PDA

View Full Version : Robert Henson

pickwick
04-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Remember him?

If not:

13(186) Washington Redskins Robert Henson ILB TCU
Henson has ideal size for the LB position. He displays good fluidity with his play and flashes some explosion. However, he needs to improve his overall footwork and instinct.

I had forgotten about him until I looked at our depth chart on ESPN and all of a sudden my only concern is with how we shuffle our o-line to make it work. This year we have competition at every spot, and depth to boot!

Skins-fo-life
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
What does O-line have to do with a LB? or did he get switched to O-line?

Hr fan
04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
One phrase that was missing in the snyderatto decade has often appeared in the last few months - "he fits our scheme". vinnie acquisitions were made that the coaches would not use or would miscast, ala Jason Taylor. I don't know if a good player like Jarmon makes the team if he doesn't fit. The coaching staff has no vinnie ego to contend with in shaping the roster. And Henson may fit the scheme now where Blache wouldn't use him. On O this could be behind the incredible and unsolicited comment by K-Shanny about the O line. It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

CarMike
04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Henson should have been cut last year after opening his mouth to the fans.

pickwick
04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
What does O-line have to do with a LB? or did he get switched to O-line?

Forgive my spastic transition from DEF to OFF. I was just impressed that we had some draft hold overs that may work in this new system. All the experts were concerned with our ILB depth, which seems to be find as of right now. The last sentence should have started a new thought, which is, I'm excited about our chances if our line is as good as Mini Shanny seems to think it is.

Skins-fo-life
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Forgive my spastic transition from DEF to OFF. I was just impressed that we had some draft hold overs that may work in this new system. All the experts were concerned with our ILB depth, which seems to be find as of right now. The last sentence should have started a new thought, which is, I'm excited about our chances if our line is as good as Mini Shanny seems to think it is.

+1

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
LOL. That is cause for excitement. Man, Vinny sucked so bad. I'll be glad when we get guys like Henson into camp and we can see them in the preseason. I wouldn't be shocked if 1 or 2 guys that were meh under Blache turn out to be pretty good under Haslett.

Skins-fo-life
04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
LOL. That is cause for excitement. Man, Vinny sucked so bad. I'll be glad when we get guys like Henson into camp and we can see them in the preseason. I wouldn't be shocked if 1 or 2 guys that were meh under Blache turn out to be pretty good under Haslett.

Then Vinny can go on ESPN radio and state how great of a talent evaluator he was..lmao

native skin
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Then Vinny can go on ESPN radio and state how great of a talent evaluator he was..lmao

I saw Vinnie on MASN yesterday afternoon talking about the Ravens picks. It was sad to see the hosts paying such close attention to his opinions. Sorry fools.

It will be nice to see Henson find a place on the team. The more LBs the better.

Biggie
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Are me and CarMike the only ones that think Henson should've been sent packing after that Twitter crap he pulled?

native skin
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Whatever... he made a mistake. He knows better now.

FunBunch5
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Are me and CarMike the only ones that think Henson should've been sent packing after that Twitter crap he pulled?

No I am with you on this. I am tired of big mouth athletes taking for granted their customers.

Skins-fo-life
04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
No I am with you on this. I am tired of big mouth athletes taking for granted their customers.

+1 Henson def. has a long way to go to restore the bond with us fans.

CarMike
04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Whatever... he made a mistake. He knows better now.

LOL

I'm sure he does. [/sarcasm]

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
LOL

I'm sure he does. [/sarcasm]
Well, he doesn't tweet anymore, at least. We should keep an eye on his Facebook page this year lol. ;)

BtwnDaTackles
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM

I must be living under a rock, what did he do?

pickwick
04-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Now that he's apologized for calling fans "dim wits," Washington Redskins rookie Robert Henson is apparently done with Twitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4495020

He might have confused us with Dan S.

Keino
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
What he did was pretty stupid, but the fans he reacted to were even moreso. The stadium was booing as the team lined up for Victory formation.

That was just stupid.

Redskinmayhem
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
This Henson fella should stick to playing w/ puppets.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x104/limegreenmoon/Henson/Jim-Henson.jpg

DaveKShape
04-27-2010, 11:50 AM
What he did was pretty stupid, but the fans he reacted to were even moreso. The stadium was booing as the team lined up for Victory formation.

That was just stupid.

that was a very terribly played game. a win is a win, but an awful win against the worst team in the league, for those who paid a lot of money to be there, warranted the right to boo.

the players were quick to call the fans out, but they could have stepped up to prove us wrong. obviously they didn't.

Red Bear
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
i cant believe people still havent gotten over the henson thing, sure it was stupid of him, but its also a bit petty to still be bitter over it.

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
i cant believe people still havent gotten over the henson thing, sure it was stupid of him, but its also a bit petty to still be bitter over it.
I can see that perspective, but I can also see folks who see Henson as representative of the spoiled athlete.

I mean, here is this guy drafted in the 6th round who shouldn't have been drafted. In the minds of many, he probably wouldn't have been on the team if not for Vinny not wanting to look like a completely fumbled that draft. He's not playing, he's not even active for games. The team plays like crap and the fans are really, really upset at the garbage they just witnessed. So they boo in an effort to effect change, as they feel they have the right to do. The timing of the booing was suspect, but the sentiment was probably accurate.

Then here comes Henson, probably in street clothes during the game, tweeting that the fans (all of whom apparently work 9-5 at McDonalds) don't know what's best for the team. Then he goes on to call the fans dim-wits or nit-wits -- I can't remember which, but it probably doesn't matter. These fans who pay his salary for doing nothing for a team that he probably shouldn't even be on. And all of this is happening at a time when Danny is running around, pulling his Marie Antionette act.

So, yeah, I can understand why people are still pissed at the guy. It was more than just a verbal faux pas. It went far deeper than that.

That all said, I'm not sure if he should have been released for that incident. You can probably make a solid argument for 3 or 4 other reasons why he should be released, but I don't think that qualifies. It's close, but not far enough for me.

Keino
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
that was a very terribly played game. a win is a win, but an awful win against the worst team in the league, for those who paid a lot of money to be there, warranted the right to boo.

the players were quick to call the fans out, but they could have stepped up to prove us wrong. obviously they didn't.

I know all too well what the prices are (since I was in the building) and I am an avid supporter of the fans' right to boo when they are not happy. But when the game is decided and your team wins, you have no reason to boo. Was it well played? Nope, but I'll take a poorly played win over a well played loss any day of the week.

I don't think the players should have said anything about the booing, but I though Cooley's comments were almost as bad, but were completely glossed over.

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I know all too well what the prices are (since I was in the building) and I am an avid supporter of the fans' right to boo when they are not happy. But when the game is decided and your team wins, you have no reason to boo. Was it well played? Nope, but I'll take a poorly played win over a well played loss any day of the week.

I don't think the players should have said anything about the booing, but I though Cooley's comments were almost as bad, but were completely glossed over.
The thing is, I don't really think that booing was directed at the players as much as the coaches and ownership. By that time, folks had reached the boiling point. I, for one, didn't really blame the players for lacking talent, being misused or not used at all.

CarMike
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm pretty petty when it comes to things like this. I'll admit it. It's a choice for me to be a fan. He doesn't have a choice to be a player on the team I cheer for.

Hence, he should keep his mouth shut when it comes to the people who are providing him with a pay check as a player who isn't good enough to crack the 53 deep on a team.

CarMike
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM

that's not quite the way I remember it. Since Cooley said what he did, I've been in full support to trade him for what ever we could get since he's the most popular player the Redskins have.

I haven't gotten over Henson nor Cooleys comments. Both pissed me off to no end.

I'll say this, I agree 100% with you and the fans booing a win. No matter how ugly it was.

Redskinmayhem
04-27-2010, 03:29 PM

I disagree. I think fans have the right to boo, especially at the game in question. It was an abysmal performance. We pay these players over-inflated salaries. Without us, the fans, they have no jobs. What we don't have a right to do, as fans, is step on to the field, antagonize our team or others, etc. Booing, IMHO, is fine. It's really the only way, short of a boycott, to express our displeasure to management, the owner and the players.

Let me ask you - did you feel better after the win Vs. the Rams, or the loss vs the Saints? I know a win is a win and I'd take 19 games won in poor fashion but we played a much better game vs a better team when we lost to the Saints.

Redskinmayhem
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM

I don't recall Cooley calling the fans "9-5 McDonald's employees" but his comments may have been glossed over because he's a pro-bowler, not some game day inactive, 6th rd pick in his rookie season.

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
henson ought to stick to spying.

http://www.nndb.com/people/289/000026211/hanssen.jpg

OCSkinzFan
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM

That was just stupid.

+1!

Keino
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I disagree. I think fans have the right to boo, especially at the game in question. It was an abysmal performance. We pay these players over-inflated salaries. Without us, the fans, they have no jobs. What we don't have a right to do, as fans, is step on to the field, antagonize our team or others, etc. Booing, IMHO, is fine. It's really the only way, short of a boycott, to express our displeasure to management, the owner and the players.

Let me ask you - did you feel better after the win Vs. the Rams, or the loss vs the Saints? I know a win is a win and I'd take 19 games won in poor fashion but we played a much better game vs a better team when we lost to the Saints.

I'd rather win than look good losing all day every day and 16 times on Sundays. I felt much better after winning against the Rams than choking against the Saints.

As I said, I support booing in the right time or place. Sending the team to the locker-room at half-time to a chorus of boos? Ok by me. Feel free to read my comments on the topic. But booing Victory Formation? Nonsensical.

You play the game to win. Period.

This portion is not in direct response to you.

Cooley's comments were along the lines of "Know your role. The player plays. Fans are to support us. Don't boo us in victory formation". It was condescending, but not as bad as the Mickey Dees remarks.

Keino
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't recall Cooley calling the fans "9-5 McDonald's employees" but his comments may have been glossed over because he's a pro-bowler, not some game day inactive, 6th rd pick in his rookie season.

Even more reason why his comments should not be glossed over. He is more of a face of the franchise than some dude on the practice squad.

akhhorus
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Wasn't what he and Cooley was complaining about was booing at halftime?

cal_junior
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
that's not quite the way I remember it. Since Cooley said what he did, I've been in full support to trade him for what ever we could get since he's the most popular player the Redskins have.

What did Cooley say that made/makes you want the team to trade him? I have honestly no recollection of any (non penis-related) controversy surrounding 47.

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Even more reason why his comments should not be glossed over. He is more of a face of the franchise than some dude on the practice squad.
True, but which is more offensive? If your pro bowl TE, who is normally an easy going fan favorite, says that the fans were out of line, maybe you listen or, at least, maybe he has earned some goodwill capital to say something. But where does some first year, never-was who had been inactive the whole season to that point get off admonishing the fan base, calling them McDonald's employees and dim-wits?

Biggie
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree. I didn't like what Cooley did but he goes out and helps the team win (or at least tries to). Henson did nothing.

akhhorus
04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
What did Cooley say that made/makes you want the team to trade him? I have honestly no recollection of any (non penis-related) controversy surrounding 47.

We ripped him pretty good here for his comments. The difference being that Cooley is an established star player and I saw the field more than Robert Henson lol.

cal_junior
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
We ripped him pretty good here for his comments.

what were the comments?

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
did he even play at all during the regular season?

Keino
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Wasn't what he and Cooley was complaining about was booing at halftime?

Not to my recollection, but that is not 100%. Both were pissed about the booing in Victory formation to end the game against the Rams.

True, but which is more offensive? If your pro bowl TE, who is normally an easy going fan favorite, says that the fans were out of line, maybe you listen or, at least, maybe he has earned some goodwill capital to say something. But where does some first year, never-was who had been inactive the whole season to that point get off admonishing the fan base, calling them McDonald's employees and dim-wits?

As an educated fan, both were offensive.

The flipside of your argument is that we should expect some foolishness from a rookie 6th rounder, but the pro-bowl TE who misses many o block should be professional enough to focus on his job and not the fans. He is no place to admonish the fans either, especially since the fans paid much more to him over 7 years than they did to Henson.

We ripped him pretty good here for his comments. The difference being that Cooley is an established star player and I saw the field more than Robert Henson lol.

As well we should have. There is no difference. A player star or not has no business admonishing fans when they are producing a crappy product for which said fans paid hard earned dollars.

Keino
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
what were the comments?

"There is a reason that fans are fans. My job is to play tight end and yours is to cheer loud. To be the best "we" all gotta play our roles."

Keino
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
On Second thought, Cooley's comments weren't really all that bad. He was answering a question about our use of "we" in talking about the team.

cal_junior
04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
On Second thought, Cooley's comments weren't really all that bad. He was answering a question about our use of "we" in talking about the team.

And that was made folks want him to be traded?

CarMike
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
At the time, I was just fed up with all the losing. And I thought what he had said was worse than it apparently was. I was wrong.

I do remember during that period of barely beating the Rams, losing to the Lions that I was on a very short leash. Then when team members started to diss the fans, I guess I had had enough. :whoknows:

Looking back I guess I made a mountain out of a molehill. However, with a little prodding, I'm sure I could feel that way again. lol

cal_junior
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Looking back I guess I made a mountain out of a molehill. However, with a little prodding, I'm sure I could feel that way again. lol

4-12 is to blame. Not you.

Keino
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Nah, his comments came on the heel of the Henson comments, so people were just pissed in general.

I don't recall people calling for trades, just being pissed about the comments.

Red Bear
04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I can see that perspective, but I can also see folks who see Henson as representative of the spoiled athlete.

I mean, here is this guy drafted in the 6th round who shouldn't have been drafted. In the minds of many, he probably wouldn't have been on the team if not for Vinny not wanting to look like a completely fumbled that draft. He's not playing, he's not even active for games. The team plays like crap and the fans are really, really upset at the garbage they just witnessed. So they boo in an effort to effect change, as they feel they have the right to do. The timing of the booing was suspect, but the sentiment was probably accurate.

Then here comes Henson, probably in street clothes during the game, tweeting that the fans (all of whom apparently work 9-5 at McDonalds) don't know what's best for the team. Then he goes on to call the fans dim-wits or nit-wits -- I can't remember which, but it probably doesn't matter. These fans who pay his salary for doing nothing for a team that he probably shouldn't even be on. And all of this is happening at a time when Danny is running around, pulling his Marie Antionette act.

So, yeah, I can understand why people are still pissed at the guy. It was more than just a verbal faux pas. It went far deeper than that.

That all said, I'm not sure if he should have been released for that incident. You can probably make a solid argument for 3 or 4 other reasons why he should be released, but I don't think that qualifies. It's close, but not far enough for me.

people can dwell on all that if they want, especially knowing its not true everyone works at mcdonalds, are dim wits, etc... Its just not my nature to dwell on such things that i deem miniscule, thats just me. for me hensons comments are just like "pffffttt" and keep it moving. now, if he were still saying stupid things via twitter or the media then i might feel different, but you practically havent heard from him since and it appears he learned his role and learned not to alienate fans of the team. now im not defending him here so dont get me wrong, im just stating were i stand on this

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
As an educated fan, both were offensive.

The flipside of your argument is that we should expect some foolishness from a rookie 6th rounder, but the pro-bowl TE who misses many o block should be professional enough to focus on his job and not the fans. He is no place to admonish the fans either, especially since the fans paid much more to him over 7 years than they did to Henson.
Fair enough. I agree with you, but I don't exactly recall that Cooley's comments were as offensive as Henson's.

BurgundyNGold
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
people can dwell on all that if they want, especially knowing its not true everyone works at mcdonalds, are dim wits, etc... Its just not my nature to dwell on such things that i deem miniscule, thats just me. for me hensons comments are just like "pffffttt" and keep it moving. now, if he were still saying stupid things via twitter or the media then i might feel different, but you practically havent heard from him since and it appears he learned his role and learned not to alienate fans of the team. now im not defending him here so dont get me wrong, im just stating were i stand on this
I think it was such a big deal -- and this was national news on ESPN radio, as I recall -- because he had exactly zero credibility to say what he did. Maybe eve less than zero because of how poorly the team, the coaches and the management were performing.

The thing about Henson is that if he produces on the field, the fans will warm up to him. Like you said, many fans have moved past it. If he gets into some games and does something, folks will make a little more effort to find out who he is. If he gets cut in preseason, this Twitter business might end up being his 15 minutes.

Redskinmayhem
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I'd rather win than look good losing all day every day and 16 times on Sundays. I felt much better after winning against the Rams than choking against the Saints.

As I said, I support booing in the right time or place. Sending the team to the locker-room at half-time to a chorus of boos? Ok by me. Feel free to read my comments on the topic. But booing Victory Formation? Nonsensical.

You play the game to win. Period.

This portion is not in direct response to you.

Cooley's comments were along the lines of "Know your role. The player plays. Fans are to support us. Don't boo us in victory formation". It was condescending, but not as bad as the Mickey Dees remarks.

I hear ya, Keino and the more I think of it, the more I'm coming around to your side. I'd probably rather look disastrous in victory than look like a world beater in defeat. Ultimately, it goes in the books as a W and I couldn't agree more w/ you and Herm Edwards, you play to win the game. Simple as that. I'm still not sure on booing the victory formation. I can see why the players might be miffed at that but I can also see it from a fans perspective. The product on the field was trash...but HAIL TO THE REDSKINS is playing...how can you boo that???

I'm divided on this one.

Redskinmayhem
04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Honestly, I'm not too peeved about Henson anymore. He was a youngster and I'm sure the vets on the team told him how it is. I'm sure Shanny and co. will let him know "what's up" if it ever happens again. I think the guy has learned his lesson. If he hasn't, no big deal. He's not an impact player on the team. Hell, he might not even make the final 53 this season.

skinsfan36
04-27-2010, 09:48 PM
4 pages for a camp fodder and its not even june yet LOL. this guy made alot of us mad and played like what one game? i dunno if he will contribute much even if he does make it

Red Bear
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
4 pages for a camp fodder and its not even june yet LOL. this guy made alot of us mad and played like what one game? i dunno if he will contribute much even if he does make it

if he makes it will have to be via special teams...