PDA

View Full Version : Dan Snyder keeps digging that hole deeper...

akhhorus
08-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Who's advising him on this?

Link (http://deadspin.com/5827004/dan-snyder-is-now-campaigning-against-the-rights-of-dc-residents-to-govern-themselves)

Dan Snyder's lawyers yesterday filed a brief in D.C. Superior Court as part of Snyder's dumbass legal jihad against the Washington City Paper. Snyder's lawsuit looks for all the world like a "strategic lawsuit against public participation." Even the ACLU thinks so. Such "SLAPP" suits are deployed by rich bullies to discourage free speech. But now comes Snyder to argue that the anti-SLAPP law passed by the D.C. Council mere weeks before he filed his dumbass lawsuit is unconstitutional. Why? Because the elected officials in D.C. have no power to pass laws that govern the D.C. court system that enforces the law for the D.C. residents who elected the officials, according to Snyder.

Whether or not this legal interpretation is correct, its just terrible PR. Or as Deadspin continues...

The question is does he really want to make this argument? Residents of D.C. are already some of the more shat-upon citizens in the land, paying federal taxes as they do while having no representation in Congress. Washingtonians also regularly suffer the worst kind of abuse from slavering egomaniacs hellbent on decimating beloved public institutions. I speak, of course, of Dan Snyder. His every action in the McKenna/City Paper saga confirms every terrible thing that's been said about him. And his latest legal ploy speaks to the lengths to which he'll go to win, even though he never will. If the number of fans buying season tickets or attending Redskins training camp is any indication, he's already losing

Epochalypse
08-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Link (http://deadspin.com/5827004/dan-snyder-is-now-campaigning-against-the-rights-of-dc-residents-to-govern-themselves)

Whether or not this legal interpretation is correct, its just terrible PR. Or as Deadspin continues...

Shh...maybe it's what's keeping his attention away from trading for Osi

DaveKShape
08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
i question whether his IQ is above 100.

Epochalypse
08-03-2011, 08:23 AM
i question whether his IQ is above 100.

After all we've seen of him, you still have doubts what the answer to that question is?

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
we can always hope he'll piss off somebody that has power to actually make it his or her main mission in life to destroy him and his fortune.short of that,he'll be the redskins owner until after most of us are gone.i hope i die before i see the redskins looked on like the lions were so many years not very long ago.

culpeper
08-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Most of this just comes from being a loser for the last 10 years and doing EVERYTHING wrong. I actually agree with Snyder when it comes to PFT and I give him credit for allowing grown ups to run the football side of the organization now (seemingly).

But man, talk about thin skin and a STUPID lawsuit. What was that metaphor I saw a couple days ago on here? Snyder looks like "a baby throwing toys out of a crib" or something to that effect...

RedskinsDave
08-03-2011, 09:50 AM
He really is verifying every single bad thing said about him over the years. He is like a petulant child. I would be willing to bet this line of argument is related to Donovan's resignation. I can't imagine anyone above a first year law student would want to have their name tied to this mess.

justinskins
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't think this is such a big deal. If there's a law that hurts his ability to bring his suit, and his attorneys think that law may be invalid, they should make the argument. It's not like Dan Snyder is crusading against the rights of DC residents; his lawyers simply made an argument in a brief.

In short, the problem isn't that Dan Snyder's lawyers made this particular argument. The problem is that he's bringing such a ridiculous case in the first place.

akhhorus
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think this is such a big deal. If there's a law that hurts his ability to bring his suit, and his attorneys think that law may be invalid, they should make the argument. It's not like Dan Snyder is crusading against the rights of DC residents; his lawyers simply made an argument in a brief.

In short, the problem isn't that Dan Snyder's lawyers made this particular argument. The problem is that he's bringing such a ridiculous case in the first place.

Then leave it up to a judge whether or not its a SLAPP suit on the merits. Trying to avoid a law by claiming that the law is totally invalid because DC can't make any laws themselves is an *sshole move especially since you're the football team for the city.

smoak
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM

I completely agree. This is a non issue really... It all falls under the massive umbrella of Snyder headed towards a massive fall.

KMDeMuth
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
...Trying to avoid a law by claiming that the law is totally invalid because DC can't make any laws themselves...
Looks more like Deadspin (and others) are putting a spin on this. Nowhere are the lawyers saying the city can't legislate. The argument is that Snyder/his lawyers don't believe the law is constitutional. Further that he/they believe that they have the right to sue/defend, just as they have the right to print it, regardless of if its right/wrong. You have the right to say/print what you want, but others have the right to sue you for slander if they don't agree. Snyder is arguing that his rights are being infringed upon, if the anti-SLAPP measure is upheld as law. (a fundamental argument against anti-SLAPP laws)

But now comes Snyder to argue that the anti-SLAPP law passed by the D.C. Council mere weeks before he filed his dumba** lawsuit is unconstitutional.
Snyder had said for awhile, prior to the measure passed by the DC city council, that he was going to sue if a retraction wasn't printed (going too far and demanding the writer be fired also.) So his lawyers will argue cause of the measure being passed being direct result of his actions, that they infringe upon his rights.
Why? Because the elected officials in D.C. have no power to pass laws that govern the D.C. court system that enforces the law for the D.C. residents who elected the officials, according to Snyder.
Wrong. The elected officials can pass laws to govern the city. Under the "Home Rule Act" Congress reviews all legislation passed by the council before it can become law..." Although an over simplification, It must be reviewed by congress, not passed by congress. They have oversight of what "is" passed, to say if they approve, making it officially DC law. They approve the majority of what is passed after they review it. So its erroneous to state they "can not pass laws." They can, do, but have oversight over them others do not. I highly doubt the measure passed was law by the time Snyders lawsuit was filed, so he has a sound grievance. (The oversight being right/wrong is a separate issue, his lawyers are abusing it though, but most likely don't have to with the timing of the Anti-SLAPP measure being passed.)
...D.C. have no power to pass laws that govern the D.C. court system that enforces the law for the D.C....
Obviously... no legislative branch 'governs the court system.' Conflict of interests to say the least. The only power the Home Rule Act took away from the city council on this front is their ability to appoint judges. They still have District Attorneys and the police force to enforce the laws. That is not the place of the court system (to enforce laws) the court interprets and applys the law, without prejudice.

This is a HORRIBLY written 'article.' The errors and slant/bias is almost funny in how obvious it is. I personally agree that the city needs less oversight and that it should be able to vote for representatives. As it stands now though, the anti-SLAPP measure is likely not law in DC & a powerful argument can be made for the timing of the measure passing. The bases and coverage under the majority of anti-SLAPP laws can be argued to be unconstitutional of themselves. He is a private citizen, can be argued that he is a public figure, but in the end he is not. He is the head of a privately held business and a private citizen, with all the rights to privacy that come with that; which is where i would argue anti-SLAPP laws go too far. Many of the things posted in the article legally are slander against him as an individual, giving him grounds for his lawsuit. Although he is wrong for filing any of it, this is not the NY Times, this was not a far reaching well written piece by a respected publication. He should have asked for a retraction and let it go regardless of the outcome.

Do i think he is right? No. Would i sue the paper? No. Do I think he is an idiot? Yes, but he has the right to be an idiot. He has a valid case, even if i think he is wrong to pursue it. There is a need for anti-SLAPP laws to a degree, but I would argue they are far too reaching in their implementation. Which is a separate argument for the politics forum.

justinskins
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Obviously... no legislative branch 'governs the court system.' Conflict of interests to say the least. The only power the Home Rule Act took away from the city council on this front is their ability to appoint judges. They still have District Attorneys and the police force to enforce the laws. That is not the place of the court system (to enforce laws) the court interprets and applys the law, without prejudice.

By "govern the courts" I think the document refers to acts like setting out procedural rules that courts follow. That is one of the functions legislatures regularly perform. Snyder's lawyers argue that Home Rule Act bar the DC Council from changing civil procedure, and that the anti-SLAPP law does that. (I have no idea if that legal argument is valid or not.)

HanburgerBum
08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Dan Snyder should be smart enough to realize that this lawsuit of his is a lose-lose proposition. He will lose in the court of public opinion even if he wins the lawsuit in the judicial system. The thing about it is that I don't think anyone is giving him such bad advice. I think Dan Snyder is "losing" it and he is not listening to anyone.

With declining support from the ardent fan base and the Skins home games probably no longer selling out, this is just about the last thing Snyder needs right now.

The sensible thing for Dan Snyder to do is sell the team and go count his profit. Let someone else worry about how to return the Skins to the glory days.

RedskinsDave
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Snyder had said for awhile, prior to the measure passed by the DC city council, that he was going to sue if a retraction wasn't printed (going too far and demanding the writer be fired also.) So his lawyers will argue cause of the measure being passed being direct result of his actions, that they infringe upon his rights.

And he will lose based on the words of his own attorney where he threatened to sue and alluded to the fact that Snyder can keep this is court forever while they would be bankrupted by a drawn out legal process.

Keino
08-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Dan Snyder should be smart enough to realize that this lawsuit of his is a lose-lose proposition. He will lose in the court of public opinion even if he wins the lawsuit in the judicial system. The thing about it is that I don't think anyone is giving him such bad advice. I think Dan Snyder is "losing" it and he is not listening to anyone.

With declining support from the ardent fan base and the Skins home games probably no longer selling out, this is just about the last thing Snyder needs right now.

The sensible thing for Dan Snyder to do is sell the team and go count his profit. Let someone else worry about how to return the Skins to the glory days.

From your keyboard to God's eyes!

....or something.

ChiefPowhatan17
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
If it keeps his attention away from the team personnel than good. He should have his marketing office in Potomac md.

HanburgerBum
08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
From your keyboard to God's eyes!

....or something.

I have been a Skins fan since the 50's. So, you know I am old. It is very difficult for me to visualize how the Skins can be turned around while I am still on earth to see it if Dan Snyder doesn't sell the team.

The only thing I think that can drive DS to sell is if the team's revenue continues to plummet. So, I am seriously considering giving up my season tickets next year to help the cause.

Keino
08-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I have been a Skins fan since the 50's. So, you know I am old. It is very difficult for me to visualize how the Skins can be turned around while I am still on earth to see it if Dan Snyder doesn't sell the team.

The only thing I think that can drive DS to sell is if the team's revenue continues to plummet. So, I am seriously considering giving up my season tickets next year to help the cause.

I am 38 and I have doubts about whether I will see another SB victory or will be able bodied enough to enjoy it properly.

I hate Dan Snyder.

HanburgerBum
08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I am 38 and I have doubts about whether I will see another SB victory or will be able bodied enough to enjoy it properly.

I hate Dan Snyder.

You are just a puppy! You can outlive Dan Snyder, if you have to. For old farts like me, we can only hope he sells the team. And, I think it can happen, because I don't believe the Skins are the cash cow they once were. I am betting that DS is motivated by $$ more than anything else.

bigmike7914
08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
i question whether his IQ is above 100.Mega rich people usually lack adequate common sense, thus it makes them look fairly dumb in most situations not dealing with business transactions...

Keino
08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
You are just a puppy! You can outlive Dan Snyder, if you have to. For old farts like me, we can only hope he sells the team. And, I think it can happen, because I don't believe the Skins are the cash cow they once were. I am betting that DS is motivated by $$ more than anything else.

I doubt it. He is only 7 or 8 years older than me and I actually have to work for a living. That will take its toll on my body plus with his money he as access to healthcare and modern medicine that I will never be able to access. If I outlive Snyder, I would be very surprised. I hope it happens (and I'll end my post here, lest I say something not so classy)......

colkurtz
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Dan Snyder will never sell the Redskins because then no one would listen to him anymore. He wouldn't get interviews. He wouldn't be able to bring Tom Cruise into his owners box. He wouldn't be able to be best buddy to Jerru Jones.

He doesn't care if he is the most disliked owner in the NFL. He doesn't care if Redskin fans are deserting the team in droves. He doesn't care if most of the Redskins fans consider him to be a strutting, little Napoleon without a whiff of NFL smarts. He doesn't care if the rest of the NFL considers his 12 hour HC interviews as stupid as his last choice as a GM. He's a petulant little man who can't take criticism via a minor D.C. newspaper or from the signs held by his own fans. I have come to the conclusion that as long as he has zero influence on the running of the team by a real NFL HC and GM for at least 5 years straight, then we may have a chance to improve as a franchise. Any bit of input by Dan Snyder on this team will drive it deeper into the bottom of the NFL cellar.

skinsdad62
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
dont worry guys you have only 40 short years of snyder left

Arkangiest
08-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Most of this just comes from being a loser for the last 10 years and doing EVERYTHING wrong. I actually agree with Snyder when it comes to PFT and I give him credit for allowing grown ups to run the football side of the organization now (seemingly).

But man, talk about thin skin and a STUPID lawsuit. What was that metaphor I saw a couple days ago on here? Snyder looks like "a baby throwing toys out of a crib" or something to that effect...

I agree with what you say here, and yeah that quote from colkurtz made me lol. Snyder has the right to defend himself, and he did that with his initial lawsuit. What he's doing now shows the character of a man who is completely full of himself. A man delusional enough to think that this will change the publics perception of him in a positive light. What a jackass Snyder is.

HanburgerBum
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Dan Snyder will never sell the Redskins because then no one would listen to him anymore. He wouldn't get interviews. He wouldn't be able to bring Tom Cruise into his owners box. He wouldn't be able to be best buddy to Jerru Jones.

He doesn't care if he is the most disliked owner in the NFL. He doesn't care if Redskin fans are deserting the team in droves. He doesn't care if most of the Redskins fans consider him to be a strutting, little Napoleon without a whiff of NFL smarts. He doesn't care if the rest of the NFL considers his 12 hour HC interviews as stupid as his last choice as a GM. He's a petulant little man who can't take criticism via a minor D.C. newspaper or from the signs held by his own fans. I have come to the conclusion that as long as he has zero influence on the running of the team by a real NFL HC and GM for at least 5 years straight, then we may have a chance to improve as a franchise. Any bit of input by Dan Snyder on this team will drive it deeper into the bottom of the NFL cellar.

What you say certainly makes sense. But, I am guessing that if the value of the Redskins plummets like the stock market has been the last couple of weeks, money will outweigh Dan Snyder's hunger for publicity. The way the once incomparable Redskins fan base has eroded in recent years, I think the value of the franchise has already declined somewhat (didn't it go from 2nd to 4th on Forbes' list?). If the team on the field doesn't improve soon, I think the decline in value will continue.

As for DS hiring competent people to run the team, that remains to be seen. I think the jury is still out on Shanahan. Moreover, if the team doesn't turn around soon, who is to say Danny wouldn't start interferring again?

colkurtz
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
What you say certainly makes sense. But, I am guessing that if the value of the Redskins plummets like the stock market has been the last couple of weeks, money will outweigh Dan Snyder's hunger for publicity. The way the once incomparable Redskins fan base has eroded in recent years, I think the value of the franchise has already declined somewhat (didn't it go from 2nd to 4th on Forbes' list?). If the team on the field doesn't improve soon, I think the decline in value will continue.

As for DS hiring competent people to run the team, that remains to be seen. I think the jury is still out on Shanahan. Moreover, if the team doesn't turn around soon, who is to say Danny wouldn't start interferring again?

I agree that the jury is still out on Shannihan & Son and Allen. However, there is a school of thought that ANY sort of real stability will make an NFL team better. As I've said before - how can any SB winning HC and a compotent GM do WORSE than Snyderrato? We may not win a SB under Shannihan / Allen but the Redskins will be a better team than the chaos of Snyder and his lackey.

GloryHog
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I agree that the jury is still out on Shannihan & Son and Allen. However, there is a school of thought that ANY sort of real stability will make an NFL team better. As I've said before - how can any SB winning HC and a compotent GM do WORSE than Snyderrato? We may not win a SB under Shannihan / Allen but the Redskins will be a better team than the chaos of Snyder and his lackey.

GOT to be...

hail2skins
09-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Snyder drops suit against City Paper

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-owner-dan-snyder-drops-lawsuit-against-washington-city-paper/2011/09/09/gIQA3hf1IK_story.html

Keino
09-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Snyder drops suit against City Paper

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-owner-dan-snyder-drops-lawsuit-against-washington-city-paper/2011/09/09/gIQA3hf1IK_story.html

He gave an interview recently where he admitted that he never read the article he was suing over. So basically, he heard they mentioned his wife's name and drew a picture of him with horns and he filed a suit.

I wish he wouldn't have. It would have been funny to watch him lose this law suit.