PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famer Steve Largent Gives His Two Cents

LATrueRedskin
10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
From Mosley's Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast):

Hall of Famer Steve Largent described Redskins coach Jim Zorn as his daily confidant before blasting team owner Daniel Snyder and the organization during an interview with Mitch Levy of KJR radio in Seattle.

Among the highlights:
Largent called Snyder's decision to name Sherm Lewis playcaller "a joke" and an embarrassment for the organization.

Largent said he thought Snyder revoked play-calling duties in an effort to force Zorn to resign.

Zorn did consider resigning, but decided against it because he isn't a quitter.

The Redskins do not have the talent to succeed for Zorn, Joe Gibbs or anyone else.

Snyder doesn't know what he wants in a coach.
Largent and Zorn played together in Seattle from 1976-1984.

This is interesting. Largent says he "thinks" Zorn's playcalling was revoked in an effort to force him to resign, but that Zorn his his "daily confidant". I'm sure Largent doesn't just think it, but knows it.

CarMike
10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
PR disaster.

However, if Snyder is anything like Portis, he won't hear of it. Since they don't listen to the radio nor read the papers.

Sweepea436
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe we'll try to sign him. He looks great on paper!

Grant
10-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Zorn is a nice guy, so I'd like him to do well. Or possibly resign, then the team still not do well just to vindicate zorn. But as a fan I don't want to see the team not do well.

If only we could perform well with Zorn,then it's a win win.

Ibleedburgundy
10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Not defending Dan but Largent is hardly an impartial observer. While he's right (IMO) about the talent, particularly at O-line, Zorn has made some awful decisions that had little or nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with poor coaching.

bigcmr
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I guess everyone football relaited knows Snyder is a joke.

Jon Creveling
10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Not defending Dan but Largent is hardly an impartial observer.

They're probably closer than most brothers are. Another thing to remember is than Dan , right or wrong, gave him a chance when no one else would have, he knew what he was getting into.:smash:

bfauble83
10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Zorn is a nice guy, so I'd like him to do well. Or possibly resign, then the team still not do well just to vindicate zorn. But as a fan I don't want to see the team not do well.

I agree with this, but also if Zorn does well here it would make Snyderrato look good for bringing him and sticking with him which means we never get a gm. Realistically though, no way he does well here and will probably be gone this time next week.

BurgundyNGold
10-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Me too. Only I'd like to see him do it at Northwestern.

dj_stouty
10-21-2009, 03:54 PM
They're probably closer than most brothers are.

I believe I read somewhere that they were each other's best man in their weddings. While Largent makes some good points, he is neglecting to note the errors of his buddy, Jim.

Skins7ny
10-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I am glad that Zorn had Largent speak out on his behalf. It is about time that somebody tells the emperor and his court jester publicly that he has no clothes.

Steve Largent's pinky knows more football than Dan Snyder's entire body.
And both Largent and Zorn have more class and dignity than Dan and Vinny combined, 1000 times over.

Our franchise is being run by two complete horses' asses. Which is bad enough, but much worse when the two horses' asses think they know a lot about football, and actually know nothing.

As they discussed on 980 a little while ago, Largent confirmed that Dan and Vinny pulled out Zorn's contract during the meeting Sunday night and showed him that he had to do what they told him or they'd have grounds for firing him (meaning they don't have to pay the rest of the contract). Zorn was an idiot to have negotiated the deal himself, although maybe if he had an agent involved Dan and Vinny would not have hired him. Zorn had no choice other than to turn over the playcalling to the person of Danny/Vinny's choice.

Just pathetic.

nicefellow31
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
I am glad that Zorn had Largent speak out on his behalf. It is about time that somebody tells the emperor and his court jester publicly that he has no clothes.

And both Largent and Zorn have more class and dignity than Dan and Vinny combined, 1000 times over.

Our franchise is being run by two complete horses' asses. Which is bad enough, but much worse when the two horses' asses think they know a lot about football, and actually know nothing.

As they discussed on 980 a little while ago, Largent confirmed that Dan and Vinny pulled out Zorn's contract during the meeting Sunday night and showed him that he had to do what they told him or they'd have grounds for firing him (meaning they don't have to pay the rest of the contract). Zorn was an idiot to have negotiated the deal himself, although maybe if he had an agent involved Dan and Vinny would not have hired him. Zorn had no choice other than to turn over the playcalling to the person of Danny/Vinny's choice.

Just pathetic.

Can this organization sink any lower? What clowns. BTW, I imagine dumb and dumber (Dan & Vinny) will be happy that Zorn leaked the story to Largent and Largent leaked it to the media. Personally, if I was Zorn I wouldn't resign and I would make these chumps pay me all my money.

silverspring
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Largent really calls it like it is, very telling quotes

shally
10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
From Mosley's Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast):

This is interesting. Largent says he "thinks" Zorn's playcalling was revoked in an effort to force him to resign, but that Zorn his his "daily confidant". I'm sure Largent doesn't just think it, but knows it.

Zorn didnt resign because there are millions of dollars involved..

Shubacca
10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I truly hate this franchise. I never thought I would say it, but those two jokers have effectively made me hate it. They crap on the people that work there, and they fleece their fans at every turn.
Now that I think about it; everytime Snyder or Cerrato have said that Redskins fans are the "greatest in the world", I thought they were just pandering. Turns out what they meant was, "the greatest fans in the world because we continue to field an inferior product, take a dump on their overall experience, and look like complete clowns from a management standpoint, and these great fans keep coming out, buying tickets, and believing that this team has a shot." Ya bugged-eyed puke. I'd love to rap you in the snot box with a fist of rolled quarters.

shally
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Just pathetic.

when you deal from a position of extreme weakness what else would you expect to see in a contract ?

i guarantee you that Shanahan's contract, or Holmgren's would contain none of that rubbish

the problem was that Zorn was totally unqualified to be a Head Coach. if you start with that kind of premise, why wouldnt there be that kind of clause ??

shally
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I truly hate this franchise. I never thought I would say it, but those two jokers have effectively made me hate it. They crap on the people that work there, and they fleece their fans at every turn.
Now that I think about it; everytime Snyder or Cerrato have said that Redskins fans are the "greatest in the world", I thought they were just pandering. Turns out what they meant was, "the greatest fans in the world because we continue to field an inferior product, take a dump on their overall experience, and look like complete clowns from a management standpoint, and these great fans keep coming out, buying tickets, and believing that this team has a shot." Ya bugged-eyed puke. I'd love to rap you in the snot box with a fist of rolled quarters.

i dont hate this franchise.. i could never hate it.

make no mistake, Snyder may own the team, but he is only the temporary
keeper of the flame.. and a very poor one at that.
his time, though long, will eventually pass and hopefully someone better will inherit the responsibility for maintaining the dignity of the institution

sadly, i doubt i am young enough to see this pass.. but it will..

keep the faith, y'all....

SkinsfaninNJ
10-21-2009, 04:55 PM
i dont hate this franchise.. i could never hate it.

make no mistake, Snyder may own the team, but he is only the temporary
keeper of the flame.. and a very poor one at that.
his time, though long, will eventually pass and hopefully someone better will inherit the responsibility for maintaining the dignity of the institution

sadly, i doubt i am young enough to see this pass.. but it will..

keep the faith, y'all....

I am in a wierd place with the franchise. Sometimes I joke about it and it makes me feel better. But mostly, I am sad when I think about it. I sort of feel like it is a family member that has spiraled out of control with drugs or alcohol. I keep hoping it will turn around, but I am losing faith that it will. The worst part is it makes me feel powerless.

WarEagle
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I enjoyed listening to Largent's 18 min interview. Around 12 min is about Zorn, so I advise everyone to give it a listen. As Largent said, the columnists in DC are saying the same things he is.

Skins7ny
10-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Can this organization sink any lower? What clowns. BTW, I imagine dumb and dumber (Dan & Vinny) will be happy that Zorn leaked the story to Largent and Largent leaked it to the media. Personally, if I was Zorn I wouldn't resign and I would make these chumps pay me all my money.
I don't think anybody expects Zorn to tell Snyder and Cerrato to stick it and surrender millions of dollars. Although I am sure he'd like to.
I understand how you are feeling. I love this team so much that not even Snyder and Cerrato can destroy my love for it. I have been following this team since I was 7, growing up in Giants territory with an older brother who is a Cowboy fan. My love for the team is a big part of the reason I moved to DC. I remember the year Riggo "retired" (anybody else remember giving up 2 2nd-round picks to the 49ers for Wilbur Jackson?) and of course the Petitbone year, as well as some of the terrible years under Norv. This is by far the lowest I have felt as a Redskins fan. What was once a source of endless fun and happiness in my life has for several years become a source of sadness, anger and frustration under the terrible ownership of Daniel Snyder.

I hope that Snyder sees the light some day, either voluntarily or involuntarily, or failing that, that he be forced someday to cede ownership of the team to someone who will treat it (and us, the fans) they way it deserves to be treated: as a public trust rather than a private piece of property to be used according to the owner's whim.

I love this team. I always will. I will continue to watch every game, update the roster I have kept on my computer (and in a spiral notebook before the days of the home computer) and follow the team's moves. However, I have not and will not give Dan Snyder one dime of my $$ and I support any effort to let him know that he is not operating in a vacuum, that we the fans are fed up with his stewardship of the franchise.

when you deal from a position of extreme weakness what else would you expect to see in a contract ?

i guarantee you that Shanahan's contract, or Holmgren's would contain none of that rubbish
the problem was that Zorn was totally unqualified to be a Head Coach. if you start with that kind of premise, why wouldnt there be that kind of clause ??
Which is why there probably will be no Shanahan or Holmgren contract. I don't see Danny signing a contract that requires him to stay out of the way. He did that with Marty and regretted it the whole year. He still has no clue that he is the problem. He owns the team and will not give the keys to anyone.

One of my favorite sayings (because it is my own :)) is "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". Just because Danny had the superior bargaining position, as you pointed out, doesn't mean that he should sign his head coach to a contract that permits his emasculation. Of course, Danny is all about humiliating and emasculating employees who displease him. He did it to Mike Nolan, he did it to Norv Turner, he tried to do it to Steve Spurrier (who seemed impervious to humiliation) and rumor is he even tried to do it to Joe Gibbs (there was a story recently that Danny was behind the Al Saunders hiring). Regardless of my feeling about Norv and the others, a person does not deserve to be treated that way as long as they are working hard and trying, which all of those guys (except Spurrier) were doing. Zorn certainly is working hard and trying hard.

shally
10-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't think anybody expects Zorn to tell Snyder and Cerrato to stick it and surrender millions of dollars. Although I am sure he'd like to.

I understand how you are feeling. I love this team so much that not even Snyder and Cerrato can destroy my love for it. I have been following this team since I was 7, growing up in Giants territory with an older brother who is a Cowboy fan. My love for the team is a big part of the reason I moved to DC. I remember the year Riggo "retired" (anybody else remember giving up 2 2nd-round picks to the 49ers for Wilbur Jackson?) and of course the Petitbone year, as well as some of the terrible years under Norv. This is by far the lowest I have felt as a Redskins fan. What was once a source of endless fun and happiness in my life has for several years become a source of sadness, anger and frustration under the terrible ownership of Daniel Snyder.

I hope that Snyder sees the light some day, either voluntarily or involuntarily, or failing that, that he be forced someday to cede ownership of the team to someone who will treat it (and us, the fans) they way it deserves to be treated: as a public trust rather than a private piece of property to be used according to the owner's whim.

I love this team. I always will. I will continue to watch every game, update the roster I have kept on my computer (and in a spiral notebook before the days of the home computer) and follow the team's moves. However, I have not and will not give Dan Snyder one dime of my $$ and I support any effort to let him know that he is not operating in a vacuum, that we the fans are fed up with his stewardship of the franchise.

Which is why there probably will be no Shanahan or Holmgren contract. I don't see Danny signing a contract that requires him to stay out of the way. He did that with Marty and regretted it the whole year. He still has no clue that he is the problem. He owns the team and will not give the keys to anyone.

One of my favorite sayings (because it is my own :)) is "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". Just because Danny had the superior bargaining position, as you pointed out, doesn't mean that he should sign his head coach to a contract that permits his emasculation. Of course, Danny is all about humiliating and emasculating employees who displease him. He did it to Mike Nolan, he did it to Norv Turner, he tried to do it to Steve Spurrier (who seemed impervious to humiliation) and rumor is he even tried to do it to Joe Gibbs (there was a story recently that Danny was behind the Al Saunders hiring). Regardless of my feeling about Norv and the others, a person does not deserve to be treated that way as long as they are working hard and trying, which all of those guys (except Spurrier) were doing. Zorn certainly is working hard and trying hard.

agree with almost everything you say..

but i think that Snyder is going to have to give this time around, unless he simply is going to hire another weak coordinator, or Jim Fassel desperate individual..

he can keep going on as long as he wants, but the handwriting is on the wall: the best he can hope for is a .500 team if all the tumblers fall into place at once.. i cannot see him enduring another season like this one..

he could survive a 5-11 with Gibbs as HC.. not with Zorn.. and he knows he wont get better than that unless he hires a quality head coach. to do that, he is going to have to yield.. if he doesnt realize that now (and i think he actually DOES) having discussions with the likes of Gruden or Holmgren or
Shanahan will quickly disabuse him of that delusion

there really is no other choice if he wants any chance of winning.. does he want to win, or does he want to run things himself ? all of Vinny's genuflecting and bootlicking cannot disguise the abject failure that is, and will be, this season..

snyder will make substantive changes at the end of this year.. watch and see.. it isnt that he wants to, it is that he HAS to and cannot delude himself any further. this season wasnt an aberration, it was a completely direct result of a series of mis-steps that have been occuring for quite some time.
Snyder (likely) has enough money to go down this path for some time. i dont think he has the ego or ironclad stomach to do that.. he will grudgingly change...

bigmike7914
10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
If the Skins look good offensively and move the ball well and actually score tds, Zorn will look very bad and would probably never get a chance at calling plays again not on an nfl level. I understand friendship but has Largent seen the play calling in the redzone, Zorn puts the team in the worst possible situation most of the time, and as for talent if Zorn was calling plays for a pro bowl team they still wouldn't get production because Zorn is never prepared.

"Piss poor preparation leads to piss poor production."
Bill Walsh

Goskins11
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
intersting. Seems like Jim's just about done. Who will be the intern?

smoak
10-22-2009, 06:15 AM
GO LARGENT!!!

Zorn has made mistakes and I raked him over the coals at times, but he didn't hire himself. Snyder is the enemy.

skinsfan36
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
largent says some true things.but he supports his best friend which you should do. fire zorn!