PDA

View Full Version : Where is the future Redskins fanbase going to come from?

dj_stouty
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Redskins fans come in all shapes and sizes. Some diehard, some casual. Some attend games, some rarely do, some wish they could more often. Some paint rooms in their houses in Burgundy and Gold regardless of spousal complaints. Some spend hours a day on team message boards and some others just enjoy being spoon fed their filtered Skins news from the team. But no matter what, we all love (or at least really like) our Washington Redskins.

And this gets me to thinking about the future of our fanbase. Most of the fans I know either came out of the womb singing HTTR, lived outside the beltway and were lured into fandom due to the fantastic Skins teams/players/coaches of yesteryear, and some got on board later in life and are still trying to play catchup.

But what about the future of the franchise? Will the local DC, MD, VA kids of generation Y and Z really follow suit of the kids brought up on the Skins in the 70s and 80s? What has happened in the last two decades that would make an impact on a youngster that would instill a dedication to the team for a lifetime? In the 19 seasons since the Skins' last Super Bowl title in 1991, the franchise has only 5 winning seasons, 4 trips to the playoffs, 3 playoff wins and only 1 division title. Pathetic by all standards.

Look - I'm not suggesting the younger generations are pure band-wagoners, but they simply aren't gluttons for punishment either. Why cheer on a team that is constantly putting out a product on the field akin to a 3-ring circus? At least at the circus, you come home with an expensive-yet-breakable toy that will hopefully last the card ride home. When you leave FedEx, you likely leave with a loss in hand and no hope for the future. And the only enjoyment you get these days is during the offseason when the Redskins hype machine fools you into thinking "things will be different this year!".

DC is as much of a transient town as ever these days. Rarely do you bump into someone who was actually raised there and still lives there - or at least those people are the vast minority now. The town is dominantly made up of people who come from other areas of the country and have brought their fandom of another team with them. And shocker - these out-of-towners are not raising their kids as Redskins fans. Why would they? The younger generation has been raised on the internet with vast amounts of information at their fingertips. Want to be a Packers fan? Sure! Watch the games on DirecTv, spend some time on the message boards to become knowledgeable on up-to-date team happenings, and go to NFL.com and have your customized replithentic Rodgers jersey sent overnight to your home in Fairfax, VA. No longer are you bound to home-team fandom because the borders of NFL teams are pretty much non-existent these days.

I fear that with every passing year of Redskins suckitude, the future of our fanbase dies a bit. Where are these future fans going to come from? Certainly diehard Skins fans like ourselves will demand our children to step in line, but what % of the fanbase do we even make up these days? Probably a lot less that we think. Will the casual fan of the team really make a conceited effort to replace his little one's newly purchased Chris Johnson jersey with a Ryan Torain jersey? Likely not.

The Redskins have always had one of the league's most loyal and educated fanbases, but the times are a changing. The current front office, coaches and players need to finally make a change and make the Redskins relevant again or else the core of the fanbase will continually get older, while the younger generation opts for other avenues. Turn things around now so we can all be truthful the next time we sing the words to "Hail to the Redskins".

Ibleedburgundy
06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
That's an interesting question. The transient nature of the area doesn't bode well. But it is still a large market none the less so there is a floor for how small the fan base can get. The Redskins brand is certainly in decline. But they are going from #1 in total revenue possibly down to #10 at worst. It's hard to see them ever being much lower than that. DC is a football town first and foremost, and if that's going to change it'll take a generation or two.

I came out of the womb singing HTTR and I also grew up during the glory years (I'm 32). I was always a skins fan. My kids will do the same if they want a roof over their heads lol. The legacy will live on but it might never be what it once was.

Keino
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
That's an interesting question. The transient nature of the area doesn't bode well. But it is still a large market none the less so there is a floor for how small the fan base can get. The Redskins brand is certainly in decline. But they are going from #1 in total revenue possibly down to #10 at worst. It's hard to see them ever being much lower than that. DC is a football town first and foremost, and if that's going to change it'll take a generation or two.

I came out of the womb singing HTTR and I also grew up during the glory years (I'm 32). I was always a skins fan. My kids will do the same if they want a roof over their heads lol. The legacy will live on but it might never be what it once was.

Sorry but DC is a REDSKINS town first, but outside of the Redskins it is a Basketball town. Basketball is a much bigger sport than football in DC.

When I was first introduced the team it was not a very good team in the late 70s. It was commonplace to hear them called "Deadskins" at school and around the neighborhood. In my family, I have established being a Redskins fan as part of the family tradition (the same way my father did). Supporting a losing team affords all sorts of opportunities to discuss concepts like "loyalty" and "Fairyweather Fans" and how that equates to being a "Cowboys" fan. It brings a tear to my eye to hear my kids espouse hatred of all things Dallas. It lets me know that I am raising them correctly.

shally
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
twitter ????? facebook ????? lol

nicefellow31
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Sorry but DC is a REDSKINS town first, but outside of the Redskins it is a Basketball town. Basketball is a much bigger sport than football in DC.

When I was first introduced the team it was not a very good team in the late 70s. It was commonplace to hear them called "Deadskins" at school and around the neighborhood. In my family, I have established being a Redskins fan as part of the family tradition (the same way my father did). Supporting a losing team affords all sorts of opportunities to discuss concepts like "loyalty" and "Fairyweather Fans" and how that equates to being a "Cowboys" fan. It brings a tear to my eye to hear my kids espouse hatred of all things Dallas. It lets me know that I am raising them correctly.

I'm a little bit older than you but I to remember during the late 70's all you heard was "Deadskins" in school. That used to get me fired up and of course you had the Cowboys "fans" who lived to agitate. I'll continue to root for the Skins, my oldest daughter is a Skins fans, and we are raising her son to do the same.

redskin_rich
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
My kids are Redskins fans and not because of any other reason than supporting me. I doubt that they will ever be close to as fanatical as me towards the Skins but they do have an understanding of bandwagoning. They always know who won each week by what jerseys are worn at school and they especially dislike the Cowpies and Stealers.

shally
06-01-2011, 09:44 PM
my oldest daughter was raised right.. then she married a *^$$# Eagles' fan.. it kills me to see my little grandkids wearing that sickening green..

....sharper than a serpent's tooth is an ungrateful child...lol

and on top of it, i had to endure my son in law braying about the trade that brought mcnuggett to us.. last year was the dregs !!!

IH Brave
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM

That's where the future fan base will come from. We need to to instill it in our kids. My wife told me when my baby girl was younger they were at the mall. They walked past a Redskins T-shirt and my daughter said "Daddy." Right there she (my daughter) knew my passion for the Redskins. My daughter is not quite 2, but when she hear me say "Cowboys" she boos with her thumbs down. And she says "Yay" when she hear Redskins. Will she continue to do so when she gets older? I'd like to believe so. I feel I'm in the same boat as Sean. I'm raising my daughter right.

redskin_rich
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
That's where the future fan base will come from. We need to to instill it in our kids. My wife told me when my baby girl was younger they were at the mall. They walked past a Redskins T-shirt and my daughter said "Daddy." Right there she (my daughter) knew my passion for the Redskins. My daughter is not quite 2, but when she hear me say "Cowboys" she boos with her thumbs down. And she says "Yay" when she hear Redskins. Will she continue to do so when she gets older? I'd like to believe so. I feel I'm in the same boat as Sean. I'm raising my daughter right.

My teenage daughter posted a pic of her holding the hand 'L' loser sign over the head of her friend wearing a Romo jersey, on her facebook page, lol.
When I saw it, it was a proud father moment.

IH Brave
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
My teenage daughter posted a pic of her holding the hand 'L' loser sign over the head of her friend wearing a Romo jersey, on her facebook page, lol.
When I saw it, it was a proud father moment.

That's awesome. lol

Lacquer Head
06-02-2011, 02:11 AM
The same place Bills and Mets fans come from?

DaveKShape
06-02-2011, 05:02 AM
my wife and i have talked about this a lot. we're definitely going to raise our kids to be redskins fans. i'm old enough to remember the 87 and 91 super bowl wins. i can only hope my my sons/daughters will have the same magic once they're born in a few years. even if they're still a terrible team, there's a certain pride/underdog mentality that has its benefits when it comes to teaching a kid. it's kind of hilarious, but it's one of the main things i'm looking forward to when it comes to bonding with my future kids.

dj_stouty
06-02-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm guessing that us members of HR are part of the top 5% of the fanbase in terms of dedication and fandom. Of course we will raise our kids as Skisn fans. But what about the other 95%? 19 years without any real success has jaded our average fan and definitely our casual fans, IMO.

Losing seasons, bad pricing/service at FedEx, and a circus-like atmosphere from Redskins Park is shrinking this fanbase dramatically. And it will only get worse...

SpicyMcHaggis
06-02-2011, 07:48 AM
One thing is certain: the Redskins fanbase outside the U.S. is at an all-time low. Over here there used to be plenty of Redskins fans (in Rome especially since the team colors are the same), but now there are hardly any at all.

VegasSkinsFan
06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
My guess is that it will come once we get a winning tradition rolling again. GO SKINS !!!!

CNYSkinFan
06-02-2011, 09:25 AM
My guess is that it will come once we get a winning tradition rolling again. GO SKINS !!!!
so 2025?

Patrick
06-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm guessing that us members of HR are part of the top 5% of the fanbase in terms of dedication and fandom. Of course we will raise our kids as Skisn fans. But what about the other 95%? 19 years without any real success has jaded our average fan and definitely our casual fans, IMO.

Losing seasons, bad pricing/service at FedEx, and a circus-like atmosphere from Redskins Park is shrinking this fanbase dramatically. And it will only get worse... Ahhh - what seperates the true fan from the bandwagoners ...... ;)

dj_stouty
06-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Well - one thing is for sure. Kids living outside Skins Country aren't going to magically wake up one day and say; "I'm now a Redskins fan!". I've met a lot of fans over the years (including many here) that picked the Skins as their favorite team as a kid even though they didn't live in the Mid-Atlantic region. Their top reason was the club's success under Allen/Gibbs in the 70s and 80s. The last 2 decades have given the younger generation nothing to be excited about.

I'm probably looking into this much more than I should - but I've seen a lot of great franchises screw up and eventually lose great fanbases. It would be a shame to see that happen in DC.

dj_stouty
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Ahhh - what seperates the true fan from the bandwagoners ...... ;)

Yup...and some day, all 2,000 of us true fans will have the best seats to choose from at FedEx. ;)

Keino
06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Well I can name two kids who live outside the area who are developing into die-hards.

I even had my little one refuse to wear #89 because I was yelling at him through the TV. "I don't want to wear Moss, he sucks"

I had to explain to her that he doesn't suck, but I didn't make her wear it. I let her wear her #98 instead.

akhhorus
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Imo, no matter how transient the fan base is, I think that it can help keep refilling the fan base--internet/satellite TV effects included--since people can be football bisexuals, rooting for their home team and for the redskins just by sheer exposure. But in order to even build that fan base, the Skins have to get their crap together. If the Skins are in a 15-25 year tailspin, they'll end up being like the Jets/Mets/Islanders are and used to be: highly localized fan base that competes with a more popular team in the same sport.

shally
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
The same place Bills and Mets fans come from?

cockroaches, too...

CNYSkinFan
06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Well - one thing is for sure. Kids living outside Skins Country aren't going to magically wake up one day and say; "I'm now a Redskins fan!". I've met a lot of fans over the years (including many here) that picked the Skins as their favorite team as a kid even though they didn't live in the Mid-Atlantic region. Their top reason was the club's success under Allen/Gibbs in the 70s and 80s. The last 2 decades have given the younger generation nothing to be excited about.

I'm probably looking into this much more than I should - but I've seen a lot of great franchises screw up and eventually lose great fanbases. It would be a shame to see that happen in DC.
this is my story as well. You will see less and less Redskin fans in enemy territory.

For example, look at the 49er fan base. In the 80s nad into the 90s you could not walk down the street anywhere in America without running into a 49er fan. Nowadys you can't get anyone to admit they are one except if they cam from San Fran.

I think the Redskins get a boost by being the nation's capital team and so people not enthralled with their local interest are drawn to the "glory" of being the national team. That is why the fan base has not eroded to the point of the 49ers despite a longer drought.

Rickskins76
06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
The problem I run into, is my kids now consistantly ask me this question...

"Dad, why do we root for this team again?"

Unfortunately I usually cannot give a very good answer other than because I always have and they used to be good a long time ago.

My wife has stated the Redskins' fan motto is "Maybe next year"

I refuse to root for anyone else though, even if it means I cuss at the tv every sunday. Hopefully they get the cba figured out so I can cuss at it again this year.

Gravy
06-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I have 3 kids: 8, 4, and 3 months...there is nowhere in ourhome they can go without being reminded about the Skins...now unfortunately weare alone where we live (Freakin' Steeler fans and Patriot fans)...I am apreacher so I get to preach to my congregation about the Skins...they love mypassion and loyalty but they are all either rootin for the Steelers or thePatriots...but I have their children (BWHAHAHA)...[/B][/B][/B][/B]

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
06-03-2011, 06:56 PM
love of the redskins is passed on from generation to generation from a parent to their children folks! my daddy passed it down to all of us,my siblings have passed it onto their kids,and my two kids have loved the redskins since they were born! my daughter even turned down a few dates from guys because she found out in her words,"they were a**hole cowboy fans!" i think the redskins fan base is safe for the future!

Emmanouel8
06-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Redskins fans used to come from many things, above all success, now it will have to rely on good parenting.

Aurej
06-03-2011, 09:38 PM
25 years of age, been a fan since around 8, we had a tape called Super Bowl Superstars, heavily featured Riggins in the super bowl. I saw his mohawk, afro, and facial hair styles been a fan ever since. Lets just hope more kids watch videos on Riggo. Simply impossible NOT to like the man.

native skin
06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Over the last 15 years (I don't count the previous 4 years because we were all still riding the buzz from the '91 win), I have seen a lot of young fans that were extremely passionate about the Skins. I always felt sorry for them because they were rooting for a team that had not/ has not done squat in their lifetime's. I always wondered where they got their passion from. I saw all the SB Wins growing up. It was only natural, being from the area and witnessing the Skins supreme awesomeness, that I would become a die hard fan. Nevertheless, there are still die hard fans out there. But you will be hard pressed to see many outside the DC Metro area. I did see a dude last week in WV who had huge redskins decals all over his truck. My chest grew about 6 inches. I was proud as a mugg. My wife gives me a hard time, other people give me a hard time about it, too, but I guess what it comes down to is that I'm proud of those players and teams that brought prominence to the area. Championship minded players and teams don't just crop up out of no where. It takes great talent evaluators, people with balls to pull the trigger, and a tremendous amount of hard work to make Championships happen. I'll always be proud that we've had some of the best players and teams, the world has ever seen, play on our turf. We have to keep our heads up, keep cheering, and keep believing (even if I don't always feel that way). We, as fans, have just as much responsibility as the team to keep the passion alive. If the youngsters see that passion, they'll want to be a part of it. It's easy to want to be a part of something that people are so passionate about. It's even easier to hate Cowgirls fans because everyone hates spineless, two faced, opportunistic, bandwagon, f-ers! :D

smoak
06-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Sadly I think that ~ 2/3 of any fan base is "bandwagon" in that their degree of support increases and decreases based on the team record. I love the topic though and enjoy the personal stories even more.

So here is mine:

As a result of living in the Philly media market and having daily interactions with iggle fans, my bias/hatred can seem skewed more towards them than dallass. So naturally I reinforce that the iggles "stink" and boo them whenever they are on TV... Well my lil one picks up on this and LOVES positive reinforcement from dad so she joins in cheering for the Redskins and booing iggles/dallass.

Life is great!

Then I realized the resulting cause of my actions... A 3 or 4 year old has no filter. So I'm negotiating my potential new car purchase and she BURSTS in with BOOOO eagles after having spotted the sports section of the newspaper. We're at the mall and there's a guy with teardrops tattooed under his eyes. Sitting in the restaurant our server comes over wearing an iggles pin and sure enough, the boooos reign down from across the booth.

As part of our daily interactions with people she finds ways to remind the locals that the eagles stink.... and every time she does it, I agree wholeheartedly and give positive reinforcement. :)

smoak
06-05-2011, 07:07 AM
25 years of age, been a fan since around 8, we had a tape called Super Bowl Superstars, heavily featured Riggins in the super bowl. I saw his mohawk, afro, and facial hair styles been a fan ever since. Lets just hope more kids watch videos on Riggo. Simply impossible NOT to like the man.

I am not a fan of "retired riggo", but I agree... Just throwing it out there.

ChiefPowhatan17
06-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Just because we can't win anything doesn't mean the fanbase will die. So the answer is the metro area. People will still root for their hometown even if they have sucked forever. IE: Detroit.

greatest2
06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
i ask myself this all the time. with more and more kids becoming front runners, and the lack of us winning the fan base we eventually deplete. do we have fans oversee's for when the game goes global?

also, i ask myself how i can be a fan of a team that i have never really seen be a winner (im 25). the answer i can come up with is its our team. Just like that crazy uncle. he sucks, does stupid things but you still love em cause he is your uncle.

it is sad that the team has taken such a strong and vibrant fan base, and even has us asking these questions.

JRudy
06-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Sadly I think that ~ 2/3 of any fan base is "bandwagon" in that their degree of support increases and decreases based on the team record. I love the topic though and enjoy the personal stories even more.

So here is mine:

As a result of living in the Philly media market and having daily interactions with iggle fans, my bias/hatred can seem skewed more towards them than dallass. So naturally I reinforce that the iggles "stink" and boo them whenever they are on TV... Well my lil one picks up on this and LOVES positive reinforcement from dad so she joins in cheering for the Redskins and booing iggles/dallass.

Life is great!

Then I realized the resulting cause of my actions... A 3 or 4 year old has no filter. So I'm negotiating my potential new car purchase and she BURSTS in with BOOOO eagles after having spotted the sports section of the newspaper. We're at the mall and there's a guy with teardrops tattooed under his eyes. Sitting in the restaurant our server comes over wearing an iggles pin and sure enough, the boooos reign down from across the booth.

As part of our daily interactions with people she finds ways to remind the locals that the eagles stink.... and every time she does it, I agree wholeheartedly and give positive reinforcement. :)

Lmao, thanks Smoak, I needed a good laugh.

HanburgerBum
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Redskins fans come in all shapes and sizes. Some diehard, some casual. Some attend games, some rarely do, some wish they could more often. Some paint rooms in their houses in Burgundy and Gold regardless of spousal complaints. Some spend hours a day on team message boards and some others just enjoy being spoon fed their filtered Skins news from the team. But no matter what, we all love (or at least really like) our Washington Redskins.

And this gets me to thinking about the future of our fanbase. Most of the fans I know either came out of the womb singing HTTR, lived outside the beltway and were lured into fandom due to the fantastic Skins teams/players/coaches of yesteryear, and some got on board later in life and are still trying to play catchup.

But what about the future of the franchise? Will the local DC, MD, VA kids of generation Y and Z really follow suit of the kids brought up on the Skins in the 70s and 80s? What has happened in the last two decades that would make an impact on a youngster that would instill a dedication to the team for a lifetime? In the 19 seasons since the Skins' last Super Bowl title in 1991, the franchise has only 5 winning seasons, 4 trips to the playoffs, 3 playoff wins and only 1 division title. Pathetic by all standards.

Look - I'm not suggesting the younger generations are pure band-wagoners, but they simply aren't gluttons for punishment either. Why cheer on a team that is constantly putting out a product on the field akin to a 3-ring circus? At least at the circus, you come home with an expensive-yet-breakable toy that will hopefully last the card ride home. When you leave FedEx, you likely leave with a loss in hand and no hope for the future. And the only enjoyment you get these days is during the offseason when the Redskins hype machine fools you into thinking "things will be different this year!".

DC is as much of a transient town as ever these days. Rarely do you bump into someone who was actually raised there and still lives there - or at least those people are the vast minority now. The town is dominantly made up of people who come from other areas of the country and have brought their fandom of another team with them. And shocker - these out-of-towners are not raising their kids as Redskins fans. Why would they? The younger generation has been raised on the internet with vast amounts of information at their fingertips. Want to be a Packers fan? Sure! Watch the games on DirecTv, spend some time on the message boards to become knowledgeable on up-to-date team happenings, and go to NFL.com and have your customized replithentic Rodgers jersey sent overnight to your home in Fairfax, VA. No longer are you bound to home-team fandom because the borders of NFL teams are pretty much non-existent these days.

I fear that with every passing year of Redskins suckitude, the future of our fanbase dies a bit. Where are these future fans going to come from? Certainly diehard Skins fans like ourselves will demand our children to step in line, but what % of the fanbase do we even make up these days? Probably a lot less that we think. Will the casual fan of the team really make a conceited effort to replace his little one's newly purchased Chris Johnson jersey with a Ryan Torain jersey? Likely not.

The Redskins have always had one of the league's most loyal and educated fanbases, but the times are a changing. The current front office, coaches and players need to finally make a change and make the Redskins relevant again or else the core of the fanbase will continually get older, while the younger generation opts for other avenues. Turn things around now so we can all be truthful the next time we sing the words to "Hail to the Redskins".

A well-written wake-up call for Dan Snyder. I hope he understands that the once-great Redskins fan base has shriveled to a mere shadow of itself due to a combination of factors:

1. A poor to mediocre product on the field for almost 2 decades.

2. An over-built seating capacity. 80,000 seats are plenty.

3. A hassle to attend games.

4. A well-intentioned but incapable owner, who is disliked by many.

5. Pricing of tickets, parking and concessions.

6. A string of incompetent personnel gurus and head coaches.

7. Terrible trades and free agent signings to such an extent that the team has become the laughing stock of the NFL.

It is my belief that the so-called season ticket waiting list is a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins actually don't sell out now, and that Snyder is buying up his own tickets in order to avoid TV blackouts.

They say winning cures all ills. Hopefully, that will be the case. But, with the way things are going now, it is not a slam dunk that the Skins will be winning any time soon.

guess88
06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
What an interesting question....

If things don't change, there might be luck with the hipster community as they like anything popular that's unpopular. Though, I don't think the DC area has many hipsters, so the most logical region of future hipster fans will probably be Richmond. VCU lacks a football team, no one really cares about U of R, and there are no competing professional football teams nearby.

Seriously though, if the bad decisions and losing continues the Redskin fanbase will consist of nothing but elderly people, fairweather fans, and people who only chose to like the team in order to spite others. We're fortunate to have witnessed and experienced the glory days, but when we die out who will recall the Skins with any significance? As it stands, the team doesn't even have an identity anymore. Are we a run first team? A pass first team? A strong defensive team?

As of now, the team has no identity, a losing culture, and an owner that cares more about profits and ego than the people who actually keep him in business.

dcsh*list
07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
This is hilarious and so true: https://bitly.com/l0pjpd

ryflan47
07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I like to think that other people would feel the same as this:

The Redskins to me are more than just a football team. It reminds me of Sundays with my Dad, and Thanksgivings with my whole family. The Redskins are like a glue that holds families together. Whether the skins suck or not, theres always going to be a special place for them, for me at least. How many other things can you say that about? That being said, I think future Redskins fans are gonna come from...us. Lol.

GeneralDisorder
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
One thing is certain: the Redskins fanbase outside the U.S. is at an all-time low. Over here there used to be plenty of Redskins fans (in Rome especially since the team colors are the same), but now there are hardly any at all.

Couldn't agree more - over here in the UK during the mid-80's hey-day, if you found a fan of the NFL you could guarantee they were a 49er, a Bear or a Redskin. Occasionally you'd have a Dolphin, a Raider or (pteh...) a Cowboy.

Now it's all bloody Patriots and Steelers.

That said, I did bump into a Raiders fan in the pub the other week who must have been about 12 foot 3. He laid into me about Albert Haynesworth, so I gave him some back about Jamarcus Russell.

Not sure who won really...