07-31-2010, 08:52 AM
I'll start with a kicker update.

Gano so far this morning:

16 for 17 from 37 yards
3 for 3 from 40 yards

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Exciting (to me) tweet from Rick Maese:

"Fletcher just blitzes hard up middle. Looked untouched from here. Not sure I saw him get to do that once last year."

FanFromArizona
07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Glad to hear it so far.
It'll mean more to me in game situations.

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Apparently Portis is having an awesome morning. He's playing so well, in fact, fans are chanting "16-0."

SKINSATIONAL
07-31-2010, 11:18 AM
I've mentioned this before but I just wanted to reiterate...

Terrance Austin will be our diamond in the rough/sleeper pick. He was a sprinter in high school and did high jump and long jump. He broke records at UCLA and Shanny has already mentioned how "smart" he is to come in late and already start picking up the offense. It's a wrap...I'm moving him up the depth chart in Madden! GO SKINS!!!

WEEK ONE: REDSKINS 1-0 DALLAS 0-1 :moon1:

Fathead
07-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Apparently Portis is having an awesome morning. He's playing so well, in fact, fans are chanting "16-0."

If that is serious, I'm not that surprised. I think Portis is going to go off this year.

flave1969
07-31-2010, 11:43 AM
If that is serious, I'm not that surprised. I think Portis is going to go off this year.

As one of his most ardent supporters I hope so.

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
If that is serious, I'm not that surprised.

Yup, comes directly from Rick Maese.

VegasSkinsFan
07-31-2010, 12:16 PM
I read one tweet that said on one play the D was lined up in a 1-man front. I am also getting the feeling that a few of the guys who didnt have great seasons last year are going to have really good ones this year...ie portis/landry. think this might be an exciting year. GO SKINS !!!!

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I read one tweet that said on one play the D was lined up in a 1-man front.

Both sides of the ball are going to be more nuanced. Cooley is being lined up in 3-4 different spots and is being paired with Fred Davis a lot.

I'm not sure how many games the team will win, but it's going to be a much better product on the field.

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Word is that Galloway (and not Moss) is playing the X receiver position with the first team.

DaveKShape
07-31-2010, 01:01 PM
i ended up going to camp today. a few obserations:

1) brandon banks and terrence austin have their stuff together. they caught pretty much everything thrown at them, and maybe it's their small size, but they seem to cut so quickly. very elusive.

2) devin thomas can't catch the ball. keenan mccardell was running a simple drill where a 3rd party would throw the ball, receiver would catch, and mccardell would hit them immediately after with a pad. thomas dropped two in a row. on the third try, he caught it, people cheered, and he gave himself a little thumbs up, like he had actually performed well. he also dropped 2 mcnabb passes in team drills

3) both portis and johnson seemingly still have incredible speed. i think the 20 lbs portis dropped has really helped him. each of them had a play where they broke out into open field, and when they turned on the jets, it was really impressive... particularly johnson

4) mcnabb and cooley have a really good connection. there were about 4 or 5 plays where mcnabb hit cooley for around 10 - 15 yards... near perfect throws. cooley seems to be his go-to guy.

5) lorenzo alexander looks really good rushing on the left side. i was really surprised - but he definitely wreaked a lot of havoc running in there. i didn't really get to see much of him dropping back into coverage - but he definitely gives carter a run for his money - him being 1st team makes sense.

6) deangelo hall picked off mcnabb - seemed like a mistake on mcnabb's part vs. hall actually working for the ball, but it was great to see some ballhawking going on. as someone said in the other thread, dude is wearing no. 2 now, which is weird. not sure if that's just for camp.

7) colt is still the clear no. 3, but i think bartel looks really good, particularly on the long ball. it will be an interesting battle for 3rd.

8) after practice, mcnabb was still out there doing sprints with bartel/brennan. it was pretty awesome to see his dedication to the game. grossman didn't participate.

9) speaking of grossman - he wasn't particularly good. it's not like anything was glaring, aside from a few balls chucked out of bounds. it just seems like he didn't do anything that made me feel better about him being one bad mcnabb hit away from being our starter

10) caught a glimpse of haynesworth out towards the very far end of the field at the end of practice. i don't think haslett was there - but, it should be noted that he was wearing a 92 redskins jersey... not sure if they've allowed him to put it on thurs/fri.

11) davis/cooley lined up together only once (that i noticed). i was super-psyched, because i can't wait until this combo screws with defenses' minds. cooley went into motion and davis ran a cross route. this left moss open on the left for an easy 10 yards.

i'll try to think of more. overall, for my first time observing them practice... i'd have to say that shanahan has this team on lock. he lets his coaches control their individual areas and roams frequently, keeping tabs on what's going on. you can tell that he is the leader. also, it was great to see k-shan so intimately involved with the offense, and mcnabb in particular.

this has me very optimistic for the season. it should be noted that i observed the whole practice, so if anyone has any particular questions, i'll do my best to answer them based on what i saw.

CapitalDefense
07-31-2010, 01:20 PM
i ended up going to camp today. a few obserations:

1) brandon banks and terrence austin have their stuff together. they caught pretty much everything thrown at them, and maybe it's their small size, but they seem to cut so quickly. very elusive.

2) devin thomas can't catch the ball. keenan mccardell was running a simple drill where a 3rd party would throw the ball, receiver would catch, and mccardell would hit them immediately after with a pad. thomas dropped two in a row. on the third try, he caught it, people cheered, and he gave himself a little thumbs up, like he had actually performed well. he also dropped 2 mcnabb passes in team drills

3) both portis and johnson seemingly still have incredible speed. i think the 20 lbs portis dropped has really helped him. each of them had a play where they broke out into open field, and when they turned on the jets, it was really impressive... particularly johnson

4) mcnabb and cooley have a really good connection. there were about 4 or 5 plays where mcnabb hit cooley for around 10 - 15 yards... near perfect throws. cooley seems to be his go-to guy.

5) lorenzo alexander looks really good rushing on the left side. i was really surprised - but he definitely wreaked a lot of havoc running in there. i didn't really get to see much of him dropping back into coverage - but he definitely gives carter a run for his money - him being 1st team makes sense.

6) deangelo hall picked off mcnabb - seemed like a mistake on mcnabb's part vs. hall actually working for the ball, but it was great to see some ballhawking going on. as someone said in the other thread, dude is wearing no. 2 now, which is weird. not sure if that's just for camp.

7) colt is still the clear no. 3, but i think bartel looks really good, particularly on the long ball. it will be an interesting battle for 3rd.

8) after practice, mcnabb was still out there doing sprints with bartel/brennan. it was pretty awesome to see his dedication to the game. grossman didn't participate.

9) speaking of grossman - he wasn't particularly good. it's not like anything was glaring, aside from a few balls chucked out of bounds. it just seems like he didn't do anything that made me feel better about him being one bad mcnabb hit away from being our starter

10) caught a glimpse of haynesworth out towards the very far end of the field at the end of practice. i don't think haslett was there - but, it should be noted that he was wearing a 92 redskins jersey... not sure if they've allowed him to put it on thurs/fri.

11) davis/cooley lined up together only once (that i noticed). i was super-psyched, because i can't wait until this combo screws with defenses' minds. cooley went into motion and davis ran a cross route. this left moss open on the left for an easy 10 yards.

i'll try to think of more. overall, for my first time observing them practice... i'd have to say that shanahan has this team on lock. he lets his coaches control their individual areas and roams frequently, keeping tabs on what's going on. you can tell that he is the leader. also, it was great to see k-shan so intimately involved with the offense, and mcnabb in particular.

this has me very optimistic for the season. it should be noted that i observed the whole practice, so if anyone has any particular questions, i'll do my best to answer them based on what i saw.

Great breakdown!

hail2skins
07-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for starting the thread cal.

Hey DaveK, check this out

http://www.hailredskins.com/?p=804#more-804

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Any time

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Man do I love our new QB. It's the class/professionalism of Jason Campbell + more talent and some active/vocal leadership.

I think we'll see the difference he makes from snap 1.

AMISHSKINSFAN
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
He's certainly better than anyone we've had for the past decade or so. I am seriously pumped for the upcoming season

DaveKShape
07-31-2010, 02:37 PM

Hey DaveK, check this out

http://www.hailredskins.com/?p=804#more-804

whoa... thanks! i am honored to grace the front page.

firehawk157
07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
whoa... thanks! i am honored to grace the front page.

How did you see Orakpo playing? I think he's going to do awesome but the only thing I've heard is when Trent Williams does well and by extension, he doesn't.

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
From Graham Gano's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/grahamgano/status/20013640662):

"Had a great day kicking today. 20-21. Nick and Josh did a good job snapping and holding."

DaveKShape
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
How did you see Orakpo playing? I think he's going to do awesome but the only thing I've heard is when Trent Williams does well and by extension, he doesn't.

i'd have to say orakpo is one of my (if not top) favorite players, so i had my eyes on him a lot during the day. williams did relatively well holding him, but one thing i noticed is that orakpo tried really hard to get loose and seemed to be a big nuisance for not only williams, but mcnabb. he never actually disrupted plays by physical contact, but you could tell that he was causing enough pressure to cause mcnabb to make a couple of quick decisions.

i came away from the situation happy in the sense that i felt they both gave each other talented competition.

DaveKShape
07-31-2010, 03:02 PM
it should be noted that overall, i came away with this feeling that the defense kind of had this "we are in your face. we will overwhelm you" feeling. the line/linebackers seemed like they were literally on top of the O line, and both corners played within 2 yards of the receivers. landry was about 6-7 yards back. it was so bizarre to see him that close.

to describe the feeling of our d in one word: oppressive

smave
07-31-2010, 03:03 PM
From Graham Gano's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/grahamgano/status/20013640662):

"Had a great day kicking today. 20-21. Nick and Josh did a good job snapping and holding."

Good to see a nice bond going on between the kicker/holder/snapper

LadyNRedskinsfan
07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Good stuff with the in depth reports. Keep up the good work! :awesomewo

smoak
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
The comment about Rex is why I think this is an 8-8 team. It's difficult for me to believe we'll go an entire season without needing a backup and sexy Rexy aint it.

smoak
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
it should be noted that overall, i came away with this feeling that the defense kind of had this "we are in your face. we will overwhelm you" feeling. the line/linebackers seemed like they were literally on top of the O line, and both corners played within 2 yards of the receivers. landry was about 6-7 yards back. it was so bizarre to see him that close.

to describe the feeling of our d in one word: oppressive

Great write up BTW!!!

HanburgerBum
07-31-2010, 04:17 PM

20 out of 21 when every attempt is under 40 yds and there is no one rushing and no game pressure at stake would hardly be what I would call "a great day kicking". Let's see what you do under pressure with the game on the line before you pat yourself on the back.

It is still puzzling to me that Shanahan has elected not to have another kicker in camp. Gano has essentially had only a cup of coffee in the NFL so far. And, even if Shana is convinced that Gano will win the job, wouldn't it be prudent to have another leg in camp to share the workload and prevent Gano from "burning out" his leg? Also, it would mean having the book on another kicker who will be familiar with the holder and snapper if Gano were to get hurt or found wanting during the season?

Further, the new snapper better be damn near perfect, because the old one--who was left go--was.

SKINSATIONAL
07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
20 out of 21 when every attempt is under 40 yds and there is no one rushing and no game pressure at stake would hardly be what I would call "a great day kicking". Let's see what you do under pressure with the game on the line before you pat yourself on the back.

It is still puzzling to me that Shanahan has elected not to have another kicker in camp. Gano has essentially had only a cup of coffee in the NFL so far. And, even if Shana is convinced that Gano will win the job, wouldn't it be prudent to have another leg in camp to share the workload and prevent Gano from "burning out" his leg? Also, it would mean having the book on another kicker who will be familiar with the holder and snapper if Gano were to get hurt or found wanting during the season?

Further, the new snapper better be damn near perfect, because the old one--who was left go--was.

AGREED. I think they are still waiting for another kicker to pick up behind the scenes.

shally
07-31-2010, 04:33 PM
and i worry a little about a kicker getting a dead leg from overuse during camp.. there is a fine line between getting into a groove and perfecting your technique. as opposed to kicking so much that a kicker wears himself out and damages the leg

firehawk157
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
and i worry a little about a kicker getting a dead leg from overuse during camp.. there is a fine line between getting into a groove and perfecting your technique. as opposed to kicking so much that a kicker wears himself out and damages the leg

I agree. Then again, it's not difficult to keep a leg fresh if you just don't kick that much. No one says there has to be X number of kicks in training camp.

hockeygoalie29
07-31-2010, 07:50 PM
...and both corners played within 2 yards of the receivers.

:eek:

You're telling me I won't have to scream at the TV on 3rd and 3 when our corners are lined up 10 yards off their man? Wow, what a concept. I am really looking forward to watching what an aggressive defense looks like this year after suffering through the passive crap Blache put together.

HanburgerBum
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
AGREED. I think they are still waiting for another kicker to pick up behind the scenes.

I would have had another kicker starting from day one of TC instead of the seemingly endless number of WRs and Dlinemen. But, later is better than never.

cal_junior
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsS8ZjXgmfU

HanburgerBum
08-01-2010, 02:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsS8ZjXgmfU

I am not saying Gano has never kicked a pressure FG before in his life. But, let's see him do it consistently at this level (when his livelihood is at stake) before I am going to anoint him a legitimate NFL kicker.

Also, I don't like to see players pat themselves on the back. That he had "a great day kicking" is for others to say, not him. Moreover, as I said, converting 20 out of 21 attempts under 40 yds when there are no rushers and relatively nothing at stake is nothing to shout about.

BurgundyNGold
08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I've mentioned this before but I just wanted to reiterate...

Terrance Austin will be our diamond in the rough/sleeper pick. He was a sprinter in high school and did high jump and long jump. He broke records at UCLA and Shanny has already mentioned how "smart" he is to come in late and already start picking up the offense. It's a wrap...I'm moving him up the depth chart in Madden! GO SKINS!!!

WEEK ONE: REDSKINS 1-0 DALLAS 0-1 :moon1:
I think Austen will be a good return guy, but I'm not seeing this speed that folks are high on. He ran a 4.43 at his pro day, which isn't bad, but it's not even in the top 2 among receivers on the team that I can think about. Santana Moss is no doubt faster than 4.43 and Devin Thomas ran a 4.32 at the combine. I think Austen has good return instincts, but he's not a speed demon.

This Gano kid seems to be turning some heads. I'd love to find a good, homegrown K.

cal_junior
08-01-2010, 04:50 PM
But, let's see him do it consistently at this level (when his livelihood is at stake) before I am going to anoint him a legitimate NFL kicker.

I'd argue his livelihood is absolutely at stake right now. If he was 17 for 21 the Skins would start bringing in new guys.

Can't complain the guy isn't make regular season-level kicks in late July. We're simply not there yet.