PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, McDaniels fined $50K each

CarMike
11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL fined the Denver Broncos and coach Josh McDaniels $50,000 each because the team's video operations director broke league rules by filming a San Francisco 49ers practice in London last month.

The NFL investigation determined Steve Scarnecchia took the six-minute video of the walkthrough and presented it that day to McDaniels. The coach declined to view it.

But the NFL fined both the coach and team because the matter was not promptly reported, as required by the league.

"We certainly did not view or do anything with the footage, and he was made aware that it was something we didn't condone in our organization," McDaniels said Saturday. "I failed to follow through and report it to the proper individuals in our organization and with the league."

Scarnecchia and McDaniels previously worked for the New England Patriots, who were found to have violated league rules when they videotaped New York Jets coaches sending in signals during a game four years ago in a scandal dubbed Spygate.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said the team was aware Scarnecchia had been involved in Spygate, but not the specifics, when hired.

"He knew full well coming in what was expected of him in terms of the type of behavior we expect out of him," Ellis said on a conference call.

Scarnecchia was fired by the Broncos and notified by commissioner Roger Goodell that as a repeat violator of league rules regarding integrity he faced a hearing to determine if he would be banned from the NFL.

NFL executive vice president Jeff Pash said there was no evidence McDaniels was involved with the videotaping in New England.

The investigation concerned practices at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 30, the day before the 49ers' 24-16 win over the Broncos. It was the only time the teams worked out on the same field in London.

Ellis said the Broncos promptly notified the NFL after their executives learned of the violation. He declined to reveal how they became aware.

"Their ownership and executives had their moral compass pointing in right direction," Pash said.

He added: "I think they've set an example of how an incident of this type should be properly handled."

Sure you didn't Joshey! Just like Belicheat didn't do it...You learned from the best!

give_portis_the_rock
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Didn't they lose that game anyway?

Farmer Ted
11-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I admit I don't even know what goes on during a walk-through, but can you really learn anything from 6 minutes of video of another team's walk-through? Did Singletary have his pants on?

CarMike
11-28-2010, 06:38 AM
I admit I don't even know what goes on during a walk-through, but can you really learn anything from 6 minutes of video of another team's walk-through? Did Singletary have his pants on?

That's not the point. He cheated just like the man he used to coach for. It's wrong. Period. He tried to get the upper hand on a team that his team was about to play.

Cheating is cheating.

Farmer Ted
11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I wasn't commenting on the morality of what they did. I just wonder what they thought they could possibly learn from a 6 minute video of a walk-though. They probably learned that a team that flew to London from Charlotte on a sunday had a lot more energy than a team that flew from Denver on a thursday.

I'm also not sure why Goodell just slapped them on the wrist with small fines instead of looking into it longer and taking away a draft pick. That guy is such a douche. He probably burned all the evidence as well.

It's also kind of funny that the Broncos outed themselves on this. The way I see it, there are two reasons to do it: 1. Joe Ellis thought the Broncos were going to get caught, so it would be better to report it to the league to lessen the damage. Or 2. Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen are fed up with McDaniels, and this is the beginning of the end for him. Or the end of the end. I'm leaning towards #2. Why else would the Broncos put themselves through this embarrassment unless they were doing it to hang McDouche out to dry?

WarEagle
11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Both had previously worked for the NE Patriots. Hmmmm. Maybe BB was innocent all along. These bozos on his staff went rogue, looks like.