PDA

View Full Version : Perry Riley, LB, LSU

cal_junior
04-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Here is his combine workout video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816e3fd6/2010-Combine-workout-Perry-Riley

cal_junior
04-24-2010, 09:50 AM
(From NFL Draft Geek):

Pros:

Great instincts and diagnoses plays very quickly
Very good in pursuit, takes great angles to the ball, and does a nice job wading through traffic
Excellent form tackler, wraps up, drives the ball carrier backwards
Very good upper body strength
Impressive speed (4.68), and plays even faster
Very experienced, 2 year starter in the SEC
High football IQ, good in gap control, and rarely out of position

Cons:

Poor in coverage, doesn't get good depth in zone, and is undisciplined in man coverage
Offers nothing as a pass rusher
Has a tough time taking on blockers
Stiff hips
Gets engulfed by big offensive lineman

CapitalDefense
04-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Yea here is some game video as well....

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsdetail&pid=42315&pcid=83&searchstring=olb

smoak
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Feels like a whole lot of "meh"

ph33rtheD
04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
If he wasn't good at getting off blocks in college why would we draft him to play ILB in a 3-4 where he would most certainly have a body on him. He won't play outside in the 3-4 either because he can't rush the passer sounds like a 4-3 MLB/SLB to me

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Think potential somewhere between Omar Gaither and Nick Barnett. Same kind of guy.

skins4life24
04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Don't know much about him but I like the pick of ILB, I hope that the Iowa T makes it to us in the fifth

Dolla Bill
04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Think about it this way; he played in the SEC. The SEC is full of guys who are better than the rest, and have NFL ready players up and down their team's rosters. Guy seems to have great sideline to sideline pursuit, but when things get vertical he has trouble with.

What do you expect from a 4th rounder though? He's going to be an ILB, and btw, in a 3/4 you're not going to have a lot of bodies on you. Your DL should be eating bodies up for you to make a play.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
He looks like a mid to late round LB selection. Not much pop on his hits, acceptable tackler. Might have 4.68 speed, but I didn't see that in his game video. Nice horse collar towards the end there lol.

I think he'll be of some use to us. My only problem is where we selected him. I'm 90% sure this guy would be on the board when we selected again in the 5th. I can't recall hearing how this is a particularly deep draft for LB, so I have a hard time believing that an OT or OG that was rated higher wouldn't have been a better pick here given the OL depth in this draft.

ph33rtheD
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
He could have been had in the 5th or 6th imo. This pick is very much similar to our previous mid-round picks.. unheard of guys that don't offer much value where their picked. I do believe he will actually contribute tho

Dolla Bill
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
He looks like a mid to late round LB selection. Not much pop on his hits, acceptable tackler. Might have 4.68 speed, but I didn't see that in his game video. Nice horse collar towards the end there lol.

I think he'll be of some use to us. My only problem is where we selected him. I'm 90% sure this guy would be on the board when we selected again in the 5th. I can't recall hearing how this is a particularly deep draft for LB, so I have a hard time believing that an OT or OG that was rated higher wouldn't have been a better pick here given the OL depth in this draft.

Lately it seems that we always believe that there is some great OL late in mid/late in the draft and after the season we don't even hear of him at all ever again. I think we should create the draft version of the league of awesome, lol.

SKINSATIONAL
04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree...anyone who plays in the SEC has to at least bring something to the table. I wonder if Haslett knew about this guy when he was coaching the Saints nearby...Corey Chavous said that Haslett was one of the most creative defensive coordinators he's been around and he said this is a great pick for us.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Lately it seems that we always believe that there is some great OL late in mid/late in the draft and after the season we don't even hear of him at all ever again. I think we should create the draft version of the league of awesome, lol.
Sadly, we wouldn't know much about that. Save for Chad Rinehart, who -- shocker -- was a reach and not worthy of his draft slot, we haven't any mid/late round OL. We haven't draft OL at all. That's why we have such an awesome stable of UDFAs on our roster along the OL. ;)

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Sadly, we wouldn't know much about that. Save for Chad Rinehart, who -- shocker -- was a reach and not worthy of his draft slot, we haven't any mid/late round OL. We haven't draft OL at all. That's why we have such an awesome stable of UDFAs on our roster along the OL. ;)

Well, until this year...

Lavar703
04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
He could have been had in the 5th or 6th imo. This pick is very much similar to our previous mid-round picks.. unheard of guys that don't offer much value where their picked. I do believe he will actually contribute tho

I wouldnt call Perry Riley "unheard of". If you watch SEC football then you should know who he is. I think we got a pretty good LB for the 4th round.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm sure he's useful and I think he'll contribute. I would to have liked to have seen him selected in the 5th or 6th but I'm guessing that we selected this kid because his "Redskins" grade was high enough to be selected where he was.

Which gets to the heart of the matter...

Note to Allen: You're getting the same ish player ratings to choose from that Gibbs and Zorn did from the staff that Vinny assembled. Fire and replace all "Redskins" scouts before you end up looking as stupid as Vinny.

NCskinsfanatic
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM

That was my issue as well and this seems to follow the line of thought that it was a reach where we picked at...

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=WAS

Redskins selected LSU LB Perry Riley with the No. 103 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Riley, who goes 6'2/245, played weak-side linebacker at LSU, finishing second on the Tigers in tackles. He'll compete for playing time inside with Rocky McIntosh in Washington's new 3-4 defense, while also likely chipping in on special teams. Not a playmaker, Riley forced just one career fumble. Considering the talent left, he was a reach at the top of round four.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I wouldnt call Perry Riley "unheard of". If you watch SEC football then you should know who he is. I think we got a pretty good LB for the 4th round.
He's at least unheralded and, for most people, unheard of.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, until this year...
Yes, but that's one pick and at the top of the 1st. We're talking about mid/late OL selections. We still haven't done that. Maybe we will, but I'm going to LOL when Capers or Fox are available at 5 and we select someone else. I think the problem is that the "Redskins Grade" is being compiled by C students.

Lavar703
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, but that's one pick and at the top of the 1st. We're talking about mid/late OL selections. We still haven't done that. Maybe we will, but I'm going to LOL when Capers or Fox are available at 5 and we select someone else. I think the problem is that the "Redskins Grade" is being compiled by C students.

The reason I can justify the Riley pick as a good choice is because Ive become so use to this. We never pick the guy we should, we always pick the guy that could be had in the 6th or 7th round. Think about last year, Duke Robinson is still on the board and we take Cody Glenn, its comical and I just expect it now. I already know that our 5th round pick will be some DL we have never heard of.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM

There's no holdovers in the FO that I'm aware of.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
There's no holdovers in the FO that I'm aware of.
I have not heard a single account of anyone being fired from or hired into the scouting staff. And even if they were, they didn't have time to scout anybody last year.

shally
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM

sounds like Henson.. hopefully with better skills and production

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
The reason I can justify the Riley pick as a good choice is because Ive become so use to this. We never pick the guy we should, we always pick the guy that could be had in the 6th or 7th round. Think about last year, Duke Robinson is still on the board and we take Cody Glenn, its comical and I just expect it now. I already know that our 5th round pick will be some DL we have never heard of.
LMAO. Yeah, but I expected that to change under Allen. What did change, at least, is that we drafted a position that was on the need list and the pick wasn't as "WTF?" as it usually is. I'm not up in arms over this selection, only displeased that it wasn't someone else with Riley coming in the 5th or 6th.

shally
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
That was my issue as well and this seems to follow the line of thought that it was a reach where we picked at...

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=WAS

we could have had Bruce Campbell.. which says a lot to me

it also says that i think Rocky will be gone before long

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I have not heard a single account of anyone being fired from or hired into the scouting staff. And even if they were, they didn't have time to scout anybody last year.

I'm 99.9% sure that Shanny/Allen wiped the boards clean of the FO people. Morocco Brown is gone, I know that.

NCskinsfanatic
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm 99.9% sure that Shanny/Allen wiped the boards clean of the FO people. Morocco Brown is gone, I know that.

Well heck he was the one guy I liked lol...

shally
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM

true.. but he was also pumped up a lot by the WaPo.. who knows what he was really doing ??

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't know much about Morocco Brown. A quick Google shows a bunch of stuff about him with the Redskins but not much about him being fired. And I don;t know that we replaced or supplemented ANY of the regional scouts.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM

He might have been a smart guy, but he had the Cerrato herpes.

NCskinsfanatic
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
we could have had Bruce Campbell.. which says a lot to me

it also says that i think Rocky will be gone before long

I dunno shally unless we do some post draft trades swapping players for players I'm not so sure we move any of our guys at this point. Nobody seems to want them, nobody... well unless they're getting them for practically nothing.

ph33rtheD
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Well in the 4-3 Orakpo can be a full-time DE with Riley playing sam. That's cool I guess.

CarMike
04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Wonder how many people were complaining about CH a couple of years ago when taken in the 7th round? He turned out to be a pretty good pick.

Just because you haven't heard of a player doesn't mean he can't play. Players slip every year. And guys are underrated every year.

I'll wait till TC and preseason before judging later draft picks.

OCSkinzFan
04-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Feels like a whole lot of "meh"

Defensive MVP of the Chick-fil-A Bowl this year.

A finalist for the Butkus Award, which goes to the top linebacker in college football, in 2008.

Started 22 college games and W/185 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 ints. and 13 stops for loss.

He grew up a fan of the Redskins.

And most important, played on special teams for all four of his years at LSU.

Good round 4 pick.

He'll back up ILB and play teams IMO.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't know much about Morocco Brown. A quick Google shows a bunch of stuff about him with the Redskins but not much about him being fired. And I don;t know that we replaced or supplemented ANY of the regional scouts.

Of course we did. Allen/Shanny brought in their guys. Allen replaced Brown(who was let go).

CapitalDefense
Wonder how many people were complaining about CH a couple of years ago when taken in the 7th round? He turned out to be a pretty good pick.

Just because you haven't heard of a player doesn't mean he can't play. Players slip every year. And guys are underrated every year.

Right, we will see in the preseason if these guys can play. Also remember the UDFA's we have had some success there in the past as well.

shally
I dunno shally unless we do some post draft trades swapping players for players I'm not so sure we move any of our guys at this point. Nobody seems to want them, nobody... well unless they're getting them for practically nothing.

true.. that is what is happening around the league, for sure.. buyers market for RFA's.. but that will change after the draft when teams assess their needs and what they didnt fill

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Of course we did. Allen/Shanny brought in their guys.
I think I would have remembered if there was an article somewhere that said that the Redskins cleaned house of scouts. I have been waiting for this for years. I also think that there would have been a thread on this forum about it and that Google would have a record of the news like they so something as peripheral as our strength and conditioning coach.

shally
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Right, we will see in the preseason if these guys can play. Also remember the UDFA's we have had some success there in the past as well.

+1

i expect we will sign about 20 of them right after the draft.. when you have only 4 picks, you send out a lot of feelers to players you think might not get drafted indicating your interest after the draft..

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I think I would have remembered if there was an article somewhere that said that the Redskins cleaned house of scouts. I have been waiting for this for years. I also think that there would have been a thread on this forum about it and that Google would have a record of the news like they so something as peripheral as our strength and conditioning coach.

Coaches, yes. The skins don't release info on FO moves. They don't even have a list on their website. Brown's probably a "consultant" since he got the Rooney rule interview for Allen's job.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Coaches, yes. The skins don't release info on FO moves. They don't even have a list on their website.
It might not be on their website, but they report the moves:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Hire_Bill_Baker_As_Area_Scout_40653.jsp

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
It might not be on their website, but they report the moves:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Hire_Bill_Baker_As_Area_Scout_40653.jsp

There's nothing about Morocco brown on the entire skins' website. Thats they last scout move on their website(a year ago). Find a list of the scouts and we can see, but I'll bet you a bottle of bourbon that Allen fired at least half the holdovers in the FO.

This is all academic though: the decisions are being made by Shanahan, not some Cerratine conspiracy lol

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
There's nothing about Morocco brown on the entire skins' website. Thats they last scout move on their website(a year ago). Find a list of the scouts and we can see, but I'll bet you a bottle of bourbon that Allen fired at least half the holdovers in the FO.

This is all academic though: the decisions are being made by Shanahan, not some Cerratine conspiracy lol
They announced his hiring:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Hire_Brown_to_Pro_Personnel_Post_5588.jsp

So did about 100 other places. There is news up and down the Internet on hirings. Even if nobody ever reported the firings, they always seem to report the hirings all over the Internet.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 10:57 AM
They announced his hiring:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Hire_Brown_to_Pro_Personnel_Post_5588.jsp

So did about 100 other places. There is news up and down the Internet on hirings. Even if nobody ever reported the firings, they always seem to report the hirings all over the Internet.

And there's nothing about Morocco Brown after his "interview" for Allen's job.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
And there's nothing about Morocco Brown after his "interview" for Allen's job.
And there's also nothing about Morocco Brown being hired anywhere else. That's where the trail ends. Without any evidence to the contrary, you cannot assume that the whole FO staff has been relieved of its duties and replaced by other people with absolutely no mention of it anywhere in the world of digital media.

That all said, I expect them all to be fired after this draft so Allen and Shanny can appoint their own staff. But until then, all evidence seems to point to the fact that the folks who were scouts in December of 2009 still has a job in Ashburn.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
And there's also nothing about Morocco Brown being hired anywhere else. That's where the trail ends. Without any evidence to the contrary, you cannot assume that the whole FO staff has been relieved of its duties and replaced by other people with absolutely no mention of it anywhere in the world of digital media.

Or they're "consultants" lol

That all said, I expect them all to be fired after this draft so Allen and Shanny can appoint their own staff. But until then, all evidence seems to point to the fact that the folks who were scouts in December of 2009 still has a job in Ashburn.

Based on what? That the skins made a pick you disagreed with? The Cerratines liked small/medium program guys in these rounds and Riley went to LSU.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Or they're "consultants" lol
I think that they're still doing their jobs because you don't clean house and replace your whole scouting group before the draft. You just don't see that very often because you're probably better served to let them finish out the cycle and to replace them at the start of the next cycle, which would be in June or so.

Based on what? That the skins made a pick you disagreed with? The Cerratines liked small/medium program guys in these rounds and Riley went to LSU.
Based on the fact that, as you agree, Allen and Shanny are going to want their own people in place. Add in the collectively horrible drafting history by this group of scouts and you have more than ample reason before this draft even started.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I think that they're still doing their jobs because you don't clean house and replace your whole scouting group before the draft. You just don't see that very often because you're probably better served to let them finish out the cycle and to replace them at the start of the next cycle, which would be in June or so.

I would agree, if Allen came in first in mid january. But he was hired in December and had plenty of time to make moves. To settle this, I simply emailed the redskins asking for a list of their FO personnel and if Morocco Brown is still an active employee. I'll report any response.

Based on the fact that, as you agree, Allen and Shanny are going to want their own people in place. Add in the collectively horrible drafting history by this group of scouts and you have more than ample reason before this draft even started.

I agree that Riley was taken a bit early(Although Scouts Inc had him listed at the 84th best prospect and we took him at 103), but he appears to be infinitely a better(and more NFL ready) pick than Cody Glenn and Robert Henson(for example).

BigCountry
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Just cause you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's unheard of. He was a two year starter for a major school in the SEC and was on many team's radar.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I would agree, if Allen came in first in mid january. But he was hired in December and had plenty of time to make moves. To settle this, I simply emailed the redskins asking for a list of their FO personnel and if Morocco Brown is still an active employee. I'll report any response.
Thanks. Be sure the FW that to me, as well.

I agree that Riley was taken a bit early(Although Scouts Inc had him listed at the 84th best prospect and we took him at 103), but he appears to be infinitely a better(and more NFL ready) pick than Cody Glenn and Robert Henson(for example).
Yeah, those were horrible picks lol. Like I've said, I don't consider Riley a bad talent and I can settle for a reach there -- and he is considered a reach at the top of the 4th on most of the ratings I've seen. Especially when you consider that there was much higher rated OL help at that pick and that there is a glut of LB available late and as UDFA. Not that I would advocate this, but you can actually get away with an UDFA playing ILB in a 3-4.

CapitalDefense
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
A solid tackler, the lost art in the NFL. He is not flashy, he doesn't have alot of great plays but everything I read is he can tackle.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks. Be sure the FW that to me, as well.

Of course.

Yeah, those were horrible picks lol. Like I've said, I don't consider Riley a bad talent and I can settle for a reach there -- and he is considered a reach at the top of the 4th on most of the ratings I've seen. Especially when you consider that there was much higher rated OL help at that pick and that there is a glut of LB available late and as UDFA. Not that I would advocate this, but you can actually get away with an UDFA playing ILB in a 3-4.

I agree on the Oline, but there's still plenty of high talent Oline on the board right now and we pick in about 20 picks.

I would rather have had Norwood, but Riley could start this year at ILB and looks like an ideal run stopper type for this system.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree on the Oline, but there's still plenty of high talent Oline on the board right now and we pick in about 20 picks.

I would rather have had Norwood, but Riley could start this year at ILB and looks like an ideal run stopper type for this system.
I would have preferred Capers, Fox, Campbell... any number of higher rated, higher need guys. I'm cool with having Riley on our team and there did seem to be a mini-run on OLB after we took him, but I also think that LB is one of the easiest positions to fill on the field.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I would have preferred Capers, Fox, Campbell... any number of higher rated, higher need guys. I'm cool with having Riley on our team and there did seem to be a mini-run on OLB after we took him, but I also think that LB is one of the easiest positions to fill on the field.

Capers and a bunch of others are still there...

BigCountry
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Of course.

I was hoping for Norwood too but what do you think of this guy as a consolation prize?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1277382?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

P.S
Best site on the web IMO.

akhhorus
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I was hoping for Norwood too but what do you think of this guy as a consolation prize?

UDFA probably, wouldn't mind him though.

OCSkinzFan
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Just cause you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's unheard of. He was a two year starter for a major school in the SEC and was on many team's radar.

Anybody that watched the Chick-fil-A Bowl this year should know who he is. Riley was the Defensive MVP.

He can play.

BigCountry
UDFA probably, wouldn't mind him though.

They have him rated as a 5th round pick but the Jags took a kid who is basically his clone and they had him rated as a 7th round pick so you never know. Eric Olsen, Matt Tennant and Jeff Byers still on the board too.

BurgundyNGold
Capers and a bunch of others are still there...
I hope we get him. That would effectively cancel out my criticism. We would have just changed the selection order of LB and OL between 4th and 5th.

That said, I don't see how Capers gets past the Ravens. Ozzie has made a career off of value picks like Capers.

shally
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
They have him rated as a 5th round pick but the Jags took a kid who is basically his clone and they had him rated as a 7th round pick so you never know. Eric Olsen, Matt Tennant and Jeff Byers still on the board too.

i think Tennant is going to be a very good player in the NFL

ChiefPowhatan17
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
They have seen all these guys workout in person, we have not, plus he would have gone before round 4 was over. SKINS got value in this pick, but I am not so sure about the choice of position needed. I would have gone OT again.

BigCountry
04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Safety sleeper for all you safety fans. Smart kid with some range that seems like a Patriots type player to me. Listed as an SS but can play FS. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1258632?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Darrell Stuckey from Kansas is also still on the board for some reason if we go safety.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
They have seen all these guys workout in person, we have not, plus he would have gone before round 4 was over. SKINS got value in this pick, but I am not so sure about the choice of position needed. I would have gone OT again.
Possibly. He is rated anywhere from 84 (Scouts, Inc) to 133 (CBS Sportsline), so the selection at 103 is just about in the middle. I agree that OL was a bigger need, though.

X-Factor13
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Why didn't we trade this pick to get Kirk Morrison? We would've gotten someone who is at least an immediate starter for us

BigCountry
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Did Kirk Herbstreit sleep with an executive's wife?

Goskins11
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM

P.S
Best site on the web IMO.

Wow! he sounds nastly! Would love him as a UDFA.

lorimike
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Bruce Campbel would have been the better pick. Riley could have been had much later in this draft.

Battle Cat
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM

One thing I have noticed about this forum is most people are happy drafting someone people never heard of if he plays for Maryland or Virginia. But as a fan and watcher of SEC football Riley will be a good inside linebacker. He was LSU's leader on defense.

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Who is CH? Corey Haim?

skinsfan36
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
nice pick with upside. may of been a reach but not as bad as some that we saw yesterday. played in the sec and should be a good fit at ILB next to fletcher

VegasSkinsFan
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
nice pick with upside. may of been a reach but not as bad as some that we saw yesterday. played in the sec and should be a good fit at ILB next to fletcher

Or day 1...look at the #10 pick, and maybe the #25.

SKINSATIONAL
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
CH must mean Chris Horton....If not....Charleton Heston?

BurgundyNGold
04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
CH must mean Chris Horton....If not....Charleton Heston?
Thanks. I couldn't make that connection for the life of me. Maybe if he had played last year it would have been more accessible to my faltering brain.

skinfan43
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Defensive leader of his team, high motor, and just has that intense, no-nonsense demeanor. Good by me, and obviously Haslett too.

tuckahoeskin
04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Did Kirk Herbstreit sleep with an executive's wife?

Whomever she was, she probably didn't mind a bit.

BigCountry
04-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Whomever she was, she probably didn't mind a bit.

Someone did, they stuck him alone with Millen.

cal_junior
04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
FYI: Shanahan is saying that Riley was drafted to play ILB. That should clear up any issues about size, since he's an ideal height/weight for the inside.

BurgundyNGold
04-25-2010, 10:31 AM
FYI: Shanahan is saying that Riley was drafted to play ILB. That should clear up any issues about size, since he's an ideal height/weight for the inside.
I think Larry Foote already did that. ;)

cal_junior
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I think Larry Foote already did that. ;)

I thought Foote played inside. The size issues with Riley seemed to be that he was undersized for the 3-4 OLB position.

smoak
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Defensive MVP of the Chick-fil-A Bowl this year.

A finalist for the Butkus Award, which goes to the top linebacker in college football, in 2008.

Started 22 college games and W/185 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 ints. and 13 stops for loss.

He grew up a fan of the Redskins.

And most important, played on special teams for all four of his years at LSU.

Good round 4 pick.

He'll back up ILB and play teams IMO.

Yeah, I've sinced warmed on this pick. I didn't like the pick at first, and I still don't think it's an "A"... But I'm looking forward to seeing the guy on the field.

BurgundyNGold
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I thought Foote played inside. The size issues with Riley seemed to be that he was undersized for the 3-4 OLB position.
We already have a glut of 3-4 OLB candidates. They drafted him to play inside. I think that's what Shanny said after the draft too.

cal_junior
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
We already have a glut of 3-4 OLB candidates. They drafted him to play inside. I think that's what Shanny said after the draft too.

Then I'm officially puzzled people had size concerns

BurgundyNGold
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Then I'm officially puzzled people had size concerns
There are things to question (ability to adjust inside, pass coverage skills, pass rushing skills, etc) but I don't think his size should be one of them. The size precedent for 6'-1", 240 has been set for ILB in a 3-4 several times over in several different schemes.

panamaMike
04-25-2010, 08:35 PM
There are things to question (ability to adjust inside, pass coverage skills, pass rushing skills, etc) but I don't think his size should be one of them. The size precedent for 6'-1", 240 has been set for ILB in a 3-4 several times over in several different schemes.

I think you will see that he will not miss a step. LSU plays a defense that had him inside as much as out. He plays hard every down, makes good tackles by not going for the knockout, and he plays his best went the game is on the line. When he played against Florida both years he looked like Butkus .I like him even if he is from LSU.

Keino
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Ahk, Any response to your email? I am curious.

akhhorus
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Ahk, Any response to your email? I am curious.

Nothing so far.