PDA

View Full Version : First half/Second half disaparity

bwparker
10-05-2009, 07:53 AM
If this is an already opened thread, I apologize. But do we have a good explanation for the Redskins absolute crappiness in the first half of games? So far this year the Redskins have been outscored by their opponents in the first half of games 13-47, but have outscored their opponents in the second half 43-15.

Do they need better preparation/game-planning? Do they need to make their adjustments quicker? or find a better warm-up routine or something? Or do they just come out lazy? Or is it just a factor of other teams getting ahead and then THEY get lazy, so we get a chance to catch up?

CarMike
10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Our massive OL/DL wears down the opposition in the 2nd half of games.

Honestly, I don't have any idea. I know it can't be that our coaches make halftime adjustments. They're not good enough to do that.

Great question though. Should be good for discussion though.

SpicyMcHaggis
10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
If this is an already opened thread, I apologize. But do we have a good explanation for the Redskins absolute crappiness in the first half of games? So far this year the Redskins have been outscored by their opponents in the first half of games 13-47, but have outscored their opponents in the second half 43-15.

Do they need better preparation/game-planning? Do they need to make their adjustments quicker? or find a better warm-up routine or something? Or do they just come out lazy? Or is it just a factor of other teams getting ahead and then THEY get lazy, so we get a chance to catch up?

Here's at least a partial explanation: we suck so bad in the first half that in the second half we often (half the time up to this point) find ourselves down by multiple scores, and so we score TDs against prevent defenses or when playing a hurry-up offense to save time.
This has happened against both the Lions and the Giants, and has produced late TDs. If that 43-15 becomes 29-15, it looks a bit different doesn't it?
As for a more general explanation, aside from the Giants game, in which we outscored them only 10-6 in the second half, I think it's just a case of two crappy teams facing each other (Skins-Lions, Skins-Rams, Skins-Bucs), and because neither team can string together 4 quarters of good play, one of the two manages to randomly score more or less in a given half/quarter.

Redskin-4-life
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I would guess it's coaching. They are not scouting teams properly and can not figure how to attack them until the 2nd half. They are making half time adjustments, but it is usually too late.

shally
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
it is completely a matter of playing with a sense of urgency, and intensity.. they were totally flat in the first half.. the entire team looked like they were sleepwalking

i think they saw the season slipping away at halftime and the vets quietly led the team back from the brink.

how long will it carry over ? who knows ?

Redskinmayhem
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Guys, we played the Bucs. One of the worst teams in the NFL. If we did this vs the Giants or Pittsburgh or the Colts, I'd say we did something better in the second half. Against the Bucs? I'm sure a lot of it was them not executing properly.

Patrick
10-05-2009, 11:28 AM
it is completely a matter of playing with a sense of urgency, and intensity.. they were totally flat in the first half.. the entire team looked like they were sleepwalking

i think they saw the season slipping away at halftime and the vets quietly led the team back from the brink.

how long will it carry over ? who knows ?
I would like to think that the team was taking a nose dive but was able to muster up and start playing with some "sense of urgency" (not much though). Now it's a matter of - is this team going to climb or did it just level off just above crashing. Game #5 should start to provide some answers I would think.

akhhorus
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
This happens every game and the cause is almost certainly that Zorn/Blache can't prepare a team to save their lives.

Poindexter
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
This happens every game and the cause is almost certainly that Zorn/Blache can't prepare a team to save their lives.

I think it is very safe to say we have the worst coaching staff in the league. The Oakland Raiders would be close but I think they beat us out in a fist fight.

BurgundyNGold
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't think they prepare for a team at all.

I don't think they say: "Hmmm. This team has a small front 4. Let's give them a heavy dose of Portis between the tackles. But not Betts, because all he does is fall down after first contact like Jody Foster"

Or: "Hmmm. Are they starting a rookie QB? Well, let's blitz the hell out of him. Because that's what mavericks do."

Or: "Hmmm. They're starting FS is injured and they're playing backups at both CB slots? I say we attack those kids until they show us they can stop us."

Nope. Never. Not once. And that's why these coaches suck.

shally
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM

it is more than that.. when veteran players miss tackles, miss assignments, get beaten one on one, it is a sign that the players themselves havent bought into the schemes, or are playing without pride and just collecting a paycheck..

this is deeper than just crappy coaching.. i would also tend to agree with jimmy johnson's assessment, that the talent level from 25-52 is lacking badly..who among our reserves look like they are ready to start or play significant minutes ?

akhhorus
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
it is more than that.. when veteran players miss tackles, miss assignments, get beaten one on one, it is a sign that the players themselves havent bought into the schemes, or are playing without pride and just collecting a paycheck..

this is deeper than just crappy coaching.. i would also tend to agree with jimmy johnson's assessment, that the talent level from 25-52 is lacking badly..who among our reserves look like they are ready to start or play significant minutes ?

I agree, but a competant coaching staff can at least get a team prepared to take advantage of good matchups to exploit.

Farmer Ted
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Basically, we spent the first 3 and a half games of the season running the ball on 3d and short, 4th and short and 1st and 10 every single time just so we could set TB up for our first two play-action passes of the season in the 3d quarter of the game. And it worked. Hip-Hip-Hooray!

NamVet4
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I pretty much agree with ALL of the above concerning the disparity.

And in this order:

#1 - No proper pre-game planning. Coaches suck at this; which leads to:
#2 - Opposition Teams up early are going to the "prevent" mode; which leads to:
#3 - Veteran players are playing for the paycheck and little else.

This is a general indictment (not every coach and player is included, but it is a Team game)

Shubacca
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure what is going on here. I would say that execution is a big part of it all. You see one guy have a gigantic brain fart, and the play gets blown apart.
For all that though, Campbell is still not absolved of blame. Some of his decisions leave me feeling like I've just watched a dog get fooled on the fake ball throw 50 times. I'm thinking that sooner of later he's going to get it, but he never does. Granted, that throw to Moss was beautiful. And that throw to Cooley was a laser, but if he could see the field with any clarity, we'd probably be blowing teams out.
Does anyone have the ability to see where we rank defensively as far as how many plays our defense has seen? By that I mean, how many plays, on average, per game, does our defense see? My worry is that the defense is going to be played half to death due to offensive ineptitude.

BurgundyNGold
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure what is going on here. I would say that execution is a big part of it all. You see one guy have a gigantic brain fart, and the play gets blown apart.
For all that though, Campbell is still not absolved of blame. Some of his decisions leave me feeling like I've just watched a dog get fooled on the fake ball throw 50 times. I'm thinking that sooner of later he's going to get it, but he never does. Granted, that throw to Moss was beautiful. And that throw to Cooley was a laser, but if he could see the field with any clarity, we'd probably be blowing teams out.
Does anyone have the ability to see where we rank defensively as far as how many plays our defense has seen? By that I mean, how many plays, on average, per game, does our defense see? My worry is that the defense is going to be played half to death due to offensive ineptitude.
Yeah, but that's just the thing. It's a double dip of craptastic.

The offense can't sustain drives so the defense gets more plays. But then, because of Blache's "no pressure/no turnovers/play the run first/soft zones/huge cushions/keep the play in front of you/give up the underneath stuff" philosophy from 1973, the defense can't stop anybody on 3rd down to get off the field. Which, in turn means that the offense sits longer, gets cold and has less of a chance to get into a rhythm.

In short, the offense is screwing the defense and the defense is screwing the offense right back.

akhhorus
10-05-2009, 02:18 PM

13th in plays faced(60 per game) and yet they're 9th worst in TOP defense, that tells me that the problem isn't the offense unable to stay on the field, it tells me that the defense just can't make a stop. Especially when you look at the defensive 3rd down percentage: 43%(7th worst in the NFL) .

Keino
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
13th in plays faced(60 per game) and yet they're 9th worst in TOP defense, that tells me that the problem isn't the offense unable to stay on the field, it tells me that the defense just can't make a stop. Especially when you look at the defensive 3rd down percentage: 43%(7th worst in the NFL) .

Especially in examination of the situational context of that time on the field. In the Lions game, the Defense was almost single-handedly responsible for the TOP disparity. When you give up long 99 and 90 yard drives, that happens.....

Gravy
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=BurgundyNGold;1258088]It's a double dip of craptastic.
QUOTE]

MMMMMMMMHHHHHHHH! Some more please! I think Akh metioned it in another thread, but WHAT is up with the total emotionless on the side lines! Now I could be wrong but doesn't that directly come from the leadership of the Coaching staff? There is seems to be NO FIRE from the very start! Although I do remember seeing Zorn throw some hissy fits vs. the Lions.

CarMike
10-05-2009, 05:51 PM
This isn't so much the problem from the OP, but I was listening to 980 last week and one guy that is on a NFL staff [they didn't mention the guys name on-air] said that our offense and defense doesn't try to hide what the play they're about to run. He said just about all teams try to disguise their play by lining up players in different spots, yet still running the same play. He said the Redskins do not line players up in different areas. They watch the film and are amazed when they know the Redskins next play. That's on both sides of the play.

Telling story seeing how our WRs never seem to be able to get separation and how a team sees we're about to blitz so they audible to a screen play.

SkinsfaninNJ
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Can't speak for TB, but that was definitely the problem against the Rams and Lions. The defense was on the field all day, not because the offense couldn't sustain drives, but because the defense is competely incapable of forcing a three and out.

The Lions game is the best example. The offense goes 10+ plays to the 1 yard line. Defense comes out and gives up a 99 yard drive. Offense goes out and puts together a few first downs (after sitting during the Lions 99 yard drive) then the defense comes out and gives up an 87 yard drive that ends in a FG. In the first three games, the defense is not giving the offense enough chances.

akhhorus
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Can't speak for TB, but that was definitely the problem against the Rams and Lions. The defense was on the field all day, not because the offense couldn't sustain drives, but because the defense is competely incapable of forcing a three and out.

The Lions game is the best example. The offense goes 10+ plays to the 1 yard line. Defense comes out and gives up a 99 yard drive. Offense goes out and puts together a few first downs (after sitting during the Lions 99 yard drive) then the defense comes out and gives up an 87 yard drive that ends in a FG. In the first three games, the defense is not giving the offense enough chances.

Tampa averaged 26 minutes TOP before the skins game, they had over 31 minutes of TOP against the skins. That says it all.

Goskins11
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I think it is very safe to say we have the worst coaching staff in the league. The Oakland Raiders would be close but I think they beat us out in a fist fight.

lol agreed, however their coach will soon be wearing a orange jump suit with County prison imbriodered on the front.

BurgundyNGold
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
MMMMMMMMHHHHHHHH! Some more please! I think Akh metioned it in another thread, but WHAT is up with the total emotionless on the side lines! Now I could be wrong but doesn't that directly come from the leadership of the Coaching staff? There is seems to be NO FIRE from the very start! Although I do remember seeing Zorn throw some hissy fits vs. the Lions.
I saw plenty of emotion. After the game, they were all jumping around like they had just beaten the Russians in ice hockey in 1980. I remember thinking "This is what our franchise has come to. Whooping it up because we beat a bad team that out played us, at home by 3 points."