PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here willing to admit that Grossman played better than they thought he would?

Oregonian
12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Just curious.

There were some pretty dire predictions.

akhhorus
12-19-2010, 03:49 PM
He played better than I thought he would, but he still played pretty badly when Dallas' defense gave a crap.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I expected him to have 2 turnovers. He had 3. I also expected maybe 1 or 2 TD. He had 4. So, yeah, I think he played better than I expected.

But that's what you get with Rex. He's capable of putting up 3 or 4 TDs. But he's twice as likely to have 3 or 4 turnovers. Today, we got both from him. You will never win with him consistently, which makes him ultimately unplayable.

Goskins11
i will. i thought he would come out and stink it up. he did cost this team with his turnovers, but 4 td's.wow. thats exciting but thats excatly was rex is. he shows flashes of good but is crap most of the time.
I think the defense lost this game though.

CNYSkinFan
better then i thought but still in many senses cost us the game. Not just the ending INT but the two turnovers that led to 14 points by Dallas as well.

fent
12-19-2010, 03:52 PM
He was better than expected, though the bad INT on the 5th pass attempt beat even my prediction of 8. He had some awful plays and some nice plays. He also had some awful floaters that ended up inexplicably turning into big plays. I'll give him credit for one good game, but when the game was on the line and the Cowboys actually dialed up a defensive scheme, he was downright awful.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 03:52 PM
He was much better than I thought he would be.

I expected something similar to McNabb's stats against Dallas:

15-30, 150 yards, 1TD, 1INT, plus maybe a fumble.

akhhorus
12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I expected him to have 2 turnovers. He had 3. I also expected maybe 1 or 2 TD. He had 4. So, yeah, I think he played better than I expected.

But that's what you get with Rex. He's capable of putting up 3 or 4 TDs. But he's twice as likely to have 3 or 4 turnovers. Today, we got both from him. You will never win with him consistently, which makes him ultimately unplayable.

Iron Pyrite.

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
he played a whole lot better than i predicted,but in the end losing is losing,and the skins seem to find a way to do that!

BurgundyNGold
i will. i thought he would come out and stink it up. he did cost this team with his turnovers, but 4 td's.wow. thats exciting but thats excatly was rex is. he shows flashes of good but is crap most of the time.
I think the defense lost this game though.
It's hard to make a counterargument when the defense gives up 33 points. Haslett sucks, that's the real story.

justinskins
12-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I already ate some crow in the Grossman thread, but I might as well do it here as well. He played much, much better than I thought he would. Better than I think McNabb would have played had he started instead of Grossman. Benching McNabb looks like a pretty good decision to me after today's game. I'd lay this loss more at the feet of the defense than of the offense.

That being said, Grossman needs to cut down on the bad decisions if he really wants to start regularly in this league again. Especially egregious were the sacks he took during the penultimate Skins drive, which set up Dallas with great field position at a critical juncture, and the pick to seal the loss. My concern is that, at this point in his career, those bad decisions aren't going to change.

CarMike
12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Not me. I predicted he would play well.

LOL at the ones here that were so dire.

Let me add, he's not the future. But I thought he'd play well against dallass defense.

EDIT: Let me add. It's pretty funny to see BMitch act the way he is on ComCast. You can tell it is REALLY hurting him to see Grossman play the way he did today. It was nice to see no balls landing at the feet of our WRs for a change.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Iron Pyrite.
Yep. And the Shanahans are up at the courthouse filing a claim.

FunBunch5
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
The defense is getting a lot of blame for giving up 33 points as they should. Don't forget Rex's 2 turnovers put the defense in a bad position.

It is a bad combination that has a QB that likes to give the ball away with a defense that can't stop anybody.

I was defintely pleased with the 30 points and I think we win if Rex turns the ball over just once. Next year that Defense needs to be fixed and we need a starting QB with Rex as the backup.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I already ate some crow in the Grossman thread, but I might as well do it here as well. He played much, much better than I thought he would. Better than I think McNabb would have played had he started instead of Grossman. Benching McNabb looks like a pretty good decision to me after today's game. I'd lay this loss more at the feet of the defense than of the offense.

That being said, Grossman needs to cut down on the bad decisions if he really wants to start regularly in this league again. Especially egregious were the sacks he took during the penultimate Skins drive, which set up Dallas with great field position at a critical juncture, and the pick to seal the loss. My concern is that, at this point in his career, those bad decisions aren't going to change.
Which, as I said when we signed him, makes him unplayable. He will always lose more games for you then he will win for you. He could have overcome the 14 points that his 2 turnovers produced and won the game. Instead, he took ill-advised sacks and threw a pick to end the game and seal the fact that his turnovers were the difference. In this way, he was classic Grossman today. But he was better than usual classic Grossman. He was platinum classic Grossman lol.

CarMike
12-19-2010, 04:05 PM
The defense is getting a lot of blame for giving up 33 points as they should. Don't forget Rex's 2 turnovers put the defense in a bad position.
I'm not putting the sack fumble on Grossman. He was sacked plenty of other times and didn't fumble. The OL is the cause for that one. The two picks however are on him. Which is what McNabb has done all year long. But without the 2nd half rally to almost win a game.

EDIT: The defense was horrible till the 4th quarter. They couldn't have stopped a high school teams offense. Which has been the case all season long.

akhhorus
12-19-2010, 04:07 PM

It is a bad combination that has a QB that likes to give the ball away with a defense that can't stop anybody.

I was defintely pleased with the 30 points and I think we win if Rex turns the ball over just once. Next year that Defense needs to be fixed and we need a starting QB with Rex as the backup.

DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!! DING!!!!

We have a winner. Grossman or McNabb, if the defense can't stop an elderly woman with the flu in a rusty wheelchair trying to roll uphill on an icy sheet of glass, then this team is going to fail. Grossman might move the ball better(but Jim Haslett laughs at the dallas pass defense), but he's going to make a hell of a lot more mistakes than McNabb will.

Oregonian
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
He played better than I thought he would too, but I never posted a prediction about his stats because I really didn't know how well or how poorly he might play. I did hold out that he might surprise, and he did to some extent. I did predict we would get steamrolled on defense.

In the end he made some great throws, some poor ones and we ended up losing. He nearly pulled it out, then ended on a sour note.

Watching the game, I think if the guy were bigger and more athletic he would have more long term potential. He does throw an accurate, catchable ball and executed well in the end zone.

I think he deserves another start.

firehawk157
12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
All in all, I think Grossman played better against the Cowboys than McNabb has all season with possible exception to the Texans' game. Three turnovers, two of which led to point, but I think that has a lot to do the defenses' lack of ability to stop anybody.

lorimike
12-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, Grossman played much better than I thought he would

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I know the Grossman's basher will not admit he had a decent game. After they said he would go like 4-30 50 yards and 0TD, 3 INTs, blah, blah, blah.

Well, here is the reality. He threw more TDs than McNabb has all year in a single game. Threw over 300 yds. He had a QB rating of 93. Without the last meaningless interception, he would gone over 100. His short passes are way more accurate. He impressively converted not 1, but 2 2-pt conversions. He completed some nice throws in heavy pressure.

I am not impress just after 1 game and certainly don't think he should be our future starting qb, but there is no way he is playing worse than McNabb based on this performance. Remember, he was very shaky in the first half, he got into the groove and played much much better in the 2nd half.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I know the Grossman's basher will not admit he had a decent game. After they said he would go like 4-30 50 yards and 0TD, 3 INTs, blah, blah, blah.

Well, here is the reality. He threw more TDs than McNabb has all year in a single game. Threw over 300 yds. He had a QB rating of 93. Without the last meaningless interception, he would gone over 100. His short passes are way more accurate. He impressively converted not 1, but 2 2-pt conversions. He completed some nice throws in heavy pressure.

I am not impress just after 1 game and certainly don't think he should be our future starting qb, but there is no way he is playing worse than McNabb based on this performance. Remember, he was very shaky in the first half, he got into the groove and played much much better in the 2nd half.
It sounds to me like you're on the Sexy Rexy bandwagon. Nobody doubts that he has talent. The problem is that for every 2 or 3 TD game, he has 2 games where he throws 2 or 3 picks. I also find it convenient that you consider his final INT to be "meaningless" and that you ignore the fact that his 2 other turnovers led directly to 14 Dallass points. One could easily make just as convincing an argument that Grossman lost this game more than he almost won it.

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
It sounds to me like you're on the Sexy Rexy bandwagon. Nobody doubts that he has talent. The problem is that for every 2 or 3 TD game, he has 2 games where he throws 2 or 3 picks. I also find it convenient that you consider his final INT to be "meaningless" and that you ignore the fact that his 2 other turnovers led directly to 14 Dallass points. One could easily make just as convincing an argument that Grossman lost this game more than he almost won it.

I am not on his bandwagon. I said I am not impressed after 1 game. First of all, Rex has started 1 game for the Skins. To say that he will have a horrible game next outing is pure speculation unless you can predict the future. His first interception was bad and he had a fumble deep in our territory. But they were in the first half. Many here predicted the Cowboys to destroy us. Consider this is Rex first start in more than 2 years and he kept us in the game till the very end, I think he easily exceeds expectation. I cannot annoint him as our future starting qb from 1 game and most likely his ability will prevent him from doing so. But the point is, he is no worse than our high price ex-starting QB.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I am not on his bandwagon. I said I am not impressed after 1 game. First of all, Rex has started 1 game for the Skins. To say that he will have a horrible game next outing is pure speculation unless you can predict the future. His first interception was bad and he had a fumble deep in our territory. But they were in the first half. Many here predicted the Cowboys to destroy us. Consider this is Rex first start in more than 2 years and he kept us in the game till the very end, I think he easily exceeds expectation. I cannot annoint him as our future starting qb from 1 game and most likely his ability will prevent him from doing so. But the point is, he is no worse than our high price ex-starting QB.
I can speculate that, based on his past performance, he will have 3 bad games out of every 5. That's about how his career has gone. Otherwise, he's still be in Chicago. Or Houston. Or somewhere that needs a consistent QB.

GloryHog
12-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought we (the Redskins) should find out what we had in Grossman (a decent back up), and lose and many games as possible, as discretely as possible. So far, I'd say it's all going per plan.

Oregonian
12-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I can speculate that, based on his past performance, he will have 3 bad games out of every 5. That's about how his career has gone. Otherwise, he's still be in Chicago. Or Houston. Or somewhere that needs a consistent QB.

OK, looks like you are getting ready to put your prediction out there for Grossman's performance next week.

Playing the odds as you see them, it is very likely to be bad.

Let's see.

GibbsFan
12-19-2010, 05:06 PM
rex had a much better game than I expected. unfortunately, we lost. much more than the cowboy game. shanny was really feeling himself in postgame, talking about "I know this game" and his head really to seem to swell as he spoke. get ready for a lot of pain in the coming seasons... :smash:

firehawk157
12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
rex had a much better game than I expected. unfortunately, we lost. much more than the cowboy game. shanny was really feeling himself in postgame, talking about "I know this game" and his head really to seem to swell as he spoke. get ready for a lot of pain in the coming seasons... :smash:

Like it or not, Shanahan has been right for this ONE game. Whether or not Grossman does well later on, he has done better for this one game than McNabb has all year.

cactusjack
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Not saying Rex was good by any means but scoring 30 points today solidifies the fact #5 is done. This team has so many needs....its going to take seasons, yes seasons to get better and be competitive week in and week out. We might as well draft Luck,Mallet,Newton who ever is there with our 1st rounder.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I think he played ok and it was just a bit better than I thought. He still threw off his back foot way too many times for me and the worst part was that he made throws without consideration for the coverage. That is a no-no in my book. Even after this game, I have no confidence in him at all. Maybe as a backup but defintely not as a starter.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Let me also add that Dallas's defense relaxed on Grossman which helped him a bit. They stopped bring pressure and that was a mistake on their part. When they did, you saw what happened late in the game.

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Let me also add that Dallas's defense relaxed on Grossman which helped him a bit. They stopped bring pressure and that was a mistake on their part. When they did, you saw what happened late in the game.

How many qb(s) took their team down the field for a score(TD/FG) in the last 55sec this season barring a Hail Mary miracle TD? Just curious.

WarEagle
12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Considering what I was expecting, he did a great job in hostile territory. Pretty bad when we're all better looking than the starting QB though.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 05:28 PM
How many qb(s) took their team down the field for a score(TD/FG) in the last 55sec this season barring a Hail Mary miracle TD?How many QB's throw an INT when they need a field goal and only need 23 yards to get into field goal position?

Redskinmayhem
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
He played better than I thought but the cowturds are just a tine bit less hapless than the Skins. Besides, when it counted, Rexy couldn't get rid of the ball without throwing a pick or being sacked.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
OK, looks like you are getting ready to put your prediction out there for Grossman's performance next week.

Playing the odds as you see them, it is very likely to be bad.

Let's see.
3 out of 5 is his career trend. So, the odds are pretty good that he'll throw another 2 picks or have a game with more picks than TDs.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Like it or not, Shanahan has been right for this ONE game. Whether or not Grossman does well later on, he has done better for this one game than McNabb has all year.
See, I don't see that we can definitively say that. We lost the game. How is that any better than losing the game by 10 or 20 or 30 points? He made the move in an efort to win the game. By that measure, Shanny failed.

What further undermine's Shanny's position is that, with McNabb under center, we won las time we faced Dallass.

akhhorus
12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
3 out of 5 is his career trend. So, the odds are pretty good that he'll throw another 2 picks or have a game with more picks than TDs.

Here's the gamelog of his best season in Chicago:
http://www.nfl.com/players/rexgrossman/gamelogs?id=GRO597298&season=2006

A lot of Meh there. Basically averaged 170 yards/1.3 TDs/1.3 Ints/1.3 Sacks a game. And he had a defense giving him the ball a lot.

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
How many QB's throw an INT when they need a field goal and only need 23 yards to get into field goal position?

Haha. I assume you don't know the answer for my question. It's ok to say you don't know.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Considering what I was expecting, he did a great job in hostile territory. Pretty bad when we're all better looking than the starting QB though.
Given the Redskins record at home this season, I think FedEx might be considered most hostile lol.

Redskinmayhem
12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Here's the gamelog of his best season in Chicago:
http://www.nfl.com/players/rexgrossman/gamelogs?id=GRO597298&season=2006

A lot of Meh there. Basically averaged 170 yards/1.3 TDs/1.3 Ints/1.3 Sacks a game. And he had a defense giving him the ball a lot.

the numbers of a true "journeyman" qb.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Like it or not, Shanahan has been right for this ONE game. Whether or not Grossman does well later on, he has done better for this one game than McNabb has all year.How is that, we still lost the game. McNabb got us to a point to tie the game last week only to see the extra point botched.

LadyNRedskinsfan
12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Rex played well enough to win.....and well enough to lose. Thats what he does. His four TDs brought us back, but its turnovers helped get us behind. Still no running game. He still got sacked 5 times. The defense still sucked. Different QB, same result.

WarEagle
12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Given the Redskins record at home this season, I think FedEx might be considered most hostile lol.

lol.

Patrick
12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
LMAO....... to play better than I thought he would have had to WIN the fricken game. He didn't and that's what I thought would happen!

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
See, I don't see that we can definitively say that. We lost the game. How is that any better than losing the game by 10 or 20 or 30 points?
It certainly keep the fans interested in watching the game on both sides. It was kind of a fun game to watch especially in the 2nd half. It has been a while since I feel like the Skins can go down the field and score.

He made an efort to win the game. By that measure, Shanny failed.
He said he has seen enough of what McNabb can do and wanted to evaluate Grossman. I never get the impression that he said Grossman will have a better chance to win this game than McNabb.

What further undermine's Shanny's position is that, with McNabb under center, we won las time we faced Dallass.

It seems like you think it is a guaranteed win had McNabb started?

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 05:50 PM
LMAO....... to play better than I thought he would have had to WIN the fricken game. He didn't and that's what I thought would happen!

Unless I miss understood, in order for Grossman to play up to your standard, Grossman needs to be 16-0 in a season?

Keino
12-19-2010, 05:52 PM

This.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd still like to know whether Sexy or Sellers was to blame for the first pick. Certainly one of them was doing completely the wrong thing.

Keino
12-19-2010, 05:56 PM
It's hard to make a counterargument when the defense gives up 33 points. Haslett sucks, that's the real story.

I can't put it completely on the defense when Dallas had what, one series begin on their own side of the 50.

Keino
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd still like to know whether Sexy or Sellers was to blame for the first pick. Certainly one of them was doing completely the wrong thing.

That later they completed the same play on the same route run by Sellers leads me to believe that it was on Rex.

Patrick
12-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Unless I miss understood, in order for Grossman to play up to your standard, Grossman needs to be 16-0 in a season? I believe the question was meaning his play for THIS game ...... don't understand your 16-0 reference (especially seeing how they have only played 14 games)

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
That later they completed the same play on the same route run by Sellers leads me to believe that it was on Rex.

Guess it depends whether the route is determined pre-snap or the two players are supposed to read the coverage.

Keino
12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Guess it depends whether the route is determined pre-snap or the two players are supposed to read the coverage.

Considering the flat was pretty much covered, it would be hard to argue that Sellers made the wrong read.....But maybe he was supposed to break the route off if the QB & he read blitz...

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
This is easy. It was on Rex. Notice how he was off balance on his back foot. Notice the coverage on Sellers and how close it was.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I take it you think it was Seller's fault.

Dolla Bill
12-19-2010, 06:15 PM
He did play better than what I thought he would of; with only half the snaps with the starters for maybe 2 weeks.

hail2skins
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Guess it depends whether the route is determined pre-snap or the two players are supposed to read the coverage.Even if Sellers ran the wrong route and should have stayed in the flat, the coverage was there which means Rex should have come off of it.

IH Brave
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't put it completely on the defense when Dallas had what, one series begin on their own side of the 50.

Thank you. They were put in a bad spot. I looked up Dallas' starting field position for the game and it follows:

1- DAL 46 (FG)
2- WSH 30 (Goal line stand by the defense)
3- WAS 27 (TD)
4- WAS 35 (FG)

1st 4 drives and their worst starting position was their own 46 and only came away with 13 points. I'm not upset about that.

5- DAL 9 (TD)
Now that drive is pitiful, but I'm not expecting the defense to make too
many stops. It was only a matter of time before they would break.

6- DAL 21 (Missed FG)- Good break
7- WAS 15 (TD)
8- DAL 18 (FG)
9- DAL 20 (Punt)
10- DAL 23 (Punt)
11- DAL 48 (FG)

4 times the Cowpukes started in Redskins territory. 2 other times they started near midfield. I already know the Redskins defense sucks. I would have expected them to give up 28 in the 1st 4 drives, but they didn't. As far as I'm concerned they did okay.

Grossman and the special teams gave Dallas a short field most of the game. As far as Grossman playing better than I thought. Yes he did. But that's not saying much. Sure he brought the Redskins back, but it's mostly because of his turnovers and inability to move the offense which resulted from punting inside their own 35 yard line.

Keino
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Thank you. They were put in a bad spot. I looked up Dallas' starting field position for the game and it follows:

1- DAL 46 (FG)
2- WSH 30 (Goal line stand by the defense)
3- WAS 27 (TD)
4- WAS 35 (FG)

1st 4 drives and their worst starting position was their own 46 and only came away with 13 points. I'm not upset about that.

5- DAL 9 (TD)
Now that drive is pitiful, but I'm not expecting the defense to make too
many stops. It was only a matter of time before they would break.

6- DAL 21 (Missed FG)- Good break
7- WAS 15 (TD)
8- DAL 18 (FG)
9- DAL 20 (Punt)
10- DAL 23 (Punt)
11- DAL 48 (FG)

4 times the Cowpukes started in Redskins territory. 2 other times they started near midfield. I already know the Redskins defense sucks. I would have expected them to give up 28 in the 1st 4 drives, but they didn't. As far as I'm concerned they did okay.

Grossman and the special teams gave Dallas a short field most of the game. As far as Grossman playing better than I thought. Yes he did. But that's not saying much. Sure he brought the Redskins back, but it's mostly because of his turnovers and inability to move the offense which resulted from punting inside their own 35 yard line.

Exactly. The only reason we were in the game, even with putting up 30 points is because Dallas left a bunch of points on the field. We were lucky to be behind by 13 for most of the game and it is Grossman's turnovers that led directly to starting on our 15 and 27 yardlines, respectively.

I can certainly admit that Rex performed much better than I anticipated, but ultimately, he was exactly who we thought he was. He is entirely too careless with the football. Further, I think that with similar playcalling and no dropped passes (amazing what happens when receiving targets catch the damn ball) McNabb would have had a similar day.

cactusjack
12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
#5 has a 77.1 qb rating and Rex still turns the ball over.
Why in the world is any true redskin fan defending either one of these guys?
Bottom line at this point in the careers of these two they are both better off being backups or out of the league.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
#5 has a 77.1 qb rating and Rex still turns the ball over.
Why in the world is any true redskin fan defending either one of these guys?
Bottom line at this point in the careers of these two they are both better off being backups or out of the league.

+1

We have two quarterbacks I'd rather have as the back-up. I want to keep Grossman only because he'll be dramatically cheaper.

JasonCampbell
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth

Grossman: "I felt like I played as well as I could have, and I tried as hard as I could have. It's up to you guys [in the media] to decide all those things. I can never be fully happy without a victory. I'm glad we got a chance to move the ball and put up some points."

I'm gonna go ahead and pass on a QB that thinks 3 turnover is as good as he can play against a pretty poor defense, lol.

InsomniaKiller
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Grossman played really well, and I'm glad we're taking the last few games to take a closer look at him. It's not some random coincidence that his first start ends up being our highest scoring game of the season. It looks even better when you compare it to what McNabb did against Dallas during week 1, and that was when Dallas was playing all-around terrible football.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and pass on a QB that thinks 3 turnover is as good as he can play against a pretty poor defense, lol.

Keep in mind how long it's been since he started a game. Rust is to be expected and Sexy did seem to get better as the game went along

silverspring
12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
If you subtract the 3 turn overs I would say he played pretty decent, but unfortunately you can't subtract the three turnovers.

Either way we know he isn't the answer. But I will give him this, the team probably wouldn't have done better or worse with mcnabb in there.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
If you subtract the 3 turn overs I would say he played pretty decent, but unfortunately you can't subtract the three turnovers.

The guy throws four TDs (a career-best) for a team which had 14 the entire season, has the second 300-yard game of his career and we end up with our season-best game in terms of points scored.

And you won't even give him "pretty decent"? Tough room, lol.

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
But I will give him this, the team probably wouldn't have done better or worse with mcnabb in there.

I agree. I have been emphasizing this as the take home point. At least for 1 game, Grossman proves he is as good/bad as McNabb.

Lacquer Head
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Considering I was one of the few people who thought he would do okay, not at all.

Skins3
12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Grossman played well but the turnovers and the fact that he was rusty in the 1st half is what cost us the game. yes the defense did give up 33 points......BUTTTTTT the 1st 4 times the cowboys got the ball 3 times they were inside our 40yd line and the score was only 13-0 after this.

I again blame this loss on the coach mike shanahan for cutting
hunter smith the guy who replaced him had a 26yd average WOW. Waiting for Mike to release himself.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
It certainly keep the fans interested in watching the game on both sides. It was kind of a fun game to watch especially in the 2nd half. It has been a while since I feel like the Skins can go down the field and score.
Agreed. Yet, it was depressingly familiar to come out of Little D with another "L".

He said he has seen enough of what McNabb can do and wanted to evaluate Grossman. I never get the impression that he said Grossman will have a better chance to win this game than McNabb.
There's no othe reason to play a QB in a rivalry game than you believe he gives you the best chance to win. But, for the sake of argument, if he wanted to see what people can do, he should have been consistent with his premise. He should have started Cook and Harris. He should have elevated Capers and gotten him some reps. He should have put Terrance Austin in for a few snaps instead of that Tin Man Roydell Williams. As is often the case with Shanny, his actions belie his words.

It seems like you think it is a guaranteed win had McNabb started?
Nothing is guaranteed, but I think the odds were better that we win with McNabb behind center. As it turns out, it probably didn't matter. Peyton Manning could have played behind Rabach and it wouldn't have matter very much.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Grossman played really well, and I'm glad we're taking the last few games to take a closer look at him. It's not some random coincidence that his first start ends up being our highest scoring game of the season. It looks even better when you compare it to what McNabb did against Dallas during week 1, and that was when Dallas was playing all-around terrible football.
Week 1 was before Dallass had any injuries and still had the mindset that they were a good football team destined for the playoffs. Don't underestimate the huge value of a team's self efficacy. It is often the sole reason that a team with 8-8 talent goes 11-5 or 5-11.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
The guy throws four TDs (a career-best) for a team which had 14 the entire season, has the second 300-yard game of his career and we end up with our season-best game in terms of points scored.

And you won't even give him "pretty decent"? Tough room, lol.
If this team could play the Week 15 Dallass defense every week, they'd have a whole lot more TDs lol.

Points allowed by the Dallass defense over the last month:

tribeinca
12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Agreed. Yet, it was depressingly familiar to come out of Little D with another "L".

I feel your frustration, especially a loss to the Boys. But when we get our young qb next draft, with some weapons and protection, I think this team can return to glory under Mike.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I feel your frustration, especially a loss to the Boys. But when we get our young qb next draft, with some weapons and protection, I think this team can return to glory under Mike.
We'll be talking World Cup again by the time that happens lol.

TrueOracle
12-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Since I lived through Rex-era in Chicago, I can't say I'm surprised by his performance. 4 TD's??? No, I didn't expect that. 3 turnovers resulting in point for the other team? That's Rex. Coming out in the first drive in the 2nd half and giving the ball back on our side of the field? Yep, all day. Throwing the int on the last drive of the game in the 2 minute drill (that he's supposed to run so well)?? Yep, he's the consummate choke chain wearer but yes, I did expect that - and many of you should learn to expect it too.

Fact is, they announced Rex as the starting QB once the defensive game plan was set. dallASS didn't put in anything new for him and he still wound up being the 3rd stringer he should be. Wait until Jax and the Gnats show up with a pop-warner plan for him i.e. spy the backs leaking out into the alleys and flats and blitz him up the gut. Result - multiple picks and tons of mistakes.

But now all of a sudden, since he and Kyle were bunk buddies in Houston, he's now turned the corner? Now he's worthy of being "given a shot." Worthy??? For what??? For lapping Kyle's ____?? That's how he became WORTHY???

Gimme a break with all this "Rex is a great option" garbage. We won't win another game this year and I don't care how many starters the Gnats sit. For all you believers... You'll see.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Since I lived through Rex-era in Chicago, I can't say I'm surprised by his performance. 4 TD's??? No, I didn't expect that. 3 turnovers resulting in point for the other team? That's Rex. Coming out in the first drive in the 2nd half and giving the ball back on our side of the field? Yep, all day. Throwing the int on the last drive of the game in the 2 minute drill (that he's supposed to run so well)?? Yep, he's the consummate choke chain wearer but yes, I did expect that - and many of you should learn to expect it too.

Fact is, they announced Rex as the starting QB once the defensive game plan was set. dallASS didn't put in anything new for him and he still wound up being the 3rd stringer he should be. Wait until Jax and the Gnats show up with a pop-warner plan for him i.e. spy the backs leaking out into the alleys and flats and blitz him up the gut. Result - multiple picks and tons of mistakes.

But now all of a sudden, since he and Kyle were bunk buddies in Houston, he's now turned the corner? Now he's worthy of being "given a shot." Worthy??? For what??? For lapping Kyle's ____?? That's how he became WORTHY???

Gimme a break with all this "Rex is a great option" garbage. We won't win another game this year and I don't care how many starters the Gnats sit. For all you believers... You'll see.
Spoken like a true oracle. :awesomewo

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
We won't win another game this year and I don't care how many starters the Gnats sit. For all you believers... You'll see.

I now think this statement is true regardless of which of our three QBs is out there, IMO.

And based on having to battle Philly, Green Bay and New Orleans for a playoff spot I don't see the Giants sitting a single player for that game.

WinnpegSkinsFan
12-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Grossman is clearly not the answer but he played no worse than McNabb has this season.

cal_junior
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Grossman is clearly not the answer but he played no worse than McNabb has this season.

+1

Take away the fumble and I'd say he was slightly better than McNabb's been for virtually the entire year. With the fumble it was a wash. You can tell Grossman's a little bit more accurate and has better footwork than McNabb.

But we're in bad, bad shape if anybody in the Skins organization thinks Grossman's anything more than a back-up.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
+1

Take away the fumble and I'd say he was slightly better than McNabb's been for virtually the entire year. With the fumble it was a wash. You can tell Grossman's a little bit more accurate and has better footwork than McNabb.

But we're in bad, bad shape if anybody in the Skins organization thinks Grossman's anything more than a back-up.
They both have lousy footwork. After all these years in the league, you'd figure that one of these two dolts would have tried to correct their mechanical deficiencies by now.

welagamy
12-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Better hmmmmm........I thought during the week that we would lose with "Sexy Rexy" at the helm......well my thoughts were right....I am not a big fan of stats. I would rather have our qb go 14-30 190 yds 1 td and WIN....and leave all the stats for fantasy football. Grossman is not our future, maybe McNabb isnt either....but what either way our Oline does not support the idea of winning......so until that changes no one will be consistent behind them. For example....Campbell leaves and goes to Oakland, supposedly a worse them and they are still in the hunt for a playoff spot 14 weeks into the season.....

Walid

skinfanjon
12-19-2010, 09:59 PM

It seems you are stuck on repeat today concerning Grossman, you're starting to sound like lorimike and his draft picks.

Were gonna end up starting Rex next year. I mean really, who else that's available is gonna come in here and win over the coaching staff? Its either that or play a 1st round rookie to be, and even then id be surprised to see him start day 1. I don't love the idea, but I just don't see a lot of options out there right now.

Imo, grossman makes a decent backup, there are some clipboard holders in this league that are completely incapable of moving an offense, he can at least do that. We need to groom a qb of the future, but mcnabb...grossman...beck....random FA stiff...its all the same thing. At least with rex at the helm there won't be expectations.

shally
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
+1

Grossman is a solid back up

BUT

at this point in his career McNabb isnt any better. plus, Grossman had 2 years of rust to scrape off. McNabb has no such excuse

it really doesnt matter, however, because Shanahan decided that McNabb wasnt right for the offense. his vote is the only one that matters

colkurtz
12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Grossman played better than I thought he would - even if it is against a weak pass defense. Grossman also has been sitting for two seasons. Maybe he can be the #2 or #3 QB.

But until this team is willing to invest it's #1 draft pick for a QB we will not have a consistent offense. I think McKnabb will be traded for draft picks but my biggest desire now is for Haslett to go. Top 10 to last place in the defense? We'll never win games if we have to score 35+ points every game.

redskin_rich
12-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought the result was about the same. Grossman has no mobility and throws more of a floater ball but the offense was no better and was way too pass heavy. I know we were behind for a lot of the game and had to throw but there were a few short yardage, 2nd down situations where we went pass instead of run and once we tied up the game, we got the ball with around 4:40 left on the clock, passed 7 times in a row, got two first downs but ended punting from where we started, inside the 10 and didn't even burn a minute from the clock. Stupid!!! Playcalling, especially in crucial times is horrible.

Also, two of our scoring drives were kept alive by questionable penalties, one in particular (the roughing the QB) was absolutely ridiculous.

Bottom line; the defense still is horrendous and the offense has no identity. Both coordinators should be sent packing and the head guy needs to shelf his ego until he actually accomplishes something here.

Regardless of how McNabb has played or how Grossman played today, Donavon deserves to be treated with class and he wasn't. It's embarrassing to me, as a fan, to see a professional like McNabb, that has handled himself with the utmost of class, get treated in such a manner. This isn't what the Redskins are about and if it is, I don't want any part of it.

To be clear, I'm not questioning the decision, I'm questioning the timing and how it has been handled.

Oh, and those of you that ridiculed me weeks back when I suggested that Shanny Jr was behind all this nonsense of playing Grossman over McNabb, feel free to man up or just go the f*** away now. I'm sick of being right and you ****** going silent. I don't forget anything and I'm going to start calling you bitches out.

TrueOracle
12-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh, and those of you that ridiculed me weeks back when I suggested that Shanny Jr was behind all this nonsense of playing Grossman over McNabb, feel free to man up or just go the f*** away now. I'm sick of being right and you pussies going silent. I don't forget anything and I'm going to start calling you bitches out.

Here, here! Can't say I called it but the "Lil 'tardo" has thrown this organization into an unrecoverable tailspin. I never thought I'd say it but I'd love for the Danny to get re-acquainted with Ashburn. I've had enough of Shanahan already.

NCskinsfanatic
12-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Didn't see the game, read the box stats, saw a few highlights. Seems like Rex knows the O better and is more adept at the short to intermediate game and McNabb has struggled producing in the short game while trying to learn the system. He has been been plagued by inaccuracy while throwing a ton of picks(much like Grossman is known for).

Ultimately Rex is a solid back up and could be a spot starter in a pinch but isnt a long term solution or a guy you build a franchise around. We're likely looking to go QB in the draft and we're trying to see if Rex can hold the spot while the rookie learns by playing no worse than Donovan has for less money.

I know many will disagree but McNabb's contract isnt ridiculous next season and Rex could finish poorly or it could become evident we dont have a shot at the QB we want in April...any of which could lead us to retain Donovan. He's under contract, could use more time in the O, a better OL, and a few weapons in both the passing and run games. I just dont think Shanny cuts bait without obtaining a 3rd-4th rounder for him. Unless Rex plays lights out in the final two weeks I could see Shanny entertaining a QB competition, especially if McNabb seemed genuinely up for the challenge this offseason. Much like I doubt AH will be released without some form of compensation, I dont see us giving Mcnabb up for nothing.

colkurtz
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I'll eat crow and say I didn't think Grossman would do this well. Still he's at best a clipboard guy.

The critical test for Shannihan is to see whether he can fire Haslett or his son this season. Personally I think they'll scapegoat Haslett and fire him, then draft a QB which gives them a couple years to boom or bust with. How about bomb or bust?

Anyway, Shannihan is going to have to show that he can deal with the players. AH made his bed, but I agree with B&G - Donovan is a class guy and should be treated as such, even if we're dumping him.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 11:32 PM
It seems you are stuck on repeat today concerning Grossman, you're starting to sound like lorimike and his draft picks.
Until he proves me wrong (and his 3 turnovers today didn't exactly buck his trend for being careless with the football), I'm going to go with his track record, with is pretty established.

Were gonna end up starting Rex next year. I mean really, who else that's available is gonna come in here and win over the coaching staff? Its either that or play a 1st round rookie to be, and even then id be surprised to see him start day 1. I don't love the idea, but I just don't see a lot of options out there right now.
Starting QB in the NFL is like bing a HC in the NFL -- there are exactly 32 jobs in the whole world. In the end, people almost always take the job rather than sit at home or be a backup somewhere else.

Imo, grossman makes a decent backup, there are some clipboard holders in this league that are completely incapable of moving an offense, he can at least do that. We need to groom a qb of the future, but mcnabb...grossman...beck....random FA stiff...its all the same thing. At least with rex at the helm there won't be expectations.
I don't think that correlates to Danny's MO lol. He needs to get the Hopewagon up and running in February or March to sell tickets and jerseys lol.

BurgundyNGold
12-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I thought the result was about the same. Grossman has no mobility and throws more of a floater ball but the offense was no better and was way too pass heavy. I know we were behind for a lot of the game and had to throw but there were a few short yardage, 2nd down situations where we went pass instead of run and once we tied up the game, we got the ball with around 4:40 left on the clock, passed 7 times in a row, got two first downs but ended punting from where we started, inside the 10 and didn't even burn a minute from the clock. Stupid!!! Playcalling, especially in crucial times is horrible.

Also, two of our scoring drives were kept alive by questionable penalties, one in particular (the roughing the QB) was absolutely ridiculous.

Bottom line; the defense still is horrendous and the offense has no identity. Both coordinators should be sent packing and the head guy needs to shelf his ego until he actually accomplishes something here.
Hear, hear. And I would add Danny Smith to that list, honestly.

Regardless of how McNabb has played or how Grossman played today, Donavon deserves to be treated with class and he wasn't. It's embarrassing to me, as a fan, to see a professional like McNabb, that has handled himself with the utmost of class, get treated in such a manner. This isn't what the Redskins are about and if it is, I don't want any part of it.

To be clear, I'm not questioning the decision, I'm questioning the timing and how it has been handled.
Couldn't have said this better myself.

Oh, and those of you that ridiculed me weeks back when I suggested that Shanny Jr was behind all this nonsense of playing Grossman over McNabb, feel free to man up or just go the f*** away now. I'm sick of being right and you pussies going silent. I don't forget anything and I'm going to start calling you bitches out.
Damn, you're on a roll tonight lol.

If it makes you feel any better, I felt the same way you did but I didn't really say anything. Mostly because I didn't see where you had posted it. But even then, I might not have said too much because what you were suggesting was pretty obviously correct. You could see it was early as Week 2 against Houston when McNabb was rolling his eyes at K-Shanny from the huddle when the calls were coming in. This was supported by K-Shanny's inability to keep a poker face when Kelli Johnson interviewed him about McNabb this week.

cactusjack
12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
What he double L is the piont of this thread?
To see how many will cling to DMac? To see how many love or hate Rex?
News flash we owe DMac nothing! He has performed horribly all season long. His best days are behind him. We invested a second round pick for a whopping 77.1 qb rating. Sorry he might be a nice guy, but he no longer has the skills of a starting quarterback in this league. Philly knew this and traded him within the division. Hello they got one over on us. He does not need to be here.
Rex is craptacular as well as proven by turning the ball over repeatedly. His only up side is he is cheap. He is one of two things a back up or out the damn door too. The franchise has two options either draft a qb or sell the farm to buy one. We have no better shot of winning games with either one of these guys. Skill players need to have skills and these two dont have game winning skills.

give_portis_the_rock
12-20-2010, 12:05 AM

In 2006, the year the Bears went to the superbowl, Sexy Rexy led all passers in two statistical categories: number of games with a passer rating above 100, and number of games with a passer rating below 50.

One game is not a big enough sample size for Rex, especially considering this wasn't all that great of a game.

And watching Shanny in the presser with his "I told you so" act made me think it wasn't worth it at all. Shoot, we lost, so we should have at least lost embarrassingly enough for Shanny to be exposed.

joethefan
12-20-2010, 02:52 AM
I thing he exceed all of our expectations... I wish i could post the texts i got from my buddy who has been Very critical of Shannahan since he got here. They began Sunday's game saying "See I told you Rex was crap". Then as the game went on they began getting alot softer as the game went on LOL hilarious.
One game doesn't do it for me for Rex. I still think he's a backup. I just would like to see him do it while other teams have at least 4 weeks of film on him....

Flynn from Green Bay had a pretty decent game as well IMO. It was because NE had no film on him.

It's ok for Rex to look like Rex, But it's not OK for Donovan to look Rex. It's funny that Rex had the same players, with little running game. I'm not smelling the coolaid. But it seems mighty funny that a guy that hasn't started a game in years can make the 5 year pro bowl starter look like crap. I didn't see too many passes thrown behind, too high or in the ground. I'm not pumping Grossman up, I'm breaking McNabb down. McNabb hasn't thrown for 4 tds here has he? Has the offense scored 30 points this year? What was the biggest deficit McNabb brough us back from this year?Remember McNabb is the 5 time probowler...but technically both QB's got to the SB and allowed ints to ruin their dreams.

joethefan
12-20-2010, 03:44 AM
What he double L is the piont of this thread?
To see how many will cling to DMac? To see how many love or hate Rex?
News flash we owe DMac nothing! He has performed horribly all season long. His best days are behind him. We invested a second round pick for a whopping 77.1 qb rating. Sorry he might be a nice guy, but he no longer has the skills of a starting quarterback in this league. Philly knew this and traded him within the division. Hello they got one over on us. He does not need to be here.
Rex is craptacular as well as proven by turning the ball over repeatedly. His only up side is he is cheap. He is one of two things a back up or out the damn door too. The franchise has two options either draft a qb or sell the farm to buy one. We have no better shot of winning games with either one of these guys. Skill players need to have skills and these two dont have game winning skills.

good post and i agree

NamVet4
12-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Everyone has covered just about everything. Another loss; another diatribe about how good/bad the QB situation is; another confirmation that there is a hell of a lot of work to be done before the Redskins even become a respectable team, never mind a playoff team. I'll just keep hanging in there for now.. with very low expectations. To the OP's ???? - Anything Rex did would be better then I thought he would do.... As the philosopher said: "He who expects nothing ain't gonna be deceived"

smoak
12-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Mcnbb is done and Grossman isn't a sustainable answer. He played just well enough to make our loss interesting... but it was still a loss. He had some beautiful throws out there and it was refreshing to see a QB connect with his receivers.

But as many said, you take the good and the bad with Grossman. Maybe we will give Philly a first rounder for the rights to Vick :rolleyes:

Ibleedburgundy
12-20-2010, 07:44 AM
I'll eat some crow here. Grossman was a lot better than I thought he would be. My prediction was a low completion percentage, many turnovers, and no TDs. I was about 80% wrong. He seemed to be a vast improvement over McNabb in terms of getting the offense into a rhythm. McNabb has long been criticized for not having a sense of urgency. That can be frustrating to watch at times.

I don't think Grossman is the answer but I think what we learned is that McNabb isn't the answer either.

WinnpegSkinsFan
12-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I'll eat some crow here. Grossman was a lot better than I thought he would be. My prediction was a low completion percentage, many turnovers, and no TDs. I was about 80% wrong. He seemed to be a vast improvement over McNabb in terms of getting the offense into a rhythm. McNabb has long been criticized for not having a sense of urgency. That can be frustrating to watch at times.

I don't think Grossman is the answer but I think what we learned is that McNabb isn't the answer either.

+1. It looks like we made a mistake trading for McNugget but a bigger mistake would be trying to justify that trade by retaining him. He clearly is no longer Shanny's choice to QB this team. Admit the mistake and move on.

shally
12-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I thing he exceed all of our expectations... I wish i could post the texts i got from my buddy who has been Very critical of Shannahan since he got here. They began Sunday's game saying "See I told you Rex was crap". Then as the game went on they began getting alot softer as the game went on LOL hilarious.
One game doesn't do it for me for Rex. I still think he's a backup. I just would like to see him do it while other teams have at least 4 weeks of film on him....

Flynn from Green Bay had a pretty decent game as well IMO. It was because NE had no film on him.

It's ok for Rex to look like Rex, But it's not OK for Donovan to look Rex. It's funny that Rex had the same players, with little running game. I'm not smelling the coolaid. But it seems mighty funny that a guy that hasn't started a game in years can make the 5 year pro bowl starter look like crap. I didn't see too many passes thrown behind, too high or in the ground. I'm not pumping Grossman up, I'm breaking McNabb down. McNabb hasn't thrown for 4 tds here has he? Has the offense scored 30 points this year? What was the biggest deficit McNabb brough us back from this year?Remember McNabb is the 5 time probowler...but technically both QB's got to the SB and allowed ints to ruin their dreams.

Grossman made two terrible throws (on the picks) and overlooked Moss who was wide open in the endzone.. but he made some great throws (the throw to Sellers on the run ), and if Moss holds onto a possible game winner (how does he drop that one ???)
late in the 4th quarter then Grossman doesnt even have the second pick and ends up with about 350 yards passing and 5 TD's !!!

cal_junior
12-20-2010, 08:22 AM
and if Moss holds onto a possible game winner (how does he drop that one ???)
late in the 4th quarter then Grossman doesnt even have the second pick and ends up with about 350 yards passing and 5 TD's !!!

There was a safety back there so I don't know that Moss would have gotten into the end zone. The big problem with that drop is that even if we hadn't moved into FG range the Cowboys wouldn't have had such great field position to start their last drive.

shally
12-20-2010, 08:25 AM
+1. It looks like we made a mistake trading for McNugget but a bigger mistake would be trying to justify that trade by retaining him. He clearly is no longer Shanny's choice to QB this team. Admit the mistake and move on.

absolutely ! square peg in round hole.. move on, recoup as much a possible, and get it right the next time..

again, is Grossman any worse than Griese, Gus, or Brister ??

shally
12-20-2010, 08:28 AM
There was a safety back there so I don't know that Moss would have gotten into the end zone. The big problem with that drop is that even if we hadn't moved into FG range the Cowboys wouldn't have had such great field position to start their last drive.

agree about the safety on that play.. but Moss was already making a move to get by him when he dropped the ball and the safety was turned.. at the very least we would have had a first down at the Dallas 45.. THAT drop was a killer.. all the more reason to realize that Moss can get you 8 catches and a TD, but you cannot depend on him with the game on the line..50/50

lorimike
12-20-2010, 08:30 AM
agree about the safety on that play.. but Moss was already making a move to get by him when he dropped the ball and the safety was turned.. at the very least we would have had a first down at the Dallas 45.. THAT drop was a killer.. all the more reason to realize that Moss can get you 8 catches and a TD, but you cannot depend on him with the game on the line..50/50

I can't help but imagine that would have been a touchdown if we had a elite receiver on our team.

shally
12-20-2010, 08:38 AM

+1

but i think we learned that Grossman can be a decent BACK UP as we develop a long term starter

shally
12-20-2010, 08:39 AM
I can't help but imagine that would have been a touchdown if we had a elite receiver on our team.

+1

Armstrong would have at least caught the damn ball !!

CNYSkinFan
12-20-2010, 09:42 AM

Oh, and those of you that ridiculed me weeks back when I suggested that Shanny Jr was behind all this nonsense of playing Grossman over McNabb, feel free to man up or just go the f*** away now. I'm sick of being right and you ****** going silent. I don't forget anything and I'm going to start calling you bitches out.
this post is near perfection. If it was a woman It would be Angelina Jolie

CNYSkinFan
12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Grossman is a solid back up

BUT

at this point in his career McNabb isnt any better. plus, Grossman had 2 years of rust to scrape off. McNabb has no such excuse

it really doesnt matter, however, because Shanahan decided that McNabb wasnt right for the offense. his vote is the only one that matters
Now that Dan Snyder is back in the country, we will see. I still think if the team goes 0-3 un der grossman and he continues racking up untimely interceptions then Snyder is going to make a move.

bergiemoore
12-20-2010, 10:13 AM
He played better than I expected him to play.

He made poor decisions. (expected)

He was blind to the pass-rush. (expected)

He hit the long ball. (expected)

He threw more TDs than INTs/Fumbles (unexpected)

The caveat still holds, however: What Grossman giveth, Grossman taketh away.

SpicyMcHaggis
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm still having trouble accepting the fact that Rex Grossman is an important part of my life as a Redskins fan. When/if I get done with that, I will move on to contemplating the unbelievable disaster that was the McNabb experience. After that, I may get around to evaluating Grossman's play.

shally
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Now that Dan Snyder is back in the country, we will see. I still think if the team goes 0-3 un der grossman and he continues racking up untimely interceptions then Snyder is going to make a move.

i think the team WILL go 0-3 under Grossman because we simply dont have the talent to beat Jax or the Giants in meaningful games. we have the WORST defense inthe NFL, and we are no longer creating turnovers.

but it is absolute nonsense that Snyder will can Shanahan, or insert himself into the running of the team.. as bad as the public relations have been in the past, that would be the Titanic of all disasters. Who will Snyder get to run the team then ? Himself ?? dont be ridiculous.. I know you have an abyssmal opinion of Snyder, and you are entitled to it, based upon past years. but what evidence do you have that such a move is forthcoming ??
it is simply not going to happen

this is Shanahan's team to run now, and we are in YEAR ONE of his tenure.
has had made mistakes, and trading 2 valuable draft picks for McNabb was clearly a mistake. but the decision to cut losses with McNabb when Shanahan decided it wasnt going to work, is what needed to be done.
benching McNabb had it's clumsy moments, but "McNabb the man" wasnt benched, "McNabb the starting Qb' was benched.. and if that is what Shanahan decided based upon practices and game performances, that is what had to be done. move on and get someone to QB the team who is right for the offense

this is a team that is badly in need of new, young talent. Shanahan could admittedly have used the picks that McNabb cost, but that is water under the bridge now. 30 % of the roster will be gone, maybe more, by next year.
we will have a new long term starter at QB, i believe, in this year's draft and Grossman will likely be the care taker until then.

the job is only starting under Shanahan and Snyder isnt going to pull the plug

SpicyMcHaggis
12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
i think the team WILL go 0-3 under Grossman because we simply dont have the talent to beat Jax or the Giants in meaningful games. we have the WORST defense inthe NFL, and we are no longer creating turnovers.

but it is absolute nonsense that Snyder will can Shanahan, or insert himself into the running of the team.. as bad as the public relations have been in the past, that would be the Titanic of all disasters. Who will Snyder get to run the team then ? Himself ?? dont be ridiculous.. I know you have an abyssmal opinion of Snyder, and you are entitled to it, based upon past years. but what evidence do you have that such a move is forthcoming ??
it is simply not going to happen

this is Shanahan's team to run now, and we are in YEAR ONE of his tenure.
has had made mistakes, and trading 2 valuable draft picks for McNabb was clearly a mistake. but the decision to cut losses with McNabb when Shanahan decided it wasnt going to work, is what needed to be done.
benching McNabb had it's clumsy moments, but "McNabb the man" wasnt benched, "McNabb the starting Qb' was benched.. and if that is what Shanahan decided based upon practices and game performances, that is what had to be done. move on and get someone to QB the team who is right for the offense

this is a team that is badly in need of new, young talent. Shanahan could admittedly have used the picks that McNabb cost, but that is water under the bridge now. 30 % of the roster will be gone, maybe more, by next year.
we will have a new long term starter at QB, i believe, in this year's draft and Grossman will likely be the care taker until then.

the job is only starting under Shanahan and Snyder isnt going to pull the plug
I can agree with the rest of the post regarding the fact that Snyder won't fire Shanahan, but I think the term "mistake" is not strong enough to describe the McNabb deal.
It was a total and complete disaster. Not only did it do absolutely nothing to improve the team (and the results show exactly that), but it cost us big time in terms of being able to improve the team in the future. You could also add that dramatically improved a direct division rival, but that really isn't true since we're too bad to be anybody's rival unfortunately.

Essentially, this first year of Shanahan's tenure with the Skins was worse than a total waste. It moved us 0 steps in the right direction (aside from a few secondary guys like Armstrong and Torain I can't see any young talent really being developed at the present time) and at least 1 big one (2 if you count the drop in Shanny's credibility) in the wrong direction.

dj_stouty
12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I was totally surprised with Rexy's performance yesterday. I was expecting more of a 150/1 TD/4 INT affair. No way would I have imagined he would be the first Redskin in 5 seasons to toss 4 TD passes.

I think Kyle schemed for him to get lots of drop-offs, screens, short outs...etc to increase his confidence and it appeared to work. Although, most of the time he tried to throw the ball downfield, bad things happened. I would have loved to see a better mix of Torain and Rex. I think that would have allowed Kyle to open up the playbook more. When your RB is averaging close to 5ypc you need to feed him the ball more than 11 times...even if you are losing pretty bad for most of the game.

Rex fought fought back from a 20 point deficeit. Donovan doesn't have a history of making those types of come-backs. If their roles were reversed, I don't have the confidence in Donovan getting us close to the win yesterday.

I'm glad Donovan was benched...just not the theatrics and lies around it. Sending him out for the cointoss was cringe-worthy. (and the camera panning to Donovan with this hands down his pants was SUPER crige-worthy)

I'm looking forward to what Rex will bring us next week against (who? lol). If he is the Rex of old, he will give us a bad game to even out things out.

FunBunch5
12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I can agree with the rest of the post regarding the fact that Snyder won't fire Shanahan, but I think the term "mistake" is not strong enough to describe the McNabb deal.
It was a total and complete disaster. Not only did it do absolutely nothing to improve the team (and the results show exactly that), but it cost us big time in terms of being able to improve the team in the future. You could also add that dramatically improved a direct division rival, but that really isn't true since we're too bad to be anybody's rival unfortunately.

Essentially, this first year of Shanahan's tenure with the Skins was worse than a total waste. It moved us 0 steps in the right direction (aside from a few secondary guys like Armstrong and Torain I can't see any young talent really being developed at the present time) and at least 1 big one (2 if you count the drop in Shanny's credibility) in the wrong direction.

Trent William is a positive you forgot about. Agreed that getting McNabb was a disaster and it set us back 1 year.

BurgundyNGold
12-20-2010, 11:39 AM
+1

but i think we learned that Grossman can be a decent BACK UP as we develop a long term starter
I think that we learned that Grossman can be a deent backup for 30 minutes of one game against one of (if not the) worst pass defenses in football playing in loose coverage.

SpicyMcHaggis
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Trent William is a positive you forgot about. Agreed that getting McNabb was a disaster and it set us back 1 year.

You're right, I forgot about him. He has looked good (although being the 4th overall pick in the draft, you woul dexpect good production...anything less would be pretty disappointing).

dogfight6
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes very pleased, suprised but pleased.