskins did not have a suitable return man to replace Rock. I am still not sure they do. But if they do Mason will make the squad over Rock, and I am a Rock Apologist

money is a bigger issue this year than last.. i think in this case a "tie" will go to the cheaper player..plus, Rock simply isnt a RB, he is a ST's player and nothing more. Mason ? at least he looks the part of a runner in preseason

plus, i would not be at all surprised if Rock is cut for his talk that led to a tampering charge..

Keino
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
the legion of awesome awaits thee Marcus Mason

He's already there.

CNYSkinFan
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
He's already there.
the legend grows

Keino
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Keino I didn't like the Alexander signing one bit. I can however understand it from the point of view that zorn/stump had familiarity with him and it was a comfortable situation. I am all for giving mason some more time to earn a spot, but i don't think he earned any more than say colt brennan did in pre-season last season. I believe that the only play he got in on before the scrubs was when he fumbled a kickoff return.

I am not sure I follow your last comment. Betts is 5-11 and 225 and Mason is 5-9 215. Neither are burners and both tend to make one cut and run straight after that. I guess because Betts is a decent pass catcher maybe he is seen more as a scat back?

Mason is faster than any back we had on the roster last year. I frankly don't get a bunch of people's perception that he is not fast. Mason has homerun speed that Betts does not have.

As to the first part of this, I am not buying it. There was enough familiarity with Mason to not have to bring in a more expensive (but still cheap) washed up vet.

BurgundyNGold
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
He's already there.
Indeed he is.

the legend grows
He's like a real life Remo Williams, lol.

Or at least Fred Ward.

But not Fred Dryer.

BurgundyNGold
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I'd like to see Mason make the roster and be a good back but he has to earn
it. He needs to outplay Rock this year beyond a shadow of a doubt on offense *and* on teams.

shally
04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Indeed he is.

He's like a real life Remo Williams, lol.

Or at least Fred Ward.

But not Fred Dryer.

if he actually makes the team, does he have to be removed from TLOA ??

i dont think the bar is that high.. he will be cheaper and the cloud of suspicion hangs heavy over Rock because of the tampering charge.. tie goes to Mason, i bet..

Keino
04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see Mason make the roster and be a good back but he has to earn
it. He needs to outplay Rock this year beyond a shadow of a doubt on offense *and* on teams.

Outside of a fumble on his first KR opprtunity, I think he clearly did last year.

shally
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Outside of a fumble on his first KR opprtunity, I think he clearly did last year.

totally agree.. he has outplayed Rock for 2 straight preseasons.. third, is the charm i bet..

BurgundyNGold
04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
He didn't do enough on teams -- either as a returner or in coverage. He'll outplay Rock on offense for sure. He needs to close the door on teams.

Keino
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
totally agree.. he has outplayed Rock for 2 straight preseasons.. third, is the charm i bet..

He didn't do enough on teams -- either as a returner or in coverage. He'll outplay Rock on offense for sure. He needs to close the door on teams.

Agreed.

I think (I hope) the coaches are going to use performance at the primary position rather than teams to be the determining factor. Tryon and Thomas were both drafted in part because of their abilities on KR.

Coverage, Rock is the man, but he can be replaced by anyone with the heart and desire to play Teams.

shally
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Agreed.

I think (I hope) the coaches are going to use performance at the primary position rather than teams to be the determining factor. Tryon and Thomas were both drafted in part because of their abilities on KR.

Coverage, Rock is the man, but he can be replaced by anyone with the heart and desire to play Teams.

i just want to see a returner who has the speed to take it back for a TD once he clears the wedge.. at least several times last season Rock came through clean and still got caught

VegasSkinsFan
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM

So what if he outplays rock and aldridge/dorsey out plays betts...or vice versa...do both rock and betts go?? Nice to at least see some competition.

Keino
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
i just want to see a returner who has the speed to take it back for a TD once he clears the wedge.. at least several times last season Rock came through clean and still got caught

If Thomas isn't starting at Wideout, I expect to see him back there a bit. I really see no reason why Rock should make the team in 2009.

shally
04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
If Thomas isn't starting at Wideout, I expect to see him back there a bit. I really see no reason why Rock should make the team in 2009.

i wouldnt bet for a second against Rock being a goner, if only for his part in the tampering allegations.. but that said, there should be any number of players who can perform his function without missing a beat

shally
04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
So what if he outplays rock and aldridge/dorsey out plays betts...or vice versa...do both rock and betts go?? Nice to at least see some competition.

betts actually has above average hands for the reception.. and sometimes he runs tough.. someone will have to show they can catch the ball consistently, and make the chains move on a consistent basis before both Rock and Betts go..
i think Rock goes this year, and potentially either Portis or Betts goes next year, depending upon the overall production..

i dont think that even Portis is a mortal lock next year, if we have an uncapped year.. if he has a poor year and we hire shanahan, it is not outside the realm of possibility that portis goes, and the running back position is filled by betts and committee..with an uncapped year plus shanahan, all bets (no pun intended) would be possible...

Keino
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
i wouldnt bet for a second against Rock being a goner, if only for his part in the tampering allegations.. but that said, there should be any number of players who can perform his function without missing a beat

His position is generally a 2-3 year gig in the NFL, while you are developing at your primary position. At which point you play your primary position and contribute or are gone.

He does what he does well, but as you have noted, he lacks explosion and his role is better filled with young, hungry players.

Hrabanmaur
04-28-2009, 08:53 PM
In terms of teams, I think Rock may also be impaired this year by the rule forbidding the four-man wedge. More than anything else, this is what helped him to establish good field position on his returns, since he lacked both elusiveness and top-end speed. Rock used to be a real Redskin but he seems to have overvalued himself and publicly dissed the organization over the last couple of seasons. That's stuff you can get away with if you're the #1 RB, but a #3 RB...well, that's a different story.

colkurtz
04-28-2009, 09:43 PM

+1. Exactly. He got caught after he cleared the wedge. WE've got to find someone who has the speed to get those TD's. Rock has to go. If it's Mason, great.

We need a youth movement for equivalent players.

joethefan
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I sure hope this kid makes the team this time....

I think we can get more production out of him than Betts...IMO

shally
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I sure hope this kid makes the team this time....

I think we can get more production out of him than Betts...IMO

i expect they will work his tail off in preseason to see what he can do

joethefan
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
i expect they will work his tail off in preseason to see what he can do

I sure hope so...we need some new blood in that backfield IMO....

LuvSkins17
04-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I think Rock and Betts need to go. We should have the talent in the players we have to fill the KR role. Thomas did ok last year and so did MM until the fumble. I don't know why we havent changed things back there anyway. I love Rock, but he can't run the ball on offense. Betts makes me nervous when he is in the backfield. I liked Mason and was disappointed that he was gone last year. Betts or Rock could have been cut and I think we could have survived their loss.

Brokenstriker
04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

I agree.

I think Rock is looking at a tough go this pre-season. Betts has a decent resume as a kick-off returner ... Mason is a better running back ... Alridge is the only guy on the roster who "might" qualify as a scat-back change of pace (qualified because Sellers is the bull-dozer change of pace) ... Dorsey (the Canadian Guy) has returner on his resume (I think).

Brokenstriker
04-29-2009, 08:21 AM
In terms of teams, I think Rock may also be impaired this year by the rule forbidding the four-man wedge. More than anything else, this is what helped him to establish good field position on his returns, since he lacked both elusiveness and top-end speed. Rock used to be a real Redskin but he seems to have overvalued himself and publicly dissed the organization over the last couple of seasons. That's stuff you can get away with if you're the #1 RB, but a #3 RB...well, that's a different story.

... we publicly dismiss the organization on a daily basis ...

not saying he should be forgiven for doing it ... just that its so damn easy to do

ChiefPowhatan17
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
This is better news than anything that happened on the second day of the draft.

Moe
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
With the new 'no wedge' rules in place, having a return man with more speed and quickness will be more important. This might signal the end of Rock as the return man and opens the door for a guy like Mason to land a spot.

shally
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
With the new 'no wedge' rules in place, having a return man with more speed and quickness will be more important. This might signal the end of Rock as the return man and opens the door for a guy like Mason to land a spot.

good point.. on the other hand, it might put a premium on the ability of return men to take a hit and that might play to Rock's favor

MoonshineDelight
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I really like the signing. Every time I watched Marcus carry the ball in preseason, he looked like he got the most of it. The fumble during his big kick return in last preseason game last year sealed his fate. IMO, if Marcus can pass block (not sure), I believe he would be a great backup to portis.

shally
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I really like the signing. Every time I watched Marcus carry the ball in preseason, he looked like he got the most of it. The fumble during his big kick return in last preseason game last year sealed his fate. IMO, if Marcus can pass block (not sure), I believe he would be a great backup to portis.

if he can pass block, it is a skill that he learned since he was last here.. that was not his strong point, as i recall

Meatsnack
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
I am a Rock booster. I would rather have a guy good for 22-24 yards per return who is dead reliable, as I think Rock is, than a guy who will fumble one away for every one he breaks.

Unless Mason/Thomas/whothehellever can show that their hands and heart for running straight ahead are not in question, I would keep Rock. Not only is he a proven yardage maker who doesn't fumble but he is a team leader in terms of work ethic and in the locker room.

shally
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I am a Rock booster. I would rather have a guy good for 22-24 yards per return who is dead reliable, as I think Rock is, than a guy who will fumble one away for every one he breaks.

Unless Mason/Thomas/whothehellever can show that their hands and heart for running straight ahead are not in question, I would keep Rock. Not only is he a proven yardage maker who doesn't fumble but he is a team leader in terms of work ethic and in the locker room.

mason carried the ball a lot in each preseason without fumbling.. his only, unfortunate, fumble was on a KO, and that led to his being cut

i would point out that over the years, when Rock has been used as a runner, he, too, has had some unfortunate fumbles..

so you take your chances.. at least mason brings a better potential for use on offense.. rock provides just about nothing in that regard

Meatsnack
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
mason carried the ball a lot in each preseason without fumbling.. his only, unfortunate, fumble was on a KO, and that led to his being cut

i would point out that over the years, when Rock has been used as a runner, he, too, has had some unfortunate fumbles..

so you take your chances.. at least mason brings a better potential for use on offense.. rock provides just about nothing in that regard

I agree with your point. I am solely thinking of Rock as a Teamer rather than as an emergncy third back.

Keino
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree with your point. I am solely thinking of Rock as a Teamer rather than as an emergncy third back.

Two problems I see with carrying Rock as a Special Teamer only.

1. Our main RB has gotten dinged the last 2 seasons and our back-up has never demonstrated the ability to stay healthy. Not planning for such contingencies as both of our main runners being unavailable got this team in a bit of trouble last season. It's time we learn from that mistake.

2. As I have argued above, pure special teamers, with notable exceptions of course, tend to be 2-3 year jobs in the NFL and then the player transitions to contributng at their primary position. I think we can all agree that Rock is a liability at his primary position.

So, I will always like Rock, appreciate his effort, he long overdue to be upgraded. I frankly don't care who it is that represents the upgrade, but I will be irate if both Thrash and Rock make this team in 2009.

shally
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM

we are a copy cat team in that we have followed the Giants lead of upgrading the D line.

perhaps, because the Giants have had so much success with a trio of running backs, we might actually consider having 3 who each bring something different to the team..?
for sure, we need a scat back, or someone who can convert screens and flare passes into first downs with consistency

BurgundyNGold
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
we are a copy cat team in that we have followed the Giants lead of upgrading the D line.
Yeah, like 3 or 4 years late, lol. And even then, somehow Daniels and (ugh) Wynn are still on the team -- one of them *starting*.

shally
04-29-2009, 01:51 PM

1. Our main RB has gotten dinged the last 2 seasons and our back-up has never demonstrated the ability to stay healthy. Not planning for such contingencies as both of our main runners being unavailable got this team in a bit of trouble last season. It's time we learn from that mistake.

2. As I have argued above, pure special teamers, with notable exceptions of course, tend to be 2-3 year jobs in the NFL and then the player transitions to contributng at their primary position. I think we can all agree that Rock is a liability at his primary position.

So, I will always like Rock, appreciate his effort, he long overdue to be upgraded. I frankly don't care who it is that represents the upgrade, but I will be irate if both Thrash and Rock make this team in 2009.

i think with guys like alridge, dorsey and now, mason already on the roster,
i will find it hard to believe that we wont have a viable option to replace Rock who is:

younger
cheaper
more explosive
a better pass receiver
a better runner

the only potential fall off would be in terms of ST coverage, at which Rock does excell.. but, hopefully one of our second day draft picks or UDFA's will provide this .

shally
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, like 3 or 4 years late, lol. And even then, somehow Daniels and (ugh) Wynn are still on the team -- one of them *starting*.

i guess we copied the Giants to the point of adding Wynn..lol

too bad they didnt copy the Giants emphasis on the O line as well....

jaylen
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I maybe the only one sick and tired of everyone of our skill position players. Portis can't run 20 yards without looking for somewhere to fall down or run outta bounds, Betts is terrible, Rock is a fumble waiting to happen, ARE can't get open or catch in traffic, Moss can't catch in traffic. Cooley is the only one I'm comfortable with and he can;t block.

Hopefully Mason can be an upgrade on everyone not named Portis in our backfield.

CNYSkinFan
04-29-2009, 02:33 PM
look lets be realistic, Mason is not surplanting Betts...maybe Rock, but not Betts. And most liekly barring major injury will not see action in the regular season.

BurgundyNGold
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
I maybe the only one sick and tired of everyone of our skill position players. Portis can't run 20 yards without looking for somewhere to fall down or run outta bounds, Betts is terrible, Rock is a fumble waiting to happen, ARE can't get open or catch in traffic, Moss can't catch in traffic. Cooley is the only one I'm comfortable with and he can;t block.

Hopefully Mason can be an upgrade on everyone not named Portis in our backfield.
Mason will be an upgrade that makes everyone around him better. In fact, you can tell where he's been on the field because the grass is slightly greener. That's why he's in the Legion of Awesome, lol.

CNYSkinFan
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Mason will be an upgrade that makes everyone around him better. In fact, you can tell where he's been on the field because the grass is slightly greener. That's why he's in the Legion of Awesome, lol.
Did you notice that Marcus mason was signed to the skkins and now the economy is turning around? Coincidence....i think not!!!

SkinsfaninNJ
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Did you notice that Marcus mason was signed to the skkins and now the economy is turning around? Coincidence....i think not!!!

My eyesight has improved just from reading this thread. Thank you Marcus.

CNYSkinFan
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
My eyesight has improved just from reading this thread. Thank you Marcus.
He has a mole on his butt shaped like Mother MAry...i swear

Keino
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Interesting, because I feel dumber having read some of these comments.

Skins7ny
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I love Mason and hope he sticks. But what this team really needs is a short yardage runner. We are very iffy on third and fourth and short, and neither Portis nor Betts is a reliable short yardage runner. Every time we hand Sellers the ball, I get nervous-his lack of experience (and/or skill) running the ball really shows, and he has a tendency to fumble or leap prematurely (sometimes, on the same play).

Having a guy who can convert short yardage and keep the chains moving would be a huge benefit to us.

agree.. but mason has shown he is able to run tough and break tackles.
absolutely no reason to not give him another shot in camp..

edit: by the way, the chargers also put in a claim for mason and they have some pretty good backs there as well. if nothing else, it saves wear on your top backs to have mason carrying the ball in camp and preseason
If there is one thing AJ Smith and the Chargers know, it is running backs.
(Tomlinson, Turner, Sproles, etc.). For all those who tend to dis Mason, the fact that a proven RB finder like Smith put in a claim for him should tell you something.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team this time. He has to have an outstanding camp.

My projection for the roster shows that there will be room for both Mason and Cartwright if we want to keep them both. I don't think it is an either/or proposition.

dj_stouty
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I maybe the only one sick and tired of everyone of our skill position players. Portis can't run 20 yards without looking for somewhere to fall down or run outta bounds...

Even if Portis isn't the same guy he was when he started his career in Denver, he was still 4th in yardage, 3rd in producing rushing 1st downs and 3rd in carries over 20 yards last season. The guy has turned into a grinder and I am certainly not looking forward to the day he is off this team.

shally
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Even if Portis isn't the same guy he was when he started his career in Denver, he was still 4th in yardage, 3rd in producing rushing 1st downs and 3rd in carries over 20 yards last season. The guy has turned into a grinder and I am certainly not looking forward to the day he is off this team.

reminds me more of terry allen every year-- with more maintenance required..lol

Meatsnack
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM

I agree with everything you say but if I thought it was a problem and I was sitting in the GM chair, I'd have dropped back in round one and picked up Oher and a back like LeSean McCoy or Shonn Green who you might have some faith could be that guy. Nothing about Mason or any of the other new guys says to me that he is the back-up/heir apparent to Clinton.

I don't hate Mason but the guy hasn't done a thing in the league and wasn't a Div I powerhouse back you could project to have immediate success. If I have to give up Rock, who has real proven ability, I need something concrete. I know I value Rock's steady production on KR and his excellence as a coverage guy more than many but even so, his value is real. I don't like pigs in pokes. Hogs in dresses, now...

I guess where I come down is close by you, show me something. If somebody plays better, they shoud get a roster spot because we aren't such a powerhouse team that we can keep guys around on sentimantal value. So, if one of the young'uns wants to set the world on fire for my burgundy and gold, I love 'em. But right now they are just candidates for the Legion of Awesome.

BurgundyNGold
04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Interesting, because I feel dumber having read some of these comments.
Mission accomplished. ;)

RedskinRyan
04-29-2009, 09:15 PM
So what number is he? I need my Mason jersey ASAFP.

shally
04-29-2009, 09:40 PM
So what number is he? I need my Mason jersey ASAFP.

contact your nearest Asian Sweatshop Dealer.. i am sure they already have it on file
and ready to go...

skinsfan36
04-29-2009, 10:01 PM
i thin if anyone makes this squad out of aldridge/mason/dorsey. it is aldridge i really want to see what he can do. shannahan can find his rbs and he came from denver

shally
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
i thin if anyone makes this squad out of aldridge/mason/dorsey. it is aldridge i really want to see what he can do. shannahan can find his rbs and he came from denver

he was very close to making the roster last year before he tore up his foot.. shanny apparently liked him a lot..