PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams is re-signed

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Link (http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Free_Agency_Monitor_Promotion_32406.jsp)

Mike Williams is re-signed. Looks like they are keeping a lot of options open on the O-line. Of course, we all hope he is being signed as a G and not a T. lol

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
:lol1:

It's crazytime out there in Ashburn.

SkinsGuru
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
was definately better at guard, but i would have preferred we just stayed away from the big guy all together

Campbell2Moss13
03-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I like this signing for depth and maybe compete for the starting RG position. I think a major problem the Redskins had last year was Depth along the Oline. It looks like Shanny and Allen are addressing depth and possible some competion along the line.

dj_stouty
03-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I wonder what the contract looks like. I could see a scenario pan out where he shows up to camp fat and happy and he doesn't see the field in B&G ever again...

SkinsGuru
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I wonder what the contract looks like. I could see a scenario pan out where he shows up to camp fat and happy and he doesn't see the field in B&G ever again...

i agree . . . might just be for camp competition and then cut . . . maybe he lost another hundred pounds and he is gonna be an ILB . . . LOL

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
If you went down to the police station and asked the sketch artist there to draw you a picture based on the description of the exact opposite of what a successful offensive lineman in Shanny's offense looked like, it would come out looking precisely like Mike Williams.

DaveKShape
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
i can't say i like it - but it might not hurt to have him as a reserve.

silverspring
03-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Another underwhelming signing, i see this move as just getting another body to compete. The fact that he was starting nfl games last year was impressive in itself. He was as competitive at right guard as anyone else we had , but that isn't saying much. Maybe he will get good and then we can one day watch a pbs melodramatic movie about him overcoming his weight issues and becoming a star :)

SkinsGuru
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Shanny on Mike Williams:

On Williams: "Mike showed a tremendous work ethic and willingness to do whatever the team asked of him, and those are two of the traits we're looking for in Redskins players. We believe that he's only scratched the surface of his abilities so far, and look forward to seeing what he can do after a full offseason in our program."

Source (Redskins Insider): (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/free-agency/shanahan-on-alexander-daniels.html#more)

CNYSkinFan
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
In related news the hot dog vendors at Fed Ex just got a little happier

RedskinsDave
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
3 of the 5 pieces from the Line of Awesome are coming back. Incredible.

shally
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Shanny on Mike Williams:

Source (Redskins Insider): (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/free-agency/shanahan-on-alexander-daniels.html#more)

now, that is a stunner.. not his work ethic, but that they feel he has potential to be better ??

shally
03-05-2010, 01:11 PM

better coaching and better schemes might make a huge difference..AND there is no guarantee that ANY of these guys make the final roster

tuckahoeskin
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM

They're on a mission from God.

Hr fan
03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
If you went down to the police station and asked the sketch artist there to draw you a picture based on the description of the exact opposite of what a successful offensive lineman in Shanny's offense looked like, it would come out looking precisely like Mike Williams.

My thoughts exactly. Not the smaller more agile type, is he?

Nomad
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
You can't lose the kind of weight he did as fast as he did and retain pro-athlete strength. A year later if he's continued training it could be a much different story. We have NOTHING at OL and are signing guys almost 40. This guy had good talent, and if in shape could compete for starting RG position. At the right price, as back-up G, we could do worse. With Sproles gone, we have to draft one RB now, and presumably one QB somewhere, that leaves 3 picks for OL, assuming some aren't used on 3-4 D personnel. I love what Shanny and Allen are doing. Filling 10 - 20 roster spots isn't easy!

Nomad
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
now, that is a stunner.. not his work ethic, but that they feel he has potential to be better ??

He was talented, before he let himself go. Maybe not elite, but at the right price, with a conditioning base and target weight already established, as a back-up G/T in this limited market, we could do much worse. And yes, that was a run on sentence.

Redskinmayhem
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
good move if it's for depth/just in case but I hope he's not the primary option there in September.

saviour
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM

LMAO

saviour
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
better coaching and better schemes might make a huge difference..AND there is no guarantee that ANY of these guys make the final roster

We said the same thing last year about Reed Doughty and he wound up starting for us. Hopefully, the new regime isn't as complacent as the last because this definately looks like a Vinny move.

I'm guessing this speaks volumes about the line talent available in free agency.

Keino
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM

They're on a mission from God.

That is hilarious!

and Sad!

shally
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
We said the same thing last year about Reed Doughty and he wound up starting for us. Hopefully, the new regime isn't as complacent as the last because this definately looks like a Vinny move.

I'm guessing this speaks volumes about the line talent available in free agency.

if we sign Pashos, Wiegmann, Mawae, and/or Clifton that will represent a major increase in talent level over last year.. those other guys likely wont even see the field

saratogan
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Shanahan stated several times his philosphies. One, bring in competition. Two, he wants players who are dedicated to their profession as shown in their work ethic. Three, he wants a positive attitude displayed on and off the field.

Mike Williams fits into that philosophy. Big Mike overcame alot: Losing more weight than people normally lose in lifetime, re-adjusting to pro-football regime, learning and playing several positions, and an injury.

With our line in its current status, re-signing him is an inexpensive option for the Redskins. There is no guarantee that he will start or make the team. He is guaranteed a chance to prove he is capable of playing. I do not see any negatives in this move.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
if we sign Pashos, Wiegmann, Mawae, and/or Clifton that will represent a major increase in talent level over last year.. those other guys likely wont even see the field

Good point. I am ok with some of these guys for depth or even a spot start. I think Rabach could be a valuable back-up C/G. Mike Williams did enough last year to have a roster spot as a back-up. Heyer on the other hand has no place in the league.

VegasSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
MW does have a college connection with Kyle Shanahan and maybe he did show enough potential for a chance. I assume as others that it is for a G position, and maybe with his size for goalline or MS's heavy jumbo set...whatever that might be. GO SKINS !!!!

Red Bear
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

while im not disagreeing with this, based on olines of shannys past in denver. if you'll recall, one of the first things shanny said when he arrived here about his olines in denver about being smaller than typical was that big guys wore down quicker up there in the thin air at mile high. i guess people can take that for what its worth, just thought id throw it out there

bigcmr
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Shanahan stated several times his philosphies. One, bring in competition. Two, he wants players who are dedicated to their profession as shown in their work ethic. Three, he wants a positive attitude displayed on and off the field.

Mike Williams fits into that philosophy. Big Mike overcame alot: Losing more weight than people normally lose in lifetime, re-adjusting to pro-football regime, learning and playing several positions, and an injury.

With our line in its current status, re-signing him is an inexpensive option for the Redskins. There is no guarantee that he will start or make the team. He is guaranteed a chance to prove he is capable of playing. I do not see any negatives in this move.

I agree 100%

colkurtz
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
He's cheap. He has a good work ethic. He brings some competition into a bunch of draft picks, FA, UDFA they'll bring into the OL. If he sux they cut him. They won't have the amateur, buffon, lovefest like it was under Vinny.

All they're doing is giving him a shot. What's wrong with that?

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Link (http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Free_Agency_Monitor_Promotion_32406.jsp)

Mike Williams is re-signed. Looks like they are keeping a lot of options open on the O-line. Of course, we all hope he is being signed as a G and not a T. lol

His OT days are behind him, but I heard on ESPN980 (I know, Snyder owned) that he played fairly well at guard and they think with more tutelage and an entire offseason focused on that position, rather than just losing weight, that he can be an effective guard.

I think they are looking at what Leonard Davis, another Texas alum, did in Dallass and what Dockery (another Texas alum) did in DC. Texas OT's, for some reason, perform better when they kick inside at the NFL level.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
His OT days are behind him, but I heard on ESPN980 (I know, Snyder owned) that he played fairly well at guard and they think with more tutelage and an entire offseason focused on that position, rather than just losing weight, that he can be an effective guard.

I think they are looking at what Leonard Davis, another Texas alum, did in Dallass and what Dockery (another Texas alum) did in DC. Texas OT's, for some reason, perform better when they kick inside at the NFL level.

So there is a chance MW could be our starting RG on opening day? That should work great.:smash:

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:13 PM
So there is a chance MW could be our starting RG on opening day? That should work great.:smash:

Always a chance, but I would be more worried about the tackles. This line needs to be rebuilt from the outside in.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Always a chance, but I would be more worried about the tackles. This line needs to be rebuilt from the outside in.

Tackles are important, but the inside combination of Dockery, Rabach and Williams was awful last year. Coaching alone isn't going to make that much of a difference.

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Tackles are important, but the inside combination of Dockery, Rabach and Williams was awful last year. Coaching alone isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Williams was only in at guard 3 or 4 games and those were the first of his career. The best play we got at guard was when Williams was in there, better than Thomas, Montgomery, Williams and Rinehart.

Playcalling, scheme, all of it has to work together and to say that we had all components meshing perfectly and that the 4-12 record was a by product of solely bad play misses the point entirely. If it was just bad players and coaching doesn't matter, why is Zorn gone and MS in?

Coaching must matter.

SkinsfaninNJ
03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Williams was only in at guard 3 or 4 games and those were the first of his career. The best play we got at guard was when Williams was in there, better than Thomas, Montgomery, Williams and Rinehart.

Playcalling, scheme, all of it has to work together and to say that we had all components meshing perfectly and that the 4-12 record was a by product of solely bad play misses the point entirely. If it was just bad players and coaching doesn't matter, why is Zorn gone and MS in?

Coaching must matter.

Coaching matters, but it cannot be debated we had the worst oline in the league last year. So you are ok with 60% of it coming back. I have a hard time believing we cannot upgrade on either MW or Rabach.

IowaSkinsFan
03-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Coaching matters, but it cannot be debated we had the worst oline in the league last year. So you are ok with 60% of it coming back. I have a hard time believing we cannot upgrade on either MW or Rabach.

Who in FA right now would you like to sign in exchange for either of these guys? I'm not aware of any UFA that are clearly better at C and G than who we resigned with the exception of Mawae and maybe Weigmann, and they are both way older than Rabach. Both of those are C,'s who are the guards you would rather see here?

Now, Maurkice Pouncey of Florida and Iupati of Vandy, I would pick them in the draft, but considering our needs at OT, I don't see them being around long enough to pick.

And given the fact that MS and BA are cleaning house and chose to bring back Williams when he was UFA, says they must see something in him.

BurgundyNGold
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
while im not disagreeing with this, based on olines of shannys past in denver. if you'll recall, one of the first things shanny said when he arrived here about his olines in denver about being smaller than typical was that big guys wore down quicker up there in the thin air at mile high. i guess people can take that for what its worth, just thought id throw it out there
You have valid points and it's important that you brought them into the discussion. But while Denver is certainly a different environment and the physical rigors of the NFC East are renowned, is Mike Williams really the guy you want in a zone scheme that is dependent upon quickness and that is prone to cut blocking?

As another poster said, MW has lost more weight than most people will in their entire life. But let's understand why he needed top do that. He gained more weight than most people ever would in their life. He ate the equivalent of a decent sized woman or a small man over his playing weight lol. While I applaud his losing that weight, I'm horrified by his gaining it in the first place.

skinsfan36
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
if forester can turn him into serviceable he should get a huge raise. that said i think he is a backup/camp fodder a very big one lol

Patrick
03-06-2010, 07:41 AM
LOL ....... and I notice Ahk has not made a comment in this thread. Must have caused him to go into a three bottle night :drunker: . I know he's a big fan of M. Williams ..........

skin4ever
03-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I dont understand this signing for the zone blocking scheme. Maybe they saw him at NT on the Dline instead. Hes big enough.

Biggie
03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Ugh. I can't wait until they get some better linemen here.

shally
03-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I dont understand this signing for the zone blocking scheme. Maybe they saw him at NT on the Dline instead. Hes big enough.

i think what got him another "tryout" was the magnitude of his effort.. first he lost all the weight without a contract.. then he was willing to be switched between Tackle and Guard, and Right and Left sides without ANY WHINING at all

as Allen said, he did everything the team asked him to do.. what is the risk of letting a guy like that come to camp and learn the new blocking schemes ? at the worst, he gets cut

JasonCampbell
03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I just can't understand this at all. You mean to tell me there is no one younger with more potential out there that can surplant BMW? I like the dude, but c'mon.

NCskinsfanatic
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I just can't understand this at all. You mean to tell me there is no one younger with more potential out there that can surplant BMW? I like the dude, but c'mon.

There are players out there Pitts, Hamilton, Bridges, etc. we're just too intent on being "measured and cautious" to sign any of them thus far.

IowaSkinsFan
03-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Sure there is. Teams release young talented offensive lineman every year at the start of FA. Hardly need a draft.:smash:

shally
03-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Coaching must matter.

actually, i thought that Rinehart played pretty well in his second chance last year.., before he got hurt.. he had a couple of plays when he got walked back into the QB's face, but i thought he played with energy and didnt look half bad.. apparently, that is what Shanahan must have thought as well.. i want to see what he does in the new scheme

BurgundyNGold
03-06-2010, 01:40 PM
actually, i thought that Rinehart played pretty well in his second chance last year.., before he got hurt.. he had a couple of plays when he got walked back into the QB's face, but i thought he played with energy and didnt look half bad.. apparently, that is what Shanahan must have thought as well.. i want to see what he does in the new scheme
I didn't see it Shally. Maybe in relative context to the rest of the jailbreak he looked good but, really, Levi Jones was the only OL that we had that looked even marginally competent after Samuels and Thomas went down.

shally
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I didn't see it Shally. Maybe in relative context to the rest of the jailbreak he looked good but, really, Levi Jones was the only OL that we had that looked even marginally competent after Samuels and Thomas went down.

respectfully disagree.. i thought that Jones looked atrocious..i wish i could remember the site and the article i read where the various Redskin Offensive linemen were rated on performance. Jones Graded out the worst- even below Heyer, which is saying something.

there may be something to it because the front office has made ZERO effort to re-sign Jones, even while they were going after Rabach and BMWilliams.. to me that says a lot because Tackle is an even bigger area of need than Center/Guard.

we are bringing guys in like Clifton and Pashos without making any effort to negotiate with Jones. That should tell you pretty much all you need to know about how he is perceived. Plus, there was a brief mention of Rinehart's evaluation by Shanahan, i believe in the WaPo Insiders, and it was pretty upbeat.. Again, NOTHING about Jones.. i think he is gone..

BurgundyNGold
03-06-2010, 03:05 PM
respectfully disagree.. i thought that Jones looked atrocious..i wish i could remember the site and the article i read where the various Redskin Offensive linemen were rated on performance. Jones Graded out the worst- even below Heyer, which is saying something.
Like most of the OL, Jones wasn't particularly good but he had stretches of competence -- which is more than I can say about Heyer, Rinehart and others. He had breakdowns just like everyone else, but I don't recalling him wiffing or being out of position like we saw on the right side regardless who was in there.

I forgot to mention Dockery. He was actually the best OL last year after Samuels went out. My bad.

there may be something to it because the front office has made ZERO effort to re-sign Jones, even while they were going after Rabach and BMWilliams.. to me that says a lot because Tackle is an even bigger area of need than Center/Guard.

we are bringing guys in like Clifton and Pashos without making any effort to negotiate with Jones. That should tell you pretty much all you need to know about how he is perceived.

We don't know that they made zero effort, only that they didn't tender him. Maybe they're thinking that, given the lack of interest he got after last offseason, they can afford to gamble with him. To be honest, tendering Heyer and Doughty at a 2nd round level makes equally as little sense in the other direction, so I'm not going to try and read too much into what the FO is doing right now lol.

Plus, there was a brief mention of Rinehart's evaluation by Shanahan, i believe in the WaPo Insiders, and it was pretty upbeat.. Again, NOTHING about Jones.. i think he is gone..
Reinhart is playing OG, not QB or WR. If he was capable of being the kind of starter this team needs, it shouldn't take 3 years for it to come out. I wouldn't have a problem keeping him around for cheap depth, but projecting him as a starter right now is the same kind of folly that led to last year's OL debacle. If we don't learn from our mistakes, we're doomed to repeat them.