PDA

View Full Version : Lot of parts to fix ...

SweetBubbaT
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
But if you were going to start somewhere ... you start with the O Line, right?

So how do we get 5 new pieces quickly? Who can we trade to attain "C+" to "B -" rated lineman? Moss? Cooley? Portis?

How many O linemen should we draft?

My feeling is that we do not draft a QB too high, instead we get a servicable veteran QB and we stock up on lineman. Get a servicable hard-nosed runner, with a scat-back for a change-of-pace. Go with our young receivers (Risk? yes ... but we HAVE to build a line).

Build the line ... build the line ... build the line!

Where would you start?

bigcmr
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Start with replacing Vinny. And Bugel is out sorry to say. Then draft 2-3 Olineman. (Draft not sign guys that are 400 pounds and out of the NFL for 3 years) Pick up a few FAs hope we could build off of that. Yet for some reason why do I see one big name singing and the FO hopeing Randy Thomas can make a come back?

SWFlaSkinsFan
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Fire Vinny ... hire a real GM ... now !!!!

The rest of this season will unfold however it's going to ... with a "fresh set of eyes" watching the ugliness ... and the rest will take care of itself ...

If that isn't done ... then the rest won't matter ...

Redskin4Life
11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Honestly... if we spend the whole next draft on OLinemen, I think O side of the ball will be fixed. And of course, we don't need to do anything on the D side except get a D Coordinator with a pair... I'm sick of this weak @$$ defensive scheme. We need to ATTACK with the guys we've got and we need to bring some real blitzes (ie load up one side every once in a while).

GreenspanDan
11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
portis is too old and too often injured to have any value. moss and cooley would have value. i like moss, but with all our young receivers, he is probably the most expendable. cooley probably isn't tradeable with a broken ankle, and imo i'd want to keep him anyway.

i'm actually concerned that next year our secondary is going to be like our o-line this year. Rogers is older than Portis. Smoot is just about done. Hall will be our best CB and he is inconsistent at best. behind them we have a bunch of players who basically give QBs wet dreams.

there's just soooo much that needs fixing.

Redskin4Life
11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Comment to Post #1:

I think we could easily get highly rated OLinemen with our high 1st and 2nd... IMHO, we need to trade down our pick for more picks or an OLinemen and picks. Use this terrible season to our advantage. Get the 3 or so OL guys we need in the first day. We've got the right QB (I'm sure many people will argue against me on this point... but I still believe in JC) and WRs (with more time for JC to throw... I'm sure the WRs can get to their spots and JC can look for more than just his first read). The RBs will just have to do for one more year until the 2011 draft....

CarMike
11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree, we need a GM first.

Hire a coach and staff who hold players accountable for their play.

Draft OL/OL/OL/OL/OL

Move Orakpo to fulltime DE position.

Look in the 2nd round to see if there is a QB the new HC likes.

Look for a new RB during FA. Not sure who will be available.

fent
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
If Bradford is available when we pick, I take him and sign a veteran like Garcia or the like to run the offense for a year while we get Bradford used to the NFL. For the o-line, I'd sign a guy like Alex Barron, Jared Gaither or Marcus McNeill, both of whom are free agents to man the tackle spot and potentially I look at Logan Mankins or Jahri Evans if the Pats or Saints let them go. In the draft I highly consider moving back into the late first if one of the tackles is dropping. If not, I stand pat, grab the best lineman regardless of position at the top of the 2nd and then in the 3rd go best available O-line yet again. Gives us a franchise signal caller and a solid o-line.

joethefan
11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
If Bradford is available when we pick, I take him and sign a veteran like Garcia or the like to run the offense for a year while we get Bradford used to the NFL. For the o-line, I'd sign a guy like Alex Barron, Jared Gaither or Marcus McNeill, both of whom are free agents to man the tackle spot and potentially I look at Logan Mankins or Jahri Evans if the Pats or Saints let them go. In the draft I highly consider moving back into the late first if one of the tackles is dropping. If not, I stand pat, grab the best lineman regardless of position at the top of the 2nd and then in the 3rd go best available O-line yet again. Gives us a franchise signal caller and a solid o-line.

that statement has malcolm kelly written all over it..IMO

fent
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
that statement has malcolm kelly written all over it..IMO

minus the degenerative knee condition ;)

joethefan
11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
minus the degenerative knee condition ;)

i understand the garcia move, but we need to fix the line first...bradford would not be the first choice of mine w the big name qbs....can you explain your thinking?

smoot
11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
It's actually very conceivable that the Redskins could draft the #1 ranked OT, OC, and OG in the entire draft... not that the front office has shown the brains to ever pull that off. All it would take is a slight trade down from where I expect to draft after finishing the season at 2-14 (3-13 at the best) which i'm guessing would put us at pick number 3 which we could trade for the sixth or seventh plus a second rounder and draft Okung, O'Dowd, and Iupati with the first three picks. Add in a veteran OT in FA and all of the sudden, the o-line is looking very good.

fent
11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
i understand the garcia move, but we need to fix the line first...bradford would not be the first choice of mine w the big name qbs....can you explain your thinking?

my thinking is based on the assumption that we'll continue with the WCO and not change that up. he has an above-average arm, is accurate (69% completion percentage coming into this season - higher than Peyton's at Tennessee), makes quick reads, and is decisive. His downside is he plays most of his snaps from the shotgun, thus the need to sit for a year and learn how to take a snap from under center and make a 3-step or 7-step drop.

also, my scenario is based on the premise that we grab one or two of those FA linemen and then draft a lineman with our second pick. call it the Atlanta secnario if you will. Ryan at 3 and Baker at 21.

BurgundyNGold
11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Anyone who thinks that we only have holes at OL isn't seeing the big picture. And if folks think that spending 5 picks on the OL in the upcoming draft haven't learned a whole lot from the 2nd round debacle in 2008.

Select the best player available. Hopefully, that player is an OL, since that's what we need most blatantly. But don't reach and, for crying out loud, don't go overboard is some pathetic, reactionary attempt to camouflage your past failures. Maybe we can't get it all done in one draft and one FA. That's fine. Develop a multiyear plan and work within that framework.

There is not going to be a quick fix. Get that DannySpeak out of your heads. It's going to take at least 2-3 years before we're respectable again. And that's assuming that a) we get a good GM, b) he hires and good coach, and c-zzzzzz) Danny stays the hell out of everything.

SkinsfaninNJ
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone who thinks that we only have holes at OL isn't seeing the big picture. And if folks think that spending 5 picks on the OL in the upcoming draft haven't learned a whole lot from the 2nd round debacle in 2008.

Select the best player available. Hopefully, that player is an OL, since that's what we need most blatantly. But don't reach and, for crying out loud, don't go overboard is some pathetic, reactionary attempt to camouflage your past failures. Maybe we can't get it all done in one draft and one FA. That's fine. Develop a multiyear plan and work within that framework.

There is not going to be a quick fix. Get that DannySpeak out of your heads. It's going to take at least 2-3 years before we're respectable again. And that's assuming that a) we get a good GM, b) he hires and good coach, and c-zzzzzz) Danny stays the hell out of everything.

I agree to a point. I wouldn't necessarily draft 5 olineman either. But we have to find a way to get as close to a sure fire start on day one 10 year building block tackle in the first two rounds. Whether that means trading back to the spot he is most likely to be taken or drating him with our most likely, top 5 pick.

I don't expect to change in one offseason. But we have to start prioritizing the right positions. For example, offensive tackle more important that safety and tight end.

BurgundyNGold
11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree to a point. I wouldn't necessarily draft 5 olineman either. But we have to find a way to get as close to a sure fire start on day one 10 year building block tackle in the first two rounds. Whether that means trading back to the spot he is most likely to be taken or drating him with our most likely, top 5 pick.

I don't expect to change in one offseason. But we have to start prioritizing the right positions. For example, offensive tackle more important that safety and tight end.
I think you have to strike a balance. If you are in a position where there is an A grade guy at a need position, that's an easy pick. In fact, those are the only ones that Snyderrato have excelled at, the so called "no brainers".

It's also easy when there's an A grade guy available at a position where you're already 2 deep and the positions that you are looking to fill rate out with players at C grade left on the board where you pick. You trade down.

Where it gets difficult is balancing the immediate need with the long term plan. If you are not 100% in love with somebody where you pick, trade down. I don't care if its the 1st round or the 3rd round or the 7th round. Don't reach for a player because of your needs. It's better to pick a better player elsewhere or trade down if you're not sold on the guys who are there when you pick.

Brokenstriker
11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
What we need is Chip Foose ... ever see him build a classic car on that show Overhaulin'? He takes a hunk of junk and spends a week with a team of experts and turns it into a high value custom car ...

usually there is about ~ 5% of the original car in the final product

NamVet4
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
BnG is right.. This mess gets fixed over 2 - 3 YEARS! No quick fix.
Hire a real NFL GM... evaluate the mess.
Hire a coach who has a pair( Both offensive and defensive)

Look at the draft but as BnG said... don't over reach. Get value, not quantity.
Lord knows we have had a lot of cannon fodder in and out of the Team in the past.

And finally, and most importantly, get Daniel Snyder out of the Team! (Best case scenario is that he sits in the suites and schmoozes and turns senile.)

Nomad
11-09-2009, 04:18 PM
But if you were going to start somewhere ... you start with the O Line, right?

If a franchise QB is available, and you don't have one, you take one, that is the golden rule of the draft. Not that I have any faith in the current FO to make that decision properly.

So how do we get 5 new pieces quickly? Who can we trade to attain "C+" to "B -" rated lineman? Moss? Cooley? Portis?

The notion that any fix can be implemented "QUICKLY" has been the problem with this franchise. There is no quick fix. We have to value draft picks, sign quality modest priced FAs, and draft smart 2-4 years before the end is anywhere in sight.

How many O linemen should we draft?

I think in later rounds you still look for gems wherever you think they may be. You don't HAVE to take a lineman, but the problem is Vinny and Dan's bias from ever investing in trenches on draft day.

My feeling is that we do not draft a QB too high, instead we get a servicable veteran QB and we stock up on lineman. Get a servicable hard-nosed runner, with a scat-back for a change-of-pace. Go with our young receivers (Risk? yes ... but we HAVE to build a line).

We have nothing at QB. Nothing. You have to draft at least 1. If a good RB available late, no prob with that, everything else should be OL. Assuming we had 7 picks, which we don't. 1st round, QB. 2nd round, LT. Etc. Or 1st round LT, 2nd round QB. But if a true franchise QB is there, you HAVE to take him.

Build the line ... build the line ... build the line!

Where would you start?

Firing Vinny, obviously. No kneejerk trades in which we sacrifice picks, no more mortgaging future. I'd trade Moss, ARE, Portis, Fletcher, any older than 27 player I could get any reasonable value for. We are years from being a contender, rebuild young. If we ended up with a few 5ths and 4ths for these bums, we'd be doing well. Ideally, you'd draft:

2 QBs, LT, RT, T, T, G, G, C That's 9 guys. It is absolutely stupefying to think we don't have single NFL caliber T on our roster. Let the young QBs fight it out, and go with an entire rookie line cept Dock, maybe Rabach. Start rookie QB day one.

Maybe you keep Portis one more year, trade him next.

CarMike
11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Notice I said hire a GM and a new HC who knew what they were doing. lol

shally
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
clean house.. few, if any players are safe..

akhhorus
11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/MVC-178F.JPG

BurgundyNGold
11-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Notice I said hire a GM and a new HC who knew what they were doing. lol
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular lol. I'm just frustrated because it seems that the "we only need to fix _______ and we'll be able to compete" talk is already starting. Well, unless "_______" includes hiring a new GM, letting him hire a HC, replacing all of our coaches and at least half of our players and handcuffing the Danny to a radiator inside of Cheyenne mountain then "_______" ain't gonna get it done.

redcayman
11-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Im all for drafting O line but we have sooo many other needs. Full O line, Lb, Corner, Rb and believe it or not we need a safety. With this rebuild we have to be patient. If the the new coach picks any of these players we need to support his decision. The easy part of this draft is that we have the luxury of picking daggone near anybody and they will be crucial and a need. Its funny this phenomenon is only seen with superbowl teams and with the truly woeful.

BurgundyNGold
11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Im all for drafting O line but we have sooo many other needs. Full O line, Lb, Corner, Rb and believe it or not we need a safety. With this rebuild we have to be patient. If the the new coach picks any of these players we need to support his decision. The easy part of this draft is that we have the luxury of picking daggone near anybody and they will be crucial and a need. Its funny this phenomenon is only seen with superbowl teams and with the truly woeful.
I agree. I'd even go a step further to say that the fan base knows this and will accept it, provided a legitimate management team is put together in a thoughtful manner. We're not infants, though Danny feels compelled to treat us as such. We can wait through the rebuilding process. We can stand by the team if we can see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. What Snyder has to stop doing is acting as if there's nothing wrong or that his egomaniacal whims didn't land us where we are.

lorimike
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Hire a good front office to start with. I would draft and OT in round 1 and round 2. Trade your 4th for Brady Quinn. Free agent aquisition - Derrick Johnson OLB/Ilb Chiefs. Then hope for the best. Also consider some mid-level free agent QB's Sage Rosenfels come to mind. Bottom line is we have too much to fix to get it done in one year.

lorimike
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Look at that Atanta offensive line. They were not high draft picks. Sam Baker was a low 1st. The rest is a hodge podge of former college free agents. A 2nd rounder and a 7th rounder. Until we get a front office who can evaluate talent we are doomed.

skinsfan36
11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
hire a gm
then get a new coach and new coaching staff.

then on to the players well on
offense keep samuels(if),cooley,jones(as a backup ol),dockery,maybe edwin williams if he can play center.keep thomas,mitchell,kelly,keep rock just for his heart on sts.keep davis also why not.brennan to compete in training camp.

then on defense we do have some young players to keep along with the musts
keep-fletcher(he can say when he goes/retires as far as im concerned)haynesworth,orakpo,carter(yes hes playing very well),golston,alexander,mcintosh(extend him),blades,hall,barnes,tryon(as a dime),holmes,moore,horton,jarmon.wilson(if going to 3-4)

then sign maybe 1 to 2 olinemen,maybe some young value defensive players to man 2nd cb,slb,dt.a vet qb.a few rbs that are hungry,maybe a vet(like denver did)

then you draft bradford if hes there. you have to. then maybe trade up if needed to get a left tackle to protect him. in the 4th you must take a linemen. if you can trade anyone use that pick on a linemen.keep buoilding from there

SweetBubbaT
11-09-2009, 11:37 PM
The original question assumed that a new GM and coach would be in place and making the decisions (hopefully with "The Dan" far, far, far in the background).

I feel that we start with the O Line transformation next year, then in year 2 we go top notch QB, then year 3 a top notch back.

I agree with the sentiment that this is at least a 3 year turn around ... as a fan I would love for it to be faster (and maybe a great coach speeds it up) but I want it to be built right.

Next question ... would an uncapped year change the speed of a turn-around? (Again, a new GM is a must for this dream too).

redcayman
11-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Found this article from JLC at the other unmentionable site. I thought that this might be relevant to the topic. As you can see here there is probably no help coming from free agency this year. This is why this is a multiple year rebuilding plan. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Goskins11
11-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Found this article from JLC at the other unmentionable site. I thought that this might be relevant to the topic. As you can see here there is probably no help coming from free agency this year. This is why this is a multiple year rebuilding plan. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

that was a pretty good article. I liked how they broke down every position and listed possible FA. Doesn't look like there's much out there. However, i beleive that big cuts will happen before march. I still feel that the (hopefully) new gm will need to trade down in the draft to get as many quality picks that they can. Time to start rebuilding. Start with the OL.

akhhorus
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM

I count about 12 OLinemen on that list who would represent a significant improvement on what the skins have. JLC is wrong that Orton and Campbell would be RFAs, thats only if there's no cap next year.

redcayman
11-14-2009, 11:17 AM
There's a speed bump outside that would be an Oline upgrade.

akhhorus
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
There's a speed bump outside that would be an Oline upgrade.

I agree, but its hard to say that there's no help in free agency when the skins could buy 4 new Olinemen(and btw, Rabach is a UFA, so JLC's list is wrong about that) that would be better than what they have.

shally
11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I agree, but its hard to say that there's no help in free agency when the skins could buy 4 new Olinemen(and btw, Rabach is a UFA, so JLC's list is wrong about that) that would be better than what they have.

i cannot see any way that this team would not be better off with Levi Jones, Jon Runyan, and 3 other interior O linemen culled from free agency right now

Biggie
11-14-2009, 04:29 PM
i cannot see any way that this team would not be better off with Levi Jones, Jon Runyan, and 3 other interior O linemen culled from free agency right now
The problem is that, at the end of the day, that line would have the same issue our current one had the last few years - age. It could work for one season, sure, but you need linemen in their 20s, not late 30s.

shally
11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
The problem is that, at the end of the day, that line would have the same issue our current one had the last few years - age. It could work for one season, sure, but you need linemen in their 20s, not late 30s.

you are correct.. but, i bet we could find 3 interior linemen that are better than what we have now.. at the very least, we need to start reinhart the rest of the season and make an up or down decision on whether he is worth keeping at Guard.. if he isnt, cut him and move on. but we wont find out if we dont play him.

he had some rough plays in his first quarter as a starter.. but he settled in after that.. get him out there and give him some reps

jtovb2005
11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
you are correct.. but, i bet we could find 3 interior linemen that are better than what we have now.. at the very least, we need to start reinhart the rest of the season and make an up or down decision on whether he is worth keeping at Guard.. if he isnt, cut him and move on. but we wont find out if we dont play him.

he had some rough plays in his first quarter as a starter.. but he settled in after that.. get him out there and give him some reps

Something smells of it being too late with him. It seems to me he would at least be able to start on a regular basis and not be perfect but serviceable. Him not playing this long just seems to say he is not even as good as the guys in there now, which is scary. Handwriting is on the wall with him if you ask me. Now he might be worth keeping around as a body to fill a spot that while we rebuild up there we will just need a couple of bodies, can't fill all the spots by next year.

The 2 WR's are on this list also. Somewhere along the line here they should have already been contributing much more than they have been. Unfortunately it seems they are not even the answer at 2nd WR.

shally
11-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Something smells of it being too late with him. It seems to me he would at least be able to start on a regular basis and not be perfect but serviceable. Him not playing this long just seems to say he is not even as good as the guys in there now, which is scary. Handwriting is on the wall with him if you ask me. Now he might be worth keeping around as a body to fill a spot that while we rebuild up there we will just need a couple of bodies, can't fill all the spots by next year.

The 2 WR's are on this list also. Somewhere along the line here they should have already been contributing much more than they have been. Unfortunately it seems they are not even the answer at 2nd WR.

i have NO doubt in my mind that (barring injury) both Kelly and Thomas would be far more productive on another team.. if the Niners can figure out a way to get some productivity out of Crabtree this year, we should be able to get some productivity out of our second year duo.. Thomas has been open this year, we just dont get the ball to him..Kelly, not as much, but i think the routes that are being run dont help either.. the entire offensive coaching staff is one big clusterf***

Emmanouel8
11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
my thinking is based on the assumption that we'll continue with the WCO and not change that up. he has an above-average arm, is accurate (69% completion percentage coming into this season - higher than Peyton's at Tennessee), makes quick reads, and is decisive. His downside is he plays most of his snaps from the shotgun, thus the need to sit for a year and learn how to take a snap from under center and make a 3-step or 7-step drop.

also, my scenario is based on the premise that we grab one or two of those FA linemen and then draft a lineman with our second pick. call it the Atlanta secnario if you will. Ryan at 3 and Baker at 21.

I'm personally never sold on Big School QBs that are surrounded by talent & produce overinflated stats against small schools.

Of course the first move I'd make as owner is hire a GM and let him go from there to bring in his scouts and coaches.

As GM I'd address the O-line using all of our picks toward establishing starters and depth. Dockery and Rabach are serviceable and can be held over. I'd draft a LT with the first pick and another one with the 2nd pick. Best man ends up on the leftside the other on the right. All remaining picks go to best available lineman.

There's no time for Chad Rhinehart experiments here, we draft 'em they play till they figure it out.

After a year we can see where we're at and draft either a "franchise" QB or RB. I'll take either one. We can also spot certain other areas but the main one is the O-line.

As far as QB's why not give the reigns to Collins or Colt.

RB is going to be challenging. I'd take the opportunity to in an uncapped year to unload Portis (thanks for the good years) without a doubt. Can't have a contract like that for a RB in his twilight. I'd go with a RB by committee next season.

There's definitely a lot this team needs but there's still a several pieces on defense that can be carried over. In anhy case our best shot at turning this hell around is by rebuilding the O line.

Emmanouel8
11-14-2009, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Nomad;1271059]Firing Vinny, obviously. I'd trade Moss, ARE, Portis, Fletcher, any older than 27 player I could get any reasonable value for. We are years from being a contender, rebuild young. If we ended up with a few 5ths and 4ths for these bums, we'd be doing well. Ideally, you'd draft:

QUOTE]

Who the heck is going to give up anything for ARE or Portis lol? We'd have to trade them with our picks to get rid of them.

Why would you trade Fletcher? He's one of the only players that's a legit leader and a baller, plus no GM of sound mind will give up anything more than a 5th to get him and that's even pushing it.

I wouldn't trade our only productive Recievers either. You can't go into next season expecting Kelly, Thomas, and Davis to do anything. You think its bad now with Cooley and Moss you'll be crying for them when they're gone.

The only thing of trade value we have is our 1st round pick IMO. I'd only give that up if we traded down a few spots and picked up either 2nd or 3rd. Other than that we are empty handed.

SkinsfaninNJ
11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm personally never sold on Big School QBs that are surrounded by talent & produce overinflated stats against small schools.

Of course the first move I'd make as owner is hire a GM and let him go from there to bring in his scouts and coaches.

As GM I'd address the O-line using all of our picks toward establishing starters and depth. Dockery and Rabach are serviceable and can be held over. I'd draft a LT with the first pick and another one with the 2nd pick. Best man ends up on the leftside the other on the right. All remaining picks go to best available lineman.

There's no time for Chad Rhinehart experiments here, we draft 'em they play till they figure it out.

After a year we can see where we're at and draft either a "franchise" QB or RB. I'll take either one. We can also spot certain other areas but the main one is the O-line.

As far as QB's why not give the reigns to Collins or Colt.

RB is going to be challenging. I'd take the opportunity to in an uncapped year to unload Portis (thanks for the good years) without a doubt. Can't have a contract like that for a RB in his twilight. I'd go with a RB by committee next season.

There's definitely a lot this team needs but there's still a several pieces on defense that can be carried over. In anhy case our best shot at turning this hell around is by rebuilding the O line.

I don't understand your point on the QB. Colt, maybe. But why Collins. If you are thinking Collins why not resign Campbell then since he is better?

skinsfan36
11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
off that jlc article i would welcome any of these olinemen
-gandy,hamilton,reyes,leckey,wade,amano,hochenstein ,pashos

bannan would be a great comliment to ah,theres a few lbs id take,and bodden or williams would be good cbs.robinson would be nice to get