PDA

View Full Version : Chad Clifton to visit Redskins

joethefan
03-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Let the teeth-gnashing and Ted Thompson-bashing in Green Bay begin.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! says the Redskins! will host Chad Clifton! for a free agent visit! (We've officially entered the punchy portion of the evening.)

Clifton is reportedly looking for $7 million-per-season, and the Packers are only offering $5 million-per-year. He's 33 years old, but easily the best pass protector on the market.

The Redskins are looking to replace Chris Samuels and may be the only team as desperate for tackle help as the Packers. Plus, they are already overdue to make a free agency splash.

In other words, that teeth gnashing is justified.

Here's the link

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chad-clifton-to-visit-redskins/

Arkangiest
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Let the teeth-gnashing and Ted Thompson-bashing in Green Bay begin.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! says the Redskins! will host Chad Clifton! for a free agent visit! (We've officially entered the punchy portion of the evening.)

Clifton is reportedly looking for $7 million-per-season, and the Packers are only offering $5 million-per-year. He's 33 years old, but easily the best pass protector on the market.

The Redskins are looking to replace Chris Samuels and may be the only team as desperate for tackle help as the Packers. Plus, they are already overdue to make a free agency splash.

In other words, that teeth gnashing is justified.

Here's the link

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chad-clifton-to-visit-redskins/

I like it! UPGRADE!

Nomad
03-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Tough to imagine paying him AND drafting a LT #4.
This hopefully means Bradford.
Presumably 1 year stop gap while 2nd round T groomed or one drafted next year.

Jvon91
03-05-2010, 02:28 AM
whichever way we go with the draft.. it just feels good having a real gm and hc that are smart enuff to identify our oline troubles

joethefan
03-05-2010, 02:50 AM
whichever way we go with the draft.. it just feels good having a real gm and hc that are smart enuff to identify our oline troubles

IMO i still feel we should draft a OT even if we sign Clifton..

Jvon91
03-05-2010, 02:55 AM
I agree.. but if we sign him we now dont have to use a 1st on a LT.. we could get one in the 2nd

Skinzlover223
03-05-2010, 02:59 AM
I agree.. but if we sign him we now dont have to use a 1st on a LT.. we could get one in the 2nd

I agree.

joethefan
03-05-2010, 03:08 AM

I do hope we do draft a LT at some point. Hopefully with the second..

greatest2
03-05-2010, 03:12 AM
this one signing does not fill 5 spots on the line and depth.

Currently, with this signing, our 5 would be...Clifton-dockery-casey-mike williams-stephon heyer.

Im sorry, but that doesn't work for me. We need at least a starting guard and someone that is atleast as comparable to heyer.

If you figure they draft someone high in round 2 (OT). i would play them right away at the right tackle. next year move them to left, and clifton to right.

Either way you figure it we need at least 1 more signing on the oline, plus depth. good start, but its not even close to finish (unless they use round 1 and 2 on oline! thats what im hoping for).

EDIT: what we really need, is for someone to fall in love with a player (bradford, okung, anyone) and trade up to 4 to get him. Take there 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, grab oline and possibly a DB/RB/34 DE with one of those picks.

flave1969
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Didn't the GB line suck last year. Clifton gave up 4 Sacks, 4 QB Hits and 15 pressures in 12 games which isn't horrible compared to what we have but not worth $7 mill a year surely. Plus he is 33, seems to me we are likely to see a re-dux of the over the hill gang on our line this year.

That is better than the never was gang, but it smacks of short termism.

greatest2
03-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Didn't the GB line suck last year. Clifton gave up 4 Sacks, 4 QB Hits and 15 pressures in 12 games which isn't horrible compared to what we have but not worth $7 mill a year surely. Plus he is 33, seems to me we are likely to see a re-dux of the over the hill gang on our line this year.

thats exactly what it is. Try to build a adequate line so we don't get our QB and RB killed, and build for a better line in the future.

Thats why casey was signed to a 3 year deal, and thats why clifton will sign a 3 year, or at the very maximum a 4 year deal (with that 4th year being a abnoxious amount that we would have to cut after the 3rd).

THey know we can't rebuild with 1 offseason and with so many other holes. They are trying to buy time, while the work to rebuild. A strategy i think everyone here is ok with.

Grab some vets, some depth, draft some pups and start the rebuild process. but while rebuilding, there is no sense it getting the qb of the future / rb of the future killed in year 1 or two.

just some folks to hold the fort down till reinforments arrive (a few this year, and few next year, and we are there, as far as the oline is concerned)

joethefan
03-05-2010, 04:48 AM

The only problem is he's the best on the board right now, we don't have a choice.

flave1969
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
The only problem is he's the best on the board right now, we don't have a choice.

Oh I dont have a problem per se as long as we do get some young blood in this year.

whiskeytown
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
this one signing does not fill 5 spots on the line and depth.

Currently, with this signing, our 5 would be...Clifton-dockery-casey-mike williams-stephon heyer.

Im sorry, but that doesn't work for me. We need at least a starting guard and someone that is atleast as comparable to heyer.

hang tight and be patient. you posted this just 4 hours into the free agency season.

Goskins11
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
IMO i still feel we should draft a OT even if we sign Clifton..

+1...absolutely. he's 33 too so he wont be around real long. i would say maybe a 1 or 2 year contract?

shally
03-05-2010, 07:28 AM

well, we do have a choice, but there are not a lot of good options out there..Clifton is the best LT who is free.. we could look at Trueblood, or one of the other RFA's-- and we still might. but getting Clifton would give us more flexibility going into the draft. it doesnt preclude us from taking Okung, or anyone else

cal_junior
03-05-2010, 07:31 AM
well, we do have a choice, but there are not a lot of good options out there..Clifton is the best LT who is free.. we could look at Trueblood, or one of the other RFA's-- and we still might. but getting Clifton would give us more flexibility going into the draft. it doesnt preclude us from taking Okung, or anyone else

I think if the Skins pay Clifton $6-7 million a year you will definitely not see them draft a tackle, at least not in the first 4 rounds.

shally
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
I think if the Skins pay Clifton $6-7 million a year you will definitely not see them draft a tackle, at least not in the first 4 rounds.

we will take a guy in the 4-5 round, for sure.. and we still have the issue of Right Tackle to deal with..Heyer might make the roster, but he shouldnt be starting in any case.

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Wait, are we talking about this guy? Because he doesn't deserve $7M/year.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3KIJt17keOY/SX-cISakEJI/AAAAAAAABZE/ZBarW2LmL14/s400/Tony+Clifton.jpg

:D

flave1969
03-05-2010, 07:36 AM

We still have a massive hole at RT, and we need to get the run game going.

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
We still have a massive hole at RT, and we need to get the run game going.
Exactly. If they got a solid RT in the 2nd, they could mask a lot of those interior issues. Well, theoretically. If Rabach keeps making spotty protection calls and adjustments, it won't matter much who the team signs.

cal_junior
03-05-2010, 07:43 AM
we will take a guy in the 4-5 round, for sure.. and we still have the issue of Right Tackle to deal with..Heyer might make the roster, but he shouldnt be starting in any case.

You're probably right. But it does mean Skins are going QB or defense with pick No. 1

warpaint
03-05-2010, 07:46 AM

per what i have read clifton is better at protecting the q.b,than he is at blocking for the run, i really hope we get bradford with the 4th pick,but if we dont would love to get okung , dont think there would be any reason okung couldnt play right tackle for at least a year.

cal_junior
03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
but if we dont would love to get okung , dont think there would be any reason okung couldnt play right tackle for at least a year.

The problem is nobody seems convinced he's worth top-5 money or that he's the best tackle in the draft.

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Can any of the top OTs on the draft board play RT?

Either way, I think this means the Skins are going to try and trade up for Bradford. You can see the puzzle pieces falling into place, and the big hole is now franchise QB.

fent
03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Can any of the top OTs on the draft board play RT?

Either way, I think this means the Skins are going to try and trade up for Bradford. You can see the puzzle pieces falling into place, and the big hole is now franchise QB.

If we trade up, it will likely have to be to 1 overall, and that would take a load. The Lions don't appear to be ready to trade down from 2, so the 3rd slot would be our only concern (assuming Suh to the Rams at 1), and that only if the bucs don't fall in love with a player.

shally
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
You're probably right. But it does mean Skins are going QB or defense with pick No. 1

it would allow us to take the Best Player available, if we cant trade down.. we could end up with a player like Berry, or even McClain if we sign Rabach, Clifton and Weigman

shally
03-05-2010, 09:05 AM
The problem is nobody seems convinced he's worth top-5 money or that he's the best tackle in the draft.

i would prefer Bulaga since i think he is going to be the better overall player.. he would be ideal to start at RT for a year or two and then slide over to take Clifton's spot at LT..

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
I just posted in the other thread that Tony Pashos is coming to visit Redskins Park. Interesting to see how things pan out...

shally
03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I just posted in the other thread that Tony Pashos is coming to visit Redskins Park. Interesting to see how things pan out...

Clifton==Dockery==Rabach/Weigman=Weigmann/Lichtensteiger/Reinhart????==Pashos

not exactly a line to strike fear in your opponents, but still, light years better at protecting the QB than what we just had starting

Jvon91
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I say even if we dont get a oline piece with the first two picks.. (which I believe to be highly unlikely) whats wrong with resigning levi jones and sliding him over to rt? he played OK last year! I know this wont make our line any younger.. but this gives us a base to build on.. [clifton-doc-rabach-wiegmann-jones]

LATrueRedskin
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Clifton==Dockery==Rabach/Weigman=Weigmann/Lichtensteiger/Reinhart????==Pashos

not exactly a line to strike fear in your opponents, but still, light years better at protecting the QB than what we just had starting

I'd still like for us to draft lineman, or else we'll face the same problem last year with old lineman and injuries. It would be nice to restock with vets through FA, then supplement with young guys in reserve.

shally
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I'd still like for us to draft lineman, or else we'll face the same problem last year with old lineman and injuries. It would be nice to restock with vets through FA, then supplement with young guys in reserve.

there are NO other valid options right now.. we need a quick patch to get the O line up and running, but, without a doubt, we will start to rebuild with younger linemen this draft..

Patrick
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Is it just me or has anyone one else notice that the OL is NOT getting any younger. I might be the only one on this board but Im not impressed with the direction the Skins are going with the OL. There again I'm probably the only one who feels this line needs to built mostly through the drafts which makes a more than a one season project.

Moe
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Is it just me or has anyone one else notice that the OL is NOT getting any younger. I might be the only one on this board but Im not impressed with the direction the Skins are going with the OL. There again I'm probably the only one who feels this line needs to built mostly through the drafts which makes a more than a one season project.

Good, young o-linemen aren't made available in free agency, so you take what you can get. The cupboard here has been bare and needed fresh blood, even if it's well aged. With a paucity of picks this year, you fix what you can in part to upgrade and in part to buy time until you can find those young guys to draft.

shally
03-05-2010, 09:24 AM

you are absolutely correct..BUT there are simply NO offensive linemen out there who are UFA's worth starting right now..we need a patch for the O line while we draft younger guys to start in a year or two

this also might hint that Shanahan expects to start a young QB later in the year.. you cant do that unless your O line is very settled and stable

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
First off...Clifton, Pashos and Wiegmann are not official yet. Maybe the plan is to get 2 of 3 and regroup.

Secondly...lets wait until these contract numbers come in. could be getting some value since most are towards the end of their career.

Patrick
03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Good, young o-linemen aren't made available in free agency, so you take what you can get. The cupboard here has been bare and needed fresh blood, even if it's well aged. With a paucity of picks this year, you fix what you can in part to upgrade and in part to buy time until you can find those young guys to draft. Please note that Randy Thomas was the only establish OL the Skins let go yesterday. Heyers, Williams, Jones, Raybach seem to be in the plans also - at least being able to have a chance to earn a job.

fent
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Please note that Randy Thomas was the only establish OL the Skins let go yesterday. Heyers, Williams, Jones, Raybach seem to be in the plans also - at least being able to have a chance to earn a job.

Jones is a FA, Heyer hasn't signed his tender (that I'm aware of at least) and even if he does, we're going to need bodies in camp/pre-season. If Pashos signs and we go with a 2nd round OT, I'd be very surprised to see Heyer still on the team on opening day.

Skinz4lyfe
03-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree w/the sentiment that a clifton signing would put us in position to be more flexible in the draft but no doubt that won't be the only lineman upgrade. As has been stated earlier, we simply have way too many holes and not enough available draft picks or free agents available to upgrade this roster with young talent. The lack of a bargaining agreement has been a double edged sword. It has allowed us to trim dead weight off the roster by eliminating the cap penalties. However, the # of available free agents were significantly reduced. At this point we're addressing needs in however way we can.

Moe
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Please note that Randy Thomas was the only establish OL the Skins let go yesterday. Heyers, Williams, Jones, Raybach seem to be in the plans also - at least being able to have a chance to earn a job.

Bodies will be shuffling in and out. We're 10 hours into free agency, a month from the draft and 6 months from the season. I realize we're used to this team jumping out of the blocks this time of year like Usain Bolt on a Red Bull and meth bender, but let's let a lot of dust settle before declaring these moves as inadequate.

skin4ever
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with most posters about the fact that these guys if signed are merely stop gaps, as the market of UFA are older vets. We probably will address Oline through the draft and maybe even trade for some. I think some of these guys may only be here for one year and then cut before next season as it will be an uncapped season. Allowing us to re-address the Oline with this years crop of young guys and next seasons too. We knew we couldnt just reinvent the line, but if these guys fit our system we should be okay. knock on wood.

Hr fan
03-05-2010, 10:21 AM
OL is typically 9-10 roster spots. What we had last year as starters were not NFL caliber at minimum, and the reserves were worse. This is not a 1 year rebuild. If it takes 2-3 years we need older vets to hold the fort and to mentor ala Samuels. What the moves suggest is that Shanallehan realizes that we need to move out of the 3rd sub-basement, and if all moves were to occur we would be on the 2nd floor. Our next several drafts will determine over time whether we reach the penthouse or not.

But what impresses me most is danny appears to be controlled. The moves make sense instead of press releases and jersey sales.

shally
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
OL is typically 9-10 roster spots. What we had last year as starters were not NFL caliber at minimum, and the reserves were worse. This is not a 1 year rebuild. If it takes 2-3 years we need older vets to hold the fort and to mentor ala Samuels. What the moves suggest is that Shanallehan realizes that we need to move out of the 3rd sub-basement, and if all moves were to occur we would be on the 2nd floor. Our next several drafts will determine over time whether we reach the penthouse or not.

But what impresses me most is danny appears to be controlled. The moves make sense instead of press releases and jersey sales.

+1

if anything, this is graphic evidence of exactly who is running the personnel department/front office as of now.. it simply isnt Snyder any more.. i would expect this will carry over to the draft as well.. we might end up drafting Bradford, or even Clausen, but if so it is because our football people, and not our owner, has decided he is the best player for our team

cal_junior
03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
we need a patch for the O line while we draft younger guys to start in a year or two

This was my thinking. Get some guys who can buy you a few years as the team gets younger over the '10 and '11 drafts.

I think this means the Skins are taking Bradford first, followed by offensive linemen in the later rounds.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
If we sign him, he better stay healthy. I don't need to be pulling out anymore hair over an unhealthy starting left tackle every Sunday.

akhhorus
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I think Heyer should google "musical chairs" lol

silverspring
03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Are the options that thin? The best olineman we can find is 33 and on a team that actually allowed more sacks than the redskins? Not too mention we resigned a 32 year old that has been on a downward spiral from two seasons straight. Talk about bandaids.

Dolla Bill
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
If you think we would have to trade up to #1, what ammunition do we have? Could we just trade the #4 and possibly the rights to JC to St. Louis?

DaveKShape
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
If you think we would have to trade up to #1, what ammunition do we have? Could we just trade the #4 and possibly the rights to JC to St. Louis?

that scenario entered my mind. JC and #4 for the 1.

akhhorus
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
From Rick Maese:

Source feels strongly Chad Clifton is solely visiting the #Redskins to drive up the #Packers price, no real interest.

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
From Rick Maese:

I just saw that as well. hmmmm..

akhhorus
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Next one from Maese:

RT @Greg_A_Bedard I have no idea if there's anything to that report on Redskins just being a prop for Clifton. Doesn't seem like him IMO.

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM

And pashos is supposedly visiting with Denver after us, unfortunately I think because of our past history a lot of players might use our visit as nothing more than a bargaining chip. Especially since Allen says we arent likely to offer many contracts during players intial visits. If we're not careful the signings of BMW and Rabach may be our only substantial "additions" to our OL.

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Link (http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard)

From Packers beat reporter:

Well, if Clifton is putting on a song and dance, he's sure going all out. 2 sources tell me he's in Northern Virginia.

Makes sense that he would want to look for houses on the nice side of the Potomac. ;)

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Link (http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard)

From Packers beat reporter:

Makes sense that he would want to look for houses on the nice side of the Potomac. ;)

From Maese:

BTW, confirmed that Clifton and Pashos were both at Redskins Park today. It's believed both left without contracts. Could still happen later

I imagine Cliffton and Pashos will both sign elsewhere, probably GB and Denver...this reseved approach may come back to bite us in the rear because after these two guys I dont see much else thats comparable in the UFA OT market.

This was his next tweet :

We dont think anyone else came through today. Skins clearly being deliberate and methodical in its approach to free agency this year

Lavar703
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
From Maese:

I imagine Cliffton and Pashos will both sign elsewhere, probably GB and Denver...this reseved approach may come back to bite us in the rear because after these two guys I dont see much else thats comparable in the UFA OT market.

I don't really care for the approach there taking either. It would be a different story if we had a lot of draft choices, but we only have 5 and they have created more needs with the cuts they made yesterday, although they were moves that needed to be made. Its completely unbelieveable that there bringing back guys like Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer and Phillip Daniels but are passing on guys like Ryan Clark, Pashos and Clifton who would obviously fill needs. Not to mention the switch to 3-4 has created a need for atleast one more LB, Im not very happy with this right now.

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't really care for the approach there taking either. It would be a different story if we had a lot of draft choices, but we only have 5 and they have created more needs with the cuts they made yesterday, although they were moves that needed to be made. Its completely unbelieveable that there bringing back guys like Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer and Phillip Daniels but are passing on guys like Ryan Clark, Pashos and Clifton who would obviously fill needs. Not to mention the switch to 3-4 has created a need for atleast one more LB, Im not very happy with this right now.

This may be the first time ever that we are in 100% agreeance Lavar lol.

lorimike
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Are the options that thin? The best olineman we can find is 33 and on a team that actually allowed more sacks than the redskins? Not too mention we resigned a 32 year old that has been on a downward spiral from two seasons straight. Talk about bandaids.

On the offensive line the pickings are very slim. Beyone Peppers, Rolle, and Dansby, & Robinson the free agents available( ones that require no draft pick compensation) are just a hodge podge of aging average players

shally
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
this is entirely different from Vinny's level of competence.. if Allen and Shanahan want to take their time and not break the bank for guys like Pashos and Clifton, i am all for it..

the reason they are available in the first place is because they are no longer top tier talent.. there will be other guys out there as teams assess their needs and release other players

we may eventually sign them anyway, but for now we just need to keep checking out what is available

bigcmr
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Seems to me that a lot of fans are not use to our FO not jumping into things. Like they use to.

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
this is entirely different from Vinny's level of competence.. if Allen and Shanahan want to take their time and not break the bank for guys like Pashos and Clifton, i am all for it..

the reason they are available in the first place is because they are no longer top tier talent.. there will be other guys out there as teams assess their needs and release other players

we may eventually sign them anyway, but for now we just need to keep checking out what is available

I'm not against a more prudent approach nor am I upset with the FO change is philosophy...it's just there are limited UFA options and we have limited draft picks. It's true that players could become available after more cuts or we could try to trade for RFA's but each of those are risky and costly options. I dont want us to spend foolishly but I would expect us to offer closer to the asking price than the 49ers and Packers did in regard to these two players. I dont think offering Cliffton 6ish per season would be ludicrus after GB offered 5. But hey I'm not the most patient person on the planet lol...amd we've been burnt before thinking we'd address certain holes later in the offseason just to find out the FO thought the competetion they had signed for those spots was adequate ;)

Then again perhaps Cliffton really doesnt plan on playing anywhere except GB...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/86679677.html

Red Bear
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/packers-keep-clifton/

just like was reported on 106.7 earlier, clifton was using the skins for leverage to get what he wanted from the packers, apparently it worked for him. 3 years 20 million 7.5 guaranteed

akhhorus
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Clifton resigns with the Pack: 3/20 million.

shally
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
on to plan B, whoever that is...

Lavar703
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
on to plan B, whoever that is...

Unfortunately I dont see there being a plan B, unless we draft Okung or Bulaga.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I am willing to give the new regime more than the first day of the new year to judge their plan.

WinnpegSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Clifton resigns with the Pack: 3/20 million.
Fine by me. Let the Pack overpay for him. I would much rather the Skins draft a young LT anyway. Pashos @ RT on a short deal would OK.
I much prefer the cautious approach by Shanny/Allen vs. the previous Danny/Vinny "throw money at the problem" approach.

GenMgr
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
On to Pashos!

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
On to Pashos!

Really because I think that the same thing will happen with Pashos...and he'll end up in Denver or SF. Again not against being cautious but there aernt many OL options out there and we dont have many picks to help fill all these holes.

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Really because I think that the same thing will happen with Pashos...and he'll end up in Denver or SF. Again not against being cautious but there aernt many OL options out there and we dont have many picks to help fill all these holes.

Thanks to GB for saving us from ourselves.

I don't think Pashos and Clifton were being considered for the same position, I think they were interviewing them for RT and LT respectively and if the team could have, for the money they wanted to spend, probably would have signed both.

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
We probably should have entertained a visit from Tony Clifton. It would have been more fruitful. And possible more entertaining.

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:43 PM
We probably should have entertained a visit from Tony Clifton. It would have been more fruitful. And possible more entertaining.

Definately entertaining.....

NCskinsfanatic
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks to GB for saving us from ourselves.

I don't think Pashos and Clifton were being considered for the same position, I think they were interviewing them for RT and LT respectively and if the team could have, for the money they wanted to spend, probably would have signed both.

Oh I agree, I think Clifton would have filled the void at LT and Pashos at RT. However I also think we could have afforded and probably need both of these guys judging by the lack of UFA options. IMO the best we can probably hope for (without acquiring more picks) is to fill one of the starting OL spots through the draft...maybe 2.

However right now we need a QB, ILB, LT, RT, RG, NT, DE, KR, RB, a FS and some depth. I wouldnt expect to find more than 3 starters with our draft picks so that leaves a lot that needs to be done and limited FA's from which to choose.

IowaSkinsFan
03-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Oh I agree, I think Clifton would have filled the void at LT and Pashos at RT. However I also think we could have afforded and probably need both of these guys judging by the lack of UFA options. IMO the best we can probably hope for (without acquiring more picks) is to fill one of the starting OL spots through the draft...maybe 2.

However right now we need a QB, ILB, LT, RT, RG, NT, DE, KR, RB, a FS and some depth. I wouldnt expect to find more than 3 starters with our draft picks so that leaves a lot that needs to be done and limited FA's from which to choose.

This roster was so devoid of depth at so many positions that it has finally caved in. We can turn the roster over in one year, but we can't rebuild it in one year. This is going to take some time. If you get 2 starters out of this draft it will be successful.