PDA

View Full Version : BurgundyNGold Glasses: Beggars and Hangers On

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 06:52 PM
My latest brain dump. In this one, I point out the absurdity that is Larry Michael and question 10 years of silence by the people we have looked up to:

http://www.hailredskins.com/

RedskinsDave
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Great work:

Page Not Found

We're sorry, but the page you are looking for isn't here.
Try searching for the page you are looking for or using the navigation in the header or sidebar

Internet fail!!! :Peace:

Fathead
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM
That article sums up the competency of the redskins FO quite nicely.

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Great work:

Page Not Found

We're sorry, but the page you are looking for isn't here.
Try searching for the page you are looking for or using the navigation in the header or sidebar

Internet fail!!! :Peace:
Snyderrato has shut me down! :D

I left it as a draft when I published the link. So, more like: BNG FAIL!

It's up now.

Biggie
10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Great read. I think the Iraqi information minister comparison is spot on.

RedskinsDave
10-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Good job, Milton. I was listening to Theisman on the radio last week and he could have replaced Michael with the unbelievable "yes, I am on the payroll" comments. That's what guys like Snyder do. They pay or promote people who might speak ill of him. Who is going to whip their cash cow?

Axegrinder
10-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree with you completely, however I think the pillars of Washington have been hoodwinked like the rest of us. I think they're homers who have always had hope that the talent on paper would translate into a winning franchise. Now it has become obvious that this will never happen. Hail Bmitch and Riggo!!!

shally
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
i think that was a fine article.. on point in so many ways

the only point i would take issue with is your claim that guys like spurrier, gibbs, turner, marty, lewis, nolan and casserly were all screwed by Snyder.. nothing could be farther from the truth.. each and every one of them was royally compensated-- even in the face of failure.. each and every one of them (with the exception of gibbs) was not even remotely hurt by the time spent here.. all went on to have career advancement post their stints here.

turner served as head coach twice
casserly was named GM of the Texans
spurrier went back to the college game where he was named HC at south carolina
lewis was named to his first head coaching position at Cincy
marty was named HC at SD, and was then fired and replaced by turner !
nolan has continued at HC, and now DC

gibbs retired from the NFL
both Gibbs and Spurrier were said to have left money on the table when the left
Marty might STILL be cashing Snyder's checks for all we know.
Casserly and Snyder have (apparently) had a healing of the wound brought on by Snyder admitting he made a mistake
Turner has underwhelmed in his performances both here and elsewhere..he had 7 years to get it done in DC and failed.. if anything, he should have been fired long before Snyder canned him

you can make the assertion that Snyder set the table for the failure of ALL of those guys and you make a valid point.. but i disagree that he left any of those guys damaged

akhhorus
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Larry Michael actually played the "anyone who criticizes is a Cowboys fan" card? Wow. Thats a new level of pathetic.

shally
10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Larry Michael actually played the "anyone who criticizes is a Cowboys fan" card? Wow. Thats a new level of pathetic.

he really does start to resemble Baghdad Bob now...

tbfoster1
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
he really does start to resemble Baghdad Bob now...

Yeah, He likes his Kool Aid intraveniously (sp?)

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Good job, Milton. I was listening to Theisman on the radio last week and he could have replaced Michael with the unbelievable "yes, I am on the payroll" comments. That's what guys like Snyder do. They pay or promote people who might speak ill of him. Who is going to whip their cash cow?
That's the part I don't understand. None of these guys are poor. They don't *need* to compromise principle for a paycheck. And Theismann has been covering the league for the better part of 20 years. He knows where at least some of the bodies are buried.

I agree with you completely, however I think the pillars of Washington have been hoodwinked like the rest of us. I think they're homers who have always had hope that the talent on paper would translate into a winning franchise. Now it has become obvious that this will never happen. Hail Bmitch and Riggo!!!
BMitch has never been beholden to anyone. I appreciate that. He still tells it like he thinks it is. You have to respect that.

Riggo does the same to a lesser extent, although he held back a whole lot once he started working for Snyder. You can tell the different between when he worked for Snyder and when he didn't.

Oh, it's worse than that. Check out this slurpy bit about Vinny:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/10/cerrato_will_show_you_his_supe.html

It's disgusting.

MONK_in_HOF
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Excellent blog, once again.

I would exclude Riggo from the list of the people who refrain from having a go at Snyder. He has been highly critical of him for as long as I can recall. Maybe he wasn't always been that way, but if I remember correctly Riggo has been pretty critical of Snyder at least dating back to the 70th anniversary season when he refused to attend the Skins GOAT team because he thought the 70th anniversary stuff was just a money making scam devised by Snyder.

give_portis_the_rock
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
This line killed me:

Most Dallas fans are nice, albeit disillusioned people with a propensity for mullets. But if you put the whole lot of them into FedEx Field (which happens every year, thanks to Stub Hub) you wouldn’t be able to exactly power The Matrix. You might be able to power a Nintendo game system with the mental power they collectively produced. But not one of those fancy Wii systems. More like a Gameboy. If you disabled bluetooth.

Well played :Peace:

MONK_in_HOF
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I wonder what Frank Herzog's opinion on the whole situation is? He obviously has no internal insight to the workings of the organization(if you can call it that), but would be interested to hear his take on the state of the Redskins.

akhhorus
10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh, it's worse than that. Check out this slurpy bit about Vinny:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/10/cerrato_will_show_you_his_supe.html

It's disgusting.

Oh christ, now its DC versus the world in NeverNeverland?

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 08:49 PM
i think that was a fine article.. on point in so many ways

the only point i would take issue with is your claim that guys like spurrier, gibbs, turner, marty, lewis, nolan and casserly were all screwed by Snyder.. nothing could be farther from the truth.. each and every one of them was royally compensated-- even in the face of failure.. each and every one of them (with the exception of gibbs) was not even remotely hurt by the time spent here.. all went on to have career advancement post their stints here.
Being royally compensated and being royally screwed are not mutually exclusive.

turner served as head coach twice
His DC was humiliated but the owner, he was left twisting midseason, forced to play Jeff George, forced to play players he didn't ask for and was the fired midseason in a shabby manner. I consider that screwed. Even if he deserved to be fired, he got screwed like 3 or 4 ways.

casserly was named GM of the Texans
If Snyder had fired him on his merits, it would have been fair. Casserly was fired because Snyder wanted the job. That's different. The fact that he got hired in Houston is immaterial.

spurrier went back to the college game where he was named HC at south carolina
Spurrier was promised a real GM and Snyder reneged. Snyder then undermined him by bringing in Pepper Johnson and Joe Bugel as "consultants". To Spurrier's credit, he left the money and left with what dignity he could gather back together like so many Humpty Dumpty bits.

lewis was named to his first head coaching position at Cincy
Lewis probably wasn't screwed. He left before he could be.

marty was named HC at SD, and was then fired and replaced by turner !
Marty cut huge swaths out of a cap that was *way* over the limit. He then turned the club around, going 8-3 in his last 11 games. He then got fired after 1 season because he wouldn't give Snyder the GM role.

nolan has continued at HC, and now DC
Vanilla ice cream. Nothing more be said.

gibbs retired from the NFL
both Gibbs and Spurrier were said to have left money on the table when the left
That should tell you something.

Marty might STILL be cashing Snyder's checks for all we know.
That just proves that Snyder is impatient and stupid.

Casserly and Snyder have (apparently) had a healing of the wound brought on by Snyder admitting he made a mistake
Not really. Casserly still hates him.

Turner has underwhelmed in his performances both here and elsewhere..he had 7 years to get it done in DC and failed.. if anything, he should have been fired long before Snyder canned him
He should hae been fired, that's true. But you don't treat a dog the way Snyder treated him.

you can make the assertion that Snyder set the table for the failure of ALL of those guys and you make a valid point.. but i disagree that he left any of those guys damaged
Whether they left damaged or not isn't the point. Snyder damaged them while they were here. He undermined them and, in some cases, humiliated them.

Why don't they sound off on him? Because they want to be classy? Fine, that's great for them. But it's caused the fans here to waste 10 years of hope on that clown Snyder.

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Excellent blog, once again.

I would exclude Riggo from the list of the people who refrain from having a go at Snyder. He has been highly critical of him for as long as I can recall. Maybe he wasn't always been that way, but if I remember correctly Riggo has been pretty critical of Snyder at least dating back to the 70th anniversary season when he refused to attend the Skins GOAT team because he thought the 70th anniversary stuff was just a money making scam devised by Snyder.
Riggo was critical. Then he wasn't (when he was getting paid by Red Zebra). Now he's critical again.

That said, he and BMitch are probably the most consistent in voicing displeasure.

My biggest problems are with Sonny.

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I wonder what Frank Herzog's opinion on the whole situation is? He obviously has no internal insight to the workings of the organization(if you can call it that), but would be interested to hear his take on the state of the Redskins.
I talked to him about it once at my Safeway. He's classy as always but, you could tell that he was still pissed. I made a less tha flattering remark about Larry Michael and he smiled in a way that let me know that we were of the same mind.

MONK_in_HOF
10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Riggo was critical. Then he wasn't (when he was getting paid by Red Zebra). Now he's critical again.

That said, he and BMitch are probably the most consistent in voicing displeasure.

My biggest problems are with Sonny.

I wonder how much Sonny actually needs the money. He certainly isn't living off the wages he earned from his playing days.

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I wonder how much Sonny actually needs the money. He certainly isn't living off the wages he earned from his playing days.
He's easily made 6 figures for 20 years of doing Redskin games, NBC4 television, etc. He doesn't drink anymore, so he can't be pissing it away on booze and hookers in Vegas lol.

Sonny makes me wonder. Is it a case of him just being a yes-man? Or is it a case of him being the Little Dutch Boy, trying to contain the flood or affect change from the inside? I mean, maybe we could be looking at a situation where the team would be a complete and utter disaster is Sonny wasn't there to temper Danny.

Or maybe he's just enjoying the ride.

give_portis_the_rock
10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
He's easily made 6 figures for 20 years of doing Redskin games, NBC4 television, etc. He doesn't drink anymore, so he can't be pissing it away on booze and hookers in Vegas lol.

Sonny makes me wonder. Is it a case of him just being a yes-man? Or is it a case of him being the Little Dutch Boy, trying to contain the flood or affect change from the inside? I mean, maybe we could be looking at a situation where the team would be a complete and utter disaster is Sonny wasn't there to temper Danny.

Or maybe he's just enjoying the ride.

I don't think he's a yes man. There is always a sense of dissatisfaction in his voice when he covers games (at least that's how I feel).

In the case of Sam Huff, I just think he's senile and doesn't know any better (even though I love him).

BurgundyNGold
10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't think he's a yes man. There is always a sense of dissatisfaction in his voice when he covers games (at least that's how I feel).

In the case of Sam Huff, I just think he's senile and doesn't know any better (even though I love him).
What do Snyder and Sonny talk about when they're sitting together under the tents in their Francis Macomber hunting hats, smoking cigars and shooting the breeze? Clearly, Sonny is not tellnig him "Dan, you can't just do such ans such". Or, "Dan, you know, you have to keep at least SOME draft picks." Or, "Dan, what exactly is it that Vinny does? I mean, don't you think there's an upgrade opportunity there?"

THAT'S where Sonny, George, et al need to speak up and keep him from going deep end.

colkurtz
10-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Excellent write-up! The reason there are so many sychophants and hangers on for the Redskins:

1. People rarely say negative things about the owners or people with the money - especially in sports.
1a. If you do say something bad about someone like Snyder he'll hold a grudge for the next 30 years.
2. It's not politically-correct to tell the truth, especially in sports. All we get is "spin", "both sides of the story", press agents and "flash versus action". only the WaPo is blasting Snyder on a regular basis because both hate each other.

Snyder wants to run this team like his own little fantasy football franchise. There will be some HC to come in next January for $10 million a year and 5 year contract. We will throw everything into the top QB draft position. We will see a huge turnover of players.

helimech24
10-10-2009, 10:41 PM
What I find so funny is that the Redskins get blasted by the national media so often...but nothing comes from it. When we were 6-2 last year, almost every one of the ESPN analyst thought the bottom was gonna fall out because they were depending on CP so much and none of us wanted to believe it....then it happened just like they said. Still nothing happens! But Snyder does know how to prey on our faith in our team, and that we don't give up on them...they do just enough during the offseason for us to believe they have a chance!

flave1969
10-11-2009, 05:08 AM
If there is one reason I hope the dysfunction continues, it is so we can read brilliance like this. Thanks BNG.

I was over at Facebook and there was a poll on there about who was to blame for the mess we see. Although 46% blame Snyder it is clear to see why he gets a pass from so many Redskins fans, pure delusion.

I cannot understand why so many people disconnect our team's travails and Snyder. So many people give him a pass because he is seen to splash the cash. That must make him a fan, right? So its OK.

Yet they ignore the fact that in fact we have been a middle of the road payroll team for quite sometime, bringing in and relying on a large number of sub standard players over the past 10 years because we overpay our so called stars. They ignore the fact that Danny's investment in scouting is the smallest in the league. Finally anyone going to a game gets fleeced from top to bottom if they want to buy anything.

Danny is making a mint of the franchise. When will people realise it is the franchise paying it's way not Danny ploughing in Millions of his own money each year. He may have outlayed $800 million to buy the team but he currrently sits on a franchise worth $1.1 Billion now.

Lets face it Zorn is a crappy coach and play caller and our on field woes lie at his door, but who hired him? Who made a first time HC, be OC, play caller and QB coach all at the same time? Snyder.

I could go on and on, but it is just tiresome now. I just hope for the best on Sundays now.

shally
10-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Not really. Casserly still hates him.

He should hae been fired, that's true. But you don't treat a dog the way Snyder treated him.

Whether they left damaged or not isn't the point. Snyder damaged them while they were here. He undermined them and, in some cases, humiliated them.

Why don't they sound off on him? Because they want to be classy? Fine, that's great for them. But it's caused the fans here to waste 10 years of hope on that clown Snyder.[/QUOTE]

not sure if Casserly hates him.. nothing he has said in public would indicate that

as far as why people havent stepped up, i would bet that anyone who was owned a penny in salary had a "no public disclosure" clause in their contracts..
also, it is a very small pool and you dont make any friends by trashing ownership--even if it is deserved..

i think that both gibbs and spurrier are ethical enough not to trash snyder-- no matter how they were treated..

shally
10-11-2009, 08:05 AM

very good point..totally different financials for the older guys

MDBluefinCrab
10-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Good article. It's a damn shame that the only good articles about the Redskins are the ones criticizing the organization and it's inane owner and lackeys.
What's even sadder is hearing people still defend this jerk and believing that this team still has a chance. If you want a good laugh, go visit that other site. The mods there are just as pathetic as Larry Michaels.

MONK_in_HOF
10-11-2009, 10:04 AM
If there is one reason I hope the dysfunction continues, it is so we can read brilliance like this. Thanks BNG.

I was over at Facebook and there was a poll on there about who was to blame for the mess we see. Although 46% blame Snyder it is clear to see why he gets a pass from so many Redskins fans, pure delusion.

I cannot understand why so many people disconnect our team's travails and Snyder. So many people give him a pass because he is seen to splash the cash. That must make him a fan, right? So its OK.

Yet they ignore the fact that in fact we have been a middle of the road payroll team for quite sometime, bringing in and relying on a large number of sub standard players over the past 10 years because we overpay our so called stars. They ignore the fact that Danny's investment in scouting is the smallest in the league. Finally anyone going to a game gets fleeced from top to bottom if they want to buy anything.

Danny is making a mint of the franchise. When will people realise it is the franchise paying it's way not Danny ploughing in Millions of his own money each year. He may have outlayed $800 million to buy the team but he currrently sits on a franchise worth $1.1 Billion now.

Lets face it Zorn is a crappy coach and play caller and our on field woes lie at his door, but who hired him? Who made a first time HC, be OC, play caller and QB coach all at the same time? Snyder.

I could go on and on, but it is just tiresome now. I just hope for the best on Sundays now.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more and don't understand it either. Especially with that in bold.

Jon Creveling
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Good article. It's a damn shame that the only good articles about the Redskins are the ones criticizing the organization and it's inane owner and lackeys.
What's even sadder is hearing people still defend this jerk and believing that this team still has a chance. If you want a good laugh, go visit that other site. The mods there are just as pathetic as Larry Michaels.

Badass article B.N.G.!

As an out of town Skins fan in my lonely post of N.J. sandwiched 1/2 way between N.Y.C. and Philly I rely on all you guys for your thoughts, ideas., hell even the bitchfests!:)

This site realy helps me deal with our team and all it's flaws, I realy enjoy reading everyones input, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

MDBFC, you brought up that unnamed site, I agree with you! Once and a blue-moon I'll spy over there (forgive me guys!) What an effen whorehouse that place is, One real fan on average surrounded by ten crack heads and 20 professional excuse makers! :confused:

DID I MENTION I'M HAPPY THAT MY BOY WYNN GOT S-CANNED OFF ROSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK_in_HOF
10-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I am about to be sick listening to Theisman right now. He is right there in Vinny and Snyder's corner and making it out like play calling is the main issue. Insanity. It is driving me mad, but for some reason I can't change the channel. Last week I thought he actually had seen enough and started to be critical of the FO. Now he is back to being the company man.

shally
10-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I am about to be sick listening to Theisman right now. He is right there in Vinny and Snyder's corner and making it out like play calling is the main issue. Insanity. It is driving me mad, but for some reason I can't change the channel. Last week I thought he actually had seen enough and started to be critical of the FO. Now he is back to being the company man.

complete BS, if that is what he is saying

we lack overall talent..Jimmy Johnson had the best take on things last week

CarMike
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Complete BS. I quit listening it got so bad. Right in the middle of the Monk interview.

MONK_in_HOF
10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Bashing Vinny is becoming basically an around the clock thing on WTEM/980, which I don't think is a bad thing btw. But with the amount of air time Vinny gets himself, I wonder why someone hasn't asked him.

A) Vinny with Zorn apparently on the hot seat, who made the decision to bring him here? Was it you? Was it Snyder? Or was it a collaborative decision?

I assume Vinny would say something vague along the lines of 'we all got together and decided' and 'he is still our coach, we don't plan on firing him'.

Follow-up:
If he is fired who is going to be held responsible? Anybody? Or is it Zorn's fault for taking an extremely lucrative opportunity that he was unqualified for?

I am sick of these people bashing Vinny and then not asking the tough questions when he comes on air.