PDA

View Full Version : Manning to skins?

Rickskins76
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Wondering what folks think about Peyton Manning possibly coming to the skins this offseason?

Personally if it involves us not drafting a QB in the first round I am against it. If we still draft a QB first round and take Manning as the place holder then I think that would be great. However I just don't see Manning coming here without us committing too much to him. His health concerns me and I don't know how long he will play for. Also, I don't think Kyle will allow him to run the offense effectively. What do you guys think since it seems to be popping up more and more places recently.

akhhorus
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
If it happened, whats the under/over for when Kyyyle benches him for Rex? lol

cal_junior
12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Wondering what folks think about Peyton Manning possibly coming to the skins this offseason?

Personally if it involves us not drafting a QB in the first round I am against it. If we still draft a QB first round and take Manning as the place holder then I think that would be great. However I just don't see Manning coming here without us committing too much to him. His health concerns me and I don't know how long he will play for. Also, I don't think Kyle will allow him to run the offense effectively. What do you guys think since it seems to be popping up more and more places recently.

Not an option IMO because I feel like his health will still be iffy when the draft rolls around. If we're going to commit tons of resources on less-than-sure thing I'd rather see us go after Luck.

CNYSkinFan
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I dont buy it. Our name pops up with every old player looking for a new contract and really since 2000 we have not been that team. However with the McNabb trade on his resume Shanny is going to be saddled with this rumor.

Skins7ny
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
IMHO, it is never going to happen, and I don't want it to happen.
First, Manning is going to have to be cut-a trade will result in an accelerated cap hit that the Colts cannot afford, and his market value is dimiished by his age and by the future uncertainly around his neck.
Second, we don't even know for sure if he will ever be cleared to play. I am not even sure that Manning himself knows if he ever will be cleared to play.
Third, even if he is cleared to play, he is one big hit to the head (how many of those have we seen this year) or one rough landing on the turf away from never being able to play again. With a prior neck surgery, his next one could be career-ending. Any team that trades for him is taking a big risk that he will be able to continue playing for any length of time.

The reason I wouldn't want him is because, as great as he has been, he has had one offensive coordinator (Tom Moore) and one system his entire career. He has not played in a West Coast offense. I am sure he wants another ring, but he cannot possible be as hungry for one as a rookie would be. Moreover, we don't know if he will come back and be the same player physicaly and mentally as he was prior to the neck surgery. Given his wealth and fame, he might not be able or willing, even subconsciously, to sell out for success the way we would need a QB to do. Asking a 35-year old QB to change teams, systems and cities from one in which he was an icon and had much success in order to learn a new system and work with the offensive talent on our roster-didn't we just try that two years ago? How did that work out for us?

Even if Manning is cut and won't cost us anything in a trade, you know he is not signing a injury-tiered contract: he is going to commaned millions of $$ that could best be spent improving the rest of our roster while a 1st-round rookie QB learns the system and starts for us for the next 10-12 years. Getting Manning would be a high-risk, high-reward scenario, but I think the risk is far too high. I would pass.

Besides, I am not convinced that Manning is coming back. He can walk into a broadcast booth tomorrow and get his big Frankenstien head fitted for a bust in Canton tomorrow-he might decide not to risk paralysis (heaven forbid) by playing anymore. He is probably holding out to see what the Colts do with his big bonus payment in March-if the Colts decline to pay it and cut him, he might retire.

akhhorus
12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I dont buy it. Our name pops up with every old player looking for a new contract and really since 2000 we have not been that team. However with the McNabb trade on his resume Shanny is going to be saddled with this rumor.

I could see him signing with the skins, but no one is going to trade for him unless he's 100% healthy. And he has an out clause in his new contract where the Colts can dump him for little cap penalty next spring(Link (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Manning-contract-has-out-clause-for-Colts.html)).

Ibleedburgundy
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't see how anyone who responded to the Colts tanking thread can possibly be against this move. According to you guys, merely adding QB Jesus to one of the worst teams automatically makes us a legit perennial superbowl contender. Since QB is the only position that matters, it really would be worth it to trade all our draft picks for him.

/facetiousness

Seriously, I think it would be a bad move and the Redskins would still find a way to suck.

akhhorus
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/mike-florio-on-peyton-manning-and-kyle-shanahan/2011/12/09/gIQA8ynFiO_blog.html)

“I don’t think Peyton plays for the Colts again,” Patrick said early on.

“I agree with that,” Florio replied. “I don’t think he will either.”

Florio then suggested that the Colts will not want to pay Manning the $28 million he’s due in the spring, and Manning wouldn’t want to delay the payment, meaning he would be cut loose.

“And I’m looking at the scenarios, I’m not looking at sort of the obvious places, except for Washington, I understand that,” Patrick said. “But then I’ve got to factor in Jerry Jones somewhere in here, and then New Orleans I know with Drew Brees and contract talks, so I don’t think you can rule out crazy scenarios here.”

“No you can’t,” Florio agreed. “But I think Peyton’s gonna want a team that pays him a ton of money and that has the pieces in place for him to be successful. And I don’t know that he’d want to go to Washington, because look at what’s in place there with Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan. Kyle wants to run that offense like a little kid with a joystick on the sideline. He wants the quarterback to just do whatever Kyle Shanahan wants. I think Kyle Shanahan’s younger than Peyton Manning, so I don’t think that’s gonna go over well if Peyton and Kyle Shanahan are trying to co-exist.”

cal_junior
12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/mike-florio-on-peyton-manning-and-kyle-shanahan/2011/12/09/gIQA8ynFiO_blog.html)

Despite the fact Mike "The Gossiping Lawyer" Florio isn't much of a source for anything, I agree with him that Manning to DC isn't going to happen.

akhhorus
12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Despite the fact Mike "The Gossiping Lawyer" Florio isn't much of a source for anything, I agree with him that Manning to DC isn't going to happen.

"Leave Kyle Alone" eh? lmao

cal_junior
12-09-2011, 11:22 AM
"Leave Kyle Alone" eh? lmao

Exactly

guess88
12-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Manning to DC as an OC to take over for Kyle??? Heeelllllls yeah!!!

oldskinfan
12-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Running the offense like a kid with a joystick... Priceless quote.

dogfight6
12-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Due to the language rules on the sight I can not say what I think of manning comming to the Skins. Keep the picks hire Akh as Player personal VP and the Skins will be fine.

Skins7ny
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I could see him signing with the skins, but no one is going to trade for him unless he's 100% healthy. And he has an out clause in his new contract where the Colts can dump him for little cap penalty next spring(Link (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Manning-contract-has-out-clause-for-Colts.html)).
As usual, your post is misleading. They may be able to pay him $1.5M to avoid the rest of his contract, but according to the article you attached, the buyout only applies if Manning never plays again. If he signs on with another team, the buyout does not apply.

Regardless, the Colts paid Manning a $20M signing bonus that would have been amortized for salary cap purposes over the 5-year life of the contract, at $4M per year. They probably took a $4M charge on their cap for 2011, plus the $3M roster bonus they paid at the start of the year,along with Manning's 2011 regular salary. If they cut or trade him, the remaining $16M of the signing bonus would accelerate onto the 2012 cap. That is what I was refering to. The Colts cannot afford to do that. The buyout you are referring to does not affect that one whit and is totally irrelevant to the situation.

Due to the language rules on the sight I can not say what I think of manning comming to the Skins. Keep the picks hire Akh as Player personal VP and the Skins will be fine.
Since Akhhorus pretty much defended every move Vinny and Dan made until around mid-2009, I imagine he would suck as a GM about as much as Vinny and Dan did. He always advocated trading draft picks for veterans, and if it were up to him, he'd have cut Santana Moss 4 years ago, leaving us with literally nothing at WR. I don't quite understand why anyone who has followed his posts over the years would think he has good judgment regarding personnel.

Skins7ny
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/august/manning-contract-details-emerge.html
It looks like they are charging the entire bonus money on a close-to-equal basis. I suspect it breaks down like this:
2011:
$3.4 salary
$4.0 1/5 of $20M bonus
$5.6 1/5 of $28M in remaining bonuses
$3.0 roster bonus paid
-------------
$16.0M as reported in article. If the Colts can buy Manning out at $1.5M, then that goes on their 2012 cap, along with the $16M accelerated cap charge for the $20M bonus paid last year. The 2012 salary and $28M remaining bonuses would presumably disappear as would the 2012 roster bonus. But a cap charge of $17.5M would nevertheless remain. I doubt that the Colts can afford this.

Don't take Akkhorus' posts at face value. As in this case, there is often more to it than he knows or posts.

Angel
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Manning wouldn't agree to play for the Skins in the first place, no way he'd put up with the Shanny's. I think if the Colts let Manning go he'll end up in Seattle.

Emmanouel8
12-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't know how in the hell Manning would ever end up in Washington under Shanahan. The article has it pretty much right, what on earth would Kyle and Mike be doing if Manning was here, assuming they're not crazy enough to try and get him to run the WCO (save the replies).

I see him going somewhere with a defensive oriented coach and established defense. I also think he'd prefer to stay in the AFC and a big market, so the Jets might be a great place for him to end up (Brady/Manning;Belicheck/Ryan) IF this thing happens.

The contract situation, as I understand it, looks like a difficult thing for the Colts to overcome and it appears Manning has the ability to make it even more difficult.

BIGREDSKINSFAN1963
12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Redskins have done some stupid things when it comes to signing big name free agents,and all of them other than london fletcher have been big time busts,so it would not shock me if snyder threw a fit and signed manning even if it would be awful for the skins and all the fans.manning is'nt stupid though,he would never come here and play behind this doofus line we got!

akhhorus
12-11-2011, 10:51 AM

I'd get fired in 15 minutes after the first time I told Snyder to feck off lol.