PDA

View Full Version : Nats Starting Rotation, 2012

Ibleedburgundy
09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm interested to see who will be in the National's starting rotation for 2012. It could turn out to be a very solid rotation. It seems they have too many guys on the fringe and only 5 slots available.

Given: Strasburg, Zimmerman, Lannan.

So who will be the remaining two between Detwiler, Wang, Peacock, and Milone? I know these guys have been auditioning for the past Month but I think it will also come down to spring training. IMO, Wang is the odd man out. IIRC, the Nats would have to sign him to a new deal anyway. His up side is really not all that high. Even when he was totally healthy he sported an ERA around 4, didn't strike many guys out, and allowed too many baserunners.

So that would leave Detwiler, Peacock, and Milone battling for two spots.

Ross Detwiler was a first round pick in 2007 (6th overall) and has impressed with a 3.30 ERA in 9 starts this year. He's not a flame thrower but he can reach the mid 90s and has pretty good command.

Peacock dominated the minors this year with a 2.39 ERA and went 15-3. In 12 innings in the bigs, that talent appears to translate. He now has a .75 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP.

Milone has also had success since being called up despite one rough outing. In 21 innings his ERA is 3.32 and his whip is 1.11. In the minors this year he had a 3.22 ERA and 155 Ks vs. only 16 walks. Not too shabby!

So who's it gonna be? And what are they going to do with the odd man out? Do you send him back to AAA and bring him up in case of injury? Do you make a middle reliever out of one of them?

IMO, Milone and Wang are the odd men out. Detwiler had pedigree and Davey Johnson loves him. Peacock is simply too dominant to ignore. That's not to say Milone won't get his shot, but it may not be at the start of the 2012 season.

cal_junior
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM
1. Srasburg
2. Zimmermann
3. Lannan
4. Wang
5. Peacock/Milone (based on spring)

Detweiler should go to the bullpen and I wouldn't be opposed to trading Lannan and/or brining in a FA.

nicefellow31
10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
1. Srasburg
2. Zimmermann
3. Lannan
4. Wang
5. Peacock/Milone (based on spring)

Detweiler should go to the bullpen and I wouldn't be opposed to trading Lannan and/or brining in a FA.

That looks like my lineup. There is some talk that Rizzo wants to get another starter but I think I would roll the dice with the guys we got. The Nats have so much young talent now, that I don't want to see any of them leave. Nice problem to have though.

Ibleedburgundy
10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Thing about Detwiler is, you call the guy up, give him a vote of confidence, and he rewards you with a 3.00 ERA in significant innings. And then you send him back down or to the bull pen? That doesn't seem right to me. He's already better as a rookie than Wang ever was. Look at Wang's career. He had two years where he greatly benefitted from huge run support and won 19 games despite his unspectacular 3.7 ERA.

There are other options here. Maybe you sign Wang and then trade him for a true lead off hitter - which is one big piece the Nats are missing IMO. Need a pest at the top of the order with a high OBP. Like a Brian Roberts.

Patrick
10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
1. Srasburg
2. Zimmermann
3. Lannan
4. Peaconk
5. Detwiler
Milon and Wang are the swing guys or as needed for starters.