PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Turner our new RB's coach

skin4ever
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Skins hired Bobby Turner, rb coach from Denver.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/01/13/turner-headed-to-redskins/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-broncos+(Denver+Post:+Sports:+Broncos:+Blog)

CarMike
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Excellent hire!

Next I'd like to see April join the staff.

shally
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Excellent hire!

april is looking for a chance to have a shot at being a HC eventually ... he wont get that here..
maybe someone will give him an enhanced title and extra responsibilities ???

i honestly would be surprised if he ends up here

LATrueRedskin
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Good deal. In my mind the best staff hiring we've made after Shanahan himself. I'll be giddy if we land April as ST coach.

Biggie
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
This is good news: a competent coaching staff.

Red Bear
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
nice to have turner coming in. i look forward to having an improved run game next season.

also another tidbit: CSN is reporting that were expected to keep Chris Meidt around as well.

http://www.csnwashington.com/01/13/10/Redskins-Expected-To-Announce-Chris-Meid/landing_09.html?blockID=116604&feedID=287

skins4life24
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Excellent hire!

I read a source that says he will be coming in for an interview sometime in the near future

shally
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
nice to have turner coming in. i look forward to having an improved run game next season.

also another tidbit: CSN is reporting that were expected to keep Chris Meidt around as well.

http://www.csnwashington.com/01/13/10/Redskins-Expected-To-Announce-Chris-Meid/landing_09.html?blockID=116604&feedID=287

someone should get some credit for Campbell's improvement.. could well have been Meidt's influence

whiskeytown
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
yea, hopefully that means they're not running Campbell out of town so soon.

shally
01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
yea, hopefully that means they're not running Campbell out of town so soon.

i dont think you can draw any conclusions on where Campbell fits in the team's plan just yet..... or what his plans are, for that matter..

assuming there is no cap and Campbell is a RFA, it will come down to how much interest there is in him from other teams..

whiskeytown
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
true true.
but since it sounds like he worked closely with JC, and so far is the only guy reported to be retained... kinda interesting.

shally
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
true true.
but since it sounds like he worked closely with JC, and so far is the only guy reported to be retained... kinda interesting.

young enough, and presumably bright enough to have a future as a QB coach.. besides, Kyle is going to have enough on his plate as OC and possibly play caller that it would be good to have another guy to watch the QB's

FunBunch5
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
true true.

Maybe the thought in the FO is that he got JC to be almost average, so image what he could do with a good QB. :Peace:

cal_junior
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll be giddy if we land April as ST coach.

That would be a good hire, but I'm much more concerned with O-Line coach. That's the most important position coach for this team, IMO.

shally
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
That would be a good hire, but I'm much more concerned with O-Line coach. That's the most important position coach for this team, IMO.

totally agree.. but i think the team was allowing Buges to have one more moment in the sun without making it look like he was being pushed out the door.

i bet talks with some people have been going on quietly for a while and the new hire will come quickly

cal_junior
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
sounds like he worked closely with JC, and so far is the only guy reported to be retained... kinda interesting.

I highly doubt QB coach will impact what we do with Campbell. There's a new (and highly-powerful) sheriff in town.

My guess is Shanahan spends dozens of hours looking at JC's film from the last few years and then sits down an talks with Campbell a few times. If Shanahan doesn't like what he sees/hears I think we'll go after a new QB this off-season.

Red Bear
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
young enough, and presumably bright enough to have a future as a QB coach.. besides, Kyle is going to have enough on his plate as OC and possibly play caller that it would be good to have another guy to watch the QB's

if nothing else, Meidt has been talked about as a bright young coach, very smart from what i understand. i also heard on 106.7 the fan yesterday that kyle shanny will call the plays, but havent seen it confirmed anywhere else.

i imagine we will be hearing about tight end coach and oline coach soon enough. we may end up keeping wachenheim, i think he did a good job getting fred davis up to speed when cooley went down

Moe
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
if nothing else, Meidt has been talked about as a bright young coach, very smart from what i understand. i also heard on 106.7 the fan yesterday that kyle shanny will call the plays, but havent seen it confirmed anywhere else.

Turner is a great hire and having as many guys familiar with Shanny as possible will only help this transition.

As for Meidt, this should be geat experience for him. Learning from Shanny and his crew should be invaluable.

MDBluefinCrab
01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I highly doubt QB coach will impact what we do with Campbell. There's a new (and highly-powerful) sheriff in town.

My guess is Shanahan spends dozens of hours looking at JC's film from the last few years and then sits down an talks with Campbell a few times. If Shanahan doesn't like what he sees/hears I think we'll go after a new QB this off-season.

I think he goes after a QB no matter what happens with JC. Shanny needs to build for the future and JC is not the future. Another point is that, will JC agree to stay in order for another QB to be groomed to take his place? I think not. JC wants to be a starter and I just don't think he'll settle for being a "Lame Duck" QB on a team that plans on not rebuilding around him.

shally
01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I think he goes after a QB no matter what happens with JC. Shanny needs to build for the future and JC is not the future. Another point is that, will JC agree to stay in order for another QB to be groomed to take his place? I think not. JC wants to be a starter and I just don't think he'll settle for being a "Lame Duck" QB on a team that plans on not rebuilding around him.

agree.

question is whether Campbell has other options.. we can only see how free agency plays out for him and for the team

Red Bear
01-13-2010, 04:32 PM

While going after a QB may not be a bad idea, i tend to disagree with some of the other stuff you say. Even though he isnt great and may never be, having a veteran QB in Campbell around to run a hopefully young and fiery team for another year or two may not be a bad thing. And who knows maybe he becomes a probowler under shanny during that process. Also, whether Campbell wants to be here or not, it may not be his choice, unless he just doesnt want to play anymore at all or if he signs a poison pill deal(anyone wonder if snyder would match a poison pill deal just to make news?). If Campbell is restricted he will most certainly be tendered, and it will be easier to retain his rights. if the CBA is extended and he is unrestricted, then we will let him walk and get a nice supplemental draft pick for him because i doubt we would franchise tag him.

cal_junior
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM

How he goes after one will be interesting. On one end of the spectrum there is using the fourth pick on Sam Bradford, while on the other there is signing a vet FA you know will only be here a year or two.

Geordieskin
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM

+1 - Campbell will only ever be an ordinary QB. Not bad but lacking the greatness quality. The line has let him down badly but true greats can always produce a play - I can't think of one when we needed it.

HTTR

firehawk157
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Preach the good word son!

JoeJacksonTaylor28
01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
totally agree.. but i think the team was allowing Buges to have one more moment in the sun without making it look like he was being pushed out the door.

i bet talks with some people have been going on quietly for a while and the new hire will come quickly

The thing that I don't understand is why didn't we sign Alex Gibbs. If I read correctly, he is the new OL coach in Seattle. Is there anyone more capable of teaching zone blocking under Shanahan?

shally
01-14-2010, 01:15 AM
The thing that I don't understand is why didn't we sign Alex Gibbs. If I read correctly, he is the new OL coach in Seattle. Is there anyone more capable of teaching zone blocking under Shanahan?

real simple..Gibbs was hired as OffensiveCoordinator for Seattle- not O line coach.. he wasnt going to get that job here because it went to Kyle Shanahan

second, there is the matter of age..Gibbs is about the same age as Buges.. he was born in 1941, so that makes him 68 or 69.. you really want your O line coach to be that old ?

so, i doubt there is anyone who knows much more of zone blocking schemes that Gibbs, but that doesnt mean we cant get one of his younger assistants ?

personally i would love to get Bruce Matthews.. he has only been a line coach for a couple of years, but you think anyone knows more about line play than him ? or i wouldnt mind the team interviewing Ray Brown to see what he has to say..

JoeJacksonTaylor28
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
real simple..Gibbs was hired as OffensiveCoordinator for Seattle- not O line coach.. he wasnt going to get that job here because it went to Kyle Shanahan

second, there is the matter of age..Gibbs is about the same age as Buges.. he was born in 1941, so that makes him 68 or 69.. you really want your O line coach to be that old ?

so, i doubt there is anyone who knows much more of zone blocking schemes that Gibbs, but that doesnt mean we cant get one of his younger assistants ?

personally i would love to get Bruce Matthews.. he has only been a line coach for a couple of years, but you think anyone knows more about line play than him ? or i wouldnt mind the team interviewing Ray Brown to see what he has to say..

If that's true, NFL Network fumbled the ball because they reported him as an OL coach. That's reassuring... I would love to have Matthews.... plus, if I remember correctly, he played all 5 positions throughout his career.

JoeJacksonTaylor28
01-14-2010, 01:21 AM

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_gibbs.html

"I know I am going to be coaching the offensive line for Seattle," Gibbs told KRIV-TV in Houston. "Other than that I don't know anything else. If I'm the assistant head coach fine. If I'm not, fine. I know I am going to coach the offensive line."

USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates is also coming with Carroll to Seattle, presumably to fill the same role with the Seahawks

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4819300&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Gibbs would oversee Seattle's offensive line zone run-block system that will be compatible with the scheme that will be coordinated by Jeremy Bates

shally
01-14-2010, 01:26 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_gibbs.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4819300&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

thanks.. but still think Gibbs is to be OC when all is settled..

Moe
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM

While a lateral move and likely unrealistic, I'd be intrested in Mike Munchak, the o-line coach at Tennessee.

His bio:
Munchak has become one of the most respected offensive line coaches in the NFL for his ability to teach and produce technically sound offensive lines despite annual changes to his positional group. Since becoming offensive line coach in 1997, he has only once (and potentially this season) had the same starting five offensive linemen from one year to the next. During his tenure with the team, four different offensive linemen have earned a total of nine Pro Bowl invitations, including Michael Roos and Kevin Mawae last season.

Redskin4Life
01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Where's Bruce Matthews at right now? Is he on one of the playoff teams? I've got a feeling we're waiting for an OLine coach from one of those teams but I'm not sure who we're targeting...

shally
01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Where's Bruce Matthews at right now? Is he on one of the playoff teams? I've got a feeling we're waiting for an OLine coach from one of those teams but I'm not sure who we're targeting...

OL Assitant with Houston Texans..

we cannot rob all their coaches and they have another OL assitant, Pollack