PDA

View Full Version : Cooley's View

Axegrinder
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
He calls everything being said this week b.s.

http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/

Biggie
09-23-2009, 03:12 PM
You might want to fix the link - it has an extra http.

skins74
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I still think the playcalling sucks. Love Cooley though!

Biggie
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I still think the playcalling sucks. Love Cooley though!
I agree. He's a great player but the idea that there's "nothing to turn around" is crap.

akhhorus
09-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Right Chris, we're the problem with our negativity, not you and your team's crappy performances. :rolleyes:

chris
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I like cooley.he is probley my fav skin right now but he has this dead wrong.The fans are the ones who pay to watch these guys play football and will always have the right to boo and or say what ever they want about a team ,the players , and the ownership.

redskin_rich
09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't expect the players to say anything else.

Axegrinder
09-23-2009, 03:34 PM
How about this take:

Does it irritate players when a fan refers to his favorite team as "we"

"We" are the fan's team. That's why we are here playing football. I think it's great to have loyal fans that feel like we are their team. The only time guys get tired of the "we" thing is when fans tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing on the field. There is a reason that fans are fans. My job is to play tight end and yours is to cheer loud. To be the best "we" all gotta play our roles.

Thanks for the link fix DJ.

redskin_rich
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
How about this take:

Does it irritate players when a fan refers to his favorite team as "we"

"We" are the fan's team. That's why we are here playing football. I think it's great to have loyal fans that feel like we are their team. The only time guys get tired of the "we" thing is when fans tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing on the field. There is a reason that fans are fans. My job is to play tight end and yours is to cheer loud. To be the best "we" all gotta play our roles.

Thanks for the link fix DJ.
He's right, we're not the coaches. That doesn't mean we can't criticize. Especially when it comes to the front office, who obviously is a hell of a lot dumber than the fan base.

Axegrinder
09-23-2009, 04:26 PM
He's right, we're not the coaches. That doesn't mean we can't criticize. Especially when it comes to the front office, who obviously is a hell of a lot dumber than the fan base.

Know your role Rich.

BurgundyNGold
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Know your role Rich.
:lol1:

wide_awake
09-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Right Chris, we're the problem with our negativity, not you and your team's crappy performances. :rolleyes:

Chris has nothing to do with the crappy performance. Criticizing him is going too far.

Cooley is the only offensive player with established, long-term value on our team.

akhhorus
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Chris has nothing to do with the crappy performance. Criticizing him is going too far.

Cooley is the only offensive player with established, long-term value on our team.

Cooley has done his job(I wasn't singling him out), but he's not taking issue with criticism of himself, but of the team...and the team deserves criticism. Trying to make the fans(and pundits) being critical the issue is crap. Especially when Portis(among other players) agree with the criticism(or understand why the fans are upset and the pundits are predicting Zorn's demise).

wide_awake
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Cooley has done his job(I wasn't singling him out), but he's not taking issue with criticism of himself, but of the team...and the team deserves criticism. Trying to make the fans(and pundits) being critical the issue is crap. Especially when Portis(among other players) agree with the criticism(or understand why the fans are upset and the pundits are predicting Zorn's demise).

I would be more worried of Cooley if he said (paraphrased of course) "you know I'm doing my job but a lot of players aren't performing."

The fact that Chris is pissed shows me two things:

1. He is including himself with the team (even though he knows the criticism isn't directed anywhere near him)

2. He is fired up/upset about the idea of our fans being so disappointed they are booing

I wish more players were upset. Players who have that mentality that a boo to anyone of them is a boo to all of them is exactly what kind of players I want to cheer for. I with they were out to prove us wrong, yet so many of them just seem kinda "meh" about it.

akhhorus
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I would be more worried of Cooley if he said (paraphrased of course) "you know I'm doing my job but a lot of players aren't performing."

The fact that Chris is pissed shows me two things:

1. He is including himself with the team (even though he knows the criticism isn't directed anywhere near him)

2. He is fired up/upset about the idea of our fans being so disappointed they are booing

I wish more players were upset. Players who have that mentality that a boo to anyone of them is a boo to all of them is exactly what kind of players I want to cheer for. I with they were out to prove us wrong, yet so many of them just seem kinda "meh" about it.

They should be upset with themselves and using that as the impetus to improve what they're doing, not getting pissy with the fans. Cooley says that there's nothing wrong(paraphrase), thats not a good thing to see. Thats complacency and lack of accountability in the locker room. Portis has the right idea when he says that everyone should be on the hot seat.

Keino
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Chris we understand our role. You keep failing to do your job but expect us to do ours. It doesn't work that way my friend.....

wide_awake
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Chris we understand our role. You keep failing to do your job but expect us to do ours. It doesn't work that way my friend.....

Really? Chris is failing to do his job?

Gravy
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Criticism comes with the territory...people need to "man up". Either you can do the job or you can't.

akhhorus
09-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Really? Chris is failing to do his job?

Stop trying to make this the fan criticizing Cooley. No one has singled him out. Cooley is complaining about the fans criticizing the team.

wide_awake
09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Stop trying to make this the fan criticizing Cooley. No one has singled him out. Cooley is complaining about the fans criticizing the team.

Keino singled him out when he said

Chris we understand our role. You keep failing to do your job

I'm not against criticizing the team because they sure as hell deserve it. But they deserve it individually. Smoot deserves it. Hall deserves it. Moss Deserves it. Zorn deserves it. Cooley is one of the few players that DOES NOT deserve it.

The only criticism of Cooley that is warranted is that he is standing up for the poor performance of these fellow players.

akhhorus
09-23-2009, 06:21 PM

I'm not against criticizing the team because they sure as hell deserve it. But they deserve it individually. Smoot deserves it. Hall deserves it. Moss Deserves it. Zorn deserves it. Cooley is one of the few players that DOES NOT deserve it.

The only criticism of Cooley that is warranted is that he is standing up for the poor performance of these fellow players.

Obivously Keino(like me) was using the plural "you" referring to the entire team. Which makes logical sense since Cooley was bemoaning that the team was being criticizing and not criticism directed at him.

smoak
09-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't expect the players to say anything else.

Agree!! I love Cooley, and while I don't agree 100%, I love the obvious passion and fire he has.

I'm not a fan of booing, but Cooley needs to understand that Snyder has been sticking it to fans for too long.

Keino
09-23-2009, 07:20 PM

How does one boo and direct said Boo at only one player? Clearly I am using the YOU in the plural in reference to Cooley's complaints about booing.

MDBluefinCrab
09-23-2009, 07:45 PM
This team has no fire. Complacency seems to be the norm at Redskins Park.

Ibleedburgundy
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Any proud employee is going to defend his organization. I don't blame the guy.

He more than pulls his own weight. If we had 11 guys on offense playing on his level...

Patrick
09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I like the fact he's standing by his teammates and coaches to the general public but I sure hope he's different behind closed locker door. This team could step it up some in the 'tude department.

LATrueRedskin
09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
They should be upset with themselves and using that as the impetus to improve what they're doing, not getting pissy with the fans. Cooley says that there's nothing wrong(paraphrase), thats not a good thing to see. Thats complacency and lack of accountability in the locker room. Portis has the right idea when he says that everyone should be on the hot seat.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Portis step up his game and run hard this weekend. He's that type of guy.

smoak
09-23-2009, 09:41 PM
How does one boo and direct said Boo at only one player? Clearly I am using the YOU in the plural in reference to Cooley's complaints about booing.

Ugh, you (singular) should ha e been in Carolina for week one... They were definitely booing one guy :D

Death_Venom
09-24-2009, 12:36 AM

I forgot who said it recently but it was mentioned that the current NFL "fan base" is alot more informed and intelligent than the ones in former years. I agree with that statement in many ways. I do agree however, that being a HC or a coach at any level (collegate or Pro) is a difficult job.

I think many issues come from the fact that the Redskins have failed repeatedly to address areas of major concern and have tried to short-cut these areas in a variety of ways and never seem to pan out in the long term. As fans we have the right to level criticism at our team because it our money that pays for these players to have a job pays tremendously well. Either way I like Cooley and I believe he is a "true Redskin" yet he should take the criticisms leveled at the team, coaching staff, or owner to personally.

SpicyMcHaggis
09-24-2009, 12:48 AM
First of all we lost to an outstanding Giants team in New York. Bummer, yes, but not the end of the world.

I stopped reading and vomited after this sentence.

That is just sad and pathetic.

joethefan
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
I stopped reading and vomited after this sentence.

That is just sad and pathetic.

Spicy, makes it seem like the skins can't be outstanding and that they can never win in New York....do your job, and in doing it well, you will learn that 90 percent of it doesn't require you to speak....

SpicyMcHaggis
09-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Spicy, makes it seem like the skins can't be outstanding and that they can never win in New York....do your job, and in doing it well, you will learn that 90 percent of it doesn't require you to speak....
Exactly. If a loss in New York is so acceptable, why show up at all?

CarMike
09-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Exactly. If a loss in New York is so acceptable, why show up at all?

Gotta earn that paycheck. :rolleyes:

Hr fan
09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I forgot who said it recently but it was mentioned that the current NFL "fan base" is alot more informed and intelligent than the ones in former years. I agree with that statement in many ways. I do agree however, that being a HC or a coach at any level (collegate or Pro) is a difficult job.

I think many issues come from the fact that the Redskins have failed repeatedly to address areas of major concern and have tried to short-cut these areas in a variety of ways and never seem to pan out in the long term. As fans we have the right to level criticism at our team because it our money that pays for these players to have a job pays tremendously well. Either way I like Cooley and I believe he is a "true Redskin" yet he should take the criticisms leveled at the team, coaching staff, or owner to personally.

This is the problem. What we fail to realize sometimes is the impact of a disfunctional owner/fo/coaching staff on the players. They are clearly seeking a team identity since all those above them are incapable of providing one. But it is like a Navy vessel - if the Captain is bad the ship will at best underperform. When his division officers (coaches) are bad also the crew performs their jobs in a vacuum, and the ship is a bad ship. Doesn't make the crew members bad as individuals, just makes the overall performance bad.

Chris, we are not criticising you as an individual. We are yelling at the top of our lungs at every level above you. When these levels are as bad as they are individuals will basically react in one of two ways: by taking pride in doing their job (Cooley), or in doging it because there is a realization that doing their job will not affect the final result (Moss).

It's ok for fans to be frustrated, and it is ok for you to be frustrated. Realize we are both frustrated at the same thing rather than taking your frustration out on the only target that can't fight back. We are not the problem, and you should not think that our boos are directed at players that act professionally and with passion for the game, as you do.

Ibleedburgundy
09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
I think you guys are interpreting the losing in NY comment in a way that Cooley didn't intend. He wasn't saying he expects to lose in NY, or that they would somehow reduce their effort because of expectations. He was saying (in the context of all the doom and gloom talk that has been go0ing on for two weeks) that the loss in NY is not the end of the world. And it isn't.

Axegrinder
09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I think you guys are interpreting the losing in NY comment in a way that Cooley didn't intend. He wasn't saying he expects to lose in NY, or that they would somehow reduce their effort because of expectations. He was saying (in the context of all the doom and gloom talk that has been go0ing on for two weeks) that the loss in NY is not the end of the world. And it isn't.
The problem here is that the doom and gloom has been resignating longer than two weeks. It's finally dawning on the players, and hopefully everyone else in the organization, that we are not satisfied with this franchise as a whole. This isn't anything new, I guess they just haven't been listening.